Categories: Other discussions : Nexus 4 :

Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain

Showing 1-43 of 43 messages
Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Steve in the UK 12/11/13 9:43 AM
Yesterday I updated from Android 4.4 direct to 4.4.2  

For the first 24 hours all seemed well.  However today I charged the battery up to 80% then left it on standby and it fell to 40% within 2 hours.  I then switched on the screen and it went from 40% to 22% in 15 minutes.  The battery charging graph in settings shows an almost vertical dip.  When I put the phone on charge it went up 1% every 15 seconds or so, then when it reached 35% the charge seems to rise at a more familiar (slower) rate.  My phone is a standard Nexus 4 - never had problems before.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Paul 12/11/13 5:14 PM
If you notice it doing this again, try visiting Settings > Battery and seeing if there's an un expected app at the top of the list that's using all the power.

Another good test is to try starting your device in safe mode (instructions and info here) and not running any apps you've installed to test if one of them is causing the problem. If you don't experience the problem while in safe mode that's a good indication that an app you've installed is the source of your issue.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Steve in the UK 12/12/13 2:04 AM
Thanks Paul, I have done as you said and put it into safe mode.  

The first thing I noticed was that the battery % jumped from 33% to 69%.  I will keep it in safe mode for a while yet.  

Just out of interest, I switch my phone off every night and as expected the % battery charge is virtually the same in the morning.  However this morning it dropped from 35% to 7% overnight and when I reconnected the charger it jumped immediately to 22% and then start its normal slow charge.  The battery graph in settings is showing some unusual spikes.  Before the update my phone had worked perfectly but I am going to remove all the third party apps and then reintroduce them one by one to see if the 4.4.2 update has caused one or more of them to malfunction.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain kjw_01 12/12/13 3:17 AM
My wife and I are the same boat as you - we've been experiencing this issue every since updating our Nexus 4 phones to 4.4. We're now on 4.4.2 and the issue persists.

Every so often the state-of-charge (SoC) plummets, even when the phone is in 'idle'. I can usually cure this by power cycling the phone. However, when the phone powers back up, the SoC can jump back up by 30%!

So, is the SoC calculation incorrect, or is this a genuine drain?
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Steve in the UK 12/12/13 3:42 AM
Interesting confirmation from KJW.  

My phone gets hot, which it never did before so I think there is a substantial current drain somewhere.  Incidentally, my phone keeps trying to lock on to my BT broadband 4 router when more than about 15 feet away and it is then that I particularly notice the battery drain.  This may be a different issue. My Laptop picks up 4 to 5 bars anywhere in the house - so the router is fine.  I agree, this started with 4.4 and the 4.4.2 does not seem to have addressed it.  

I am going to a "last resort" factory reset today under guidance form Google but I don't think this will cure it. 
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Robert Reardon 12/13/13 1:48 PM
I'm having exactly the same issue with the Nexus 5 and 4.4.2.  I noticed the phone getting hot yesterday for the first time since I owned it and then it dropped over 80% of its charge overnight despite Wi-fi, location services, blue tooth and 4g all being turned off.  Was previously only loosing about 2% of charge overnight.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Bruce Li San 12/13/13 3:05 PM
Also having issues simply charging the phone.  I also had the phone get super hot last night - so hot I decided to turn it off as I was scared it would have a melt-down on me...  Not cool.Charging the phone all day it hasn't gone up above 15% (and has been moving up and down between 14 and 16%).

Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Steve in the UK 12/13/13 3:35 PM
Since I reported this, everything has returned to normal. I suspect that I might have found a possible cause.  I live in the UK and switched to BT broadband about six weeks ago.  I opted in to share my broadband and also recently installed the BT wifi app on my phone.  I noticed that the wifi on the phone seemed to hunt for the best signal and kept dropping my router SSID for BT-Fon.  Also the range of my wifi seemed to drop around the house.

So, I removed the app and there was no improvement.  I then opted out (via my PC) from the shared broadband facility.  BT advises that it takes about 24-48 hours to switch it off.  So, for about 24 hours I still had strange problems and I could see via the wifi analyser app that the two signals were there (and of equal amplitude).  
However, 24 hours later the BT-Fon signal disappeared (BT had obviously switched it off) and at that point my wireless range improved and the Nexus 4 became stable again and the battery discharge is normal again.

I wonder whether the app broke some internal settings (battery and wifi) and I'd be interested to know if that strikes a cord with anybody.

Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain S Veronica N 12/16/13 8:51 AM
I am having the same exact issue with my nexus 4 :( since update. I did both updates. the one a few weeks ago and then again one on Friday :( I will need a new phone at this point. battery doesnt even last until noon.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Yuval Dror 12/16/13 10:26 AM
same problem here. nexus 4 overheat just like that, out of the blue, after update to 4.4.2.
is there a solution?
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Robert Reardon 12/16/13 1:02 PM
I did a factory reset of my Nexus 5 and everything is fine again. Not sure why that worked, but it did for me.

Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Johan Wiksten 12/16/13 1:13 PM
Same problem here too.It looks like instagram is a part of the problem. If I start the app and then go to another app,instagram doesn't stop draining battery.I have to force the app to stop to stop draining battery. Hope this helps.
Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Robert Reardon 12/16/13 1:25 PM
For what it's worth I don't have Instagram at all, for me it was the phone idle and phone standby 'apps' that were showing up as the major culprits.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Chung Lau 12/17/13 9:10 AM
instagram was definitely part of issue for me, the latest upgrade make my phone run hot in background, I killed it and switch to padgram.

however still my phone is draining batter faster than normal, overnight for example, in battery I see android OS 24%, wifi 15%, phone idle 13%,google play services 11%, no weird apps but my battery dropped like half compare to before.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain nend 12/17/13 12:31 PM
This has been discussed multiple times before. The N4 overheats sometimes during the update process which causes internal damage.

First sign of damage is random battery drains which can drop rapidly. Second sign is random reboots, power downs or device dies instantly when battery is indicated with a decent charge. Third sign is battery expansion where the battery pushes the phone apart.

It is downhill, strange though all the hardware problems happen after a update. Google needs to look at the update process, something is going on that is damaging devices. It doesn't matter what version, with every update someone has hardware failure afterwards.

I had problems with the 4.3 update which eventually I had to get the device replaced under warranty.

Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain S Veronica N 12/18/13 7:40 AM
thank you for this info. I have been fighting against the drain since the update and adjusting all kinds of settings and can literally sit and watch the battery drain. Also I have had several crash-resets after ending a phone call or turning off the screen. 

I showed the tech at t-mobile your post, and now I am going to get a replacement phone. I hope the new phone doesnt have the update but at least I am more informed about the device so I can avoid updates and replacing it for now. I use my phone for basic functions, and dont want to have to change again. as a photographer I really like the nexus 4 camera, so want to keep it for now :) 
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain nend 12/18/13 8:53 AM
You can update just make sure the device is cool before the update.

I usually put mine in the fridge before a update and use a widget to monitor the internal temperature. Once the device is at a low temperature, I update it. I am at 4.4.2 with absolutely no problems at all.

On 4.4 I had reboots with the camera but that was software related. 4.4.2 seems to be perfect besides a little lag waking up.

Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain MC Wong 12/18/13 11:08 PM
My nexus 4 had the same issue. Managed to resolve with below steps.
1. Setting, security, device administrators. Turn off device manager
2. Signout from google+ (all accounts)
3. Delete location history and turn off location reporting
4. Disable Hangouts and uninstall updates (I skipped this step)
5. Reboot
6. Signin to google+
7. Turn on location reporting and location history
8. Enable Hangouts
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Chris Brodie 12/20/13 10:37 AM
it was instagram for me one day, used 45% battery in 2 hours on standby and the phone felt like it was about to burst into flames, another day though it was google drive, same story, but different app.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Adrian Pacewicz 12/21/13 5:37 PM
Same here, think Instagram's app is the problem, I uninstalled it until I find a solution
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain sparkins1972 12/22/13 10:30 AM
On my phone when I click on

Settings
Battery
Click on the chart to show History Details I can see it shows the phone is AWAKEpermanently

Has anyone else seen this?

Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Andreas Hehl 12/22/13 10:35 AM
Check Google Sync options. On my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, both Bad problems with Google Keep sync since the update from Dezember 13th.
I deactivated syncing Keep, because it synced Evers few seconds and kept my phone/tablet awake.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain sparkins1972 12/22/13 10:53 AM
Thanks will give that a shot!
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Whippet79 12/23/13 2:44 PM
Yup Instagram causing the same here on Nexus 4... 50% battery usage after half a day and with 10% left by lunch. Hadn't even used the app since the day before...
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Whippet79 12/23/13 2:45 PM
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Jan Frederik Schmees 1/2/14 11:38 PM
Same problem here. Installed instagram yesterday on my Nexus 4 and the app drained my battery. It seems that the app ist keep running in the background only if I force close it istagram is not draining the battery
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Derock 1/7/14 9:46 AM
Battery dying quickly suddenly... instagram at 54% wtf
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Chappers2000 1/9/14 2:28 AM
I'm going to chime in here with my observations...

Nexus 4 running Action Launcher.

Seeing massive linear battery drain - entire charge would be diminished within 7-9 hours even if not used much.

Changed runtime from Dalvik to ART as suggested on various forums - system rebooted and optimised, then saw good battery performance for the rest of the day.

Next day, same routine, and noticed the battery drain once I had got to work. My morning routine would involve a call on a bluetooth headset, a drive of approximately 20 miles, then arrival at work - which may or may not involve connection to my office wifi network. Battery drain seemed to start as soon as bluetooth connection was established with my headset (Plantronics Legend). Incidentally, since 4.4.2 the connection to the headset is sporadic, with it frequently dropping connection after about 30-40 seconds - it never used to do this.

Tried deactivating bluetooth and wifi once I got to work, but observed that linear heavy battery drain continued. Noticed the back centre of the handset is luke-warm at all times.

This time, I am going to recharge my phone and attempt to do everything as normal, but I won't connect my bluetooth headset. My gut feeling is that my particular source of battery drain might be bluetooth related, but then I also switched to the Action Launcher from Nova Launcher about a week ago, so wondering if that might also be triggering something as well. As with all proper experiments, one must only adjust a single variable at a time...

I don't have Instagram on my phone, so that can't be the cause for me.

Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain MC Wong 1/9/14 2:34 AM
Resolution is partial. Once I leave Wi-Fi zone and connect to 3G, battery drains super fast. Maybe need to switch to 2G and monitor?
tiltshiftfocus 1/9/14 3:41 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain tiltshiftfocus 1/9/14 3:43 AM
Latest version of Instagram is using 100% CPU (25% if quad-core) be it foreground or background.
The only way to resolve this is to swipe the app away in recent after using.

Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Fr3ud 1/10/14 1:23 AM
Very weird and indescribable problems are happening.
I got my N5 yesterday and it Android 4.4.2 updated right out of the box. With 80% battery it went to 0% in 5-6 hours of HEAVY USAGE. This is absolutely normal, no complaints here.
I went to sleep and charged my mobile in the morning to 60%. It went to 20% in 2 hours of almost NONE usage.

Android System and Android OS are the top contenders in battery drain race after Screen. There's something wrong with that. I can't know which app is calling the system so often and drinking up battery juice. Is there any way to fix this or we have to wait for 4.4.3?
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Chappers2000 1/10/14 3:22 AM
As an update to my experiments, my massive linear battery drain is definitely caused by bluetooth.

After a reboot and recharge yesterday afternoon, I continued to use my phone exactly as I would normally do with the exception of turning on my bluetooth headset and making a call via it. Battery drain was normal and within expected tolerances. Bluetooth and Wifi were enabled in settings.

This morning, I decided to turn on my bluetooth headset and make a call. Once the call was finished, I hung up, and switched off my headset. I left the settings as they were. After an hour I had noticed the massive linear battery drain had started again. Turning off bluetooth did not make any difference, the drain continued in linear fashion.

Only a reboot stopped the drain.

I can therefore conclude that my particular cause of battery drain is currently caused by having an active bluetooth pairing/phone call.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Adam Stopek 1/12/14 9:07 AM
Definitely Instagram. Happened to me too on Nexus 5
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Ismael Oltra Barrasa 1/12/14 9:49 PM
I am having the same problem, and it is soooo frustrating... i uninstall all the apps i had ... thinking that maybe was a bad app causing the drain... when i check battery stats... most of my battery life goes with the screen... and i doubt that is the problem,, i was getting 3 hours of screen use, with a heavy usage of my phone... now it hardly gets to 1.5 hours... and i have to watch how much i use my phone... i hardly get through half day :(
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain MC Wong 1/12/14 10:13 PM
Have u disabled android device manager? Goto settings, security, device administrator, and deactivate device manager.
Unless there are some apps running in background. Battery drain on 3G minimized.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Chappers2000 1/13/14 1:43 AM
I take back my accusation that it was an active bluetooth connection causing my battery drain.

My phone has been fine all weekend, but this morning I journey back to work, and the drain occurred again. I didn't use bluetooth at all.

Perhaps it's related to location reporting?
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain AlexSerban28 1/14/14 2:52 AM
Hi there, 

What app is the one from the screenshot? 

Thanks !
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain tiltshiftfocus 1/14/14 8:32 AM
OS Monitor.

:)

Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Ruan Jurgens 1/14/14 11:51 AM
Exact same issue here. My N4 used to have good battery life, at 21:00 at night at least 40% left - that's with Bluetooth & wifi on. Now after update, 40% hits at lunch!  Exceptionally frustrating, charger at work, car, home. Want to roll back to jelly bean.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Alex Smith 2 1/19/14 12:12 AM
Nexus 4 users, you are not alone.
I recently updated my Motorola moto g from android 4.3 to android 4.4.2 and have experience exactly the same symptoms. My phone displayed around 60% battery and suddenly dropped to 1% power while in my hands right in front of me. I believe the drop was less than a second in length.
After charging, it seems to be fine again, but where did all the power go?
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain Deval Kashyap 2/5/14 6:24 AM
I had been facing the same massive battery drain problem with my nexus 5. The phone was on android 4.4.2 out of the box. My phone would run for approximately 10 hours on normal usage with 3g service on, wifi and bluetooth off. I also played games for about 30-40 minutes during this time. Android system was using at least about 40% battery all the time. Another strange thing was that the battery usage of android system would spike up to 80% when i unplugged the charger after fully charging the phone.
Yesterday, before unplugging my phone after it was fully charged, i switched it off while the charger was still on and then i unplugged the charger. After that android system has been using only 10% of battery while android OS is using 5%. 3g service has been on all day and iv also used wifi for about 1 hour. I also played asphalt 8 for about 30 minutes. My nexus has been running for 11 hours and its still 60% charged.
Though i still dont get what the problem is or which service was eating up so much battery, iv been using this workaround for 2 days now and its seems to do the job. Hope this helps.
Re: Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2 massive battery drain jonathanmusto 2/27/14 12:35 AM
Yes, yes, yes. So glad I saw your post! This rings a massive chord with me.  

I'm on BT Infinity, my N4 throws a massive tantrum on an evening when I get home.  The phone overheats, the battery drains, wifi drops out.  When I go into battery settings I can see it flipping out trying to connect, connecting, authenticating, connecting, authenticating.....  All since 4.4.2.

Time to unsubscribe from BT-Fon, unless you found another fix for it?
More topics »