Categories: Other discussions : Nexus 5 :

Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5

Showing 1-273 of 273 messages
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Matthieu N 12/13/13 12:19 PM
Hello!

Yesterday I received the 4.4.2 update for my Nexus 5 (directly from 4.4) and today I saw that my battery decreased much faster! (At least twice as fast.)
In the battery usage menu, I can see that it is the "Android OS" which used between half and three quarters of my battery, without even using my phone.
(At the moment I can read 53% for "Android Platform" and 13% for the screen, this never happened before.)
The use I made ​​of it is strictly identical to previous days, it remained in wi-fi at home, with brief uses, so I think that this "Android OS" battery drain is due to the update.

What can I do ?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ted Turner83 12/13/13 1:16 PM
I also have noticed that AndroidOS will have a huge "Keep Awake(Settings->Battery->AndroidOS)" amount while on Wi-Fi at home, but if I turn Wi-Fi off, it stops staying active. (Using Nexus 5 Android 4.4.1/4.4.2;  I did not have 4.4 long enough to test).

I changed my beacon interval on my router from 100 to 50 and DTIM from 1 to 20.  This fixed it last night at least, though it also ended up rebooting the router so I will need to evaluate more.  This was not a problem on my Nexus 4 using Android 4.3-4.4 or my Galaxy Nexus using Android 4.0-4.3
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Matthieu N 12/13/13 2:28 PM
I think that I just can't do this with my router...

However I found a thread on xda with other people complaining about the same issue :

Is there any way to contact a Google tech support or something ? Those "Help sites" keep bringing me here when I look for a tech support.
I hope they are aware of this issue.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 bobpower 12/14/13 4:15 AM

Same here.

This has been happening to me for about 3 weeks now.  I'm in Australia and not sure if OS updates are pushed to all regions simultaneously.

I bought my Nexus 5 on the day it was released.  For the first 2-3 weeks battery life was normal, then *I think* around the time the first update was pushed to my phone, my battery stared dying very quickly overnight when my phone was idle (I charge during the day, not night).

A fully charged battery lasts less than 8 hours now, when the phone is sitting (unused) on my bedside table.

* Bluetooth is OFF
* NFC is OFF
Location reporting and location history are OFF
* Phone is connected to home WiFi network when I sleep
* I have tried factory resetting the phone twice (via Settings) - this had no effect
* Screen turns off after 1 minute of inactivity
* Brightness set to auto (should not matter as screen is off)
* Notification pulse light set to OFF
* I have tried using an app killer (AVG) to shut off unnecessary processes  - again no effect

I know another person that is having the exact same issue.  Battery life is reasonable during the day, but the phone just does not 'sleep' at night like it should.

I've been dealing with Google support but getting nowhere, they are now sending me a replacement phone despite CLEAR evidence that this is an OS issue.  If someone from Google is reading this I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say.

See attachments for a typical example of what happens when I lay my phone down fully charged and go to bed.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ted Turner83 12/14/13 5:17 AM
I entered Safe Mode and did not see the issue after ~2 hours.  Just normal drain.  I'll test it again overnight tonight for longer to verify.  Though I also noticed Google+ Photo Sync finally stopped showing the White Circle with Arrows. If that means anything.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 neiander 12/14/13 7:22 AM
My battery has gotten worse since the update too.  Says that the Android OS is taking at 16% AND Android System is at 7%.  Why are there two?  I have had the phone off the charger for nearly 3 hours and down 25% with only about 45 minutes of screen time.  
Completly stock New nexus 5.    4.4.2. has created some new battery issues with me.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Man44 12/14/13 12:44 PM
Same problem here. I understand it doesn't help to just reply saying 'same problem' without offering a solution, but I hope Google takes note of all these complaints and begins a level of being proactive to solve this otherwise very big issue. It is literally a make or break deal for me - if I cannot get a phone to work properly for which I paid $400+ for then I need money money back in order to get a Galaxy or HTC with bigger battery.

Google: Please fix battery issue that's caused from latest system update last week...
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ahmad Naif 12/14/13 6:39 PM
Same here. Plus my device is getting hotter even though i was just browsing the web.. It is not like this before the update.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ahmad Naif 12/14/13 6:39 PM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Anthony Hurd 12/15/13 7:13 AM
I called Google and told them my battery was dying everynight.  They refused under any circumstance to issue a refund.  When I told them I could not use my phone as an alarm because it died everynight their only suggestion was to find a way to plug it in.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 bobpower 12/15/13 2:31 PM
I have fixed my issue.

By changing two settings, I went from 100% battery depletion overnight (when phone was idle) to only 4% last night.

I changed:

1. Settings > WiFi> Advanced > Keep WiFi on during sleep: change from 'Always' to 'Only when plugged in'

2. Settings > Location > Mode: change from 'High accuracy' to 'Battery saving'

To be honest I suspect the first setting is the culprit.  When I woke up this morning and saw only 4% battery had been lost, I then changed Setting 1 back to 'Always', then went and had a shower, got dressed and ate, which took about 40 minutes.  When I checked my phone after that, it had already dropped from 96% to 88%, in only 40 minutes when I had not touched the phone except to change that setting back. 

Read that again.  It used double the amount of battery in 40 minutes, versus what it used in 8 hours with 'Only when plugged in' set.

My theory is this:  when we first got our phones, out of the box that setting was set to 'Only when plugged in'.  Then either updates 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 changed this setting to 'Always'.  I have no way of verifying this, but I know during the first two weeks I had my phone (before 4.4.1 was released), the battery behaved exactly like it did last night after changing the setting.

There is another WiFi setting in the Advanced menu 'Scanning always available', I think un-ticking that will further improve battery life during the day.

YOU'RE WELCOME BITCHES.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ahmad Naif 12/15/13 4:07 PM
Thanks bobpower... I'll try and change the settings first... And just have a day with my device...
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 preahchan 12/15/13 6:57 PM
Hi bobpower, I'm having the same issue after updating to 4.4.2. My phone becomes very hot when left idle over night and drain the battery like crazy, when checked it's the "android system" that drained most of the battery. I'll try your suggestion and see if it fixed this issue. Thanks.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 alamarco 12/15/13 7:07 PM
Unfortunately bobpower's solution is only a workaround.

It's a workaround that will only work for some. As someone who is without data for 8+ hrs at work I rely on WiFi so I can't turn WiFi off during sleep. My battery was fine before the update, so something is amiss.

Hoping Google can take a look into it, but seeing as no Google rep has responded, not very hopeful.

Anyways, hopefully the solution posted works for people, but hoping Google takes a further look as some people need a solution.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Javier V 12/15/13 9:50 PM
I'm also having this issue. I'm glad I'm not the only one though and hope that Google can fix this very promptly with an OTA update. My battery is depleting super fast and I'm not even using it that much! Also, it is taking forever to charge the phone. I leave it charging the whole night and it only makes it to 70%. Please fix this Google!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 wanderingtim 12/16/13 12:50 AM
same here.
updated to 4.4.2 earlier last week
drained 10% from home to work just doing normal browsing + listening to music during 20 minutes!!!!
that's just not possible!!!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 preahchan 12/16/13 1:19 AM
Dear All,

I've tried bobpower solution and it doesnt seem to help and the my phone still drain battery like crazy and it's always that "android system" is the culprit.

I hope someone could come up with fix.

Regards,
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ecMan 12/16/13 1:21 AM
Android OS doesn't necessarily mean the OS is actually draining the battery. 3rd party apps can be calling certain APIs that delegate certain tasks to the OS, like perhaps location services, such that the battery app actually reports Android OS rather than the app that was calling the app.

I have WiFi set to always, and 4.4.2 doesn't give me any significant drain at all. It actually drains less than 4.4 did. I did have a drain issue reporting Android OS a while back, but when I uninstalled a Vegas slot machine game, the drain on Android OS disappeared.

And fwiw, on my Nexus 7 2013 the Google experience launcher sucked batteries, and it too was listed as Android OS. When I switched back to the stock launcher my drain returned to normal.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 simonbaptist 12/16/13 5:25 AM
+1 on this issue.  A bit embarrassing as just the day before the update I was lording it over the iOS users in the office.

Anyway, trying bobpower's workaround ahead of Google fixing this.

FWIW - I am seeing 

Android System: 18%
Screen 14%
Android OS 9%
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 John Whittle79 12/16/13 7:50 AM
Just want to say that I am experiencing the same issue. Battery draining much faster on 4.4.2

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Adrian Bordoy 12/16/13 9:21 AM
Same for me people,
losing 30% overnight since 4.4.2 with android OS being at the top of the battery stats.
on 4.4 it would drop 4% overnight..

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Michael Schlechtinger 12/17/13 12:24 AM
I am experiencing the same issue since I got my Nexus 5. I never had this problem on another device before. However I found a workaround. If I restart my device after charging the battery it's working for at least 2 days. If I do not restart the device I do not get through one day. It's really annoying!
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Mo Jiwa 12/17/13 3:11 AM
Exactly the same. I had the same power settings before 4.4.2 as I do after the update and now it's shockingly bad.  Even with screen off and wifi off.
Just adding to the complaint list.Google, please fix ASAP. This is the reason I got rid of my iPhone.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Stéphane Cochard 12/17/13 4:43 AM
Same here with my Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.2.
Yesterday night, my Nexus 5 has charged in the living room, so at midnight its battery was 100% charged. Then I came to bed, Nexus 5 unplugged to use it as an alarm clock. This morning, at 7:30, the battery was at 24%. 76% consumed while sleeping?! Please Google, fix it!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Chung Lau 12/17/13 9:15 AM

Same here over night my android OS and wifi consumes the most battery.
Some suggest to turn on option to "keep wifi on during sleep" to only when plugged in, see if that helps for you.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 hedwigdaowl 12/17/13 11:15 AM
Same here. Android OS is the top consumer with the keep awake time being almost 75% of the time since charge. Insane. On 4.4.2 , moto x. Even if its some app delegating work to the OS, why can't we get a little more info as to what part of the OS task is killing the battery? Duh.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Paul 12/17/13 2:12 PM
Android OS is one of those background processes that manages a lot of things in the Android system, so it sounds like something is keeping it awake and running overnight for some of you. As Ted Turner83 mentioned earlier in this discussion, try starting your device in safe mode (instructions and info here) and not running any apps you've installed to test if one of them is causing calling on the system overnight and draining battery. If you don't experience the problem while in safe mode that's a good indication that an app you've installed is the source of your issue.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Mo Jiwa 12/17/13 3:37 PM
I'd have to disagree with that last one... Unless of course the most recent update has caused an app to behave differently.
Literally the only change on my phone between the battery being awesome to the battery bring terrible, is 4.4.2.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Eyal M. 12/18/13 12:56 AM
I know that this is a Nexus 5 thread, buy i have updated my SG4 GE to 4.4.2 2 days ago, and i'm facing the same battery drain issue.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Dmitry A 12/18/13 2:29 AM
My nexus 5 in safe mode drain battery when wifi is on (wifi point is D'link). When i try run in safe mode at work, battery is ok. Wifi at work isn't D'link.  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Anirudh Sampath 12/18/13 3:47 AM
My phone is even worse...it lasts only 3 hrs and 45 minutes on ful charge with only pre-installed apps, and nothing on.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Константин Селеронов 12/18/13 12:33 PM
The same problem on my Nexus 5 (4.4.2). The battery charge barely lasts for 10 hours with WiFi on, average devise usage and almost no phone calls. 3h. 30m. of the screen usage. Something is deffinitely wrong
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Mo Jiwa 12/18/13 12:36 PM
Okay... experiencing new really weird behaviour... changed NOTHING and battery is back to normal again?!?! 
Will keep monitoring to see if it's consistent. 
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 hedwigdaowl 12/18/13 12:44 PM
I am experiencing a better battery life today. I did make the two settings (location and wifi sleep as suggested) last afternoon and it did not help until last night. It drained at the same rate. This morning I did wake up to a bunch of google apps being updated and my battery has lasted well so far. Too early to say, but could be the google apps update? 
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Hamid Bhurgari 12/19/13 1:39 AM
If it helps, HTC One on 4.4.2 has the same issue. Battery lasting half the time it used to. Google OS is taking up 80% of the battery usage. I have all the usual suspects turned off too. 
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 CK0000 12/20/13 4:52 AM
Same here. The update process for the Nexus 5 has been a train wreck. Disappointing.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Dmitry A 12/20/13 9:17 AM
Last 2h 30min ok. Wifi,geolocation, sync are on! Battery lost 1%. All what i'm change is setting wifi access point. I change DTIM interval from 255 to 20.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Y.Gong 12/20/13 7:10 PM
Me too! Fully charged phone can only standby 9 hours without any use!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ted Turner83 12/20/13 7:28 PM
Factory Reset, did not use ART and stayed with Dalvik. 2-3 days with no unusual battery drain. Feels like ART messed something up and even reverting to Dalvik wasn't enough, had to do a reset.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 jplehmann 12/21/13 9:55 AM
I've had my phone for a week or two and because of all the problems I've read about I'm sticking with 4.4 even though it has downloaded 4.4.2.  I'm holding out for 4.4.3 which I hope Google is sending soon!!  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Peter Szczerba 12/23/13 3:57 PM
Same for me, Android OS and Android system are consuming over 50% of my battery, with a complete discharge happening in 7 hours of average use. I am using a nexus 5 with android 4.4.2, all my battery issues started after the update. My device is showing 4 hours of awake time in 7 hrs of use, and my WiFi is showing 8 percent of battery use even though its turned off.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Elias_Grodin 12/24/13 8:01 PM
Same for me as well. My Android system and OS are draining a lot of battery after the 4.2.2 update. This is extremely disappointing to say the least. The battery dropped more than 30% over night with my phone on the bed side with even the data and Wi-Fi off. To mage things worse, kit kat no longer works with wake lock detector so I have no idea what caused the problem.Google please fix asap!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Raphaël Cazenave 12/26/13 4:13 AM
I had the same issue, i disabled "Google Play Services", cleared the cache of all Google Related Apps, Uninstalled All Updates of Google Related Apps, and it seems to solve the issue on my N4. A Factory Reset works too.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Michael Cassidy 12/26/13 7:37 AM
Same here.  My phone will often deplete its battery up to 75% (from a full charge) while sitting idle overnight.   -But other times it will only use ~6%.  Very frustrating.  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 judtoff 12/28/13 5:17 AM
I am seeing this problem too. Setting the wifi to stay on only when plugged in is not a solution. It's still draining 20% per night. For some reason the wifi is staying on, even when it should be off.
Something is preventing the phone from going into deep sleep.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Murray Rush 12/28/13 10:23 AM
Just had N5 go from 100% to 0 in 6 hours overnight due to the Android OS With 5 hours of CPU time. Something's not right here.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Hasaan Zia 12/29/13 11:12 AM
Same Extreme level of battery drain in my nexus 7 after the update 4.4.2 !!!! And hating it !!!!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 12/29/13 5:24 PM
I have the exact same issue with my nexus 7 since I installed 4.4.2. When I turn wi-fi off the tablet loose 3-4% overnight. When it's on I need to recharge the next morning, it was never like that with Jelly Bean. Come on Google, do something it make no sense.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Naveen Menon 12/30/13 9:46 AM
My nexus 5 has been perfectly good.. i even got a screen-on time of 6 hours and 11 minutes.. and my friend got a bit more than 7 hours after the update.. and battery easily lasts a day.. i swear i am not lying.. will post screenshots once my dad gets my phone back from wherever he has gone.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 12/30/13 11:20 AM
I must add that I'm also connected with a dlink Wi-fi at home. I don't know if it is relevant or not but it was mentioned in previous posts. But I never was an issue with 4.3. Moreover I tried to change MTU values but it did not help.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Dmitry A 12/30/13 11:23 AM
Try to change DTIM to 20 -it's help to me.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 12/30/13 11:29 AM
Oh, sorry I wrote MTU but I meant DTIM. I tried changing this value from default 1 to 20 without any improvement. I will try it again just to be sure.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Dmitry A 12/30/13 11:32 AM
Try to reboot all: access point and nexus. 
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 elleestfolle 12/30/13 1:46 PM
Same issue
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 12/31/13 6:11 AM
I changed DTIM for 20 and rebooted router and nexus.  I saw a small improvement, its was at 21% this morning after a full charge in the evening. Yesterday it was 13%, but this is still not acceptable. Waiting for 4.4.3!!!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 AlfMaster 1/3/14 4:29 PM
Exactly the same here. f I restart my NX5 after charging the battery it's working for at least 2 days with about 1.5 hrs of screen time. If I do not restart the device I do not get through one day with the same screen time.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Anton Rothwell 1/6/14 6:54 AM
Also seeing this on Nexus 10 with 4.4.2 update.  E-Mail client consumes all battery.  I have 1 hotmail account and two gmail accounts setup.  Hotmail is set to sync e-mail only but with no auto sync options ie: frequency is set to never.  Gmail accounts update every 5 mins. Can stop it consuming battery by force stopping the e-mail app after use.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Hamid Bhurgari 1/6/14 7:20 AM
This is the correct fix. Worked for me. Battery is back to lasting almost 39 hours.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Dmitry An 1/6/14 7:25 AM
Which fix are help for you?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Hamid Bhurgari 1/6/14 7:26 AM
I was referring to fix shared by Ted_Turner83 which worked for me.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 mkw87 1/8/14 2:11 PM
I'm seeing reduced battery life with my Nexus 10 since the update. It's not extreme like overnight, but I used  to charge my tablet every other or every third day and now I'm having to charge it daily. The Android OS is draining >50% of the battery and reporting 15 out of 22 hours as keep awake even though the device doesn't show significant keep awake in the battery % vs time chart. Not sure what's going on but I'm almost positive it's related to Google Apps.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 KennyG944 1/9/14 7:31 AM
That new update is probably sucking up every photo and video you have saved on your phone regardless of your settings. You can bet your ass that Google is in bed with those bastards over at the NSA. Every update they push out puts more of your private life in their hands.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 KennyG944 1/9/14 7:31 AM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 mkw87 1/9/14 7:40 AM
Ironically, I had never enabled Google+ Photo Backup, but I enabled it yesterday to try it out and hit sync and it said it was syncing 2270/2300.........so it had already synced 2270 of my photos even though I've never enabled it.  

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 KennyG944 1/9/14 7:49 AM
My point exactly! They're backing up your photos and videos, even if you have the feature turned OFF! They can hide the fact that they're backing up your photos and videos without your permission. But they can't hide the battery drain it takes to do so!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 KennyG944 1/9/14 7:49 AM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gooner1986 1/9/14 2:10 PM
Been reading this thread as I am (was?) interested in buying a Nexus 5.  However, the reports of poor battery life are making me hold fire on pressing the 'Buy' button.  I think this is an OS problem as the upgrade to 4.4 has buggered the 'idle' battery life on my Nexus 7. In addition, but not entirely sure if it's relevant, since the update 3rd party battery monitor apps do not work on my Nexus 7 when they did before.  I have to manually refresh them.  Something is not right  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Brianexus5 1/10/14 4:52 AM
Been having this problem lately as well. Currently drains like 80% while idle for 8 hrs. Checked hours phone on and it was 190 hours. Restarting and reporting how it goes!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Fayzan Ali 1/11/14 8:16 PM
Hi mani have the same issue i just used my nexus 5 for alarm and it died from 70% to zero and not even waking me up.... Any ideas how to fix ir..
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Javier V 1/11/14 8:45 PM
Possible fix to the battery problem. They said there is battery improvements?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/09/google-play-services-4-1-begins-rollout-with-turn-based-multiplayer-new-google-drive-api-preview-and-more/

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Martine Deregnie 1/16/14 3:43 AM
Dissable all to make nothing of nothing  (Wifi,Bluetooth,Syncro,notification,widget,localisation, no apps)  100%to 49% battery in standby this one night compare to 100% to 99% with Xperia SP 4G at same place and same time.

Put 4G  to   3G  parameters this morning , only 99% to 95 % with fews mails and 30 minutes roadway to working place !!!!!!

BIG KITKAT BUG
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 mkw87 1/16/14 10:59 AM
I cleared data/cache for G+ and Google Services, restarted the device, and things have improved dramatically.  I'm now losing <10% over night on standby.  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gooner1986 1/16/14 12:29 PM
I wonder whether 4G is the issue.  If the handset is having to work harder to find/hold a 4G signal when coverage is still not 100% then it will suck power from the battery.  FWIW, on my commute to work in NW London there is a chunk of the train journey where the 3G signal leaves a lot to be desired.   Similarly, if wi-fi is always on and apps are doing/able to do their thang.  

So, is it KK that is the issue or 4G/LTE in those areas with weak and/or incomplete coverage?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Murray Rush 1/16/14 12:39 PM
I've only had 100% battery drain overnight once and I had my phone set to 3G only. This is just my experience with the random battery drain though.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gooner1986 1/16/14 1:22 PM
Interesting

Were you at home or somewhere else that you know whether there would usually be a good (or at least predictable) 3G signal from your network provider?   If you were at a friend's place or something then maybe 3G or 4G would be irrelevant.  My signal is good at my home but total pants (British for not very good) at my mother-in-law's in Kent.  

I appreciate there is an underlying 4.4 OS bug that is thirsty on power but there could be any number of other issues that will make the experience different from one person/phone to another and then again from day to another.   ??????
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Martine Deregnie 1/16/14 11:02 PM
Solve default deep sleep in stand by  and battery rain with 4G LTE & syncro on , wifi & loca off :   battery 100% to 99% in one night

Remove all Widgets

Make 2 manuals setting   :one  APN web (default,supl) & one APN mms (mms) with IPV4/IPV6 & LTE

Reset to 0 cache of appli G+ & service google play

OFF /ON phone
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MC Wong 1/17/14 7:13 AM
The new google play services 4.1.32 recently rolled out should have resolved the battery drain. It will be updated automatically very soon if not received yet.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ted Turner83 1/17/14 7:23 AM
Prior to Google Play Services 4.1.32, I would randomly find a high Android OS wakelock on Wi-Fi.  Since 4.1.32, I have never seen this issue and also experienced a deep sleep over Wi-Fi increase from ~93% to ~98%.  5% improvement in deep sleep overnight, while on Wi-Fi.

Hopefully others will see this improvement with the new Google Play Services update.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ramsey Alnawajha 1/20/14 10:15 AM
are they really serious to want us to plug the phone ever night. they don't know, doing that will lower the life of the battery, and then if you told them my battery is dead they will answer, you shouldn't kept it plugged in.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ecMan 1/20/14 10:26 AM
That's actually not true with a Lithium Ion battery. It's actually the exact opposite. Deep cycling the battery will lower it's life of the cells. 

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 shiverma 1/22/14 5:32 PM
I did not try what you have suggested. I do have an observation. I generally turn leave 3G(LTE is turned off as I am in India)/WIFI/GPS off (I have turned off all background scanning that Google services need). I still did not understand as to why my battery would last not for  more than 1 day and 9 hours before going down 20 pc. I also have a Nexus 7. I saw that it lasts 5 days without losing much charge. Of course, it's a different device, but just to see if the phone could behave the same way, I put it in Airplane mode and noticed that battery drain had stopped happening. Is the phone being too aggressive in looking for a GSM network or is it something that I am reading wrong here? I used a Galaxy S2 before this, and using it the same way used to get me a good 2+ days of battery life.

Thanks.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Hai Vu 1/24/14 8:31 AM
I have the same problem of draining battery when use 4.4.2, but when I switch to Dalvik (instead of ART), the battery is much more ok now.

SO PLEASE SWITCH TO DALVIK WHEN BATTERY IS DRANING.

AND GOOGLE PLEASE FIX IT ASAP.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 shiverma 1/24/14 10:22 AM
I was actually running Dalvik till now. I have changed it to ART, I'll keep an eye on things to see if things change for me.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Memo Ak 1/24/14 11:42 AM
I got my Nexus 5 last Friday and the 3 days after using it, battery was really good, Android 4.4.2. Actually I charged my phone Sunday night (Disconnected it Monday 8:00 am) and it was able to make it to Tuesday night (10p.m.) Wifi on, normal twitter, whatsapp, facebook, youtube, etc use. I activated Google Now and that's when I noticed battery being drained pretty quickly. I deactivated Google Now yesterday and everything looks good now, I'm assuming that some widgets, google now, and some other apps are requesting location really often, and that is tracked as Android OS usage. Also now I've been running with my battery for 5:40hrs and screen is 25% and Android OS 7%, which makes more sense to me.
Anyways, I don't like this workaround of deactivating some apps or features to get more battery time.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Amedeo Russo 1/25/14 4:11 AM
Hi everybody.

I got my Nexus 5 last Wednesday, and this is the environment I'm running on, since then:

----------------------------------------

- Android 4.4.2 (already on the phone when I got it)

- Dalvik compiler on (never tried ART)

- Google Play Services 4.1.32

- Location Settings: WiFi only

- Wifi scanning options: "always scan" disabled

- 20 apps installed

- No widgets apart from Keep

-----------------------------------------

It was all fine since this morning. Last night I put my phone in airplane mode with 70% battery life left, and woke up to find the phone had switched itself off during the night, due to a MASSIVE battery drain by Google Search (checked it up on the battery details).

How is this possible, given that I have everything updated to the very last version?

Apparently, last Google Play Services didn't fix the battery drain issues.

Google Support, please give feedback on this matter and work to fix it ASAP.

Thanks
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Schnarff 1/25/14 4:35 PM
97% drain via Android os overnight whilst plugged in. Woke up to a dead phone.  I've had this phone 2 months with no problems beforehand and no new apps. My phone is a posh paperweight at the moment.  
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 1/26/14 6:01 PM
Ok, I have a Nexus 7 and I tried all the suggestions that were here. I tried with a full reset of the device and it was better but not perfect.

I finally found that it might be the wifi security protocol that is causing trouble with android 4.4.2. At home my wifi is secured with WPA2 and I have an extreme battery drain cause by "Android OS". This issue disappear when I change to WEP. This is not something I want to do because it weaken my network security. But I hope this can help Google fix this issue.

Can somebody else try this and tell us if it helped.
Thanks

Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MC Wong 1/26/14 8:55 PM
Could it be the router needs to be rebooted? Maybe it's not transmitting or transmitting intermittently causing the device battery drain.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 1/27/14 4:38 AM
I don't think so. I also have a galaxy s4 (android 4.3) and I don't have any issues with it. Moreover, the router was rebooted a few time when I was changing my router settings and security protocols.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Carlos Mendoza 1/27/14 5:01 AM
I just started experiencing the same issue, my battery lasts for 4 or 5 hours tops. In the battery usage it says mm-Qcamera-daemon is the responsible of 37% batt usage.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 _jason_24 1/27/14 11:24 AM
Try turning wifi optimization off. I did a bunch of things like change my dtim as well, the drain is not as bad now.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Wilson Ko 1/28/14 7:20 PM
There seems to be a bug in the radio driver of the nexus 5 not powering down the LTE radio when there is no data transmission. This problem occurs randomly. I had this occurred to my Nexus 5 several times. When this occurs, nothing is reported to be consuming the battery in the battery usage log. Yet, the battery goes down by a few percentage every few minutes.

Some workarounds that I found are:

1) reboot the phone
2) switch from LTE to 3G, then back to LTE. Somehow this resets the radio driver.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 _Matt Allen 1/30/14 11:05 AM
I have a Nexus 7 (Wifi only) that has the same problem.  My device was in standby overnight and drained from 100% to 1% in 16 hours, without ever being touched. 67% Android OS, 13% Android System.  I used to be able to leave it on standby (idle, w/e it's called when it's doing nothing) for days before it would drain completely like that. To my knowledge, the only change that could have done it was the most recent android update.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Schnarff 1/30/14 11:52 AM
In the interests of fairness, I should now say that the problem seems to have rmiraculously resolved itself.  I'm still on 4.4.2.  Seems like a temporary, albeit bizarre, blip.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 tiltshiftfocus 1/31/14 4:04 AM
My understanding of these random Keep Awake or battery drain when idle is Google love to play around with their 'services', drawing unnecessary data from our phones.

And for battery drain in airplane mode, my guess is that there are 'unfinished' processes from the services that causes it.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Fred T. 2/1/14 12:59 PM
I've tried Art and Dalvik and no difference. It is disappointing that Google can put out out a device with a smaller battery than this device should have. That would be fine if Android could manage it better. Every release they say is better and better but users still have the same nagging issues. The Android OS using 40-70% battery is ridiculous. They need to address this in the next update. I'd pay another $100 for this device for a few more tweaks if that's what it took, however we are even seeing more expensive non Nexus devices with similar issues. My Nexus 7 is phenomenal with its battery life. Battery saver apps don't seem to work. Putting WiFi off at night doesn't work. The strange thing is the erratic behavior. Some nights you'll only lose 5% battery and others 50%.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Fred T. 2/1/14 12:59 PM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Prem Mehta 2/5/14 2:29 AM
Battery performance degraded after update.
Mine lasted for 7 hr with 2 hr web surfing on 3g network n minimum calling.
Pls suggest remedy or send update
Rgds
Prem mehta
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 _Matt Allen 2/5/14 5:40 AM
I found and addressed the fast-draining battery issues i was having on both my nexus 7 (wifi only) and my moto X.  

When I paid more attention to the battery drain graph/curve, I noticed that (at least in my situation), my phone battery was draining normally while I was at work, but at home the decline in remaining battery was nearly doubled.

There were only two differences that I could think of between home and work (I don't have any location-based profile apps that i'm aware of, except whatever google now does). One is my cell phone signal, which is far greater at home than at work.  The other is my wifi, which is decent at work, but at home my router has been frequently dropping signal to wifi devices in my home.  Maybe it was a fluke, but when i fixed the wifi router at home so that it stopped dropping wifi signal so frequently, both my moto X and nexus 7 went back to normal (great) battery life.

So, maybe it was a fluke, or maybe 4.4.2 introduced something that doesn't like poor wifi signal. Either way, my battery life is back. Hopefully that can help someone!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 2/8/14 4:36 AM
Definitely a problem related to wifi reception, though I wouldn't blame the router. Since the update, I notice Android OS ballooning out of control and showing wifi signal to be poor. However, control devices nearby (3, including a Galaxy Tab and a TV stick stuck on 4.1) show no variance in wifi signal strength. If I reboot the phone, wifi signal promptly reestabilishes itself and the battery stops draining wildly. If it happens at night, the phone will completely discharge. Very annoying, but not as annoying as the complete silence from Google on the matter.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Thomas Matt 2/10/14 2:44 AM
My router is literally 1 meter away from my phone, reception is perfect (well, should be). And yet the battery drain is back.

This is from last week, awesome battery life: http://i.imgur.com/1pUgvyg.png

Android OS is keeping the device awake: http://i.imgur.com/kbDaCl0.png

Really, Google. Fix your stuff.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ted Turner83 2/10/14 4:09 AM
Been an issue all weekend for me too. Was great for weeks. Very random. Mostly Google apps were updates recently too.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Thomas Matt 2/10/14 5:11 PM
Well, it's not a wifi issue. This is how it looks with wifi disabled for 8 hours: http://i.imgur.com/IpM52BZ.png

It's fine for a while and then "Android OS" starts to drain the battery again.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/13/14 7:20 AM
I think I may be on to something!  I've also had this problem with only the WiFi router at my work.  The other day, I noticed G+ auto picture uploading was sort of stuck and not uploading photos why I was at work either.  So I cleared the data/cache on the G+ app and then changed to auto picture uploading to only happen on WiFi while plugging into a power source.  Now, it's been two days on the office WiFi without the crazy battery drain!  Hope this helps.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Cemson ZHANG 2/16/14 2:24 PM
I have the same problem 4.4.2. my phone is basically unusable!!! the battery goes sooo fast, from 12PM I left home at 80%, at the afternoon 4PM, it become 5% !! I was only doing web browsing..!!!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/16/14 5:28 PM
Cemson -- did you try disabling G+ photo backup?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Saad Hamadi 2/18/14 9:22 AM
Experiencing the same problem. I haven't tried any of the suggested solutions, but there's no dtechsthat a mysterious problem is plaguing the phone's battery performance. I hope Google techs can find out the problem and fix it.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 2/20/14 7:38 AM
I get the same battery issue every now and then as well.  One thing I noticed is that when the AndroidOS drains like crazy, another process called Sensors.qcom is draining some of the battery as well.  When the battery drain acts normally, Sensors.qcom doesn't show at all.  Thomas Matt, I noticed the same thing in your screenshots.

Does anyone know what the Sensors.qcom process is?  I feel like that may be causing the AndroidOS to act all crazy.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 mohamad nasrah 2/21/14 3:42 AM
No it does not help...i trued it
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 mohamad nasrah 2/21/14 3:50 AM
It is an os issue....i have a galaxy s 2 rooted and i installed pound rom 4.4.2 on it....every thing worked but the battery was draining crazy fast......keep in mind that i never turned wifi on ...only when i activated my accounts .......we should wait for google to make a move....i had to downgrade my phone to 4.3.1 ...and the battery was perfect.....one more thing.....when i put the phone next to me and go to sleep one night i forgot to put the charger the battery was 76% at midnight...at 6:30 am it was 13%...nothing was turned on....but now on 4.3.1 ....it only drain 4% at night........please google....help us
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 jacob.ramsey 2/21/14 11:04 AM
I have the same issue.  Nexus 5.  First two weeks I had the phone I was blown away by how good the battery life was.  It was amazing.  Then I got 4.4.2 and now if I leave it running overnight it goes from 100% to 55% just sitting on my dresser.  The primary culprits are wifi and system idle.  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 daholby 2/21/14 11:36 AM

Straight Linear battery drain. Phone has been idol most of the day barley used, and in 4 hours I'm at 20%. Same contestant drain even when phone is one and playing a game.

That little sliver is when I restarted in Safe Mode and still getting the batter drain. OS issue.

Unacceptable. I can NOT use this phone for daily use now. Both me and my wife are experiencing the EXACT same issues at about the same time (both have the Nexus 5). Something is going on here. Google needs to fix this.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/21/14 12:02 PM
Definitely an OS issue, but you can work around it by turning off WiFi.  Not sure how much cellular data you get but turning off WiFi definitely stops the bleeding, although it is not an acceptable solution.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Fred T. 2/21/14 12:17 PM
I've been rebooting the phone every two days or so. I installed Greenify app that shuts certain apps down. I also turn off Bluetooth and for location I put it at the lowest setting before bedtime. If you have any LED light notifications I'd put those to sleep overnight. They drain the battery. So far so good.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Yue Liao 2/21/14 7:23 PM
Me too. When it occurs, battery drains about 10% per hr. 
Wlan is off, Bluetooth is off, Screen is off, Mobile data is off.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 daholby 2/22/14 9:28 AM
{POSSIBLE SOLUTION}
Thought I would let everyone know that my old router that I was connecting to was causing the issue when wifi was turned on. I switched it out for a newer, (but not as powerful) router and the issue is completely gone. Still have wifi enabled, connecting to a different router and no battery drain. Good luck!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/22/14 6:17 PM
@daholby

Yes, it is definitely something to do with certain routers.  Unfortunately, I cannot change the router at my office, so I just have to disable WiFi at work until Google fixes the issue.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 2/23/14 2:43 AM
I have downgraded to 4.3 and, to my surprise, the problem isn't totally gone. Android OS is still keeping my device awake for 9 hours at a time, though the device doesn't get hot, battery drain isn't as severe and wifi signal doesn't get poor in the process.  Which means it's not exactly KitKat that's causing the issue, it's merely aggravating it. I have installed Wakelock Detector and the main culprits seem to be Exchange and a Google process called 1013, which has something to do with audio though since the wipe and 4.3 flash I don't even have any media on the device. Will keep looking.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 RedDr&Dr 2/23/14 5:54 AM
After reading this entire thread and trying most of the os setting tweaks, I noticed almost immediate battery performance improvement by turning off Google Now. (~10% battery charge lost overnight, which I consider fantastic now. Low standards?)
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Fred T. 2/23/14 6:05 AM
Not sure how the router can be blamed. The radio for WiFi is the same in every Nexus 5. If your living space is 2k feet or less, which is the majority of most homes then your modern day router is capable of working well within that range. Again, I've found changing location settings to low battery use and turning Bluetooth off at night to help well. Also the app called Greenify allows you to put asleep any app that is running in the background. I've also rebooted the phone in between doing these things every two-three days. When you reboot it is like a refresh of system processes running at their lowest levels. I can go a day and a half on a newly charged battery now. Try it and stop messing with routers and turning Google now off. Sure it could be any app you installed that is draining the battery and that is where Greenify comes in. You don't have to be rooted to use it. Good luck!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 gpeng05 2/23/14 12:49 PM
Count me in - new Nexus 5 as of last week, and overnight battery drain under certain circumstances (home) is ridiculous - dead battery within 5 hours.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 2/23/14 12:54 PM
I get the same AndroidOS drain even with wifi and mobile data turned off.  It just happens randomly with the phone sitting and the screen turned off.  It would be nice if Google would at least confirm there's an issue with the OS.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 2/23/14 12:59 PM
Well, "Android OS won't let my device sleep" isn't exactly a productive bug report. From what I've read so far, our problems might not even be the same. So running BetterBatteryStats or a similar app and finding out exactly what process is sending those keep awake signals is a must, for starters. Everything seems to point to a new version of a Google app, at least in my case, since I have reverted to 4.3, installed no third-party apps and still spotted similar behaviour. Since the last reboot this morning, my phone is idling again. We'll see how long that lasts.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Horatio He 2/23/14 10:31 PM
Fast solution: flash back to 4.4, which fixed my issue forever!!!!!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/24/14 7:00 AM
@Horatio He

But now aren't you constantly nagged to update?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Horatio He 2/24/14 7:16 AM
Hahaha, good question, but now I can use my phone as least full day without any issues, and I pretend not seeing those messages :p
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Fred T. 2/24/14 7:21 AM
That's not a solution more like a band aid. You are also giving up any improvements such a security updates. Go up several posts and see my solution. Its working great. Reverting back to an older version is not the answer.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/24/14 7:31 AM
@Fred T.

I saw your solution, but it is not feasible for me.  Google Now is an important part of my phone --  I use it all the time.  My workaround was to just "forget" my office's WiFi network.  As soon as I connect to the office router, my phone remains warm and battery drains about 10-15% per hour.  As soon as I disconnect, the phone cools off and battery usage drains at the normal rate.  I have no idea what it is about the office's WiFi router and I do not have this issue at my house, but I do not have access to mess with the company's router settings and the network guy has no idea why this would happen.  It is an older, corporate strength Cisco router, so perhaps there is something about it that causes the "Android OS" process to continually chew up battery.  Maybe there's some weird security on it or something.  I know it seems unlikely that a router would cause this since WiFi is so common, but I can reproduce the battery drain reliably and consistently EVERY TIME by simply connecting to that router.  Then as soon as I disconnect, the drain stops.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Fred T. 2/24/14 7:42 AM
It is possible the phones battery has an issue if it drains that bad. Do you notice any difference after restarting the phone? How about plugging it up to a USB cable for charging instead of the charging plug that came with the phone? I've noticed slower draining after using USB to PC when charging it at any number of percentage the battery is showing.  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/24/14 8:40 AM
No, I'm pretty technically savvy and understand Android very well.  I'm actually going to be doing some Android development at work here soon.  I don't have a bunch of unnecessary apps installed on my phone and use Greenify to hibernate any unnecessary background services.  My battery has been fine now for the past 3 weeks since I pinpointed the issue.  After a 15 hour day, my battery is usually around 60% with moderate use throughout the work day.  I still try connecting to the office WiFi once a week or so and like clockwork, after a few minutes on the office WiFi, the phone will get a little warm and battery drain will noticeably increase.  In the process of figuring out it was the office WiFi, I wiped my phone and re-flashed the factory 4.4.2 image Google provides and the drain was still there.  I was always on stock, so it's not that I could even blame it on a custom ROM.  So by wiping the phone, I eliminated any possible apps and I was getting ready to request a replacement when I noticed over a weekend, battery life was great.  I was dumbfounded that then on Monday when the drain started again.  Trust me, I am 100% sure that (at least in my case), the drain is related to being on the office's WiFi.  I have no idea what it is doing while on the office router that is causing the drain, but it definitely happens.  I've tried some root apps that will show battery usage in better detail and it's the kernel process that spikes when I'm on the office WiFi.  I'm baffled, but just glad I was able to find a workaround.  I'm on an unlimited data plan, so I don't mind being off WiFi at work.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 gpeng05 2/24/14 2:03 PM
I switched to ART the other day, and oddly it seems to have helped a ton - back to 1%/hour idle usage.  I know somebody else got it to work using the opposite - going back to Dalvik, but this seems to have worked, at least for the last 24 hours.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 2/24/14 2:12 PM
As it's an intermittent problem, everything we do seems to work until the problem reappears. I flashed stock 4.3 and got the weird battery drain. Now I'm on 4.4 using Dalvik and things seem fine, but I'm sure I'll be complaining soon enough. Since I did not experience the problem for the whole of 2013 on 4.3 and now I see it on that exact version, I think I can rule out core Android. I'm thinking the issue has to be a recent update to bundled Google app, but haven't got a lock on it so far.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 gpeng05 2/24/14 2:14 PM
I'm guessing its the Google Search app, which seemed to be the culprit when I was having problems over the weekend - just got the phone on Friday - certain wifi environments kill it.  It also doesn't seem to like being inside a pocket - gets very hot and discharges quickly.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 pH Ayers 2/25/14 2:13 PM
Same here. HTC one on 4.4.2
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 pH Ayers 2/25/14 2:13 PM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 2/26/14 8:19 PM
Have a Nexus 5 and experiencing the same problems. Did a factory reset, but it got stuck at the "Erasing" screen, so I had to reset the device manually and flash the stock 4.4.2 ROM back on. Still experiencing the same battery drain as soon as I turned the phone on before installing apps. I'm suspecting it might be a specific Google app, which would align with what most are saying here. I considered flashing 4.4 or 4.3 to see if the problem persists, but from what people have said, it doesn't matter which Android version you're using, this problem can pop up randomly on them all. So, I went into safe mode and disabled every application (including Google apps) on my phone, and my battery life improved immediately, however, the (when looking at GSam Battery Monitor) Kernel (Android OS) continued to abnormally suck out around 27%-30% power under the applications when it would usually hover around 10% before I started having problems. So, my suspicion is that what is draining the battery is simply one of the "Google Services," which would be hard to disable without seriously handicapping the smartphone experience. Hopefully someone can figure it out, unless Google fixes it first. I have a feeling that when Kit Kat 4.4.2 came out, Google "updated" some process within their Google Services on each device, rolling it out at different times, and that's why people are experiencing such weird results with no clear answer.

But that's just me...
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ahmed_Hegazy 2/28/14 7:52 AM
same here, it gets hot and recharges quickly about 15%-20% decrease in 40 mins. IT IS ANNOYING...Google should fix that
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 gpeng05 2/28/14 7:54 AM
As I said - switching to ART seems to have made all the difference - things seem back to normal now.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 2/28/14 8:00 AM
@Micah

I did the same thing -- factory reset, disabling apps, etc.  It turns out that it's a problem with the OS not being able to work right with certain routers.  Turn off WiFi and you'll see the problem goes away.  I know it's not a solution, but a temporary workaround until Google (hopefully) fixes the issue.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 2/28/14 7:10 PM
The only issue with that, is that I'm seeing the same issue when I'm not connected to wifi and only connected to my mobile data. However, I haven't tried turning off wifi entirely, so I will give that a shot and post my results.

Thanks!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/1/14 5:00 PM
I tried turning off WiFi entirely and it seemed to not make a difference. My Android OS Kernal battery usage is still around 44% and sucking my battery down like a mother. Anybody have any other ideas?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Horatio He 3/1/14 5:54 PM
This mostly happened to the last or some app u installed recently, for me I uninstalled es file explorer then drain is gone. Its quite normal that the apps are not fully tested w the new version of os. Try to reset to factory, install minimum apps then c what will happen, good luck
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ishaan Mehta 3/1/14 6:39 PM
Please tell me a solution if one comes up...because I keep on having the same problem. 1 or 2 calls, minimum surfing the web.All I do all lot of is watching youtube!Drains like crazy!!!!!!! please help..
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ishaan Mehta 3/1/14 7:04 PM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Aref Azmi 3/2/14 2:26 AM
I'm also having problems with my battery life since the last Android update. Now I cant even rely on the alarm when I go to bed, everything is off, wifi/bluetooth etc but the phone justs die in the middle of the night.

Before the last Android update I hade perfect battery life.

If I reset my phone, do I lose all my pics, contacts etc!? Never done that before.

If someone knows another solution please let me know.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Horatio He 3/2/14 3:26 AM
Set Google auto back up on ur phone, if u r not comfortable, export all contacts and back it up manually to Google account, copy ur pics out. Then u have choice to flash back to 4.4 or reset to 4.4.2, and install minimum apps then test
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ksobier 3/3/14 6:44 AM
Mine is always on Battery saving for locations. I have changed WIFI to 'Only when plugged in' and will check tomorrow.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Aref Azmi 3/3/14 6:54 AM
This will be my last solution. I've done the ART thing since yesterday, and that maybe helped me with 5-10%, bit its still pretty bad battery time, compared to what I had one month ago. I had 99% battery this morning at 8'o clock. I've only used the phone during my lunch break which is 1hour.. Now I'm down to 10% battery left.. And this is with the ART-mode.

Just one question.. If I reset the phone back to the earlier version..will that affect my phone? Considering the previous update which improved the camera?

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/3/14 10:07 AM
Yes. You are fundamentally installing a completely different OS, which would mean that the camera would back to it's usual quirkiness and any other issues you may have had before could show back up. You will have to completely wipe out all the phone's data to install the 4.4 OS as well, so be sure to backup your apps, settings, etc.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ed Chavez 3/3/14 10:13 PM
Hey Micah,

I just installed the KitfKat 4.4.2 update on my HTC One Tmobile the frustration has been endless it drains my battery so fast and my OS is at 97 percent what the heck! 
I have done Factory Reset, Safe Mode, Uninstalled Apps, Clear Cache through System Reboot, Calibrated the Battery Via Holding Power and Volume Down Button (that feat actually helped a little but the OS still drains it fast) what is left to do I am at lost. Is there a bug that google hasn't attempted to fix what the heck this is horrible.

Have you had any success fixing the issue at hand?

Ed
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/4/14 9:36 AM
Well, it looks like I'm having a little bit of an interesting experience today...

Yesterday I tried booting into safe mode twice. One of the times I booted into safe mode the issue was fixed, but immediately returned as soon as I reverted back to (normal?) mode. I tried booting into safe mode again, and the issue did not go away. Strange.

So let me take you through this chronologically: The time I was in safe mode WITHOUT the Android OS draining issue (miraculously), I looked at the apps that were running. The only apps that were running were Google services. I restarted my phone back to normal, and BOOM, the issue was back. So, I restarted BACK into safe mode, and what do you know, the Android OS was sucking the battery up like a mother again. I looked at the apps that were running and this time, they were still ONLY Google Services. I even looked and compared how much RAM each Google service was using compared to before (when the problem had resolved itself) and there was absolutely no difference.

So, feeling hopeless, I figured I would put my phone into Airplane mode last night while it was still running (I left it plugged into the charger, putting it into Airplane mode during the night is something I never tried). The next morning I wake up and head out the door listening to Google Play Music. An hour later I look at my phone to check out the battery life and what do you know? It has ONLY drained about 4%-5% within an hour (usually it would drain down to AT LEAST 75%-87% within an hour's listening to music, this time it was chugging through at 95%!). So I check out the battery stats, and within the Kit Kat settings, my Android OS is only draining 6% of my battery in an hour's time. I check out GSam Battery Monitor, and the Android OS is back down to around 20% (usually it would hover around 30%-40% when listening to music).

Right now I have absolutely no clue what is going on. The only thing that seems to have made any difference is me putting my phone into Airplane mode over night. What I'm thinking, possibly, is that there was a process getting started while the phone was attempting to go into deep sleep during the night, and for some reason, this process was bugged, causing the phone to drain like crazy. Considering I had already factory reset my phone and the issue persisted before I even updated any Google apps or installed ANYTHING, I have a feeling it is not an issue with any particular application, but an issue, specifically, with some Google Service (like I had been thinking before in one of my earlier posts).

I think we can rule out factory resetting the device, uninstalling apps, clearing cache, rebooting, and maybe even flashing back to STOCK Kit Kat 4.4 to solve this problem indefinitely. I also don't think this is an issue that is only happening with the Nexus 5, but an issue with a lot of phones that have updated to Kit Kat. I have taken screenshots of every application that is currently running now (the cached ones as well), and also monitored the last time Google had updated its applications automatically on my phone (it had not updated any applications since I had unplugged the device). I have a feeling the problem lies SOMEWHERE within there. I even took screenshots of each and every process within the android kernel (looking at GSam), just in case.

I'll update everyone with my results tonight. If the problem pops up again, I'll be sure to record any differences anywhere to see if I can narrow it down. Let's hope and pray we can figure this crap out! Of course, unless Google fixes it first. ;D
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 John Whittle79 3/4/14 5:35 PM
I wonder if this is the answer

http://phandroid.com/2014/03/04/android-4-4-2-camera-bug-officially-acknowledged-by-google-fix-arriving-in-a-future-android-update/

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 3/4/14 5:39 PM
I don't think so because from those screen shots, you can clearly see the camera app at the top of the battery list.  The issue we are having is with the "Android OS" (kernel) process.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/4/14 9:13 PM
Okay, I'm back.

So, the Android OS drainage popped back up around 1:00pm-ish and continued on for the rest of the day. I compared the list of apps that had been running before the problem came back to the list of running apps after the problem arose, and noticed that the only other app that had started itself and continued to run was Google+ even though I had never touched it. I looked, and it seems that it had automatically backed up all of my photos over wi-fi around 1:00pm-ish on battery, even when I set it to only back up my photos when plugged in (which it never was plugged in when it backed up the photos). I uninstalled and disabled Google+ entirely, but the problem still seemed to continue for the next twenty or so minutes. So, I enabled Google+ and updated the app back to normal. I screwed around with a ton of different sync settings, disabling apps, etc. and found nothing that would lead me to believe it is any other specific application causing the issues. The only possible culprit seems to be Google+, possibly running in the background, causing a bug in the Android OS that continues even after you uninstall and disable Google+ entirely. That's the closest I can get to anything that makes sense. So, I'm going to try to disable all Google+ sync settings tomorrow, and completely disable the app entirely (and also keep my phone in airplane mode tonight) and get back with you all tomorrow with my results.

And about that qcamera process bug, I had started experiencing that the past few weeks as well, when these issues with the Android OS began, so who knows, maybe they're somehow related. At least Google is acknowledging it.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/5/14 10:47 AM

Chrome is also one of the (apparently many) cause of that problem.

I didn't do anything other than opening a single web page with my phone this day :

I still get the same problem though, didn't manage to isolate the cause yet.

In any case... dump Chrome.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 3/5/14 10:57 AM
@Vincent

Not sure if it's related, but your "mobile network signal" dropped at the same time you opened Chrome.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 3/5/14 11:12 AM
Does anyone know what the sensors.qcom setting is in Vincent's screenshots?  Whenever I get the Android OS battery drain, that sensors.qcom process shows up to.  When the battery drains normally, the sensors.qcom does not show up.  I've googled it, but couldn't find an answer as to what it is.

I have a feeling that Android OS and sensors.qcom are related somehow and if the sensors.qcom process can be averted, the Android OS battery drain will stop.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/5/14 11:24 AM
I don't think it is related to the network signal. As you can see on my screenshot, the drain stopped after I closed Chrome while the signal was still similar. I switched to Opera since that day, and I didn't notice any abnormal drain while idle.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/5/14 3:31 PM
I just deleted and disabled Chrome on my Nexus 5 to see if it makes a difference. Tried it with Google+ but didn't do a thing.

I haven't seen the process "sensors.qcom" pop up when I had the Android OS issue.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 xstrm1 3/6/14 7:04 AM
Me too. I've always praised Nexus 5 for it's outstanding ability not to drain battery when it's idle. 
Just few days ago, I started noticing this behaviour. Android OS eats all the power and I can't stop it. 
Yesterday I did a Factory reset, but there's no change. 

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Daniel Heise 3/6/14 11:45 AM
My Nexus 4 is also suffering from this Android OS drain. I've contacted Google last week an they send me a brand new device for exchange. But the new phone also suffers from the enormous drain.
I've contacted Google again and ask them if this is a software problem in 4.2.2.
I've got no answer to my question. The Google support only offers another exchange due to the 'defective battery' in the new device.
I've decided to keep my current device and wait for some fix in Android.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/6/14 1:06 PM
Indeed, now I always see "sensors.qcom" in my battery stats whenever "Android OS" is draining my battery...
I wouldn't be surprised if our issue was closely linked to the "mm-qcamera-daemon" one that some users are experiencing.
A global problem with the usage of Qualcomm's drivers ?
I sort of hope so, that could mean a fix with the next update for us too...
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Franco Danny Manciolli 3/6/14 6:47 PM
I'm having the same problem with my nexus 4. google please address it as this annoying.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/6/14 7:10 PM
So here are my before and after results of removing Chrome from my phone (the 14hr day is the day where I was using Dolphin instead of Chrome). It seems to have made a slight difference, but still kind of hard to tell, considering the usage between today and yesterday was a bit different (I used it less today).

It seems like the battery keeps acting like it's supposed to early in the day, and then in the early afternoon, it begins to drain like crazy again during "sleep." Battery stats in Kit Kat settings says Android OS is 17% and Android System is 11%... Gsam says my Android OS is draining at around 28% of my total battery, and out of all my apps, is draining 50%. Gonna install Chrome again tomorrow and see if it makes any difference for me. If it does I'll report back, if not, then I won't.

I'm kind of losing all hope here, I'm really just starting to think that there may just be nothing we can do about it to fix this problem indefinitely... sigh...

Google, hurry up with 4.4.3! Please!

In the meantime, I'll be waiting on my 3500mAh Extended Battery Case to come in. :P
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 e_lizzle 3/7/14 3:42 PM

I want to thank you!  My Nexus 7 has been burning battery while not in use, so bad that I don't even use it anymore.  I've been following all these threads about poor battery life, mine went to crap sometime last year.  I used to be able to leave the device idle for weeks and now it's dead after a few days.  Well, turning off Google Now is exactly what fixed it for me.  Battery consumption went from 17% per day to 3% per day.  Also, the Android OS process is no longer the highest consumer of power, the Idle process is.  Thanks, man!

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:54:24 AM UTC-5, RedDr&Dr wrote:
After reading this entire thread and trying most of the os setting tweaks, I noticed almost immediate battery performance improvement by turning off Google Now. (~10% battery charge lost overnight, which I consider fantastic now. Low standards?)
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Jmro21 3/8/14 4:10 AM
I'm having the same issue now. Yesterday, the battery went from 97% to 66% in 4 1/2 hours with 22 mins. of screen time. 50/60% of the battery use was from Android OS. This makes the phone almost unusable. I see it´s happening to a lot of people... Google should get this fixed. I have been uninstalling apps to see if maybe one of them is the problem but is too soon to tell.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Pascal Bouffard 3/8/14 1:31 PM
I have the same issue... "android os" going crazy without reason.... and I noticed that sensors.qcom is always in my list when it is happening. I'm on stock and I made a clean reinstallation of the OS, and I installed only half of my apps... and the bug is already back ! It can happen on WIFI or HPSA/LTE, so I'm trying to find what app is starting this issue (Don't get me wrong, the bug is probably on the google side , however, I'm sure there is an app starting it). Yesterday I uninstalled Greenify (I only had 2 apps greenified) and so far so good ... not sure if it is linked yet.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Renan S. S. 3/10/14 9:28 PM
Google listen to me:

I'll never, NEVER buy an Android device again! and I'll convince all my friends to do the same! 
My two nexus become totally useless with this battery drain. Since this update my phone and tablet doesn't last a day!
I've deactivated Google Currents to see if it fix.
What a shame!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Horatio He 3/10/14 9:44 PM
Just simply roll back to 4.4, easy and no more complaint, lol
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Roman Abdulmanov 3/11/14 1:18 AM
Same problem with Nexus 4. Android OS around 50-60%
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 3/11/14 9:33 AM
I forget if I had read it here, or another forum, but I may have found a solution.  At least for me that is.  Someone had mentioned that the Android OS battery drain only occurred when they were connected to the 3G network (whether wifi was on or not).  When that person switched to 4G, the issue went away.  I usually kept my phone on 3G (ironically because i thought it would save battery power), so I decided to switch to 4G permanently and see what happens.  Well it's been 7 days and I've only had the battery drain once.  And that once was because there was no 4G signal where I was and the phone automatically switched to 3G.  I've been using my phone like I always do, kept my wifi on most of the time, no disabled apps, and used the camera occasionally.  The only thing I did differently was I always tried to make sure all my recent apps were swiped away.

I don't know if this is the solution for everyone, but if you keep your phone on 3G a lot, make the switch and see what happens.  Although I'm pretty sure I've jinxed myself, give it a shot with your phone.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Aref Azmi 3/11/14 9:38 AM
That doesn't seem to be the solution for me since I havet used 4G all the time besides when I'm at home, then I use my wifi ofcourse. I really hope Google comes with a solution soon because it's pretty annoying to recharge the phone 2-3 times Evert day since the 4.4.2 update. It feels like I'm having a iphone, and that sucks even more, because even the iphone has vetter battery time than what de are experiencing right now.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 jt23 3/11/14 9:44 AM
same issue here on Nexus 5, last night the phone even drained more than the charger could load :(
a reboot seems to temporarily fix it, until some OS process kicks in the drain...
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 3/11/14 10:06 AM
Well, let's try to figure out what we all have in common here.  Seems like we all may have:

• Nexus 4/5 with 4.4.2
  • Stock image?
  • Rooted?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 jt23 3/11/14 10:32 AM
Nexus 5 4.4.2
Stock image
Rooted
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 3/11/14 10:39 AM
Nexus 5 4.4.2
Stock Image
Not Rooted
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/11/14 11:18 AM
Nexus 5 4.4.2
Stock Image
Not rooted
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/11/14 12:06 PM
Nexus 5
Stock image
Not rooted

I also have llama, greenpower and lux running in the background.

Tried to disable several things like Google Now, location, auto rotate, auto brightness, but nothing works: every other day, Android OS shows up on top of my stats.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 3/11/14 12:18 PM
Nexus7 (2012) 4.4.2
Stock image
Not rooted

Battery drain only when wifi is on. With airplane mode on it's ok...

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 3/11/14 12:24 PM
I think its safe to say Android 4.4.2 and Stock Image.  Rooted vs Not Rooted doesn't seem to matter.

Honestly though, try switching to 4G if your phone is always on 3G
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 3/11/14 12:25 PM
So it seems that being rooted isn't necessarily the issue.  I'm pretty sure it isn't any particular 3rd party app because I've flashed back to stock and have even tried safe mode and the issue still exists.  So it's either a built in Google app or service, or an OS component.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 3/11/14 12:29 PM
@Steven

How do you set that?  Under Settings > More... > Mobile networks >  Preferred network type, I have LTE, 3G, and 2G.  I have mine set on LTE, but T-Mobile does not have LTE in my area.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 3/11/14 12:38 PM
You are correct.  That is how you switch.  But if you don't have any LTE coverage and are stuck on 3G, then you're unfortunately SOL.  However, at least your situation doesn't disprove my theory.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 KennyG944 3/12/14 8:27 PM
Google, you can kiss my ass.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 3/12/14 8:35 PM
I may have had a breakthrough!  This morning I tried turning off NFC out of the blue since I never use it and I've had better battery life today than in a very long time and my usage was about normal.  Android OS is way lower on the list than usual.  I'll continue to report my findings on this as it could very well have just been a lucky day, but might be worth a try if you don't use NFC.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MeInHere 3/13/14 1:19 AM
I had the same problem. I think you just have to optimize your settings about location services of google like location tracking and suff (deactivate it!) and also the frequenzes of syncronisation of your apps. I think it is a sum of many issues.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 jt23 3/13/14 3:49 AM
I've been able to prevent a lot of battery drainage by changing the advanced wifi setting "keep wi-fi on during sleep" from "only when plugged in" to "always".
Though this might just prevent my phone from switching to the 3G network, which seems to be (part of) the culprit...
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Guanying Wu 3/13/14 10:01 AM
Last night before going to bed the battery was almost 40%. Stupid android os drained it up and I missed the alarm and a damned meeting this morning. Google and your android engineers can go to the hell. I am switching back to apple.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ted Turner83 3/13/14 10:12 AM
I noticed AndroidOS came back out of no where last night for me.  Under Developer Tools->Process Stats, I noticed Google Music was using a high amount of background RAM activity/space.  This is unusual.  Seems like the Wi-Fi cache service with it might have screwed up and left the device awake for no reason?  Maybe something else.  It was the only app I noticed being unusually high.  Maybe a little high was Google Search (search) app.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Pascal Bouffard 3/13/14 12:23 PM
apparently, there are many "android os" battery drain patterns.
As I stated a few days ago in this thread, my "android OS" bug is always coming with sensors.qcom showing up in the bottom of my list.

I'm on stock and rooted,
I did a clean factory default and installed half of my apps, but the next day, the issue was still there.
In the last 2 weeks I uninstalled a few apps every day that I had the battery drain.

So .... today is my third day in a row without any problem : my last uninstalled app is : TuneIn
I suspect this app to be the one triggering the bug with "android os".

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/13/14 12:55 PM
I also had tuneIn radio installed, I'll report in a few days if there is any difference. Thanks for the heads up!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Jeffrey Limpus 3/13/14 6:05 PM
I have owned the N5 for about a month now and have taken the neccessary steps to avoid battery drainage. I have disabled all the usual suspects that cause drainage,WiFi,mobile network, Location, Bluetooth, and all syncs. I enable\disable all of these only when needed. I have experienced less than satisfactory results.
I recently experienced an unusual abnormal battery drainage over night. Last night I unplugged my fully charged N5 at ~1:30am. 4 hours later when I awoke, it had drained 23%. Phone was not in use. I checked the battery usage and both 'Phone idle' and 'cell standby' were at the top of the list with abnormally high % usage.
Jeffrey Limpus 3/13/14 6:06 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ecMan 3/13/14 6:29 PM
I must be the outlier. I have 3 devices running 4.4.2, and I don't have any draining issues, and I left everything enabled. Google Now, Sync, Location, Wifi, bluetooth, etc. I even forgot to plug in my phone last night, and it didn't drain much overnight, and I have tune-in radio installed... Tho I haven't opened that app in months... 
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Bart Larrenaga 3/14/14 1:48 PM
I've had similar issues.  I have location in power save mode, wifi off, etc. and it will still depelete fast, though in my case it was telling me that wifi was taking 25% of the power.  I went into Wifi Advanced settings and changed it so that it stops scanning networks, but I've still seen the battery go down rapidly.  It dropped 29% overnight while doing nothing, and then another 40% since I left home this morning.

The biggest issue is that it's inconsitent.  I had this issue for a while, then powered off for 30 min, turned it back on, and battery seemed ok for a while, wouldn't depelete much when not in use, then suddenly this started happening again.  So I can't count on how my phone will be behaving from day to day.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 3/15/14 1:34 PM
I still have the Android OS battery drain issue on my Nexus 7. Yesterday I received request on my phone to update to 4.4.2. I have a non rooted galaxy s4 using their Touchwiz android version. I was afraid to upgrade to 4.4.2 because I didn't want my phone to also suffer from the same battery drain I have with my Nexus 7 or you guys with your Nexus 5. To my surprise I don't have any android os issue on my S4.
How can Samsung deliver a good modified Kitkat version and Google cannot do the same on their Nexus devices?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ecMan 3/15/14 2:05 PM
It has to be something different, like one of the apps or something. I have a nexus 7 with 4.4.2. It hasn't been plugged in for 4 days and it still has 48% charge despite using it every night. Everything is still enabled, such as WiFi, Bluetooth. Google Now, syncing, high accuracy location services, etc.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Kevin Zhou 007 3/16/14 7:20 PM
ME TOO. 
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Amit Agarwal1 3/16/14 8:06 PM
It's not nexus 5....Its the idiotic OS... My nexus 4 has been suffering the same problem.... They need to fix the OS... Some one complain to Google... OMG i m tired with the OS...
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Amit Agarwal1 3/16/14 8:06 PM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 3/17/14 5:15 AM
Ok I did another factory reset of my Nexus 7 (2012) without installing other apps. I haven't seen the Android OS battery drain for 2 days. I will start installing 1 or 2 apps per day to see how it goes.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 MikeWelch 3/17/14 5:50 AM
OK, thanks Scott.  Let us know what you find.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Miss Catherine 3/17/14 7:17 AM
My Android OS hasn't been draining my battery but ever since the updates, stupid Google Play Services is even though it's not open. It'll run in the background.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Pascal Bouffard 3/17/14 9:19 AM
after 1 week, the "android OS" drain is back today....
so even if uninstalling Tunein may have helped (I had the drain almost every day and now I've been 1 week without issue) the fight is not over yet :(

I know google is working on an update pack soon.. and I hope they will fix this bug
until then, rebooting is the only temporary fix
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/20/14 11:32 AM
Well, same here.
Nexus 4
Stock 4.4.2
non-rooted

incredible battery drain. android OS is main drainer. Iv'e tried almost every possible "battery optimzation" - location servieces OFF, wifi on only when device on, nfc off yada yada yada... =/
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Arthur Zakaryan 3/21/14 2:06 PM
Nexus 4 here
Stock 4.4.2
Not Rooted

I don't have the patience to test every service to see what the issue can be. The main changes I have made are completely disabling as many Google Services as I can do without since I can't completely uninstall them. Also two other major changes are disabling Google Now and turning off Location altogether. I have also turned off a few other things as well that I don't need as well as cleaning out some apps I can do without.

My Android OS usage went from 27% to 20% so I should see some improvement. Will report back with as much analysis as I can provide.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 3/21/14 2:47 PM
Unfortunately, after the factory reset I was ok for 3 days but Androis OS returned. I downloaded only 4-5 apps (swiftkey, pressreader, TuneIn, weather app) and setup email.

I getting tired of this...

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Pascal Bouffard 3/21/14 2:54 PM
I had the same issue Scott... After a factory reset the drain was back after a few days... However it happened only once in the last 2 weeks after uninstalling tunein. So you should try to remove it and see if you are getting the same result.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 3/21/14 3:10 PM
Ok, I will try again (did it before factory reset) ... but not very confident.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Pascal Bouffard 3/21/14 3:20 PM
By the way I don't think removing TuneIn is the ultimate solution, however according to my last weeks, TuneIn seems to be one of the apps triggering the bug with Android OS. So even if it doesn't solve the problem, it is happening much less often (for me)
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/23/14 2:01 PM
I have Nexus 5 & Nexus 10.. both KK 4.4.2 &  non-rooted 

Both these devices are suffering for this Android OS process drain.

Someone referred to 3G & 4G as an issue, but my N10 is wifi only.... so cellular/mobile data cannot be an issue here.

I can confirm this issue is different from the camera driver issue, as I had experienced the camera driver issue a lot of time in Feb..... 

I have noticed that the battery drain via Android OS process stops when I switch off wifi and Auto-Sync both together on my N10. Switching off wifi during standby on N5 just doesnt make sense, I might as well get my old Nokia brick out again !

I am curious to know whether someone has reported a bug for this issue or not... I would make sense to star it and the collective action might bump the priority of the bug. I am not an android expert and am not sure how to raise a bug :)
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/23/14 2:27 PM
Ok a little bit of web searching led me to the following:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62654  {screenshots with Android OS & Phone Idle consuming battery!}

can someone here with more andriod knowledge verify which of these bugs are causing issues for us? If they are duplicate, then how to get them merged?

If they are relevant to the issue we are facing, then please star the bug ... I have noticed that google takes notice of how many people star an issue (as a vote to bump priorities)
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Francesco Tonino Ascione 3/23/14 2:33 PM
I had the same issue on my Moto G with Android 4.4.2. I changed 2 things that seem to have solved the problem:

1) In Wi-Fi panel, under "advanced", i did set "wi fi on during suspension" in "only when charging"
2) In "developer options" i changed runtime in "ART"

Now it seems better!

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/23/14 2:44 PM
Thanks for your quick response...

I have N5 on ART already....  couldn't get N10 on ART (somehow the option was not available)
I both my devices are using different runtimes Dalvik and ART.... and both are facing this issue, which IMHO shows that the runtime is not an issue. 

So the culprit appears to the WIFI !

You have effective change the setting to disable wifi on stand-by! I do disable wifi manually on my N10 before keeping it on stand-by and (as mentioned above) there is no battery drain...

However, I rely on wifi for connectivity+data due to poor mobile n/w coverage.... I cannot afford to switch-off wifi on standby for my N5 mobile! Hence your workaround is not suitable for my situation !

I think we need to report this bug... its affecting a lot more devices !  Does anyone know how to provide the BugReport?  This is what I encountered once before when I found a relevant bug for another issue - "please give us a Bugreport and we might be able to help fix it. If no one gives us a Bugreport this might never get fixed. "
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/23/14 2:49 PM
I have also seen these bug reports.
This one in particular seems to be strongly related with the one we experience : https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67189

Please star it so that Google will take it seriously !

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/23/14 2:52 PM
but that issue relates to location service and not wifi... however if you refer the two comments above we think Wifi could be implicated in it !
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 3/23/14 3:07 PM
It's clear to me that, in my case at least, Wifi is the culprit. Let me sum up everything I've figured up until now: Android version is not the sole culprit. I have reverted to stock 4.3 and the issue reappeared soon enough, though lower in intensity. And my wifi signal was not reported as weak, like in KitKat. It's not a third-party app, as pure stock presented the issue. If I turn wifi off, it seems to be ok. However, once the bug is triggered, only a reboot will return my phone to normal. I have detected msm_hsic_host keeping my device awake when the bug triggered last time. The strange thing is that it seems to be something related to data connections, and I never turn on mobile data as I'm always on wifi range.

This bug seems spot on for the most part, so I'll be following its reports: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62654

I suggest everyone to do the same, like Parag says. Otherwise our devices may remain untrustworthy for the rest of their lives.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/23/14 3:29 PM
It doesn't refer to location service : it only tells that changing the location setting solves the issue (drain from Android OS and sensors.qcom) for a while, something that I may confirm in a few days.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/24/14 2:51 AM
Before going to sleep tonight I made sure my nexus was fully charged and I did not charge it during the night.
I wake up about 8 hours later(phone is untouched during of course) - 46% lost(!).

Built in battery claims that "Android OS" is to blame. with GSAM Battery stats the same is true - but it also points that the slimport_wake_lock (kernel wakelock) is to blame.
Attached is a screenshot. what activates this wakelock? how can I prevent it from draining my battery while phone is effectively idle?(wifi is set to be off if devices sleeps btw).

Also, Iv'e tried doing something similar while the device was in Safe Mode(only google apps are running and allowed to be launched). was pretty much the same - So It's probably not some app whose causing it...

SS:

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Steven 3/24/14 8:26 AM
I think one app that may be causing this issue is the ES File Explorer.  I had it uninstalled about a month ago and re-installed last night.  In between that time, I would still get the Android OS battery drain but it wasn't as bad.  Overnight it would occasionally drain an extra 3-4% as oppose to my normal 2% in approximately 7 hours.  With that extra 3-4%, I would still get that sensors.qcom bug.  After re-installing the app last night, the battery drained 20% overnight.  This was the first time I've had this huge of a drain in about a month when I originally had the app on my phone.

I don't know if ES File Explorer is making the issue worse, but I figured I'd just throw that out there as an FYI.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/24/14 2:37 PM
I don't have ES File Explorer (but a file explorer app from a diff author)  I got rid of TuneIn from both N10 & N5... Still have the battery drain issue...

Today I charged both N10 & N5 at the same time to 100%, then kept N10 on airplane mode and N5 with Wifi on.  Both have similar apps installed.

After eight hours, N10 had an almost no battery drain... from 100% to 96%
However, N5 had lost a lot of battery power... from 100% to 21%  again over 44% was down to "Android OS" process...

I agree hoping for an eight day battery life (something good old nokia phones provided) is unreasonable, however just eight hours of battery life is unacceptable.

@Ariel: If you have the ability to put a bug report, then I suggest you do that. If you are able to point out more technical stuff associated with the issue and if you are able to consistently reproduce the issue you are facing. I think you have more credible info to raise a bug and get it fixed.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 3/24/14 7:15 PM
Funnily enough, I'm on posession of a Razr MAXX, running Cyanogenmod 10.1 (based on Jelly Bean 4.2.2), and lo and behold, Android OS is using more power during the day than 2 hours of screen time. Same as with my Nexus 4 on stock 4.3, though both fare better than my Nexus 4 on stock 4.4. I'll wager it's not related, as it seems to report little time awake, though it admits to using a lot of the CPU. Still, funny to see Android OS acting out on any kind of ROM, on all sorts of devices, even if for different reasons.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ram130 3/24/14 10:45 PM
Hey guys,

Try the solutions in this post and see if it helps then report back: http://goo.gl/bbbBtF

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/25/14 6:32 AM
Disabled android service manager as suggested in the G+ article.... but still no change in battery drain!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ram130 3/25/14 9:12 AM
Be sure to give it a day or two and do all the steps. Including rebooting twice. Then report back after one or two charges.  
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/25/14 9:40 AM
I'll try the ADM thing tonight. we'll see how it goes, though I'm pessimistic.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Jeff Courteau 3/25/14 9:44 AM
I think WiFi was causing the battery drain on my phone.  I made a change on Sunday that seems to have helped.  I made it all day Sunday and all day Monday without a battery drain issue and without resetting my phone.  I made these changes to my WiFi settings:
1.  Turn off WiFi
2.   In WiFi advanced settings unchecked - Scanning always available, even when WiFi is off
3.  I have four Tasker profiles that involve WiFi (I turned them all off)
         a.  Between 9 pm and 4 am turn off data and WiFi (this would toggle the items off and on)
         b.  Not within range of specific cell tower (home tower) turn WiFi off (this would toggle WiFi on and off)
         c.  Connected to home WiFi turn off pin lock
         d   Not connected to home WiFi turn pin lock on
Two days of good battery isn't proof of success but before the above I couldn't make it through one day without needing to reset my phone.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/25/14 10:38 AM
@ram130 with all due respect... its a dumb/lifeless phone (a logic machine) and not a wounded human... that needs a couple of days to heal/recover...!

I did the following:
1) I disabled Android Device Manager, 
2) switched off and turned on  the phone twice (coz the f* Restart option no longer exists in stock KK 4.4.2)
3) Fully Charged the phone (100%)
4) didn't use the phone (except for 2 min max) in following 5 hrs .... even turned silent mode to avoid any battery drain by the ringer or vibration motor.
5) Checked the battery status of the phone.... and it still had Android OS consuming 49% of battery ...  & the battery had drained down to 76%

When I write this message.... its been 9 hrs and battery is down to 46% with Android OS consuming 43% battery...! All other battery usages are in single digits!

Please advise why do you think waiting for another day or two would help? 
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/25/14 2:47 PM
4 full days now without Android OS draining my battery, and without rebooting. I hope it will last...
I only did one thing, mentioned in this bug report : https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67189
I simply turned on location reporting and location history.
It is said to fix the log frenzy and thus the issue with sensors.qcom, at least temporarily.

If anybody is willing to try this as well... Please star the bug report, apparently that's how you force Google to acknowledge it.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Scott Qc 3/25/14 3:22 PM
Disabling android device manager doesn't work at all. Too bad.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ecMan 3/25/14 3:26 PM
I don't think it's location reporting or device manager related. I have these enabled on all my devices, and I don't have a drain issue.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Vincent Guillou 3/25/14 3:33 PM
This report https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67189 as well as my drain-free device since i re-enabled location reporting tends to make me think that enabling location reporting may actually prevent the issue. Your experience only consolidates this idea.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ecMan 3/25/14 3:36 PM
Oh, I must've misread that post. I thought it said the logcat spam stopped when they *disabled* location services.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/26/14 12:34 AM
Disabling ADM didn't work for me either. ~8 hours of complete inactivity and battery drained by about 50%.

I'll try the ENABLING of location reporting (it was off for me) and update. This is too weird and consumes WAY too much of my time dealing with this -_-
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Jesse Y 3/26/14 3:16 AM
If you are also haunted by this unpleasant battery issue, you can try the tips below to fix it.

•  Modify the screen brightness to a low level and reduce the screen timeout duration.

• Disable mobile data, Bluetooth, NFC and Android Beam when you don’t use them.

• Turn Wi-Fi off when you are in a place where you see your handset is constantly searching for Wi-Fi networks.

• Go to Settings => Location => Mode and use battery saver for GPS rather than high accuracy.

other solutions are available at http://goo.gl/KhbqrT

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Jeff Courteau 3/26/14 4:36 AM
On the third day the battery drain returned on my phone.  Disregard my suggestion about turning off WiFi and unchecking "scanning always available even when WiFi is off.".
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Micah Robertson 3/26/14 6:28 PM
Welp, since I figured the issue wouldn't be resolved very soon I went ahead and picked up an extended battery case. Found one that was 3500mAh and it is definitely getting me through the day with flying colors! The only downside is that the case is absolutely huge, but it is worth it for my purposes... Good protection at least.

Android 4.4.3 better fix this problem.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Parag Sharma 3/26/14 7:49 PM
I am thinking of invoking section75 protection in the UK and throw this N5 brick back at Google! really frustrated!

btw... getting a battery pack is a workaround (a practical one) ... but not a solution.

@Jesse... your suggestions are just short of a suggestion to going back to the Nokia 6110 age! I bought a smartphone not to turn-off all smart features and turn it into a featurephone...! Btw.. I have already implemented point 1, 2 & 4, Point 3 is not a use case applicable to me...! And still just like others I have a 50% drain in less than 8 hours of stand by! While your suggestions are generic battery saving features, they do not address the specific issue of "Andriod OS" process consuming ridiculous amounts of battery on standby.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 3/27/14 2:22 PM
Guys, if you don't know (I didn't), you can go to "developer options" and make a bug report from there. I urge everyone that's experiencing the drain to do so, preferably at a time when the drain is taking place, since the bug report collects phone data to send to Android devs.

And here's a bug report I've found to be somewhat similar, though not identical to my case, at least, since my wifi setup is a single router with a unique SSID:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=65048&q=android%20os%20battery&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ram130 3/27/14 3:28 PM
Hey guys.

It was a suggestion that worked for me on the X. What is happening, at least on the X was location causing a peak CPU time that I tracked with System Panel. If you look on the same post on the hash tag there are screen shots.  It seems to be related to Google Now and ADM. Do all the suggestions in the link exactly and you should at least see a difference. I wouldn't post here if I wasn't sure. I had the same issue on my N7 a few times with testing and fixed it.

Link to post: http://goo.gl/bbbBtF

Again for testing. Reboot twice after the steps.

Here's one thing you can try. I did this as well but didn't get to fully test. Disable Google Play Services and uninstall the updates. Reboot. Then enable and update it. Reboot.

Good luck.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Adrian Tan 3/27/14 7:52 PM
On sensors.qcom triggering high usage of android os in the battery: Disabling Android Device Manager (Settings > Security > Device Administrators) seems to make sense.

I've read in some LG G2 forum that when the person renamed The sensors.qcom in the root files, he lost his accelerometer so this makes sense that google is constantly tracking our devices in the background.

Lastly I noticed a huge improvement in my overall battery life!!

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 dsfh 3/28/14 11:43 AM
I have the same issue on my Nexus 7 (old version). Android OS kept the tabet awake for 21 hours and drained 61% of the battery. Android 4.2.2

Is there a open bug for this issue?

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/28/14 1:24 PM
I did a bug report. now - what do I do with it?
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 3/28/14 7:02 PM
When it appears on https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list , then by all means identify it for us so we can star it, comment on it and build critical mass. Until then, do feel warm and fuzzy inside for contributing.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/29/14 2:11 AM
I can already feel the warmth and love of my fellow sufferers. 
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67891&thanks=67891&ts=1396084225
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 3/29/14 2:32 AM
Great. Starred. I'll post my own report, too, as soon as my phone decides to pull another all-nighter.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 3/29/14 2:39 AM
BTW, if I'm reading these lines correctly, slimport was mostly sleeping on your device:

name                            count    expire_count    wake_count   active_since    total_time         sleep_time                max_time    last_change
"slimport_wake_lock"    16319    0                     0                  96078131    36854898798233    35858027403078    2332183731    36856231041179

Which means the culprit is probably something else. Someone else complained about qcom_rx, and it did spend quite some time awake, but not that much:

"qcom_rx_wakelock"    2099    2099                   0                     0                    97222624807    5791680234        1871275752     36855197926575

Puzzling.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/29/14 6:18 AM
I think its sort of the other way around.
slimport wakelock never expires and also according the wakelock detector - slimport is "alive" all the time - qcom_rx is barely active.

and as this SS shows, the device actually "never" sleeps. it's constantly awake. because of the lovely slimport :)

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ariel Karlinsky 3/30/14 9:43 AM
Gustavo and the others - did any one of you by chance replace his USB port? because I found this:

and his solution to this:
"Thanks for the response, it was Android OS. It ended up being a hardware issue in the end, swapped out the replacement USB port and problem vanished."

Because that's exactly what happend to me. my charge port was not working and I replaced it(at a professional place, not by myself). Tommorow I'll go to the place where I changed it and see if he can help me. maybe this bit of info can help you too...
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 mpwrg4 3/30/14 5:19 PM
Many with the battery drain issues. My G4 with OS v 4.4.2 also draining battery. Using about 30-37% when idle. Seems like Google peeps could have this fixed by now.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Santiago Del Bono 4/1/14 9:00 PM
Hey guys,

I have a Moto X running stock 4.4.2 and I suffer the Android OS battery issue.

I just found that that is related with the wifi.

During night in my house wifi Connected it just drain 0,4% per hour (2 minutes awake after  hours disconnected) , but in my office where I am with wifi too but with a lot of repeaters and Hotspot where for some reason (I guess that android could not handle very well environments were exists a wifi crowd) I don't have good signal with my phone even when the router is just a few meters away the battery drain increase a lot and the Android OS keep the phone awake almost all the time.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ram130 4/1/14 9:21 PM
WiFi is not the cause of this issue.

It's related to Location, Google Now and Android Device Manager. Each having it's role to play. Sometimes each on its own.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Santiago Del Bono 4/1/14 9:33 PM
I have Google Now Totally off as well as the location services.

In my case the wifi seems to be related. At least in how can Android could handle the conection in certain circumstances.

In my house I have a drain of 0.4%/h in my office 4% in same situation. The only factor that change is the wifi environment.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ecMan 4/1/14 10:05 PM
I have Google now, location, and device manager enabled on all my devices, and have no issues with battery drain. It has to be either something else, or some edge case combination, which may explain the lack of answers from Google.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ram130 4/2/14 4:27 AM
In your case, WiFi yes.  For 60% others. No.

Either way. I have all the above enabled on my Nexus 7 and it's Android OS is near 4-11%.  I had the same issue on my N7.  I fixed it.T Somehow I've been trying to reproduce it so I can have a concrete solution. So far I've narrowed it to those items.

Funny thing is on my friends S3, my tips worked.

The best part? I got a Nexus 10 showing the high Android OS. Finally. So I've been testing my own tips. So far. Like some others here, my tips didn't successfully work, fully. But it got reduced to 3hr awaken time over 3days. If I'm correct others should see similar results after doing the tips. Reduced CPU time but still high awake time. You can view these by going to the battery stats and hitting Android OS for more details.

On a brighter note, my friend got a Nexus 5 and enabled Google now along with all 3 options I mentioned. So far his Android OS is low, with a CPU time of 3min after 3hrs.

On my Moto X, it's CPU time is 1hr after 15hr stand by. Or 25%. It all seems related some how. Either way this phone is a different case and I'm working with Moto to resolve it.

Anyway. I know I'm close. Got two more solutions I want to test before adding it to that Battery Tips thread, or if you guys want I could write a blog post instead. Haven't given up.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 4/2/14 6:07 AM
Ariel, my hardware is as stock as it gets, my phone has never been serviced. Since the problem came soon after the kitkat update (and the plethora of app updates to leverage new functionalities), happens randomly and only when wifi is turned on, I'd wager on a software issue or, if hardware related, which I find unlikely, then something to do wth the wifi antenna or radio. Do keep me posted, please, if you try replacing your slimport and it works.

ram130, many of us are having issues with the phone's awake status - CPU time doesn't seem to be a factor. We are also not talking about minor battery gains - not even doubling battery life -, we're talking about the whole battery being drained in about 7 hours when the device is inactive. Your solutions, however valid they may be, are more akin to standard battery saving tips, and I believe we're talking about a phone-breaking bug.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ram130 4/2/14 7:10 AM
Gustavo Pinto : Hey man. I'm only trying. Having did alot of tests and collecting info. I'm trying. I know those 3 tips would help a good amount of people while others like your self it wouldn't. I've tested it both from the devices mention. I published them to get it out and see user feedback. As you could see it was mainly for the X.

I've been doing testing and research since November or so. Because reproducing the issues after the solution was hard.

Anyway. Nexus 10 test was a success. Android OS is now low again, awake time has gone and CPU time is now inline about 1min/hr. Stand by hourly drain is now 0.1%/hr and ADM and location is on again. :). Still testing and monitoring.

To confirm, everyone here or those that can reply. When your experiencing this issue. In your battery stats, how does your Android OS look? What does it say for CPU TIME and Awake time after 5hrs?

Screens shots are good. Just to want to confirm things.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Joe Owens 4/3/14 2:13 PM
I tried this and the results have been amazing. Since my phone mostly "sleeps" unless i'm actively using it during the day, it's forced all app and android updates to occur when charging overnight. I went from charging once or twice a day, to every 3 days since implementing these changes.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Santiago Del Bono 4/3/14 6:11 PM
I just deactivate the ADM, Google Now and all gps services.

Android OS is still at the top of the list with 28% (1h58m of cpu) and then with 26% the screen (1h40m)

I have 40% of battery with 14h13m of uptime. I used 90% of the time wifi and I have the 3G/2G turned off.

Really bad performance from my point of view.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 piyach 4/3/14 7:45 PM
If I can manage to have 40% battery after 14h+ uptime, I won't complain anymore. For my case, I have less than 20% battery with around 8h uptime  but with normal phone use (some voice call, some social apps, some browser use with 3G&WIFI turn on all the time)

After several experiments with setting and modifying. I found that deactivate ADM remote location is the most effective way to stop battery drain. Even if I completely turn off location service but not ADM remote location, my battery still drain. Have tried Wakelock terminator to block all known location wakelock such as NlpWakeLock &ETC. but still not effective as deactivate ADM remote location alone.

Now I'm settling with ADM remote location turn off, Location as High accuracy, Location report & history turn off. I'll try to use this config for awhile, if it's not enough then I'll enable Wakelock teminator again.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 piyach 4/3/14 8:01 PM
Thanks for ADM tips. I just found that disable ADM remote location is most effective way for my case. I've tried disabling entire location service, try to stop wakelock with Wakelock Terminator and so on, my battery still drain. 

Just disable ADM remote location and location report&history turned off, I can enable high accuracy location service, not using Wakelock terminator anymore and I found my battery drain is significantly less than before.

I'll try this setting for a while, will report back if it's OK for long term.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Santiago Del Bono 4/4/14 7:38 AM
Hi Piyach, 20% of bat after 7hs?? seems to be caotic.

Do you have those numbers wifi connected or 3g? what about the screen time?

My girlfriend has a Moto G and yesterday after 13H of uptime, 3 hours of screen, localization services ON (GPS off) and ADM on, the phone still has 50% of battery adn the Android OS was very low!!!!.

Moto X sucks compared with Moto G

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 piyach 4/4/14 8:21 AM
Yes, that bad, Santiago. But it's also my bad habit for turning both WIFI & 3G both on all the time, it's my prefer setting so I don't have to manually toggle anything cuz I travel a lot from my office around city.

Today I test with ADM by turn it off , I manage to get 40% batt after 10h. with WIFI&3G on all the time, screen on time is around 1-2h with around 30min of voice call. It's not good but bearable for a day. And YES, Android OS still high on my battery consume list, accounted for around 15-25% and Android system accounted for another 10% no matter what I try to config it.

Our only hope may be 4.4.3
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Santiago Del Bono 4/4/14 8:43 AM
Piyach, I ll solve you part of your problem and you ll see how your battery will improve.

Download the WiFi Matic app, is a small app that just automatically turn on adn off your wifi as well as the data connection when your are conected to a WIFI network.
Basically use the carrier cells to identify if you are close to a wifi network that you prevously used and turn on the wifi, if the connection is succefully, then the app will turn of the data connection. As soon as your are being disconnected from the wifi network, the data connection turn on. The good thing is that also will turno off the wifi when you get away from a wifi network. The system just pull every 10 minutes (you can customize that) the carrier cell ti identify if you are close to a "know" wifi network, if you are, then, will turn on the wifi connection. This doesnt has any impact to the battery since use the carrier cells and do not use the GPS.

I add 40% more of bat time with that app, I love that app.

Try it an let me know.

Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 piyach 4/4/14 8:46 AM
Thanks, Santiago, I'll try it and let you know the result.
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Tarun kumar1995 4/4/14 10:23 AM
Turn off the developer options and hotword detection....maybe it will help
Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Tarun kumar1995 4/4/14 10:23 AM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Marc Morrisette 4/9/14 10:49 AM
I can vouch for this.  I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 which was recently updated to Kitkat, and I have the exact same issue.  It is random too...some nights I will wake up after sleeping 9 hrs, and my battery will be at 96-97% (that is normal).  Other nights, I will wake up and it will be at 40%.  This happened last night, when the night before was fine (and I didn't even use the phone yesterday).  I just looked, "Android OS" was way at the top of the battery usage list, and "keep awake" was 12 hours.  This is a software problem, it has nothing to do with hardware.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Ali Kord 4/10/14 9:52 PM
"I've been rebooting the phone every two days or so. I installed Greenify app that shuts certain apps down. I also turn off Bluetooth and for location I put it at the lowest setting before bedtime. If you have any LED light notifications I'd put those to sleep overnight. They drain the battery. So far so good."

Thanks a lot for sharing that. Although, I will remember this next time I preach to an iPhone user to migrate to Android! ;)
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Motti Bembaron 4/11/14 11:33 AM
Try to take off Google+ and you will see the amazing battery life. My note 2 lasts more than a day with heavy use and about 15 apps always in the background
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 ram130 4/13/14 4:49 AM
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Gustavo Pinto 4/14/14 8:02 AM
Android 4.4.3 is out. Nexus 5 owners, you're probably the first to get it, so please tell the rest of us if the issue has been addressed and the phone is consistently entering deep sleep now.
Re: Battery drained by "Android OS" since 4.4.2 update on Nexus 5 Sing51 4/14/14 3:23 PM
This worked for me. Thanks!
More topics »