Categories: Device security : Nexus 4 :

The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Showing 1-56 of 56 messages
The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 12/10/13 12:25 AM
The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2. I can not copy files from the PC to the device (Nexus 4 and Nexus 7).

CRASH BUG CRASH BUG CRASH BUG CRASH BUG CRASH BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANDROID=BUG

FIX IT ASAP, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE WAKE UP!

ANDROID KITKAT HAS 10000 BUGS
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul 12/10/13 4:27 PM
Try starting your device in safe mode (instructions and info here) and not running any apps you've installed to test if one of them is causing the problem. If you don't experience the problem while in safe mode that's a good indication that an app you've installed is the source of your issue.

If you continue to experience this even in safe mode, try resetting your device by visiting Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset and then checking to see if the problem persists.

If resetting your device doesn't clear up the issue, I recommend contacting the place you purchased the device from and asking about warranty or repair service. If you purchased it directly from Google you can contact the Google Play Support Team here.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 12/11/13 12:30 AM
First of all, thank you for your reply Paul.

I tried in safe mode and I also made 30 restores to factory data, but the problem persists.

No need to contact support because i am 100% sure that is a bug of the new version of Android. It had never happened until to Android 4.3 and it happens always with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2. Moreover it also happens to other users and also happens just restored, with no applications installed.

Please solve this bug as soon as possible, it is a serious bug. I also sent a report on the crash several times. I want to use my wonderful Nexus with no problems, please.

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! John Kristek 12/11/13 4:13 AM
I have the same problem on my Nexus devices after Android Kitkat update... How can I fix?
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! david.king 12/11/13 4:15 AM
John

Have you tried the advice from Paul above?

Cheers
David
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 12/12/13 4:59 AM
News from Google Paul? :(

Also on my Nexus 7 2012...

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone who is frustrated from Google 12/12/13 5:12 AM
I never had the crash problems with media server but... Since I updated my device(nexus5) to 4.4.2 , I have had troubles copying the data from computer to Phone via MTP. I have tried paul's advice, still the same. Did the reset and same. It's kinda frustrating... Like If I wanna copy the somexyz.mp3/mp4/avi file to nexus5>internet memory>videos and paste here, the data copying window comes and get's stuck there. I have to disconnect my device and try again. But the same happens. But if I try to paste it in internal memory without any folders, then no problems happens... what the hell is happening? it was no problem on 4.4 ... can't say for 4.4.1 as I never got that update. It was straight from 4.4 to 4.4.2
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! woodpa67 12/12/13 7:38 AM
I too have the same issue on my Nexus 7. Before the 4.4.2 update (4.4.1) I could transfer files most times from PC to my Nexus, but now I either get driver errors or a time out trying to access the internal storage from windows explorer to copy files over. 
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! big six 12/12/13 11:00 AM
All Paul does is go through and tell people to either:

A: reboot in safe mode and try to repro
B: wipe the device

To date from what I can see that is his only response to any issue. ie: Nexus 7 crash/reboot issue which reached 42 pages long.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amanda Bell 12/12/13 11:23 AM
I'm having the same problem. My PC won't recognized it AT ALL. I CANNOT factory restore UNTIL I get my files off the dang thing so don't even go there.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lawrence Lau 12/12/13 1:51 PM
I experienced the same problem, but did not have the time to investigate further. 1. Copying more than a hundred jpg files from XP SP2 to a folder within stock Nexus 5 (4.4) MHC mode will stop at random during the transfer, with XP reporting the device has disconnected (if I'm not mistaken). I tried this for a few times (deleting copied files and start over, selecting remaining files and continue) and it still stops copying somewhere (progress bar stuck at random jpg file). Copying is also much slower compared to my Nexus 4 running Jellybean.

I suspected that KitKat is somehow trying to scan the new files to gallery while the copying. So i renamed all jpg files to .DAT on the XP, and tried copying again to the same folder in the Nexus 5. The copy went smoothly and completed much faster! I then renamed the .DAT files back to .jpg within the Nexus 5, and everything is OK.

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! AshPali 12/13/13 1:27 PM
@Amanda: Are you sure it is not an issue with your android driver on the PC?
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! WillPs 12/15/13 2:48 PM
I had the same issue from a like new tablet with few apps that I've used on other devices with no issue.  The only thing I did was transfer some data, and got the message "UIDs on the system are inconsistent, you need to wipe your data partition or your device will be unstable" within days.  I'm surprised such a major issue can come out of nowhere, when prior versions of android have no issues at all being a mass storage device on the other 6 or so android versions/devices I've used all the way back to 1.6.  For now I'm going to try the same process, and am expecting the same result..
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! jo2000 12/15/13 6:36 PM
nexus 7 2012 in infinite crash loop after 4.4 ota update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 12/16/13 8:29 AM
News from Google, Paul?
Savan Akbari 12/17/13 11:51 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! screamy145 12/19/13 8:31 AM
I have the same problem on my nexus 5 Android 4.4.2
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Savan Akbari 12/19/13 8:28 PM
well try my method as suggested in above steps or try installing universal ADB driver .

do this step this will solve the problem for sure on windows PC ..
1) enable developer option 
2) check usb debugging 
3) Also check that Settings--> storage --> click on three vertical dots at top  and  check the first option  
4) now pin in your nexus to pc ...this will get you golden .

you may also have a look at this  ------>     UNIVERSAL ADB -MASS STORAGE

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Christian Wiesner 12/20/13 3:38 AM
Hey guys!
I'm having the same issue. What has done the job for me:
As soon as you conncect the device to the PC, it shows up in the Windows explorer, but it's empty. To "fix" this go to your Nexus 4. If you go to the pull-down menu it shows "Connected as a media device". Touch for other USB options. Then it takes you to the "USB computer connection" settings. Here Media device (MTP) should be activated. It was activated on mine. So I disabled and enabled it again and then it was also showing up in the Windows explorer and I could access all the files.
Guess that's a initialization issue and needs to be fixed by Google.
Cheers!
The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fabio Zeta 12/21/13 1:46 AM
Me too.... Fix it god damn!!!
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! chiragh 12/21/13 2:39 PM
I have the same problem on my Nexus 4... Please fix it ASAP ...!!!!
did anyone else get a fix on this issue???? 
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul Taker 12/22/13 2:25 AM
Same problem here...Gooooooogle?
The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! matteo orsi 12/22/13 10:42 AM
Stesso problema
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Massimo Capuano 12/22/13 11:13 AM
i fixed it deleting all data from app Service Exchange
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! woodpa67 12/22/13 2:04 PM
Update:

After deleting and re-installing the USB debug rivers and rebooting my pc and nexus 7 I can copy files again. I wish I could nail down what the exact fix was... (I always have the debug options enabled)

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 12/22/13 3:16 PM
Paul?
Sirio Girolami 12/22/13 10:54 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Savan Akbari 12/22/13 11:37 PM
 For time being, You can  dwld app called AIRDROID from play store .this app allows to wirelessly sync your android with PC ....

PS : I also waiting for the fix !!!

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Patachou 12/26/13 9:30 PM
The same problems with my new Nexus 7 (2013) after update 4.4.2... My pc can't recognize the tablet...Google... are you there????
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! alex tripepi 12/27/13 4:47 AM
bug bug bug bug bug bug bug sistemateee tutti sti bug
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Daniel DUC 1/2/14 6:30 AM
Same Issue here!! :-P Nexus 5 - 4.4.2

Please, fix asap!

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mucki 1/2/14 10:13 AM

I have the same problem with Nexus 5 and 7 (2013), both running 4.4.2.
Problem description: the device is connected to a Win7 or Win8 computer via USB as MTP. A directory with multiple pictures is copied to the device to /storage/emulated/0/Pictures. I always get the error message that process.android.media finished after copy process has started and the copy process failed as result.

I'm not an Android developer expert but these are my assumptions:
Cause of the issue: from the below system log snippet, it is clear that the process MtpServer crashed due to a segmentation fault (SIGSEGV at 0xdeadbaad) caused by a wrong pointer handling.

Fix for this issue: It's an implementation issue for Google (invalid address or address of corrupt block passed to dlfree)

I hope that Google will fix it asap!!!! 

Otherwise if this simple USB use case is not working, I will return my device.....that's ridiculous...

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ivan Sferrazza 1/3/14 5:35 PM
Fix Fast, it is big bug.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeffrey Mercer 1/4/14 2:03 PM
I am also having the same issue, I've been trying to copy about 2 GB of pictures over, and just now got it to work by putting a .nomedia file into the folder I was copying, as per:http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/nexus/u0IHSMH37jA/P3goIaQsixgJ. I am eagerly awaiting a fix, as I have been trying for the past two days to justify to my friends that me purchasing a tablet was a better idea than buying more PC components, and this will just add more fuel to their argument. :/
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 1/8/14 3:13 AM
Paul? :(
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! David Clarke 1690 1/10/14 1:20 AM
I have also tried starting my n7 in safe mode, but still the freezing exists. What are Google going to do about this?
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Costin Dan 1/12/14 1:13 PM
Nexus 7, 2012 model, factory restored several times, no extra apps installed. Crashes when transfering files via USB in MTP mode regardless of normal or safe mode. Happens on Windows XP notebook, Windows 8.1 desktop and Mac Book Pro w Mavericks. Before 4.4 worked flawlessly. Google, got tired of the experimental nature of Nexus, you guys are technicaly supperior in every aspect yet you fail again and again in developing a reliable device to be used in day to day life. You'll hopefuly fix this one but who knows what'll be next. PS, 'thanx' once more for not updating my Galaxy Nexus to 4.4, at least I have something that works until you fix this mess.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Staut Stefanita 1/15/14 10:18 AM
Same problem. Windows 7 64 bit, nexus 5 32 Gb, android version 4.4.2. Copy multiple pictures on Nexus 5 freezes after a while.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Costin Dan 1/15/14 11:52 AM
Tried the .nomedia workaround on Nexus 7 with the MacBook Pro. Worked flawlessly, copy speed normal, no freezes, no error messages. Deleted .nomedia file, cleared data and cache from Gallery and Media Storage in Settings -> Apps -> All. Did not worked in the first place but after a reboot everything was showing in Gallery. Did the same thing with other folders and it worked. But that's hardly a fix. Google, do something, this is embarrassing in the 21st century, file copy is more than 40 years old and components of your OS crash while performing it. I know you're persuading us to move everything in the (your) cloud just like you "convinced" us to have a Google+ profile but I'm getting more and more turned away from your not so well integrated products featuring "minor" glitches and "accidental" omissions. BTW, what's the story with that WiFi Direct implementation on the Nexus? Still working on it? 
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mucki 1/16/14 11:38 AM
Maybe some guys of you are interested in this link https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/providers/MediaProvider/
The file transfer does not work because of a crashing application which is part of MediaProvider.
I saw that Marco Nelissen <marcone(at)google(dot)com> is a contributor and he can help us maybe.

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zarcis Zarcis 1/18/14 1:10 PM
After the update to 4.4.2 when I try to transfer file from PC to Nexus, the telephone automatically crashs and reboots itself (via usb and via wifi).
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! s pechena 1/18/14 8:36 PM
Hi,

I have same problem i think, i can transfert some files from my pc to my nexus7 asus and some times i have an error message "... android.process.media has stopped".

Can someone help me or it's depend to Google ?
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ruthann M 1/21/14 12:33 AM
I've tried everything suggested here and to no resolve. And what photos I am able to transfer using Windows Media Player they're all corrupt and broken.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 2/2/14 4:02 AM
News about the bugfix?
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brent Williams 2/2/14 2:45 PM
Same issue here.  Brand new Nexus 7 (just got it 2 days ago).  Running 4.4.2.

Connect to computer to put some of my files on it, and the media service crashes almost immediately every other time.  Have to unplug and re-plug it, then try to copy files again.  Eventually it crashes again and have to un-plug and re-plug (then get an immediate crash), then un-plug and re-plug and keep copying until I get the next crash....

Rinse and repeat 50+ times with all the crashes until I can get all my files onto the tablet.  

Ridiculousness!!!   If you don't allow for external microSD card, you better make sure you can get files on and off the internal storage easily without crashing left and right.

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Costin Dan 2/3/14 12:44 AM
Hi Brent, Hi everybody,

- On the Nexus 7 internal storage create the folder into which you want to copy files
- On your PC (or even on the Nexus if you have a proper file manager) create a blank file called .nomedia The leading dot is important. You could do that by right click on your desktop, select New, select New Text Document, make it initialy with the default name then rename the file to .nomedia
- Copy the .nomedia file into the folder created in the first step
- Copy files and folders you wish to have on the device into the same folder
- Delete .nomedia file
- Check if multimedia files appear in the browser or media gallery you plan to use
- If not reboot the device and search again
- If still no media go to Settings -> Apps -> Media Storage and select Clear Data and Clear Cache. If necessary you can Force Stop it and wait for automatic restart or reboot the device.

I know that sucks but so far it's the only solution that works for me. Had many Nexus devices in the last period but also had enough of that experimental nature of the lineup. Google, can you please do something about that? Can you consider that a fraction of us still prefer to copy on the device via usb? Clouds are not for everyone, I personally prefer clear blue skies.

Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lyes M. 2/5/14 7:31 PM
Same Issue, everytime I try to copy a video it says that device has stopped working or has been disconnected, (Moto X 4.4.2), I had absolutly no problem one android 4.2.2 if I can't find a solution I'm just gonna switch back. it's really sad to release an os so buggy, it seems like if they rushed the 4.4 release so it came out at the same time as iOS 7... 
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kevin abc 2/11/14 6:06 PM
I tried the ".nomedia" trick but Windows wouldn't let me create a file with no filename.  

Here's what I did that DID work:
 -Using File Manager app on phone, create a file in the folder you are copying files to called: ".nomedia" (no file name, only extension)
 -Copy files to phone
 -Delete .nomedia file
 -System Settings -> Apps -> All: Cleared data and cache from Gallery and Media Storage
 -Reboot phone
The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simone Licciardello 2/19/14 12:38 PM
Cobtinui crash con questo aggiornamento android 4.4.2 e ub casini non si oossono trasferire file da oc a cellulare oerche il orocesso android media si interrompe in continuazione..

RISOLVETEEEEEEE

The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zarcis Zarcis 2/19/14 9:59 PM
I have solved reinstalling the last cyanogenmod version. Now the file transfer works fine.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! CarstenLorenzen 2/24/14 12:13 AM
This is how i got it to work, thanks! Google, do something about this, please :-)

Is setup alot of android phones for my colleagues, it's annoying to use this workaround everytime i need to transfer their files, especially on pictures it crashes without the .nomedia file.
The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! JESTIN SEBASTIAN 3/5/14 6:54 AM
I faced same problem in my new moto g. I also updated to kitkat . when I copy some files to my device from PC , the device will unresponsive to any keypress . so I restarted but problem persists. Then I performed hard reset . then the device is ok. But all my files lost. It happened two times. Google please fix this bug immediately. I need to copy files to my device.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marco Grasso 3/7/14 8:09 AM
Google????
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! chiragh 3/7/14 2:14 PM
Hello Guys,after a lot of research and googling, I found a viable solution.
My phone is a LG Nexus 4 model.

It is a Common Windows 7 issue that has nothing to do with Android (this time)

Plug your phone in.
Find it in the device manager (look for the yellow triangle)
Right click, and choose "Update Driver Software ..."
Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
Scroll down and pick "portable devices", click Next
Choose Standard MTP Device > MTP USB Device
When it warns you that things may go tits up, click yes anyway.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)
CHEERS...:)
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! saurabh tibrewal 3/10/14 11:41 PM
Same problem here on My Nexu5...even the .nomedia workaround is not working. Google please fix it ASAP.
Re: The Media Storage service crashes with Android 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chandra Moulee 3/13/14 2:43 AM
Me too I've experienced the some errors.
I think there's some bug in android 4.4..4.4.1...4.4.2.
Tell me how to do media scan
More topics »