Categories: Report an Issue :

Chrome (15.0.874.106) Cause Windows 7 Unicode Filename To Not Display Correctly

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Chrome (15.0.874.106) Cause Windows 7 Unicode Filename To Not Display Correctly YTKColumba 10/28/11 6:31 PM
Google Chrome version (type about:version into the address bar):Operating System:Error Message:Extensions installed:
Please describe your question/comment in detail (for example, steps to reproduce the problem):

Chrome Version: 15.0.874.106
Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

If Chrome is started as the first program after Windows 7 restarted, Windows 7 filename seem to get messed up if they contain unicode character (Chinese/Japanese/etc), they will display as squares. If I restarted Windows 7 and start another program (Foobar2000 which have unicode character in song name), then start Google Chrome, then the unicode will display properly.

There was a post similar for Chromium 5 from before, but I could not find it again.

Note: This could likely be also be Windows 7 problem, but I try this several times and I get the same result.2011-10-29

Link Update: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=42984
2011-10-29

Extensions: LastPass, Adblock Plus
It seem to have to do with the fact that I login to LastPass after starting Chrome...
2011-10-29

Extensions: It has nothing to do with the extensions it seems...

Re: Chrome (15.0.874.106) Cause Windows 7 Unicode Filename To Not Display Correctly KiCM 2/12/12 7:13 PM
I have the same problem, though nothing seems to prevent it--if I run Chrome at all, sooner or later, the bug happens. I wouldn't attribute it to Windows 7, as my other PC, which doesn't use Chrome, does not have this problem.
Re: Chrome (15.0.874.106) Cause Windows 7 Unicode Filename To Not Display Correctly Shide.Zhang 4/11/12 12:42 AM
Thanks for posting this. I had the same problem and didn't realized Chrome is a problem until now. In fact in my case, even if I launch Chrome after running some other applications, I still get the same problem.

Not sure if there is a fix available or not. But I found a workaround that seems to work, at least for me.

Install AppLocale and try to launch Chrome through AppLocale. Set Chinese/Japanese/Korean as the language of choice.  Which is the equivalent of setting system language to Chinese / Japanese for non-unicode programs when running Chrome.  

Re: Chrome (15.0.874.106) Cause Windows 7 Unicode Filename To Not Display Correctly xargonax 9/11/12 6:59 PM
I have the same problem on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
In the latter, the problem appeared right after installing Chrome on a fresh OS installation.

The workaround for both Win 7 and 8 in my case is to place a Chinese/Japanese named file on the Desktop.