Categories: Crawling, indexing & ranking :

Can Press Releases count as spam links?

Showing 1-36 of 36 messages
Can Press Releases count as spam links? MT-28 12/23/12 4:23 PM
I've read the FAQs and searched the help center. 

Hi,

I am wanting to issue a press release about our new site and product, however, I noticed that there is a lot of talk about getting penalized if too many links point to a website too quick.

I am researching press release companies to make sure the one I choose only sends the PR out to legit news media and online media, but I do not want to get penalized if they link to my website.

Does anyone have any advice about this?

Thank you,

Lynn

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? seo101 12/23/12 4:45 PM
Yes, if the news is not really "news" and the purpose of the press release is just to get backlinks to the site.
No, if the news really is "news" and the purpose of the press release is to provide journalists with information for a story.

....as to how well the Google algorithm is as detecting the difference between the two, then that is open to debate. But over time the algorithm will improve and get better as distinguishing between the two.

As for being penalized, unlikely. At worse all that happens is the links will be ignored as a ranking signal. They only way you could get penalized by this is the pattern of all the links to the website are gained by this self promotional link building techniques.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? seo101 12/23/12 4:46 PM
BTW, "I noticed that there is a lot of talk about getting penalized if too many links point to a website too quick"

Its just talk. If a video or web site go 'viral', they do not get penalized for getting too many links too quickly, so its a myth.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? MT-28 12/24/12 12:03 PM
 I am not looking to build links; I just wanted to issue the press release but did not want any incoming links to hurt my site.  Thank you for the info, Merry Christmas
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? travler 12/24/12 12:08 PM
Major media can often set any links in online version to nofollow. 

And yes, if a legitimate news story, then send direct to media, and the appropriate editor.

Email works best with a good subject line, Faxes are ignored as a rule. Just too many of them to wade through.

Major media tend to use a release as the basis to write the story in their style, for their audience.

Online press releases are often copied verbatim, and appear on scraper sites.

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Matt_Cutts 12/25/12 2:13 PM
Note: I wouldn't expect links from press release web sites to benefit your rankings, however.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? MT-28 12/25/12 9:19 PM
Merry Christmas Matt!

Thank you for the post.  I was not looking for press release links to "help" my rankings.  I am hoping to get traffic from word of mouth of the press release.  I feel we have been hit by Panda or Penguin because of massive links to my site in the past. Some were from a company we worked with that practiced bad seo practices we were not aware of, others are sites linking to our site from inappropriate sites.

We have been disavowing all of the links.

However,  I did not want new links from a press release counting as spam links because we have worked hard to fix the previous mess, and did not want a new one created if the press release company has links pointing to the website.

It sounds like I need to ask them to either not create a direct link within the online copy of the PR, or if they do, to "no follow" before I choose a company to go through for the PR.

Thanks again for the personal answer.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Internet Marketing Freak 12/27/12 8:03 AM
@Maat_Cutts, how you can say links from press release cannot effect your rankings?
PR can generate traffic for your website thus if you have traffic on your website, people coming from pr traffic can share your website on other social media. Then in that sense PR can increase your rankings. :)

Hard Core SEO :P
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Lysis 12/27/12 8:35 AM
^ I bet your clients have you to thank for their Penguin curb stomp.  Head of Webspam Team > your "hard core" SEO
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? mcgids n#l 12/27/12 8:56 AM
If matt posts something. consider it true.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Jarrod Wright 12/27/12 9:09 AM
Worrying about press release links on Christmas Matt? Have some eggnog and take a break pal. 
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Diptimayee Mohanty 12/27/12 9:13 AM
I don't think Google will penalize a site for just adding press release, but chances are there that many press release sites are asking for money to add press releases which Google can take negatively. Am not sure whether Google will take that press release link as a paid link or not.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? StevieD_Web 12/27/12 10:24 AM
Matt posting on Christmas, is this getting to be a tradition around here?
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? vineetwaldia 12/27/12 10:31 AM
Matt thought in Christmas no one would think about SEO and Links so he updated this to make the industry working :P

Also, matt got a reciprocal link on link page from Santa as gift, rather from home page.

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? StevieD_Web 12/27/12 11:37 AM
you do realize that links on these pages are nofollow tagged?
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? mcgids n#l 12/27/12 11:42 AM
almost all press release sites do a nofollow on external links. so this is why it doesnt pass pagerank and that's why it wont help you.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? socialamigo 12/28/12 11:29 AM
Agree here with seo101. 

Press releases are a lame SEO strategy. Anyone doing this (or selling this) should be penalized.

On the other hand, press releases with social tidbits; videos, links to blogs, blog/vlogcasts, and hard links to specific background information that make the media's job easier and more interesting (and get you or your clients more facetime), very "not lame."

Work smarter and harder.

socialamigo
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? JorgeCunha 12/28/12 4:44 PM
Hi Matt,

Assuming that a company or brand and their marketing content is done with propose to inform consumers and they create original content to in their digital ecosystem for example:

• In the Company site a new product page with specific title and description of features and best pratices 
    • link to images (file naming convention name_category_number)
  • In the company research category Team Z developes a new product putting  their latest technology 
    • Link to product page a to image link
    • link to research team with specific category (example: Cleanning)
  • In the Company blog titled new product with Z features ( with specific images and text and product page)
    • Relevant text 
    • Link to product page
    • link to image in product page
    • shared in social networks ( Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook Page)
  • In a Press Release Site a Press Release about Company XYZ developes new Product incorporation of their latest research technology (original content)
    • Link to product page of company website
    • link to image in product page of company website
    • link to research article about the new product of the company website
  • In the Company site in the News the Our new product in the news 
    • Link to the Press Release
    • link to image in product page of company website
    • link to research article about the new product of the company website
    • link to research team with specific category (example: Cleanning)
notes: assuming that all have friendly SEO URLS 

These can be a good content strategy to a brand. (In this case can links on the Press Release Site, can harm even the Press Release site has a good reputation in Google Index?)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 

Boas Festas e Boas Entradas no Ano Novo!

Jorge Cunha 

From Portugal

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Ash Nallawalla 12/28/12 5:29 PM
Note carefully what Matt said. He is talking about the links from the press release website itself. Press releases will always continue to be what they always were -- hints for media reporters to create a story. Some news outlets (very few) will include a do-follow link; a few more will un-follow them; the majority will either not include a URL or not hot-link it. At best you can hope for a citation from a genuine news outlet.

At one time some people used to submit press releases to dozens of sites that were poor imitations of PRWeb or PR Newswire. If you are generating dozens of inbound links with an identical fingerprint, then you are tempting Penguin.

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? mctscertification 12/28/12 8:14 PM
I am sure Matt idea about link from press release web referring here those site doing spam activity all the way.

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? zak.sqlserver 12/28/12 8:16 PM
Thanks Matt - noted all the stuff related to press release site.

Can Press Releases count as spam links? walid gabteni 12/29/12 1:00 AM
duplicate pr must link to the original press release, in that sense it cannot hurts your ranking. Now let says that pr doesn't linkback to the source, I believe that Google will just ignore these links that points to your website. So I don't think you have to worry about that. Duplicate press release will not hurts your site.

When Matt cuts says that press release will not help your site ranking, he's just saying that Backlinks coming from duplicate sources will not help you, but let says that you publish a "pr like" (that will not be duplicated), a link within its content will help your rankings. A Backlink is  Backlink !

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Paolo Cappucci 12/29/12 2:08 AM
Hello, since we established the concept on press releases, I would now have the same opinion about article marketing. Or, Can I write good articles and disseminated in the network? It's a good way to capture the link or NO?
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Lysis 12/29/12 8:03 AM
Article marketing has been addressed by JohnMu and it's straight-up spam for PR. It's crappy SEO done by crappy SEOs.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Paolo Cappucci 12/29/12 10:35 AM
I fully agree with you, I have finally given a complete answer. What do you think is the best method (in addition to good content) that can generate a good pr?
I ask this because I want to have certainties and assumptions.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Middle East and Iran Blog 12/29/12 8:05 PM
I personally believe that any of the following are good press release topics, i.e. press release worthy:

1)  Introducing a new company to the market

2)  Introducing a new product or product update

3)  Pointing out a certain result - for example, I saw a press release a few days ago saying something like "xyz investment yields 12%" or something along those lines.  I was interested enough to look at that and click through to the article

4)  Staff or management changes at the company - beyond just the intern of course!

I see no reason why well written, concise press releases on these topics should not be ok.

One question I have though for anyone is what if you do not have the money for an expensive paid pr news site, and therefore must stick to free press release sites?  I think there are still some good ones out there, and I get referral traffic from my press releases.  I would hope that as long as you are not posting excessive links and are using a press release to put out actual news, then using a free but high DA press release site should be ok.  That's just my opinion though - what does does anyone else think?
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? IMDuru 12/30/12 4:31 AM
Hi Lynn,
If you have a newsworthy announcement you should certainly issue a press release. Don't worry about the links. Matt is referring to people who issue press releases for the purpose of gaining backlinks. This doesn't sound like it's what you are doing. There are a ton of advantages to issuing press releases - number one is gaining visibility and traffic.Make sure you use a reputable PR site and don't worry about the links!

Hope this helps,
Happy New Year
~Shira
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Laura Martinez 1/3/13 8:46 AM
Even if you submit press-releases not to media editors directly, you should try to choose those press-release services which have high PR and more or less strict submission criteria. Those might be the hints to a respected website. However, I've never heard of Google penalizing websites for press-release links - what's the way of delivering your company/website's news than?
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? MT-28 1/3/13 2:16 PM
Thank you for all the replies.  Do you know which PR companies are reputable and will use the no-follow attribute to any links they have to my site?  You are correct, I am not wanting to build links,  I just want to get news out about our company and new products.

Thanks.
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? JorgeCunha 1/3/13 4:39 PM
Hi, 

Use one service and then link them to your content if your Online PR site is managed and is an authority.

If you want to use no follow tags you can use it in the link 

<a href="http://example.com/news/press_releases_example_001.html" rel="nofollow">no follow link example</a>

All the Best,

Jorge Cunha

Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? Barry Schwartz 1/15/13 4:25 AM
Matt, a blogger decided to test this and the rest results shows that there is a ranking benefit to doing press releases.

What do you make of this?
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? LisaZhou 1/16/13 12:02 AM
this is interesting, Matt.
 I need to know more on this.
Wes 1/18/13 4:04 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Can Press Releases count as spam links? samjc 1/23/13 5:55 PM
Very interesting, pretty much conclusively proves that press releases do not do nothing.

Why would someone down vote your post on this though?
More topics »