Categories: Getting Started / Tips & Tricks :

Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE!

Showing 1-24 of 24 messages
Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! bobpiesz 7/5/09 3:27 PM
I read a couple topics and people were touching on this subject.  This is by far the easiest way to transfer your contacts from your verizon phone.  All you need is backup assistant.  Don't have it?  Just download it from "get it now", it's only like 2 bucks a month.  Simply run it and it backups your contacts online.

Ok...

Head on over to this link and login in to your verizon account:

https://backupassistant.vzw.com/mb/?skininfo=110

Make sure you have your contacts in the list view alignment, not the buisness card view. 

Once everything is in order, turn off your pop-up blocker. 

Click "Print Address Book" and it will pop up with a big list of all your contacts.

Start highlighting from the very first contact.  DO NOT INCLUDE the title bar or column labels.  Just CONTACTS ONLY, don't worry about anything about the first horizantal row.

Now just Paste all the contacts you just copied in to the top box on this site:

http://www.danshultz.com/FirefoxContactsImporter.html

Then hit convert!

Now copy that new code and open up notepad.  Paste the code.  Go to file save and save it as "Contacts.CSV" and for "Save as Type" select "All"

That's it.  Now just go to gmail or google voice and select import contacts.  Then just select the CSV to upload.

Hope it helps some people.

-Bob

I'm not the inventor of this method I just wrote it in my own words.  I take no credit for it.

Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! bobpiesz 7/5/09 11:33 PM
Did this help anyone?  Figured I'd post it because other tutorials require downloading a batch script.  This is straight forward.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! McDonalM 7/6/09 7:26 PM
Didn't work for me. . . GV  couldn't recognize the file type.

MM
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! bobpiesz 7/6/09 9:17 PM
Did you make it a .CSV  file?  Should be like:

contact.csv

then make sure you select "ALL" for the "SAVE AS TYPE" pull down menu
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! compulsiveguile 7/20/09 9:00 PM
Hmm... that conversion page didn't seem to do the trick. I don't think any of my actual contact info ended up in the converted CSV section. It just said this:

"Title","First Name","Middle Name","Last Name","Suffix","Company","Department","Job Title","Business Street","Business Street 2","Business Street 3","Business City","Business State","Business Postal Code","Business Country/Region","Home Street","Home Street 2","Home Street 3","Home City","Home State","Home Postal Code","Home Country/Region","Other Street","Other Street 2","Other Street 3","Other City","Other State","Other Postal Code","Other Country/Region","Assistant's Phone","Business Fax","Business Phone","Business Phone 2","Callback","Car Phone","Company Main Phone","Home Fax","Home Phone","Home Phone 2","ISDN","Mobile Phone","Other Fax","Other Phone","Pager","Primary Phone","Radio Phone","TTY/TDD Phone","Telex","Account","Anniversary","Assistant's Name","Billing Information","Birthday","Business Address PO Box","Categories","Children","Directory Server","E-mail Address","E-mail Type","E-mail Display Name","E-mail 2 Address","E-mail 2 Type","E-mail 2 Display Name","E-mail 3 Address","E-mail 3 Type","E-mail 3 Display Name","Gender","Government ID Number","Hobby","Home Address PO Box","Initials","Internet Free Busy","Keywords","Language","Location","Manager's Name","Mileage","Notes","Office Location","Organizational ID Number","Other Address PO Box","Priority","Private","Profession","Referred By","Sensitivity","Spouse","User 1","User 2","User 3","User 4","Web Page"

Am I missing something?
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! Game4set 8/4/09 11:55 AM
Wow this actually worked! Thanks a lot! Also guys I think it might help if you make sure there aren't any emails added with your contacts.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! compulsiveguile 8/4/09 1:00 PM
@Game4set

You might be onto something with the whole email thing. I had a few email addresses in mine, and this technique did not work at all.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! wezley 8/6/09 5:35 PM
This worked for me! I did remove e-mails from the list however.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! verycuteasian 9/9/09 10:35 PM
does not work for me.... also removed emails, still getting....
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! jonluvsmichelle 9/10/09 9:11 AM
Worked great! Thanks!!
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! verycuteasian 9/10/09 10:54 AM
how did you guys do it.. i keep ketting the code wrong...........
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! wpbruce 10/5/09 8:44 PM
this works. the key is to make sure you use firefox, not safari, when you copy the text from verizon back-up assistant's window. 

dan schultz's helpful little script looks for tab characters to determine where to insert the commas that give the CSV format its name.  safari eliminates these tabs.  when the script doesn't find them, it only outputs the header containing the row definitions, which is that big block of seemingly unrelated text people posted up there.

if you've successfully copied both the text and the formatting from the pop-up window, your contacts will appear in two straight lines of names and numbers, indented to the right of the box when you paste it them into the converter.

hope that helps everybody!
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! Brendanec 10/16/09 10:50 AM
This was great, except for your added note which I had to delete from the CSV file. No one likes Spam :)
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! troyconquer 10/19/09 7:37 PM
This worked perfectly for me.  I was getting pissy with import for about 30 minutes before I found this.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! jcjenk 10/28/09 4:56 PM
Had the same problem using IE. Switched to Firefox and it worked pretty good.  Cut out a few first names and put the phone number in instead but was easier to fix then hand typing all my contacts. THANKS!
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! cmills93 11/6/09 9:22 AM
Worked great!  Thanks!
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! flippedcracker 11/18/09 6:24 PM
thank you so much. i spent half an hour trying to figure it out. all i had to do was export as csv and then import and everything was there. much easier.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! jrclockelf 11/19/09 9:27 PM
When I did this there was an "export" choice in my Verizon online backup assistant - I simply chose "export as .csv" and saved the file to my desktop, then imported it to GV. Couldn't have been easier.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! petertcrowell 12/1/09 4:25 PM
How about going from gmail contacts to verizon contact backup? can that be done?
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! znoors 12/4/09 1:05 PM
Somehow, the idea of pasting my entire address book into a field on a website I know nothing about and then pressing submit makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I have no reason not to trust danshultz.com, but no reason to assume my privacy is being respected either...  Especially when VZW backup assistant has an export to CSV function as jrclockelf notes. I used VZW's exporter for my contacts and it worked great. No third party website necessary.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! jkhh07 2/10/10 8:44 AM
Verizon now has "export to csv" option. And this is what user bobpies is doing.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! sillyleisl 4/22/10 10:47 PM
Here's an easy way to import your files to the Eris (and prob all other Droids and/or smartphones) from Verizon's Backup Assistant.  It took me a while to piece together this info b/c it's my first smartphone and I'm not that computer savvy.  The KISS method:
1.  Log into Verizon's Backup Assistant. 
2.  Right above the box that shows your addresses, on the right side is an icon to show the contacts in list form.  Choose that.
3.  Click "Select All."  This is below the icon you just pressed to get the contacts viewed as a list.
4.  Click on the cog's arrow button directly to the right of the "Select All" button. (A cog is that little wheel looking thing.)
5.  Click on "Export Contacts"
6.  Choose the ".CSV" option
7.  Save to desktop.  Your contacts are now ready to import to Gmail
8.  Log into your Gmail account (if you don't have one, make one.  Get gmail on your phone too, if it isn't already there).
9.  Once in your account, click on "Contacts" on the left side of the screen.
10.  Click on "Import" on the right side of the screen
11.  Click on "Browse" and look for the .csv file you've saved on your desktop
12.  Click on "Import"
13.  Look in your contacts on your phone and they will be there. ^_^
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! Box7184 4/23/10 8:01 AM
You don't need a gmail account, to import your contacts to GV.

Just log in to your GV account, click contacts on the left side of the screen.

Then follow the rest of the instructions.
Re: Transfer Contact List From Verizon Backup Assistent to Google Voice! SIMPLE! wk21085 2/7/11 1:41 PM
well the gmail account IS you GV account so you don't need to create one. thankfully VZW has that option now. Only if it'd show ALL my contacts. UGH
More topics »