Categories: Learn tips & tricks : Android :

Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE)

Showing 1-23 of 23 messages
Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) CollateralDamage 6/1/12 12:59 PM
May 2012 - Google has really crossed the line this time. They silently converted all online reviews that one previously submitted using a unique, anonymous name to now show up with your REAL name. The only option I see on my smartphone is to mark them "private" ... however, prior to noticing this silent act, all comments were fully public.

WTF google - no "opt-in" or advanced notice for such a public change?!

Here's how to delete them:

1. Using your computer (not mobile device), go to http://maps.google.com
2. Search for the location for which you previously submitted a review.
3. Click the location marker for more options.
4. Click the link which reads "# reviews"
5. Scroll to your review and click DELETE.

Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) CollateralDamage 6/1/12 1:23 PM
And here is where you can find all of your Google Reviews in one place:

Log into Google, then visit this page to see a listing of all Reviews that you posted using your smartphone or Google Maps:

Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) Masonicmoron 6/2/12 1:54 AM
Hi

If you are unable to post a review using your real name it could be considered a fake and removed.

The name change was notified to all when Google Plus when live

Best regards

MM
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) CollateralDamage 6/3/12 5:27 PM
I respectfully disagree; I have been posting Google Reviews using an approved pseudonym that Google allowed me to choose.

Further research revealed that this sneaky changeover took place when Google+ Local replaced Google Places.

Regardless, if Google truly notified users as you proposed, then they likely buried it in some "fine print".

Bottom line: to not have a "grandfather clause", which honored all previous postings submitted up-to the recent date when this changeover took place, is a clear reminder that Google has a blatant disregard for public-facing anonymity.
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) stuefi 6/4/12 3:11 AM
i really dont like the fact that they're using real names - just noticed that afterwards...at least the last names should be removed...otherwise i think people will stop contributing to google+local
if you want to fake something, there are always ways to do that
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) treebles 6/4/12 5:23 AM
The best way to be heard by Google is to post your concerns on the post announcing the introduction of Google+ Local.
You should also provide feedback directly to Google+, if you have a Google+ profile,  about this issue through the Send feedback option found in the Gear icon of your Google+ page.
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) asnac 6/6/12 12:46 AM
I was alerted to this when I was about to leave a review a moment ago, and Google warned me that my name would be used. Well, I didn't want that. Checking out this change in procedure, I was quite concerned to read on this forum about names being retrospectively applied to existing reviews. Didn't sound very Google to me, more the sort of thing that Facebook would do.

But now I'm confused: when I then looked at my reviews ready to delete those where I'm still a customer, I found to my relief that these reviews still don't have my name on them. So I then looked at others' at random, in the UK and the US. Not a single review had a name listed, every time it was just "A Google User".  

So I can't see a problem - or have I missed something? Maybe it's only reviews that originally had a pseudonym attached to them that now convert to a real name, while those submitted anonymously remain anonymous?
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) CollateralDamage 6/6/12 4:34 AM
I noted the "a google user" entries as well as assumed, for a moment, that there was a "grandfather" policy in effect. Yet, with certainty and dismay, I found all of my prior posts no longer displayed with my chosen pseudonym but instead my real name.

I am still trying to make sense of how and when this occurred. As I previously stated, my android phone received a new version of Google+ as well as Google Places being removed and Google+ Local being added. Subsequently, I was prompted on my phone to keep as-is or mark private my prior reviews. That said, perhaps the conversion occurred at that moment.

I agree with you; the Google Review feature NOW warns one that their real name will be affiliated with the review being posted. However, that warning only appeared in tandem with the aforementioned changes.

Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) MikeY1234567 6/10/12 7:25 PM
I agree.  I understand that google would want to have a name associated with a review somewhere but to post it on a general forum that anyone can read crosses a line. Until they make the default, "anonymous" or allow me to use a pseudonym I'm going back to yelp.  sorry google but I value my privacy even if you don't.
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) norman_normal 6/13/12 3:55 AM
I'm really really upset with this new "feature" of Google Locale.
For instance if I want to rate things critically, my identiy has to be protected!!! Think of rating ur School, University or even your employer. Or if you rate your proctologist and now all you friends can see you were there :D
Like people mentioned before, this thing looks like Facebooks way of treating ur personal informations in the past.
I will not use google local to rate things under this circumstances and delete all my previous reviews...
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) ehg 6/13/12 4:11 AM
just  doubling the post of an other TC - posted a week ago:
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) CollateralDamage 6/13/12 10:29 PM
It seems that the only option is two-fold:

1. Create a new, ficticious Google account.
  2. Post reviews using a computer vs. a smartphone, since the latter (Android) is integrated with one's Google account ... and do so directly on Maps.Google.Com (or whatever name they call it tomorrow), then locate the establishment and create the review.

Google will likely still know it's "you", if you're visiting their sites from the same IP address with both the real and ficticious accounts.  However, at least for me, it's only from the public that I wish my reviews to remain private.
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) Tom9020 7/27/12 8:57 AM
I went through the conversion process but found that they messed up my ratings.

Leaving this aside, I simply don't want to be forced to use my real name on all reviews, so I'm going to start copying my reviews to Yelp now.

I understand that there were problems with the old anonymous system, but now Google has jumped to the opposite extreme.  Some less extreme options would have kept me here.  Yelp is not perfect, but they are working to prevent abuse without forcing people to reveal their full names.

Also, I'm surprised that Google Local still has no ability to mark place (so as to create lists), whereas Yelp lets me bookmark places and make private notes e.g. telling me who recommended it to me.

If Google can find some middle ground between anonymous chaos and full disclosure then I will be back - I'm a Google fan - but for now Yelp is a better option.

Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) daniel_b83 8/22/12 10:07 PM
This is very wrong of google to do this!  Not impressed
(unknown) 8/22/12 10:11 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) Sexual Chocolate 9/18/12 8:57 PM
Yeah this stinks - how can I make up a silly nickname in here, but when reviewing a business it uses my real name?  Jeesh I wrote an honest yet poor review of the apartment complex I lived in up until a few weeks ago and since whenever it's had my real name?  I'm lucky those folks didn't unlock my door and have trash delivered while I was away.  Never will I use google+ / local or whatever it is now.  Back to yelp and yelp alone for me.

Couldn't they just say "google account holder, 5 yrs" or something to validate it's not just a quickie account?
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) daniel_b83 9/18/12 10:58 PM
Yeah and the cops/government/news are always giving tips like "don't use your real name"...  "don't give any identifiable information"
Yet if I register a domain - my home address and phone number are plastered all over google
If I have written youtube comments or reviewed businesses in the past, I can now potentially expect a phone call or visit from ... well... anybody.
There have been some pretty nasty cases, even on Yelp (check the Yelp wikipedia page under 'incidents'), where people who can be identified online are confronted in their homes by psychos.

These are serious issues.  It's almost as if the people that work at Google have never actually themselves used the Internet and have no clue what goes on and that giving out people's ID info is a really bad idea.
Clearly it's an attempt to "be more like facebook" to squeeze a few extra bucks at the cost of what... criminal cases? lives?
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) D0D937H1$ 9/25/12 6:26 AM
All I wanted was to post a simple review - a mixed review - I don't want the world to see my full name tied to something I mentioned on the internet to help guide future potential customers...it seems Google Reviews is now limited to a small handful of the population that is ok with having their name displayed across the world...Au Revoir to reviews by intelligent and discerning consumers...
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) gara56 10/13/12 10:42 AM
It's unfortunate that google went in this direction but I can understand their position. At least we should be able to delete our reviews in that case. I don't need someone to track me down using this information--so they can cuss me out or threaten my family.
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) ehg 10/13/12 12:13 PM
@gara56: in this article Google describes how to edit or remove a review you made.
Good luck removing your reveiws.
ehg
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) Cedwards2k3 10/15/12 1:42 PM
Today is a perfect example of why this is a bad thing. One of the businesses I reviewed as not the greatest went to my plus page, located where I worked, looked up the phone number of my office and called our receptionist who transfered them to me. They then hassled me about my review, being all defensive and stating they have a world class Chef and that I shouldn't have posted what I did and to come back and eat a meal on them and rewrite a favorable review. Funny part is, 75% of the reviews say their food is horrible. I should be able to post anonymously. 
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) ehg 10/15/12 1:53 PM
or you should eat the horrible food.
Re: Google converted all Reviews to now use your REAL name (and HOW TO DELETE) turbogaming 10/23/12 11:14 PM
I was also contacted by a company which destroyed some of my pool equipment. I didn't outright accuse them of anything in the review, let the user do the math. Either way they contacted a representative and threatened legal action for slandering their precious company name. Quote original
I think Google did this because businesses were attempting to sue them.