Categories: Issues and Troubleshooting : Maps : Windows :

Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd JulienVanier 7/23/12 12:29 PM
I noticed on July 22nd that the Send to car feature of Google Maps stopped working for Ford vehicles with Sync in the US. Several other Ford owners have reported the same issue.

Instead of saying "Message was successfully sent to car!" when clicking Send for any destination, Google Maps shows the generic error message "Sorry, we were unable to send this message at this time."

When I called Ford Service at 800-392-3673 I was told that this might be due to an update on the Ford website, but the service person couldn't say when this would be fixed.

Is the Google Maps team aware of this issue? Can anyone confirm whether the issue is on the Ford side or the Google side? Any idea when this might be fixed?

Sending a destination from Mapquest to a Ford vehicle still works so there's still a workaround, but I hope that Google and Ford will fix this issue soon.

Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd octmarkk 8/2/12 3:00 PM
It appears that sending directions to Ford vehicles now has been completely removed from the list. Is there any update from google on this issue?
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd JulienVanier 8/2/12 8:10 PM
I contacted Ford Service and here's the reply: "Send to SYNC works with MapQuest but no longer with Google. For instructions on this feature, see this link: http://cot.ag/OpQGjj"

By the way, the same thing seems to be happening with GM OnStar. From OnStar's Google+ profile: "While our partnership with Google Maps is ending you can still use MapQuest to send directions to your vehicle from your computer. Hope that helps! - Lisa"

Very disappointing.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Aaron Wolen 8/4/12 6:01 AM
Can someone from Google comment on why this is and if send to Sync functionality will be reinstated? Is the plan really to make us use mapquest?
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Daniel (Google Community Manager) 8/8/12 10:23 AM
We can confirm that the Send-to-Car feature is no longer available for Ford and GM drivers, though it continues to be available for drivers of other makes.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd oktoberrust 8/10/12 12:56 PM
I just discovered this is no longer an option for my Ford Focus; how disappointing. It worked so well, so smoothly. I loved this functionality.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd rustystring 8/28/12 8:29 AM
But that doesn't say why......

Google maps is way better than mapquest.  What's the deal?????
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd p4kelly4 9/4/12 8:52 AM
since Im not going to change my car just to accommodate google and since they care less about the user's any more I think I'll just go else where. I've been with google long before you went public when it was just a bunch of IT people and it was fun and informative, now it seems it has gone down hill and and not worth having anymore
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd oktoberrust 9/4/12 9:05 AM
As mentioned earlier in this thread, use mapquest.com, they support Sync.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Willie92 9/11/12 9:03 AM
Anyone know of a workaround or hack to get this working?  Of course I could us Mapquest, but I don't WANT to.  My default it Google maps.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Doug Arenberg 9/20/12 10:04 AM
I agree. This is very disappointing that I cannot simply send locations to MyFordSync.  The navigation module in my car is annoyingly frustrating, but it always worked nearly seamlessly with Google Maps "Send To Car" function...until recently.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd mike.welker 9/22/12 8:42 AM
This is astonishing.

One of the only reasons I paid for the Sync Services subscription was because I could easily find a destination in Google Maps, and send it direct to Sync.  Ford's "Sync Destinations" app is close to useless, being clunky, sometimes out of date, and nowhere near as powerful as Google maps.

Now.  I have a Galaxy S3, which can easily double as a nav unit, but that's not the point.  I paid $60/ year for my truck to have turn-by-turn navigation.  It doesn't have the ford touch system, so I simply get the LCD readout and speech for the street names, with no map.  I still paid for the service, because it was so easy to send a destination from my PC, and not have to worry about docking my phone (with a binder clip on the vent no less, as Samsung oddly does not sell a dedicated car dock for arguably the worlds best selling phone), plugging in a charger, and fiddling with the phone in general.

What I want to know is: who dropped the ball?  Did Ford want more money in order for Google to hook into their system?  If so, they will be losing an additional $60 from me when I do not renew my services subscription.  Did Google not wish to bargain with Ford, or try to lowball them somehow?

Basically, if it's Ford's fault (in my opinion), I will be dropping Sync Services
If it's the Google maps team's fault (and they don't fix it soon), I will be using Waze/ Mapquest from now on.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Greg Boyd 9/27/12 11:02 AM
I find that Mapquest works great with sync.  Now that I found that this feature works I have now use Mapquest exclusively and have become fond of it.  Sometimes it is all about what we get used to... not that Google is so much better but it is just what we have gotten used.  It does have more detail in some areas than mapquest but most of it is useless for simple navigation.  Greg
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Blessed Wire 11/2/12 4:09 PM
There an APP on Google Play Called Send To Car. You can easily use google maps on your phone and share a location you find using this App.

Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd timonste 11/2/12 10:24 PM
Well ben trying to send it to my focus by MapQuest but there no more option for car. All there is it email and Facebook. Anybody else having the same problem?

Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Willie92 11/2/12 11:36 PM
Yes, the app still works, but that's not the point.  It's faster to search for addresses on the computer.  And when I'm on my computer I don't want to have to transfer that to my cell phone.  What I'm looking for is a computer-based solution.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd Willie92 11/2/12 11:38 PM
Whew!  You scared me!  I just check MapQuest again and the option to send it to a car (and Sync) is still there.  You have to put in an address first though.  If you click on "Send" on MaqQuest's main page (without having searched for an address) all you get is an option for email and Facebook.
Re: Send destination to Ford Sync broken since July 22nd timonste 11/3/12 8:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I was doing it all wrong.