Categories: Making and Receiving Calls :

Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this!

Showing 1-138 of 146 messages
Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 2/21/13 10:12 AM
As of this morning (2/21/13) GOOGLE VOICE CONTACTS HAS DISAPPEARED (again), to be replaced by the poorly structured Gmail version of contacts.  

ATTN: GOOGLE...  PLEASE change this back.  I'm not a casual user or a teenager looking for a free phone toy.  I'm a business owner that relies on your tools to do manage communications and data.  This is a real enough problem that it will force me and my company to find and move to another platform.  This means I will be forced to discontinue Google Apps as the primary place where we spend all day and store all of our stuff.  This is frustrating and sad for me, and yes, I'm irritated too, but I understand that it's your ballgame and you can choose the rules.  HOWEVER, in doing so, I hope you understand the enormity of this decision (at least as it's experienced from this end as a regular user and evangelist of your services).  A few years ago, we removed all Microsoft products and services (and my company is a Microsoft Partner) from our daily experience and have taken several dozen small businesses and hundreds of individuals with me to the all-Google cloud-based experience (and continue to do so on a daily basis).  I don't want to leave, but if we do, all the small businesses I've brought to Google Apps (dozens) will be encouraged to embrace whatever I discover as a replacement, since our company supports their I.T. and business communications activities.

What follows is a post I made a couple weeks ago to perhaps inform developers and decision-makers how it feels out here in the "we-have-no-control-over-anything" cheap seats, BEFORE this disappeared.  Readers, if you agree with me, please "like" this post and make a comment saying so - I'd be hard pressed to believe that my experience and preference is isolated and unusual.  

------------------------------previously posted----------------------------

When this last reared its ugly head, it was just switched with no warning, then (thankfully) undone.  I appreciate a little warning here, but the direction Google is going with this makes it very clear that the developers do NOT USE Google Voice on a regular basis like I do. I have 3500+ active contacts in my contacts database and spend most of the day communicating with my customers and vendors using GV from a PC.  The current Google Voice contacts structure is very intuitive, easy to use and navigate through. It's an excellent address book, providing quick access to the right information and communication with a quick search, a glance, and a quick click.

HERE'S WHAT'S RIGHT:  Usable contact management (in the Google Voice contacts structure)

* I can quickly see where a contact is located (map link) and text/call/email them with a click on the correct number chosen from an easy to view list of ALL their numbers and information in one place - without having to navigate to another page, or click back and forth.  

* I can review or add to customer/vendor notes with a click and all that information is propagated to my cell phones and my Nexus 7 without having to do anything.    

* I can easily duplicate information to a different contact that shares information because they are in the same company (or family).  

* I can narrow or group what I'm viewing based on a search using a number, word, phrase, or name, EVEN if that info is in the "notes".

* I can easily switch from History (essentially a call log) to unanswered voice-mails (and make notes showing the call was returned and by whom), to contacts and back again.  Even with some of the functionality it had before removed (you can only select one contact at a time with the check boxes now), it's still a very useful and functional interface.

What makes it work so well as a tool is the layout.  
There are 4 panes/columns (or whatever you want to call them) from left to right...

GV Controls (WHAT do I want to do/see?)
Categories (what GROUP of people do I want to see?)
Contacts (Which CONTACT do I want to see?)
Details (ALL contact DETAILS easily view-able, accessible, and functional for calling, texting, emailing, mapping, review or updating.)

PLEASE DO NOT GO THROUGH WITH THIS CHANGE.  I've really tried to work from the Gmail contacts interface (you're calling it "new contacts"). It is not usable for the way I work. It is kludgy, cumbersome, inefficient, and feels like a huge step backwards.  Why you've decided to go to the Gmail contacts structure, rather than to apply and develop GV contacts structure to gmail, is beyond my understanding.  It certainly makes no sense from a usability standpoint.  I'm guessing that this is all being driven by Google+ integration, but seriously... stop it.  

HERE'S What'S WRONG:  gmail version of contacts structure/layout makes it UNusable for legitimate contact and communications management 

Based on my description of the GV contacts layout (above), the Gmail contacts layout is missing both the first pane/column (which is currently just a Google Voice interface), and the rightmost two panes have been combined.  Why not have the rightmost 3 panes/columns appear as they do in GV as the contacts interface in Gmail instead of forcing the clunky version through the other way?  Even when I'm emailing, I still choose to do it from my GV contacts, because the email version of contacts is so bad.

* I can NOT see or scroll though contacts or see contact info with a single click.  Spacing between contacts is a problem.  Spacing within a contact is a problem.  Layout within a contact detail page is a problem - not easily reviewed, used or even edited. 

* I can NOT easily click to call, text, or email a contact.  Choosing to call, text, or email a contact from the detail page is very difficult.  You can not see for sure whether you're choosing the right phone number or email address because the call, text, and email links are too far away from the number or email address.  Seriously, don't you people USE the crap you're making?

* I can NOT browse from contact to contact without loading a new page, and then going back to the list - big time and bandwidth waste.  It's so much easier and more efficient to navigate between contacts in the current GV contact structure.

* I can NOT choose what data is displayed.  The columns shown by default are not useful and they can not be changed, so you HAVE to go IN to a contact to see what you need to see.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND:  I don't care if this is free or a pay service (I'm sure it's going that way, since Google Apps already has), but please don't screw it up and make it unusable.  What you have here is not duplicated anywhere else (I've looked). Google Voice and the current GV contacts structure is a tool that works.  Don't break what works just because you can, or in order to shove G+ down our throats.  As long as you don't break it first, I'm willing to pay for this level of functionality. 

____________end of previously posted info__________________

PLEASE bring back the Google Voice contacts structure.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 2/21/13 10:22 AM
FYI users...   For the time being, you can still get to the GVoice contact structure with the direct link:  https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/#contacts
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Jimmy Bob 2/21/13 11:02 AM
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW GOOGLE DID NOT RECEIVE THE MESSAGE FROM ITS USERS THE LAST TIME THEY MADE THIS STUPID FORCED CHANGE TO GOOGLE CONTACTS!!!!! The last time we made such a big stink about it, Google reversed their silly policy, hopefully our outcry will be heard again...

GOOGLE CONTACTS SUCKS!!! How in the world are we suppose to manage our communications (texts, voice mails, phone calls) when we DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION WITH GOOGLE CONTACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PAY FOR GOOGLE APPS, AND I TOO WILL LEAVE AND TELL ALL OF THOSE I "EVANGELIZED" TO, TO LEAVE WITH ME!!!!

I do not understand how Google thinks it can shove this WORTHLESS product down our throats! I will LEAVE Google and find another product(s).
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Matt Clayton 2/21/13 11:41 AM
Google, PLEASE give us back google voice contacts

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! veebinator 2/21/13 12:11 PM
AGREE
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 2/21/13 12:18 PM
I agree 100% I am in the same boat I AM SCREWED right now in a legal case because of the lost of my Groups. This is a nightmare, I don't keep my numbers anywhere except Google I use Google Voice exclusively.  I feel stupid for trusting Google but I have been on Google since it launched and on Google Voice since it launched. 
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 2/21/13 12:21 PM
PCdoc thank you but you wrote "for the time being" how long is that? And what do we do after it is gone for good? I have hundreds of numbers all in groups an I don't access them by name I use Notes and Groups. Please guide us now that my hands are on my Groups again what can I do to save this information? I'm desperate this will hurt my business tremendously.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! shatnes 2/21/13 1:07 PM
I agree also. Please bring back the old system. Make improvements without destroying functionality!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! goovo 2/21/13 2:20 PM
Change contacts back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! goovo 2/21/13 2:25 PM
And it was so easy to navigate between contacts - just move your cursor from contact to contact. Now you have to wait when info is loading.
I even cannot open contact info in a new tab, info opens only on the same page. How to get back to my list, back button on the browser? Very clever...

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! BenFredEd 2/21/13 2:30 PM
Google Voice Contacts
Gmail Contacts
Google Contants

Can Google give its users of GOOGLE CONTACTS the ability to select the interface of contacts within each application?

SOLUTION: A default "CLASSIC" interface of Contacts would return functionality to every user of this application.

I am feeling very frustrated as a user and so are my clients. PLEASE HELP!

When will someone from Google respond?
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! goovo 2/21/13 2:46 PM
They responded and gave direct link "for time being":

Have no idea how long "time being" will last. 
Hope, that GOOGLE understand - there are a lot of people upset wit new contacts structure, but not all of them express it.
It is not so easy to find where somebody would hear you.

I've found this group by key words : stupid new google voice contacts". And google showed in the first page.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! goovo 2/21/13 2:48 PM
Thank you so much!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! MD Harlan 2/21/13 4:34 PM
I agree.  Changing a functioning platform to something generic is a huge mistake.  Make improvements, SURE.  But to do this?  It's a dark spot on Google.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Lee Cole 2/21/13 4:50 PM
I can't get to the dial out for my Voice account on the internet.  That "temporary" URL (https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/#contacts) works!  Thanks!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! spikemike 2/21/13 5:05 PM
Thanks for this link  !!     Yah who know how long can use this.     I created a link to this.

My only next option was export ALL to Yahoo contacts  and use the extensions in chrome to call.
At least Yahoo's albeit shitty too   beats Gmails defaul contacts.
Can use Y!Contacts on android phone in accounts setup too
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! data-scientist 2/21/13 5:16 PM
I agree.  Please return the very organized & useful Google Voice Contacts format.  Do not force the horrible Google contacts format on us!
Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 2/21/13 5:28 PM
Google PLEASE return our Contacts. This is so unfair. We rely on you and where I live there are no cell phones nor will there ever be any!! I know Google likely only cares about city folk but us rural mountain folk suffer from lack of access to services. Google Voice is my only phone service!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Jimmy Bob 2/21/13 5:33 PM
Google is like the WORLD'S WORST drug dealer... The idea should be to get the public hooked on your product and feed their addiction. INSTEAD, google gets us hooked and then tries to give us something that SUCKS!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 2/21/13 5:41 PM
LOL. Google IS the world's worst drug dealer. I'm hooked, stung out, and they are taking my drug away. And it is not the first time. I need Google Rehab, though if they create it halfway through recovery they will change your room, building, food, doctor and lose all your files...
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 2/21/13 5:46 PM
They even call it "The New Contact Experience" on the home page for Google Voice, like Scientology has taken over Google HQ. I don't want a "New Contact Experience." I wan't my fing contacts organized the way they were in a usable fashion.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Jimmy Bob 2/21/13 5:49 PM
LOLLLLLLLL@ I need Google Rehab, though if THEY [GOOGLE] create it, halfway through recovery they will change your room, building, food, doctor and lose all your files...
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Jimmy Bob 2/21/13 5:52 PM
Google, if you blink we'll have to start from the beginning... Google, STOP BLINKING!!! (For those of you who watched "The Master".)
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Jimmy Bob 2/21/13 5:57 PM
I think Google's motto is "Do no harm"... Well Google, YOU HAVE HARMED MY BUSINESS WITH THIS CRAPPY PRODUCT YOU CALL GOOGLE CONTACTS!!!! I WANT GOOGLE VOICE AND ONLY GOOGLE VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! data-scientist 2/21/13 6:29 PM
"Don't be evil"
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! ynohtna1234 2/21/13 7:42 PM
Thanks for the good list of what is wrong with the new contacts interface.  Saved me the trouble of making a list.  Another reason it is harder to use is that you do not see the call or text icons until you hover over the number you want to call.  Then you have to move your mouse to the right to click the icon.  I hope this trend toward forcing the user to move the mouse around to find a hidden icon does not continue.  If I want to play a game with hidden surprises, I can find plenty.  I use GV to to get things done, so please Google, don't hide the important features and make me "discover' where they are every time I want to make a call.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 2/21/13 10:52 PM
I have to build a new group for custom ringing treatment of one number. 
I can't even see how such is possible in Google Contactless's menus.

They really ARE determined to screw us over, aren't they? [FSVO "they"]

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DshT 2/22/13 9:24 AM
I agree 100% with everything PCdoc has written.

To Google: Many of us are business users. When Google Voice becomes a paid service, we're the ones who will be willing to pay for it, just as we now pay for Google Apps. So listen to us!

I have never used Gmail contacts because it's terrible. Going from the wonderfully functional Google Voice contacts to the Gmail contacts feels like I've gone back in time to the 1990s.

As for Google+, I have no use for it. If something doesn't enhance my business or entertain me, I don't waste time with it. Google+ does neither. I also despise Facebook, and reluctantly use it only so I can see what my college kid is doing.

PCdoc, if Google insists on this nonsense, please post what you find as an alternative, because I'll be needing one too.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Jimmy Bob 2/22/13 9:29 AM
Some of all are ALREADY paying (Business Apps) for Google to screw us over. IF GOOGLE DOESN'T GIVE ME THE OPTION TO USE ONLY GOOGLE VOICE, I WILL BE FORCED TO LEAVE AND MY CLIENTS WILL LEAVE WITH ME!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Matt Clayton 2/22/13 10:12 AM
Google may not have an official phone number to give them feedback about this issue, but in searching I found these numbers listed for their other locations:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/about/company/facts/locations/

When I called I was able to get a real live person at some of them.  I vote we call them and patiently explain our problems with this forced conversion to whoever we get a hold of.  It helps to explain to them that you aren't expecting them to fix it, you just need someone to listen to you.  If all of us talk with  enough people it will have to help get them to realize this is a real problem.

what do you all think?

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Ivy Fasko 2/22/13 10:27 AM
I agree with this -  really DO NOT like the new Google contacts format.  Making a phone calll requires 2-3 more clicks than previously, which is quite annoying, as I make all of my calls thru Google Voice.  I say roll it back to the previous format.  I don't particularly care about what U are integrating - just go back to the old format!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! shatnes 2/22/13 11:18 AM
I would prefer an email address. Does anyone have an email address for Google management? If not I will try to call different offices to complain until we get a positive response from Google!!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 2/22/13 2:02 PM
If you go to the bottom of the Contacts page, there's a link to "previous versions" or such.

It's far more usable in my opinion; it at least looks like GV contacts...

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! BlueSkies7 2/22/13 2:09 PM
This is why I went from loving Google to hating Google.

Truth be told they do not care about us.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! shatnes 2/22/13 2:09 PM
I like this link much better  https://www.google.com/voice/#contacts
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! BlueSkies7 2/22/13 2:15 PM
Because they don't give a damn about us at all.

I used to love them. But now I only use them because there is no on e else.

This needs to change. As soon as something else comes along. I'll be the first to jump ship!

Go to hell Google! You failed me!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 2/22/13 2:18 PM

I like this link much better  https://www.google.com/voice/#contacts

No dispute, but I suspect/fear they will soon deprive us of that too-sensible option. 
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! goovo 2/22/13 3:06 PM
Also, this link works

it is an old view of contacts. I made a bookmark to this page.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! goovo 2/22/13 3:10 PM
I faxed to several offices our link and request.
Hope they will read it.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! sunnystyle 2/23/13 4:37 PM
Yes, please put the contacts back to the way it was,  - really! not a single person was happy with this change the last time you did this, its bad enough you're taking igoogle away, i'll use the temp link provided, https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/#contacts    and if this stays, I'll adjust accordingly, but if you take that old way of viewing contacts away completely, then yes it will be time to jump ship and move completely away from GOOGLE, I don't understand how Google already had a bunch of feedback about this and yet moved foward anyway.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 2/23/13 5:05 PM
I'm glad you mentioned iGoogle, I'm bummed about that too. It is my go to page everyday for weather, news, etc. Still, it does not hurt my business the way this new unusable interface for Google Voice will. PCdoc really captured all the problems, issues, and losses associated with the change. Haven't they ever heard "If it ain't broke don't fix it?" I've been with them since day one but I'm now hoping something new comes along. Hell, if they simply offered not to change the interface randomly I'd sign up! How low my expectations have sunk after all these years with Google... 
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! CorporateAdvisoryLLC 2/26/13 2:51 PM
Amen! Cudn't say it better myself. Thanks for doing so! Yes, Google, PLEASE dump the curtrent POS U've foisted upon us,. & restore a RELIABLE & WORKING version of Google Contacts for Google Voice. FYI: I DO NOT use Goggle's, or anyone else's so called 'social media', & have absolutely no interest in doing so. So please quit pushing that cr*p on us too. Thanks!   P. S. PC Doc, if you indentify a vialbe alternative, please post information on what you find, if things don't change (as in back to the way they were, or at least to a working status, I'm intetested too. The current version of Google contacts just blows!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! CorporateAdvisoryLLC 2/26/13 2:53 PM
Sorry about the typos. Busy having to work harder, because Google Contacts doesn't work!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 2/26/13 3:13 PM
SurryBix; Sorry, but I have no idea how long the direct link will continue to work.  I'm an end-user, just like you.  I simply found a way to get there and shared it.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 2/28/13 10:34 AM
Thanks for doing that, and for your excellent list of all the issues with the new interface!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 2/28/13 12:18 PM
+Matt Bariletti, can you please review the comments regarding this issue and give us some feedback?  Thanks in advance!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 2/28/13 5:19 PM
You said 'please "like" this post' but I don't see any way to do that.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! dsma00 3/2/13 4:17 PM
I completely agree.

GOOGLE:  Bring back Google Voice Contacts!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! mtech 3/5/13 7:35 AM
Agreed. Old interface much better.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jschuweiler 3/5/13 1:14 PM
Thanks for the link to correct (albeit temporary)!

The new version is extremely difficult to use.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! BlueSkies7 3/7/13 2:16 AM
I completely agree. Bring back Google Voice Contacts!

On top of that.

Please fire the person in charge that forced this on us in the first place.

Do it for the sake of Google before this person completely ruins Google.

This is fact.

If this person remains in charge Google will be ruined.

Seriously. Can them.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 3/7/13 2:35 PM
I now see I can not use Safari with Contacts; I thought it was working before, but now I can't do much but look at the entries.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/13/13 5:13 PM
The work-around no longer works. I was using up until around 4p EST today. As of about an hour ago, the work-around has been disabled and you can only now access the new Google Contacts.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 3/13/13 5:26 PM
Dear Google:

I used to be able to set the phone that would ring per contact.
How do I do that now?
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 3/13/13 5:29 PM
Yes, I saw the workout quit a little while ago. *sigh* My big problem is I can't find a way to make a call! I use my home landline, so Google calls me and the person I'm calling simultaneously  I cannot find a way to make a call without using Google talk. I'm been scrolling through my History where there is a tiny call link below the person I called. Tedious.

Anyone have a workaround for this? Or know how to place calls in the new interface?

The new contacts looks like a sloppy messy pile. The old interface was neat, tight and organized. I'm so disappointed.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 3/13/13 5:36 PM
I just clicked   https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/#contacts   and it still worked for me.  19:36 (GMT -6)
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 3/13/13 5:42 PM
PCdoc: Thanks I just clicked your link and it does not work for me. It is GV but everything to the right is gone... there is only Google Contacts on left, in a messy list with no way to make calls from selecting the contact.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! BlueSkies7 3/13/13 5:51 PM

Doesn't work for me.

What a bunch of @ssholes!!! I hate Google.

I'd rather pay phonebooth dot com $20 a month rather than put up with this sh!t any longer.

Grrrrrr Google Sucks!!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/13/13 5:51 PM
Also, I used to be able to click the name in my Inbox and have it take me to a page where I could change settings for that individual and then go to GVContact to make additional changes. Now I have to go to contacts and search for the person - REALLY annoying.that contact in GVContacts. Now it just takes SO much longer.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/13/13 5:58 PM
Do you or anyone else - know of any services that are comparable?

I was with GrandCehtral and LOVED the service. Used to rave about GV, but this is it for me. Its the only number I use, but I guess I'll have to give it up. THe hassle and headache aren't worth it anymore.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/13/13 6:03 PM
I agree with you. I use GV to make ALL my calls. It used to be so convenient. Just realized that I can no longer change and personalize greetings. I'm stuck and I need to change a few.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! mudwoman 3/13/13 6:25 PM
SurryBix: To use Click2Call to make a call, open a contact and then move your mouse over the phone number, and slide to the right. As you "hover" the call and text icons will appear.

Will also mention that the call and text icons may not display on Chrome unless you have the latest updated version. To update, point your Chrome browser to chrome://help/ and it should start updating automatically.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! dsma00 3/13/13 6:39 PM
I just don't get what was so hard about leaving GV Contacts alone!  It was SOOOO much better than Google Contacts!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 3/13/13 6:44 PM
Hi Mudwoman! Thanks so much! but it does not work. I am using the latest version of Chrome. When I hover the only option I get is "Call with Goolge Talk" which would mean talking through my computer instead of walking around on my hand-free headset. I'll try it on some other browsers next.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! ohnobinki 3/13/13 7:31 PM
IMO, it is easier to use the keyboard to deal with contacts than a list of contacts. Maybe not a workaround, but I don’t see why you would use something other than this method.
  1. Go to https://www.google.com/voice
  2. Click “Call”
  3. Type contact’s name. If there is more than one result, arrow key to the right one.
  4. Press TAB
  5. Arrow key to your phone (unfortunately, this is not a real dropdown and typing the name of your phone like in Windows Forms dropdowns doesn’t work) and ENTER to choose.
  6. TAB twice and press spacebar (the TABs should first highlight the “Connect” button and the spacebar “click”s it).
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 3/13/13 7:41 PM
Thanks!! I've been doing that and it helps some. But some contacts I don't know the names... business calls.  I look them up by the Group and then read the notes I put in the contact about who they are. Any advice for that? Right now I'm doing a copy and paste into the CALL box.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 3/13/13 8:16 PM
There is a clunky workaround for the custom greetings.

You can still make a custom greeting for a group.

You can make a separate group for those whom you want to hear a custom greeting.

A terrible kludge but it should work (I haven't actually tried it but I can see it)

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 3/13/13 8:36 PM

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:25:54 PM UTC-4, mudwoman wrote:

Will also mention that the call and text icons may not display on Chrome unless you have the latest updated version.

OR on multiple other browsers..... Plus, Google will NOT upgrade Chrome on 10.5 so YBF'ed there as well.

"We don't have to care, we're Google" seems destined to replace Ernestine....

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! HBsOnly 3/14/13 6:22 AM
I have never and I mean never written on a Google  Forum and all I have to say is just please restore the old Google Voice contacts page, so I can easily edit settings and send people straight to voice mail and off again. Google Voice was already a good product, please don't destroy it. I've been a long time Google Voice user so I want to give Google an opportunity to remedy this. At first I was just using the old bookmarked link like everyone else, but now that even that is gone I had no choice, but to request its restoration on this forum. I'm sure many many more people feel the same way, but not all users are savvy enough to realize that there are forums for them to make a complaint. I sincerely hope the next time I leave a message on Google Forum's its to praise one of your products and not to make a complaint because I've never had to. 
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/14/13 7:05 AM
Here is the number for GoogleVoice - you can only leave a message - but perhaps this will help. My suggestion to them - if they are hellbent on making this change - is to leave the work-around in place. You could click on the contact name from the inbox or any other folder and go to the OLD GV Contacts. If you just clicked on Contacts you go to the new GV Contacts. 
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/14/13 7:13 AM
+16502651193
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! koalabear 3/14/13 7:20 AM
PLEASE RESTORE OLD CONTACT LINK...I CAN'T EDIT AND VIEW ALL NOTES WHEN CALLING MY CLIENTS...PLEASE HAVE A HEART AND GIVE US BACK THE OLD WAY.... https://www.google.com/voice/#contacts

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! shatnes 3/14/13 7:32 AM
PLEASE FIX IT BACK TO OLD CONTACT LIST BY GROUPS ETC. 

THE NEW SYSTEM IS HORRIBLE. 

IF ANYONE HAS MORE PHONE NUMBERS OR EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR GOOGLE VOICE, PLEASE POST THEM.

I DON'T THINK ANYONE FROM GOOGLE READS THIS FORUM.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 3/14/13 7:34 AM
This morning it is even worse; clicking on a name in History gets you..... no change.

Is it possible to download the contacts file, edit it and reupload it again? I see no other way to edit it!

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! shatnes 3/14/13 7:37 AM
CALL THIS NUMBER AND A PERSON ANSWERS +1 212-565-0000

IF ENOUGH PEOPLE CALL AND COMPLAIN MAYBE THEY WILL RESPOND.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 3/14/13 8:12 AM
On the GV page, left,lower, there is a link for "Send feedback". Maybe they don't read those either but at least I tried:

What do you like best about Google Voice?

Everything that it used to be before you dumbed it down

What do you like least about Google Voice?

By removing Contacts you removed quite a lot of functionality that was very useful to have.

Which new features would you like added?

Restoring GV Contacts and thus the original features, or at least adding the lost functionality back into the new interface.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 3/14/13 8:20 AM
Honestly I doubt very much that they will back down and restore the old interface even with all the petitions.  I think adding the lost features into the new interface is the most we can hope for.

I understand that they did this to simplify things and not have two separate Contacts interfaces. It's not clear whether or not their intention was to actually remove the features. I have not heard anyone report that the individual greetings that they set up before the change have stopped working. Maybe this was just a blunder. Maybe they are working on adding this control to the new interface and we just won't find out about it until it appears.  Well, I can always hope....
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! veebinator 3/14/13 9:44 AM
This is a hug bummer if true.  The flat interface of the new contacts access is pretty worthless compared the Voice Contacts structure.

Hope they learn or go back to the old interface soon..
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! vip00000 3/14/13 10:55 AM
There aren't many Google apps which I can say SUCK.  The new Google Contacts sucks a big wambizee - it's as close to being useless app as they can get. So, what is their rationale for making Google Contacts useless app from what it used to be - one of the best apps? Too many techys at Google are either blind or deaf.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! gcdenver 3/14/13 12:28 PM
this is not working for me. how do I access / edit custom greetings for google voice contacts? when I type the contact name into the search bar and click EDIT CONTACT in the popup, N O T H I N G  H A P P E N S

"Do no evil, also do nothing correctly either"
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/14/13 12:53 PM
212.565.0000 - called and a human answers. She would not take my comment and pass it on, she would not connect me, unless I had someone's name. 

This link has a list of Google's senior management team: http://www.google.com/about/company/facts/management/#section-leadership

I suggest we start calling. This guy seems to be the best bet: Urs Hoelzle - Senior Vice President, Technical Infrastructure, and Google Fellow.

So, who's with me?? Let's start calling!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! data-scientist 3/14/13 1:27 PM
This is a major interruption and inconvenience.  Google PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE  undo it!

Don't be EVIL.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! data-scientist 3/14/13 1:29 PM
Everyone - use the feedback button in Google voice, use the telephone, social media esp. Google+ to go viral with this protest.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! skibumbiz 3/14/13 2:22 PM
I agree!!!  Very frustrating as a business owner that was relying on the contact feature within Google Voice.

Please bring it back!!!!!

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Maria Victoria Martinez 3/14/13 2:52 PM
I am also in agreement !!! Very frustrating - we use this feature constantly - we are a Business Account using Google Apps - this feature is critical

PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

PLEASE SOMEONE FROM GOOGLE MANAGEMENT RESPOND!! 
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! spikemike 3/14/13 4:28 PM

Google has turned out to be one big PLOY of a company.   From it's early days I thought this was a company about Trust with its users.

Now it feels  secretive, devious  always trying to go around the rules and govt because they can.

User doesn't matter   ..its just the grand vision where they wanna go.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/14/13 9:46 PM
Looks like Google is monitoring the Facebook Google Voice page. Can we start posting messages there AND here? I think it will help.

Also, trying to get an idea of what dif folks are doing to try to get this resolved. Would you mind posting actions that you take here?

I called the 212 number and left a message for Urs. I've been postign here and will post on FB. Plan to make more phone calls tomorrow.

Let's see if we can keep the pressure up.

I also think we should reach out to the NYTimes' David Pogue. he RAVED about GrandCentral years ago and I wonder if he'd be interested in doing an article about how Google has slowly destroyed that fantastic product with its 'improvements.'

Anyone else up for reaching out to him?
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/14/13 9:48 PM
Sorry - my bad- On second look - Google is NOT responding or paying attention to that page. We're back to working the phones .
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! TheSukiDog 3/15/13 6:49 AM
What are you using to view this link? when I try to access the contact structure with that link, it's blank. I've tried Chrome, IE and the link doesn't work.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! D34 3/15/13 9:18 AM
This is crazy. We have multiple, I repeat multiple PAID google apps domains with multiple users within each domain and we HAVE to have the edit google voice contact settings. We just paid last week to port a phone over to google fore this very reason. This is unacceptable. We have businesses to run. Google, bring back that interface today. PLEASE!! This is a major major issue for our firms.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! shatnes 3/15/13 10:39 AM
I think Vincent Paquet is someone important at Google Voice. I think he has a facebook page and he posts on the forum sometimes. If anyone knows his email address and/or phone number, please post it.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! mysunnystyle 3/15/13 4:56 PM
well this is really going to annoy you, they have an "older version" link at very bottom of the contacts page,
here's the link - https://www.google.com/contacts_v1   -- and it syncs because I updated a contact and it updated this "older version"
and it looks very similar to the google voice we know and love, but with none of the newer functionality: no texting etc.

so obviously it's POSSIBLE to have the older version remain on the system, they just skipped over leaving the last "older" version -
I only use google voice to text my tenants from the computer, I don't even use my mobile phone to call them, most are students and they don't even answer the phone, or have voice mail setup   --please please make this "older version" be the last version you just took away.  why why why can't this be done,
I  called the google contact voice mail phone number, and left a message  --- do no evil indeed.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 3/15/13 7:15 PM
It's the older version of Contacts (before it merged into GMail), but it's not the older version of Google Voice Contacts.
It doesn't have the link below the phone numbers "Edit Google Voice setting" so you can't do i.e. record personal voicemail greeting.

But I do get your point that it's possible to keep old versions around.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! IM_BEGGING_PLS_CHANGE_IT_BACK_PRETTY_PRETTY_PLEASE 3/16/13 8:08 AM
Meaning specifically - the more functional voice contacts page...AT LEAST let the old links remain active? This is a very GOOD compromise. https://www.google.com/voice#contacts for those that prefer the legacy interface and let the Google users decide which format they want? Don't be evil google, remember? Its a downright injustice to reduce functionality and force users to mouse over tiny icons for dial and text services. Also, I import a lot of numbers from cardmunch via gmail and the new format shows me every import update on the left pane and this is TOTALLY un-useful and UNWANTED noise on the screen. I'm a rational person and would invite anyone from google whom would want to talk to a DAILY user of the product to call and discuss? 

If you are not going to change google voice contacts back - AT LEAST let the old links remain active? 

PRETTY PLEASE??? 
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! IM_BEGGING_PLS_CHANGE_IT_BACK_PRETTY_PRETTY_PLEASE 3/16/13 8:08 AM
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Svetlana Larimore 3/16/13 10:16 AM
This is a dumb question but .... how the hell do you send a text to someone with that new google contacts? Before on google voice i just clicked their and then send SMS, I don't see that option anywhere now. On the google voice page under google contacts it states to hover over their phone number and you'll get options, but mine doesn't do anything at all.

Thanks for any help.
-Svet
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 3/16/13 10:31 AM
not dumb you have to use the red TEXT box no way to text from contact anymore because the new interface is garbage!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! SurryBix 3/16/13 10:32 AM
you can't call from your home anymore either from the contact, nor see your notes....
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! earl.tash 3/16/13 10:52 AM
Google has really been a fuckup latey....
I'm bout ready to say fuck them n go back to using yahoo myself
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! undressingHER 3/17/13 9:47 AM
I couldn't agree more!!!!

We've been through this crap before. This old way was 10000x easier. How in the world do they think that the desktop experience is better with this? A new tab opens, you click the name, new page opens, then you have to hover over the name? 

You developers can't be serious. At least make it optional.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! ChopperGV 3/18/13 6:59 AM
I consider myself somewhat of a GV expert and have been using it from almost Day One.

With the new "Google Contacts," one no longer has any capability to record a personal voice mail message nor do they have any ability to customize individual GV settings for a specific contact.

At this point in time, you CANNOT even "search" in the search bar and "scroll over" the contact name and click "edit settings" either.  GV just stalls at that point.

Further, the link to the old version now simply brings up a blank page.

For a company that endlessly "betas" products, it truly boggles the mind how this was not set to go when it was rolled out.

Google, if you are listening, BRING BACK "GOOGLE VOICE CONTACTS" as it was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! chriswhalencpa 3/18/13 2:39 PM
PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD GOOGLE VOICE CONTACT FUNCTIONALITY. Many of my clients and myself are completely worthless without it. When is the date to bring the functionality back?
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Jimmy Bob 3/18/13 2:59 PM
"When is the date to bring the functionality back?"

I was told Google has set the date for 2 days after Hell freezes over and not a day before... But since it's Google, it could be longer!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Yosef Yakov-Lev 3/18/13 8:34 PM
Not only i is inconvenient NOW,
it almost newer works!

Pretty often your new Google Contacts doesn't show the icon which provides the ability to originate regular phone call from a browser.
Not even from Google Chrome browser!

Everything was so nice and reliable with the old Google Voice front-end,
and it almost never work in new Google Contacts.

Could you please return the reliable old front-end ASAP.
Thanks
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Janet Baker 3/19/13 10:03 AM
It's gone! The link isn't working! It flips back to the new normal contacts page.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! D34 3/19/13 1:17 PM
I've been using google voice for quite some time now. I have found a way to edit your google voice contact settings per each contact. Apparently google voice is pushing everyone to use google groups. I was using them a little before they pulled the plug last week on how to customize voice mail messages per each individual contact. So I pulled a long last weekend and I took my over 1,300 contacts and grouped them into different google groups. Unknown to me, I could of saved a lot of time because you can move all contacts into a particular google group name simply by checking all applicable names on that one page into the google group name you want. Just make sure to uncheck the "my contacts" when moving them into a google group name.  I'm not sure if this will work on multiple contact pages or not at one time. If it does, it won't take long to do. So if you want to have a particular contact to have a customize voice mail, just create a google group for that one contact and customize your greeting like in the past. It seems to work fine this way.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! D34 3/19/13 1:22 PM
You can still text a contact. Simply type in the contact name under google contacts. Go to their phone number (Where the American Flag is if you are in the U.S.) and hover over the American Flag and it will "to your right" give you the option to either text or call that particular contact.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! D34 3/19/13 1:22 PM
Yes you can. Please see my earlier response today. It's working fine for me.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! D34 3/19/13 1:28 PM
Simply create a google group for that particular contact, then create your greeting and what phones you want it to ring.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Hillsborough 3/20/13 2:16 PM
The ability to edit individual settings are now available by clicking the contact name from the call logs or inbox.  Google Voice rocks!

Note: I'm going to mark this as best answer so it stands out in this very long thread.  Original poster may also select a different best answer if they desire.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/20/13 2:39 PM
THANK YOU GOOGLE!!!!! WE LOVE YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Hillsborough - you rock, thanks for posting!!!!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Hillsborough 3/20/13 2:46 PM

Thanks DivaGal and thank you Google Voice!  I am going to share one more tip since you were so kind.  Although it's not ideal, I do have a work around for you to try for when you need to edit the GV settings on a contact record that does not appear in your logs/inbox.   

Since Google Voice is not currently able to change the new Google Contacts interface it is the best we can do for now...

1. Go to Google Contacts and select the record you want to edit.  Copy the record number in the url (see red box on image below).
2. Go to the url https://www.google.com/voice#viewcontact/ and add that number to the end so it would become https://www.google.com/voice#viewcontact/6fc917fc8e13d8b5 from my example.  Now you can edit the Google Voice settings.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 3/20/13 9:12 PM
Seriously?  No it does NOT rock.  They are cobbling back meager pieces of functionality in slow motion without even responding or giving users any kind of reasoning or explanation.and you're acting like all is well and ready to start clapping them on the back?  They took functionality offline without replacing it or testing it, leaving broken and empty links everywhere, breaking every rule of development.  They treat the users of their products with disdain.  They hide behind the "it's free, so there's no accountability" wall and don't offer so much as an explanation.  All is NOT well, this tiny bit of half-assed functionality is NOT adequate, and Google Voice does NOT rock.  Every day of my work life has become a living hell of lost functionality and I have yet to find a replacement.  Google Voice USED TO rock.  It does NOT rock now.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Hillsborough 3/20/13 9:44 PM
Seriously!  The new 'Google Contacts' team did give us a lemon with the interface by not including the GV specific features.  The Google Voice team just gave us some sugar to help until things are sorted out.  It's your choice if you want to make lemonade or be bitter about what you don't have.   I choose to celebrate and make the best of the situation.  I'm sorry you are miserable about the changes but understand it's your choice to be how you want.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DivaGal 3/21/13 6:21 AM
Hillsborough, I'm with you .... Google has me well trained. Not sure if you saw my posts about Google Babble, but it looks like Google is trying to merge all their talk/chat platforms. While I hope (GOOGLE ARE YOU LISTENING), they plan better and keep the wonderful things about GV, I gotta admit, GV with chat/messaging added could be pretty effing cool.

That said, the small bit of sugar, they've given to assuage their mistake will do for now, I'm REALLY hoping they are working on a bigger fix.

Finally, while I ~get~ the whole Google mystique, we don't talk to you thing, I wish they'd COMMUNICATE before they make these changes and at least do a limited response after.

It's the feeling of raging into a void that made us all so nuts.

Again, Hillsborough, thank you for bird-dogging this and sharing what you found out across multiple threads..

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! chasoscar 3/21/13 6:22 PM
I will continue to be "bitter" as long as Google insist on making changes that take away useful features without giving its users any way to communicate with them. The only option that we have is to vent our frustrations here and we dont even know if they read, much less consider our comments. Its like being put on 'hold' and being told "due to high call volume or how much your call means to them"...... yeah, right...... we arent idiots and we know that you dont really care what we think !!!!  If you did care you would allow us some platform to contact you, but we know then you would have to hire a 'google' operators just to handle all the complaints.  Its easier for Google just to make whatever changes THEY want without considering the effects it has and then Hide so they can think they have improved it.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! BlueSkies7 3/22/13 6:47 AM
Google's day in the sun is over.

Ever since Larry Page took over. He's on a mission to f_ck everything up and destroy Google.

Google is no longer fun or cool. It is now the "Walmart of the Internet".

Larry Page doesn't give a damn about the users he is only out to make a profit by whatever means he can.

One Walmart is enough. I wish Google would die!
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! ChopperGV 3/22/13 7:38 AM
@BlueSkies7 @chasoscar -- While I certainly understand your frustrations (I have 'em too - I much preferred the old GV Contacts), the most recent update for having individual contact access has made things much better and I now have all of the old functionality available, though in a bit more clumsy manner.

What are you unable to do that you used to?
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 3/23/13 8:35 AM

The ability to edit individual settings are now available by clicking the contact name from the call logs or inbox.  

I can't see this at all. 

I click on a History entry [1]  - in this case an ISP I do business with {& btw, recommend...}

I click on View Full Contact and get to the same place I don't want to be. [2]

Once at an individual entry..... I can at least read the phone number ....to go back to GV and then go type it in.....[3]

{This with Safari Version 5.1.7 (6534.57.2)}
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! TheSukiDog 3/23/13 8:43 AM
It looks like you are in "google contacts" rather than google.com/voice?? Is that right? Go to google.com/voice, select in box, then find a contact name and click on the name. YOu should be able to edit individuals now. Not through the "Contacts" link though.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 3/23/13 9:08 AM
I start at the History menu, in GV. That is in GV.
I get diverted to Contacts even if I don't want to be.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! undressingHER 3/23/13 4:49 PM
step in the right direction, but not back to where it was....not even close.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! DisgruntledGoogleUserNow 4/4/13 11:24 AM
I completely agree with everything that PCdoc said in that the Google Contacts is far inferior to the GV Contacts interface.  I now have to click in-and-out of pages to get to the same information with one-click in the GV Contact interface.  I am currently searching for a better solution so I can switch over.  Sad to say that I felt like a walking advertisement for Google but now, not so sure.  

I did an informal survey and came to the conclusion that 'business minded' people prefer the GV Contacts interface and 'teens and social users' seem to prefer the Google Contacts interface.  Unfortunately I think Google is being run by the latter.

FYI - I'm sure it's already bee noticed but https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/#contacts quit working a few days after the change; that's a slap in our face.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! BlueSkies7 4/10/13 11:54 AM

I gave up on google and said to myself. F_ck it!!!

Then I deleted all my contacts from google and have hardly been using it anymore.

google is a sh!t company now...
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Turing Machine 4/10/13 1:53 PM

They even call it "The New Contact Experience" on the home page for Google Voice, like Scientology has taken over Google HQ.

I missed this one, but it's dead-bang on target.
If we say "Xenu"  three times, will the usable Contacts reappear???
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Reriro 4/10/13 2:47 PM
I agree a million times over.  A moment before reading this comment I had sent a note to Google.  It is almost shocking to come here & find that someone has posted a comment that mirrors almost every thought on the subject which I had offered.
I am getting so annoyed at this constant tinkering & the lack of information provided in regard to these changes.  If the changes had been useful,  that information would probably not be necessary,  but the changes take away the ease & simplicity that Google Voice previously offered.
I never had a problem understanding my settings before.  I did not have a problem controlling contacts,  although I would have liked more control to contacts (including spam) to be available through my Google apps.
Recently I have found that I may have to load & reload my contacts page several times to simply see my contact information. I also do not like having,  without choice,  my contact information being merged from my Google mail & Google voice account. This change was made without my consent or without asking my opinion regarding the change.  Suddenly,  there it was. It is a big change to make without asking for my feedback.
This frustration of course mirrors how much I do like the original concept of Google Voice.  It has offered long wished for options in phone services which generic phone carriers preferred not to provide.  It is sad that average phone carriers do not seem interested enough to offer common-sense solutions that consumers want after all of these years of providing basic phone service.  It would be disappointing to see Google heading in a similar direction of doing what they want on their own terms as it brings to mind the attitudes shown by their out-of-touch predecessors.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 4/10/13 4:20 PM
Isn't it funny that the Google Voice help still describes what is now impossible...

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115069?hl=en&ctx=tip

(click For individuals)

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Panfilo Pascual 4/12/13 5:56 AM
JUST LOOK A THE BOTTOM OF THE CONTACTS AND PUSH THE OLD VERSION BUTTON   
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! Janet Baker 4/12/13 6:05 AM
You don't get the full Old Version, Panfilo. You get the old version of contacts, but not the left hand 'call any number' box feature. You just get the contacts. That was the part I liked, being able to go from one to the other--besides the view given of contacts in the old version.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 4/12/13 7:27 AM
  1. It doesn't have the Edit Voice Settings for custom greetings etc, which is what they took away.
  2. It's probably just transitional and will go away eventually once we have been weaned.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 4/12/13 8:46 AM
4/12/13: It's apparent by now that Google doesn't care about our concerns.  Not a single official response at all.  Much like the arrogant tools in our Federal Government, they think they know what's best for us and that we're just too stupid to understand.  They change something or create something that has no value to anyone but themselves, tell us how wonderful it is, and force it upon us.  I'm pretty sure that this change is all about connecting it to Google+.  Google has apparently decided to make Google+ the center of the universe and connect everything they do to that.  They've ruined Google Local, Google Maps, Google Voice and who knows what else in order to do just that.  

PLEASE READ THIS:  Everyone that has the ability, please seek alternative phone/contact/communications management options and report your findings/experiences back here.  I will attempt to do the same.  I NEED the functionality that GV used to provide (and does NOT now).  I don't care who provides it as long as it works and the cost is not prohibitive.

Those of you pointing out the link to the "old version" at the bottom please stop.  It is simply the old layout (which is easier to review contact info), but it has no functionality - it's the VERY old version and even that has had all functionality removed.

Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! PCdoc 4/12/13 8:58 AM
ATTN: Hillsborough...  You have marked this thread as "Completed".  It is NOT.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one that thinks that marking your own crap as "best answer" and the thread as "completed" is not only wrong and uncalled for, but just plain arrogant.  Please Change this.

Your responses have not been helpful, just sycophantic towards Google.  I don't know you and I don't know if you work for Google or not but you act like a paid shill.  If you don't have the ability to get any real answers or real action, knock off the cheerleader crap, butt out, and stop trying to control this thread.  Please remove the "completed" status.
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! shatnes 4/12/13 10:25 AM
You are absolutely right!!!  Google is not responsive to their customers in this case which is surprising and disturbing. 
(unknown) 4/12/13 10:29 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Google Voice Contacts (as we know it) GONE. Please UNDO this! jtgd 4/12/13 11:26 AM
GV is more than just a contact manager.
If it was only that, maybe I could seek an alternative.
But since it is also my telephone, and provides many other value-added features on top of it, there really isn't an alternative.
Does anyone know of something that does all that GV does?

More topics »