Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter

Showing 1-91 of 91 messages
Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Edgar Murillo 2/6/14 5:36 PM
Hi, I am a long time Google user.  I simply want to use Google search to look things up, not to have a political or ideological agenda put in my face.  My request is simple, please stop using the Google Doodles for political/ideological purposes.  Thank you.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Matt Storms 2/6/14 6:14 PM
Then just do not visit the Google homepage. Why anyone wants to visit a blank page with a company logo boggles my mind. Just use chrome and do not set a homepage. Then you can type whatever you want in the URL bar and that will do the search for you. 
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter ABC_News 2/6/14 6:20 PM
Google uses its ineffable position of influence to insert its political views, you see it all the time. The most prominent is the anti-traditional "Merry Christmas" being snubbed every year, even though their Doodle is put up on December 25 and no other holidays are occurring at that moment.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/6/14 6:31 PM
ABC,

This was the first year in about ten when none of the other Religious Holy Days actually corresponded.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/6/14 6:38 PM
Edgar,

You really need to read the Olympic Charter in full. It is neither political or ideological.

1. Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the
qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism
seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good
example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.
2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development
of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the
preservation of human dignity.
3. The Olympic Movement is the concerted, organised, universal and permanent action,
carried out under the supreme authority of the IOC, of all individuals and entities who
are inspired by the values of Olympism. It covers the five continents. It reaches its
peak with the bringing together of the world’s athletes at the great sports festival, the
Olympic Games. Its symbol is five interlaced rings.
4. The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of
practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which
requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.
5. Recognising that sport occurs within the framework of society, sports organisations
within the Olympic Movement shall have the rights and obligations of autonomy, which
include freely establishing and controlling the rules of sport, determining the structure
and governance of their organisations, enjoying the right of elections free from any
outside influence and the responsibility for ensuring that principles of good governance
be applied.
6. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race,
religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic
Movement.
7. Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter
and recognition by the IOC.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Cary Paul 2/6/14 7:12 PM
I agree, Please stop pushing your political and ideological agenda in my face. If you want to protest do not subject your users to it.
I am sure that during Christmas you are not going to put up a cross for the fear of offending someone but the Gay flag is okay?
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Maki Badfox 2/6/14 7:14 PM
Google regularly changes their logo to reflect important world events and themes.  This will not change.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KORPG Kevin 2/6/14 7:55 PM
If you're offended by the current doodle, here are some alternatives:

http://www.google.com/firefox
http://www.bing.com
http://www.duckduckgo.com
Avoid google.com for 24 hours.
Shut down your computer, go old school with the Dewey Decimal system and read a good book from your local library.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter frontlinefighter 2/6/14 8:34 PM
I agree. It's frustrating that Google would take something as international as the Olympic games and use it as a tool for promoting controversial views. Google tracks and saves all your searches and IP address anyway. Try startpage.com and protect your privacy.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Badass Biker 2/6/14 9:04 PM
@The C man

It does not mention sexual orientation, neither does the Universal Declaration of Human Right. It mentions race, religion, politics and gender.

I understand that there's a concerted effort by Western European and North American countries to include sexual orientation in it but currently, there's no change.

What Google did today was discriminate the majority of the world on the basis of politics.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter bluequoll 2/6/14 9:07 PM
The C Man,

I don't know whether you've missed the point, or whether it wasn't made strongly enough, but the issue as I see it is that Google has taken a statement from the Olympic Charter, and politicised it by dispensing with the Olympic colours and substituting colours normally associated with Gay Rights.

I defend Google's right to display whatever it wants on its own company homepage but, at a time when the world is celebrating the the noble ideals of the Olympic Charter, I believe Google has shown serious lack of judgment in attempting to use the Olympics to promote a single socio-political cause.

This is not only denigrating the Olympic organization, but also doing the Gay Rights movement a serious disservice.

The statement from the Olympic Charter on the homepage is enough to make the point. Please put the official Olympic colours back into the Winter Olympics Doodle.
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
(unknown) 2/6/14 9:35 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Ilya Fedulov 2/6/14 10:07 PM
I agree.
And if all agree that any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race,religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement., then why would you even make sex orientation compatible to discuss during Olympics? Why to bring up gay colors on my page?
During Olympics, all political crap, wars, gay propaganda etc. must be stopped for 16 days at least.
(unknown) 2/6/14 10:21 PM <This message has been deleted.>
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Cynthia Oliver 2/7/14 1:11 AM
I also do not want to see the gay flag. I am tired of having a sexual sin shoved in my face at every turn.
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Michał Zając 2/7/14 1:38 AM
I'm disgusted. Not only by viewing this, but also by the fact that Google company supports LGBT movements which destroy western civilization at its basis (family and christianity). Russia is an independent superpower with its own culture! Don't try to invade it for having its own stance! It reminds me of American tendency of attacking independent states with an excuse of "bringing democracy" (which doesn't work there).
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter taipou 2/7/14 2:22 AM
On Friday, 7 February 2014 11:38:35 UTC+2, Michał Zając  wrote:
> I'm disgusted. Not only by viewing this, but also by the fact that Google company supports LGBT movements


http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/our-corporate-equality-effort.html

This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter DarkUFO - Blogger Top Contributor 2/7/14 2:45 AM
"not force crap like that down our throats."

Who exactly is forcing you to use Google Services?

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Michał Zając 2/7/14 2:46 AM
This confirms my words, that it's not just random. To my people it is a cultural agression of decadent values in the public space! And that is what people themselves do in Poland with invading public space. This rainbow was put in one of the central squares of Warsaw, the square of the Jesus Christ the Savior, in front of the church in his name. It was burned I don't know how many times.. 6 or 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBM164E1n0

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 3:10 AM
Being Gay is not political. Being so anti anybody who is different is the sign of a bigot. World War II was wasted if the bigots won.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter David VanSickle 2/7/14 3:41 AM
I think Mike articulates well what really "tolerance" is becoming, and if this article isn't enough to convince you, just ask Phil Robertson, "Duck Commander" http://www.mikehuckabee.com/2014/1/a-new-meaning-for-tolerance.  
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Mine Mine 2/7/14 3:58 AM
Straight people have rights too! Most of us are getting tired of all this gay agenda getting shoveled down our throats. Enough is enough!! Russia has its own laws, respect them or don't go there.
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 4:35 AM
Sorry guys but as far as I am concerned bigotry is an even worse sickness.

One of the proudest days of my life was when my eldest son asked me to meet him at a shop owned by parents of one of his friends. I asked which of his friends that was.
"Tony, the one with the curly hair".
I went to the shop and met Tony and his parents. Reason for my proud moment? My son, at the age of twelve, had missed out of the description of his friend that he was Indian. That is a colour blindness I am proud to be associated with.

Take a look at who was targeted during the Shoah (Holocaust) and see which side you would have been on. If you think any one of those groups was correct you earn yourself the right to the title Bigot.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Mine Mine 2/7/14 5:30 AM
Just because someone disagrees with your gay agenda and way of life, you compare us to a nazi party? Really C Man? I never once said KILL all the gays, put them in concentration camps. What I am saying is I am sick and tired of all this gay agenda being shoveled down my throat. You keep pushing and you'll turn what is left of my tolerance to hate. I am sick of being forced! I'm sick of the govt trying force people with morals into perversion.  
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter jeandiata 2/7/14 5:49 AM
Man...this doodle was totally wasted on me.  I noticed the colors but didn't think gay rainbow at all - I just thought of the sports that they depicted.  

 "five interlocking rings, colored blue, yellow, black, green, and red on a white field,"

I always think orange is one of the colors and thought the purple may be been used for the black just for asthetics.  Plus people have been using rainbow colors for a lot longer than the GLBT movement - simply because primary colors arranged in rainbow form is aesthetically pleasing.


But now that I've been forced to see the political rainbow.....meh.   It doesn't bother me one way or the other.   I think the POTUS is leading this charge though.  He did appoint 3 gays to represent the USA at the Olympics and he did it precisely because of the situation in Russia.  I would expect to see more demonstrations as the Olympics continue.

I'm firmly of the stance - of live and let live and don't hurt people.

(unknown) 2/7/14 6:21 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter [email address] 2/7/14 6:22 AM
start transmission 07022014 1812msk

roger that g-station acknowledged /break

transfer protocol initiated
google->yandexru
gmail->mailru
youtube->rutube
chrome->various
goog stock flush
/break

mission success
maj brin congratulations in order
olympic matreshka has been dispatched with fsbformerkgb courier
/break

standby further instructions

end transmission

hq mordor

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Dee Eason 2/7/14 7:06 AM
In Google's "10 Things We Know to be True" under the "What We Believe" tab:
"2.It’s best to do one thing really, really well.
We do search. With one of the world’s largest research groups focused exclusively on solving search problems, we know what we do well, and how we could do it better."
Take your own advice, Google: avoid activism and stick with search!
(unknown) 2/7/14 7:29 AM <This message has been deleted.>
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 7:57 AM
Martin,

How do you know who's parents were married or not?
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 8:09 AM
Mine Mine,

They did not mention killing anybody in Germany all through the 1930's but eventually the killing started. There are places in the world where Gays are either incarcerated or sentenced to death. If nobody stands up for a freedom then other freedoms will be lost. Take a look at the countries where being a Christian causes you to be persecuted. This is a freedom issue and when you deprive somebody of a freedom you lead the way to being deprived of other freedoms as well.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Jessica Schwartz 2/7/14 8:31 AM
Hello everyone,

This is a firm reminder that per our forum posting guidelines, we don't allow the promotion of hatred toward groups of people based on their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity.

We don't like banning participants from the forum, but know if you violate this guideline, you will be banned.

Thanks,
Jessica
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter [email address] 2/7/14 8:46 AM
Jessica, question for you - what EXACTLY are you trying to achieve by posting six-color doodle?

Can we have an official statement from Google?

Thanks

Respectfully, politically correct and tolerant, yours

A.

Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Erick Chino C. 2/7/14 9:20 AM
Google,please remove your gay flag colors from the homepage.It is an immoral lifestyle,a lawless lifestyle,one that embraces a death culture.
Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Erick Chino C. 2/7/14 9:20 AM
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter HH-G 2/7/14 10:15 AM
Google, you have to remove the Gay flag, because you are offending millions of people. You CANNOT use your main search page for propaganda of your own opinions (I am not going to talk how sick it is) and/or implementing political orders. The idea of a search page is to serve all people of the planet without any discrimination or offense.
You are breaking your own statement and lying. If you go to http://www.google.com/policies/ , your big text title says "We are committed to improving your security, protecting your privacy, and building simple tools to give you choice and control."  CHOICE?  NOT TRUE!  I am not even talking about privacy issues... You are becoming a cheap business...

Since Google's sexual orientation is well known, I am not sure if they are adjusting my search results to show certain pages first.
I suggest all of us switch to other search engines.
And I would love to see a class action lawsuit is organized against this particular gay flag doodle.
Thanks.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 10:22 AM
HH-G,

When did computer programs get to have sexual orientations?
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter HH-G 2/7/14 10:47 AM
C-man, you're missing the sarcasm. You could have also understood the company owners/management behind the software. I thought it was pretty simple.

Although, wait a few more decades and you'll get software with sexual orientations...

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter (unknown) 2/7/14 11:06 AM
I completely agree with Edgar! So do most people!!! Google, I simply want to use your services to search and do internet work. I do not want to have your political and ideological agendas forced on me!! Google please stop acting like a political dictator and stay within your role of providing services. Thank you!!
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 11:10 AM
HH-G,

You mean we will have Androids with sexual orientations. I think I'll swap my Blackberry phones for Androids in that case.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 11:12 AM
Em,

Where do you get "most people" from? There's only 24 in this thread.
(unknown) 2/7/14 11:47 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 2/7/14 11:52 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Oliver Smout 2/7/14 12:05 PM
@Michal Zajac,
---I'm disgusted. Not only by viewing this, but also by the fact that Google company supports LGBT movements which destroy western civilization at its basis (family and christianity) Blah blah blah....----

Christianity has destroyed more in history and in  present times than any peace loving LGBT family  could ever do. Instead they create, contribute and bring color in the world. I wish for you that one day you will be as civilized and open minded as the Google company is.

(unknown) 2/7/14 12:05 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Tommy Udo 2/7/14 12:12 PM
Switch to Bing.com. But it won't be before too long that they'll be plastering their political agenda on their homepages as well.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KORPG Kevin 2/7/14 12:23 PM
Cynthia,

No one is forcing you to use Google.

The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 12:32 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter StevieD_Web 2/7/14 12:56 PM
I am tired of all this hate and anti people speech.  If you don't like somebody, get off my planet.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter notting 2/7/14 1:02 PM
I noticed over the last several hours that the majority of comments disagreeing with what Google has done have been DELETED while some of you who support Google blatantly waving a Gay flag (thus contradicting its business agenda to provide services to all people WITHOUT prejudice) keep posting here. Everyone who thinks this is great is treading in dangerous waters. Big business should not be dictating what societies and governments do. Google is NOT the self appointed moral leader of the world. Google waves a Gay flag but it allows violence, pornography, hate speech on its services? Google could have made a statement saying they support diversity. Instead they antagonize people worldwide by shoving ideological propaganda of a SELECTED group (not all groups) down our throats.    
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KORPG Kevin 2/7/14 1:11 PM
As a corporation, Google has complete authority to police their forums in whatever form or fashion they choose. You don't have free speech rights here.

Google also has the sole right to determine what is on its search page.

Your rights begin and end in your choice to use Google or not.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Ben Griffiths 2/7/14 1:17 PM
notting, I see a rainbow and a worthy statement, you see two guys banging each other - who's got the issue?

Also please stop using the phrase "down our throats".

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Ben Griffiths 2/7/14 1:19 PM
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 1:34 PM
Notting,

I'm guessing there are two reasons for posts being deleted.
  1. Some have looked at other posts and no longer wish to be associated with a hate fest.
  2. Some have broken the rules so badly by preaching hate they have broken the rules of the forum.

Two that attacked another poster would have been taken down automatically.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Dee Eason 2/7/14 1:38 PM
   Unfortunately, for some people, there is no alternative.  My children are "forced" to use Google by their school. They are "forced" to submit their school- and homework via google docs and communicate via their school gmail account.  
   It is unethical for Google to expose minors to homosexual propaganda (an obvious attempt to desensitize them).  First CNN Student News, now Google (**shakes head**).
    I guess it's time to approach the school about dropping Google products, and to begin the laborious process of changing email providers myself.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KORPG Kevin 2/7/14 1:47 PM
There are always alternatives. They just aren't as easy as doing nothing. You appear to already be identifying some.

You signed up for the task when you became an involved parent. It is your job as your children's guardian to undo whatever negative influences you feel your kids encounter. And while I find your concerns misplaced, I commend you for at least being concerned.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Jeff Straw 2/7/14 1:53 PM
This doesn't remove the offending image from Google Now on my phone.

How can I tell Google that I do not want to see political statements or opinions when I go to search or go to Google Now on my phone.   Google, I don't care about your agenda and you obviously don't respect my opinion on the matter.   I find your 'rainbow' image being forced onto my phone as a direct attack on my religious beliefs.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KORPG Kevin 2/7/14 1:56 PM
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Jeff Straw 2/7/14 2:03 PM
Right, who said they could have that symbol for a flag anyway.  The rainbow was a sign given to Noah after the human race was all but destroyed by God for being sinners.  Now they want us to say it's ok to act on gay impulses.  We can love all mankind as people, but we don't have to be OK with their actions.  We need a campaign for good.  We'll call it "TAKE BACK THE RAINBOW" !!
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Loren Jones 2/7/14 2:05 PM
Agree.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Ben Griffiths 2/7/14 2:11 PM
Good plan, but won't we need God to destroy the world again first?
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter PoorKnight 2/7/14 2:25 PM
I absolutely agree.  Google is a product not a political entity... or is it?

I also wonder what "right" they are supporting?  What "right" is being violated?  What "right" did I have that someone who has same-sex attraction not have?  We both could have married a willing partner of the opposite sex and neither of us could marry someone of the same sex.

So where's the rights violation?  Insurance?  Insurance is now a right?  Medical decisions?  A simple medical power of attorney grants that.  Medical Benefits?  Again, those are now "rights"?

No, the whole argument of "rights violations" is a straw-man argument.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Janet Clemmerson 2/7/14 5:07 PM
I feel the same way. If people want to live that way, go ahead, but don't force it on me.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/7/14 5:18 PM
Janet,

Since when did showing a group of six colours force anything on you. Trust me, if you are heterosexual looking at the flag colours will not change you.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter bethofmorrowind 2/7/14 5:53 PM
"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter StevieD_Web 2/7/14 8:16 PM
Thank you The C Man.

Hades Bells, I didn't even know the gay peeps used a rainbow flag as their symbol so when I saw the Google Doodle I thought, how nice, Google is honoring the spirit of the Olympics.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Vito Cornelius 2/8/14 7:55 AM
If you were to open your eyes and mind, you could just use google as the tool it is intended, and find that most Americans actually support LGBT movements such as gay marriage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States

Check your facts, understand them, THEN speak.  Or you could continue to watch Fox News, your choice.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Michał Zając 2/8/14 8:37 AM
The fact that propaganda is successful in some countries doesn't change much. America IS NOT the only country where Google used the rainbow flag. Here is an article on the website of the Polish version of Newsweek - "Newsweek Polska". It is known for promoting cultural marxism and being supportive of LGBT. It writes about the Google manifest.
http://swiat.newsweek.pl/karta-olimpijska-google-o-soczi-google-przeciwko-dyskryminacji-lgbt-w-rosji,artykuly,280341,1.html
Under that article there is a poll with biased questions that suggest an answer. It goes like this:
"Do you support Google protest against discrimination of LGBT in Russia?"
1. Yes, disrimination based on anything is a total primitivism - [1%]
2. No, Google shouldn't interfere with internal laws of other countries - [1%]
3. No, I'm a homophobe and I support Russian laws - [98%]

So even with biased questions, when people are be suggested that being against is 'homophobic', they still have a strong opinion.

I also linked the movie with one of the 6 or 7 times a 6-color rainbow was burned in Warsaw. It was burned because it is standing on the square of Jesus Christ the Savior, in front of the church in his name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBM164E1n0
Look at how people react. It is because of insolence of LGBT movements. We prefer marginal phenomenons to function in peace on the margin of public life, not in the center. Nobody cares about gays, but promoting it is not healthy for our civilization based on a strong family, thanks to which people are happy.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter DarwinLaw 2/8/14 12:08 PM
The gay discussion is no longer about human rights, at least in western world. Now it shifted into policy and politics - do we want to promote gay values  or not. It is Ok to talk about it, but unfortunately LGBT community cannot do it without resorting to hysteria and name calling. And second I don't think taking stance on controversial policy is doing any good to google or Olympic movement.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KeithR (Sweeper) 2/9/14 1:20 AM
On Friday, 7 February 2014 23:35:52 UTC+11, The C Man ((mobile laureate)elder advisor)  wrote:
> Sorry guys but as far as I am concerned bigotry is an even worse sickness.
>
> One of the proudest days of my life was when my eldest son asked me to meet him at a shop owned by parents of one of his friends. I asked which of his friends that was.
> "Tony, the one with the curly hair".
> I went to the shop and met Tony and his parents. Reason for my proud moment? My son, at the age of twelve, had missed out of the description of his friend that he was Indian. That is a colour blindness I am proud to be associated with.
>
> Take a look at who was targeted during the Shoah (Holocaust) and see which side you would have been on. If you think any one of those groups was correct you earn yourself the right to the title Bigot.

Stupid argument, C Man, the boy couldn't help being born Indian.  Despite everything claimed no one was ever born gay.  That's just an excuse for a choice they don;t want to change.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Smerry Buck 2/9/14 8:56 AM
>> ... Despite everything claimed no one was ever born gay.  That's just an excuse for a choice they don;t want to change.<<
Oh Please, this is a thread pivoting on a Google Doodle. No need to drag in religious "science", making an open invite for mad hatters to spread vile.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter The C Man ((mobile laureate) elder advisor) 2/9/14 9:40 AM
Keith,


"the boy couldn't help being born Indian"

That's a nasty phrase. Like saying "I couldn't help being born white". The boy wasn't ashamed of being Indian. I'm not ashamed of being white or being born to the Jewish religion.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KeithR (Sweeper) 2/9/14 5:45 PM
Hi Haunting, nothing to do with religion.  This is simple psychological science - the human is the only species whose infant will grow like its surroundings - if raised with dogs, will run on all fours and bark.  No one is completely "born that way" although there are genetic propensities that influence our choices, they are still choices.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KeithR (Sweeper) 2/9/14 5:49 PM
You're right, I was cranky at the time with the charges of bigotry being thrown ant anyone who objected to having this agenda pushed in our faces.  Objectors are not haters.  Accusations of bigot and hater are the tools of people who really don't have a valid argument for their cause.

I will edit my post to use more accurate language.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KeithR (Sweeper) 2/9/14 5:58 PM
No, can't edit at this level.

What I meant to say is that your argument is spurious since (a) people here are not expressing an objection to gay folk themselves, the objection is to Google tweaking the Olympic symbol to make an moral statement and (b) your example involves a distinction resulting from genetics, not growth choices so doesn't transfer to this situation.

My children were raised in a household of mixed race including native Australian, Maori and Fijian children.  I don't take any pride in their acceptance of that situation because it's totally natural.

Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Fuzzy 2/9/14 7:22 PM
Plus, if you go to the official Sochi page http://www.sochi2014.com/, you will see that the events are on rainbow colors already.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KeithR (Sweeper) 2/9/14 8:32 PM
On Monday, 10 February 2014 14:22:37 UTC+11, Fuzzy  wrote:
> Plus, if you go to the official Sochi page http://www.sochi2014.com/, you will see that the events are on rainbow colors already.

...rainbow colours perhaps, but not rainbow order!  Perhaps if Google had chosen to select six of the Sochi icons, there would be no debate.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Smerry Buck 2/11/14 6:20 AM
Keith,

 
>>This is simple psychological science - the human is the only species whose infant will grow like its surroundings - if raised with dogs, will run on all fours and bark.  No one is completely "born that way" although there are genetic propensities that influence our choices, they are still choices.<<
 
That's utterly incorrect, because: All species (being approx. above insects in the evolutionary tree/bush) will grow like their surroundings, though limited to what the physical reality of the specie(s) is/are (limitations given by the genetic make).
 
Maybe you in your youth made a choice in your sexual orientation, maybe you wasn't too hardwired as to gender preference on sexuality - but your personal experiences does not qualify as majority about how people are generally wired for sexuality.
There's simply way too many people who's saying that they were "born that way" to beleive that they ever made something categorisable as a choice.
Granted, a fairly small minority may have been born with choice (bi-sexuals springing to mind), but believing that choice is generally resonable to assume for the majority, seems delusional. (Why on earth would any sizeable minority choose what can only cause themselves troubles. There's still places where you can get thrown into prison for years, for making the "wrong choice". Yet, a minority people seem to keep making the "wrong choice" for absolutely no apparent logical benefit to themselves.)
 
Sorry Keith, but you are, as far as I can tell, being religoius about it. I'm not necessarily implying any deity, but certainly implying dogmatic unsubstantiated claims.
Though, you do by effectively saying "not religion, but science" come accross as somthing like e.g. creationist "science". (and if I offended any creationists here, by putting the adject word "science" into quotes, then ... boo-hoo)
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Thomas P. 2/11/14 11:06 AM
While it could be argued that google.ru (the Russian Google domain) was the most relevant, then I'd suggest that'd be an obvious mistake. Because Google isn't on about this as yet another big American company, venturing into foreign policiy. And that's why it ran on all Google domains.
 
If in doubt about the back-stories, then ... it goes back years, and continues to this day.
Using the Olympic games as an opportunity to target a problem, which is most current in Russia, yet exist fairly world wide (to varying degrees) - Well, I not only fail to see the problem, but see it as rather much more thoughtful & targeted than posted adverts for diapers or dental whatever in the streets.
 
Note: Avoiding all Doodles, can be done by avoiding the front page, e.g. by
_____
P.S: As to "denigrating the Olympic organization", then IOC is doing great themselves ; try a search for [ IOC corruption ] (The cocktail of Sports & Money, doesn't seem to attract altruistic idealists).
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter UrbanGirl Paris 2/15/14 3:19 AM
amen
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Steven Bristol 3/8/14 3:18 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm late to this, but the level of ignorance and quasi-repressed hatred expressed both in the comments and thumbs up/down is crushing.  If you seriously do not understand the difference between putting up a cross on Christmas and supporting gay rights, you need serious help.  Let me clue you in.  Do you know the origin of Christmas?  Was it originally Jesus' birthday celebration?  Psh, of course not.  Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday - it's a re-purposed Pagan holiday. Furthermore, Christmas is not Jesus' birthday.  So, it's a day early Christians reclaimed from the Pagans on which to celebrate the birth of someone who wasn't born on that day. That is the most tenuous link I think I've ever seen. Finally, even if there was a brief time period where Christmas was simply about the birth of Jesus, it's certainly not that way now.  Christmas is a holiday used for gift-giving and spending time with family, and is a way for commercial industries to make an extremely significant amount of money.
Secondly - I'm not gay, but anyone who does not support gay rights is on the wrong side of history.  Would you/ do you object to celebrations of great black historical figures?  Isn't that pushing an ideological "agenda?"  How about great women?  Whose right is it to tell me that blacks, women, or any other historically repressed minority (like homosexuals) should be appreciated?  (I'm continuing your line of thought to its obvious conclusion - those are not -MY- feelings).
The (final, rather offensive and ridiculous) mistake you made here is viewing gay rights as a political issue.  It's not.  The rights of all people to certain freedoms and safeties ("God-given rights" sound familiar?) is the concern of all people in an advanced thinking society.  Those who do not support equal rights for all are, in my opinion, deserving of the hate, anger, and vitriol they spew against those who are different in any way.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not religious.  However, I'm also not gay, Liberal, left-leaning, or a Democrat.  I'm just a person with empathy and sympathy, and think it's disgusting that we have to have a conversation like this in 2014.  You're lagging so far behind; it's time to 'catch up to the rest of the class,' so to speak.
Ugh.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter Steven Bristol 3/8/14 3:34 AM
I know this post is a month old, but this is just unbelievable.  There is no accounting for cultural differences, I know, but so many foreigners despise the USA and consider their country to be so much more advanced.  I wonder if you think that about your country.  You must, since you speak of the burning of the gay flag as though it's something to be proud of.  Do you consider black people property?  Would you have joined in rioting against blacks during the era of slavery? Would you have joined in the murder of Jews by the train full during the Holocaust?  Hitler had the Jews as his innocent target; the former USSR, Putin, et. al. have the gays are their innocent target.  It's despicable and disgusting, and I wish our president would take a stand against this hatred (but he won't; he's nearly useless).  
The Jesus Christ who you speak so highly of would despise you.  I was raised in a religious family, but no longer practice Christianity.  I did something, though, that I gather many of you and your bigot friends have never done - I read the Bible, from cover to cover.  Jesus didn't hate gays.  Jesus never condemned homosexual behavior.  I repeat, Jesus NEVER condemned homosexual behavior. Either you don't wish to see or refuse to.  If you think Jesus wanted people to hate gays, blacks, women, whatever minority you wish to choose, you clearly have never read the Bible.  YOU HAVE BEEN LIED TO. Even if he had, his statement to "love thy neighbor as you would thyself" covers all people.  Are you really that blind, or do you just need an excuse to bash the gays?  I'm positive it's the latter.  Just be aware that, if God, Jesus, Heaven and Hell are real, Jesus would never accept you into Heaven. YOU are the abomination in the eyes of Jesus Christ.  I am not religious, but I respect Jesus, who preached love and compassion.  Open your eyes.  What you are doing is practicing hatred and bigotry.  You are hard at work, doing Satan's bidding.  You should repent for your hatred and sins before you meet your maker - but, I must say, if Christianity is true, I won't feel too bad when I'm accepted into Heaven and you are not.
Re: Sochi Google Doodle Olympic Charter KeithR (Sweeper) 3/9/14 3:38 PM
Steven, this thread is not about hating homosexual people - it is about appropriate ways to campaign.  You can call me bigoted and I can call you immoral and misinformed, but that takes the debate nowhere.  Please don't use the name-calling technique.

On Saturday, 8 March 2014 22:34:07 UTC+11, Steven Bristol  wrote:
> ...


>
> The Jesus Christ who you speak so highly of would despise you.  I was raised in a religious family, but no longer practice Christianity.  I did something, though, that I gather many of you and your bigot friends have never done - I read the Bible, from cover to cover.  Jesus didn't hate gays.

Of course not, Jesus came to teach us to love everyone, but he also taught us to hate sin.

> Jesus never condemned homosexual behavior.  I repeat, Jesus NEVER condemned homosexual behavior. Either you don't wish to see or refuse to.  If you think Jesus wanted people to hate gays, blacks, women, whatever minority you wish to choose, you clearly have never read the Bible.

These two statements are different. Jesus condemned all behaviour that was against the law by stating that He "came to fulfil the law".  He didn't condemn idolators, thieves, liars, murderers, adulterers, fornicators or homosexuals, but there is no doubt that He believed all that behaviour to be (as the Bible clearly states) an abhorrence to the LORD.  I wonder if you have actually read the whole Bible?

More topics »