Categories: Malware & hacked sites :

"This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found"

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
"This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" Jeff Louw 8/18/13 7:15 AM
I've read the FAQs and searched the help center. 
My URL is: 

The above domain shows "This site may be compromised" in a google search. I have cleaned the site after finding one script with some inserted content, and installed firewall software into the CMS. I cannot file a reconsideration request as the tool shows  "no manual webspam actions found". I think this is because I may have accidentally deleted the messages, thinking that they related to an earlier incident. The malware check is clean also. Is there a way to escalate this, or another way to request reconsideration?

Thanks,

Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" webado 8/18/13 2:52 PM
The pages still flagged that way need to be recrawled.

It might help to do a Fetch as Googlebot for the homepage and request indexing of that url and all urls linked from it.
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" mvandemar 8/19/13 1:38 AM
webado, have you heard anything concerning the fact that the Reconsideration Request form is no longer accessible for sites flagged with "This site may be compromised"? It's very frustrating that Google removed this remedy, even though their documents are still directing people to go there.
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" webado 8/19/13 4:25 AM
The only thing I have heard (and seen) is that you now have a way to see Search Traffic > Manual Actions in your Webmaster Tools account, and that is what leads to the form for a reconsideration request. Seems no other way.
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" JohnMu 8/21/13 5:44 AM
Hi Jeff

When a site is algorithmically found to have been compromised, a reconsideration request is unnecessary -- it'll be updated automatically as we recrawl & reindex the content from there, and see that it's no longer compromised. The normal crawling & indexing can take a bit of time, so unfortunately you'll need to be a bit patient. In cases where the site was manually found to be compromised, you can still submit a reconsideration request to have it reviewed. You'll see the difference by checking the manual action feature in Webmaster Tools. We're looking into ways to make this process a bit clearer, more straightforward & consistent, I realize it's a bit confusing at the moment..

Best regards,
John
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" mvandemar 8/21/13 8:23 AM
John,

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like you are saying:

1) if a webmaster commits offenses grievous enough to warrant the Google team to take manual action against them, they now have a remedy to get priority service if they agree to clean up their act, but...

2) if someone is innocent and gets hacked through no fault of their own, and does what is needed to clean out the malicious content, they then must wait weeks or even months now for Google to notice, suffering in both revenue and reputation in the interim, with no way at all get get any help with it? Is that about the gist of it?

Could you do me a favor perhaps and chime in here with the reasoning behind this?

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!mydiscussions/webmasters/bm_Los550Lg

For years now Google has been friendly and helpful to webmasters who have been hit by hackers, and there are multiple instances of official Google docs and reps telling them to use the reconsideration request form once they have cleaned out the spam (the instructions still state that), and this whole move makes it look like Google is now more interested in giving attention to people they want to make an example of rather than people who are innocent and really need help, and I am trying to wrap my head around why this is. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" TVCNet Hack Repair 8/21/13 2:42 PM
Very sad Google.com situation.
So now clients who have pharma text in their Google listing are simply out of luck and now have no way to plead their case or request reconsideration for "This site is not currently listed as suspicious." statements in Google search.

As it is now, if no manual actions exist then client no longer has recourse and must "wait" an interminable amount of time for Google to reindex them?
:(
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" webado 8/21/13 5:15 PM
Well I have a hunch that even before, when you could make a reconsideration request for this sort of situation, it was still a matter of a week or two until the site was recrawled (as a part of regular recrawls anyway).  
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" mvandemar 8/21/13 6:59 PM
With the request I have seen it clear in a matter of days. Prior to them having people use this form for that it could take months in some cases.

The real pisser is that there is no reason for this situation to even require manual intervention. They already have the algo to detect whether or not the site was affected... it would take a coder 1 day, maybe 2, to write the routines where you could request a recrawl after a cleaning, and if the algo no longer detects the spam, lifts the warning. It's no different than the one they already have for when there is a virus on the site, and that one only takes 12 hours to clear, assuming the site is clean.
Re: "This site may compromised" but "no manual webspam actions found" redleg-redleg 8/21/13 7:26 PM
I certainly agree that the process needs some improvements, needs to be more timely.