Categories: Nexus 5 : Other discussions :

Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag

Showing 1-19 of 19 messages
Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Pravin Krishnan 6/24/14 10:20 PM

Hi,

For quite sometime now I find that my nexus 5 keyboard has become extremely glitchy and choppy. I find that the keyboard isn't as smooth as it was when I first got my device. There seems to be a lot of a lag between the time I press the key to the when the characters actually appear. It is very apparent when I am typing sentences in one flow. This is causing too many typos and is extremely annoying. I could, at one time, comfortably type long text messages with hardly any typos. The typos that I get can be considered almost impossible to generate unless you are willingly typing random characters

I am on android 4.4.4 and this problem has existed for the past couple of months. I don't have any custom firmware installed. My frequently used messaging apps are Viber, WhatsApp and Google hangouts. But this issue seems to be there even when I am typing something in the browser

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag RockyMaster 6/25/14 1:26 AM
Hi Pravin,

I am sorry for experiencing this problem with your device.

An app you installed could be the caused this problem.

I recommend a reboot in safe mode.

If the problem persists, do reset your device.

Please let us know the progress.

Regards,
RockyMaster
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Bigs73 6/25/14 6:00 AM
Hi Pravin,

I would recommend what Rocky suggested and boot in Safe Mode.

You have Viber & WhatsApp installed and I personally think those are 2 of the worst apps that cause issues.  

(Issues with Whatsapp on other platforms also)

Booting in Safe Mode will disable all 3rd party apps and you will be able to test if it lags in there.

Let us now.
Marc
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Pravin Krishnan 6/25/14 1:58 PM
Thanks for your responses. I have tried booting in safe mode but it seems to help just a little bit

Though I have Viber and WhatsApp installed, the problem seems to exist wherever I type- YouTube, chrome hangouts etc

I never had this problem when I first got the phone. For example, when ibtype "m" the correct letter pops up but I "." Comes on the  screen

The keyboard is really erratic at times. I notice the lag when I type a word and press space bar, all the words are mashed together with typos.I also think the autocorrect and word prediction has some issue..

Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag RockyMaster 6/25/14 2:25 PM
Hi Pravin,

That is a good indication. It means that an app you installed is causing the problem. Try to uninstall the last app you install before you experience the problem and let's see the progress.
I strongly agreed with Marc that  these apps are causing problems particularly when both installed on the device.

Regards,
RockyMaster 
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Bigs73 6/26/14 8:26 AM
Hi Pravin,  

Try a different keyboard like Swiftkey and see what that does.  You can do what Rocky stated also and remove those apps and see how it goes.  You can always re-install them afterwards!  :)

Marc
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Pravin Krishnan 6/26/14 1:39 PM
Hi,

I have tried swiftkey. But I prefer the regular keyboard. Maybe it's because I didn't have the patience getting used to swift key. But still, the standard keyboard shouldn't cause issues. It's so erratic that at times, entire words fail to appear on the screen because when typing the spacebar skips smaller words like "in", "the" etc

I will uninstalling the other apps and see if that helps
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Pravin Krishnan 6/26/14 6:31 PM
Hi,

I tried uninstalling Viber and Whatsapp. That doesn't seem to help either. Any other suggestions? My last resort is to do a factory reset and see if that helps

Thanks for your help

Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag RockyMaster 6/27/14 12:29 AM
Hi Pravis,

Reset is not the last resort for your issue. We can still find a solution for your problem.
For the meantime, I insist you to reset your device to factory setting.

Keep posting your feedback.

Regards,
RockyMaster
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Pravin Krishnan 6/27/14 3:58 PM
@RockyMaster

I am sorry but I dont understand. Should I try resetting my phone to the factory default or is there another fix?

Thanks
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Bigs73 6/28/14 4:04 AM
Hi Pravin,

I would try a factory reset and see where that brings you.  When it comes back do not register your account yet and skip that to see if the keyboard had the issue.  Then if it's fine, then register your account!

Let us know!
Marc
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag RockyMaster 6/28/14 4:40 AM
Hi Pravin,

I agree with Marc. Reset you device and follow his recommendation.

Regards,
RockyMaster

Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Pravin Krishnan 6/28/14 6:04 PM
Hmm..won't I have to register my account to actually use the device? As in, shouldn't I sign in to use hangouts browser etc?
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag RockyMaster 6/28/14 7:32 PM
Hi Pravin,

As what I understood to Marc post reset the device and when it start again it'll ask for a user account. Just skip that option them try keyboard if it will work.

Regards,
Rocky Mater
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Bigs73 7/2/14 9:54 AM
YEP!  Skip the registration for now and see how a base stock phone will react.  If you use your account, it will start installing apps which we don't want.

I know it's a pain in the a** but we have to get you to try stuff before you can bring it back for warranty.

Let us know how that goes.
Marc
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Pravin Krishnan 7/9/14 10:15 PM
Ok..I did a wipe partition cache through the recovery mode which slightly improved it for a few days. Now it is back to being really annoying and frustrating again. May I will just wait for the new Android L update and see if that fixes it instead of doing a factory reset straight away?
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag Bigs73 7/10/14 4:37 AM
Pravin,

You are in charge of you phone and can do what you wish!  If you want to wait for Android L then it's your decision.  I'm thinking before Android L is out to our phones, it won't be before the N6 is out and only a few months after it is out we will see it rolled out to N5's.

So my take on this, not before December, I'm thinking later than that.

Marc
Re: Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag RockyMaster 7/13/14 3:08 AM
Hi Pravin,

I agree with Marc. You need to wait the release of N6 before Android L will be released. If you don't wish to reset your device we won't be able to see the possible options we can provide to you.

Regards,
Rockymaster
Nexus 5 keyboard issue- extreme lag arun100 8/7/14 10:09 PM
Even I have the same problem of to much lag in keyboard,  factory reseting too drastic,  looks like using a fire extinguisher to stub a cigarette.  

Using swift key but many a times it types a different word as I might have placed fingers on adjacent keys

Typing this mail I had to make 8 changes, PAINFUL