Categories: Crawling, indexing & ranking :

My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions?

Showing 1-41 of 41 messages
My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 10:08 AM
I've read the FAQs and searched the help center. 

Hi and thanks for your time. 
I have a women's health blog that's been going for about six years. My traffic has gradually been increasing until I was getting about 6000 visitors a day around july 2012. Starting from August my traffic started fading away. I was on holiday so I thought it was due to decreased posting frequency on my part. 

I started accepting guest posts to help keep the blog active but things just got worse. I took off the guest posts because I was afraid maybe they were linking to bad neighbourhoods that I didn't know about. 

In November I started using WPtouch, a wordpress plugin that gives mobile visitors a mobile-friendly version of your webpage with the same url and started tracking changes I was making on the blog in google analytics from january (I know, I should have been doing that all along!!).
I changed my wordpress theme in january to see if that would make a difference. Dunno if it's made things worse (from a Genesis child them to Suffusion theme).

I've used Pingdom and Google page speed tools to decrease the load time of my pages. I've removed some 3rd party objects like video and a slideshow that were slowing down page load. 
I've replaced my old caching plugin with W3TC to address some of the issues raised by the tools.

I've put some of my pages through the w3 validator and reduced the errors (down to about 4 now, not sure how to address the remaining ones). I removed a plugin that puts recently searched for search terms at the bottom of the post (not sure if that would be viewed as spamming).

From 6000 visitors to less than 600. Not exactly a flood but I was making a nice income from it which constitutes a very good living in the third world. Please please, any suggestions would be welcome. All my income has disappeared and I'm at my wit's end. Even when my site was infected with malware 18 months ago my traffic was better than this!

From webmaster tools:
site is being indexed
no malware
have submitted sitemap
sitemap tab says 126 webpages submitted, 3 indexed
no duplicate content
26 crawl errors (not found) 
Received the message "Big traffic change for top url" on 12/31/12 , 12/17/12, 9/22/12 

Thanks again in advance.
**** PS. this is a women's health blog so some people may not feel comfortable visiting it even though it doesn't contain adult content.

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 10:17 AM
A women's health blog - Well, are you a health provider or medical professional?
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 11:01 AM
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 11:09 AM
I'm a doctor.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 11:11 AM
There is nothing on your website to support or suggest that. 

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:09:50 PM UTC-7, Ada Ozoh wrote:
I'm a doctor.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Been wrong before! 2/12/13 11:16 AM

You should put that on your woman's health content,. The only thing I could see is a link to webmd
who don't have any credentials displayed either ,
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? si0077 2/12/13 11:19 AM
So putting the fact that you are a doctor on your blog will increase traffic? I doubt that very much!

I lost lots of traffic on some of my sites. One had over 10,000 uniques a day, until someone copied my content and now I am lucky to get 1,000 a day!

Copy and paste some of your content into Google and see if your site appears in the search results or if someone elses site is above yours for that content.

Google used to be a good fair search engine until Panda and Penguin updates screwed lots of honest webmasters and replaced their sites with lazy copying people that I wouldnt call webmasters!

I feel for you totally, you know your trade and proving what you do will not help you with Google. I used to own a safe chat site, fully moderated and advertised on site about its safety measures to protect minors from malicious people etc, it was de-ranked and replaced with a webcam chat site full of people jacking off on cam. Google does not care about what goes on in your site, they care about things that should not matter. ;)
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 11:23 AM
si0077

If you have helpful advice, fine. But stop spamming other people's threads with your rants. It's not useful. Every single site is unique and for a site giving medical advice content and trust is absolutely important!
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? si0077 2/12/13 11:36 AM
Sorry but I think I have offered very good advise to this person, maybe you should have thought about it first, rather than something that will simply not work.

Copying and pasting your own content into Google will determine if someone is copying your own content or if you have been penalised.

How do I know that? Because one of the more helpful people in here explained this too me a long time ago IN THIS FORUM!

I find your comment very rude and almost as though you are looking down on me, would that be because I have a number 1 next to my name?!

Ada, you will find some people in here only post to get a higher number, take my advice and do both, add your doctors merit to the site (cant see it working though) but also, do the content search and please let us all know what you find ;) Good luck.
Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 11:40 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 11:42 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 11:43 AM
Does trust affect my search traffic?
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 11:48 AM
I shall see about incorporating my credentials (maybe see how other doctors with blogs are doing it) and check if people are copying my content. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Can anyone spot any technical issues that may be affecting my traffic that I may have overlooked? 
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 12:03 PM
Does trust affect my search traffic?
YES!
Especially in the medical field. 

Beyond that, google is looking for good, rich, unique content and I'm not seeing it here. What's the point of the site? Why are you doing this?
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Been wrong before! 2/12/13 12:13 PM
What word or phrase are you trying to  get traffic for, looks like "menopausal lifestyle" from your title but you site list of every ailment under the sun.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 12:16 PM
I beg to differ. I know I asked for help and I thank you for your input. However I  think your comment is somewhat inappropriate. These are articles I've written myself, from my own research, not scraped from anyone, about issues that I think are relevant to women. Some offer suggest options for women who may want an alternative to options offered by conventional wisdom and the traditional medical establishment. If the content isn't relevant to you, it is to others judging by over 150 comments on one of my once-popular pages. 
I would be grateful for contributions from from anyone else who has something to add.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 12:17 PM
Sorry, webmastered, my previous comment was directed at Ashley.

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? StevieD_Web 2/12/13 12:20 PM
health/medical is highly competitive and the competition includes some of the absolute biggest names and most authoritative sites on the web (National Institute of Health, Medline, Mayo Clinic, WakeMed, Harvard, etal) plus lots of for-profit sites (WebMD etc) that spend tons of $$$ advertising themselves on the web and through other media including TV and national magazines or newspapers.

If you are able to get a single page indexed and returned in the SER you should count yourself lucky.

Is trust a factor in medical sites?  Absolutely!! Think about it, Harvard versus some random blog lacking any academic/research creditably, who do you think the Mayo Clinic is going to link to or send their patients to the site for follow up information?

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 12:21 PM
I'm not trying to get traffic for "menopause lifestyle" per se. That's just the name of the site. When I was setting up the site I read (?misread) that the homepage title should contain keywords describing what your site is about. I guess you're saying I should trim them down and make them more focused. Thank you. Will do.

PS. Sorry about posting replies in the wrong place. Haven't used this groups system before.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 12:28 PM
My pages have been ranking for years in a small way even though I haven't been exactly flooded with traffic. So it's a bit of a shock to see everything just go down the tubes like that. Thank you very much, you've definitely given me a bit of perspective.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 12:35 PM
You've gone and pasted your content all over other sites - so you can't fault others for stealing your content. Here are a couple of examples:

And you're creating multiple websites - lots of these aren't loaded up yet, but you're amassing quite a collection
vaginalsergury.com <---- my favorite!

You really feel like articles like this one - http://menopauselifestyle.com/blog/6-tips-fight-weekend-weight-gain/ full of grammatical/punctuation errors and content that I think falls flat is really in your best professional interest?

I have a couple friends that are doctors and they don't have the time, energy, ambition to create this sort of internet web of low quality content. In fact, they would never want their name associated with content like this due to liability issues for their patience and their hospital/office. This is not peer-reviewed high quality medical content. In fact, I have no idea what you're actually trying to do here besides make ad money. What kind of Dr. are you, exactly?

Also confused about the "refund policy" on your site. What exactly are you selling?
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 12:41 PM
The link profiles for your sites are dismal - bad directories and submission services, spun articles, blog comment spam, forum spam, and even hidden links (like http://simpleyeastinfectiontreatment.com/tag/leaky/
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? StevieD_Web 2/12/13 12:43 PM
Oh HELL YES

vaginalsergury.com <---- my favorite!

just finding that website got you the Best Answer
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 12:45 PM
This is good.

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 1:02 PM
Interesting because domaintools shows it as unregistered but - http://www.webboar.com/www/vaginalsergury.com shows

Owner, Administrative Contacts:
Email:adaozoh@gmail.com [16 domains use this email]
Name:UNTH [15 domains use this name]
Phone:+234.8055969899 [16 domains use this phone]
Address:Adaeze Ozoh
PO Box 17627, Wuse Post Office
Abuja, -
Nigeria
VAGINALSERGURY.COM IP:69.89.31.154
ISP domain:SPEAKEASY.NET
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 1:52 PM
If I may say so, it look like you're being rather vindictive and spoiling for a fight. Even if i had 10,000 sites registered, why would it affect my site traffic? 
You people in the States are out of touch with what happens here. Not everyone has a credit card. If I register a domain names for friends (some of who are also doctors incidentally) that makes me a quack of some sort? 
American doctors are well paid, but we are not. Lots of my friends are trying to find ways to supplement their incomes and getting online is one of the ways they think they'd be able to do that because it's something they can do from home.

We read all sorts of things about how to get links to our sites including submitting your site and articles to directories and commenting on blogs. If it's wrong to do so now, it wasn't denigrated at the time it was done which was years ago when I first started the blog, if you follow the link you will see that it was in 2006 and 2007. 
And I guess the fact that I'm Nigerian automatically means I'm a dud. Makes me want to cry, but I'm getting used to it. I guess if I was doing some advanced free fraud that would be more in character.  Does having a refund policy affect my search engine traffic?

Being a non-techie means that sometimes we make mistakes that you that are more experienced would not make. I don't know why find jobs nigeria is a subdomain of my site. If you're doing everything yourself you learn everything from scratch cpanel, wordpress, youtube, powerpoint....and the list goes on and it can be overwhelming sometimes. 

Sorry, my about me page seems to have been left out when I changed my theme, that page has been up for years since 2007 for everyone to see. I was talking about my about page thinking it was visible. This has reminded me to put it up again. Thanks for that at least. 

I have no idea where the hidden link is. Could you pls tell me where you found it ??? As you mentioned, the domain name for vaginal surgery was not renewed because of the typo. 
You just seem to be looking for things to laugh about or is it just to try and discredit me? Or you've just assumed I'm some kind of crook already?

I think I'm done trying to defend myself. I'll take the advice given in good faith and try to work on some of the issues.

Thanks you everyone for your contributions.

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 2:01 PM
It has NOTHING to do with you being Nigerian. I NEVER said that it did. 

It has everything to do with you not building trust. I don't see proper credentials. I see lots and lots of thin medical sites that seem to be optimized just for ads. 

Proper medical advice is no laughing matter - at all. If you want to make some money on the side, fine, but I would never take creating medical advice sites lightly. 

We read all sorts of things about how to get links to our sites including submitting your site and articles to directories and commenting on blogs
You may be reading the wrong things. Google has published guidelines, help articles, blogs, SEO Starter Guide, videos, etc. If you really want to do well in Google - why not stick to the free advice they're giving rather than reading what may potentially be erroneous information?

You just seem to be looking for things to laugh about or is it just to try and discredit me? Or you've just assumed I'm some kind of crook already?
No, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm dead serious about medical sites needing to be of the highest quality. If you're just learning, perhaps start with a site that has potentially less ramifications for general members of the public. 
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 3:12 PM
If you weren't trying to be mean then why go fishing for all the sites that I've registered even though there's nothing on them? Including the dig about the vaginal surgery?  The problems with the blog may be technical issue but not the articles. You left all the articles on my blog to point out the one about weekend weight gain. Where are all the grammatical errors? I write articles in simple language because college-educated women are in the minority, so long medical words do not help them in any way.  Okay, so I guess someone is going to keel over because I said they should watch less television or eat more veggies with reference to your comment about ramifications for members of the general public? Never mind that I usually suggest that women see their health care provider at the end of my articles about serious health conditions. 

How are these so different from some of the subjects I've written about? 

These are articles for the (wo)man on the street not for doctors.
And you found a hidden link. Instead of being kind enough to tell me where it is, you just assumed you'd caught me out doing something naughty and went on your merry way, laughing all the way I suspect.
I had one adsense unit on the site, the CTR of which was so low that I took it off altogether, and retained just one on the mobile version. Yep, that looks like someone who's out to make a killing with her blog!

Your response was so discouraging and I'm trying hard not to let it affect me this evening. I guess one should be prepared for that kind of thing on the internet. If you can find it in your heart to tell me where you found the hidden link, that would make life easier for me. If not then I guess I'll try and figure it out for myself.

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? StevieD_Web 2/12/13 3:23 PM
>And I guess the fact that I'm Nigerian automatically means I'm a dud. 

I did not know that you are Nigerian nor do I care.  I give the same advice and criticism to people of all races, ethnic groups, religions, nationalities etc.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 3:36 PM
I was not replying to you. I was replying to Ashley. My address is prominently displayed in all the whois information she generously posted in her reply. 
I didn't mean to cause you any offence Yours was one of the most balanced and thoughtful responses I received and really gave me food for thought. If I forgot to say thank you, forgive me. Your advice (as with all the advice I've received) is greatly appreciated and has given me something to work on. Have a good day and please don't let my negligence (I've had a hard couple of weeks!) and forgetfulness put you off helping others who ask for help.
All the best,
Ada
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 3:38 PM
To find the hidden link, view the source of the page and do a search for your domain. You can't see it on the actual site because it is hidden....

I'm not trying to be mean - I'm trying to expose a pattern of behavior that will be very clear to Google if I could find it in 15 minutes. This is important as you're trying to rank in an area that requires a serious relationship of trust. This stuff matters to Google and to users. 

You asked for help. I'm giving you an opinion. You're free to take it or leave it.

As far as the page with the grammar/typing issues issues:
 their saturday breakfast!)If you’re at home
 800 extra Calories over 
I'm not the best writer, but errors like this stick out like a sore thumb to me and damage the credibility of a medical advice site. 

If you want my honest opinion on how to move forward - it is to scrap all of these various mini sites and focus on creating one really, really good site on something you love and have something to offer. Stop the schemes to manipulate rank. You're shooting yourself in the foot and you're creating websites that aren't strong enough to be of any use to visitors. 

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 4:29 PM
Hi Ashley. Like I said before, I didn't even register all those domain names for myself. They were just bought with the same card. For example, chances of conceiving belongs to my kid sister. And I don't know a thing about dogs. And the ones that do have some content on them aren't even linking back to me as far as I can see. One or two are mine, the rest aren't. I just bought them with the same card. 

The main domain on the hosting account is Menopauselifestyle.com. Whenever you assign a domain to the hosting account  Cpanel automatically creates a subdomain with which to operate that domain name. I don't create it myself to try and game the system. See below copied from my Cpanel account. 

Sub-domain: .menopauselifestyle.com 
*Note: This subdomain is required for cPanel. You will still be able to access your domain name directly by going to naijafemme.com.

So the findjobnigeria.menopauselifestyle.com isn't of my doing. That's the way Cpanel operates. I was really confused because I know I haven't gone around creating subdomains willy nilly. 

Does anyone have any suggestions about the subdomain issue or is that outside the scope of this group?

Does that mean I have to host them on a different account or something? But cpanel is common and I guess it should work the same way for everyone so the subdomain issue should be normal?

It's 1.25am and I'm exhausted. Thanks again everyone.

Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 4:32 PM
Sorry, the empty box is supposed to have naijafemme inside it.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ashley 2/12/13 7:35 PM
So the findjobnigeria.menopauselifestyle.com isn't of my doing. That's the way Cpanel operates. I was really confused because I know I haven't gone around creating subdomains willy nilly. 

C-panel doesn't just create job boards on health sites.... I use Blue Host for two sites and I don't have this issue. 
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/12/13 9:47 PM
If you have any add on domains in addition to your main domain,  Cpanel will list the addon domain as a subdomain of the hosting domain. If your two domains are hosted on different hosting accounts then you will not have that problem. Check your subdomain list from the main control panel. If your second domain is on the same hosting account then you will see it there as a subdomain. Try adding an addon domain to your main account and you will see. Ask anyone who has addon domains to check their subdomains tab because they'll see that the addon domains are subdomains of their main hosting domain and cannot be removed without removing the addon domain. 

I'm not just arguing for the sake of arguing. You are working on the supposition that I'm trying to game the system by having some kind of link farm I suppose which I'm not. The reason I agreed to host some of those domains for friends is that it doesn't cost me anything after they've paid me back for buying the domain name for them. If that's harming me then I'll ask them to make alternative arrangements. 

As per the subdomain thing, there's is absolutely nothing I can do about that.Just try the experiment I suggested above or ask someone else to. 
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? JohnMu 2/18/13 1:54 AM
Hi Ada

Just to follow up on what others here have said, I'd also recommend taking the time to focus on a single, fantastic website. In the long run, having something of extremely high quality, that highlights your knowledge and experience (and perhaps that of your site's contributors), is going to be a big asset. Splitting your time across a number of sites, some of which are bound to end up being somewhat mediocre (if you don't have enough time to make them all awesome), can end up diluting your efforts, instead of creating something that you can build on. 

Especially when it comes to medical sites, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at Amit's 23 questions regarding high-quality sites at http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-guidance-on-building-high-quality.html -- in particular, I'd recommend finding a few people who aren't associated with your site at all, and going through those questions after they've completed some sample tasks on your and on other websites. Listen to their feedback, and think about how it can be used to improve your website. Even looking at the feedback here, I can see that there are things around your website that worry discerning users. I realize taking the feedback here can be hard, but sometimes it's better to get the raw feedback than to get a sugar-coated version. 

With regards to other websites hosted within your website, Googlebot doesn't differentiate between accidentally hosting that kind of content within your site and doing it on purpose. If those are really sites that you do not want to be associated with, then I'd recommend making sure that they are not hosted within your domain. If those are sites that you want to fold into your main site, then I'd recommend setting up 301 redirects to the new URLs on your main site. 

Hope it helps & good luck!
John
Ada Ozoh 2/18/13 4:00 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Ada Ozoh 2/18/13 4:12 AM
Hi John,
thank you for your feedback. I've already started doing some things based on the advice I received from others even though I was slightly (no very) offended by the way it was delivered and some of the insinuations that were made. I don't have a very thick skin!! Nevertheless, I've tried to put sentiment aside and look at the substance of the messages which will be to my own benefit in the long run.
I'll visit the article you linked to, read it, digest it and act on it. 
Thanks so much for your thoughtful advice. Have a wonderful day.
All the best,
Ada
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Michael Martinez 2/18/13 8:59 AM
For the record, Ashley, cPanel DOES create a subdomain on the PRIMARY for every ADDON domain you add to the account.

So if you set up the cPanel account using EXAMPLE1.COM, and then add EXAMPLE2.NET as an ADDON domain, you'll automatically create a subdirectory that looks like EXAMPLE2.EXAMPLE1.COM in addition to the EXAMPLE2.NET Website.

All of these ADDON domains can be reached either by the domain name or the subdirectory name.  The user has no way to prevent this.  I don't know who designed cPanel but this has always been an idiotic requirement.

So, if the original poster truly is registering domains on behalf of other people (a practice widely used in the United States, although here it is technically illegal) then while all those subdomains MIGHT look spammy there is no way that the original poster can prevent them from appearing -- except to use a different kind of hosting service that does NOT rely on cPanel.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Michael Martinez 2/18/13 9:03 AM
John, if the original poster is telling the truth about hosting Websites for friends on a cPanel account, your comments are way out of line.  cPanel users cannot prevent the tool from setting up those subdomains.

Google may not be able to detect a cPanel-hosted ADDON domain in its crawling but if that is the case then you should use your bully pulpit to help persuade the cPanel designers to stop creating these silly subdomains.  The users cannot do anything about them.
Re: My site's traffic has gradually decreased to almost nothing. Pls can anyone make some suggestions? Laura-May 2/19/13 6:17 AM
do not copy other people's content and check and monitor your content for duplication using tools like www.plagspotter.com or copysape.
More topics »