Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work?

Showing 1-15 of 15 messages
Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? SoulYogaWebsite 12/7/12 3:12 PM
I tried blocking a couple of 'price listing' farm sites using the 'Block unwanted sites' in Search settings.  But they still come up in search results?  Is this just another Google feature that doesn't work?  Or am I not understanding '...block unwanted sites from your search results'?
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? Shannon... 12/7/12 5:15 PM
Hey SoulYogaWebsite,

Perhaps you've seen this discussion on the same subject:

It's looks like it's been an ongoing issue, but the Google Tech Team is working on it.

Hopefully they'll resolve it soon.

Enjoy your day,

Note:  You've probably already checked this out:

Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? SoulYogaWebsite 12/7/12 8:15 PM
Shannon, that thread started back in March.  If the Site Blocking doesn't work (and indeed the team has been working on it since then - which I do not believe as it has worked perfectly well in the past) then why is there STILL the option to block unwanted sites?

You referencing http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1210386 is actually quite amusing as that is exactly the support page i used to try and set up the blocking which doesn't work.  I mentioned it to my husband, who is an automation test something, and he said that Google is plagued by untested stuff.  Why don't Google test things before putting them on?
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? Matt Storms 12/7/12 8:23 PM
Okay I will weigh in. Yes there is an issue, it is known, it is not fixed as of yet and nothing is ever 100% perfect. I know that Google knows about this, that is why I am here. Let's give it some time and I will escalate this for this to be reviewed. Please do me a favor and come back Soul and we will see what we can fix and get a solid answer to you.  
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? jscher2000 12/8/12 2:43 PM
Hi SoulYogaWebsite, the interim workaround is to use an extension and/or userscript to handle your blocking. You may have seen this post in the other thread, but it was fairly far down, so perhaps not: http://productforums.google.com/d/msg/websearch/wHfIUSqFRzg/_JS_8KmGnGwJ

Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? Kousha N. 12/11/12 6:50 AM
Hi all,

This was a known issue a while back -- I can check out and see if it's stil reproducible. I don't have a timeline, but I'll give you updates as necessary.

-Kousha
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? SoulYogaWebsite 12/12/12 2:36 PM
If the functionality does not work then why is the ability to use that functionality there?  Reading a whole load of posts about this issue it has been like this since at least March 2012.  There have been cynical posts saying that it is not in Google's interest to block sites that could be revenue earners.  As the blocking is not exactly complicated functionality and it has been working in the past I am starting to adopt this view.
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? SoulYogaWebsite 12/13/12 1:14 AM
Mr Scher, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Usually I do not install 3rd party stuff as it is usually just plain dodgy.  However, this was driving me up the wall and I read on another thread that re-enabling the block would invalidate Google's terms with sites that pay it lots of money.  So, I bit the bullet and tried your Hit Hider.

Fantastic.  Brilliant.  Well thought out, well presented and does what it says on the box.

Thankyou Jefferson, have a beer on me :-)
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? Kousha N. 12/15/12 1:03 PM
Good work Jefferson! Glad to hear it helped you SoulYogaWebsite -- kudos for returning and saying "thanks."

Take care.
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? pawl 12/23/12 10:09 AM
I would guess that because many users had their compiled list of blocked sites, google doesn't want to "throw the baby out with the bathwater," so to speak. Thus, it remains visible (if not operable).

Still, it would a nice thing if google would post a note on the appropriate pages re the known issue; this would save people from wasting time trying to find out why the function's not working.

Right, google reps?
(unknown) 12/25/12 8:03 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? Chris Routh 12/25/12 8:07 AM
I'm not sure why they're taking so long to fix it but they better fix it soon. I'm finding I have to go to Bing and Yahoo to avoid the spam sites Google is plagued with these days. I was searching for 'bunt cake' recipes the other day and some 'videosexarchive' spammed the results with two pages of results because the page generates false results based on whatever search you type. Worst of all I could not block the crap to see what I wanted. 

The first two pages were irrelevant spam. Google, we have a problem. 
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? neuemage 1/3/13 11:20 AM
Just install into chrome ;)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/personal-blocklist-by-goo/nolijncfnkgaikbjbdaogikpmpbdcdef/related?hl=en-US&utm_source=chrome-ntp-launcher
lets you block all subdomains

Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? blitzd 1/21/13 10:38 AM
I've also started using Bing over Google because of this issue. 
Re: Why doesnt blocking unwanted results work? sanitysama 2/23/13 11:54 AM
a few weeks ago it seemed to be fully implemented and functioning again, yet at some point recently, it's been removed completely. the help topics are gone and you can no longer block results. thanks for the cocktease google.

i know for whatever ridiculous reason google's been trying to phase this option out, but there was no reason to suddenly bring it back after a year of it being gone just to take it down again. i spent some time filtering sites i hate seeing come up in my results. now all that time i spent doing that was wasted. thanks for nothing.