Categories: Connecting to networks and devices : Nexus 5 :

Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability

Showing 1-129 of 129 messages
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability scotttocs 12/11/13 8:57 AM
Since my OTA 4.4.2 came in, I've been experiencing a number of issues where I have to triple and quadruple check whether I'm on-line.

While I will have full bars for mobile, and full signal for WiFi, the phone will stay "white" in the deeper settings menu, and not let apps connect through to services. I have noticed that some native google services will work during these times, but critical work applications cannot establish connectivity and are thus non-funtional.

Anyone else see anything similar? 

This may not be unique to 4.4.2, as my Nexus 7 (2012) on 4.4.0 seems to have similar issues, and more severe network delays - however on the Nexus 5 this behaviour was introduced with the 4.4.2 update.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Paul 12/11/13 5:33 PM
If your Android device isn't connecting to your wifi properly, I recommend checking to see if it can connect when you try the wifi somewhere else, such as at a friend's house or at a local library. If it connects fine in those other places, that's a good indication that your problem is specific to only the place you can't connect and not a general problem with the device's wifi.

If you have access to the wifi router where you're having trouble connecting, consult its manual and double-check that you have its security settings set up correctly. I also suggest that you follow the manufacturer's instructions for updating the wifi router's firmware (the software that the wifi station uses to run itself) to the most up-to-date version.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability André Robichaud 12/12/13 6:00 AM
I second that, with my nexus 5, 4.4.2 update. major connectivity problems.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Dwayne Fontenot 12/12/13 10:31 AM
Same here.

On T-Mobile (US), after the 4.4.2 update (I never had 4.4.1) my cellular connectivity is unstable. Sometimes it disconnects from LTE and won't reconnect until I power cycle the phone (toggling airplane mode is not enough).

It was fine on 4.4.0.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability scotttocs 12/12/13 4:33 PM
This problem is getting worse for me.

I am now seeing more instability with the cellular signal.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Mike AFO 12/12/13 6:56 PM
Yep, I am about to roll back to 4.4.  At least 3G was stable.  LTE wasnt but 3G was not taking forever to pull down data.  
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Aaron Conover 12/12/13 7:14 PM
In also seeing erratic cellular performance on all 3 KitKat releases (4.4, 4.4.1, 4.4.2).

I don't get LTE in areas where my hacked Nexus 4 did, and feel that overall data performance is worse. I'm using T-Mobile in areas with great LTE coverage.

Aaron Conover 12/12/13 7:15 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Aaron Conover 12/12/13 7:15 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Abhishek Sahore 12/12/13 8:04 PM
Connectivity issues are occurring in my N5 after 4.4.2. Hangouts sms was showing problems. I'm feeling like it's now a bit slow, not marginally and not noticeable to the other person, but if I look at it as a nexus user, I can see the difference
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability kannan s 12/15/13 8:07 AM
I also have a similar issue. I have no signal in my N5(at my home). However, if I insert the micro SIM in my sony phone, I am getting 2 bars. When I go outside my home, I get 1-2 bars in N5. I can't use my phone in my home. Please help.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability garpunkal 12/16/13 12:36 AM
I've been seeing the same issues with my Nexus 5... the radio doesn't seem to work very well... it struggles to maintain a decent connection when the signal is low... and when it switches between WiFi and Cellular it doesn't always enable the data properly. 

VERY FRUSTRATED.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability TeddyFresh 12/16/13 7:26 AM
I updated my Nexus 5 to 4.4.2 on Friday and now my data does not work. My wifi works fine but I have nothing for mobile data. Everything was working fine until this damn update. Google really dropped the ball. I checked with my carrier Tmobile and everything was fine on their end. Checked with Google and they couldn't figure it out as well. This is a terrible update GOOGLE!

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Sam1209 12/16/13 2:36 PM
same issue on 4.4.2. poor consistent connections ...
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Panagiotis Genagritis 12/16/13 5:50 PM
same issues and on my nexus 5. Cellular connection drops randomly and i have to restart the phone to reconnect to network.. enable/disable airmode doest work. I have to check all the time if i have connection. This problem especially occurs when i am getting multible downloads from google play store throught wifi.. I have  both 3G/LTE disabled. I am only using 2G.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Lakshminarayan Sakhare 12/17/13 2:19 AM
even i am facing this issue on my nexus 4.....since the update 4.4.2 i am facing lot of issues related to network access. I am also seeing that the performance of my nexus 4 has deteriorated as compared to when my device was on 4.3
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Noah Weinstein 12/22/13 9:13 PM
I am having serious problems with my LTE signal since the 4.4.2 update as well. Places that I had full bars before now I get one or two. And where I used to get one or two now I get no LTE. It is also constantly changing from LTE to 3G and even to EDGE. This was never a problem before the update as I live in an area of Downtown Chicago that has very strong T-Mobile LTE Service. 

The other problem that I am having now is that if I have my wifi on at home I get absolutely no cell service anymore. I have to turn the wifi off and then make a call to reestablish a connection to a tower. At that point I will get a bunch of notifications with all of the missed texts and a bunch of voicemails all showing up at once. This is a serious problem as it is my work phone. Before the update to 4.4.2 I never had any problems receiving texts and calls while I had the wifi turned on in my home.

Google. Please fix this. This is unacceptable.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Thomson1 12/23/13 1:51 PM
I'm having problems too. The connection to Google services will drop randomly and stay out for a period of time. I notice this when I pull down the notification shade and both the wifi and cell indicators are ORANGE. Sometimes it will reconnect and I will receive messages that have been delayed all at once (e.g. I received 62 Whatsapp messages at once because Google services, and thus push notifications, were down for about 30 mins or so). This is unacceptable and needs to be fixed ASAP.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Chrisinsocalif 12/23/13 10:29 PM
You do not need to roll back to 4.4. All you have to do is flash the radio from the 4.4 image.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Martin Millan 12/24/13 2:42 PM
how do you do that? i got my nexus 5 today with 4.4, everything worked great, then updated to 4.4.2 and then I couldn't use wifi anymore :/ help!
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Yogesh Sanghi 12/30/13 6:33 PM
Even I am facing similar problems on my Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.2 update. Is there some way to resolve this issue? 
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability saketh checka 12/31/13 12:14 AM
My nexus 5 16 GB is connected to the mobile network, yet it wont work. Unable to call or connect to internet. Worked fine for some time and then stopped at once. Please help. The SIM works on other mobiles.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Mike AFO 12/31/13 12:28 AM
Sounds like a botched APN if its completely dead and unable to connect or call out at all (and was working fine for some time).  If its intermittent, check with your carrier's support folks.   
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability r.m.price 1/2/14 8:56 PM
I am having exact same issue. Unable to receive calls or SMS. After some playing around found I can communicate via Hangouts and video calls...
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability T Alon 1/6/14 7:24 AM
Same issues. Extremely unstable signal with other phones nearby getting good signal on same network. Also getting Emergency Call Only triangle a lot. On my battery level, 37% of standby time is without signal. It's making this phone very unusable without Wi-Fi....And it's very concerning Google hasn't addressed this for over a month, despite numerous lengthy posts.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Ashley Heath 1/6/14 12:54 PM
Same here, issues since purchasing phone, extremely frustrating, great device just no use as a phone. On O2 in the UK
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Tyler Nicholas 1/7/14 12:15 PM
Just started using mine and having the SAME issues
Im a bit pissed cause it was an xmas gift and there were some shipping nightmares over the holidays of course. 
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kevin Weavers 1/9/14 11:28 PM
Same issues here. Vodafone in Edinburgh. Get stuck on edge or GPRS. Can force it to connect to 3 or 4g by doing network selection and forcing manual selection, but the get a lot of no network triangles.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Sean Brennan 2 1/10/14 11:46 AM
My nexus 5 32 GB is connected to the mobile network, yet it wont work. Unable to call or connect to internet. Worked fine for some time and then stopped at once. Please help. The SIM works on other mobiles.  Same exact problem as another guy.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kumar Chaklashiya 1/11/14 11:07 AM
I had same problem. I try many different things including factory reset, and did not work. I retun it for replacement and went back to my galaxy s2.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kumar Chaklashiya 1/11/14 11:10 AM
I don't see any google answer on this post. Is google monitoring this?
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Paul 1/13/14 2:17 PM
If you're having trouble connecting to your carrier, then the Access Point Name (aka APN) settings might be incorrectly set on your device. I recommend contacting them and double checking that the settings you see on your phone at Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Mobile networks > Access Point Names are the correct ones for their network. If those APN settings don't match what your mobile company needs them set to it can cause access problems.

If you've double-checked your APN settings and are sure that they're correct for your carrier, I suggest requesting a replacement SIM card from them. Even if your SIM card is working fine in other devices, it may be having a problem with your phone that a replacement card might clear up.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kumar Chaklashiya 1/13/14 2:31 PM
Its easy to blame others. I had try my son's Working sim card who uses also Nexus 5, in my Nexus 5 and it did not work. I also compare all the setting.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Leila Marimuthu 1/13/14 4:52 PM
The data connection continually drops out on my Nexus 5 (Android version 4.4.2). It used to work fine until a few days ago. Now, whenever the phone goes to sleep (screen turns off from inactivity), the 'H' next to the data icon in the notification bar disappears. 

I notice it happening when I am listening to streaming music and when I use my phone as a hotspot for my Nexus 7 tablet. When the phone display goes to sleep, the data connection stops working - it's still connected, but the 'H' disappears and any attempts to load a webpage or stream media shows that I am now offline.

Any advice on what settings to check/change would be appreciated.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kumar Chaklashiya 1/14/14 3:08 PM
I had same problem. I try many different things suggested by google customer service and finally factory reset but the problem remains. I return the phone and they sent me the replacement but I am not going to use it. My galaxy s2 is working fine with the same sim card with t-mobile service.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Name Taken Once 1/14/14 9:58 PM
Similar problem for me on two different Nexus 5 devices, two ROM versions (4.4.0 and 4.4.2) and two carriers in the UK (GiffGaff/O2 and Three). My Moto G now has 4.4.2 as well and is working fine as a phone, just as Nexus 4 is. I think it is a combination of hardware, firmware and perhaps specific carrier issues and it would be great if Google put more effort into the solution other than just offering a replacement device.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Fabrizio Micale 1/16/14 3:26 AM
In my life I only had Nokia and iPhone. Never a problem.
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it lived at repair place forever, proximity sensor, battery, display problems.
I thought Nexus would be better. I have received my Nexus 5 yesterday, and it keeps disconnecting from the network.
I am an Air Traffic Controller and I need to be available on call sometimes. NO MOBILE PHONES EVER had such problems, this is their main task...!!!!!!!
What the hell should I do?
If I get out of home and wifi is lost, no mobile data is received unless I reboot.
With wifi coverage, it stays 1 minute on the network and then "Restart your device to access the mobile network" like sim card added...
This is a poor poor device...!!!!!

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Martin Millan 1/16/14 5:21 AM
So what I'm gathering from all these posts here, and after having found a solution myself, I'd say that the cause is that the Nexus 5 is kind of struggling with connecting with all sorts of routers.
I think that tweaking with the advanced settings, the IP address or eventually with your router settings wifi will solve the problem for most people. So I recommend to try out everything that has been mentioned here because there is a chance that this will solve your problem. I think especially adjusting your router or maybe even resetting it, will help some people here.
I also think that nonetheless, this is a great device. Every product (Samsung, Apple etc.) has some problems and hence there's always an unlucky group with a lot frustation. While the support from Google could, undoubtedly, be a lot better, as there is definitely something wrong, I once again refer to the points I made earlier: Try everything out!
Good luck and don't give up hope!
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Adam Wildman 1/27/14 1:01 AM
I purchased my phone on the 28th December and up until now my signal hasn't been great but has at least been usable. Now I get zero signal almost all the time, when driving I occasionally jump to decent signal then lose it again straight away. I am on EE (which I know operates in the 1800MHz band), when I search for network providers I seem to have no problem picking up O2 and Vodaphone (900MHz) so it looks like my issue is only in the 1800MHz band.

Not sure if my problem is the same as everyone else as I have been on 4.4.2 ever since I purchased the phone and until now have not had this issue! Have contacted support and awaiting a reply...
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Nexus 5 network connection issues 1/27/14 4:07 PM
Hi, 
I, facing the same issue, network connection drops very often...
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Nexus 5 network connection issues 1/27/14 4:16 PM
I'm also facing the same issues, google helped me to replace the phone but no luck
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Nexus 5 network connection issues 1/27/14 4:16 PM
same here, i'm also facing the same issues
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Fabrizio Micale 1/27/14 11:56 PM
I had my phone replaced, and have no problem now
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Ian Armour 2/1/14 8:18 PM
I posted my fix on here, I also made a thread on here but this will work for most networks I believe, spread the word.

http://ianmarmour.com/2014/02/02/google-nexus-5-fixing-modemcellular-issues-on-34g-networks/
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Murali .k 2/2/14 10:41 PM
My Issues is like below:

On my Nexus5, connected to network(internet) using wifi.
Leave wifi connection ON overnight.
Disconnect wifi connection in the morning.
Now try to connect to network(internet) using 2G/3G service.
Observe that "No network Connection" message appears on trying to open any of the web pages or web apps.

NOTE: Able to connect to 2G/3G mobile data/network on rebooting my phone.
But Problem is I have to reboot my phone every morning in-order to make it work on my mobile data.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability T Alon 2/3/14 4:09 PM
Ian, I appreciate the hard work you put into finding a fix. However, having a phone that doesn't actually function as a phone without voiding the warranty and jail breaking it....is pretty pathetic. After spending over 400$ on a barely functioning cell phone, it would be really nice for Google to put out a timely fix. Or at least give a more concrete response/acknowledgment on the situation - the best we've gotten is apparently just a "best answer" flag on someone's question in another thread. I would really like to know if I should pursue a refund (If it's even possible now considering how long we've been waiting for a fix) or if this will be addressed soon. Clearly RMA isn't helping many with this issue. Here's to hoping!
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Ian Armour 2/3/14 4:28 PM
T Alon,

Thanks for your appreciation. I do agree the entire situation is pretty pathetic and I wish this wasn't the case. Google should at very least have given some word on the problem to these forms or publicly available. I believe pursing a refund would be the best option if you're not willing to either go with my fixes or wait for Google to push out an update to the radio, I can't imagine it being more then a few weeks. Or the third route which is what I'm pursuing use the fixes until Google releases an update officially. The RMA is going to do nothing for this issue and I feel sorry for those that have pursued this route. I'm awaiting Google's advice with open ears and if anyone hears anything I would love an update on here.

Ian.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Ian Armour 2/5/14 9:33 PM
I should let you know that I'm on o2 as well and have similar issues. The issue really only occurs on HSDPA+ and I believe has to do with Fast Dormancy I published the results of my fix below this post.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Ian Armour 2/5/14 9:33 PM
Tim Peat 2/6/14 2:02 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Ryan Coxey 2/9/14 4:58 PM
I've got the same problem with my brand new N5. It wont connect to my home network, all the other networks fine, but not at my house.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability tomgon 2/11/14 8:49 PM
I'm also in the same situation with my Nexus 5 Android version 4.4.2.  After this update network connectivity is unstable, I've noticed LTE signal strength reduced dramatically, WiFi signal strength also suffered and GPS no-longer locks to a signal or the lock-in may occur after a minute or two but unstable. It is a great device if you don't require network connectivity ; )
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability MERCIER Jonathan 2/14/14 8:03 AM
Dear,

I think i have the same issue on my nexus 4.4.2   . II experiencing from some month that at a time my phone is anymore connected to my phone operator and i can do only "emergency call" . But if i do a reboot , everything come back !!!!
I was boring to do this each time and today i am looking if i was alone.... But not ... I see lot of people with same issue .... Where is the patch !!!!
people wich does a report are only a part of iceberg!!!

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Carlo Mayo 2/14/14 10:46 PM
It's really dissaponting...i had my new nexus 5 and same problem with the other guys... Cannot make a call or text but ive got a mobile internet...ive try to do factory reset, remove the sim card, change the sim card still the same..cannot make a call\ recieving a call and txt messages...so frustrating...
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Carlo Mayo 2/14/14 10:46 PM
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Mark Wolstenholme 2/17/14 11:26 AM
Also having this problem with a Nexus 5 after updating to Android 4.4.2 on Orange/EE (UK). No signal at all at home (whilst connected to Wi-Fi). Still no signal at home when I disconnect wifi. Patchy signal around local area. Perfect signal at work all day (no Wi-Fi). Very disappointed - been like this for a week. Also tested the sim card in my work phone (Windows HTC) and had no problems. Put my work sim (also EE) into Nexus 5 and problem reappeared. So this isn't a network problem. I can only assume this issue has been caused by the software update. Love Android phones and was really excited for Nexus 5, but if this isn't acknowledged or fixed soon, I will be sending back for a refund and switching to something else.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability pedro 2/17/14 2:38 PM
Nexus 5 purchased at google play Dec 11th 2013; mobile network not available: no bars signals most of the time, SIM card replaced, reset factory settings made, problem remains the same. Google customer service told me the problem is not the phone, T mobile fault, T mobile told me is google fault. I'm waiting a RAM answer at google. $ 400 trough away?

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jonathan Kyer 2/17/14 7:20 PM
Just purchased a nexus 5 16gb and I'm using it on ATT. Network goes out all the time. I have to reboot every time to get it back. I purchased a new Sim card which helped but not enough. I'm on 4.4.2. If I knew this phone had so many problems I'd reconsidered this purchase.
I've read many websites on this issue. Still very concerning.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Phillip Dudas 2/20/14 12:38 PM
I just got my Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2. I have never had an android phone before. I am liking the interface. However I am too having troubles with network instability. The network will drop out unexpectedly where my iPhone would have been fine. As well it will show that I have a connection be it on LTE or HSPA and it will be unusable. No throughput. It will also drop to lower speeds such as H or E and never to back up to LTE. Sometimes all of these will be fixed by rebooting. Disabling and re-enabling the Data connection in settings does not help.

Battery life is terrible too.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jonathan Kyer 2/20/14 1:16 PM
I've just about given up. I got my account provisioned. Works great sometimes. Then out of nowhere it's gone. I know it has to be software. The signal does not like switching between lte and h+, etc. When it can't switch it freaks out and shuts off completely. I've tried many apns to no avail. My phone only works outside as inside it can't get any signal. Google and LG really need to step up and fix this problem. It's a damn shame that many users are stuck with an expensive paperweight. My first Android phone in years and it's been a horrible experience.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Tyler Francetich 2/21/14 9:03 PM
couldn't connect to wifi anywhere. just turned phone to airplane mode then off, and it connected! thanks!

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Geoff Goodhew 2/24/14 2:31 AM
I'm having exactly the problem that others have reported.

When the phone is connected to WiFi (at home), it works perfectly. When I leave home, I have a good connection (full bars, if that means anything)on the mobile network, but the phone has no data connection.

I've tried switching WiFi off entirely and flicking into Airplane mode to reset the radios, neither of which work. I've not tried resetting mobile connection manually. What does work is switching the phone off and on again. This thread confirms that other people are experiencing the same issue.

I'm not going to mess around with workarounds - why should I?

This is a fundamental flaw and it needs to be fixed. If it isn't, then the phone's going back and I'm done with Android (that sounds overly dramatic, but this is core functionality that does not work, what other product would I accept that failure in?)
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Chris Birdman 2/24/14 7:23 PM
from Montreal:

i'm disappointed with google too. my cellular data connections are all over the place where i work. at one point today, i got onto an LTE connection, 34 Megabits/s!!! holy-shit-fast! most of the rest of the day H connection showing (3-4 bars) and either nothing or 0.05 Mbits/s (using speedtest.net app).
so i call Virgin mobile and tech support adds a new 

and added: 

Download speed jumped to 7-8Mbits/s, just fine - for an hour of continuous surfing. this was the longest usable period of cell-data surfing i have had yet with this phone! then, after phone went to sleep, tried re-connecting, again, nothing - more precisely .03Mbits/s and get this: 3-4Mbits/s upload! what? I think the guy Ian Armour (above) is onto something with his "fast dormancy" theory. but,as with many others, i'm not ready to do surgery on my brand new phone. i will return it first.

full disclosure: the warehouse i work in generally sucks for cell reception, but other cell users don't have nearly the same troubles as i do. i smell a return.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Caleb Ross 27 2/25/14 6:30 AM
Same problem here. I've had the phone for maybe 2 weeks. Worked OK when I received it. Now I get no days over the mobile network at all. No LTE, no 3G, nothing.

Cell service all but disappears as soon as I walk inside anywhere, I have to be meat a window to get any bars at all, and even then it's usually only 2 max. Outside I will be lucky to get 3.

Utterly useless piece of equipment. After this many reports of problems Google should realize it's not the carriers, it's the device.

My nexus 7 broke, this Nexus 5 doesn't work in its primary function as a phone.

If Google don't fix this I will never buy a Google product again. I've wasted too much money on paperweights already.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Patrick Bo. 2/27/14 3:11 AM
I'm very disapointed too. My provider is E-Plus (germany) and the n5 isn't able to keep the data connection, for example while i'm driving.
I can See how the connection gets worse (Fewer bars). When I stop the car for a break, the n5 has better network after a few minutes. I guess it isnt als to switch Form the different cells.

It also happens that it shows a full data connection but if you want to go to the Internet it doesnt work.
If Google won't fix it, I'll never buy a nexus again. Very disapointing.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Patrick Bo. 2/27/14 3:11 AM
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Emanuele Sabellico 3/2/14 4:54 AM
Same problems in Italy, I always get no signal in my house, while a 50 dollars feature phone I always reachable. That's a shame! It seems that it all happened with the 4.4.2 upgrade, unfortunately I haven't tried any other versions than this.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability 4EverYoung 3/5/14 10:39 AM
Hi Scotttocs,
I am experiencing the same issue since my OTA I did yesterday morning. Since then, whenever I leave a wifi connection, my cell data doesn't connect right away. I have to initiate a call for the cell data to connect. I usually call my voicemail and once I hear the call connects, I hang up and my cell data works because I get emails and updates or can use google maps.

I was thinking it was my SIM since ISIS has been installed, I need to get an Advanced SIM to use that.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability 4EverYoung 3/5/14 1:45 PM
Well after complaining. I've been trying to recreate the issue and looks like my S4 4.4.2 working fine. When I turn off wifi, 4G LTE shows instantly.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Miguel Paolino 3/6/14 10:05 AM
I have the same problem Kitkat 4.4.2 on Nexus 5, connectivity over 3G is close to useless. No notifications on WhatsApp, GMail or whatever app you choose to install. Gmail only receives new emails when you explicitly reload your inbox. 
Also the phone keeps loosing the signal, and keeps switching from 2G to 3G (my plan is 3G only). Nexus 4 worked like a charm, two Nexus 5 on the same network with different chips have the same problem. 
When you connect the phone using Wifi all notifications are received together.
A Nexus 4 with the same chips works with no problem whatsoever
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability HarryMHo 3/6/14 12:30 PM
Michigan, US
KitKat 4.4.2 Nexus 5
Sprint

Same issues. Drops out alot, won't recieve or send text. Won't make phonecalls or can't connect to internet. Sometimes says it has LTE, but actually doesn't have any connection. Sometimes I try to go into airplane and turn off, soft resets, I have done hard resets, I have changed settings and back. Compared to someone with same phone sitting in the same spot and he gets service which I don't. Rather annoying issue.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Andrew Zo 3/7/14 9:53 AM
Had the same issue.
No drop calls but data cutting out constantly.

Tried clearing cache, restart.
Didn't work.

Eventually Factory reset did the trick.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Steven Frechette 3/8/14 2:25 PM
Chiming in.  I have the same problem as many here.  On Tmo, with Nexus 5.  Connectivity just drop off and won't come back.  I get the empty triangle.  This is since I went to 4.4.2.

I've tried everything, factory reset, you name it.  Once it goes to the empty triangle ( nosignal) I can be next to a tower and it won't reconnect.  I have to power off my phone and restart.  I'm praying for a fix.  I Rma'd this phone in hopes it just a lemon.  Getting my new one tomorrow.  

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Tom JP 3/9/14 1:29 PM
Same issue here in US on AT&T network with stock Nexus 5 and KitKat 4.4.2. Actually ordered a new SIM from my carrier thinking that my SIM card might have gone bad. Swapped the SIM card with the new one and still have the same issue. Deleted and resetup my APN settings I don't know how many times. Regardless of what I try, my Nexus 5 just stops syncing randomly. Sometimes all my Gmail comes flooding in if I wake up the screen and enter my pattern unlock. If I swipe down from the top with 2 fingers I can often see my signal bars are red, then they turn white - having just turned on the screen. It's like the data just stops working in the background when the screen sleeps. I initially thought it was just isolated to cellular data but the exact same thing has happened when going entire days on WiFi. I regret buying this phone every single day. Had it just over 60 days and never experienced this problem the first 30 days. If Google doesn't fix this soon, I'm done with Android. How pathetic is it that Google can't make it's own services operate correctly on their own platform and developer-edition device? I'm furious!
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability vfergz 3/10/14 4:50 AM
Same problem here on nexus 5 kitkat 4.4.2 Uk Three network
Phone shows full bars and H sign but cannot browse internet (says im not connected) or use data at all in any apps.
Quick settings sometimes shows signal in orange colour.
Have to disable Mobile data and re-enable to fix it (frustrating) or reboot phone (even more frustrating)

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Rajanbhagat07 3/10/14 9:40 PM
Same problem with me I have to put the Sim out and put it to another phone and then again to my nexus 5 still the network tower does not shows the signal and I am not able to call or do any thing by connecting to the network and also my phone heats up as I switch it on it has not  been even a month I bought the phone and I have to face a lot of problem I am from India.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability vfergz 3/12/14 5:05 AM
just had the same issue again today and could not connect to any website or anything but this time i got an error message pop-up saying net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT took a screengrab and you can clearly see full bars and H sign.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Saturn1217 3/12/14 2:29 PM
I have been having this issue with my Nexus 5 (4.4.2) on T-mobile. 

When I am on LTE sometimes my connection will just stop working. And there is NO visual indication in software that anything is amiss. I'll have full white bars. If I pull down the quick settings panel I still have full white bars for mobile data (aka not orange indicating an issue). But connecting to chrome, the playstore, getting gmail none of it works. If I toggle airplane mode this fixes the issue.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability vfergz 3/12/14 2:40 PM
So we are all agreed that is not a carrier issue as it is happening to lots of different ones. When will google pull their finger out and give us some kind of response
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability vfergz 3/12/14 2:50 PM
Also please post here as it is an open issue that hopefully google will respond to if enough people shout about it

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Mark Wolstenholme 3/12/14 2:55 PM
Well after over 4 weeks of patchy connectivity and no response or  acknowledgement I will be requesting a refund for my nexus 5 and suggest you do the same. I have bought a phone which does not connect to the internet and is unable to make or receive calls/texts - which is not fit for purpose. Very disappointed. I'll be getting the new HTC One instead.
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability sburke25 3/12/14 3:37 PM
13 years on AT&T in the same general area and I've never once had a connection issue. NEVER. I've had this Nexus 5 for one day and it randomly drops the network and says "Emergency calls only." I have to monkey with the settings just to make a phone call. Google says to contact AT&T, yet, for the last seven years my iPhone worked flawlessly. I live underneath a damn cell tower for crying out loud. Everyone around me has a solid LTE connection, my friend's Samsung S4 has better speeds on mobile than he does on WiFi. And this nexus five can't make a damn phone call. I'm very disappointed so far.
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability sburke25 3/12/14 3:45 PM
If you had to open the hood of your brand new car, and monkey with the battery every time you wanted to drive, and if the car dealer told you that it was because of the roads that you drive on...
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jonathan Kyer 3/14/14 11:43 AM
I received my device back from LG and the issue is still present. The phone says I have LTE but I have no connection. When I try to make a phone call, the device doesn't switch from LTE to HSPA (that I know is a big issue right there since VoLTE doesn't exist in the market yet) RMA'd devices don't seem to be fixing the issue. It's so confusing in all honesty. My note 3 has no issues and it's practically the same exact hardware. This is something Google and LG need to figure out to help us customers
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability AVarts 3/15/14 2:48 PM
If you guys have not fixed this problem yet, this is how  I fixed mine. I'm with sprint, so when I called them they said that my ICCID/UCCID on my phone/sim does not match the one that they have on their end. Once that was corrected it worked perfectly. SO basically there's a chance that your sim number is not matching the one on their end. Hope this will help!
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Teresa Michele 3/15/14 7:57 PM
I'm having same problem with my nexus 5 it will loose connection LTE disappears and can't access internet.frustrating but I do hope to solve this problem its great cell other than that and from reading these post its been helpful atleast now I have some ideas to try thnx
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jaz Glen 3/18/14 2:13 PM
Uk on the three network. Totally stock.
In last few weeks, constant drops of connection when turning wifi off.
The H is there but although full signal no data will load.
Very annoying.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Mike Mascho 3/19/14 6:52 AM
I'm also having issues where my signal drops to nothing and i go to emergency calls only.  This is happening often and it is quite annoying.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Fish777 3/19/14 7:52 AM
i'm on three UK and have also used EE and i find i can't make a call most of the time unless i turn data on and off again or reboot the phone
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Marius Luca 3/19/14 12:52 PM
Factory data reset...and all the problems gone...
And after pay attention to all apps that you want to install.
I have 3 days with problems...i tried all the posibilities...and this works...
Even with 4.4.2...but i didn't installed new apps until now...
I have N5 for a week...
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jaz Glen 3/19/14 2:05 PM
Factory reset made no difference to mine. Still problems between wifi/ data switching.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Justin Peters M 3/21/14 2:07 AM
I have the same problem with my nexus 5. Every few minutes the connectivity completely fails. I have to wait for a while before it reconnects. Very annoying when I'm out for work.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kaizer Soze 3/21/14 4:39 AM
I have similar problems. Sometimes I got switched to EDGE in areas where I am 100% sure there is full bars 3G (on my other device using the same mobile operator and SIM card). I also have missed calls from time to time.
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Chuck St 3/21/14 11:24 PM
Just so you guys know, Google NEVER responded to this kind of issue UNLESS it affects hundreds of thousand of people AND it's in every make Android news blog.

So I recommend you contact these blogs site to report the problem. To name a few:

Android Central
Gizmodo
Android Police

Btw, I am also having a problem with network connectivity. Didn't matter if the phone is on Wi-Fi or cellular. Full bar, yet no connection.

The problem is compounded when bluetooth is ON and it has been fur a while.

Not to troll, but I also carry iPhone (given by my company) and it NEVER has this problem.

So if you ABSOLUTELY need data, switch to iPhone.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Guragam Singh 3/23/14 9:56 AM
Google search bar not working with Wi-Fi but doing so with cellular data on Google nexus 5
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Mark Joseph Cayetano 3/23/14 4:29 PM
I have found a similar device candidate.

The Galaxy Note 3 has the new QFE1100 by Qualcomm and so does the Nexus 5 a quick search reveals that the Note 3 has similar issues on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Thats the 4 National Big carriers people..

See here for Note 3: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/808665

Both the Nexus 5 and Note 3 Have similar radios and the same QFE1100 Envelope tracking chip by Qualcomm.

Maybe if we don't see a software update fixing this we may see a massive recall for Note 3's and Nexus 5's

And both of these phones have the same issue of network instability and dropping off etc.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability SousaSE 3/25/14 8:01 AM
I have the same problem.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability 9100_FS 3/26/14 1:07 PM
Having the same problem here.
Every couple of minutes my data connection is not available.

Please fix asap .
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Christian M Imkeller 3/27/14 10:10 AM
Nexus 5 4.4.2 with at&t

I have no WiFi problems at the moment (knock on wood) but I will also experience incidents of random dropping and do not have any data capabilities at all even though I have full data bars. I feel as though even though we're all complaining about this issue we should at least do something about it and keep publicizing this issue. Make sure Google knows that these issues exist and they need to address them very soon.

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability vfergz 3/27/14 10:16 AM
As i have already posted...this is just a discussion group and is not necessarily being viewed by the correct people.

Google have opened this as an issue here:-

So please add your comments / experiences there.

They only have it as priority = small but the more people report it as an issue then the more notice they will take!!

Thanks
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Emanuele Sabellico 3/28/14 9:24 AM
I've copied the post I made here on google code, I invite you all to do the same, they have to fix this before 4.4.3
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kaizer Soze 3/28/14 9:27 AM
Same here. Irregular drops and missed calls I never learn about. And I am not even using LTE.
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Joel Kershaw 3/31/14 5:15 PM
I keep dropping LTE then signal bar turns to orange. airplane mode sometimes works but resetting the phone works only for a bit. Real annoying. Might have to root this phone so I can actually get to the issues.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability sjcav 4/3/14 5:25 PM
Same here.  Out of the box Nexus 5 running 4.4.2 and the WiFi cuts out very randomly.  Connected fine earlier in the day but could not Authenticate at a friends house later on.  Back home and now can't even use many apps without the signal cutting off and being alerted there is no connection.  Becoming very frustrating.
Apps are constantly reloading and refreshing at random while in use as well.  Seriously considering returning the product.  Nothing but problems and this is day 1
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kaushik Iyer 4/3/14 9:02 PM
How do we solve it then? I am facing this problem since yesterday afternoon.

-Kaushik
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Mark Joseph Cayetano 4/3/14 9:30 PM
Google is working on 4.4.3 update which fixes it and it appears the baseband is different which implys Qualcomm has released a new radio driver for the cellular radio fixing the issue.. Its now just a waiting game.

Google android 4.4.3 and you will see list of fixes

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kaizer Soze 4/3/14 11:24 PM
But keep in mind it is still a "leaked" and supposed change long. Nothing official and confirmed by Goog.
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Saifullani Hasef 4/4/14 3:58 AM
Just few day ago, I buy nexus 5, same problem appears which several times my mobile connection drop. My WiFi connection still work, but my mobile connection dead, it cannot call, cannot SMS and cannot browse using mobile connection.

Terrible time when my nexus 5 always dead of mobile connection. It only solve with  restart the phone. On off my airplane mode cannot make mobile connection on.

My nexus 5 is 4.4.2 version.

Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jonathan Kyer 4/4/14 11:15 AM
I'm still putting my money on software issues. However I've also tested with other people using their sim cards and that worked fine. Mine didn't. So I'm starting to investigate into carrier information on their accounts. The strange thing is the people who used it were not on a share everything plan like I am.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability mmxfile 4/4/14 12:40 PM
The problems is a big problem in the zones where signal of GSM is not very high, the phone go in a dead gsm mode...only if you force it to take a operator the phone take the line but after few seconds the line is gone.
GOOLE you must solve the problem or i send back my phone...i hope that the people send back her phone until the problem are not solved!!! GOOGLE we need that you say a word about this evident problem of NEXUS 5.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kaizer Soze 4/4/14 12:44 PM
mmxfile, you are somewhat right. i also mentioned, when the 3G singal is a bit low, but not absent (compared to other devices with the same carrier and same place) I got switched to 2G. it is very  frustrating to be switched to EDGE in an area I am 100% positive  the 3G is perfectly fine.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jonathan Kyer 4/4/14 12:52 PM
All I can manifest from this is we are in googles hands. I've done tests on all firmwares (I even unlocked the bootloader, restored it back to 4.4/4.4.2) 4.4 is the better firmware in my testing but it eventually fails itself. I have no issues with data,just issues with the radio not dropping down appropriately when calls come in or need to go out.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability mmxfile 4/4/14 1:02 PM
in the italian forum www.androidiani.com a user with the same problem said that he have patched the problem with this software: intelli3g. I try next week, meantime i hope GOOGLE has courage to admit this problem and solve it like intelli3g do, i hope.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kaizer Soze 4/4/14 1:06 PM
Thanks. I hope Google do their job instead of leaving that to self-made programmers amongst us, trying to solve their annoying bugs, that the company does not care about. As it seems all they care about is one-time sales, but they must understand that none of us will ever buy a Nexus again, if they keep making tons of bugged hardware and software.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Tushar Prasad 4/7/14 11:43 PM
Did your problem got resolved ?
If yes
Then plz lemme know how u fixed it...

Tushar

Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Kaizer Soze 4/7/14 11:46 PM
We can't resolve it without being Google developers. :)
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Harry Mitchell 4/8/14 2:37 AM
I have had this problem for weeks now. Anyone know how to get a refund without having to RMA your phone 3 times first?
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Nathan Butler 4/9/14 1:20 PM
I just bought a Nexus 5 from google play store. I signed up with Brightspot and cannot use the data connection on my phone either. The phone works and I can send text messages but I cannot use apps or connect to web through data connection. This is very disappointing. I'm thinking that I should have just gone with the iphone 5.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability nilay sharma 4/10/14 9:38 AM
If the network signal becomes weak .. And zero bars .. I cannot of get connected to the cellular network.
Tried.. Air plane mode .. Manual selection of network providers ..
Only after a boot does the phone get connected to the network
My phone is less than a month old and I had to reboot it 3 times .. Hope Google fixes it
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Shayne MacGregor 4/13/14 5:49 PM
I'm having the exact same issue with my Nexus 5 32gb white. No service can't call or text anyone.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Muhammad Raychan 4/13/14 7:09 PM
I use nexus 5 16gb, sometimes Sim card suddenly missing (can't detected) I don't know why and I should reboot to make Sim card detected again, is that Sim card problem or what? Please, someone help me...
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Aromal 4/14/14 12:55 AM
I'm also having issues with my nexus5 4.4.2. I'm using 2G as my preferred network type. Sometimes the phone suddenly shows no signal bars, It will start working after a restart though. Toggling between airplane mode helps sometimes, but not always. Restart always works. Once it happened to me that the phone was showing full signal bars, but actually it was not connected to the network. I noticed the issue about 2-3 hours later after reaching home from my office. After this incident I frequently check my phone signal by dialling some number. This is a critical issue that needs to be addressed asap.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Pankaj Grover 4/15/14 4:05 AM
Same problem here. I think it started with 4.4.2 or got worse with it. Whenever I have wifi connection working , it is fine but when I leave the wifi area, the data connection doesn't come back (I have 3G plan in India). The only solution seems to be doing a restart and that is very annoying. Surprisingly, it even shows H in small letter near the signal Bars suggesting I am connected but I am actually not. Hopefully, we have a solution to this problem soon ! 
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Rohit Shinde 4/15/14 8:16 AM
Hello my nexus 5 is restarting when I switch on my network data for using the net..... Please suggest me some solution for this. Google this is really unacceptable as I just bought this phone. I would like to know about the warranty for this phone also
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jonathan Kyer 4/15/14 6:12 PM
The sad part is I would still use the phone if I were able to tell it to stay in 3G only. When I try to manually switch it, it loses all connectivity. My phone has to be in LTE but the sad thing is I then can't make or receive calls. Hopefully 4.4.3 which is rumored to be arriving shortly will address this. If not I have a nexus for sale.
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Vicente Varela 4/15/14 7:44 PM
I have the same problem. I may have a temporary solution, don't know if it'll stay a solution but it's working right now. I've downloaded a wifimanager from the play store, it seems to be doing a good job of keeping the Wi-Fi and mobile networks working at the same time.
Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Jonathan Kyer 4/15/14 8:24 PM
What's odd is I'm field testing the phone now and its working perfectly fine where I'm located. However when I return back towards my home it becomes useless with phone calls. I get data only.  
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Thiago Kang 4/16/14 10:31 AM
I have been dealing with the same situation here. I have a Nexus 5, 4.4.2 version, eagerly waiting for 4.4.3.
I thought it only happened while I was connected to wi-fi for a long time, but my signal strength just got orange from nothing. I wasn't connected to any wi-fi connection, in order to avoid such signal loss, but, in the end, it didn't worked.

This issue is really driving me crazy. I mean, before all the goods N5 offers, it's primary use is to receive and make calls. In addition to that, I lose too data connection, ending up without calls and 3G/LTE.
Turning on "Airplane Mode" for some time and then turning it off, fix the problem temporarily. I have seen people rebooting all the way, but I don't believe it's necessary to fix the problem.
Re: Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2, network instability Joshyancha Abhay 4/24/14 5:00 AM
I too am facing the same issue after 4.4.2 upgrade. Wifi is working fine but data is not.
Can anybody tell me how to roll back to previous version.
More topics »