Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this!

Showing 1-174 of 174 messages
Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 6/23/09 12:08 PM
In order to keep Google Maps responsive, and the map display from getting too cluttered, Google Maps uses a few methods to limit the amount of data displayed at one time. 

For My Maps - the map is broken down into pages, with as many features that a modern browser will handle on a single page, depending on the complexity of the features. 

However when displaying KML files, which is a file format for containing geographical data, made popular by Google Earth, an alternative method is used. Here a representative sample of the features are displayed at one time, but importantly can zoom into a part of the map to reveal more detail.

Luckily Google Maps offers a KML export from "My Map"s; so for a given My Map, you have a choice of which display method you wish to use.

How to convert a map is documented here:
as well as how you can embed or link direct to the resultant map.

The process is a little tricky, but hopefully the results will make it worth the effort. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! marlinje 6/25/09 8:19 AM
Many many thanks!
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Simpatico_Gabriele 7/9/09 3:56 AM
I've tried this method but it still doesn't solve the problem (at least completely).

Or better, the KML exports only those references I've added. I'm collaborating to a map, and my kml version doesn't include the markers added by a collaborator, though they appear in the non-kml imported map.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 7/9/09 4:29 AM
Sure you sure this isn't just caching? When you paste in the KML URL in the search box try adding &dummy=1 to defeat the cache. 

Google Maps for some reason recently got a lot more aggressive in their caching. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Simpatico_Gabriele 7/9/09 5:04 AM
Didn't work either. You can try yourself. Below is the link to the original map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&start=800&num=200&msa=0&msid=106415293626184547001.000456db0c3f341795de0&z=3

Notice that the pages are 6. In the imported kml version they will be 5.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 7/9/09 5:17 AM
Ok then you talking about something slightly different, the subject of this thread doesnt use 'Import' 

But anyway the limitation is you are talking about, is only 1000 features are exported in the KML file. I think the import has a similar limitation.

I though it also limited to only 1000 features being stored in a map, but this suggests more can actually be in a 'My Map'. Viewing a KML in this way can certainly load more than 1000 markers  (but only displays 80 at a time)
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! lfrittelli 7/17/09 12:42 PM
I have tried this, but unfortunately it has two side-effects that I was not expecting:

1. The markers are rearranged (by type instead of the custom order I had created them in)
2. Most importantly: I lose the Snap to Roads in my added Paths.

Any way to overcome these issues?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JYU 8/5/09 2:10 AM
When I load the KML file my custom icons are stretched too much. They are bigger by half to their original size in the original map. What's the problem?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/5/09 2:47 AM
@lfrittelli, and @JYU these are limitations of the KML display method - don't think anything can be done. 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! LoLa1 8/12/09 10:55 AM
This is an issue for me as well. I am trying to create a road trip map and the information is split
randomly in ways I can't control ( road lines and markers).Your suggestions seems to work but the copied map seems to loose data/ information.
The road lines loose their snap and don't seem to follow the actual roads anymore resulting in long straight lines.
Can you recommend a way out? I have no programming skills.

Thanks a lot though,
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! LoLa1 8/12/09 11:00 AM
ouch... just realized this question was answered above.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Forts 9/27/09 9:00 AM
My co-worker and I cannot get the raw KML when we try to save a multiple-page map; it either saves as a network link or just the individual page currently being viewed. We want to serve the page from our website with the full KML. We will be editing and adding locations to this map, and wish it to function on mobile devices as well. My understanding is that we need to serve the full KML file. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&start=0&num=200&msa=0&msid=113162234817807330820.00047363eadf4121effdd&z=7

Here it is hosted /w a network link:
http://www.forttours.com/interact/New.Deadliest.Frontier.Blend.02.asp

Network Link DATA:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
<Document>
  <name>FortTours.com_Deadliest.Frontier6EDIT.kml</name>
  <description><![CDATA[FortTours.com_Deadliest.Frontier6EDIT.kml]]></description>
  <NetworkLink>
    <name>FortTours.com_Deadliest.Frontier6EDIT.kml</name>
    <Link>
      <href>http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;vps=5&amp;jsv=177f&amp;oe=UTF8&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=113162234817807330820.00047363eadf4121effdd&amp;output=kml</href>
    </Link>
  </NetworkLink>
</Document>
</kml>

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 9/27/09 9:39 AM
@Forts

The KML file shows 528 <Placemarks> for me - so its not paging. 

I think the 'issue' you are running up against is the limits imposed by GGeoXml in the Maps API, it has the same limits as documented here:
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Forts 9/27/09 11:32 AM
I'm trying to download the entire KML From MyMaps to my local computer to no avail. I've used the &output=kml to both the LINK and Open in Google Earth options as well as saving it in Google Earth. It does not save the entire KML, just a page (1/3 of whole file as displayed in MyMaps) or a as a network link.

I should use another call for the maps? I'm not sure I understand, as the features seem to work as below:
http://www.forttours.com/interact/Frontier.America.ALL3.asp

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 9/27/09 11:40 AM
I just clicked the link in your above post and downloaded the file. (In Chrome, might not work in other browsers, might have to manually change the &amp; to &) 

You can't add &output=kml to the 'view in google earth' link, have to change the output=nl to output=kml

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! whitebait 9/29/09 11:21 PM
Terrific to find this advice thanks. The first-year university class I teach made a map and the number of features (270+) generated this problem. Now at least I've got a good version available to point next year's students to.
http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=-37.817058,144.962433&spn=0.042106,0.055189&z=14

However, I still don't understand the problems I have when trying to edit the map in its paged form. It seems to inconsistently bounce from having 2 pages to 4 pages (sometimes features just disappear and don't seem accessible). Any ideas? There might be 450 students in the class next year so I'm trying to think ahead :-)
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Irene L. 10/13/09 1:38 AM
I am learning to live with the paged form, but the bouncing from 2 to 138 pages makes it hard. Is there any way I can seach for one element(in fact a line) on the map without having to click on all the pages?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! kylepatrickbutler 10/27/09 10:21 AM
I made a KML copy version of my map and I want to embed it in my blog, but when I click on the "link" link it says that this map cannot be embedded.  What is the problem?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 10/27/09 10:23 AM
Did you click link *before* you clicked 'save to my maps'?

If you didnt, do it again, but click 'Link' just after pasting the URL into the search box - before doing anything else. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! danaelliottMD 11/14/09 10:02 PM
Hi, I have been adding placemarks to my original map and my KML export has been updated fine till now. Just discovered that it displays to a certain placemark, and the more recent ones are not updated. I have repeated the steps at http://sites.google.com/site/gmapstips/alternative-to-paging-on-my-maps but still the more recent placemarks are not showing. The page on my original map has reached the 6th page. Anyone else has the problem? How to solve this? Thanks :)
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! The Agenda 11/23/09 11:59 AM
 I created a map plotting the literacy rates for the entire globe, and so my listings page into 4 pages on "my maps".

I used  your neat trick but  most of my country flag markers turn into the standard blue call out markers.  I have found by adjusting the zoom, I can get the markers to display as flags but it makes impossible to get the entire world map to display as a single embed with all the original icons.  Any thoughts on how to fix that?

google earth link
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&vps=5&jsv=190a&msa=0&output=nl&msid=106927227736098152803.0004778282fff0194f617
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 11/23/09 12:40 PM
Hmm, that seems to be a weird bug. Will chase it up with Google. 

btw, I think your Belgium icon is misplaced - others I tried seem fine :)
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! The Agenda 11/26/09 2:35 PM
Thanks for the Belgium tip - will check it out.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! dande.srinivasan 12/3/09 11:14 PM
hai,

i am not able get all pages into single page map.

please help.

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 12/5/09 2:47 AM
dande.srinivasan,

I just followed the steps and produced: 

Is that not what you looking for?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! dande.srinivasan 12/8/09 1:54 AM
thanks for the help.

But i am not able edit it .
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 12/8/09 3:48 AM
> But i am not able edit it .

You don't.

You edit the original map, and new display map, updates automatically. (subject to a bit of caching so might take something lieke 6 hours)  
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! BanyanWaste 12/22/09 1:03 PM
I have this output but it doesn't allow me to create the new unpaged map.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&vps=1&jsv=196c&msa=0&output=nl&msid=110328589286150362539.00047a641d77fc8cb7df4

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 12/22/09 1:20 PM
@BanyanWaste

In what way does it not work for you?

It appears to work for me just fine

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! BanyanWaste 12/29/09 6:26 AM
It says,
File not found at http://maps.google.com/maps....

It used to work then just stopped all of a sudden.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! kbeckdawg 12/29/09 9:00 PM
Hey Barry,
I've been trying to combine my map into one page, below is the link (it'll take you to Page 2):

When I right click on View in Google Earth with IE, there's no option to get a link, so I go to Properties and copy the URL, which is:

When I grab it from Firefox, though, I right click on View in Google Earth, and I am able to Copy Link Location, which is:

So I'm guessing it's this link out of Firefox that I want to use? So I enter that in the box to the left of Search Maps, and this is what comes up:

File not found at http://maps.google.com/maps....

Suggestions:

• Make sure the URL is spelled correctly.
  • Make sure the file exists.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 12/30/09 5:37 AM
Works just fine for me:

by pasting in the second (firefox) link - not sure what exactly happened with IE. 

If the above link doesnt work for you, then there is definitly a bug
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Burt Humphrey 12/30/09 11:54 AM
I have been having the same problem others are reporting. I get the error "File not found at http://maps.google.com/maps...." I tried the links I have been working with on maps I create and the links above. I find it very odd that this works for some folks and not others.

Is it possible that Google has somehow disabled this to prevent people from displaying hundreds of points without paging?

Thanks.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Brad999 12/30/09 6:59 PM
First get the URL of the KML export. When viewing your My Map, right 
click the 'View in Google Earth' link and copy the link to the 
clipboard (probably something like 'Copy Shortcut' or 'Copy Link 
Address' - depends on your browser') 

I am having problems getting the url address for the KML export when I click "View in Google Earth".  I am using Internet Explorer 8.  After I click "View in Google Earth", Google Earth fills my screen and I don't see any browser options, pull down menu or right click/left click options to save the URL.  Normally, I just cut and past URL's from the address bar on top, but it is not displayed in Google Earth.  I assume this is a stupid question, but I need help with the paging problem on My Maps.

Thanks for any help,
Brad999
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 12/31/09 3:42 PM
You need to *right* click. For IE then head to the Properties dialog. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Brad999 12/31/09 8:33 PM
Barry,

I very much appreciate your time and help.  But for some reason, I can't right click and get the "Create Shortcut" opinion on Google Earth.  I can get the "Create Shortcut" on My Maps and get the URL, but it's not the Google Earth URL that I need.

Here are two screen shots I made:

I get the feeling that I may have something set up wrong in Google Earth.  Should Google Earth be opening inside my browser window?

Thanks again for your help,
Brad
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/1/10 5:54 AM
Are you definitly right clicking on the wording "View in Google Earth" while on the Google Maps website - from your screenshot you appear to be clicking somewhere else.

You shouldnt need to actually open Google Earth to do this (and it wont help anyway) 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! greaseweasel 1/5/10 9:10 PM
I got this to work a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to work anymore???
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 1/5/10 9:26 PM
I have been using google maps "view in google earth" link ... then searching that link in the map search box.  It has worked well for getting multi-page maps on to a single page for over 6 mths ... Now i get "File not found at http://maps.google.com...etc"

i hope and pray this is temporary glitch..

I simply can not use the data split onto multiple pages for my particular purpose ....

If the Google Gods are listening....please keep this ability/feature as it was.

If anyone has same problem or not-the problem please reply
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/6/10 6:12 AM
Yes this is a temporally issue, its only affecting some people. 

Its working fine for me, but not for others. 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! greaseweasel 1/6/10 11:29 AM
It is working again, but it no longer displays address,phone #, image, url, and all the USEFUL info. It's just the name of the location, which really isn't that useful!

My-map that I copied the KML from displays about 50% of the locations the same way, the markers are blue with no black dot in the middle and none of the useful info.

Is this a fix in process?

I have an API program that lets me create markers from scratch, but I liked the My-maps because the marker is actually already made by the store I'm trying to mark and it has other businesses in the area which seems useful.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 1/7/10 5:39 PM
I have found a solution for those suffering from "file not found" etc.
(it depends on have ability to upload to a web-site)

step 1 get the "view in google earth" link location for muli-page map
step 2 paste that address into address bar of new browser (Firefox for me)
step 3 rename the section of the link from  xxxxa=0&output=nl&msid=xxxx    to     xxxxa=0&output=kml&msid=xxxx
step 4 save the kml file to your computer.
step 5 upload that file to a web site
step 6 put URL of the upload location into search box of google maps .... and BINGO ... no more "file not found"

hope this helps
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! eswna 1/7/10 7:59 PM
The Google Map which I have created originally () and embedded in my website doesn't load.
Checked in Google Map using the link embedded into my website, found that "File not Found" message.

So, I have created a new map follow the steps mention in () but it fails for me.
Again "File not found" message whenever I "copy the link location and paste in new browser to search". I have tried to work based on the solution given here but fails too.
Worked on new map for ages hour,

Then,accidently notice that the Google Map which I have created originally (didn't do any modification) has been loaded into my website.
Checked the original link in Google Map but failed to do "Save to Maps". Error display "Information not available.

Any ideas/feedbacks on the above scenarios?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! micmerty 1/7/10 8:15 PM
thanks magnet man ... now works for me
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 1/7/10 9:11 PM
Eswna not 100% certain what you are doing, but to summarize .... my description above should result in the kml file loaded on a web site eg. http://www.mywebsite/mymap.kml .

You take that address and enter it into google maps search box. press search and it should appear as single page map... to embed that (this new map) in your web site use the embed link  (Paste HTML to embed in website) in top right of map.

i did quick test and it worked ok.

(Glad to help micmerty ... I can usually come up with a work around if i think about it ... just remember any changes you make to your original mymap will not be reflected automatically in the uploaded kml file. You will need to repeat the process to show changes)

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! eswna 1/8/10 8:17 PM
hi brettmagnet, thanks for the reply.

1. I have taken that address ( http://www.mywebsite/mymap.kml ) and enter it into google maps search box. press search and it appear as per below message**:

**We could not understand the locationhttp://www.mywebsite/mymap.kml

**Suggestions:Make sure all street and city names are spelled correctly.Make sure your address includes a city and state.Try entering a zip code.Know about this place and want everyone to find it?Add it to Google Maps!

2. I have followed as per your description above and upload the .kml map to our ftp. Then enter the URL of our map uploaded location address  into google maps search box. press search and it appear  "File not found at http://www.dnoncetech.com/I... 

3. Is there any different if a map being searched in between Google Map and Google Map Malaysia?

Any ideas?

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 1/8/10 8:27 PM
eswna
1. http://www.mywebsite/mymap.kml  is an example only ... it is not a an actual web address ... it is just indicating that kml file should be at an accessible location on you web site.
2 is your uploaded map accessible. Perhaps you could post the URL address of your uploaded map and i will test it for you.
3. My guess is it should work the same for Malaysia as else where
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! danaelliottMD 1/8/10 10:29 PM
HI Brettbmagnet,

I have tried embedding the single page map with your instructions written on 1/8/2010, but both Firefox and IE states " This map cannot be embedded. Help" below the "Paste HTML to embed in website" box on the top right corner of the map.

The Google Earth KML link is

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&vps=1&msa=0&output=nl&msid=106069377598790155454.0004720325247dc0c953a

Please help

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 1/9/10 12:24 AM
danaelliottMD

i just tested your link ...and by simply pasting that link into the search bar of googlemaps I was able to get all details on a single page ... I tried link/embed location that looked like it worked ...Here is the embed link for your map if you want to try it.

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%2Fms%3Fie%3DUTF8%26hl%3Den%26vps%3D1%26msa%3D0%26output%3Dnl%26msid%3D106069377598790155454.0004720325247dc0c953a&amp;sll=-27.922442,153.207493&amp;sspn=0.093281,0.149689&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=9.102097,148.359375&amp;spn=167.806109,360&amp;z=1&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%2Fms%3Fie%3DUTF8%26hl%3Den%26vps%3D1%26msa%3D0%26output%3Dnl%26msid%3D106069377598790155454.0004720325247dc0c953a&amp;sll=-27.922442,153.207493&amp;sspn=0.093281,0.149689&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=9.102097,148.359375&amp;spn=167.806109,360&amp;z=1" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

If this is saying "file not found" (which is what my earlier instructions related to)
do this ... put the following link into firefox address bar and press enter
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&vps=1&msa=0&output=kml&msid=106069377598790155454.0004720325247dc0c953a
i have changed your link by making "output=kml" instead of "output=nl "... notice the difference ... (about half way through address).
when fire fox asks ... do you want to open in google earth or do you want to save the file. choose save file .. save it to desktop or somewhere else.

upload that file (in your case "World Map on AED Locations.kml ") to a web accessible address (i suggest you rename file before you do so for simplicity .. perhaps aed.kml) ... so you will end up with an address for that file something like http://yourwebsite.com/locations/aed.kml

take that address of your file (example... http://yourwebsite.com/maps/aed.kml)  and put it into googlemaps search box.
then press search. Then go to the" link "for the embed html ... ..I Suggest for your map you also go to Customize and preview embeddded map (just under "Paste HTML to embed in website") and make map large and zoomed way.

hope this helps

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/9/10 5:15 AM
danaelliottMD, you have to get the embed code *before* clicking 'Save to My Maps'. One the duplicate has been saved its not possible to embed for some reason. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! eswna 1/11/10 10:54 PM
hi brettmagnet, 

Thanks for the reply.

Here is my map URL address, http://www.dnoncetech.com/Maps/TrailsinPenang.kml

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 1/11/10 11:24 PM
Eswna:  the file does not appear to be exist.

Suggest you locate the .kml file with an ftp program like Filezilla (or similar) to verify it's existence... and to establish its actual http://address - path .
If it can not be found directly with a browser then googlemaps was no chance of finding it either..

It is vital that the file be in a web accessible address .  (maybe try it again taking particular notice to the url address path ..) I am sure you will work it out from here.

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/12/10 7:13 AM
This:

sounds like a likely cause for the 404. A common issue with KML and IIS webserver. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! RickGee 1/13/10 1:51 PM
Hello,

Barry, you seem to be the man, so I'm hoping you can help.  I've read through the problems, but still can't figure it out.  I have added points that I exported from ArcGis and everything is fine.  I exported couty lines for the state of Nevada and 3-4 come in on the page with my points, and the rest are on seperate pages.  I do not have the option of hosting a kmz or kml on a server. 

How can I get my county lines on the same page with my points?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! dnqualy 2/4/10 8:09 PM
Yeah, looks like Barry's the right guy here...

Here's the scoop:  I'm completely computer illiterate, so I need help in PLAIN ENGLISH.

In "My Maps," I'm drawing lines over old railroad right-of-ways on Satellite View to create system-wide maps of individual defunct railroads.  It's nothing I'm trying to make public - strictly for my private use (for both school and as a hobby).  I'm doing each railroad under a different file inside "My Maps" so I can toggle certain system maps over one another to compare them.  It's completely impractical to draw these systems without resulting in ten, fifteen, even twenty different lines drawn.

I finished one map, and the multiple page problem isn't happening.  I can see the whole rail network I've drawn without any problems.  The second map always results in multiple pages, regardless of whether or not another map is on, and I can't see the whole system I've drawn - just what's on a certain page (each page can only hold seven lines I've drawn, apparently)  Follow me so far?

For example, I'm trying to draw the map for the Nickel Plate Road (you don't need to know what that is).  If the line I draw between Buffalo and Cleveland ends up on Page 2, I can't view it with the rest of the map.  If I drag that line to Page 1, some other line (Toledo to Kokomo, for example) gets sent to Page 2 and becomes completely useless.  If I'm on Page 1 and I zoom in on a part of the map that has elements of Page 2, the Page 2 lines still don't show up.

Although I haven't yet tried anything suggested in this article, I did read through this and it looks like people are having all kinds of problems - most of which I don't understand because I don't use Google Earth and don't know what the hell a KML file is or anything it applies to.  I do have Firefox, but that's about the extent of my knowledge, other than what I do best:  Drawing maps!

If I read things correctly (probably not), it's possible the size (KBs) could have an affect.  So I should clarify:  I'm not drawing quick lines across whole counties.  The lines I draw hover directly over railroad routes, so there's a lot of clicking when I'm drawing a line and come to a curve.  Ya dig?  We're talkin' accurate lines here.

So again, in PLAIN ENGLISH, what should I be doing to get all the lines I draw onto one single page and view the whole railway system map?  What should I know for my third map and beyond?  Feel free to give a step-by-step!

Thanks, Barry - and everyone else who can help!

~ Dan from Minneapolis
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/5/10 6:07 AM
have you tried just reading the article

Ignore everything else said in the this thread. 

That should allow you to get a non-paging copy of your map. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! hyfforddwr 2/10/10 6:36 AM
I've imported a kml file to MyMaps but it pages. I've then followed your guidance to create a non-paging version, i.e. using IE 8.0 I right click on icon View in Google Earth, click Copy Shortcut, in a new windows paste that in the Search Maps, then tried various steps:
a) 1. left click Search Maps 2. left click Link 3. left click Save to My Maps, or
b) 1) left click Link 2. left click Search Maps 3. Save to My Maps.
and various other variations such as copying the link produced when Link is clicked and pasting that into Search (doesn't work).

Both work to the extent that the map gets listed in My Maps under Created by Others, and doesn't page. But I want to make the map available to others by sending a link. Neither using the Send button or using the Link button to get an e-mailable link works. When the e-mail recipient clicks on the link, Google Maps opens but the map does not display. When I used the Link button I was aware that at the bottom it says "This map can not be embedded".

Either the link function isn't working or I'm still not following your instructions correctly. If the latter, can you spot where I'm going wrong?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/10/10 8:20 AM
You need you copy the link *before* saving (back) to to My Maps

So follow a) again but DON'T do 3. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Warkilla 2/24/10 10:22 AM
I spent a couple days searching google maps for dealers of a company I'm building a custom google map for.  At the end of day 2 I had so many dealers that they overflowed onto a second page, which I didnt' know would happen and now I'm scrambling to save 2 days of work.  When I use the KML method I lose all of the useful data besides the dealers name.  Does anyone have a clue how to display all of these dealers on one embeded map and save all the usefull data, phone numbers, address, etc. etc. ????  PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/24/10 10:36 AM
Warkilla, I dont think there is a way. 

Alas its the 'export' function that excludes the data - so cant even recover using the Google Maps API. 

Even the RSS feeds dont include it. 

Google could perhaps make restrictions like this clearer, in fact I dont think they document them at all :(

But I have at least updated the article linked to mention this restriction. 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 2/24/10 6:28 PM
Warkilla ... I have embedded map on website with about 600 locations. All on one page, all with expanded rich text additional info ...
What i do is ... ---1. Open that pesky mutli page map ..---2. copy  the "view in google earth" link into the map search bar. ---3 wait for everything to load on one page ---4. Go to embed link and "Paste HTML to embed in website." copy that code... ---5 upload that code to my site on whatever page ---6. go to the fridge and grab a cold beer.... Works for me.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 2/24/10 6:34 PM
opps i notice in profile you don't drink Warkilla ... skip step 6. it should still work ok.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/25/10 2:30 AM
brettbmagnet, I beleive Warkilla is talking about saving search results. Such as clicking 'Save to My Maps' in a business listing found. When such results are saved out they only include the title not the 'Place Details'. (Google have confirmed this is definitely the case, and that its deliberate, but not why) 

Of course normal typed descriptions are saved/exported . So I guess the only way to get the details would be to manually copy/paste the 'place' details into the main description. When the main map is in edit mode and open the Placemark the 'Place' details are displayed below the description box. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 2/25/10 3:37 PM
Barry It does that by default so updates to goggle map listings appear in your saved map.
If you want to export the data to kml or something it is easy ..  just go to edit mode of saved map ... click on one of the map marker .. click edit beside the place details in that pop-up window ... then right down the bottom click on "don't update".  that marker will then export with all info included.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/25/10 4:08 PM
Hmm, doesnt do that for me. The "Dont Update" setting doesnt make a diffrence. 

But I have found another bit of info, the data is included in the KML export, just as ExtendedData

<ExtendedData>
      <Data name="PlaceName">
        <value>Legal&#39;s Test Kitchen</value>
      </Data>
      <Data name="Address">
        <value>225 Northern Avenue Boston, MA 02210-2052</value>
      </Data>
      <Data name="Phone">
        <value>(617) 330-7430</value>
      </Data>
      <Data name="Website">
        <value>http://www.ltkbarandkitchen.com/</value>
      </Data>
      <Data name="Categories">
        <value></value>
      </Data>
    </ExtendedData>

(This is for both a updating placemark, and a non updating placemark) 

... which alas isnt working on Import. So doesnt help for this trick :(

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 2/25/10 5:07 PM
Your are right again Barry ... had only ever used this trick when going back into google earth with kml file... and data displays there fine... I made the mistake of assuming it would show on maps too.
On close inspection, all the extended data is outside the   <description> </description> tags in kml file. There must be a way of hacking through this. I am too time poor to work it out right now ... Perhaps a set of find/ replace commands could short cut the process. I will work it out when i have time and post it back here if anyone is interested.

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 2/25/10 5:11 PM
PS.. That extended data only shows in kml file when you have done the "Dont Update" ... option ..
without "Dont Update" you only get  <name> data in file.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! marfak 5/9/10 11:37 AM
Hi, is there a workaround for Google Maps on Android, too?
I can activate My Maps as a layer with the consequence of the above behaviour (Google Maps paginating) but i can´t show the KMLd workaround version as there is no 'created by others' section in Google Maps Mobile...
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 5/10/10 5:55 AM
I havent tested this, but I beleive Google Maps for Mobile can display KML files. 

So on your desktop grap the 'View in Google Earth' URL, and copy it an email. Email it to yourself. 

On the device open the email and copy the link to the search box of GMM?

(there are other ways of transfering the link, email just seems an easy one) 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! longhauler 6/3/10 11:19 AM
Here's what I don't get - Why doesn't google just fix this ridiculous problem so people don't have to "follow the steps" to begin with?  Obviously it's a common problem, and one that makes the whole MyMaps program worthless to many users (seriously, if you are creating your own personal maps, who only adds a couple data points?)

Seriously Google - just fix the problem without making me jump through a whole bunch of hoops to get the end product everyone already expects.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! longhauler 6/3/10 11:22 AM
Ohhh, and its great that this "fix" to problem doesn't work for Snap to Roads feature... Cause who would want to use a map to draw lines that follow roads...

What a waste of a potentially great and very useful program.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ewaprice 6/4/10 7:25 AM
Hi, is there anyway to organize the points instead of using the KML?  I'm fine with having my points on different pages, but I'd like to organize my points alphabetically.  Is there anyway to move points from one page to another?

Thanks!
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 6/4/10 9:04 AM
@ewaprice;
you can export your maps to a kml file (via View in GoogleEarth) and then (using an appropriate KML-editor) sort the kml.
Importing it back to GoogleMaps you get an sorted map at your MyMaps.
ehg
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Russell Services 6/28/10 12:59 PM
I don't think these methods work anymore... I can't even get passed 'saving the link' and 'pasting it into the map search'... because I get an error right there.  It used to work... but regardless....

I somewhat agree with Longhauler in asking "why is this all necessary".  I say 'somewhat' because Google's whole point of dividing up My Maps is to keep the servers from being bogged down.. right?   I would think Google is NOT PLEASED with all these Top Contributors who suggest how to hack around Google's design that keeps their servers operating efficiently.

I just find it kind of an odd situation.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 6/28/10 1:29 PM
@Russell Services: FYI
1. the method from Barry hunter still works and it isn't a kind of hacking GoogleMaps but using the feature of RENDERING any KML-file WITH GoogleMaps as long as some restrictions (its size and the number of points points of the KML file  ar not exceeded) The exact limitations are published by Barry and me in this forum.
2. You might have noticed or missed the fact that  Barry's thread explaning the method was "sticked" at the top of the list as in [1].
This "sticking" of threads can only be done by GoogleEmployees.
So do you believe Google would stick a thread describing any sort of hacking GoogleMaps?
Such beliving is a Delusion.
Best 
ehg

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 6/28/10 2:36 PM
Whooa ehg! I think somethink is being lost in translation.

Looks like taking Russel Services mention of the word hack rather strongly. In this context what being done here is rather hackish, in that its using a number of features in a creative or unusual way - perhaps 'workaround' is a better word.

A hack doesn't have to be doing something elicit or unauthorized. Alas the media and films etc often confuses hacking and cracking ;)

The guides pinning this topic is simply to help others confused or frustrated by the paging feature.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 6/29/10 12:44 AM
Ok Barry, maybe I lost something in translation. In fact in Germany the English word "hacking" is mostly used in the meaning of "doing something elicit or unauthorized".
But whatever:
I didn't get the intention of Russel Services's post writing "I would think Google is NOT PLEASED with all these Top Contributors who suggest how to hack around Google's design that keeps their servers operating efficiently."
if he wouldn't consider your sticky thread as "doing something elicit or unauthorized".
But perhaps he can explain the intention of his post bit more.
cheers
ehg
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Russell Services 6/29/10 10:39 PM
EHG & Barry... To be more clear... this is more of a question than a statement;  Doesn't Google paginate My Maps in order to decrease the demand on their servers?  And if so, wouldn't they be unhappy that someone figured-out how to get around it, and is posting the techniques in these forums?  ... or what am I missing?  The 'rendering' you speak of is still pulling data from My Maps' servers... right?  Maybe that's not why the limitations exist?  I really don't know... and that's why I said I agree with Longhauler in asking, "why doesn't Google simply stop with the pagination thing?"...

When maps are hosted on OTHER servers, Google Maps doesn't paginate them.  I host maps on my own servers for this reason.  If I could rely on the described techniques above to ALWAYS work, I might use them.  But just in case they don't, and just in case Google doesn't penalize me in some way for using these 'workarounds'... I have steered clear of these 'suggestions'.

But as you say, a Google employee apparently made the first thread 'sticky'.. so this must be CURRENTLY acceptable.  All I know is, I've learned to not do ANYTHING that goes against the natural designs or 'policies' of Google.. which are hard to decipher at times.  Google could simply delete 1000s of maps you've created because you decided to 'manipulate' the way your map data is pulled from their servers.

(My intitial comments and these are not meant as criticism at all... only curiosity.  I have learned more from you two gentleman about Google Maps than ANY where else.  Thanks.)

Sincerely... RS
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 6/30/10 1:07 AM
Hi RS,

I'm certainly not the expert as Barry is one for that "Workaround" Barry provided on his sticked thread.
But I believe you're mistaken supposing the pagination of MyMaps/GoogleMaps is done to prevent "decrease the demand on their servers".
Even the kml rendering (which is the "heart" of Barry's workaround) is accessing their servers same way as for a "normal" map of MyMaps.
And maps of GoogleMaps aren't saved at all on "OTHER servers". Alos oyur maps aren't hosted on YOUR servers.
Only kml files could be hosted whereever you like.
But using a Maps URL containing the parameter &output=kml or &output=nl is handled like accessing any kml file whereever this is hosted. The only difference: forMaps URLs containing the parameter &output=kml or &output=nl there isn't to host a file.
Those kml-URLs are "virtual" kml files created based on the parameters of the GMaps URL without the the parameter &output=kml or &output=nl.

Hope I made this more clear and Barry will not find a reason to contradict me.
Best Regards
ehg

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 6/30/10 6:01 AM
> is done to prevent  "decrease the demand on their servers".

Well true, it's probably not to decease load on server. But it is almost certainly to decrease load on the client side. Traditionally Google Maps renders markers/features on the client browser. So too many would make the map unsuably slow. Also helps to unclutter the map (but this does depend on the spread of features in the particular map) 

KML rendering uses a different technology, so can usually render more data (in particular now as the mapping is rendered as images on Google servers) 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Russell Services 6/30/10 10:44 AM
Thanks for the further details... and just to clarify EHG.. I meant to say that I put my KML maps on my own host, and make those accessible thru links using Google Maps.  They indeed are hosted on OTHER servers.. not Google's.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 6/30/10 10:56 PM
i hope they're still ... "do no evil" people ... Google ,  They depend on this type of discussion to find better ways to meet demands. Being free to express shortfalls and find better ways around them is their business .... be bold  .... help them out. Hack ideas.  Google maps hasn't reached full potential yet.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! matsuzuma 7/28/10 1:23 PM
I hate to be a bother with a reply to this thread which seems like it should be resolved already. However, I have tried every method involving using the Google Earth link to no results. In fact, when I even try viewing my map in Google Earth, I only get what the page shows, and not the entire map. I cannot figure out how to adequately resolve this on my own or using the tips from the above contributors.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 7/29/10 5:41 AM
Hmm, not sure what sort of help you expect. 

I've you've already tried the suggestions and can't get them to work, then not a lot we can do. 

All we can do is tell you the same things again - which wouldnt help anyone. 

... if however can provide more detail, and ideally links to your map, then maybe we can spot the issue. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! liquidmonkey 8/8/10 10:55 PM
loads of talk aboot KML files but is it the same with GPX files too?

this whole thing of splitting a route into pages is VERY ANNOYING to say the least.
with broadband speeds these days i hardly see the point.
c'mon GOOGLE, give up the limit or at least set an option for us....................please.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! liquidmonkey 8/9/10 1:05 AM
that link explains and works, thanks!
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! liquidmonkey 8/10/10 6:26 AM
actually, it only works when i'm signed into google :(
does not display the route for other people other.

what gives?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 8/13/10 4:07 AM
Hi there,

I looked through this whole thread and I can't seem to find out how one would actually _link_ to the KML-in-Google-Earth.

I've exported the Google Earth KML file and pasted it in the Google Earth search box, and that works great. For me, that is. However, I've got a website:

www.vespa360.com

...with a thumbnail on the right there, and a link to my Google Earth. How do I make that link go to the KML-pasted-in-Google-Earth, and not the normal paginated stuff?

Stumped here,
SJ

SJ
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/13/10 4:44 AM
@JimVanMorrissey

I think your mention is confusing the issue. This has nothing to do with Google Earth - here we are talking about Google Maps. (You just happen to use a feature intended for Google Earth to make it easier) 

Once you have pasted the url into the Google Maps search box, you can use the "Link" button top right to get a link to review that unpaged map later - or so others can view it. Or even so can embed it. 

Do NOT click "Save in My Maps" against the unpaged map - that will prevent the Link from working. If do that start over again from scratch. 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! liquidmonkey 8/13/10 5:00 AM
oh thank you thank you thank you barryhunter for that!
NOW it works for everyone, not just when i'm signed in.
awesome!
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 8/15/10 5:20 AM
@Barry -- thanks for that. Yes, I was confusing the terminology -- I'm talking about Google Maps here.

Just a quick question: if I do use that link to the unpaged map, will that link constantly update my unpaged map with any new data I append to My Maps? Or do I have to keep generating a new link every time I add new data?

Cheers!
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Warkilla 8/15/10 10:35 PM
Sorry, haven't been back to my own thread in a LONG LONG TIME.  I eventually made separate maps for each state so that I never had more than a couple dozen locations on any given map.  There was just now way to put that many on one map.  Did anyone ever figure out a work around?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 8/15/10 11:07 PM
@Warkilla:
Maybe I missunderstood your question. 
Do you like to "merge" some or all of your maps for each state "onto ONE map"?
In that case you need to apply an other trick provided from Barry:
His copy-move-features-between-my-maps-trick.
Probably the  resulting "merged" map will get paged then.
Dont worry in  that case. 
Apply then the above trick from Barry to get a unpaged view of your resulting "merged" map via [2]
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/16/10 4:43 AM
JimVanMorrissey

Yes the 'unpaged' map is a 'live link' to the original maps, so tracks changes. (subject to sometimes a few hours delay only due to caching) 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Warkilla 8/17/10 9:27 AM
No, I had about 300 locations that I had added to a custom map by searching out the locations first, and then clicking the "add to my map" link.  By doing so, all of the locations data would be updated any time that location made a change.  It would be far easier to maintain that way.  However when I went to embed the custom map, it split the locations up across 2 pages.  SO when I grabbed the embed code for page one, it only had page 1 locations.  If you grabbed the embed code for pate 2, the map only displayed the locations from page 2.  The only way to do one big map was to use the trick mentioned earlier in this thread but then all the dynamic liking to the original owners location was lost.  Only the title of the location translated over if I remember correctly.  

That's when I finally got tired of the issue and just made a different map for each location as no one map would have more than a few dozen locations at the most.

does that make sense?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 8/17/10 10:49 AM
@Warkilla:
I guess you made any kind of error applying embedding your paged map (Or GoogleMaps made an error at the time you tried it).
This is  now certainly possible if the map had about 300 locations as mentioned!
If I would get the URL of such a map I bet to be able providing you a working embedding code - showing all locations in the embedded map too.
You can do either this (providing me the URL of your "old paged map") or in case you have now only plenty single maps for each location in your MyMaps I can't imagine an other & better way to show all locations as following my yesterday hints.
Best
ehg
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/17/10 12:34 PM
ehg, I would like to see your results too. 

As far as I know 'Places' saved to My Maps (via the Add to My Map" ) - do not fully export via KML files - so the unpaged map will be be limited to basic details. 

So as Warkilla found (the hard way! :( ) you either get a set of paged maps with most of the detail, or a single embed map, but with minimal detail. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Warkilla 8/18/10 11:09 AM
ehg, are you sure you've done what I described?  Search out a location and once found, click the "add to my map" link.  If you do that for more than 250 locations or so, the maps get split into several pages and when you try to embed any given page, it only shows the locations on that page, not all the locations in the set.

You pretty much confirmed what happened to me barryhunter.  I deleted the old map and started over with the separate state maps so I no longer have access to that map.  I wish I did so we could test ehg's theory, but sadly I don't think we're talking apples to apples and I'm afraid it wouldn't have worked.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 8/18/10 1:40 PM
@both of you Warkilla & Barry:
I first have to confirm Barry is much more experienced then me.
Secondly: I know the fact saving more then 200 search results to a map of MyMaps will make it paged.
Thirdly: I know the problem Barry mentioned using the kml exporting trick for a paged map will lost some of the content of the saved results due to the "not fully export via KML files" (only showing the basic details for each placemark).
Nevertheless I believed & believe (but can't actually give a proof for due to the deleted original paged map of Warkilla):
Applying the kml export trick it would be possible to get a unpaged view of all the more then 250 search results - of course only showig the basic details for EACH placemark.
That was the (my) theory I intended to give the proof if knowing the "original" paged map.
Sorry for any confusion I obviously am responsible for.
Best
ehg

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 8/23/10 1:33 AM
Hi folks,

Does anybody here suddenly find that the "View in Google Earth" link trick no longer works? I just added more data to my Google Map, then went to generate a new link to take a look at it all on one page, and all that does is show the earth zoomed all the way out with no data on it at all.

One new thing, or at least something I've never noticed before: on the bottom of the left navbar, there's now a Show/Hide option. There, there are two options with radio buttons next to them:

[ ]  Vespa360 Project - Eurasia
[ ]  Vespa360 Project - Eurasia - Google Maps

What's that all about?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/23/10 3:17 AM
Still works for me. Just tried it right now. 

As for your second question, htats not new, see:

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 8/23/10 6:33 AM
Hi Barry,

Hmm. That's not good -- I was hoping it was a glitch in Google.

Here's the link it now generates from the "View in Google Earth" button.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&vps=13&jsv=268b&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&output=nl&msid=113883957089849375985.000489af8468c0938b5a4

..which doesn't work. What was formerly a nice blue line showing my route thus far has been replaced with nothing.

And here's a view of the map in its paginated form:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&start=739&num=200&msa=0&msid=113883957089849375985.000489af8468c0938b5a4&ll=44.902578,33.486328&spn=16.958373,43.286133&z=5

Any ideas? Today I uploaded the current.gpx from my Garmin, to keep the map up-to-date, and I'm not sure if that's related to its failing. Possibly I uploaded some corrupted data? Or maybe the file's too big by this point...?

Cheers,
Sean
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/23/10 6:41 AM
Ah, that is because your map has now grown too big for display via KML files. There is a 3Mb limit. Your kml ends up ad 4.2Mb
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 8/23/10 8:48 AM
Ah, great. That solves that mystery.

Just a few more questions then:

1. How did you find out the size of the .kml file?

2. For the record, it was still working A-OK at +- 4MB. Adding an extra 200K of data was what caused it to cease working.

3. Is there a way to compress the KML file, i.e. halve the frequency of the coordinates, or something?

4. If there's no way around this, how do I revert to yesterday's version of the .kml, i.e. the one that still displays properly?

Thanks for your help, Barry.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/23/10 9:16 AM
1. Changed the output=nl to output=kml in the URL, so the file downloaded to desktop. 
2. It may just of been caching, it was still acessing the old file. 
3. Not automagically (that I know of), would have to do it manually I think. 
4. I dont think there is anyway to do that. If Google keep a history of a maps edits, they dont make it accessible
But if you importing a .kml/gpx file etc, then can you recreate the map anyway?

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/23/10 9:18 AM
Ah, but one thing you can do. Is Google Maps supports kml files upto 10Mb, inside a KMZ file (provided the .kmz is under 3Mb) 

So you could download the KML file (as per my answer to 1), manually put it inside a .kmz (a kmz is just a .zip file with a different extension. And the upload that kmz file to hosting somewhere, put its url into the search box. 

Alas would have to do this manually every time update the original map :(
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 8/27/10 4:00 AM
Hi Barry,

Again, you're a font of wisdom. I did what you described there, and it did work, after a fashion.

The kmz file can be seen here:
http://030b3f8.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/currentmap.kmz

And the website in which it appears is here:
www.vespa360.com

Some issues I still have:

1. When I drop the iframe into the wordpress widget, it doesn't remember the zoom level, or even the proper area -- it focuses on Italy, when it should be showing the Caucausus. Is this a known issue?

2. The map itself seems to be corrupted, somehow. It looks like it's drawing and re-drawing and re-drawing portions of the GPS track -- see the stretch of road along the Russia portion of the black sea coast. Is it such an intense blue colour, compared to other sections, because of all the detail in the road? (It's a very windy road.)

3. Also note that it completely omitted the last 150km of GPS track, to Tbilisi. Do you have any idea why it would truncate portions like that?

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,
Sean
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 8/27/10 4:33 AM
1. Those coordinates are encoded in the url. I suggest starting again, goto maps.google.com enter the kmz url in the box. Zoom to how you want the map, then grab the embed code. Dont do anything else with that window inbetween. 

2. Unfortunatly this is a known issue with Google Maps rendering - not sure how to resolve it. Will try contacting Google. 

3. Again not sure. I see other bits of the track missing too. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 8/27/10 4:54 AM
Hi Barry,

OK so -- I managed to solve it by using the 'Customize embedded map' link that appears under the initial window of code. It's still truncating the last 150km or so of my map. (Those other missing bits were from my GPS being switched off.)

Thanks!

SJ
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 9/5/10 4:44 AM
Hi Barry,

Well, I think I've run into another barrier here. I've continued on my motorcycle trip, and added more data, and I'm able to see the data in my Map. (On page 173 or something.) I then go through the whole routine of downloading the .kml via the Google Earth view link, and it appears that there's an upper limit on its size: 4,587 KB. I know this because the kml I downloaded last week was also 4,587 KB, and it had a little bit of my GPS track truncated. I thought that might be just a one-off bug, but no, 4.58MB seems to be the ceiling.

I wonder if there's another solution to this... I really don't need all this detail in my map. I don't see any setting in my Garmin to record GPS positions less frequently, for example.

Hmm.... what to do.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Beth2950 9/23/10 12:41 PM
@ Barry Hunter:

How do  get the privacy setting to "unlisted" wneh it is back under "My Maps" and "Created by others"?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 9/23/10 12:56 PM
Umm, not entirely sure what you asking. 

But all maps in the 'created by others' section are unlisted - this list is never disclosed to anyone. Only actual editable My Maps (where you create the features) can be set to Public. 

You can see what you are 'disclosing' by clicking 'My Profile' top right of Googel Maps. The Maps maps tab only lists maps created by you (it does show unlisted to you, but wont to anyone else) 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 11/16/10 10:56 AM
Just because your map is public - does not mean we can fine it. 

Best is to provide a link to your map. Click 'Link' top right when viewing the map. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Boycey66 11/16/10 11:21 AM
Hi Barry

I have tried to follow the steps to stop MY Map paging. I copy the address into another google map page (as per the instructions) and I get a few pages showing at the same time, but still not all. It shows east England "Exchanges"  and the pages have gone but so has the rest of my data.

My Map is public, so i don't know wether you can see the same with it. It is called "telephone exchanges uk".

I have tried using different browsers.

My data is spread over 25 pages

any help gratefully received

regards boycey
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 11/16/10 11:31 AM
Ah, the KML export/import is limited to 1,000 points. So only the first 1000 points will show in the 'unpaged' map. 

To be honest I dont beleive My Maps is a viable solution for large maps. 

Fusion Tables is probably better. 

(As I said in the previous reply - I/we cant see your map unless you provide a link to it) 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 11/16/10 11:35 AM
I just realised the article didnt actully mention the 1,000 feature limit. 

It does now. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! JimVanMorrissey 11/16/10 11:39 AM
Woo, Fusion Tables! It lets you upload up to 100mb of tabular data to the cloud.

Is there some handy-dandy guide on how to keep updating that data, all the while having it feed it to Google Maps?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Miah 11/23/10 8:58 AM
Barry,

The advice worked well. I would like to make the KML formatted map available to the public (listed). Since it is "created by others" I do not have this option. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 11/23/10 9:07 AM
You can't as such. 

To be honest I would of prefered if Google hadn't lumped all the different types of maps under the one 'My Maps' heading. They each have different feature's. Only original 'editable' maps are sharable like that. 

that been said 'KML' maps are implicitly public, ie anyone with the URL can visit them. So can use the 'Link' function* to get a link to the new map you can forward to others. 

* But you must do it before you click 'save to my maps' - it wont work afterwards. 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! anorth1994 1/3/11 9:57 AM
Hi, I have managed to get the paged map onto the unpaged map but, I previously had a transparency of 45 or 65 for all of the lines, they are now 100, any ideas on how to change this?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/5/11 4:18 AM
Alas I doubt there is anything that can be done about that :(
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! mailpain 1/5/11 11:57 PM
the problem is that its viewable in your browser, according to your cookies..

so.. another solution to viewing your entire map in every browser or sending to other people is to right-click "View in Google Earth" and select "copy link location, or "Copy URL", as stated above.. then...

Open another browser or new email message, and paste your URL there, and replace "output=nl" within the full URL address to read "output=embed", instead..

that should open the full view with all markers on it, in any browser, for anyone, and should be the URL you send to other people
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! itschaos 1/8/11 7:35 AM
This is my map after following the instructions on here. It's now on one page but sometimes the data is there, sometimes it's blank. Same for others on different computers and operating systems. Also, my placemarkers all defaulted to blue whereas before I had two different types. Any clues anyone?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&ll=51.265427,-0.000193&spn=1.814858,4.938354&z=8
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/8/11 9:16 AM
Alas I think you have fallen foul of some ongoing bugs/issues with My Maps. 

Google are working long term on fixing them, but short term there is little to do but wait. 

However if yo can profile a link to your map (use the Link button top right of the map) - your link is just a generic link - I'll make sure to pass it on to Google, the more examples of issues they have the quicker hopefully they can resolve the issue.s 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! mailpain 1/8/11 4:41 PM
Google maps seems to not even want people to make maps.. they to:

1. keep all custom markers on all pages selectable on any page, rather than only the markers on the current page being selectable, making have to go back and search markers we've already used, or search pages for our markers

2. keep the same view level and location between all pages

3. get rid of pages when editing, and have them all on one page, thereby solving the above 2 problems

4. allow a link that works cross-browsers and to other computers with all markers on one page and in one list on the left

5. allow permanent google hosting of icons of customized icons attached to your storage space limit
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 1/13/11 3:29 AM
being frustrated is never helpful  & solving a problem, dear Andreas.
What do you think about the map as in [1]
Note you can embedd this map of an "all markers in one view" into your website using the link "Link" in [1] and then the link "Customize and preview embedded map"
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/13/11 3:38 AM
AndrewFrustrated, why are you posting this again? We can't give you any different answer ?

But following ehg's link suggests that maybe your map is now working. 

- although do note it appears to contain names, and phone numbers - is this really meant to be public? I perhaps suggest deleting your posts.

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! schroeder001 1/31/11 9:17 AM
Hi - I am also having issues with viewing all my map entries on one page. I've tried your suggestions but can't get any of them to work. Help?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/31/11 9:25 AM
You are going to have to be more specific... 

What exactly doesn't work...?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! schroeder001 1/31/11 11:16 AM
I have 9 pages on map data that I want to show on one page. Is that feasible?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/31/11 11:28 AM
As long as under 1000 features it should - but potentially can work upto 3000 in some circumstances... 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! schroeder001 1/31/11 12:10 PM
Thanks Barry - but what steps do I take to make this work. I tried the steps listed about but was unable to find the KML URL. Also, I tried ehg's suggestion but that didn't work either.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/31/11 12:43 PM
Start here:
http://sites.google.com/site/gmapstips/alternative-to-paging-on-my-maps

What EXACT step are you having problem with?

For example, you can't find 'View in Googel Earth' ?

You found it, but couldn't copy the link? 

Other?

(we are not clairvoyant ;p) 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! schroeder001 1/31/11 12:53 PM
I can find "View in Google Earth" and I downloaded Google Earth. But I do not get the option to copy the link. So that is the step I am getting stuck on.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/31/11 1:50 PM
You dont need Google Earth - just using the link for it. 

What browser do you use?

IE8: "Copy Shortcut"
Previous versions of IE: Probably need to goto "Properties" and copy the 'Address' 
Chrome/Firefox: its "Copy Link Address"
Safari: "Copy Link"
Opera: "Copy Link Address"

etc... 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! schroeder001 1/31/11 2:10 PM
Ok have the address.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Now what do I do with it?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 1/31/11 2:16 PM
Nope. thats the homepage. Looks like just clicked 'Maps' on the Google Homepage. 

The link you looking for is when viewing the specific map, the link should look more like

But will will have a different long number at the end. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! mariaVR 2/1/11 2:45 AM
I've been doing a map showing business partners all over the world - resulting in the split pages issue. I've tried to do what you explained in the original post and at first I thought it worked wonderfully. But I can't seem to edit anything in the map anymore, which makes the map pretty much useless. When I click the tab "my maps" it shows a list of to maps under the "created by others" tab and nothing else. They are called the same, but the first one isn't clickable at all and the second one, I cannot edit. What to do?! Is there at least a way to get back to the original map? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/1/11 2:59 AM
Creating this 'shallow copy' doesnt affect the original map. To edit the details, edit the original map. 

You should still be able to access the original map. Try closing browser and trying again. 
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! mariaVR 2/1/11 3:06 AM
That seemed to do the trick! After logging on and off my account with no effect, simply closing the browser and opening a new one fixed the problem. Wow.. I feel so stupid :) Thank you so much for all the help!
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/1/11 3:10 AM
Standard tech support answer - reboot the computer. (in the web world the browser is the 'computer' so just restarting the browser often does it ;)
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! mariaVR 2/1/11 4:04 AM
Well.. standard comeback - now it doesn't work.. again! I cannot see the original map in neither IE or Chrome and I have even tried rebooting the actual computer I'm on just to be sure that wasn't it. When I try sending the link of the shallow copy to someone else, he can't see anything on the darn map *sigh* Here's the link I'm trying to send out: http://goo.gl/maps/hXEf

The original map is gone again from the list - it's just odd that it worked for a short time and then disappeared again. Any idea this time as well??
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/1/11 4:53 AM
Ah, well, if they on IE, then yes the link might not work. This is a current known issue on Google Maps. 

But the link you provided is not to a specific map, its just a plain map. Try using the Link function again when viewing the map. It might be be worth turning off the Short Url lab - its just another complication - something to go wrong. 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! mariaVR 2/1/11 5:06 AM
But the link _should_ have shown you the map I've created - but obviously the link part isn't working properly either. I tried turning off the Short URL and the link is now: http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=12.819241,14.774476&spn=156.257772,316.054688&z=2 Does that work?

My original map is still gone though, which is a much bigger issue at the moment! I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight if I have to do the entire thing allover again lol.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 2/1/11 6:02 AM
No. That link doesnt work either. But just realised one point. Need to grab the link from the original map, not the copy. But if you cant find the original.... catch 22.

Do you still have the "KML" url stored anywhere? That can be used to get the original map. 

If you do, should definitly copy the URL into browser address bar, change "output=nl" to "output=kml" and it should download a .kml file to your computer. That should be kept as a backup - as that contains your data. 

Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! mailpain 2/7/11 6:42 PM
how can you possibly continue editing a map on several pages when all your markers disappear except for the page you are viewing???

it makes it impossible to design a cohesive map as you cant see all your other markers, so many things hide or cover up other things at different zooms.. and nobody can remember what is exactly on all 9 pages of a map and so its easy to omit things or add double entries..

google maps is really kind of a self-serving joke, there to be used by google only, and this "add place marks" to "my maps" is more a novelty item than anything with any substance geared to performance and the user's needs... as is the case with most of googles products.. self-serving shells designed to gather more demographic and psychographic information to be used in their endless marketing schemes..

your "my maps" is apparently only in existence to give google a little more information on what your demographic is doing, and not for anything you might need to do..

its alot like a trap.. luring you in with an illusion of a banquet, only to close the door behind you and carry you away to their marketing lab
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! v1zzar3 2/7/11 11:28 PM
i got to the end of this thread and i still have a few issues, maybe some of you more experienced users can help me. Yes, the locations are split into pages, yes it's unbearable, yes, i want them on one page. Followed the instructions, right click on view in google earth, copied link location, pasted in a new tab/window (FF user) but when hitting enter i got the "what sould FF do with this file" popup, so i can either save it or open it, it being a .kml file.

At the time i thought i done something wrong so i changed the output=nl to output=kml, then hit enter, while using the link pasted from the previous operation. That time it opened in the brouser, but the streets noted on the map were still divided on pages. So it practically was the same thing, just like the previous map.
Also tried the "output=embed" variation but i had no left panel with the streets, and even so, i could see that the locations were still divided.

As a sidenote, i was using the "snap to roads", i don't know what the impact of this option is in the present situation.
So any help is greatly appreciated, i can see that we're all very attached to our maps, not willing to give any rest until we can honestly say they're "good".
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! v1zzar3 2/7/11 11:52 PM
ok INTO THE search box and SEARCH NEW MAP. Wow, eastern europe, what do you expect. Ok, it looks fine, everything on one page, there are a few questions though:
1. the streets have checkboxes next to them. Is there any way i can have them back as they were in the normal map, Without the checkboxes, or is it the only way the browser's "defending" itself against all that data?
2. It's a bit off topic but I'd like to know whether there's a possibility to edit the link so that when one opens the map, he should have the map zoomed in a little. in other words, i'd like to have a zoom level that's defined by me, and this zoom level to be included in the link.
I'm really enjoying using this application, hope not to be dissapointed in the near future.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! nickaraya 3/10/11 12:09 PM
I'm having trouble with this.  There should at least be a way to easily search my maps, or maybe

The work around exporting kmls and all that...seems hokey and NON google.

What better options are there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL5ymWJzp_M&tracker=False
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 3/10/11 3:43 PM
Watched your youtube link nickaraya.
I feel your pain. I have devised other ways around my specific problems (mentioned earlier in this thread).

But I had a thought just now ... a few quick tests on other peoples maps gave desired results .. needs refining no doubt.

Just as normal google search feature has "site:" ..(*The word "site" followed by a colon enables you to restrict your search to a specific site). ... type your search term followed by "site:maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 bla bla bla.... " (the site address from "link" location)

My personal maps are unlisted / not public. (They probably need to be public for it to work. And probably need to be cached by google first. ) So couldn't do exhaustive testing...

This is just a thought for someone with more time than I to experiment with.
Let us know if it is practical.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 3/11/11 12:12 AM
opps ... I think I see a potential flaw in this idea already . Find it is one thing ... edit it is another. Maybe need to allow collaboration ... Maybe i will just shut up till i have tested things  ... Unfortunately, that could be a way away.

I have been doing some Google Fusion testing as mentioned by Barryhunter earlier. If anyone is not up with it ... Well worth exploring.... Thanks Barry
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! nickaraya 3/14/11 2:35 PM
It didn't work, Brett.  I did a search by getting the "get link" link, then inputting "malibu site:" in front of the link.

It did a search for "malibu" on EVERYONE'S google maps.  I found a bunch of neat stuff...but it didn't limit the search to just my map.

What do we try now?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! nickaraya 5/2/11 4:29 PM
Honestly it is a shame that this question is labeled as "answered."  It isn't answered.  This isn't a solution.  My Maps is not usable.  I have about 200-250 locations on my map and there isn't a way to find them.

Thanks, google.  I guess I should check out bing, afterall.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Jamie794 5/4/11 7:09 PM
Since this thread is still going, and the basic problem has not been solved, here is one more helpful feature that I just found (maybe everybody already knows it, but I didn't and I haven't seen it mentioned, so. . . ). One of the big problems is simply getting the places in the order you want when the map is split across pages. I can't edit w/ an external KML editor because the import back to Google Maps stretches all of the custom map markers, as others have noted. However, I just noticed that if (in the left-hand pane) you drag a place to the top or bottom of the pane there is a little box "Drop here to move to next [previous] page". It even seems to work. This, together with the basic work-around presented at the very beginning of the thread, has solved my problem, albeit with still too much fuss. . . and editing the split pages remains a mess, as all the markers from all the pages appear incorrectly all over the map no matter what page I am on.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 5/5/11 1:31 AM
Seems to me that a specific Google-map-editor application might be best way to go for people with higher demands on maps than the usual. (peeps' I know at google could create that in their lunch break ... :) just about)

I get around most things by hosting (then linking via G-M to ) kml files on own server/site. I've become fairly ok at  "find-replace" cmd scripts on the raw kml file text. Can do all sorts of stuff with icons locations, descriptions etc with just a text editor ... (not a dedicated kml editor) .

NB: updates then require updating raw file and G-M cache can lag for a bit. Not the easy-peasy googlemaps thing.
But done right results are exactly as required ... for instance, can embed G-M link on website with 500+ sites.. all visible on single page. In alphabetical order or even by postcode or other criteria.

I haven't done anything but a few experiments with "google fusion" (as suggested by Barry) but developments there might provide longer-term on-going answers

I think it is clear G-maps needs a second tier of user access with enhanced manipulation options. I guess even some of us would pay for that. (shhhh ...  I didn't say that)

cheers mappers
Magnetman
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Jamie794 5/10/11 10:26 PM
Thanks for the response-- I can imagine hosting the kml on my own server and getting skilled at various "raw" editing of the re-arrange and search-replace variety, but how do you add markers to the map? Unlike some who have posted that when, say, on page 2 of a map that is divided into separate pages they only see the markers for that page (i.e., page 2), I actually have *all* the markers visible. Clicking on a marker that is not actually on that "page" won't display or allow any editing, even though the mouse pointer changes to indicate a link. It is actually a bit screwier, as the markers are "sticky" no matter what I do to refresh the screen, zoom in or out-- it the marker is on a different page than I am viewing, it stays put *on the screen*, not moving w/ changes in map zoom or centering.

So-- if hosting on a separate server and linking via G-M, how do you add markers? And am the only one whose markers all display, no matter what page of a divided map I am looking at? It is *really* hard to keep track of this nonsense!

Jamie
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 5/11/11 1:52 AM
Sorry Jamie,

I had answered you quite succinctly, and at length, then had a power outage before i clicked "reply" now can't be bothered remembering and retyping everything.

Some answer to last paragraph at least .. Open a kml file in text editor and you will see "markers" referenced ..  you can change those to anything as long as GM knows where to find them. Make and host your own if you want.

I feel your pain Jamie ... but i am not GM ... just someone who has solved own issues using what is available and persistence and determination towards end goal. I don't blame GM, I just appreciate them for some pretty cool ingredients to work with. (think there is some things could be better no doubt)

You can throw a pile of food in a pressure cooker and you know it will cook. If you want something different or special ... you need to be creative. And no one can blame the pressure cooker for that.

best of luck m8
Magnetman
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 5/11/11 2:01 AM
edit . *And no one can blame the pressure cooker for --- lack* --- of that.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Morgan Wick 5/27/11 3:19 AM
This trick fails at step 1. In IE9, right-clicking the "View in Google Earth" link does not pull up the right menu that contains the "copy shortcut" link. Instead, it seems to treat it as though there were no link there at all, and pulls up the menu for the entire page. (This seems to be common in IE with certain types of links, I think especially "dynamic" ones.)
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Kuldeep Niico 6/12/11 12:30 AM
Niico Packers and Movers welcomes you, Niico Packers and Movers was founded by a group with years of experience on their side and the goal of establishing a quality and service. Our people are professional, courteous, and highly trained. We are known packers and movers in all over market arena. With a sole aim to offer total customer satisfaction. Our services include Packing & Moving, Residential Relocation, Commercial Relocation, Industrial Relocation, and International Shifting, Loading & Unloading, Packing & Unpacking Services, Insurance, Transportation and Warehousing Services.
                  NO MATCH GOOGLE MAP>
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 6/14/11 1:05 AM
thanks Barry for taking care of this thread.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! greaseweasel 6/17/11 1:27 PM
Hey All...check out Batch Geo. It's finally the solution I have been looking for.

http://batchgeo.com/
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! nemozny 7/24/11 11:53 PM
Hello, last week the problem was there, splitting mashup into pages. Today I've created My map, uploaded GPX track record, uploaded photos to Picasa and imported them into mashup

(import URL is not working, you have to click the URL "View in Google Earth", download the file a rename it to whatever.kml, then upload as file to My map - btw)

and now is the problem gone, all points are on one page/map, but mashup is not showing the thumbnails, only markers! I have to click either "show photo" (or similar) or click the marker on the map.

From my point of view, this is much better than paginating the mashup, but is there any way to make it look as once ago?

Thanks for answer
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Herwerden 9/16/11 6:27 AM
Hi all,

I'm experiencing the same pagination issue. Tried to follow the steps as explained by Barry, but I can't seem to find the 'View in Google Earth' link. I do get the 'Earth' picture in the top right-hand corner of the map (where you can toggle between the Earth, Satellite and Map views). However, right clicking the 'Earth' picture doesn't do anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Herwerden
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 9/16/11 4:08 PM
Yes Herwrden, Googlemaps has changed since that solution was posted.
I have just done a quick test on a workaround... and it seems to work.
1. select the link icon it top right of page
2 copy the link location (top one, not short url and not the embed link)
3 paste location into address bar
4 add "&output=kml" to the end

it should ask if you want to save or open that file. (firefox) ... continue as per previous solution.

Thanks for posting the question, I have been meaning to look how work around the changes. Just needed a nudge. Let me know if it works for you. As i say, I did a "quick" test. I'm too time poor to check it through completely.

Hope that helps.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 9/16/11 4:28 PM
PS .. you don't need to open OR save that link. The" xxxxxxxx&output=kml " link is what you put into googlemap search box. Barry updated method works fine too but only if you are working out of "my maps" .
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 9/16/11 4:49 PM
@Herwerden:

The  'View in Google Earth'  is now visible as the blue GEarth icon next to the KML link below the desrciption of the Map in your My Places of GoogleMaps.
Nevertheless the hints of brettbmagnet are also useful and applicable.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! brettbmagnet 9/16/11 5:06 PM
It is indeed ehg ...  But, the revelation for me is that I work with lots of "other peoples" maps that are not necessarily saved in My Places. And the loss of the "View in Google Earth" link was a damn nuisance that I needed to resolve ... The "&output=kml" suffix should work on any map.

cheers
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! barryhunter 9/16/11 6:26 PM
The article linked in the first post has already been updated to refer to the "KML" link. That article should be considered the most uptodate.

Said link appears on all maps not just your own.
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! Herwerden 9/20/11 2:29 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for your swift replies. I unexpectedly managed to work it out myself: rightclicking the blue KML link on the left-hand side of the screen does the trick.

Best regards,

Herwerden
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! CrashData 9/30/11 12:29 PM
I tried the KML trick and it worked, except it is displaying my icons as the default blue. I spent about 2 days getting 400 locations in there in various icons and now it's all gone *tears hair out*

I tried to outwit it and opened the KML in Google earth, but all of the icon links were broken and I received a red x for all 400 or so locations. I tried to view it in different browsers and that didn't work.

please help?
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! ehg 9/30/11 1:54 PM
@CrashData:
see in [1] my postings from 9/24/11 and later. 
Many people are experiencing the same issue as you - applying the KML-trick will show on maps the markes only as blue default markers. 
I reported it 9/24/11 to Google. Now we have to wait...
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! superp1errot 12/26/11 12:02 AM
It works for me,
one map for all my youtube videos : http://goo.gl/x8WWv

thank you very much !
Re: Has your My Map unexpectedly split into pages? Read this! stevehc 1/13/12 9:43 AM
I have tried this on a map and it worked.  The only thing is that where there is a tight bend on the route line, it seems to add a spike there.  The result is that when you are zoomed out from the map it looks like the route line has lots of starts along it.  Any idea why this is happening?

More topics »