Categories: Other discussions : Nexus 5 :

After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues

Showing 1-179 of 179 messages
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/25/14 8:46 AM
Hi,

After a recent update to 4.4.4, the camera does not work on my phone (Nexus 5) anymore.
Battery life is also been very bad. When I had 4.4.3, it used to last a day without heavy usage.
Now running on 4.4.4, only 6 hours max. 

The patch looks more like it is introducing bugs in then solving issues. :-(

Anyone else is also experiencing the same?

Eric
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 6/25/14 9:36 AM
Hi Eric,

We have had people experiencing the same issues with some being fixed and some not.  It's quite mixed.  We have to base ourselves on what people tell us and it's hard for us to help if we are not there in front of the phone.

So, with that said, first thing to try is boot in SAFE MODE and see if you can use the Google Camera App(the new one).

Let us know how that goes.
Marc
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/25/14 1:27 PM
Hi Marc,

In safe mode, the camera is absolutely fine.
Strange enough, after restarting it to normal mode; the camera starts working again. :-(
Next time I will do the same troubleshooting step like on a PC "Have you tried restarting it?" ;-P

However, I did notice today that the phone was very hot and battery is drained very quickly.
Is that something other users are experiencing too?

Thanks,
Eric
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues H Yangoz 6/26/14 12:36 AM
I'm having the same issue with the battery draining with minimal use 8hrs to 4% I was able to get 19hrs pre 4.4.4
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 6/26/14 8:35 AM
Eric,

Yes some people have reported heating up but most the time this is caused by a 3rd party app.

So leave it in Safe Mode for a while to see if the battery drains.  In Safe Mode, it only runs the stock apps and disables all downloaded apps.

If your phone is fine in safe mode after a few hours, then start uninstalling apps one by one and see if things get better.

Keep us updated!

Marc
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/27/14 1:47 AM
Hi Marc,

I will try that a bit later.
The question I have is how come when I was using 4.4.3, everything was perfectly fine. 
But after upgrading it to 4.4.4, it all went side ways.

If as you said this is caused by the third party app, wouldn't it not starting occurring in the past regardless of what Android version I'm using?

Regards,
Eric
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 6/27/14 3:14 AM
Eric,

You are not alone. I am sailing the same boot here with my nexus 4 going absolutely crazy since 4.4.3 & later 4.4.4 OTA Update. Its evident that Google OS Developers are now more keen to introduce bugs instead of fixes for their poor customer base.

I can believe that Google OS can't coffee well enough with their Own powered devices which is a complete Shame.

Team Google you gotta be reading these post more often to understand the underlying frustration from your customer base and work out and Immediate fix to your customer's existing issues instead of releasing further bugs to your device OS.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 6/27/14 3:18 AM
Poor me says yes to your question. My Nexus 4 heats up so hot that you wouldn't like holding it with bare hands. It literally burns out Red when on charging and also if you would agree while you use data service on your device.

In either scenario's the phone heats up like hell. I am thinking to roll back to 4.4.2 post rooting my device to ensure that I am able to use my phone as a phone device instead of turning it into an electric Iron device. :(
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/27/14 3:27 AM
I have to say that I was having the same issue (phone heating up) yesterday.
I was in the forest and 3G signal was very bad. Instead of having a cooling off period where if it can't get a signal, try later... it kept trying.
Because of that, I can feel the heat from the phone in my pocket.
You can imagine how dangerous can that be.

Sad to say this but in the aspect managing the 3G signal, Apple does a better job where it tries to connect to the best 3G signal.
If it can't, it will just give up and try again.
I am using both Nexus 5 and iPhone 4GS at the moment; hence the comparison.

I also agree with you Yatin that it would be good someone from the Android developer team will keep track the feedbacks raised by their customers.
At the moment Android is leading as the top OS provider and I do not wish that one day iOS will overtake that.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Adam Staton 6/27/14 3:44 AM
Battery life has roughly halved since upgrading to 4.4.4. Been running it for 3 days now and am getting roughly 6-7 hours medium use before I'm nearly fully discharged, whereas it was closer to 12 on 4.4.3.

Has anyone identified any particularly problematic apps yet?

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 6/27/14 4:06 AM
Adam this is just not fair to blame any app as such. Though have been quite active on forum to see and suggest the issues we currently have and any possible fixes to minimize the damage we currently have like a beast battery drain issue.

I did a complete factory reset on my Nexus device and thought it to work incase of any faulty app killing my device battery. Surprisingly ever since i did a factory reset the phone has turned into an electric Iron for me where in it heats up and gets ready to get blasted at any point until I turn it off for 10-15 mins.

This is no App causing battery drain however in my view and yes I might be wrong so pls bare with me, the issue seems to be with the phone's binaries for its Radio and wireless usage.

Fingers crossed. i am in hopes to watch out another month on Android before I finally give up and move over to either Windows or iOs platform for peace of my mind.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Polaris Flyer 6/27/14 4:57 AM
I received the 4.4.4 update on my Nexus 5 yesterday and coincidentally noticed that my speaker volume is now significantly lower, affecting all ringtone / system tones and more....   I am also experiencing very rapid battery drain, though my camera seems to be working just fine.  What the heck!?!?   I cannot imagine that folks from Google didn't do some quality checking prior to release, and I am hopeful that all NX5 devices have the same circuitry, so why didn't you catch this issue???
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/27/14 6:05 AM
My camera wasn't a problem anymore after I restarted back to Normal mode after being in Safe Mode for a while.
But the battery is definitely an issue.

I still vaguely remember, that once we upgraded from gingerbread to ICS, battery became and issue.
And gradually, it was fixed by a later Android version.

but now it seems that we are back to square one. :-(

hopefully somebody from the developer team is reading this?

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Madhu123 6/27/14 1:11 PM
I have the exact same issue regarding battery drain and I'm travelling.. It's very frustrating. Google consistently releases the worst patches that are completely untested even with their own flagship devices..... pathetic!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Polaris Flyer 6/27/14 1:15 PM
Well, I figured that at some point, someone would suggest doing this so I just went ahead and did it.  I just wiped my phone and I'm in the process of reinstalling apps and syncing accounts....  The good news is that I will have a nice, clean Android (Linux) directory... The bad news is that it did nothing for my low volume.  Android 4.4.4. what the heck!?!?!?!

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Abhiram Sc 6/27/14 2:52 PM
Hi,

I have the same sort of issue with the battery !! It drains like waterfalls. Pre 4.4.4 update I used to get about 15 hrs with nominal usage, but after the update to 4.4.4 ..BOOM ! its halved ! maximum of 8hrs per day ! I gotta charge it thrice a day ? 
I have tried the factory reset, disable most of my apps cleared cache etc etc.
When I click on the battery settings I can see Android OS uses up like 80% !! (see the attachment for proof) 
I believe its google's update that is causing the battery drains..
Also in running apps, there's always " com.qualcomm.qcrilmsgtunnel "

If anyone does get a fix, please let me know !

Thanks,
Abhiram
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 6/27/14 8:28 PM
Yes I have been running for over 2d on 4.4.4.  I was seeing similar performance on 4.4.3.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 6/28/14 4:00 AM
Abhiram,

Have you tried what I suggested above, boot in Safe Mode and see how the battery drains in there?

You say you get 8 hrs a day on a charge.  You just ran 7.5 hours and have 60% battery left in your screenshot!  ;)  Double that, it makes 15 hours and you still have 20% left.  Nothing record breaking I have to admit.

Marc
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Abhiram Sc 6/28/14 11:00 AM
Hey Marc,

As I said, the screenshot is when I have absolutely not used my phone !! 100% to 60% overnight..when screen is off..No calls, no texts haven't switched on the screen!! Its basically Idle :D 
What I want to show in that screenshot is how much battery is being eaten up by Android OS 80% is totally abnormal

And I have put it on safe mode..monitoring performance now. Will let you know if anything changes

Thanks

Abhiram
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues digging90650 6/28/14 1:14 PM
Heating up and battery draining extremely quickly after the 4.4.4 update on 3 month old Nexus 5 with all apps closed. Haven't tried booting to safe mode. Not sure that's a fix or just a temporary patch. Hope there's a real fix coming soon!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Rashid Yusuf 6/29/14 5:07 AM
Hi Marc,

I too have the same problem with the camera after the new update of 4.4.4 has been rolled out on my phone recently. I am extremely disappointed. :(

Can you please tell me how to star tin SAFE MODE? The link above just shows how to Power off the phone, but it doesn't mention how to start in Safe mode.

Appreciate your response and support. 

Best Regards
Rashid
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/29/14 5:37 AM
Hi Rashid,

When you see the Power Off option, press on it and hold for 2-3 seconds.
It will then restart as "Safe mode".

Eric

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/29/14 5:39 AM
It's quite obvious here with the number of people contributing to this post that version 4.4.4 is having issues.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Rashid Yusuf 6/29/14 6:24 AM
Thanks Eric,

I will check and update on the feedback. But from the posts seen above, i am extremely disappointed with the android 4.4.4 update and indeed GOOGLE itself. They should clearly consider the pain of their customers.

Dear Google,

The number of people reporting here might be less for Google compared to those who are using Nexus 5 and having this phone, but it is not necessary that everyone can find this platform to report. Look at me for example, i am facing this issue since last 3 days and i just got this forum to post and found out i am not alone.

Google has to consider their android development and TESTING. Before releasing any update or patch, please do User Acceptance Testing and ensure all the flaws are cleared before  you roll out. I could say this because i am IT professional working in the software field who do all these. :(

Regards
Rashid
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/29/14 6:48 AM
No worries.

Did you email Google with that email you posted?
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Adam Staton 6/29/14 6:49 AM
What's the best way to feedback this stuff to Google? Do they monitor these forums?
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/29/14 6:59 AM
Not sure but I wonder whether how quick we will get a response if we post it in https://twitter.com/google ?

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 6/29/14 7:36 AM
One of the things I have seen recommended after an os  upgrade, particularly if one is experiencing app issues, is to wipe the cache partition.

If that doesn't solve an app issue, then go to the specific app in settings, clear its cache, force it to stop, then go try using the app again.

Using these techniques have cleared all issues I have found (and I haven't found many).  I have been running 4.4.3 and then 4.4.4 on both a nexus 5 and a nexus 7 (2013) and am very happy with their operation.

If you are not sure how to wipe the cache partition, Google "how to wipe cache partition on android" and you will find lots of tutorials on the procedure - it is not hard.  There are also explanations on why this is beneficial after an os upgrade.  The important thing to keep in mind is that wiping the cache partition won't hurt anything, but can potentially help a lot.

One other thing to note is that many comments there indicate it should take 15 to 20 seconds to wipe the cache partition.  I found it took a long time - in the order of 10 to 20 minutes. So be patient.  Eventually you will get a prompt to reboot the system.

One final thing.  If you are using ART instead of Dalvik runtime, then  all apps will be reformatted again after wiping the cache when the system reboots.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/29/14 8:02 AM
I've wiped the cache partition on my Nexus 5.
For those who has Nexus 5, this site might be useful

I will keep an eye on it to see whether it helps.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Madalin Filip 6/30/14 12:40 AM
I can confirm, exactly after the update to 4.4.4, the battery life on my nexus 5 dropped from 12+ hours to ~6-8 hours.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Afkar Maliki 6/30/14 1:01 AM
My Nexus 5 takes so long to get fully charged, e.g more than 4hours not even 80% charged! I think this happened after updated to 4.4.4 Any pro advice will be much appreciated here
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Rashid Yusuf 6/30/14 4:08 AM
No Eric, 

I didn't get a platform to do so. Do you know that they respond in twitter? I felt if i post here and if they could see our concerns, it must be helpful.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Rashid Yusuf 6/30/14 4:09 AM
Did the wiping cache help you out?

I will give a try too and monitor.

Thanks & Best Regards
Rashid
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Adam Staton 6/30/14 4:25 AM

I'm still experiencing quicker draining than before the update but installing the Battery Guru app has definitely improved things somewhat.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Nexus 5 4.4.4 issues 6/30/14 6:24 AM
After the 4.4.4 update I am running into Exchange issues. Sent emails are stuck in the outbox  and I keep getting a message unfortunately, Exchange Services has stopped
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 6/30/14 6:59 AM
Try the following:

Settings -> Apps -> swipe from Downloaded to All
 -> Scroll down to Exchange Services -> select it, then tap Clear Cache, then tap force Stop.

Now go back to the app and try again.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/30/14 7:27 AM
So far since I plugged it out this morning at 5.30am... now it's 3.30pm, it's 44% percent.
It's better not but brilliant.

Anyone else tried clearing the cache partition?

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 6/30/14 9:56 AM
Eric: Now that your battery life has improved from wiping cache, you might want to take the next step of installing "Droid Scheduler".

You can use it to shut down various radios in your Nexus at times when you don't need them, and then start them up again automatically when you need then.  The user interface on this app is a not klunky but it does the job.

And if your Nexus is rooted, " CPU Tuner" will really help you get extended battery life.

I use both these on my Nexus 5. At this moment it is 2 days 4 hours since I last charged my N5 and it still has 26% battery life left.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Kshitij Ghosh 6/30/14 4:21 PM
I tried wiping cache partition it seems working for me. phone speed has also increased a bit. I have done browsing for 1.25 hrs after full recharge and my battery is at 80% . Before Wiping the cache partition it used to be less than 60% with 4.4.4
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Tim Malone 6/30/14 4:32 PM
Add another one to the list of rapid battery drain. My phone was working great with 4.4.3. Now, battery life is at least cut in half. Please help.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues digging90650 6/30/14 5:12 PM
Update: Nexus 5 + 4.4.4 doing great today. I don't know why but it may be the multiple restarts I did.
Phone is no longer heating up and battery has been running strong all day. I ended up getting around 14 hours of very heavy use out of it yesterday. 
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 6/30/14 8:54 PM
The battery life on my Nexus 5 has always been horrible.  After updating to 4.4.4, when I turn the display off, the phone heats up like I could fry an egg on it.  I can't even keep it in my pocket, it gets so hot.  Last night, the battery drained down to nothing and shut off.  I wiped the phone's cache today, and it's still doing the same thing.  KitKat 4.4.4 IS A DISASTER!!!  DO SOMETHING GOOGLE!!!  LIKE YESTERDAY!!!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 6/30/14 11:19 PM
My phone is not rooted so I will try CPU Tuner when I've done so.

I've installed Droid Scheduler. I will try it later today.

One questions though, surely Android OS is smart enough to manage its' resources to avoid any unnecessary battery usage??
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/1/14 12:21 AM
Hi,

I have a question.

Does the process of wiping cache done in recovery mode or is can be done via device settings on my Nexus 4? Though its not rooted yet however i have done this before and installed CWM v6.0.4.8 on my phone earlier before OTA 4.4.4 however had to roll back to OEM lock to be able to update my device due to binary changes.

Pls suggest. Also I have installed CPU tuner on my device this morning post reading this article discussion, how do i set it to optimize my device

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/1/14 12:51 AM
I've installed Droid Scheduler.
It seems to be just an app which you are able to schedule several functions to enable / disable at a specific time.
I can't see how this will help with the battery life though?

It's mainly functions like Wifi, bluetooth, brightness, tone... etc...
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/1/14 1:31 AM
One thing I realised after clearing the cache partition is my camera does not work anymore. :-(
Same problem which I originally got "Cannot connect to camera". 

I am going to try restarting it in safe mode and see whether it works there.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/1/14 1:36 AM
I have to restart in safe mode then back to normal mode to get the camera to work?! 
In my experience using an Android phone, from Gingerbread till now, Kit Kat - I never had to do so many extras to get the phone to work. :-(
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues z3razerviper 7/1/14 8:29 AM

On 4.4.3. I was getting horrible battery life I mean it was going about 8 to 10 hours doing nothing. Then I did a factory wipe and then the battery life was awesome I made it 2 to 2.5 days with light to moderate use. But now with 4.4.4 I am back to a day at most with extremely light use. I think it’s time for another factory reset……not liking 4.4.4. Note I always use art…I hate it when I have to factory wipe my phone. Note I have installed nothing new since 4.4.3 except the update.

Cache wipe did nothing for me..:(

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Florian Cronauer 7/1/14 1:03 PM
Here battery drain too. N5 in idle, screen off and 4% battery drain per hour.
This is frustrating!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 7/1/14 3:58 PM
The one thing clearing my cache did was make my phone less laggy.  After I cleared the cache, I deleted about 15 apps that I thought might be an issue, although none of them ever showed up as high cpu users.  That didn't seem to do a whole lot.  If I am actively using the phone, surfing on the web, etc., I never get more than about 4 hours of usage until the battery is down under 20%.  

The odd thing is, I will check the CPU usage, nothing is using that much, then I will turn off the screen and put it in my pocket or whatever, and then something starts using the CPU and making the phone hot...while I'm not even using it.  The battery drain is as bad or worse than when I'm actually using the phone.  The big battery users on my phone are always Screen, Android System, Android OS, and sometimes Google+ or Email.  Just sitting here typing this with the phone on my desk not doing anything, it has dropped from 100% to 97%....that's 3% drop for 10 minutes on battery just sitting there with the screen on.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 7/1/14 4:21 PM
Starvector: Have you looked at the mode setting in location settings?
GPS can consume a lot of battery.  There are several options there, some of which minimize battery usage.

You say unit gets hot in your pocket.  Is this when you are out of WiFi range?  Check the setting in WiFi Advanced Settings for "WiFi Optimization - minimize battery usage when WiFi is on".

Do the same symptoms of the unit getting hot occur when in Safe Mode?  For the unit to get hot like that it sounds like some background process is driving one of the radios real hard, or there is a hardware defect with the unit that is causing an internal short when its in your pocket.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 7/1/14 5:00 PM
Wi-Fi optimization is turned on.  High accuracy location somehow got turned on after I cleared the cache.  I just turned that off.  For some reason, the Wi-Fi strength on my phone seems to vary a lot more lately whereas it used to be stronger.  Not sure if something is going on with my router...I restarted the router, but there doesn't seem to be any change.  I have not tried running the phone in safe mode yet.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues chadley25 7/1/14 9:17 PM
Camera works fine, but regarding the battery life, I have the same problem. It's breathtaking how fast the battery drains now. In three hours of fairly light usage, it's not uncommon for it to shed a third of its full charge, so I dare not leave the house with less than 75%. Really hope the next iteration of Android solves this. 4.4.4 has been rather a nightmare. My Nexus 4 runs noticeably hotter than it did before, too.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/2/14 5:42 AM
After switching on "Avoid poor connections" in the Wifi Advanced Setting and Location mode from "High accuracy" to "Battery saving" mode, it does seem to be a bit better.
I plug it off this morning at 6.45am, now at 1.40pm my battery is at 75%.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues harryt 7/2/14 9:28 AM
I'm on Nexus 5, vs 4.4.4 Vodafone 4G UK.

Since the upgrade my battery life has improved but mobile signal is terrible. If I receive a text, the signal drops out. If I send a text the signal drops out.
The only fixes thus far I have found are 1. turning airplane mode on and off. 2. restarting phone 3. turning off wifi completely
Any one else experiencing this or have a fix?

Battery life improvement could be down to never being connected of course :)

Thanks all

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/2/14 9:39 AM
What Techno Bill stated below is major.

GPS will eat battery life and make it heat up.  Make sure your location is set to Battery Saving Mode.  Also some people changed the WiFi Optimization and were successful.

I have 4.4.4, over 100 apps and I have no issues.  Last charge was almost 2 days with quite a lot of usage (over 2hrs of screen on time).  I also put in in Airplane Mode when I go to bed.  My cache is Dalvik and not ART.

It's very hard to diagnose issues when we don't have the device in our hands.  You would be surprised how many people came back stating "Sorry, had this or that enabled or installed" which caused the issues.

Marc

EDIT: With that said, I'm not saying it's not a hardware issue either, just saying it's hard for us to diagnose!  :)   (especially when mine works like a CHAMP!)
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/2/14 12:31 PM
To be fair Marc, yours lasted a long time because you switch Airplane Mode on when you go bed.
Majority of us I presume will have the phone switched on throughout the night too but probably on-charge.

Like I said earlier, 6.45am took it off from the charger, 8.30pm - 39% left.
The "Avoid poor connections" WIFI setting and Battery Saving Mode for location do seem to help a fair bit.

Anyone who is using Nexus 5 who has a similar battery problem, worth trying this out.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues 3G Signal problem 7/2/14 2:13 PM
I have the same issue. After the 4.4.4 update the 3G signal is dropping frequently on my nexus 5. I did not have the same problem before. I hope the Android developer will fix this soon. 

Any suggestion on how to roll back to 4.4.3. 
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 7/2/14 2:46 PM
My battery life seems to be back to normal now.  My Nexus 5 has been on battery for 10-1/2 hours and drained from 100% to 20% with what I'd consider light usage both on wifi and LTE.  This sounds bad, but it is normal for my phone.  GPS is on battery saving, wifi optimization is on.  My camera has always worked unlike some people on here.

The latest things I did were:  delete all my email accounts, then add them back in, enter APN settings in manually, forget wifi network, then reconnect to wifi network.  I think at least one of these things did something because my phone is now cool to the touch and doesn't get hot.

In the future, if I have issues with heating again, I would probably do in this order until the issue (hopefully) resolves itself:

• Forget wifi network, then reconnect
  • Delete all email accounts, then add them back in
  • Wipe the cache

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues z3razerviper 7/2/14 5:35 PM
Has anyone noticed the google play services have updated multiple times under 4.4.4 i wonder if its due to battery related problems
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 7/2/14 6:24 PM
Mine updated on 6/30 and today 7/2.
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues SergioTESTE Victor 7/2/14 7:29 PM
My Nexus 4 is getting the same problem with the battery after 4.4.4, 6h maximum of battery life.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues z3razerviper 7/2/14 9:08 PM
I had to do a factory reset and its still not as good as 4.4.3 but i think that the play services may be the cause its odd so many updates so soon. 
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Em Lub 7/3/14 2:04 AM
My Wifi Connection it makes me angry everytime!
I tried to clear cache, factory reset, safe mood all things!
Same issues with 4.4.3 and 4.4.4.
I dont know what to do with this phone...
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/3/14 4:59 AM
Hi Eric, yes I know but do the math!  It's in airplane mode twice in 48 hours. Max 8 hrs in airplane as I don't sleep much times 2 equals 16 hrs (I'm being generous here).  That's still a total of 32 Hours FULL ANTENNA ON with a screen on time of close to 3 hours in that!  ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAR, Thanks for sharing your findings!  Keep us updated on how it keeps going!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues xesf 7/3/14 5:27 AM
Also experience a lot of issues since the lastest updates.
Related to the battery mine says it's the Google+ app that uses most of the battery, when I actually don't use it.

Also have a strange issue in Hangouts SMS which kept to display old text in the input sms before writing anything. It's seams a bug somewhare in the cached data.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/3/14 5:50 AM
who knows? It might be a 12-14hours sleep time. LOL   :-P

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/3/14 6:23 AM
Dude, I wish!  lol
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues SergioTESTE Victor 7/3/14 7:47 AM
Solved my battery problem disabling Google+: Settings->Apps->All
Find Google+. Click on it. Then uninstall updates and then disable.

Hope it works for you guys.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/3/14 8:57 AM
If you don't use Google + then why leave it on right?  But I bet if you re-enable it it will probably be fine!

Marc
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues z3razerviper 7/3/14 9:00 AM
last night i only had a 4 % battery drop from 10 to 6am and the only thing i know of that changed was the update to the google play services. I really hope that was the issue.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues ifmacdonald 7/3/14 6:10 PM
I have the same battery drain issues here since the update. It seems like all manner of Google products (wallet, keep, music, books... etc) are running in the background despite a) me never using them and b) disabling sync for all but gmail, contacts and calendar.

Not happy with my N5 after this rollout.

After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues chrisjj 7/3/14 10:38 PM
My N5 started continuously rebooting after the OTA update from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4. The symptoms are: display times out, screen blanks, don't press the power button and after about 5 minutes the phone reboots. This only happens when the phone is not charging and running off the battery.

I have done a factory reset twice, once automatically restoring all apps and again choosing not to reinstall all apps. The second reset worked for a day or two as I gradually reinstalled my apps. and then the issue resumed. I have also tried clearing the system cache. I am thinking of unlocking, routing, and reverting to 4.4.3. The alternative is to return the phone for a replacement as it's still under warranty . Only had it two months - very disappointing.

After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Nexus5 fan 7/4/14 3:46 AM
Both the 4.4.3 & 4.4.4 upgrades have introduced a bug that causes a significant drain on the battery. Even on airplane mode after 5 hours the battery has reduced by 50%. This is not an app causing the problem it's the OS!
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues raptortrading 7/4/14 1:44 PM
I am not able to get signal at all as of 1pm CST today. Anyone else with same problem?
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Laura Collier 7/4/14 3:19 PM
Not a third party app -  this is a disaster.  I haven't been able to get my Nexus 7 fully charged since I installed 4.4.4.  I had NO problems prior to the update.  I've not installed anything else new and had no other updates coinciding with the trouble.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 7/5/14 7:06 PM
I'm beginning to think something was corrupt in my email accounts because my battery life has been a lot better since I deleted all the accounts and then added them back in.  My Android System CPU usage is down a lot since then.  Either that or the recent Google play services updates fixed something.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Srivatsa.M.V 7/6/14 1:44 PM
My Nexus 4 worked amazingly well on 4.4.3 with ~ 24 hours of usage for my usage pattern daily.

Come 4.4.4 and it has now dropped to less than 14 hours :(

What is even more disgusting is that my abruptly gets restarted and it has now become as frequent as 3 - 4 times a day.

Google, you will lose a considerable number from your user base if this is going to continue, and I'm going to be among the early few.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/7/14 10:00 AM
Anyone having issues in this thread I recommend to read the full thread as some people have been successful in fixing the drain issues.

One of them is Techno Bill, he has written a few good posts on steps to perform to hopefully solve issues.  (Thanks Bill!)

Marc
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Tanner Squash 7/7/14 7:09 PM
Hello everyone, I am so upset with Google. Everything was fine with my unlocked and rooted nexus 5 until it somehow automatically updated itself to 4.4.4. After sometime, I hesitantly re-rooted and relocked my phone to receive 4.4.3 OTA. I got the update,re-unlocked and re-rooted, reinstalled and setup Xposed and fav modules and things were good again (I've never had any problems with my nexus 5 until now.) I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE A NEW ANDROID UPDATE A WEEK LATER! WTF! I decided NOT TO UPDATE dispite the static reminder on my status bar. I had been ignoring the icon for quite a while when suddenly, it was gone. My soft keys were back, no pie controls and no unlocked boot loader. My phone updated itself. Now, if I'm in an app and someone calls the phone freezes until they hang up. Needless to say, I cant answer. This is very irritating. I will reflash stock 4.4 and update again (only so there will be no icon hogging precious real estate in the corner of my screen) and see if I get a fix. Just wanted to Vent.Thanks.

Oh yeah, now my phone sends various bug reports all day. It sent it's first after 4.4.4 was mysteriously installed.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Hadeur 7/8/14 1:59 AM
I'm starting to think that this maybe has to do with another "App" (like the Play Services or some other change) since i changed to CM11 on my Nexus 4 yesterday, which is still 4.4.2 and i still have quite high battery drain from "Android-System". I noticed this since 4.4.3/4.4.4.

I will monitor this further.. really annoying. :(
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/8/14 5:08 AM
Tanner,

If you phone is rooted (as I gather it is because you have Xposed) the OTA update will not work, it will give errors.  So in my opinion, something else happened.

Marc
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Roderick Johnson 7/8/14 6:20 PM
My WiFi no longer works on my phone.  It says that I am Connected, but nothing loads on my phone unless I use data.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 7/8/14 6:26 PM
Roderick: I know this doesn't make sense but try a power reset of your WiFi router.

I havw had similar issues where one of my nexus devices would not do WiFi, but the others and the PCs worked fine.

Poqer resetting the WiFi router resolved the issue.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Tanner Squash 7/8/14 8:44 PM
Complained about freezing phone earlier. Flashed L Dev preview and no problems persist. Its nice, but i miss xposed. Investigating compatibility.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/9/14 2:16 AM
Hi Techno Bill,

I am running with the issue since last 1 week approx and haven't had a convincing reply to my issues yet neither from anyone in the group nor Google Dev team as of yet.

I am absolutely stunned with your response above to Roderick's query on this subject to Power reset his WIFI router while its working just perfect with other devices, as I fail to gauge what and how will this help my nexus device to work fine while router isn't an issue and its my device and its OS being buggy.

Don't mind the above however this seems like a child play to me to keep toggling between 1 or the other magic wand suggestion coming in and keep messing around with everything else other than Google Dev team how can actually make a difference with their observations and suggestions to our concerns being voice in this forum.

I hope you agree.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/9/14 4:47 AM
Yatin,

Techno Bill fixed his own issue by doing a power cycle on his router and modem.  Not child's play to me.  

To tell you frankly, I had the same issue with my old phone as it would not connect.  Everything else worked fine, I unplugged the power and batt from modem and powered off router.  Then powered modem and then router and VOILA!  So we are suggesting things because we have had success with them.

Marc

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 7/9/14 5:14 AM
Yatin: When it comes to WiFi and internet, we are dealing with several pieces of technology all of which could potentially have hidden bugs that only appear when the circumstances are right.

An example of one time when internet access stopped occurred when the carrier changed the DNS IP address.  Normally it would get picked up automatically, but if your computers are on 24/7 as mine are, it required a reboot to clear the cached DNS addresses.  When this occurred some things worked but most didn't.

As to your earlier question about CPU Tuner, all you have to do is ensure it is enabled on its settings page.  It has a number of predefined triggers that kick in at various battery levels.  

As to ways to clear cache on  a Nexus 4, I can't comment as I don't have one, only a n5 and a n7.

I have been running 4.4.3/4.4.4 since they were OTA'd to my devices.  I have only experienced a couple minor issues, and they were with apps not the OS and clearing their cache cleared up the issues.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/9/14 5:55 AM
Techno Bill & Bigs73 - As I mentioned I am not blaming anyone here for suggesting a trick however all I am saying is it has worked for you however isn't working for me & one of my friend with what I read in your comment to this post.

It simply seems to be a magic wand suggestion to me reason why I commented earlier. I understand, not all users will be able to fix their issues with 1 yardstick approach as the key factors driving the issues may differ and hence reason for me to say its a Magic Wand / Child's Play approach. 

By no means I intend to bring disgrace to you or your meaningful thoughts in this forum. I hope I have been able to make my point and explain my intend.

Apology incase this seems to have hurt you in any shape or form. Cheers.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/9/14 6:12 AM
It's all good Yatin!  :) 

We do appreciate your feedback!  
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Adam Staton 7/9/14 10:08 AM
My battery has definitely improved since installing Battery Guru but still not what it was. Will finally try the cache wiping thing later.

In the last couple of days it has also started asking me to choose input method when I'm typing. Not always but it's done it a few times now. Quite strange. Anyone else had this one?

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Adam Staton 7/9/14 10:10 AM
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Adam Staton 7/9/14 10:10 AM
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues md ajaz 7/9/14 9:49 PM
i tried using google camera in safe mode. it works fine in safe mode but when i restart the problem presist same...the camera is not working 

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Bigs73 7/10/14 4:44 AM
MD,

If it works in Safe Mode, then you have a 3rd party application conflicting with it.  Start removing apps that use the Camera.  

Marc
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Srijith G Nath 7/10/14 6:34 AM
There are issues about this update of KitKat 4.4.4 and that Google has promised to fix these problems soon
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/10/14 7:15 AM
Even i am Seeking inputs from all members in this forum to see if we have any commitments from Google Dev team on this? Pls see Click Here
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 7/10/14 8:20 AM
I think we just need to wait for Android L to come out... that is supposed to substantially improve battery life. The only other major issues I have with my Nexus 5 are my email crashes all the time and the quality of photos isn't that great.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues xesf 7/10/14 8:26 AM
It's incredible the palette of issues we see here. Everyone got their own...
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 7/10/14 8:48 AM
I have not seen any appreciable difference in battery life with 4.4.3/4.4.4 on both my Nexus 5 and my Nexus 7 - if anything it is probably a bit better, but definitely no worse.

Could battery life be better?  Well everyone would love their portable devices to last longer on a charge, but reality and practicability factors come to play.  Google could have built a phone that would last for a month on a single charge, but then people would complain it was too big and heavy.  Its always a delicate trade off balance.

As to improvements with Android L, from what I have read, it will provide a framework that creates the potential for apps to coordinate various activities that are particularly battery intensive so as to minimize the ultimate draw on battery.  That is why a developer version is available to allow developers to make the changes necessary to their apps to use these new features to minimize their battery consumption.  But if the apps you love and use a lot that are draining your battery don't make those changes, then after the release of Android L there will still be complaints that the OS is causing battery drain.

My 2 cents worth.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues starvector 7/10/14 9:08 AM
I would have zero problems if the phone were 1/3 thicker or whatever it took to increase the battery size by 50% or more.  These companies are fools for continually trying to make everything thinner at the expense of battery life. We go and put bulky cases and otter boxes on these things anyways and these guys are trying to make paper thin phones and tablets that compromise battery life,  speaker sizes and audio quality,  etc. It's ridiculous.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues mdebar 7/13/14 10:45 AM
Google Nexus 7 tablet (second version). After upgrading to the latest Android release, the battery life is now only about 1/3 of what it was before the update. With the tablet unused, all services disabled, wifi off, the battery drains completely in 3 to 3.5 days; pre-update would have been in excess of 12 days in the same conditions. As far as battery life is concerned, after a year experience using both, I can say that the iPad mini beats the Nexus 7 by a huge margin as far as battery life is concerned.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues shakti singh4451 7/15/14 10:47 AM
After updating my neuxs 4 to 4.4.4 version , I am unable to connect with PC, phone is not getting recognized by PC . I am unable to transfer any files or data.

Please provide the solution to this issue.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Tammy Huang 7/16/14 12:18 AM
I have the same problem! Battery life is horrible and my bluetooth is refusing to work (the phone cannot detect and bluetooth devices, and vice versa)
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/16/14 12:32 AM
Try to re-install the phone drivers on your PC.

Please make sure to uninstall the previously installed drivers by following the below: - 

Right click on My Computer > Device Manager > Select your Device > Right Click and select Uninstall Drivers.

Once this is done download the USB drivers from Here and install them. Once done, restart your computer / laptop to allow full installation and re-connect your device.

let me know how do you get on with this......
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Tammy Huang 7/16/14 5:13 PM
Just to note, I can't detect ANY bluetooth devices in the area. Not PCs, not Macs, not bluetooth headphones. These devices do not see my Nexus 5 either, even if it is on 'discoverable mode'.

It' s like bluetooth doesn't even exist on my phone anymore
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Jan dela Cruz 7/16/14 8:21 PM
i also noticed that after 4.4.2 battery is now consumed faster even if i haven't changed my usage habits, which is very low usage.  i don't even root my phone to tinker, as I always believe that what's provided is the best and optimal setup. in any case, downgrading back to 4.4.2 seems troublesome especially if Android L is coming already.  so i figured to just  wait and observe Android L if it fixes the battery issue.  just bear with this 4.4.4 high consumption for the meantime.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/17/14 4:39 AM
Jan & Tammy,

I am currently using Android L Pre-release 5 on my nexus 4 device. The battery life is still and issue on it and comes for free. Also Android L still carries the battery over heating issue when on AC Charge.

Battery life is poor again.

Not sure what's not right with Google Dev Or our Google powered devices which i causing such a pain to all users like us
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues nematoda 7/17/14 2:44 PM
I, too, am experiencing serious battery drain even when I do nothing with the phone. 

I am doing as you suggest: I just restarted in safe mode @ 2:37 p.m. with 30%. I will update after a couple of hours (in the meantime, I'm not going to touch the phone).
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues nematoda 7/17/14 3:09 PM
In safe mode, my battery drained from 30% to 26% in just 30 minutes. I did not use the phone at all during that time. This is just crazy, and unacceptable.
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues SergioTESTE Victor 7/17/14 8:41 PM
Update: still shit battery. Even without google+
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/18/14 12:17 AM
Nematoda & Sergio,

For sure, the issue we all have with nexus devices with regards to its battery life isn't pulled by any faulty app(s) however its now sure that it the bug in OS itself which Google Developer team needs to be provide a fix for.

If the issue was with an App or our device hardware I can bet we would have been in the same situation with earlier OTA updates before kitkat which isn't the case with anyone of us.

I have noticed that the battery bar shows misc usage of battery at minimum 34% on daily basis which is quite weird & unexpected OS behaviour from Google.

Lets wait n watch the future progress on this matter as i am in serious thoughts to move on from Google & Android devices and go along the Apple way. At-least we would be able to use our device as we desire and not how the OS bug with Android wants to drag it.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Robert3 7/18/14 4:49 PM
I'd just like to add my device as one which is experiencing battery drain.  I definitely get fewer hours between charge (used to be almost 2 days, now it's one), and the obvious quantifiable change is when I'm in airplane mode.  I have my phone off and in airplane while I sleep and before 4.4.3, the battery drain would flatline, and I'd wake up with the same battery percentage that I went to sleep with.  Now I lose about 10% each night.  I did see 0% drain one night after a restart, so perhaps there is something related to an app, but since this never happened before, I assume that either the OS is doing it, or something changed that allowed some app to drain the battery when that possibility didn't exist before.  Can't wait until a fix comes.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues maxim bolduc 7/18/14 6:07 PM
I have low speaker noise problems on m'y 1 week old nexus 5 with koodo.

I run on 4.4.4 with original ROM.

Help plz!!!

(unknown) 7/18/14 7:50 PM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 7/18/14 8:05 PM <This message has been deleted.>
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Angel Yasso 7/18/14 8:09 PM

After the latest update to 4.4.4 on my nexus 4, when I open the camera, my phone getting restart suddenly!!!
Also the Battery life is very bad. I have to recharge the battery towic a day without using GPS !!!!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Aadithya Praveen Kumar 7/18/14 11:08 PM
I'm  having a lot of issues after the 4.4.4 OTA besides the camera daemon eating my battery, closing my camera. I'm also experiencing malfunctions in Auto Brightness, Screen timeout, LED not functioning properly (I'm using Light Manger). I know the camera bg process issue was there in 4.4.2, but I didn't have any issue then and I thought Google should have fixed that 4.4.3.  I have also uninstalled Skype, power toggles  and other camera accessing apps, still no use.  Even my power button stopped working all of a sudden and I had to  wipe my device to fix it.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/20/14 10:33 AM
Lately I've been getting a lot of "Sim Card Added - Please restart" error.
I had to restart my Nexus 5 numerous time.

Apparently someone said that if I switch off the Location feature on my phone, it will help in reducing the error; which is true.
After switching off the Location, the frequency of it happening is less.

This can't be the permanent solution for this.

Does anyone else experience the same problem?
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Vikas Gaurav 7/20/14 8:39 PM
Hi Eric,
          Yes,  I too am facing the same problem of battery drain. The camera though is working fine but the battery will drain out in 8-10 hours even if I keep the phone in Flight mode. I'll charge the battery in the night to 100% & keep the phone in flight mode for the entire night, and wake up to 50% battery next morning. :(
This is insane.
During normal operation, with minimal usage, the battery will last only 6-7 hrs maximum.
Until a few days back the battery would last normally 18-20 hrs.
Google, pls look into the issue.

----Vikas
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Eric Randall 7/21/14 8:48 PM
I just also want to say I hate my phone now that I updated to 4.4.4. My battery never gets me through a day. I want google to give me my money back on this phone.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Jon Del rosario 7/22/14 7:47 PM
im also having the heating up and battery drain problem.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Neha Shah1234 7/23/14 12:32 AM
Hi ,I am facing issues while calling
My phone gets disconnected .
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues xesf 7/23/14 8:08 AM
I'm also getting issues with the Back button. I'm inside an application, do back button till the very last one and when the app is minimazed, another app appear.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues mahima gupta 7/24/14 4:06 AM
Hi Marc,

I am facing issues with battery life.
With previous update it was working fine but with latest update it is getting drained way too fast.

Is there any way it can be fixed.

Regards
Mahima

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/24/14 7:24 AM
Hi Mahima,

This is a known bug with Android 4.4.4 OTA. We'll soon have Android L out on OTA (Android 5.0) from Google. I am currently using its Pre-release (Developer OS) on my nexus 4. Its just awesome.

Amazing UI, great battery life as compared with 4.4.4. My battery last's for more than 1 day without data use and with Data service on throughout the day my battery gives me about 18-20hrs usage time which is great when compared with 4.4.4 as my battery use to last only for about 4-6 hours.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/24/14 7:43 AM
Hi Yatin,

Maybe you should suggest to Google to release a Beta version to a wider community to test (maybe us?) :-)

Eric
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 7/24/14 7:52 AM
Yatin:  I anxiously await Android L as well, considering that I currently go 38 hours on a charge with 15-25% left at the end on 4.4.4, then I should be able to go a week on L!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/24/14 8:09 AM
Hi guys

Pls search goodle xda forum. I will share the link once i get on web via laptop today. U'll be able to search and download Android L for nexus 5 and 4 as zip file. Just try searching for android L pre release 5.

Pls note there are lot of apps that arent workibg on it like facebook dropbox etc so pls be aware.

Let me know do u get along this. This a developer version and is under development phase (beta versions).

Will share links shortly to download fule and install instructions

(unknown) 7/24/14 11:48 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/24/14 11:49 PM
Try this.

If you'd like to flash Nexus 4 / 5 with Android L, its quite simple if you follow the below steps: - 

Pre-requisites:

Before installing Android L developers’ preview, make sure these things should be done

1. First of all remember this guide is only for Nexus 4. Don’t try it for any other device. Confirm you device model number. For this go to settings > About device > Model.
  2. Confirm that your device must have installed custom recovery.
  3. You must have Google USB drivers installed.
  4. Enable USB debugging mode on your device. For this go to settings > Developer options > USB Debugging > Enable. (Before this enable developer options settings > About Device > Tap the build number for 7 times and you will get the developer options enabled).
  5. Check your device battery. It should be at-least 60% filled to avoid any issues during the process.
  6. Be sure to make a complete back up of your important data. This is precautionary measurement to avoid any inconvenience if you lost data during the process.
  7. If your device is already rooted, use Titanium Backup to back up all your data and also in case you are using custom recovery, it is suggested that you back up your current system.
  8. Please note that you will go through Data wipes during installation of this ROM, so be sure to make back up of all your important data (apps + Docs + System Data).

Now let’s move towards installation tutorial

How to Install Android L developers Preview on Nexus 4:

Follow each step carefully to install Android L on Nexus 4

1. First of all install CWM or TWRP recovery on your Nexus 4
  2. Download Android L firmware .zip file: (Click here)
  3. Now if you download this file on your PC then connect your device to PC and copy .zip file. Then disconnect your device from PC.
  4. Then boot into Fastboot mode on your Nexus 4. For this first turn off your device and then turn it on by pressing and holding Volume down and Power key.
  5. Then use Volume keys to navigate between the options and make selection via power key. Select “recovery Mode”
  6. On entering into recovery mode, select “wipe factory Data/Reset” and confirm the wipe. Once wiped, return to the main recovery menu.
  7. Now select mounts and storage > format/system and click Yes to confirm.
  8. Go to advance from the main recovery menu and there, select wipe dalvik cache and click yes to confirm the process. Then again return to recovery menu
  9. Then in recovery mode, Select “install zip > choose install Zip from SD card and ten locate & select downloaded zip file and confirm installation. Wait a little bit, till the process is completed.
  10. Once flashing is finished, select wipe Cache
  11. Then select advanced > wipe dalvik cache
  12. From the recovery menu select Reboot system now. It might take some time, about 19 minutes and as soon as your device reboots, Android L will start running onto your device Nexus 4.

(If the home button does not work then perform full wipe to fix the issue.)

Let me know how do you get along with the above.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/24/14 11:50 PM
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/24/14 11:51 PM
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/25/14 12:23 AM
This should help you with your requirements.

Download Link: (Click here)
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues --Eric-- 7/25/14 9:23 AM
The steps are for Nexus 4. 

What about for Nexus 5? Same steps?
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 7/25/14 9:45 AM
yes pls
(unknown) 7/26/14 12:53 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Daniel Dorje 7/27/14 4:46 AM
My issue is that after the 4.4.4 Update the batery takes a very long time to charge, and then discharges very quickly. 

Since I have not installed any new apps, it must be something triggered by the update, it was not like this before. 

Since these kinds of issues also seem very common, maybe Google should look at locating the problem and issuing a new update? 

In the meantime, what is the best thing one can do to manage this problem? 

Regards

Daniel
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Vinay Jindal 8/1/14 10:14 PM
There is a petition against Google and LG out the issues faced by nexus users. Please support this by mentioning your problem and signing it at link given below: 

So far, Google/LG seem indifferent about it but lets join all hands together and raise our voices at next higher level.

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues VICO Y 8/6/14 6:10 PM
My phone constantly around 99F. Is that what everyone else is experiencing? I'm on stock and just got a refurb phone.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 8/7/14 1:10 AM
this is quite common a issue with 4.4.4 OTA update. I suggest you roll down to 4.4.2 as I had done the same and absolutely delighted with my nexus device.

Try using nexus Root Toolkit to do so.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Jin- 8/13/14 11:12 PM
I noticed this too, 4.4.4 drains battery like mad. I do not even use the phone and battery drains like 30-40% in a day without any applications running (fresh phone restart)
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues z3razerviper 8/14/14 6:35 AM
Yesterday my phone went from 100% to 30 in 13 hours of almost no use when i looked at the battery use the search services had registered 12 hours of gps use and the widget was indicating the gps was off. Its odd sometimes i even get calls when the phone is in airplane mode something is seriously wrong with 4.4.4. Note my phone had a factory reset after i updated to 4.4.4. 
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues sukhman baath 8/19/14 12:42 AM
Hi Marc,
My camera "takes the photo" I can here the click and all but the photo can't be seen in gallery.
So really I can't take any pics.
I've tried rebooting in regular and safe mode and nothing has helped.

Thanks,
Sukhman

After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues dog lee 8/24/14 8:35 AM
Yes to Nexus 5 phone sucks
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues dog lee 8/24/14 8:36 AM
the sound on the Nexus 5 is horribleit is the worst phone auto 4 I have
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues skafjeld 8/26/14 7:39 AM
I bought my phone yesterday and havet to restart to charge.
The phone charged nicely right out of the box,so i also guess on some update.

Anyone found any solution or workaround, or should i just go for DOA?

After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues shrimay sutaria 9/1/14 11:06 AM
Hi I am shrimay from India.
I am facing problem in updation.
Whenever they ask for system update I download it and then restart it for installation. But during installation process it stops in between and shows error symbol.
Kindly help me for above.I have already reset the phone.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues shrimay sutaria 9/1/14 11:11 AM
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 9/1/14 11:40 PM
Hi Shrimay,

While I have been a new member in the Google family. I'd like to share certain work around to all those who have been facing issues with updating their Nexus devices with OTA Update.

Drop me a comment on this post to let me know how do you get along with the below or to seek further assistance / guidance / inputs on the below procedures.
  1. Download Nexus Root Tool Kit from here - Nexus Root Toolkit
  2. Run the Application.
  3. Take a back up (Recommended as this process will wipe all user data from your device)
  4. Enable USB debugging mode to ON on your device & Connect the device with USB Cable.
  5. Click on Button from Nexus Root Toolkit interface window (i.e. on Right Hand Side) labelled "Flash Stock + UnRoot"
  6. Let the application do its task and set the phone back to manufacturer settings. This may take up to 5-10 mins or even 20 mins depending upon the process steps required to set your device back to normal and Internet Speed.
  7. Once this is done, Click on Button from Right Hand Bottom labelled "OEM LOCK".
  8. This process will take about max 5 mins to fix the device permissions and other Tampered settings. be patient and let the application do its task.
  9. Once this is completed, set up your device using Google mail account i.e. Gmail and check for Updates as mentioned below: - 
  10. GO to > Settings > About Device > System Updates > Check for Updates.
  11. You should now be able to receive all future OTA update patches on your device.
Please note with the above process, you are only setting up your phone back to manufacturer settings which may have been tweaked either due to OS issues or while Rooting / Flashing customer ROM(s) on your device.

This process doesn't have any harm or damage to your nexus device. I have done this many a times on my nexus device(s) as I have about 5 devices in my family and have never faced any issues. In case of any challenges, PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE / HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE.

Happy to answer any further queries / questions that may arise out of the above methods.!!
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 9/2/14 1:26 AM
Yes pls. the only difference will the Build as Nexus 4 needs Mako image and Nexus 5 will need Hammerhead.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Suvendu Pothal 9/11/14 2:39 PM
i am facing the same battery draining problem even if phone is in idle stage.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 9/11/14 11:30 PM
This is due to buggy Kitkat update 4.4.4.

try downgrading your device to 4.4.2 using nexus Root Toolkit from wugfresh. You should be able to stay away from such a creepy bug killing your phone.

Let me know incase of any help that you may require.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues sameer badachi 9/17/14 7:46 AM
Hi,

I am also facing the same issue, the camera didn't work for some time, but started working again and suddenly my battery back up is become crazy, only 8hrs,also I see the mm-qcamera-daemon thing in my battery usage, I thought that was fixed :-(

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues aruna agarwal 9/24/14 4:18 AM
Hi,

I am also facing the same issue, my phone's battery is draining very fast when it is in idle state ,camera not working properly and sometimes phone gets switched automatically and did not turned on even after pressing power on button. I have seen a process mm-qcamera-daemon is using almost 40-50% battery. I am feeling that it is killing my phone, if anybody has found any solution for it, then please let me know.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues tawsif17 9/24/14 10:03 PM
reset ur nexus 5 and importantly dont update ur camera. i have attached a screen shot of that updated camera pic... go to play store before reset and turn off "all updates automatically". i had same problem.. hopefully u got the answer 
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Sree545 9/24/14 10:56 PM
Can we revert back to kitkat 4.4.3 ?  if the answer is yes then tell me how ? The mobile was perfect when it was on 4.4.3, after installing the latest... i lost the tring tring and hello  .. the basic functionaliy of any phone.. very sad and disappointed !  

thanks
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Kiruba Mphil 9/27/14 6:55 AM
The same prob for me more over camera also crashed
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues TM9074 9/27/14 11:47 PM
I've own my Nexus 5 for about 7 months now. The phone itself has been great, until recently I have some battery issues. After this update, my battery only lasts for 5 hours max and it takes 4 hours to reach 100% battery charge.its been like this for the past 4 days. The issue started with my Nexus 5 blinking a red light when I tried charging it. Now the phone over heats, battery drains without even having to use the phone and it takes about 10 minutes for the phone to display any signs of charging...all I say is that red light blinking for about 10 minutes. Any solutions?  
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues russinc 9/28/14 1:44 PM
My problem is when I make a call the voice sounds like it is scrambled and electronic.  My wife is using her windows phone as we speak with the same carrier.  Has anyone reported this type problem?  How do I fix it?  Where do I go for help?  Thanks Russ
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues mrsamuel 10/5/14 9:28 PM
I am new to the Nexus crowd, as I have just bought my Nexus 5 a week ago. I absolutely loved the crisp screen and fast operating system, however the battery drainage problem has become soooooo annoying, that I am at a lost for what to do.

I was told and have seen on a bunch of sites that the Nexus 5 last an entire day after being fully charged, so you can imagine how surprised I was when updating to the 4.4.4, and having my battery drain after 8 hours of very low usage.

I downloaded a battery doctor and all killer and some other stuff, but they don't seem to help.

I really hope that Google does something about it, as it is kind of marring the whole new phone excitement...

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 10/5/14 11:34 PM
Hi Samuel,

Welcome to the buggy world of kitkat 4.4.4.

I wouldn't disagree with the pain you are in with your Nexus 5 on 4.4.4 platform however trust me their is no other way to get rid of it other than what I have mentioned below.

if you are not so techy I suggest you to read my instruction sword-by-word and follow it to the word before you try and do something. Though nexus devices are so secure to have any damage however this completely depends on what you do and how you do it.

With the below steps you will be downgrading your device from 4.4.4 platform to 4.4.2 which is much stable a build and should complete do away with your battery drain issue.

Steps to Follow

1. Download the nexus Root toolkit (NRT) from Google. Click Here
  2. Install and let the application update all the required files. Please ensure that you select the correct build for your device as nexus 5 (4.4.4) and allow updating.
  3. Once this is done, download a custom recovery file from here.
  4. Once done, click the button in centre bottom of the application Labelled as "Root" and click the custom recovery checkbox. Locate the file you downloaded in step 3 and hit ok
  5. Allow the process to complete and your phone will reboot 1-2 times to complete the process.
  6. Once your phone is back up in normal mode i.e. its turned on, now click on the button labelled "CHANGE" from left hand top of the application and from the dropdown select 4.4.2 build for Nexus 5.
  7. This step will take you to a screen where it will ask to either browse and select the 4.4.2 build file for Nexus 5 or allow the application to automatically download the select build file for your device and complete installation. if you have downloaded 4.4.2 build file already (which i doubt) select the file by browsing to the folder location or let the application download it first for you and do installation. If you want to download the image file for 4.4.2 build for nexus 5, CLICK HERE and unzip the .tgz file to extract the Zip folder. You will need to locate the zip folder later during this step to select the zip file to install on your device.
  8. This step may take upto 30-45 mins depending upon your Internet speed.
  9. Once this is done, Click on button from right hand top labelled "FLASH STOCK+UNROOT" and allow the process to complete. your phone will reboot twice during this process so sit back and relax.
  10. Once this is done and your phone boots up normally, Click the button labelled "OEM Lock" from the right hand bottom of the application window and allow the process to complete. This will again go back and reboot your device twice to set your phone back to manufacturer's setting and clear all manual changes we have made in the above steps.
  11. Once this is done, your phone will take about 5-10 mins to reboot as this will clear all changes and takes longer. Dont worry your phone is safe.
  12. Set up your phone again using your Google account and you are done downgrading your device from creepy 4.4.4 to 4.4.2 stable build.
Post this you will see the update messages for your device however stay away from updating it further as this will drag you back to 4.4.4 which you'd like to avoid at this stage.

Just incase you get along any challenge while following the above steps, just get back to me (though there shouldn't be anything to do so) at Email Me

Stay happy using your device i.e. Nexus 5.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 10/6/14 12:26 AM
HI,

There is Beta2 version launched for Android L however please note that one of the best android App Clean Master to clear all junk and free Ram memory is not working on it.

Also the screen lock can only be set for Swipe as the other lock features like: - Pin, Pattern aren't working for now with this build.

Let me know if anyone had like to give it a shot. Though i can confirm that the battery heat and drain issue seems to be much better than the previous build.

here is the link to download the build and manually push the build image. This is for mako build devices only i.e. Nexus 4 while for hammerhead i.e. Nexus 5 you might want to wait further. CLICK TO DOWNLOAD ANDROID L BETA2

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 10/6/14 1:40 AM
Try this Eric & Marc, this should certainly allow you to get rid of the 4.4.4 issues.
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues mrportisaac 10/9/14 1:35 PM
I am a 65 year old pensioner. I bought my wife a google nexus 5 phone for her birthday. It was great until Google without my knowledge or permission ruined it by downgrading the firmware to KITCRAP!!! She can no longer use her phone because after two years learning how to use Jelly Bean she now is faced with a completely new operating system which we didn`t ask for and don`t want. I am trying to get some good old fashioned CUSTOMER SERVICE from Google but it seems to be an alien concept to them. Consequently if they don`t contact me or do something about it I will take them to court for the cost of the ruined phone and my inconvenience. What may seem to Google to be an all singing all dancing wonder of modern technology is in fact to others a ruddy nuisance and they don't seem interested in helping either. There seems to be no way to contact them. All I can do is keep posting on forums until they notice that they have an unhappy customer and come down off their haughty perch to offer a mere customer some help.
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Adikesh Bhargava 10/15/14 12:59 AM
Phone gets heated up like crazy battery lasts less ...please get me the new update
After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yves Sulser 10/18/14 4:29 AM
So i have a really wierd problem with my Nexus 5's battery. When i'm using my Nexus 5 from time to time the battery would shut down at 60/70% (even with Android L) Mostly i have to wait 10 minutes and then i've a completley new precentage. I hoped it's better when i go back to stock. But the problem is still there... So i think the battery is not damaged because CPU Z tells me the Battery life is still fine. Memory effect, is a thing that the new batterys also don't have. What should i do in your opinon? Should i wait until it has 0%? Does anyone know this wierd problem?
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Tarun Kaza 10/22/14 8:56 AM
I've had my nexus 5 for about 9 months now. Over the past couple of months, I've had so issues with the power button. It becomes really sensitive and the device turns off. If I try to turn it back on, it boot loops. It's really annoying :/ I have to connect it to the charger and hold the power button for 20 seconds for the device to turn on. Sometimes, even this doesn't work and I need to do it over and over a few times till the device actually turns on :/ I'm really concerned. Please help
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Chinmay Biswas 11/7/14 9:39 PM
Hi, after upgrading 4.4.4 I'm not able to connect any VPN server with my nexus 5. Also battery drain quickly and charging time more than 4 hours. Can anyone suggest what to do?

..Chinmay

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Chinmay Biswas 11/7/14 9:43 PM
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Chinmay Biswas 11/7/14 9:43 PM
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Yatin Asri 11/9/14 10:37 PM
ITs good for you to downgrade back to 4.4.2 from existing 4.4.4 firmware for your hammerhead device
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Amanda You 11/10/14 10:46 AM
my nexus not working too:(-
Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Amanda You 11/10/14 10:48 AM
anyone please can help? my nexus can't turn on ! when power on only see four circle 

Re: After Android 4.4.4 update on Nexus 5, some issues Techno Bill 11/10/14 11:07 AM
Amanda:  First thing I would suggest you try is to go to Recovery Mode and Wipe Cache.  

If the problem still persists, then go to Recovery Mode and Restore to Factory Default (NOTE: if you have to do this step it will erase all your data on your phone - so hopefully you have a backup).

To do this proceed as follows:

1) Power down your Nexus
2) Hold Power and Volume Down simultaneously until you feel a vibrate and see something on the screen
3) Tap Volume Down repeatedly until you see Recovery Mode in red at the top of the screen
4) Tap Power button,  There will be a vibrate and a brief display of Google, then you will see an android on his back with a red triangle containing an exclamation mark.
5) While holding Power, tap the Volume Up button once.  You should see several lines at the top of your screen
6) Tap Volume Down repeatedly until "wipe cache partition" is highlighted
7) Tap Power to begin.  Status messages will appear at the bottom of the screen.  Wait until a message indicates the operation is complete (it could take 20 minutes).  Be patient and do not interrupt the process.
8) when complete power on your device.

If this does not fix the problem and you have to reset to factory defaults, then the steps above are the same except for 6.

6) Tap Volume Down repeatedly until "wipe data/factory reset" is highlighted

The remaining steps are the same.  Again be patient and allow the process to complete without interruption.

Cheers
Bill
More topics »