Feature Request: Make available offline on other device

Showing 1-53 of 53 messages
Feature Request: Make available offline on other device tricki 7/20/12 7:42 AM
I use Drive to quickly transfer files from my PC to my Android phone. 
I often do this at work so when I'm on my way home (I don't have a data connection but wireless internet at work) I can use those files.
But each time I have to add it to Drive on my PC, wait until it's synced, take my phone, start Drive, find all the files and make them available offline.

It would be great if I could specify on my PC on which devices it should be available offline.

Or perhaps if I was able to make a folder available offline including all files being added to it in the future.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Teresa - Docs & Drive Community Manager 7/20/12 12:52 PM
Hey - thanks for the request! Certainly makes sense and I'll pass it on. 
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device jonnybgood 8/19/12 9:25 AM
Definitely agree. I have 1000s of MP3s in my 'Music' folder. Surely i don't have to manually make each one available offline???
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Papa Bear 8/20/12 6:22 PM
@jonnybgood

Have you seen the GDrive Chrome extension - Drive Tunes https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/labgcacinobdnkfndodfkfeabbjckbnj
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Anaximandros 10/1/12 2:55 AM
I concur - a much desired feature.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device jakesyl 12/16/12 11:26 AM
use google play music, doesnt count toward your drive storage
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Thjalfi 12/21/12 6:02 AM
For that you would have to be able to specify on which device (if you are using more than one) the folder should be available offline, but I'm sure this should not be a problem for Google implement.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device novoGi Admin 12/24/12 7:23 AM
Hi Teresa

can pass on my request to add size column in Google Drive, to have the ability fro folder offline as well, Thanks Ronen 
(unknown) 12/27/12 1:40 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Wise,VA 12/28/12 10:55 AM
Currently, I do not know of a way to choose which devices it should be available offline. However, it is possible to have an entire folder available offline. Google Drive supports offline folder sync on a desktop computer, but not on Android. If you wish to have offline sync on Android, consider switching to Box client. It support offline sync on both desktop, cloud and android. I tried it and it works great. 
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device James Brewer 1/2/13 5:18 PM
Absolutely, easily done if could just allow folders to be selected for offline...I was using Dropbox which claimed that all devices would be synced automatically but they don't...then got into a argument with the moderators because they didn't like me posting this issue under mobile apps, bugs and troubleshooting, and application requests.

The moderators didn't have any ideas on how to fix the issue or wanted any dialog concerning the fact that Dropbox advertises that all files uploaded to drop box automatically syncs to all devices..

anyway..

yes, if the devices are registered somehow with goole when you install google drive, why can't google drive pull up a check box asking which devices we want to push the folders or files to.

Or as suggested, why can we not select a folder for offline viewing, then subfolders and files would auto update when our mobile device has a data connection.

Cloud computer is great but only if you have access to the cloud.

What most people fail to realize was that in the early days of computers and networks...it was essentially cloud computing...all applications ran and data were stored on central servers or mainframes and not on the local user computers.  The issue came that when the mainframes or servers went down, all work stopped.  So with Novel and windows came "shared processing" ahh...now I could have all my files on my machine along with the applications to open them and it really didn't what the servers or mainframes did....I could work and then upload what was needed when they came back online...

Cloud computing is not new, it has just transformed a bit..but the day that you cant access your files on the cloud..then what...
(unknown) 1/2/13 5:38 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device James Brewer 1/2/13 5:41 PM
Teresa;

I am an avid google + and apps user as well as facilitating our entire faculty and staff to use google products, but when I see posts deleted here because they give an alternative product to resolve an issue that google currently does solve it makes me ask myself is google really any different than most in terms of trying to actually make things better.

The post by Wise Va about using box client is valid, it will allow you to chose auto sync with devices to include mobile devices.

I have been around with several products with the exact same issue that we are talking about here,  I put data on the cloud in an effort to have it sync to other devices that currently have a data connection...I want and need some data to sync just in case I am some were and need it but don't have access the cloud.

Examples would be copy of etickets for airlines movies etc...copies of passports, birth certs, contracts,  I travel a lot and wifi hotspots are easier to deal with than roaming data plans...but a lot of remote places don't have either...so I depend on data syncing when I do hit a hotspot and it should happen as automatic as my email client getting my emails automatically when the wifi connection is made, without me having to go in and ensure that I have selected each individual file for offline viewing on the device in question.

It is amazing that almost every cloud solution...ie skydive, Dropbox, google drive, did not consider it or discarded this when they went live with their service.  I know its 2013..but still not everyone has access to the internet 24/7 365...yet...

So if others have found solutions even if they are a competitors product, there post shouldn't be deleted, its the spirit of competition that forces companies to improve its product.

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device TJ Allard 1/11/13 6:34 AM
hmmmI don't see the answer, am I missing something?
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device ghound 1/16/13 6:52 AM
I agree. Please could you add the ability to make a folder available offline then you will actually be a reasonable alternative to Dropbox.

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device sandy-beach 1/25/13 9:25 AM
Dito, if we could have an option to do sync all of google drive offline or to select the folders so everything in those folders get sync'd offline that would be perfect.

I think most people would just sync everything in google drive, but this would bring your product to be more inline with what the competition like dropbox does.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device sandy-beach 1/25/13 9:26 AM
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Luiz Henrique Lana 3/3/13 4:21 PM
That's a great idea.
i have google drive installed in my phone, tablet and laptop and thus I'd like to be able to have everything available in all the devices even when I'm not connected to internet (e.g. trips and outside known wifi's coverage area in general). Having that I will be 100% satisfied with Google Drive.

Cheers,

Luiz

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device vorace 3/21/13 7:22 AM
Same here, I would like offline folder sync for google drive in android. Is it implemented yet?
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device rateldajer 4/3/13 11:26 AM
Any update on when or if this is available? I would simply like to sync entire folders on my Drive account. I have  a directory of small html files I want available on my android device. It has hundreds of files and new files may be added. So i don't want to select them separately for offline saving. Neither dropbox or drive seem to allow making an entire directory offline. Why not?
(unknown) 5/2/13 3:21 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Massimo Schivalocchi 5/2/13 3:26 AM
Hi Teresa, any news about this topic?
Remember that "Make a folder available offline" is a fundamental feature if you would like to use Google Drive on a mobile device.
"Make all Google Drive content available offline" could be a replacement.

Having to set each file available offline onto each mobile device is an absurd waste of time and the way to prevent real use of Google Drive onto a mobile device.

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device James Brewer 5/9/13 6:45 PM
I went and looked at "my discussions" and was surprised to find this one "completed"

Well then...Is there now a way to sync a folder down to my Android Phone??

If not...for a price SugarSync has this option, while I hate the idea of moving to another cloud storage provider having already been through G Drive, Dropbox, Icloud...

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device James Brewer 5/9/13 7:10 PM
WHY IS MARKED AS COMPLETED???
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device James Brewer 5/9/13 7:35 PM
wow....now you have "offline" on your mobile device "G drive" app...and on your G Drive webpage..but this is only for documents you create using a Google app...so you can work "off line" in google presentation, google doc, etc...when your internet connection goes down oh..and you can only access them using Chrome browser...it's not a folder per say..so you can not move other files into it and have them available to a mobile device.

GOGGLE: ALLOW A FOLDER TO BE SYNC'D DOWN TO OUR PHONES...SELECTING INDIVIDUAL FILES IS RETARDED, AND A COMPLETE WASTE TIME WHEN WE HAVE SEVERAL FILES TO SELECT..I WANT TO CREATE A FOLDER CALLED   MOBILE, OR PHONE, and then on my PHONE select this folder for automatic SYNC/DOWNLOAD when connection is available of course.

WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT ABOUT THIS?????????

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device James Brewer 5/9/13 7:40 PM
Once they allow the A FOLDER TO BE PULLED DOWN to your phone..then you would just select it on each device you have ...Now I can see in the future it would be nice to select the device from your G Drive web interface for those time that you forgot your tablet/phone but you need the info "pushed" to the device.

BABY STEPS though...STILL CAN NOT EVEN "PULL" a folder yet...

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Mark Rogotowicz 5/15/13 6:37 PM
Absolutely agree. This is absurd. I have to use a third party app, ES-File explorer, to move folders from my online Google drive to my device in order to do this
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device RobThayer 5/20/13 7:34 AM
Prior to GoDocs latest update (v4.0.1) we had the ability to sync our entire Google Drive to an iOS device.  Now I can't even sync a file (with that app).  Google PLEASE add the ability to sync an entire folder structure and it's contents to our mobile devices.  Selecting one file at a time makes no sense what so ever.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Trevor Nielsen 5/20/13 11:11 PM
Is this feature on development or not? A lot of people are asking in this post.  
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Jakub Sochacki 7/15/13 11:53 AM
Any news on this feature? Still waiting...
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Stefan23 7/20/13 12:09 PM
Any status updates on this request?? Thanks!
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Cydonian 9/11/13 5:31 AM
+1 for offline Google Drive folders.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Jean-Sebastien P 9/24/13 8:40 AM
Ya this feature is a must
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device RobThayer 9/24/13 9:09 AM
On Monday, May 20, 2013 9:34:50 AM UTC-5, ReyAhtbor wrote:
> Prior to GoDocs latest update (v4.0.1) we had the ability to sync our entire Google Drive to an iOS device.  Now I can't even sync a file (with that app).  Google PLEASE add the ability to sync an entire folder structure and it's contents to our mobile devices.  Selecting one file at a time makes no sense what so ever.

For those of you wanting to sync to an Apple iDevice, as of GoDocs 4.2 or newer we are able to sync our entire Google Drive once again.

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Lloyd Clarke 9/29/13 2:24 PM
Yes, this is a must have feature. Should be able to kick this out no problem with all the smart people at Google!!
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Saurav Mukherjee 11/3/13 12:23 AM
I need it toooo! Is it being implemented?
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device martysto 12/11/13 9:30 PM
+1
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Micah Abresch 12/19/13 5:46 PM
Why was this marked as completed?

The request was to sync folders, which is not implemented. If it's "won't fix" just say it's "won't fix", but don't lie and make me read through the entire thread to figure out that you're wasting my time by lying to m.e

Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Mark Rogotowicz 12/19/13 5:51 PM
+1
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Engin Polat 12/25/13 12:36 AM
+1
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Martin Girschick 12/29/13 8:49 AM
As already noted by several people: This thread has been marked completed, because it has been forwarded to the development team. However, they feature is still missing from the mobile applications. Can you please state, when it will be available?
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Ignium 1/6/14 1:05 PM
Sync to movile entire folders is absolutely neccesary.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Paul J. Anthony 1/21/14 4:04 AM
Yes, please DO add the ability to make an entire directory structure "available offline" with a single selection on the root folder name - not each file one at a time. Next, THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT FREEWARE - PLEASE CONTINUE WITH THE REFINEMENTS :-)
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Keirdre 1/27/14 7:51 PM
Not everyone lives in a Google Play Music country.
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Olivier Temam 2/3/14 2:49 AM
+1
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Sahil Kapadia 2/4/14 9:14 PM
Right? its so annoying but if they can do it it would make this a great software.....
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device Krishna Prasad K V 2/5/14 12:32 AM
Hi Teresa,
when is this feature going to come?
Thanks in advance.
KP
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device telecomfan 2/16/14 5:59 AM
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device telecomfan 2/16/14 6:00 AM
Re: Feature Request: Make available offline on other device telecomfan 2/16/14 6:00 AM
More topics »