Categories: Crawling, indexing & ranking :

Pagerank drops from 6 to 3

Showing 1-20 of 20 messages
Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Bert12 11/16/13 2:29 PM
I've read the FAQs and searched the help center. 

I checked my pagerank recently (I hadn't done it for a couple of months) and was surprised to see it dropped from 6 to 3.
I haven't done anything differently since I created my blog some 10 years ago, i do have a couple of ads but I had them for a long time and stayed at PR6 for years. 
I do have also a lot of pictures but that's part of the interest of my stories. My readership (which is high) doesn't seem to fall with the new lowered ranking but still, it's surprising.

Is there a way to have someone at Google have a look at this oddity ?

Bert

Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Suzanneh 11/16/13 3:43 PM
Toolbar pagerank hasn't been updated in months, is broken and *might* get updated next year.  The only people interested in PR are people buying and selling links (which are against the guidelines if they aren't 'nofollow').  Forget PR. Focus on making your website outstanding.

Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 black belt 11/16/13 10:08 PM
You're lucky. For the number of dofollow backlinks you have (approximately 91,000 from 833 domains) most will get manual actions and go to zero. You should check in Webmaster Tools to see whether you have a manual action.

Suzanneh is on target about PR not being updated but I'm guessing this happened a while ago.

I think that someone here explained it well in the crafts niche. They were horrified to find out about nofollow links, a requirement that has existed for quite a while, since passing page rank between blogs was essential to the way they worked. The latest Penguin updates put an end to this practice. To give you an idea about how rampant your site is growing in PR, you gained 1,800 backlinks in one DAY in one backlink checker. It's actually the new links that they discovered , but overall it's a crazy number. 

Look in your sidebar. You've got ads/promo there that are a link exchange - I just posted Food and Wine above. They are passing rank to those sites. You're getting rank passed back from other sites because none of these links are nofollowed, a sign to let Google know that they aren't links created independently but they are links that are either your own, ads/promos or from related parties or partners.

How bad is it - what does your site have to do with the fall of western civilization.... times two?

So this site appears to be a duplicate - clearly not something Google wants - and you're getting pagerank from both of them.

You'll probably need to start taking down some of these links or having them corrected with all of these link partners and using rel=nofollow. At some point you may need to disavow links that are artificially propping up your blog . So don't be surprised if it isn't a "6" - but actually a "3" if Google's new algorithm is discounting the effect of your link network.

I think this will probably explain what you're seeing and do not forget Suzanneh's message about PR not being updated in public, probably because of link abuse.

Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Bert12 11/17/13 12:28 AM
I haven't any link exchange with any one and if people put the link to my blog it's just that they love my work. 
You indeed can fin a link to my blog from the NY Times website and from Food & Wine (along with many other blogs like mine) because they consider my work worth reading. 
I just put a link (in the sidebar) to the page of Food & Wine where they praised my work, I don't see why I souldn't.
All the links I have (except the couple of ads) are for the benefit of a given story as I try to be as informative as I can, and that's why my work is so much appreciated in the trade about which I'm writing.
I guess there's just a machine sorting things at Google because if someone really looked briefly into my work they'd understand there's not foul play.
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 black belt 11/17/13 1:12 AM
If there is a dofollow link in an article about your work, it's an editorial link that attests to your great work -- which I'm not denying. That's how Google knows you're bona fide. 

The problem is that  you see one link in a sidebar. But it is also on every single page right? So there is a page rank or "credit sending" backlink to your site on every single page, even those that don't concern you. Those pages have nothing to do with your work at all. As such, Google wants sites to note that when the will provide sitewide links like this that they are properly nofollowed. It's easy to do and both you and the other sites should be engaging in this practice. Whenever there is a link you've caused to be put up or is not editorial in nature like described above, you want it to be nofollowed.

Now I understand why you feel this isn't your problem. You don't have to do this and you can put up links they way you want. But Google set forth rules because it needs them in order to optimize search engine results. If you don't want to learn them or have someone who does take care of your website, you're proceeding at your own risk regarding every search engine. Here is some extra reading material as well. Good luck and I hope this explains it a little better.

SEO Starter Guide - http://tinyurl.com/yz64bbo

Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Bert12 11/17/13 1:36 AM
Thank you for the detailed explaination. I can understand the process intended by Google if it is automated but in my case this approach seems not to be adapted to the size and pertinence of the content. If an individual check could be made they'd certainly treat the pagerank differently.

I understand that they have a policy at Google to fight off link farms, I just wanted to know about this because obviously I don't have any link exchange (people often ask and I always said no). 
My website has a huge content and the number of links is a consequence. Links to my site come from both major websites "NY Times and Food & Wine) and unknown bloggers who didn't ask me anything, and that's fine for me.

If Food & Wine for example has a link to my site on a good number of their pages this is because they consider my content is relevant to their readers, and if you look closer, you'll find many other blogs included in their links list
I will not change anything in my linking, one reason being that from the start (almost 10 years ago) I never relied on tricks and SEO techniques, but only focused on content, and I'll not adapt my linking policy with what is supposed to propell my pagerank. I trust foremost the readers judgement to increase my readership.

My readership works anyway mostly with word of mouth or occasional direct links from influential websites like the NY Times, but still it's a bit annoying to think that your site's ranking is lowered because of links not being nofollow. 
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 black belt 11/17/13 2:32 AM
Bert, I completely appreciate where you're coming from. I'm sure that to some degree Google has accounted for issues like you're describing. But there is really only one issue to be concerned about - did you lose any traffic? If you didn't, don't worry about publicly visible PR, at least not any more. Google has the right number privately and if your traffic is still good, then you are probably not as affected by this as much as it appears. This short video from Matt Cutts will probably explain all you need about PR:

The real problem is that the public PR number has been used for such mass abuse that I think it's the reason why Google seems to be taking this number internal. How many half baked sites brag about their PR and then try to sell links to further manipulate PR? Thus you may be stuck at a certain level and won't see a change soon. I know how that feels, especially when you've been a PR 6 the honest way and it's a bit of an achievement.

My main takeaway is that I'm not sure why larger sites don't comply with best practices. Some of it may come from the perception of passing PR. Given that it's no secret that all ads/promo should be nofollowed, I think it's probably a prudent measure to do it. 

I can see that you pride yourself on providing excellent, complete and unabridged articles. Kudos. I do think you'd benefit from a bit of an interface refresh that would make it easier to find the content on your site. Note that the validator finds a huge number of errors. You'll probably want to take a look at this as well. Best of luck. Hope at least what I wrote helps, even if it isn't totally settling.

Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Bert12 11/17/13 2:46 AM
Thanks for your time, Black Belt, I appreciate 
I'll correct some of the mistakes, particularly the <br><br /> which I'm using often and is not the right html coding if I understand

Best regards,

Bert
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Simon-Mc 11/17/13 6:00 AM
@Suzanneh,

The only people interested in PR are people buying and selling links (which are against the guidelines if they aren't 'nofollow').

I agree with this 100% which begs the question, why does google continue with it.  I no longer see people using adwords to sell links so I assume google finally banned that pracitice.  It would be nice to see google remove this useless feature altogether because it adds so much confusion and is a red herring to newbies allowing them to be easily conned.

Simon
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Suzanneh 11/17/13 6:46 AM
Can't argue with that, Simon-Mc!  I'd love to see it gone too. :-)

Suzanne
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 True Answers No Hypocrisy 11/17/13 7:11 AM
well this is one kine of website we would call made for hobby

but unfortunately recently google destroyed such :D

u can survive if you have whole team and a lot of money

according to the black belt google should penalize your site

yes this is the new trend of google :)

they dont care for what reason how quality you produce

they care u can get 1 million spam backlinks from single site with auto generated pages and bam u are penalized :D
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 True Answers No Hypocrisy 11/17/13 7:12 AM
i am not talking about the content though

ur site should be completely penalized in my opinion because vine is a sin and makes you commit a lot of crimes when u are drunk
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Lysis 11/17/13 7:45 AM
Wine is a gift from the gods. Bite your tongue.
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 black belt 11/17/13 10:12 AM
On Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:11:26 AM UTC-5, True Answers No Hypocrisy wrote:
u can survive if you have whole team and a lot of money
according to the black belt google should penalize your site
yes this is the new trend of google :)
they dont care for what reason how quality you produce
they care u can get 1 million spam backlinks from single site with auto generated pages and bam u are penalized :D

What I said is that if you're not following guidelines that can easily be implemented, then you've got the potential for being penalized. It doesn't take big dollars to change a 20 sidebar links to nofollow and certainly the larger blogs in his niche should know better. I do think there is certainly more overhead than years ago, yes. The high cost of maintenance is becoming more necessary thanks to the high price of abuses in case you hadn't noticed.

Natural backlinks are one significant way Google uses to ascertain "quality" of a written piece of content. And if there are 1 million spam backlinks that pass page rank, then others who produce quality are penalized by following the rules. 
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 True Answers No Hypocrisy 11/17/13 10:34 AM
black belt .i bet u don't have a serious website . my website is getting over 1 million page views each month

man i cant decide myself to get penalized my competitors

my belief of after life preventing me. otherwise i would make the crap out of them. it is just freaking easy. and it is becoming easier as the days passes.

anyway who has true bossiness website understanding what i mean
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Lysis 11/17/13 10:43 AM
Hopefully, "losers" isn't one of your keywords.
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 black belt 11/17/13 11:45 AM
On Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:34:08 PM UTC-5, True Answers No Hypocrisy wrote:
black belt .i bet u don't have a serious website . my website is getting over 1 million page views each month

Let me know when you've deposited your bet in escrow. :)

man i cant decide myself to get penalized my competitors
my belief of after life preventing me. otherwise i would make the crap out of them. it is just freaking easy. and it is becoming easier as the days passes.
anyway who has true bossiness website understanding what i mean

I can't understand what any of this means. And if there is some secret, please provide us with some answers and no hypocrisy. :)
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 JohnMu 11/19/13 1:08 AM
Hi Bert

I'd recommend checking the Webmaster Tools manual action section to find out more. In this case, it's a matter of links on your website to other websites, for example the "Wholesale Home Products" link in the sidebar. It's fine to have ads on a website, but to avoid those ads from skewing search, we recommend using the "rel=nofollow" markup to prevent them from passing PageRank. If you choose to change that, then you can let us know about this in Webmaster Tools (in the manual action section).

Cheers
John
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 Bert12 11/19/13 9:17 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for your answer;
This site has only two paying ads which doesn't make the work I do very profitable, and this particular advertiser wanted the dofollow option, I think, so I won't probably change anything, and I'll probably loose this sponsor anyway.

Thanks anyway, I understand the motives at Google;

Bert
Re: Pagerank drops from 6 to 3 StevieD_Web 11/19/13 11:01 AM
> and this particular advertiser wanted the dofollow option,

And in good time the site (advertiser) will be duly penalized so all is good.