Categories: Calls and voicemail : Nexus 5 :

Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up

Showing 126-303 of 303 messages
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/12/13 7:13 PM
I have a Nexus 5.  While making a call, the  screen goes black (sleep) and if the call is short a shake can wake up the screen. HOWEVER if the call goes on longer the volume buttons do not work and the screen will not turn on- not by tapping, not by shaking.   The screen will turn on if I hang up the call using the power button or if the call ends.  But if I need to say enter a number during an automated message I am stuck. 

Is this another bug?  Sometimes I also get that other issue, I hit hang up the button goes gray for a few seconds and the connection remains and then finally hangs up.
Right now I am more concerned for the phone not waking the screen up with a shake .

I did not know how to phrase this so this to do a search if this is happening to others. 

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up jjpark 12/13/13 6:09 AM
Are you using a screen protector?

Sounds like an issue caused by either a lack of a hole on the screen protector over the proximity sensor, or in a bad case a faulty sensor which would need to be RMAed.

The proximity sensor is on the right side of the receiver.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up dorr.john 12/13/13 6:39 AM
First of all , the volume buttons do not turn the Nexus 5 on , you are not the first person I have heard 
mention this as a fault , it is not .

I had the same problem with a different cellphone , when I moved the cellphone away from my ear, during a call ,  the 
screen did not light up ; the problem was sensors on the front of the cellphone , they where replaced 
and that was the end of the problem 
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/13/13 9:46 AM
OK volume buttons might not but the POWER BUTTON DOES!
You can not compare your other brand cell phone with this one.
I do not have a screen protector on the phone.

latest test:
Go to Accessibility in the settings and turn off the ability to hang up with the power button
The same problem still occurs- the screen goes to sleep and  will not wake up from shaking  or moving away from face but  the power button tapped will bring up the screen and restore normal function.

SO there is a fault in not waking up the longer it is in sleep.   I liked to be able to hang up with the power button so they should fix that  or figure out how it is related to  the sensor also going to sleep.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 12/15/13 4:56 AM
Same issue here. This only happens to me while on speaker or if I'm holding the phone away from my ear. The proximity sensor works just fine when next to my ear so I know that the problem lies somewhere else.
Once the screen turns off, I can't wake it up unless I use the power button. The problem there is that I would prefer to have the power button set to end calls. If I do that, it wakes the screen but also ends the call. I think this might be an issue with the dialer app or the system itself. The programming is missing to wake the phone after the screen turns off except for the power button option.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up dorr.john 12/15/13 11:23 AM
There is no use getting angry with someone who is trying to help you ...
The problem you are describing  is a faulty sensor problem , take it to be repaired or carry on being angry .
Good luck !
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/15/13 4:54 PM
Not angry but your advice does not apply unless you have  the phone and know for sure of the problem.  You should not post a guess based on a DIFFERENT phone. 
You are not really helping if you are only guessing.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/15/13 5:04 PM
Did you noticed this after the recent Kit Kat update? I have not had a longer call since the update and was hoping  maybe they fixed it.

Yes I agree. IT seems to work  as you describe on my end two. 

If others have their nexus 5 and can try duplicating this, it would be good. The only way to know if it is a faulty sensor is if others do not have the issue. 

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Cynthia XC 12/15/13 7:35 PM
exactly the same situation with you!!!!

I searched a lot without any useful advice....

and do not know how to define this problem as well...:(

then what action can wake up our phones except click the power button???
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up jenny bray 12/17/13 6:09 AM
Hello yes I have the same problem - a nightmare for picking up voice mails as I can't skip to next message.

32g model on 3 network

Please someone post a fix to this problem?

Thank you

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up dorr.john 12/17/13 8:03 AM
Sorry you feel I am guessing ... a sensor is a sensor , if it is on a Samsung or Nexus 5 or Nokia...
I am making a suggestion , you can take it or leave it . Your Nexus 5 supplier/repair agent have the equipment 
and knowledge to repair your Nexus 5 ...

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/17/13 8:10 AM
Dorr. john, may I ask if you have a Nexus 5?

If  you do not have the  phone, then I am sorry, you would indeed be making a guess that it is the sensor over the software.

If you have the phone,  what version do you have?  What country are you in?
Have you attempted to duplicate the issue by setting your phone to hang up with power button and are you confirming you do not  have  this issue when on speaker?

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/17/13 8:14 AM
I have the 32 gb phone as well.  Have you tried it with the 4..4.2 version?  I still have not been on the phone long enough to test.   Posters might be best to state their version so we can start defining the problem.

There is a "fix". The fix, for now is to turn off  hang up with power button feature.  Then you can use the power button to wake the screen.  This is better than being locked out. 
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/17/13 8:21 AM
If you go into Settings , scroll to System and then  tap Accessibility you can turn off the answer with power button. When you do this  briefly pressing the power button will wake the screen.
You will have to hang up by touching the red button on the touch screen.  Not as nice as being able to hang up with power button but at least you are not locked out.

What version of the phone do you have?  Was it the first run that sold out super fast or second run?  Is it the 16 GB or the 32 GB?

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/17/13 8:25 AM
So those reading this with the problem-
I am curious, did you get the phone on the first run that sold out, second run or other?
What version do you have ?  16 or 32 GB?  What color?

I ordered the phone on the second run.  First launch sold out so I preordered. I got the phone before thanksgiving, which was a head od schedule.

I have a black phone with 32 GB storage and I am in the USA.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/17/13 9:43 AM
I just put in a call to the number on this page for the US.
Can those who have posted the issue also call in.
The more that call in reporting this, the  more they will take note there is an issue.

The CS will be sending me some basic trouble shooting which I doubt will have any affect since I just had the phone rebooted by the 4.4.2 update. 

It is more important those with the issue post here and call the number above. 

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black when I get call if I am inside contacts Rajasekar Reddy 12/17/13 10:12 AM
Hi,
  I can't attend the incoming call if I am inside the contacts in phone since screen goes black.. If I press power button it will show as missed call.

I am using nexus5 32 GB and Android 4.4.2

Please help me out in this

Regards,
Rajasekar

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up dorr.john 12/18/13 10:41 AM
Yes I have a Nexus 5 , the only problem I have with it are cosmetic ( alarm layout , dialer layout and incoming calls screen ) .
I have no interest to further communicate with you as , in my opinion you are looking to see if the problem you have is 
a bug , from the answers I have read I conclude it is not .
You have asked for advice CHOOSE which your are willing to accept ... I won't attempt to advice you on how 
to do so seeing as , once again in my opinion , you  are not open to help ...
Good luck ...
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 12/18/13 2:06 PM
dorr.john, I think your advice is valid. If it is upsetting you that I  had questions from someone who was only postulating a guess, based, in your own words, on a DIFFERENT PHONE.    I am sorry it upset you that I still asked questions and did not make a conclusion on just one answer about A DIFFERENT PHONE..  Yes, if it upsets you, I agree that you should not answer any of my questions or try to help me.  But don't let my ways rule you helping out others.

Thank you for confirming you have an Nexus 5.
I was not clear on your answer if  you actually tried duplicating the issue.  If you did, and your phone does  wake up, even on speaker, from moving it, GREAT!

See dorr.john, I was NOT ruling out there is a sensor that is not working But also not ruling out a software bug.  You seem to have forgotten this issue DOES NOT happen when the phone his held to the year and not on speaker.

You seem like a helpful guy, and you can see others have this issue, a good  post is one that tests and tries to duplicate the issue on their own Nexus 5.  Then they can start their post confirming  their results.  That is more helpful than guessing based on DIFFERENT phones.

So while you could have made a good guess, you also have to first confirm you tried to duplicate the issue or accept that it works in some  situations and not others.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 12/18/13 2:13 PM
Hello all.
I wanted to  keep you updated.
I called Google at the number page I listed and they asked me to try 3 steps below which did not have any affect on the issue.
Since phone is only a couple weeks old I did not have much to back and wanted to try their suggestions as it was the only way to move forward with an RMA.
Sadly, my requests for someone on their end to test some Nexus 5 phones was not possible as I am sure that department is not in direct contact with the phone or tech department.

---------------------------------------------
First of all, thanks for providing us with suggestions about Nexus 5. We share all customer feedback with our development team and will be sure to pass along your input. Your feedback will help us to improve both our products and support for customers like yourself.

Since the device occur a software or sensor issue during calls, the troubleshoot option is to try reboot the device to safe mode first. And if the feature is still doesn't work, then you can proceed to perform to clear cache partition and Factory Data Reset on the device.

Step 1Try using the device in safe mode.
- Hold the Power button while the device is already on to get the "Power off" option.
- Press and hold "Power off".
- Select "OK" to reboot into safe mode.
-To exit safe mode, power off the device normally and start it back up normally.

Step 2: Clear cache partition on Nexus 5.
1. Hold power button for 2 seconds and select 'Power Off'
2. Hold 'Volume Down' button and press power button
3. An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
4. Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
5. Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
6. An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
7. While holding down the Power key, tap the Volume Up key.

Important! Please note that performing a factory data reset on your device will return your phone or tablet to its original state. I strongly recommend backing up and saving any photos, videos, music, or other items you might have stored on your device's local memory before doing so. If you have a device with an SD card, your media content stored there will not be deleted.

Step 3: Perform a factory data reset on Nexus 5.

Go to Settings > Backup & Reset
- Press Factory data reset
- Press Reset

After you perform the factory reset, you'll need to sign into your device with the same primary Google account you were using before in order to sync your purchased apps and other content.

If you're unable to get to your Settings menu, follow the steps below:

1. Power down your device
2. Press and hold both volume keys and the power button to enter Bootloader mode
3. Press the volume keys to cycle to the Recovery mode option
4. Press the power button to select Recovery mode
5. From the Recovery mode screen, press and hold the Power button then press the Volume up button.
6. Use the volume buttons to select wipe data/factory reset.
7. Select Yes -- delete all user data.
8. The factory data reset process will now start. Once its finished, select 'Reboot system now.'

If none of these steps resolve the issue, please let me know, and I will continue to investigate the problem - any other detail you can provide about the issue and how/when it occurs will be extremely helpful. And also, if
you need any additional help or if there is anything else I can do for you,
please feel free to contact me directly by replying to this email.

Best
regards,

The Google Support
Team

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 12/18/13 2:20 PM
After trying the three steps I reported to them that I was still able to experience the screen not waking up is using the speaker. 

Here was their response

Regarding the latest situation here, the device had a software bug issue since the sensor seems to work properly during the call. I submitted your issues and feedback to the software department,  and hope that they'll fix it soon for you. However for the current time, you're able to keep eye on the future update for the 4.4 version in order to solve your issue.

If you need any
additional help or if there is anything else I can do for you, please feel free
to contact me directly by replying to this email.

Best
regards,

The Google Support
Team

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 12/18/13 2:27 PM
I was not comfortable with the answer above so I asked them when they would try to reproduce the issue or create a fix and what was my warranty period.
So I decided the only way I would know if it was a bad sensor would be to RMA the phone.
The process is they will authorize your card for the full amount and send you the other and then you send the phone back after you get the replacement. 
I cant ask for much more.
I thought their service was prompt and can only hope the phone build was the issue.
I will report back when I get the new phone. 

Here was their answer:

Thank you for contacting Google, I will do everything I can to get this resolved for you today.

For the current time, we're unable to solve your issue since it's still exist after all of the troubleshoot steps and I apologize for the inconvenience that happened with your device. However after I consult this case with my supervisor, we're able to proceed you for an RMA replacement process. And also, your Nexus 5 is still under our warranty coverage. Do you want me to just proceed for an RMA replacement process for your device? If yes, please provide me couple of information below:
1. IMEI number of your Nexus 5 (Settings>About Phone> Status)
2. Billing and shipping address

If you need any
additional help or if there is anything else I can do for you, please feel free
to contact me directly by replying to this email.

Best
regards,

The Google Support
Team

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Adelynn Drescher 12/22/13 8:35 PM
I am having the same issue. Before updating to 4.4 I noticed my phone's display going black during phone calls and the only way to get the screen back was to hold the power button and basically hang up on the phone call. After searching to fix it in Phone>Menu>Call Settings there was an option to leave the screen on during the phone call and it was fixed. It had nothing to do with the proximity sensor it was a setting. In 4.4 this setting is not there so I have no idea how to fix it.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Franck Amoros 12/23/13 4:12 PM
I'm having the same here too. I tried everything and nothing does it....It's driving me insane , can't check my voicemail , can't open my buiding gate , can't call any tech support with automated tone menu , can't check anything on my phone while on cal etc.etc.etc It's a real nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It make NO sense whatsoever that I can;t just touch my screen to get out of blackout.....
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 12/30/13 7:49 PM
Update:
I received my Nexus 5 replacement and can confirm the problem still exists. Unless they all have bad sensors, this is an issue with the phones being sent to my area in the US or is a software bug. 

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 12/31/13 3:49 AM
Thanks for the update. I figured that a new phone would not solve the issue. I still think it is a simple bug within the dialer app itself. They just need to add an option for the phone to not lock the screen while in a call.
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Temiloluwa Kowobari 1/4/14 8:54 AM
Had the same problem, but now I just turn screen horizontally and it wakes up my screen.

Best of luck.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 1/4/14 9:07 AM
It is not as much about waking up  the phone but being to hang up the phone with the power button.

So can you confirm that you have the setting to hang up the phone with the power button active and you can wake the screen?  I have not tied turning it horizontal with the replacement  but shook it and turned it  all around with no luck. 
Next longer call I will have to try with the replacement.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 1/4/14 10:49 AM
Tried rotating and it does nothing.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 1/4/14 2:13 PM
Same problem with my friend's phone. His is from a new batch. He got his a few days ago.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Ravi Choudhary 1/7/14 10:27 PM
I am also facing the same problem in my nexus 5 in India, yesterday night by mistake I click on a contact while searching for a contact then it starts calling to wrong person then screen goes black and I was not able to disconnect that call, I have pressed the power button then also screen not turns on.
This is very big problem and also there is no option present in settings for "don't turn off screen while calling".
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Carla G. 1/8/14 2:34 PM
I just wanted to share, that I haven't experienced this issue.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the timing of when I ordered my 32GB from Google Play, which was 11/25/13. Perhaps there was some updated hardware.

I hope there is a fix very soon for those of you who are having issues.

Black 32GB on 4.4.2 in US.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Chris Thrower 1/9/14 1:48 AM
I had this problem with 3 N4's and still have it on my 2nd N5.
It's a pain having to shut the phone off after a call and then go back into the dialler to make another call,which i often do.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mamta banga 1/9/14 6:38 AM
Hi, 

I am having the same problem with my Nexus 5 in India. I have turned off the 'end call with power button' and it does help.  Pressing the power button wakes up the screen. But I believe that cannot be a permanent solution since the call at times doesn't get disconnected by the red bar on the screen. Would be glad if anyone can share a better solution - any update or any app that can help. Thanks.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 1/9/14 6:55 AM
It is interesting how a few do not have this issue.  As for the date. I received my first one just Nov 22 2013 and the second one last week of December.  So I am not sure if the first batch the ones who got the phone before the  first batch sold out, was any different. What I do know is that two phones and the same problem.

Google thanked me for my input and just said to stay tuned for the next 4.4 update.

Friends, if you want them to fix it you MUST call them at the numbers listed above.  Very few are reading this topic so I do not think it is on their radar.  So contacting google will  go further to make sure they are working on it. 

Also please do not forget to post which version and color and country  of the phone just for accurate tracking.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up amandeep bansal 1/11/14 4:25 AM
hello Mak K

my name is amandeep and i am from india using the same nexus 5 updated version 4.4.2.   i just had bought this one two weeks ago and recently i have contacted to LG care about Proximity sensor problem....i have the same issue that is ..for long calls it did not show up the screen itself except i have to press the power button....They told me to do Factory data reset ..which i had done  but the problem after that still remains....then told me to go to lg service centre and get ur product replaced....they replaced the PCB inside this mobile and after that again using it, same problem persists...after 1 to 2 mintues of long call it does not show up......i m replying to you .because u had the same problem and i want to know ..does ur problem solved or not ???

Thanks 

Amandeep
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up amandeep bansal 1/11/14 4:30 AM
hello mousetamer
my name is amandeep and i am from india using the same nexus 5 updated version 4.4.2.   i just had bought this one two weeks ago and recently i have contacted to LG care about Proximity sensor problem....i have the same issue that is ..for long calls it did not show up the screen itself except i have to press the power button....They told me to do Factory data reset ..which i had done  but the problem after that still remains....then told me to go to lg service centre and get ur product replaced....they replaced the PCB inside this mobile and after that again using it, same problem persists...after 1 to 2 mintues of long call it does not show up......i m replying to you .because u had the same problem and i want to know ..does ur problem solved or not ???

Thanks 

Amandeep
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 1/11/14 4:50 AM
I'm waiting for Google to release 4.4.3 to see if this behavior changes. I still don't think it is a hardware problem. Even from this thread we know that it is not a batch issue either since the new phones are doing it too. Plus, phones in different parts of the world are experiencing the same problem.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 1/11/14 5:58 AM
Sorry Amandeep,  a replacement did not fix the issue.  The more than call them  or replace the phone the more they will work on the bug. 
All they will tell  me now is wait for the next  cop.  I guess as long as they do it in the next warranty period I will be fine.   To me it seems like it should be an easy fix as long as the techs see the problem.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up shyamal thatte 1/11/14 7:03 AM
Hi my phone started displaying this behavior in 2 weeks. From India, will try restart and some more tests prior to RMA

Very strange that cannot see even who is calling and no way to kill call after call

Shyamal

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up AQ95 1/15/14 6:28 AM
I have been having the same issue as well with the screen not working while you're in a call. I know this isn't a complete fix/solution to the problem but I've found that my screen works every time i plug in a pair of headphones!
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 1/15/14 6:53 AM
And you have the feature "power button to hang up"  set?  
Please answer that as well as what phone you have and what country you are in.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Bharanidhar Reddy 1/21/14 11:50 PM
I too have the same issue, cannot see who is calling or even disconnect the call, as the screen stays as usual, I'am using HTC One GPE, but have to restart the phone, after a day the issue re-occurs. I'm sure its a OS issue.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up shr2608 1/24/14 3:50 AM
Hi guys,
I use a nexus 5 32g and it was bought in US. Android ver is 4.4
I often experience the same problems when i make calls. But it doesnt always happen.
I realized that if i make a call, the sensor works in a way that if my hand or ear is near to the screen, the screen goes black. If you could try testing the same thing on your phones, you could know if the sensor is doing it or the software is messed up.
But it happens sometimes, and sometimes it just goes black till someone picks up and hangs up or the call gets auto disconnected for no answer.
If its a software issue, it should be resolved in the next update. For now, im just using an app to confirm calls so that i dont call people by mistake( and it doesnt let u hang up).
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 1/24/14 6:19 AM
Yes the screen will black if not on speaker and close to cheek. This topic is more about the speaker phone setting and the  a screen not waking. The screen is supposed to darken on normal calls when phone is close to face. ( I have some issues with cheek hang ups but that is for another post.)
I hope those with problems take the time to call Google or they won't put fixes in the next update. CALL them so they see.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Iliang Chen 1/26/14 6:54 AM
this happened to two of my old LG phones.  after I was on my phone for awhile and screen went black and I tried to 'wake it up' to try to dial on the key pad, and it wont response. it either remain locked down till the other person hang up the phone or I have to physically remove the battery to reboot the phone. very frustrated. I am really looking hard and have my mind set on buying N5 in the next few days. but since I have read this that remind me my LG phones and along with other issue that many people have problem with when you are on LTE and you cant receive or send the txt thru the phone?? I don't know, I am a heavy texter, this is not acceptable... the more I read about it, the more I am thinking about getting different phone...
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 1/26/14 8:08 AM
Sorry Liang you past experience IS NOT  the same.   No need to remove the batter.   I do not have txt issues.  
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Parthtrivedi 1/30/14 9:02 AM
Hey,

I bought 2 nexus 5 32gigs delivered to in New Jersey on 6/12/2013(6th Dec). only one of them is facing this problem and the temporary solution that worked for me was a plain restart and I am of the strong opinion that it is a software issue and hopefully it will be fixed in the 4.4.3 update. Although I will still give google a call about this in the helpline number provided in this thread.

Thanks and regards,

Parth Trivedi
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Allen Kuruvilla 1/31/14 8:30 AM
Looks like everyone is having the same issue...

While dialling numbers, the screen goes blank and it reappears after few seconds and then goes blank again...
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 1/31/14 1:33 PM
I am sorry that is not the same issue I originally posted. You have other issues if you are trying to dial and your screen goes blank. You should RMA the phone
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Steven Owens 1/31/14 4:35 PM
Same problem here.  

Nexus 5 32GB, part of the very first run, I think I ordered it from google the day it came out.

It's updated so I'm on 4.4.2 as of January 31, 2014.

In general my experience matches that of most people here:

If I'm on a call and I put the phone up to my ear and the screen goes blank, I can't get it to unblank.
Moving the phone away from my face doesn't help.
Pressing the power button or volume buttons doesn't help.
Just now I ended up holding down the power button to reboot the phone, in order to hang up.
I haven't yet tried rotating it, but I'll try that next time.

Possible short-term fix:  

Back with my nexus 1, there was a problem with the power button failing.   You could still get it to turn on by playing a game with unplugging/replugging the battery and charger in a certain sequence, but then you couldn't get the screen to unblank without the power button.  For a month or two (until the next nexus phone came out) I used an app that made it so the volume buttons unblanked the screen.  I'll have to dig up my notes and see what that app's called, see if there's a version that will work on the nexus 5.

Steven J. Owens
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Frank R 2/1/14 3:55 AM
Experiencing the same issue on 4.4.2.

The only work around I've found was to increase the screen sleep setting to a period longer than 30 seconds. I've set display sleep settings to two minutes, and haven't had the issue since, even on relatively long calls.

Changing this setting obviously means you need to be more proactive with locking the screen when not in use in order to save charge, a temporary workaround nonetheless.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 2/1/14 7:06 AM
Frank
Are you saying that if you increase the screen on time and have the phone set to "hang up with power button"  The screen will turn off  after two minutes and then you can still  wake the screen from pulling away from the face?  Or are you saying that the screen then never turns off?  I still have issues with cheek hanging up  if i trigger the screen on so did not  know it prevents hang ups while close to face even is screen is on.

Either way, I hope you contacted them. They do not seem to read this topic so the only way they will work on it is by people calling and complaining.   
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up rana 2/1/14 8:38 PM
Guys, its the same problem here. I got my 16gb about 3 weeks back. So, it is not a batch issue definitely.
A lot of times I do my calls on a headphone, esp., the long ones. I was happy that I could hang up with the power button. But then I realized I was completely locked out as long I was on the call - so no chance of adding another person to the ongoing call, or checking a document / mail / calendar, etc.,. This is a usability issue or a design issue that needs a fix.

I would be buzzing the call centre off in a few minutes.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Anthony Olivence 2/4/14 10:20 AM
This happens to me as well.  It's definitely the sensor.  It's a shame there's no feature to work around this or calibrate it correctly. It's impossible to multitask without losing your mind in dark places. In brighter conditions, turning the phone parallel to the ground wakes the screen due to more light I'm guessing, but who wants to use a phone horizontally anyway?   This NEEDS a fix.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up rana 2/4/14 6:53 PM
Hi Anthony,
I think you are facing a different issue from the ones we are discussing in this thread. Our concern is mainly to do with there being no option to turn the screen back on when the power button is set as the call ending button in Accessibility settings. Its not a hardware problem for us.
Your issue seems more to do with the light sensor/proximity sensor. I would advise you to call up the help number and get a replacement.

---
Update on my status: I did call up google and gave them a piece of my mind. they told me to do the same standard replies which I knew wouldn't help. For the now, I unchecked the power button option :(
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up adeev el aziz 2/6/14 7:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSwnJyIshvo

Nexus 7 Freezing problem FIXED

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 2/6/14 7:52 AM
adeeve el aziz wrong forum or it is spam. I am not clicking on the link to find out
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up samy kebbiche 2/6/14 8:55 AM
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up rana 2/6/14 9:24 AM
We are talking about Nexus 5 and here is a moron publicizing some despo channel !
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up sharadt 2/7/14 4:17 AM
I have the same problem.
It generally happens after long phone calls.
After rebooting, the problem gets fixed temporarily.

Phone details:
Phone: Nexus 5
Version: 4.4.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0-gadb2201
Build number:KOT49H

Can you please write down the google phone number again?
Also if you have any email address where I can write to google?

Thanks.

Sharad
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 2/7/14 6:36 AM
Same issue with my friend's new phone. She just got it Monday so it must be from a newer batch. This is why I still believe this is a software issue which will be fixed with the next KK update or two.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up marlon salem 2/8/14 8:25 AM
Same issue , Nexus 5 and i am from Canada .... Recieve and outgoing call screen turns into black (sleep),  How we resolve this issue?  Its pretty obvious that is a factory floss Do you guys agree?
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Rachael Erekson 2/8/14 9:27 AM
Go to settings. Click accessibility. Unchecked end call with power button.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up w4r7 2/10/14 11:40 PM
Today a friend was able to discover that my " screen protector" that came along with my Spigen Ultra Hybrid, was the culprit. Apparently, as most of you have come across, the sensor located on the upper left of the receiver will create issues of the protector isn't clean, bubbly, not attached correctly. Whichever the case, once I removed said protector, the problem no longer existed. This resolution was after Google searching it and coming across threads such as this. Hope this helps.

-W.P.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Tomasz Akizu Wańda 2/11/14 3:44 AM
Hello. I have the same issue.
I have Nexus 5 16GB model, Android 4.4. European distribution. Im in Poland but my Nexus comes from some other country as i bought it in early january, before it officially came out in Poland. I believe its from Portugal distribution (or some other country with similar language).
I have option to hang up with power button enabled as I use this feature quite often.
Proximity sensor works fine during short calls.
During longer calls I tend to switch to speaker so I dont have to keep phone next to my ear. I have screen auto-lock set to 1 minute.
The problem is that after 1 minute of not touching anything the screen locks and I have no way to unlock it without hanging up.
The screen is off and doesnt react, volume button adjusts volume just fine but wont wake up the screen, proximity/light sensors dont do anything. Only way to turn the screen back on is by pressing power button but that will cause me to hang up.

My dad also got Nexus 5 16GB model. He got it few weeks later from Polish distribution. He has same issue.

Is there any way to disable automatic-lock during calls or to set it so screen will turn on if volume button is pressed? This is clearly a software issue so if we are not getting an update to fix this then maybe there is some app or widget that can change those settings?
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Daniele Proietti Scaramella 2/11/14 9:31 AM
Ciao.     Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up......
I nave the same problem..... Please send me a mail if you have solve this problem.... Tanks a lot...
Ciao Daniele
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Brian Yong 2/14/14 12:22 AM
Hi Mak K.

I too have the same problem.

Any work around yet?

Brian
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Rajesh Rosia 2/20/14 7:43 AM
Also have the same problem. Google has to solve this as most of nexus user are have the same problem. 

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up HAZELDOEVERYCARE 2/26/14 6:36 PM
It's been about 2 weeks now that my phone went crazy. 
I made a very important calls today, and as soon as I dialed the number, my screen went black not waking up.
I pressed power button, then briefly come up, but not long enough for me to hang up, several times pressing the power button, then finally it hung up and screen came back on.
I am very frustrated using the phone, since a lot of them ask to enter their extensions, but if the screen goes black, how I would press any button?

I've just wiped the cache following one advise, but really I do not know why.
I noticed though, it only started to happen after I replaced the screen protector and the case, I already ditched the case, but only took the screen protector off right after I read this website.
I could tell the case was weird, because when I made phone calls without that, it never happened, so back then I thought it was only the case problem, hopefully this does not happen again since I don't have a case or protector.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Steven Owens 2/27/14 8:03 AM
I have the same problem.  I called google and complained.  

I asked if there was a web-based bug filing form, or a tracking number for this issue, or at least for my complaint.  

No to all three.   That's kind of annoying.

I used to have a nexus one, which was a great phone but had a tendency to keep working for years, until finally the power button failed.  There were several apps to wake the screen via the volume button or any other button - unfortunately, none of these work on kitkat.

So far I'm making do with the setting to hang up if power button is pressed.  At least now I can hang up. 

I recently bought a bluetooth headset.   I've found that if I start the call with the headset off, the screen blanks, then I turn the headset on, the screen wakes back up when the phone switches over to the headset.  At least this way I can occasionally make conference calls.

Steven J. Owens
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up HAZELDOEVERYCARE 2/27/14 6:05 PM
From the previous post as someone mentioned, I took out the screen protector yesterday, so far the screen didn't black out, so you may try that.
Although, I still cannot get over the car blue tooth drop out, so scared if an important calls comes while I am driving.
Anyway, the phone itself looks good, big and nice, I guess that is all I can say about Nexus phone.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up bill hilliard 2/28/14 4:09 PM
thank you. I had the same problem and your help worked great.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up yeknodano 3/4/14 5:54 AM
I can't hang up after making a call either. It's embarrassing. I have to wait for the other person to hang up because my screen doesn't wake up when I take the phone away from my ear. I don't use a screen protector. What a joke. Is there any fix for this?
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 3/4/14 6:12 AM
You must read the thread from the start.  Dont be lazy.  Just follow the simple instructions to the only work around. You can hang up just fine if you change the power button settings. It is up to you to read. The thread is not that long.  But one thing I MUST repeat and know many of you are not doing is CONTACT GOOGLE. THEY WILL NOT  NOT NOT do a darn  thing if they do not see enough complaints. You must CALL them to get it registered in the system. IT DOES NOT MATTER if OTHERS have done it  CHANGES happen ONLY when there is ENOUGH complaints.  If you can not bother to read how to work around this, you really dont want a solution.   If you have not called and have the problem, shame on you!  
If you have called them, GREAT! 
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up yeknodano 3/4/14 6:39 AM
Funny, I've only recently started using Google and Android products, just to see what they were like after my last smartphone. I always had a slight reservation using Google products. I was pleasantly surprised by the Nexus, but there's a few niggles that annoy me. So this is the first time I've used the forums for support for help with one of those niggles. I read the thread right through. To be honest, it was tough going, not least because of the level of aggression displayed by so many users, and not least because of the plain format and small fonts, not to mention the quality of writing in so many posts. 

I did think about contacting Google, but wouldn't know how to, and thought it best to try the support forum first.

I did see one post in this thread that mentioned I should go into my Accessibility settings to sort this problem out. I didn't really pay much attention to it, because I didn't see why I should start changing Accessibility settings to fix a software problem. I asked if there was a fix for this issue, not a workaround. Changing the Accessibility settings won't change whether the screen wakes up when I pull the phone away from my ear. All it means is that I can now press a button to wake the screen. Well I could already do that. What I wanted was for the phone I paid over £300 for to allow me to hit the hang up button on screen after a call. It's quite a basic feature that you might expect a phone to do. 

Having said all this, I'm just astonished at the difference between this forum and other forums for competitor manufacturers. I have posted quite a lot of questions to another support forum to ask questions related to Word and Office products several times. I have never once known the respondents to be impolite or indeed aggressive, and certainly not to shout at other users by writing in CAPITALS. 

I don't think I'll be sticking with Google products after this. I should have known better. And I'll be cancelling my £9.99/mth Google Play All Access account too. Cheers. Have a lovely day.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mghia 3/4/14 8:45 AM
It is sad that you do not  choose to read and that is not my fault your system displays fonts that is on your end.  
YOU need to read what is available as we know it.  SOme have tried to post here saying  "I did not want to read the thread"  Well  that is just lazy.
You say "I did see one post in this thread that mentioned I should go into my Accessibility settings to sort this problem out. I didn't really pay much attention to it, because I didn't see why I should start changing Accessibility settings to fix a software problem."
Well if you took the time to read, you would see what we can do currently and what is to be done,
Sadly YOU state you did not pay attention to the advice.
But the work around is a fix. 
YOU said  : " Changing the Accessibility settings won't change whether the screen wakes up when I pull the phone away from my ear. All it means is that I can now press a button to wake the screen."

Exactly. Remember you said how "EMBARRASSING" it is to have to wait to have someone hang up.  First off I was not clear why you are embarrassed and second, and most important, if you followed the work around, you would see you dont have to be embarrassed.  This fixes your embarrassment.  Press the power button screen lights up and you hang up.  
It may not be what we all want but it is the only work around and you wasted my time making me retype the advice already given if you toll the time to PAY ATTENTION to  what has been written,  
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Steven Owens 3/4/14 11:00 AM
BEFORE POSTING MAKE SURE YOU READ AND FOLLOW THESE STEPS

Not sure people will see this, but just on the off chance it saves some time:

1) this thread is about when your nexus 5 screen does not "wake" (turn back on) after you start your call.

2) this appears to be a SOFTWARE bug, not a hardware issue.  Read the thread for details.

(short version:  make sure you don't have a screen protector or anything else blocking the proximity sensor,
but a lot of people have checked this and still have the problem)

3) to be able to HANG UP (but it still doesn't fix the other issues):

3a) open Settings, 
3b) scroll down to Accessibility (near the bottom)
3c) turn on "Power button ends call" 

Now you can hang up the call by pressing your power button.  

It's not a complete fix, but at least you can hang up.

4) If you have a bluetooth headset, activating the headset during the call will wake the screen without hanging up.  

By doing this you can at least arrange a three-way call.

5) Finally:

CALL GOOGLE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS. 

Every user who has the problem MUST CALL GOOGLE or they will assume it's not really a problem, just idiot users who can't figure out their phone.

Find the support phone number for your country on this page https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3053039?hl=en&ref_topic=3398569

Google support will ask you to try three things, safe mode, clearing the cache and factory reset, see mghia's post above (the one that starts with "Hello all.
I wanted to  keep you updated. I called Google at the number...") for the details.

Everybody here has tried these steps, they don't help, but they still have to ask you to, so try them before you call google.

Good luck and good night.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Fakhri Lokhandwala 3/5/14 5:43 AM
i am having the same issue but if i am using a handsfree i am not having this issue the screen is perfectly alright 

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up David Kavic 3/5/14 4:16 PM
Count me among all of you. I cannot hang up calls fairly often. I think its a light lux issue.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Steven Owens 3/5/14 4:33 PM
> I think its a light lux issue.

Interesting suggestion.  I have been using the free Veils app, which is very similar.  I've uninstalled it, we'll see if that changes anything.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Kenny Boggs 3/5/14 5:01 PM
I have just changed my screen after smashing the original one and I am now suffering from the same affect.

With the original screen I did not have this problem.  I ordered and replaced the product { http://www.etradesupply.com/lg-nexus-5-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-with-frame-21545.html }
This has many of the components in it which could be causing the problem, but the mother board is not included.  The prox sensor is attached to the mother board as best as I can remember though.

Hope Google decides to pull finger and get this fixed soon!!

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Steven Owens 3/6/14 8:36 PM
So after  a day with Veils uninstalled, I'm seeing no difference, the same problem is occurring.

It's really quite maddening.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Sana Bhardwaj 3/9/14 6:39 PM
hey there is this another problem I'm facing on my NEXUS 5 device. The touch isn't working. Power button and volume keys are working but the touch is NOT. I can't really switch it off or reboot it without that . help me! I'm accepting calls using my headphones only. The touch seems to be non existent. 
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Credgett 3/14/14 6:45 PM
I have also had this problem. I tried some of the possible fixes in the thread and it is still an issue. Hopefully Google releases a software update soon
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up HAZELDOEVERYCARE 3/14/14 6:55 PM
Do you have any slip on case, I mean besides the simple plastic case that does not have to shove your phone in.
The reason I say this is that I started to have this problem when I bought a new type of case that I had to slip my phone in, and bought the new phone screen protector, but this problem disappeared once I read this forum about screen protector blocking the sensor, so try your phone without the case and screen protector, you never know that your phone might work also.

Good luck!
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up nea walker 3/20/14 3:53 PM
I accidentally found a work around until they fix it. When the screen goes black, hold your phone upside down and it will light up. Then you can hang up and it goes back to normal.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Peter Wehrli 3/24/14 4:23 PM
I got a new NEXUS5 today - Same problem - even now, more than several months later! Google is sleeping! UFF ...I will buy SAMSUNG again! 

At least I discovered: when a headphone ist firmly plugged in, the phenomenon changes: you'll have to press the start button about 3 times when the phone rings, but then, the screen remains lit! 

STRANGE!! ANNOYING!!
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Prem Kujur 3/25/14 12:50 AM
I have the same problem on my Nexus 4...
Please advise.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Prem Kujur 3/25/14 12:58 AM
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 3/28/14 1:31 PM
If
 you do not contact google and let them know, they might never fix it. It is not enough to moan over here as I dont think google reads this since they have not had anyone respond.

Call them

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Stephen Yuan 4/1/14 2:56 PM
To enable this feature, simply navigate to Settings Accessibility > Power button ends call. Make sure that’s checked, and you should be good to go.

Have you tried this tip yet? Do the opposite and you should be able to cancel it. 
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Maennes 4/2/14 9:56 AM
I don't have a Nexus, but a Google Play version Samsung S4. Same, frustrating experience with screen staying black.

Here's a workaround that seems to work consistently:
1. Answer the incoming call (swipe icon to right)
2. BEFORE you bring the phone to your ear, select the icon for the number pad (bottom left)
3. Now start your conversation. Everytime to remove your phone from your face, the screen comes back on within a second or so; and it duly goes black if you bring it back to the face.

Hope this helps others

(unknown) 4/4/14 1:33 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up AQ AXS 4/4/14 1:33 AM
Ive got the same **** with nexus 5. Brand new out of box. Keep hanging up on my friends when I try to wake the device.  
Called Google support but by the time they play the options the screen goes black so I can't hit option 3 or 4.
Classic catch 22.

Perhaps that's the error. Catch 22.

Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up vikysrivastava 4/4/14 10:02 AM
I recently bought nexus 5..same problem I got..
I tried all the steps
Reset
Recovery
Safe mode
But any of these didn't work...just using headphones all the time to appear the screen during call at least this works for me...
Thanks frnds for sharing useful solution to get rid of this annoying issue.
Already contacted Google numbers..hope they fix it soon..

(unknown) 4/7/14 11:36 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up FisherOfMen58 4/7/14 11:58 AM
Kenny Boggs, I bought the same product after breaking my screen. Take it back apart, remove the blueish cover over the proximity sensor, make sure you have them off of the front facing camera too!

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Atul Nahata 4/12/14 4:17 AM
I have also bought a Nexus 5 32GB and I have the same problem.  Called up the Google playstore and did all the funny steps ! but nothing changes.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up HAZELDOEVERYCARE 4/12/14 4:59 AM
Once I read an article posted by a person, it really works.  He said that when your screen goes black, turn your phone face down briefly and up, and your will see the screen live, YES, that really works on my phone.
After I took off the screen protector and changed the case which doesn't bother the sensor, it didn't happen, but once in a while my phone still acted little funny, I mean it went black, then right away, I turn my phone face down, then the screen comes back on, so I can use the dial pad or hang up. (Also, make your power key for hang up)
Yes, it is not pleasant to deal with this issue with your new phone, but try that option.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 4/12/14 5:44 AM
Atul,  No onew said Google would help. The REASON you call and go through the steps is to let Google keep a count of  all those with the problem. The  more complaints the more likely they will try  to fix it.

For those of you are to lazy to call,  you are hurting yourself and others by not calling to complain. Dont be lazy!
Atul and others, make sure you call back to be let them know it did not  work.   Otherwise they will think the reboot helped.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 4/13/14 5:09 AM
Turning the phone face down does nothing for me. 4.4.3 is due out soon and I hope this is one of the bugs it fixes. If the issue persists after the patch, I will request an RMA at that point.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Cheeko 4/13/14 1:35 PM
I thought I had the screen darkening and not relighting problem too. (nexus 5, kitkat). So today I did some testing and found:

regular use (phone to ear)

screen blanks and re-lights as it should

proximity sensor's at top rt of screen (a finger brought near causes blackout)

microphone's on bottom rt of base, and is not sensitive, must speak within an inch or so of it

position of unit makes no difference (such as upside down)

on speakerphone

mic is more sensitive; can speak many inches away

screen never blanks (even if brought near to ear)

position doesn't matter (upside down is OK)

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Bruno Brittz 4/19/14 3:01 PM
I have the same issues. I'm from Brazil. I have a new Nexus 5 white version with Android 4.4.2. The Google don't have a number for my country. =/
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up vbm on android 4/24/14 4:58 PM
I have a new "Australian" Nexus 5 (1 week old) on 4.4.2. with the same problem. I use the power button to hang up the call and if I put the call on speaker, once the screen goes black I can't bring it back up without hanging up the call which is either a bug or the most absurd "feature" I ever seen. :)

For avoidance of doubts: the proximity sensor IS working. If I call someone without putting the phone on speaker an put my hand close to the phone, the screen goes black and comes back up as I move my hand away.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Carmen Ayala 4/28/14 10:03 PM
I'm having the same problem and pushing on the power button whether it's a long push or several short small pushes or taps, or a Combination of volume buttons work the power button, nothing is waking the phone up. When I need to make a keypad entry in other words if I'm on a phone call I need to hit 0 I cannot bring up the keypad.  now if I am in Boyceville I don't lose the keypad I can use it I can hang out no problem. However when I get a phone call or I make a phone call the display will not come up the matter what key combination I hit I cannot make any choices and I also cannot hang up the call I cannot hang up the call even if they call in or I'm calling out the other person has to hang me up if I get stuck in somebody's voicemail I have to wait for the voice mail to disconnect the call because I have no control over the calls.  

I also have the issue of the phone not ringing and calls coming in and me not being allerted. If the person left a voicemail then I'm lucky and the system leaves an icon. If no msg then i will never know because it doesn't show a missed call. Not only does it not ring but it doesn't register a missed call either.

I also have a connectivity issue the other day I'm sitting there trying to load a game and it tells me that I have no internet connection but the icon at the top shows 3G so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Anil.sharma 5/4/14 7:16 PM
Hi All,

I also having the same problem with my Nexus 5. Screen goes off during call(if call duration is more than 1 minute).

I have not tried above 3 steps given by google and even i dont think, it will make any difference as many of them have already tried these steps.

The only workaround, i found is to turned off the 'end call with power button' and  pressing the power button wakes up the screen. But this is not a permanent solution and even after turning off the power button option, i cannot use this feature to end call with power button.

Please let me know, if you have any other better solution or have any official update regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Anil

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up HAZELDOEVERYCARE 5/4/14 7:34 PM
Try flip the phone after your phone call is done, and if you don't see the screen back on, also don't forget to give it little shake at the same time, 9 out of 10 times you will see your screen comes back to life.

For me now, my bluetooth keeps dying on me whenever I'm on the phone, keeps disconnecting, then reconnecting, it just drives me crazy.

Hope my trick helps you.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Anil.sharma 5/4/14 7:56 PM
Thanks for your suggestion.

I want to wake up my phone screen during call, not after call is done. I also tried to shake my phone, but it didn't work. Screen turns on only when another person disconnect the call or i press the power button.

Best Regards,
Anil

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Bruno Brittz 5/5/14 5:59 AM
Hey People,

I have requested a RMA and  I received a new N5, and now the problem is solved. I think it's a hardware problem.

Thank you and good luck.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Razr user 5/5/14 7:09 AM
I have same problem - just started two days ago.  That would indicate this is a software problem, not hardware related(??).
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 5/5/14 10:02 AM
Always good to hear but frustrating as my replacement phone did not fix the issue and they said to wait to see next update which has not happened all these many months later.
HazelDoveVeryCare,  no, flipping my phone around or shaking or anything will not wake it.

Remember by Nexus 5 US version 32GB did this right out of the box and was RMA and that phone did the same thing.

So it is concerning to me that some dont have this issue and others do.

THIS IS WHY I ASK YOU ALL TO PUT YOUR PHONE SPECS DOWN!  This way we might be able to pin point that phones in some countries might be working or not.  Maybe there is a pattern for those who have it working and those who dont.    
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Anil.sharma 5/5/14 11:18 AM
Hi Mak,

Below is my phone specifications:

Nexus 5 16GB

Please let me know if i need to mention anything else.

Best Regards,
Anil

black while making call but can not see screen until hang up yasir mohy 5/5/14 11:18 AM
i find way but its stupid
when goes screen black , just connect cable charging (must other side (usb) connect with PC, ANKER or charger)
until now google cant solve this problem
(unknown) 5/5/14 11:18 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up vbm on android 5/10/14 10:59 PM
Nexus 5 32GB

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Ong KuNong 5/12/14 10:19 AM
Can I use this method as your? I have bought my Nexus 5 about 4 months.

Thank you.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Razr user 5/12/14 10:53 AM
FIXED:  Verizon walked me through the process of turning off the proximity sensor.  This change fixed the screen shutting off; not sure what capability or feature I lost by turning off the proximity sensor, but at least the phone is functional and I don't have to go buy an iphone.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Bruno Brittz 5/12/14 11:31 AM
My Nexus 5 is working ok!!!! As I said, the RMA request solved my issue.

Nexus 5 16GB

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Allison Yerxa 5/13/14 3:50 PM
you have no idea how much of a life saver you are..my mother got a new phone and was having this same issue and we switched it out for a new one but continued to have the same problem then I read your post and realized that she had a sticker on the right side of the ear piece on both phones as soon as I removd the sticker the phone worked perfectly!! thank you again so much cuz I would have never have thought that it was the sticker causing the issue..
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 5/14/14 9:29 AM
Allson what phone do yu have?  There are no" stickers" on a nexus 5 Also I had this issue without a screen protector.

Razr what phone do you have,  I do not see any menus in Nexus 5 to shut the sensor off.   If there is a way, which I am not sure that will fix the issue since this is a screen  SLEEP issue, let us know what Verizon told you.

Bruno, I have the same specs as you , had the phone RMA for a new one and still have the issue.   The only difference in the specs is that you are in Brazil and had the RMA, I assume later.
My RMA was in December.  
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Razr user 5/14/14 9:13 PM
Sorry - but I have not been able to replicate the procedure that the Verizon tech guy walked me through.  I thought it was in Phone Settings but have not been able to find it.  However, note that I am still having some trouble with the phone as it now seems that the proximity sensor is once again active, though the screen is not shutting off. Instead it is hyper sensitive and working when I am on a call when i don't want it to; e.g., going to the home screen, activating the camera or other apps, etc.  At least I can end a call now...
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Samir Attar 5/19/14 10:41 PM
same issue with my phone.. its Nexus 4.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Samir Attar 5/22/14 12:20 PM
I removed phone case and the issue resolved.. weired. ..  now I am not sure if I shall buy a case.. any way.. I am happy that my phone is working fine now.. 
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up HAZELDOEVERYCARE 5/22/14 4:18 PM
That is what happened to my phone as well, after I read other people's articles, I've removed the case, and removed the protector.
Only couple of time after it happened, then I flipped my phone upside down, then screen showed up, nowadays, I have no issue.
It is weird, but as someone mentioned, whatever it is there, if it blocked the sensor, I think this issue occurs, that could be dust or smudge.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 5/22/14 4:49 PM
great but I have a Nexus 5 32 GB from US. Bought in  November, no  case or screen protector and this was the same on TWO phones.  No screen protector. Phone does not light up when flipped or shaken. 
This topic is about  the feature of the screen NOT WAKING when the Hang up with power button feature is ENABLED.

Hazel Dove have you already stated if you have that feature  enabled and that you have a Nexus 5 and what country you bought yours? Do ou have the  power button  hang up enabled?  When did you get your phone?

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up shail vats 6/2/14 1:53 AM
Do you have True Caller or any other such application or any application that is used to avoid pocket dial? 

I had a similar issue and disabling that application got it fixed
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 6/2/14 4:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. In my case, no, I dont have  a pocket dial application.   Right out of the box, the new replacement had the same issue as the first one.   

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Aaron G Dillon 6/3/14 6:51 PM
Do you have a magnet near the phone?  Maybe in the case?

I have a LG Nexus 5 and a wallet with a magnet in it.  When my wallet is next to the phone it doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up HAZELDOEVERYCARE 6/3/14 7:01 PM
What a great discovery!
I mean right now I don't have any problem since I got rid of that kind of casing, but now I think about that time, yes, I had a case with magnet in it.
I never thought about that part, but it makes the perfect sense that magnet disturbed the phone's function.
Thanks.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 6/3/14 8:20 PM
I dont have a case or a magnet.  I am not sure what is not working when the magnet is near.  The phone does not function.
The topic here is about if you can wake the screen when you have the feature of hang up with power button.  Aaron can you wake a black screen and hang up your phone with the power button? If so when did you purcahse your phone. I am on my second phone and right out of the box had the issue.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up mousetamer 6/4/14 6:23 PM
No difference on my phone after 4.4.3. Maybe Lollypop will finally fix it.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 6/5/14 6:58 PM
FIXED! with 4.3 on my Nexus 5 32 GB from US
I was on a voice call , not speaker, screen went dark, while on call, Moved away  from face and it came on. I will be honest. gave it a little shake as I was anxious to see if it worked.  
I was on speaker phone, screen went dark, gave a shake and  screen turned on.  Can hang up with power button .

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up dezzadk 6/9/14 7:32 AM
Not fixed in 4.4.3.

I'm so disappointed over the Nexus brand. Hasn't been the same now for many years. It's simply an excuse to sell overpriced phones now!

I'm not gonna get the Nexus 6 when the Nexus 5 has been such a pain in the ass riddled with bugs!
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 6/10/14 8:18 AM
I am so sorry guys. It seemed to work the other day but I must have not been testing speaker phone.  I was on speaker today and it would not wake.  Sorry to get anyone's hopes up.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up m_pi 6/16/14 1:33 PM
It's just embarrasing. Maybe I'm a little oldfasion, but isn't making phone calls the most important function of a phone? Phone app should be the most polished app of all.

I guess new shiny layout in 4.4.3 was more important than making the phone app actually work.
(unknown) 6/19/14 5:14 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up JustinKing 6/19/14 5:15 PM
Didn't have this problem UNTIL 4.4.3 update now it's impossible to do simple things like dial a conference bridge as the screen turns off as soon as I start the call (so i lose access to the dialer).

To make things more interesting:

1.  If I'm connected via blue tooth to my car everything works perfectly (screen stays on, etc).  I've not tried another generic headset but I imagine that will be the case.
2.  My wife's Nexus 5 is ALSO on 4.4.3 .... doesn't have the problem.  I've tried every data-wipe and clear/force close imaginable ... but hers works fine and mine does not.

4.4.4 got pushed today and I'm going to hope it solves my problem.  If not I may explore the blue tooth fix some more (why does it work when bluetooth is connected?) and see if I can't get a solution going.  Will share if i find one.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up m_pi 6/24/14 1:37 PM
I've just updated to 4.4.4, but the problem remains.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up JustinKing 6/25/14 3:55 PM
Sad to say mine remains as well.  Symptoms are the same:  if im connected via bluetooth I retain expected functionality, if not the screen turns off until the call is ended.

I even tried outsmarting it by installing tasker and setting an event that occurs when the phone is off hook except as of 4.3 the ability to turn the screen on is no longer available ... so I can't even do that.

Basically my phone is barely usable .. I have to keep it paired to something to function correctly.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up JustinKing 6/27/14 11:02 AM
Update:  I definitely figured out my problem ... but not an easy fix.  Answer:  my proximity sensor is stuck at "near" when I run a hardware test tool.  NO case, no magnets, but with the sensor stuck at near the phone always turns off the display.  

The fix will likely be a trip to a repair shop to get the sensor replaced, or the phone RMA'd.  Those who want to see if thier problem is similar can download and check this tool:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mtorres.phonetester then go into "sensor status" and see if your proximity sensor is stuck at "Near".  The sensor in question is in the upper right so moving your finger over that position *should* toggle it between near and far .... not happening in my case.

I guess it's possible the latest android release messed up the proximity driver ... but considering it's impacting my phone and not my wife's .... I'm leaning towards hardware failure (unless someone knows how to calibrate it).
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Nomi16 7/11/14 8:27 PM
I'm so glad I found this post because I need to replace my Nexus 4. I use my phone a lot for business calls so need to be able to put on mute or check emails while on a call and the only fix I found was having to plug it in each time it went dark. Very frustrating if you don't have a cable nearby. Thanks! Need to research another smart phone.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up m_pi 7/12/14 2:08 AM
Maybe some of you will know:

1. Does new Android L solve problems with waking up the screen while making calls on a speaker? (There's a preview of Android L)

2. Does cyanogenmod have the same problem?

Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up anyeg2010 . 7/18/14 5:43 PM
Finally found a fix to this problem.

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2' 4.4.4 kk Carbon rom.

After installing the 4.4.4 kk on my note 2 when I make or receive a call my screen goes off, repeatedly hitting the power button sometimes brings the screen back on,  but my touch screen is non responsive and I cannot hang up.  As mentioned in some of the postings, if I use Bluetooth all works fine.  Without using Bluetooth my dialer, touch screen and trying to keep the screen on is hopeless.  

Found a fix.

I went to the play story and installed "ExDialer Dialer and contacts" (free) and now not only does this dialer work,  everything with my stock kk Dialer also works. I'm betting that I need to leave this second dialer installed in order to keep the kk dialer working.   That's fine with me.  I am now a happy camper.  Hope this works for others with the same issue.

Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up anyeg2010 . 7/18/14 5:45 PM
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up anyeg2010 . 7/18/14 5:45 PM
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up williamyung1 7/23/14 4:57 PM
Bad software design!
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up williamyung1 7/23/14 5:07 PM
Nobody wants to do that.  It hangs up the call. All they want to do is perhaps jot something down or look up a number DURING a call.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up David Vallejo 7/27/14 8:14 PM
I do have the same problem, what shall I do?
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up JustinKing 7/27/14 8:34 PM
My problem ended up being easy to fix:

When I opened up my phone I found a massive piece of lint had somehow got int and wedged into the space where the proximity sensor.  Using the app I linked above i was able to test and verify that my proximity is working fine and that was the cause for my screen going blank.

Hope this helps others.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Razr user 7/27/14 8:36 PM
I Am Going To Buy An iPhone! I'vE Had It With This Issue.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up anyeg2010 . 7/27/14 8:49 PM
Another method I found that worked on my rooted note 2 for solving this problem, if you are rooted and have Xposed Installer installed,  install the "App Settings" Module.  Then inside the "App Settings" module pull up "Dialer"  and set it to always keep screen on whenever you are in the Dialer.   Also do the same setting for the "Phone App" in the App Settings " Module.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Lucman Racman 7/31/14 6:25 AM
It's confirm.  

The solution is to remove the screen protector installed in your smartphone.  For couple of months now I am having this issue.  My Galaxy S4 was protected with the Gorilla Screen Protector ... take note .. after reading the post of JJPARK I instantly remove the screen protector AND it solved the issue.  Now the screen does not turn/goes on sleep or black screen when dialing or calling someone else.

Thank you very JJPARK for the post and my problem is now solve.

not see screen until hang up keisha cuthbert 7/31/14 3:11 PM
When someone rings me or if I ring them my screen goes black and I can't do anything I know can hang up by holding the power off button but my screens just black and the screen comes back bout 1min after the calls ended and I'm just wondering if you know how to get it back to normal so I can see the screen when ringing or when someone's ringing me? My phone is a Samsung
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Sathyaraj Rao 8/1/14 3:11 AM
Hi dear,

Thanks for your suggestions, it helped me a lot. Once again very thank you for your support.

Bye...
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Adam Bramley 8/3/14 5:07 PM
I've got the same issue, bought my Nexus 5 only a few weeks ago (already shattered the screen UGH), but yes it is frustratingly hard to hang up calls....no screen protector or case any more (that's how I dropped it) and actually had the "Hang up on power button" option disabled until now, maybe that'll make it easier.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up David Vallejo 8/10/14 1:32 AM
Google Team,

I do have this problem for more than 1 month...can you give me a solution?
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Krishna Meena 8/15/14 7:08 AM
I also have the same problem and my device is also under warranty what should I do now ?
Krishna Meena
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 8/15/14 8:07 AM
My advice  has been, since I started this topic, was all should call google and let them know .  Back when I did the  RMA on the phone and immediately still had the issue, I posted all should call google aobut this and now feel they should all RMA the phone.  It is the only why I think they will take notice of the software issue.  If they dont see enough people with the issue, they will do nothing.

I am still confused as to if some dont have this issue or if all do and just are not checking.  I have had this on two phones out of the box.  This thread seems to get mucked up with people who dont even have the phone saying it has to do with screen protectors but then you see they dont even have a Nexus 5.

When I started this thread, I asked people post their country model and color to try to  see if certain colors or GB size made a difference.

Back when the second phone did this out of the box, I was told to wait until the next update.  I did and it did not change so am not sure there is anything to be done other than just not use that feature.

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Patric Henson 8/20/14 7:12 AM
I have the issue as well. It has nothing to do with the screen protector. Touching the screen, shaking the phone, touching the power button (I have the 'power button ends calls' option disabled) or anything else will not turn the screen back on. It is very frustrating.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Edward Tjioe 8/24/14 7:55 PM
I have similar problems however I am able to wake up from a blank screen during a call but only when I tilt the phone until its completely horizontal to the ground. If I tilt the phone slightly upward or towards me again the screen goes blank. This is very frustrating as I try to see where the number is to key in the screen goes blank. Is there a way to configure or calibrate the proximity sensor? Also the problem exists whether I have a screen protector or not.

Nexus5
Red-16gb
KitKat 4.4.4
Canada

Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up TIME TRAVELER 8/26/14 7:44 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED.... INSTALL POWER BUTTON TO VOLUME BUTTON u can press volume button to wake up screen while call.. Enjoy
(unknown) 8/26/14 7:44 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 8/26/14 8:06 PM
Please explain what your solution is Time Traveler
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Edward Tjioe 8/26/14 8:19 PM
Time Traveler the app you mentioned causes severe battery drainage. Not quite the fix I was hoping for but thanks for trying.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up m_pi 9/6/14 11:37 PM
I solved the the problem for me by disabling "power button ends the call" in settings. Now I can wake up the screen by pressing power button.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Yagyabahadur Karki 9/24/14 10:13 PM
screen goes black on my nexus 5phone my screen goes black on my phone when I make a phone call
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Yoram el 10/21/14 1:34 AM
this works perferct !!
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up jimbo17 12/9/14 11:46 AM
i think i have the same problem, I solved it by going to accessibility,and changing the " touch an hold" delay to "long". it was set to "short" it was very annoying trying to dial out and put on "speaker phone"  the screen kept goin dark.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Edward Tjioe 12/10/14 9:01 PM
thanks jimbo17 your resolution worked for me too. During a call I can now tilt my phone and the screen will come on and stay on long enough for me to access it. Before it would keep going dark before I can get there.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Mak K 12/10/14 9:21 PM
I have mine set to short and dont have the issue with Android 5.0 on Nexus 5 32 GB black  USA.  The issue was fixed on my phone with Lollipop.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Edward Tjioe 12/10/14 9:36 PM
Even after lollipop, during a call the screen would momentarily come on and darken again before I could access it. But after I set the "touch and hold" to long I now can access the number pad to enter my access code for voicemail easily whereas before it was such a pain with the screen going dark before I could enter a number. Anyway my issue is fixed. Glad to hear your issue has been fixed too Mak K.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Misbah Moiz 1/4/15 6:48 PM
there's a sensor next to the earpiece of every phone that causes your screen to go black so that your face doesn't touch anything and end the call, mute, etc. If it stays black when you take it off your ear, it's probably defective
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Misbah Moiz 1/4/15 6:48 PM
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Edward Tjioe 1/4/15 6:59 PM
My screen wouldn't stay black the phone would light up as a pull it away from my ear/face but just when i'm about to punch in numbers on the numbers pad it would go black before I could get there. That was before, but it's fixed now and I no longer have this issue.
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up Daley79 1/24/15 8:55 AM
Hello I know this thread was started a few years ago but I was wondering if there was a fix.  I work for HP and we were just issued these Nexus 5s.  I didn't have the issue at first and then my niece cracked my screen so I'm thinking that had a lot to do with it.  As soon as I go into a call my screen goes black unless I'm calling my voicemail or I am connected to my car's Bluetooth.  In either of those situations it works fine.  In a normal call though I can't hang up or hit any prompts as I don't get a screen.  I put on the hang up with power button option and at least now I can hang up when calling someone and leaving them a voicemail instead of just letting it run until the end of the voicemail.   I have the nexus 5 android version 5.0.1 black 16gb
Re: Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up GuPTNLMR 2/22/15 5:58 AM
Just remove the screen guard from the region covering the proximity sensor. It will start working
Nexus 5 screen goes black while making call but can not see screen until hang up drtaing 3/7/15 1:51 AM
Me too. The same problem.
More topics »