Categories: Using the camera : Nexus 4 :

NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug!

Showing 1-80 of 80 messages
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Sedat Guelcan 11/25/13 6:31 AM
I'm disappointed with a new 4.4 update. I was using it without problems with the 4.3 version. 

Now there are a few bugs I focused:

1.  When I use the camera and shoot a photo, the Nexus 4 reboots itself after 2-3 seconds. This is the main problem! Please fix this as soon as possible.

2. It was faster when I used Jelly Bean. On 4.4 Nexus 4 is much more slower than before.

3. home-back touchscreen has a frame size buffer problem. When I quit an app with the home button it still blinks...

4. Laucher is not like on Nexus 5? Wallpapers didn't changed? It still looks like on Jelly Bean 4.3. Just the battery icons color changed to white.

I'm really disappointed with the new kitkat update. I want back to Jelly Bean 4.3. I'm using the KRT16S firmware.  Please google release a new update, a 4.4.1 just for the bug fixes. I can't even shoot a photo cause my device reboots itself after I took the photo!!! 

I used before the Nexus S. I remember that the camera bug I had also on it when I updated it to 4.2. Please help me! I regret it that I updated it to kitkat. I had no problems with 4.3...

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Sedat Guelcan 11/25/13 6:50 AM
I explored even more bugs on the camera. When I take a photo it has a different noise inside. When I try to take a second time I can't see the blue button. I tried the camera even on the safety mode but it still rebooted. 
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Ralph Jernie Panganiban 11/25/13 11:35 PM
i also have this problem while using the camera
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Soham Aurangabadkar 11/30/13 1:39 AM
I noticed that the Facebook app crashes a lot. This happen to any of you?
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Vikas Nawal 12/1/13 8:17 AM
completely agree with above mentioned problems, I am also facing same problem
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Vikas Nawal 12/1/13 8:17 AM
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! kevtop 12/1/13 9:06 AM
What kind of screw job is google trying to pull off, as I don't see anything different with this upgrade? The ability to go back to the original factory reset GPS search has disappeared. I can't help feeling like this is a loosing proposition. Shame on Google!
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Katy Pearce 12/1/13 9:21 AM
I have the camera reboot bug too.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! karthikeyan sn 12/2/13 12:05 AM
Yes.. The camera app crashes and reboots. Before it rebooted there was some flickering. Also i was unable to switch between the front camera and the rear camera for sometime.
Also the phone heats up a lot after upgrading to Kitkat.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Sacit 12/2/13 8:45 AM
also i have trouble with camera after kitkat. reboot itself sometimes, camera menu sucks can not easy to choose menu items, also when taking a picture no any simulation that feel picture taken. also a lot bugs. calling screen goes dark while calling etc. many thinks... I wish i wouldnt..

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! H Mishra 12/3/13 2:04 AM
I have the same issue with camera it make weird noise while clicking pic and then reboot itself android 4.4 all stock
Michele Mascia 12/3/13 10:43 AM <This message has been deleted.>
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Michele Mascia 12/3/13 10:49 AM
I have the same problem when i take a photo with flash. And the quality of the photos is low.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Daniel Nastase 12/4/13 5:03 AM
I have this behavior too: phone reboots when taking pictures. But it's even worse: one or two pictures previously taken are NOT saved on the disk prior to the reboot so they get lost too !! Very disturbing :(
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! RedmanOPG 12/7/13 8:39 AM
Just noticed some bugs not mentioned also.  When starting the camera from  lockscreen after about 5 secs the screen started scrolling!  From to to bottom to be exact, it was also experiencing the green flickering lines.  After a reboot, I launched the app from my nav bar and tried to take the aforementioned pic in hdr mode, after the first shot the camera continued to take shot after shot until exciting the app.  Wth!!
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! RedmanOPG 12/7/13 8:40 AM
*top to bottom
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! blackmail 12/8/13 5:44 AM
an 4.4.1 same issues with camere strange sound and restart...
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! ahmet uğur 12/8/13 2:19 PM
Bendede kamera sorunu var fotoğraf çektikten sonra resimlere bakarken telefondan garip sesler geliyor ve telefon kapaniyor
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Steven Archibald 12/10/13 7:27 PM
I get the same big only I can take pictures fine switch to video fine but after I hit the shutter button click from the optics and reboot.

:C

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Richard Szampor 12/11/13 12:30 PM
Hi!
I have the same problem on my Nexus 4. I am uses Kitkat 4.4.2 (the newest android). On 4.3 wasn't this kind of behaviour.
Sometimes when I try to take a picture the screen gets frozen and reboot the phone after 3-4 seconds.

BR
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! srivijay mavuri 12/12/13 5:30 AM
same issue, when I try to take pic nexus 4 kitkat 4.4.2 rebooting.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Arun V Naik 12/13/13 3:14 AM
I received the 4.4.2 update today and noticed a strange behaviour where the camera makes a weird sound(like a spark) while focusing on macro shots especially in night mode(or with flash on) and the phone hangs and then restarts after double tapping(zoom) on the captured pic immediately a couple of times. This has happened in both ART and dalvik runtimes. Before you suggest that I try this in safe mode, I'd like to say that I have already done that and noticed that it recurs there as well. Factory reset is not a viable option for me. Kindly fix this bug in the next update. I have read on a couple of forums and blogs like xda and many nexus 4 users are reporting this issue and apparently, factory reset isn't helping the cause.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Daniel He 12/13/13 6:06 PM
I can't believe this issue still exists. The Snapchat/Skype/camera reboot bug has been present ever since 4.3 and is still present on 4.4.2
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Prashant Goel 12/15/13 3:17 PM
Exactly same prob on my nexus... Still waiting for n and frm Google or n update/fix... :/
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! karthikeyan sn 12/15/13 7:51 PM
The android 4.4.2 update is annoying too. The camera issue still exists even after 2 bug fix updates..

The phone reboots when I try to take pictures with the HDR mode on.. And the pics taken with HDR takes around 5 seconds for a single snap to save. Really frustrated with kitkat..

Along with the camera I found a few other issues
1. the default launcher fails to scroll properly and the folders fail to pop open.
2. The 'x Remove' won't go off sometimes.
3. The location issues too slow or won't show up your current location at all.
4. The battery was really good when I had 4.3 on my phone but now its the opposite.

And still counting ...

Is there any way to switch back to 4.3 ?

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Paul Eccleston 12/17/13 8:15 AM
yep my wife has also updated to the latest version of kitkat on her nexus 4 and the camera randomly causes the phone to reboot, come on google sort this out!!!!
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! darrenkopp 12/17/13 3:23 PM
My wife is having the same problem on her phone. Sometimes the phone doesn't successfully reboot either so you have to hold power button to turn it off and then back on again.
P.C.F. 12/17/13 3:36 PM <This message has been deleted.>
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! P.C.F. 12/17/13 3:39 PM
I'm also experiencing the issue of the Nexus 4 rebooting or powering off randomly when using the phone app.  I haven't noticed a noise, but may just not have heard it.  This problem occurred  with 4.3 also, I'd just hoped KitKat would fix it & even reset my phone when I got the upgrade so that I'd have a fresh start.  I dare say it's happening more frequently since the 4.4 & 4.4.2 updates tho.  It's not consistent either; sometimes it happens after the first photo (like today, I snapped and was reviewing the pic when it redire rebooted without warning), other times I may have been using the app for fifteen minutes and it happens).  PLEASE fix this, Google.
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Joakim Lundström 12/21/13 1:06 PM
I've also got this reboot-issue after 4.4 update. Please fix as soon as possible!
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Darre82 12/22/13 3:39 AM
Same problem here with the camera random reboots i think this has something to do with camera/gallery apps please look in to this.
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Marco Grasso 12/22/13 3:28 PM
I have the same problem with my Nexus 4.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Ralph Jernie Panganiban 12/22/13 6:00 PM
still have this problem even on 4.4.2 on my nexus 4
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Saket Katkar 12/24/13 3:28 AM
As far as launcher is concerned,download Google Experience Launcher(GEL). You will get the same feel as the Nexus 5.
And i think the Camera app reboot is due to the gallery. Clear all cache of the gallery app.
Settings -->Apps -->All -->Gallery and then Clear Cache
Hope this will solve the issue for you..!!
Do let me know..!!
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Roger Leitch 12/29/13 3:44 AM
I also have the reboot problems.

Could be related to automatic upload to Google plus as it happens after taking several pictures.

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! corey rosenburg 12/30/13 4:45 PM
the camera trick worked for me, Thanks! 

i'm not having any issues with the launcher. 
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Daniel He 12/31/13 11:46 AM
It's not the automatic upload, it's an issue with the Nexus 4 camera API. 

Nic Dahlquist, a dev from the Snapchat team has been in contact with Google and made these statements:

"Here's a list of known issues: Nexus 4: Random reboots. Google is working on this"

"They had told us that 4.4 would fix the issue, but obviously it didn't. Hopefully the new camera API will it, but I don't have any new information.
Yes, the bug was introduced in 4.3. Our attention has been focused elsewhere, but we can check up on their progress."

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! prabhakar v 12/31/13 8:45 PM
I'm having this issue after the 4.4.2 update. Using the camera, shuts down the Nexus 4 totally. If I try to restart it, it will startup, but would shutdown after a while.
However this doesn't happen when the phone is connected to the power source, while charging.
I have tried cleaning the cache, but the problem persists.
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Andres Blasco Arnáiz 1/1/14 9:29 AM
The bug of the camera is really annoying, and you should fix it.
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! parth garg 1/5/14 12:53 PM
Same Happening with me.. I got worried when my nexus rebooted creating a Spark sound after some macro shots..

All other things r working good for me..

NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! parth garg 1/5/14 12:53 PM
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! FNog 1/10/14 7:02 AM
Same here. Creepy mechanical noise and reboot.
Seems to happen when the camera is fighting to focus.

Since more people report this, and I suspect it can physically damage the camera, I'll keep using the motorolla camera app that I have installed for several months, with which I had no problems whatsoever. 
I'll just use google's for photospheres and hdr (when really necessary).
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! CoriCali 1/10/14 8:51 PM
I'm having the same issue. Phone freezes, then reboots when taking a photo. And using the flash guarantees it to happen every time! 
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! steevithak 1/11/14 4:29 PM
Same problem here, since updating my Nexus 4 to kitkat, using the camera causes Android to reboot. I usually notice the weird popping/sparking sound followed by either a lockup or spontaneous reboot. Sometimes I can get two or three shots before it crashes, other times it crashes during the first shot. Anyone know if there's a bug filed on this (have a link?) or if a fix is in the works?
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Cameron Logan 1/12/14 5:50 AM
I have the same problem. I think if you downgrade to 4.3 the Bugs will go away.
Richard Szampor 1/12/14 6:31 AM <This message has been deleted.>
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Richard Szampor 1/12/14 6:33 AM
Try the mentioned workaround.
For me it worked. I haven't observed the bug so far after i did the workaround (4 weeks).
1. Applications-camera
2. Delete the cache.
3. Force stop the appl.
4. Exit and click on camera ikon.
5. Take pictures.
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! FNog 1/18/14 4:13 PM
Richard,
Although after cleaning the cache and killing the camera seemed to work, I just got the problem once again:low light and the camera fighting for locking a focus. Weird sound, hang and reboot.
Tried again while pointing to a powered off LCD TV (totally black) and bam! Weird sound and reboot. Repeated 2 times with the same result.
What's worse:with the Motorola camera (which I occasionally use since 4.1,i think) never had an issue. Not even on kit kat. After today's experience I disabled the Google camera (to avoid temptations) and tried again the TV o photo test with moto camera... Same result.

I'm starting to suspect that the camera is physically damaged by kit kat's update.
Has anyone rolled back to 4.3?
Someone here is saying that these problems occurred on 4.3 also but one thing I'm positive:the mechanical noise NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE KITKAT. :-(

NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Ka64 1/19/14 9:27 PM
I have the nexus 4 and the video camera is on the fritz. I don't have reboot problems, but whenever I switch from photo to video, the image becomes incredibly dark. It only started doing this after Christmas break. I've scoured the internet and my phone settings, and I can't seem to find an explanation or similar issue anywhere.
Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone found a fix or is this just another unfixed problem that came with the stupid update??
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Marco Orrù 1/21/14 6:58 PM
Same problem!! 
Laurie Dockery 1/25/14 9:47 AM <This message has been deleted.>
soundar raj.k 1/26/14 5:28 AM <This message has been deleted.>
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! soundar raj.k 1/26/14 5:55 AM
Guys me too struggled with the same problem.... And got the solution for that.... I uninstalled camscanner that's it... Now i got my nexus camera back and its perfect as before... If this didn't solve your problem try unstall some other app you have that can access the camera.... Nexus rocks...
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! soundar raj.k 1/26/14 5:57 AM
Guys me too struggled with the same problem.... And got the solution for that.... I uninstalled camscanner that's it... Now i got my nexus camera back and its perfect as before... If this didn't solve your problem try uninstall some other app you have that can access the camera.... Nexus rocks...
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Anuar Kil 2/2/14 2:54 AM
Excuse me, does your camera bug problem solved? I got the same problem, with clicking sound near the camera when it tries to autofocus. Is it hardware or software problem?
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Pecata 2/6/14 4:25 AM
Same Camera issue as everyone else. When trying to take a picture with my phone the phone freezes for 2-3sec and then reboots itself. This very annoying to the point where my camera is useless. My phone rebooted 3 times yesterday while I was trying to take 3 pictures of my newborn daughter. Google please fix this! I am running stock 4.4.2 not rooted.
Something I have noticed before the the reboot is a clicking sound coming from the back of the device like the camera was having trouble focusing...
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Richard Szampor 2/6/14 6:16 AM
Hi,

Try this hint:

1. When you take a picture do not click on the right corner up on the picture itself. (Galery will try to open it)

2. I do not like google Galery because it is not working well. But you must keep it for saving pictures.

3. If you want to check, modify or delete the taken picture then do it with different picure application (like. QuickPic).
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Eilish Murray-Bremner 2/8/14 4:11 PM
Does any one else's camera say SD card needed???
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Nplus1 2/16/14 3:59 AM
Same thing here!
On Jelly Bean I used to have problems only sometimes when processing a photosphere (phone would reboot) but KitKat brought 10 times more problems so basically the stock camera app is useless.

What is particularly annoying is that 3rd party apps work without any issues!!!

I'm starting to think maybe it's better to get one update per year on an HTC or a Samsung but at least KNOW the update was thoroughly tested and it doesn't break essential functions of a smartphone like call quality, camera, etc.

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Marco Orrù 2/16/14 6:56 PM
You have to take that seriously google this problem! The camera is unusable with kiktak!!
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Amirhossein Najafi 2/19/14 1:14 AM
It happened to me a lot.
Please fix it Google !
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Vahid Jafari 2/19/14 3:09 AM
what are you doing guys !? 
fix this sh!t please asap !!!!!!
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! rwb2073 2/26/14 2:02 PM
I'm getting reboots even when using led "flashlight" apps.  C'mon G.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! rwb2073 2/27/14 5:14 PM
Does anyone know any possible workaround for this?  Uninstall the default camera?  ART runtime?  I've had to go back to 4.2 until this is sorted. :(
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Richard Szampor 2/28/14 12:35 AM
Hi all,

Please note: if you use 3rd Party Apps it might cause any error -> Flashlight apps.
Use SwissArmy knife app for flashlight it does not cause any problem. I use it for 5 months and no error so far by that.

The nexus reboots by the camera app. It does not true. The nexus reboots because of the Gallery app (Google Gallery App). When camera takes the picture and want to save by the Gallery app it causes a malfunction.

Or it happens when you take a picture it created but you want to click on it in the upper right corner to check it. Sorry but you should avoid to this checking. Please take photos and if you want to check them use other app for that action. Like QuickPic. I use this app all the time when I browse in pictures in my Nexus 4. This QuickPic is the best for checking photos/pictures. It's a big shame but that could be a small workaround.

Cheers
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! FNog 2/28/14 1:40 AM
Still think we're all having damaged smartphones.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Richard Szampor 2/28/14 1:44 AM
In every elekcronical stuff could be any error.

Try to see around in the Play for better camera app. And set the Google ones disable.
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! jorythompson 2/28/14 5:13 AM
My wife found our problem with the camera not saving pictures... The pictures are actually being saved, but out of order. We are in Greece (no Internet connection on our sprint phones) and our times are all fouled up. The pictures are definitely being saved (thank goodness) but you have to look for them out of order.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Lika N 3/6/14 4:58 AM
Thanks! It worked for me too.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Daniel Nastase 3/6/14 4:46 PM
Actually besides the reboot my camera developed a new "feature": in the Camera app I doesn't focus and doesn't take pictures anymore.
I have to reboot it myself to make it work again :(

That is for a phone that's not even 6 months old for me (Nexus 4). What ? Am I going to need to buy a new one in order to get the functionality that it's supposed to have ??

Very disappointing !
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! a nexus 4 owner 3/12/14 7:14 PM
This problem also happens to my nexus 4 and my wife's nexus 4, both run kitkat 4.4.2. Each time we use Skype to chat with video, the phones reboot after a few minutes. The phones also reboot from time to time when we take pictures with the stock camera app.

Please fix it, Google! It's a shame that this bug's been around for so long.

Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Daniel He 3/13/14 6:32 PM
I have started an AOSP bug report. Please star it and comment to help it get noticed.
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Taylor crustacean 3/18/14 9:14 AM
just wanted to stop in to say I've been dealing with this bug since 4.3. Now im on 4.4.2 and im still having random reboots. Snapchat stories do it, and a lot of other camera apps. Im lucky enough to have a functioning stock camera app.
I've posted here once before. It's been months. Google please fix my nexus 4 :[
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Avinash Sailesh 3/20/14 1:21 PM
Exactly but the problem is I had this first was On 5th Jan. N it happens ever so often. When I created a post about it Google shut it down n redirected me to another post for nexus 5 camera with a different problem. Google has been annoying me for so long. Aaarrgh google fix this now.
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Christina Vanier 3/20/14 3:34 PM <This message has been deleted.>
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Marco Orrù 3/20/14 6:22 PM
Googleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee fix pls!!!!!
NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Joakim Lundström 3/26/14 11:48 AM
Very annoying bug and it's been present for a long time now! Please fix it!
Re: NEXUS 4 kitkat update camera-bug! Kathleen Santlal 4/9/14 11:22 AM
perfect, it works
More topics »