Categories: Discuss with others : Reading and Receiving Messages : Google Chrome :

Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab

Showing 1-203 of 220 messages
Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab LadyBugz 2/20/13 10:11 AM
As of today, due to low usage, Gmail has decided to retire the Create a Docs Lab, a lab which allowed you to create a document from a Gmail conversation. Moving forward, if you would like to create a document from a Gmail conversation, you can try printing the conversation, saving the PDF, and then uploading it to Drive. Or, if you prefer, you can copy and paste the conversation into a newly created document.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Himtex 2/21/13 12:05 AM
This function is very much used in the operations of my company. I am very disappointed in the gmail disable this function.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab LukaForum 2/21/13 7:33 AM
Dear LadyBugzGoogle Employee ,
I have not seen any communication on the official Google & Gmail blogs, yet.
Is this the official announcement?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ed Halpaus 2/21/13 10:09 AM
This is very disappointing. I used it every once in a while, and it was much more convenient than a copy and paste, which is what I did prior to that "Create a Document" Lab. It sure would be nice if Google would rethink this action.  
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab GoBigSocialMedia.com 2/21/13 10:53 AM
You can still save to your Google Drive through the "print" dialog.

1) Open an email in Gmail.
2) Click on the print icon. A new window with the print dialog will open.
3) Under destination, click "Change". A small window with options will open.
4) Near the bottom under Google Cloud Print, click "Save to Google Drive". The window will close.
5) Click "Save"
6) Go to your Google Drive and the document should be there.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Himtex 2/21/13 11:36 AM
I know that. But the problem is that the information that arrives at my gmail in the tables. If you copy it, and make it a no document dimension table.If I go to a real cloud print the document in pdf format with no data changes. So I and my partners can not see the changes. From all this it follows that a system with such a problem in my company and I have to look for another solution.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab zennippon 2/21/13 12:38 PM
This is unbelievable.  I used this function in my business now its gone.  Thats it I'm off back to microsoft.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Brad V***** 2/21/13 1:37 PM
I would use this feature if it included the email headers (from/to/subject/date), as when printing off an email. Please consider adding headers into the document that this tool creates, rather than shuttering the feature. I think you'll find your "low usage" problems will disappear.

Thanks.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Google User123 2/22/13 5:56 AM
Please reconsider and turn this feature back on. I use this feature all the time.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Michelle Foster 2/22/13 6:58 AM
I'm incredibly disappointed this has been taken away.  This was so useful, now I have extra inefficient steps in saving all of these emails.  Terrible decision Google!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab rupadabe 2/22/13 7:02 AM
Agreed - bad idea to remove this Lab. Please reconsider.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab B-R-G 2/22/13 7:52 AM
Add me to the people who want you to restore this feature!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ed Halpaus 2/22/13 10:05 AM
Thanks for your help and information. I followed the instructions and it worked. However, it produced a pdf version of the email with no ability to edit the document. Still it is useful, but not as useful as the 'create a document' labe we used to have. Thanks again for the help.
Ed
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jake.snyder 2/22/13 10:48 AM
My users are upset that this lab has been removed.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab TE139 2/22/13 11:38 AM
Anyway we can get this lab brought back?  I work for Costco and a lot of people in the office used that feature to save emails into the Google drive. Having to print them and email them to yourself is waste of time and resources.

Thanks,
James

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab arein 2/22/13 12:02 PM
Another vote to add the feature back. I like to use this too.
Thanks.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Laura Knaapen 2/22/13 12:25 PM
Could they please reconsider?  If it had been placed on the dropdown arrow for each message instead of up in the More dropdown, more people would have found it and used it!  It's better than the create event option, which is still there.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Robert Sumner 2/22/13 2:09 PM
I used it a lot. I am disappointed.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Robert Sumner 2/22/13 6:22 PM
1. I want the Google doc, not a .pdf, and 2. Even this method doesn't work in the hosted Google Application version of Gmail.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab katiezee2 2/23/13 3:51 AM
So Google concluded the  'create-a-document'  had low usage.  First-- not accurate , and  second--even if true, so what ?  What disadvantage to Google  comes  from just leaving it be for the many who do use it  ?  None, but a disadvantage to each user now left without.  Just put it back.

Constantly changing  the various facets of Google, just because they can-- has done them damage  by  loss of faith & loyalty in unhappy users, leaving in big numbers.  .  .  Are you paying attention, Google ? ?
They seem to putting their (bad) decisions,  such as this,  into practice on the sly  lately, maybe hoping no one will notice.  (Another is their  censorship of google-search results.)
For what good it will do,  return the option to gmail.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/23/13 4:15 AM
Hi Katie,

When they say "Low usage", you have to keep in mind that there are several hundred million Gmail users (it was about 350M a year ago), so even if 100,000 people use it, it is 0,02% -- even one million users are just 0,2%.

From a programming and application development perspective, the reason can be compatibility: when you update a progam, you have to make all the old features compatible with it. And so, to save time and resources, you leave the rarely-used features behind. It is like operating systems and web browsers: as fewer and fewer people used Internet Explorer 6, support for it was dropped.

To go forward, you can try the "print to PDF" method described by LadyBugz above.
You can also try this script: Archive Gmail messages to Google Drive folders

Edit:
Here are two more with similar functions:
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Himtex 2/23/13 4:33 AM
This was the link between Gmail and drive. You can not say that many do not like the tool used in the laboratory more than this. The only solution that I invest in your site and that my business does not depend on more than one. As far as Google is tomorrow, he can think that all pays. As they say here, everything is pretty short-lived, and if you should have to pay for a longer duration.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jrbd 2/23/13 7:33 AM
I have a handbreak in my car that someone found useful at the time they invented it. I don use the handbreak every day, in fact I can not remember last time I used it.
Even so, it would seem stupid to remove it because someone is not using it regularly, right?

The point being: If you have a good feature that is working perfectly and also differentiates this product from other products - why do one have to argue to keep it? If they are planning on coming with more features that I will become dependent on, just to remove it later on - I will not be the testbed - I will change to another product portfolio.

PS: I thought the whole idea behind "Labs" was so that I could decide which feature to use? Gmail and Google Drive is not a Beta anymore, so Google should treat us with more respect.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ed Halpaus 2/23/13 8:04 AM
Very well said. Thanks.
Ed
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/23/13 9:11 AM
Well, if you really want to have an argument about that:
If you haven't noticed so far, you don't have a handbrake in the new cars -- only an electronic parking brake.

As for your remark about Labs, here's what you can see at the top of the page when you go to Settings --> Labs:

Gmail Labs: Some crazy experimental stuff.
Gmail Labs is a testing ground for experimental features that aren't quite ready for primetime. They may changebreak or disappear at any time.

Have a look at the alternatives that have been posted so far and give them a try.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab katiezee2 2/23/13 9:18 AM
Yes I see your point--there is usually more than one way of looking at a situation.
 I tried another way to the same end,  I'm just real annoyed about it, addied to other unwelcomed changes in Google.  
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/23/13 12:51 PM
Well, once they decided to retire this feature, it is unlikely they'll bring it back, but it never hurts to ask.
In the meantime, have a look at the alternatives that have been posted so far and give them a try.

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:36:16 PM UTC+1, geebump wrote:
Very useful feature! Please consider reinstating it!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wbacon111 2/23/13 5:16 PM
add me to please reconsider add re-istate this feature
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/24/13 2:28 AM
Well, once they decided to retire this feature, it is unlikely they'll bring it back, but it never hurts to ask.
In the meantime, have a look at the alternatives that have been posted so far and give them a try.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jrbd 2/24/13 2:59 AM
Okay, just to make it very clear - I don`t want an argument that goes on forever. Your two wrong arguments dosen`t make it right.

1. Yes, you`re right, there is a electronic parking brake in new cars. But you are missing the point again; The functionality of the brake is still there - dosen`t matter if it is electronic or manual, right?

2. Yes, you`re right again, it is crazy experimental stuff. But you are missing the point once more;
Some of the most ingenious inventions have come from experimental stuff. Some things are implemented and other things are left alone. The feature "Create Google Drive Doc from Gmail" was implemented and used for some years - and now shut down because it was "only used bye a few million people". For instance it would seem pointless in removing a functionality in MS Excel like the "Transpose Excel data from rows to columns, or vice versa" - which is not often used, but when you need it - it is possibly the most time saving feature in MS Excel.

Which reminds me: Is there a Transpose functionality in Google Drive? That would be neat.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/24/13 8:42 AM
Neither you nor me know the numbers behind the scenes. If Google say only a fraction of the users used it, we have to take their word for it.
Have a look at the alternatives that have been posted so far and give them a try.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jrbd 2/24/13 9:31 AM
One last time:

1. The numbers don`t matter, it`s the principle. If we are talking about hundreds of thousands or millions - the feature is still missing from a product. If there is about 350 million Gmail users and only 1% is using this feature - it is a big deal for the 1% - which still is millions of users!

2. Agree. Lets try the alternatives. I know they do not work for meg (unfortunately).

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ed Halpaus 2/24/13 10:11 AM
To add my 2 cents worth. I will miss the option to create a Google Doc with the click of one 'button.' I can always copy and paste, which is likely what I will do. I have tried the other method given about going to Print and then creating a pdf in Google Docs, but I want a doc I can edit, and a pdf  isn't something I can edit, and even if I knew how it would not be as easy as it was with the one button lab we no longer have.

I got a message on my Google Docs page once that told me how much I was using, how much was in my trash, and that google docs didn't count against my free 5 gigs of space, but word and pdf's did. (I was using 4 gigs and had 1 gig in trash, so i dumped the trash and had more space to save docs of various kinds. - many of the google docs I want to save permanently I convert to word and save in Drop Box.) anyway, after seeing that message I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would use a pdf if he didn't have to - now we, by using the  printing to Google docs method we have to. So now I wonder if google is hoping this retiring of the lab will result in more of us going over the 5 gigs and paying for storage space. Even a small dollar amount times hundreds of thousands or millions will increase the profits for a large enterprise.

It wouldn't be a surprise if would say this is not the case. But it's been my experience that large companies, like many people, do, in the end, what is best for them not what is best for others. I like google, but I don't think they always have the best interest of the consumer in the forefront.

There's my 2 cents worth and worth less than that.

Ed

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Linden Bean 2/24/13 1:41 PM
This is really disappointing. I used this feature every day, and switched over to using gmail for collaborative documents primarily because of this feature. I will definitely be looking for an alternative that bypasses gmail/google at this point, because I'm tired of getting used to using a feature, only to have it removed or altered in a way that entirely removes the previous functionality--such as all of the changes that have been made to google drive.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel every single time, google folks. You definitely don't have to set the wheel on fire.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/24/13 2:00 PM
Yes, a disadvantage of the other methods is the PDF format.

(unknown) 2/24/13 3:58 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Craig Boudreaux 2/24/13 4:00 PM
Another reason not to consider gmail as an business platform.  This should be a simple task, not one that takes multiple steps as you describe.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/24/13 4:33 PM
Gmail was never meant to be used for business purposes -- perhaps you mean Google Apps... but then you are in the wrong forum.
Anyway, while we're at it, could you list a few other webmail services that offer this feature? In case someone's interested.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/24/13 4:33 PM
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Craig Boudreaux 2/24/13 6:50 PM
Can I quote you on that?  There was a team trying to sell this to my company a while back.  It would simplify things if the execs knew that this wasn't intended for business.

I think most people would see that comment as a cop-out.  I think Google is beyond the 'beta' excuse on email.

Our corporate email platform does allow me to save emails directly to a document.  I have people depending on that as a standard feature, for the same reasons I'd like to use this in my own personal business.  But that's not limiting my world view to just webmail services as you asked.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ed Halpaus 2/24/13 7:53 PM
Your loyalty to Google is admirable; is it reciprocal?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Richard v Delft 2/25/13 2:48 AM
Bad move. I believed that Google pushed the integration between their services. I would expect a better integration between gmail and drive.
What do I get, the integration for receiving mail (and pushing it to drive) is removed :(
I know it was a lab function, still disappointed.
Alternatives like PDF storage (via google cloud print) or ITFFF (3rd party access) are not suitable.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/25/13 6:55 AM
Please read my reply again regarding Gmail and business use.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Laura Knaapen 2/25/13 9:55 AM
Gmail is part of Google Apps for Business.  Check the Google Apps web site, gravi.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/25/13 9:59 AM
Gmail and Google apps are not the same thing, Lau. And sorry but I'm not going to start an off-topic argument here.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/25/13 10:01 AM
Richard, you can send in feature requests here: Suggest a feature
Use the "I have another idea" menu at the bottom.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ed Halpaus 2/25/13 10:28 AM
Finally some useful information. Thank you!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab carrie saarinen 2/25/13 5:36 PM
I use it all the time. I am absolutely unhappy about this.

Not cool, Google.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Button Bigot 2/25/13 7:22 PM
I just wasted about an HOUR trying to figure out what happened to this feature.  The .02 of users are your biggest supporters, and the ones Google irritates the most because we feel ignored.  Our time doesn't matter, it seems.

First let's discuss the feature and workaround. --- There is NO GOOD METHOD of printing this to a google doc -- much of the problem of going from one type of media to another is that you LOSE formatting.  It is just NOT the same.

Can't you provide a method for THIRD PARTY to create a plug-in that will do this??

Y'know, you could have at least LEFT the entry in LABS and say, "DISABLED", rather than just make it disappear.  Frankly, I have MASSIVE difficulty trying to get my company to use the APPS platform.  Sure, there are lots of things to like.  But, you are losing the success you could have had, if you would listen and respond to your users.  

.02 % usage sound incredibly "not valuable".  But, if you take all of the features of most software, you'd likely DELETE 95% of ALL software features that fall below to .02 % usage.  

I don't USE my spare tire or jack in my car much at all.... so, TAKE THAT SPARE AND JACK OUT OF MY CAR???  Are you CRAZY?   No... of course it would be crazy, and so is measuring usefulness based on percentages.  

I hope you don't decide if and when lifeboats might be needed and therefore remove them.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/26/13 1:18 AM
Bigot,

The numbers I gave in my post are only examples -- I do not have access to the actual data, only Google does. Also I am not arguing for or against, I was just giving additional info / points of view to the discussion.
I have also posted a link to the "Suggest a feature" page, use that ti send in your requests to Google.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab dieter maria r 2/26/13 6:29 AM
Please bring back this feature!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Button Bigot 2/26/13 8:56 AM
Can't you provide a method for THIRD PARTY to create a plug-in that will do this??  If so, who could do this, and where should I look?  Is there an area in Google that works with third party plugins that could do this for all users, and not just premium Apps customers?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 2/26/13 10:05 AM
Hi,

I really don't know. I think it is possible to create scripts and run them from Google Drive (some of the alternatives above work this way).
As for alternatives, if one knows how to do such things, there are different possibilities: a Google Drive script, a Google Chrome browser add-on, for Google Apps there is their marketplace.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Button Bigot 2/26/13 10:40 AM
I don't think a script will work, since you can't execute the action at all from the console while in Gmail, which is what it must do.  The app must be able to programmatically get an exact copy with formatting of the GMail intact, and then use that to create a new Google doc.  

Perhaps if we had the source code for the LABS app that was just retired, we could figure out how to do this. anyone from Google know how we can get it?  I don't mind that Google won't can't do it, but I do mind if they won't help someone else from providing this solution

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MerHer 2/26/13 7:33 PM
Please bring back the Create a Doc feature! It was such a handy option that I used all the time.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Gary Weiner 2/26/13 8:14 PM
: ((((((((
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Mark Watkins 2/27/13 6:00 AM
what a bummer - i used this feature all the time!!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wbacon111 2/27/13 9:07 AM
ladybugz,
Will google allow somebody else write an app to reproduce this function?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Mark Watkins 2/27/13 9:13 AM
there is a workaround using the new gdrive clipper which will capture the email and post to gdrive..but it is in a png file format and has to be reopened with docs and reformatted to get rid of extraneous graphics.  Not nearly as elegant.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab rosenblattallan 2/27/13 9:26 AM
Possibly another workaround. Right click on the body of the email-- click "save as"--- save  in the "HTML only" format but then force the .doc extension onto the name. When you use word to go into your computer files and open the newly saved document, it appears to open correctly as a word document.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Sam Harrison 2/28/13 6:35 AM
Bad decision Google. I thought the end game was surely to interconnect all Google products so they worked succinctly together? This is a step completely in the wrong direction.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Carri Schneider 2/28/13 7:10 AM
This is infuriating. I used this daily.
(unknown) 2/28/13 11:18 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 2/28/13 11:34 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab xrbbaker 2/28/13 12:55 PM
Ahhhh.  You kill me...
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mudshark 2/28/13 4:37 PM
This is very disappointing. I just discovered this lab a couple of weeks ago. Maybe if people had known about it they'd have used it more. I loved it!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Nancy Broncaccio 2/28/13 6:31 PM
Seriously?? What does Google consider low usage? Anything other than every hour on the hour? How sad that they have this cloud storage space and no functional way to move emails from their own email service into the storage.
How forward-thinking of the Google braintrust.
Adding this to recent revelations about government agencies reading gmail, and the constant ad bombardment, maybe it's time to go back to Outlook. Or anywhere else.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Gary Weiner 2/28/13 7:12 PM
daviddrummond is general counsel at google.com

email address of general counsel available on CA state bar website to the public

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Barbara Nunn 3/1/13 6:49 AM
Absolutely! could not agree more. Ridiculous and stupid move on the part of google
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Barbara Nunn 3/1/13 6:50 AM
Exactly-it is very frustrating and clunky now to save emails,especially when they are airline tickets etc
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Barbara Nunn 3/1/13 6:51 AM
Me too. Stupid move from google and would make me think twice about staying with them for email!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Nicola Christie-Thompson 3/1/13 12:20 PM
I am extremely dissapointed. I use this quite frequently in my work.  The alternative is so time consuming with not quite the same results. I  hope Google will reconsider their decision.
--

------------------------------

*Attention:*

This e-mail message has been scanned for viruses and content. The
information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may also be
subject to legal privilege. It is intended only for the recipient(s) named
above. If you are not named above as a recipient, you must not read, copy,
disclose, forward or otherwise use the information contained in this
e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
(whose contact details are above) immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the message and any attachments without retaining any copies.

------------------------------

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Bob Hellenga 3/1/13 2:43 PM
VERY annoying. I used it every day. I expected better from Google.

Robert Hellenga

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab SSamra 3/2/13 9:34 PM
It was a very convenient feature, specially, when you have multiple emails in a thread and need to convert to a doc. As far as low usage, it is most likely that lot of people may not have realized the convenience of being able to convert 10-20 emails to a doc in seconds. It would be great if Google's team would reconsider this decision and put this feature back. Thanks.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Guido-san 3/3/13 7:03 AM
gravi-t:

Do you work for Google? or are  like one of the rest of the users here, and just a very experienced user?

Like almost everyone else here, perhaps barring you, I am REALLY missing the functionality - it WAS how I shared important reference emails between team members of my organisation. PDF'ing doesn't work for me, as we edit the reference emails.

Your introducing the comment that Gmail is not intended for business use, implies to my mind that for Google Apps For Business users, (which IS intended for business by definition), still has the funtionality. Is that the case?? (I can't find it) - or was this just a red herring?

It might be a small deal to Google, but for the small number of users of the feature, it's a big deal - one that we woke up one day to find we didn't have.

Consulation is not an evil

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Robert Sumner 3/3/13 11:40 AM
I was one of the first business Google Apps users and I used this function. And yes, it was turned off in Google Apps for business, too.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Guido-san 3/3/13 1:04 PM
While I deplore Google's "our way or the highway", non-consultative deletion of this functionality (What were you thinking G team? Or maybe you weren't.. Corporate Ego is alive and well) there has been one unexpected silver lining in this sorry occurrence for me, and my team.

I used the Save to Googlle Docs feature to share important email conversations my other staff. ( by the way, note the the Print To PDF solution given only does INVIDIDUAL messages - the deleted Save to Docs feature used to save whole grouped conversations)

In searching for a workaround/solution to the deleted function (including looking at switching back to Microsoft/Outlook 365), I found this cool service for Google Apps for Business users from Grexit.com. It allows you to create and  share Labels ( ie, folders) and Projects across your entire team within Gmail/Google Apps, so everyone in your team can see, and use the shared and sorted email messages and archives.

This, for me, is a better answer than Share to Docs/Drive. It possibly also answers why Google have deep sixed the free Save to Drive option... $$$$..  :-)
Grexit say they will be implementing their service for normal Gmail users soon.

Hope this helps some...

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 3/3/13 1:52 PM
Gmail is indeed not for business use -- Google Apps is. As it has already been discussed here.
I really don't feel the need to discuss the same topic all over again.
Google employees are identifiable by the "g" logo next to their name.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 3/3/13 1:58 PM
Here's the help article about forum badges:

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Barbara Nunn 3/4/13 12:33 AM
So agree! I know plenty of other people who may not have posted on this forum but who are very displeased indeed with this high handed and ridiculous change to a useful and relevant app
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jrbd 3/4/13 12:42 AM
Gmail and Gmail for Google Apps is quite the same thing: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34383
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 3/4/13 12:51 AM
Gmail is a free webmail service.
Google Apps is a paying online service suite that contains a number of web services.
I will not post anything more in this regard as it is off-topic.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jrbd 3/4/13 1:47 AM
Sorry for saying this, but you must possibly be one of the most quarrelsome persons. I just said that Gmail and Gmail for Google Apps is very similar - not the same – And the lacking feature in question remains the same in both cases. It might not be so off topic as You would like it to be, because the same challenge is there for both services. Hence, the link I added in my last post. Somebody needs to point out the similarities between the services (Gmail and Google Apps). I know you will not respond because you said so. Even if you very much like to respond to my emotional post, but I hope you see some humor between the lines when I say you are "quarrelsome"... ;-)
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gravi_t 3/4/13 2:06 AM
"I just said that Gmail and Gmail for Google Apps is very similar - not the same"
vs.
"Gmail and Gmail for Google Apps is quite the same thing"
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jrbd 3/4/13 2:32 AM
You are actually a funny guy! And you responded with humor. This is turning off topic! And wordplay with "quite the same thing" meaning "not ALL the same thing" and a reference link describing the few differences – versus "is very similar - not the same thing"... Pedant. Prig. Fusspot. Sorry for you other folks. We promise this is our last off topic. We will contact each other in a pm for further discussions on such important topics ;-)
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab bkennelly 3/4/13 7:30 AM
On Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:04:01 PM UTC-7, John Fitzwater wrote:

I used the Save to Googlle Docs feature to share important email conversations my other staff. ( by the way, note the the Print To PDF solution given only does INVIDIDUAL messages - the deleted Save to Docs feature used to save whole grouped conversations)

I am not arguing that Print to PDF is an adequate solution either, but I did want to point out that it also works with conversations.  You only need to start with "Print all", rather than the individual message print.  ("Print all" is the the printer icon at the top of the conversation.)

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Jshrewsbury 3/4/13 7:46 AM
Of all the labs to retire, they choose this one!? Unbelievable. Printing to a PDF is hardly the same thing and copying and pasting is arduos and inefficient. Google  screwed up on this one.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Barbara Nunn 3/4/13 7:59 AM
Exactly! One may as well cut and paste/screen dump the whole email into Drive under their Create a Document in Drive
The whole point is that it used a quick and painless way to save an email such as an airline or train booking confirmation
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Snowd0g 3/4/13 9:32 AM
Stupid to retire this one. I can't imagine that it took all that much to maintain. Low usage != retire

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gillespies 3/4/13 1:06 PM
Maybe it's capability should have been communicated better. It appears those of us who knew about it thought it was really useful. This was a GREAT feature. Saving to PDF then uploading is a waste of time.  
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab David Winston Williams 3/4/13 1:15 PM
What a bummer.... this was the best part of using gmail and goggle drive. oh well, time to look around I guess.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab bkennelly 3/4/13 1:29 PM

On Monday, March 4, 2013 2:06:43 PM UTC-7, gillespies wrote:
Maybe it's capability should have been communicated better. It appears those of us who knew about it thought it was really useful. This was a GREAT feature. Saving to PDF then uploading is a waste of time.  

Again, just to help make it easier, if you are using Chrome you can save as PDF directly to Drive from the print dialogue, without the need for an upload.  Of course, if you use another browser, that is not available.  
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Scott Barrar 3/4/13 3:13 PM
this is disappointing.  Maybe there would be more use of these labs if google actually promoted these features a little rather than disguise it as an advanced technical setting.  Most average users have no idea of these beneficial features.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab DaikokusamaKK DaikokusamaKK 3/5/13 9:48 AM
wtf google they have their heads up their A$$
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab tony.strib 3/5/13 11:51 AM
Create a Document from Gmail was one of the best features Gmail offered me. Sorry to see it go, especially with no announcement on the official Gmail blog.  Not very transparent.  I've wasted time looking for it.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Dave Conradie 3/5/13 9:54 PM
This is neat, thanks for the tip.  I never realised Cloud Print allowed you to print straight to Google Drive.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Nejc Rudel 3/6/13 4:33 AM
You can still save to your Google Drive through the "print" dialog.
1) Open an email in Gmail.
2) Click on the print icon. A new window with the print dialog will open.
3) Under destination, click "Change". A small window with options will open.
4) Near the bottom under Google Cloud Print, click "Save to Google Drive". The window will close.
5) Click "Save"
6) Go to your Google Drive and the document should be there.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab spoilermaker92 3/6/13 3:00 PM
Tried to do that but when I clicked on the print icon, I didn't get any option to "change."  Is this only available in Google Cloud?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab bkennelly 3/6/13 3:10 PM
Yes, it is an option in Google Cloud Print, which is available in Chrome.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Jane Dougan 3/7/13 12:19 PM
We miss the create a document lab feature. We're at a university and it was very convenient.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab devesh sharma 3/7/13 11:15 PM
I'm very disappointed. I used this feature all the time. It was one of the best buttons of the new gmail. Its frustrating to copy paste long mails and copy them to drive. pls restore it asap
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab debjane 3/8/13 11:08 AM
This truly sucks! I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why I can no longer use the Create-a-Doc lab (although I didn't know it was called that -- or that it was still a lab), which was one of my favorite Google features. "Due to low usage"? Really? How, exactly, do you know that? Never mind. Why retire it, though, even if that were true? Was it terribly expensive for Google to keep alive? More wasteful than, say, Recently Used Emoji or Right-Side Chat? I don't get it. And LadyBugz's explanation up there sounds almost sadistic. "You can try printing the conversation, saving the PDF, and then uploading ...." Or, you can do this, and then that, and then paste the whole thing ... blah, blah, many steps to whatever process we're back to putting up with now. This is a big step backward for Google and productivity, it seems to me. And I thought you were the good guys.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Barbara Nunn 3/9/13 1:00 AM
One of the suggestions posted does work! Click on Print icon at top of email. Click on Change Destination for Printer. Click on Google Cloud Print. It will now be saved in your Drive (Google Cloud)
A nuisance though to go through 3 stages instead of one
Very clunky of google!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab rsaifer 3/9/13 8:28 AM
I love this feature and used it every day.  I'm going to check Hotmail and Yahoo and see if they have a create a Doc Feature.  
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jrbd 3/11/13 1:44 AM
Yes, it does work, unfortunately it turns into a pdf-file, so if you have tables in your email you cannot do anything with it later. I loved the editable document that came out of the "create document function".
And if you just want to make an pdf-file, it is possible to do so directly in the print menu. Lets hope Google reconsiders on this one.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Sablotin 3/11/13 3:34 AM
The print solution does work in Chrome but doesn't in firefox.
Maybe that was the idea behind removing this lab: force people to use their web navigator...
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 3/11/13 7:32 AM
It will work equally well in Firefox if you install a PDF printer into Windows or your MacOS and save the file to your Google Drive folder. 

There is no requirement to use Chrome - it's just easier because the Save to Drive option is already there in the Chrome print dialog. 

For those who simply want a permanent record of a message saved in Drive, PDF files are ideal.  For those who want their emails saved as editable files in Drive, the only current solution is to copy and paste into a new Drive document. 
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab john dickinson underlined 3/12/13 10:13 AM
Using PDFs takes space in GDrive where Google Docs does not. IF you want me to print to PDF, then you pay for my extra storage space I now need. Oh wait, maybe that was Google's plan all along, make you pay for extra space by saving to GDrive as a PDF...
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 3/13/13 8:27 AM
Not at all. Google's plan all along was to avoid the overhead necessary to test/maintain/update an experimental feature when very few people - statistically - were using it. 

I agree it was quite useful, though for me its usefulness was limited by its inability to save anything but the text of the message itself - no header information was preserved.

But with a rapidly changing interface like Gmail's, the testing and updating involved in ensuring that a lab experiment will continue to work can only be justified if that experiment is used by a majority of Gmail users. This one isn't. Sorry, but that's how Google has always worked. 

It makes a lot of us very cross from time to time - but it's just the way things are.   
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jeromess 3/13/13 9:20 AM
I wonder how much time and money it takes to maintain a feature like this one once it is already created and tested like email to docs was?  

Why do they even bother taking it down?

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Laura Munich 3/13/13 5:23 PM
I am extremely disappointed that this feature has been deprecated! I used it all the time for work and it made my life much easier.

Bring it back, please!!!!

(unknown) 3/13/13 6:04 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 3/13/13 9:49 PM
That must be up there with some of the best "conspiracy" theories, Will Cathcart!  

"Create a document" was only one of the dozens of methods Gmail offers you to get your mail out of your account and into other applications. 
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mdsteenb 3/14/13 7:33 AM
Thank you GoBigSocialMedia - your tip works 'good enough' for me since they removed it.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Christine Caffrey Johnson 3/18/13 11:29 AM
Really - this is a premature decision. Early adopters are always low in numbers. Patience for the rest of us to get caught up....
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Christine Caffrey Johnson 3/18/13 11:33 AM
Thanks!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ben McLeod 3/21/13 3:28 PM
I used this tool almost everyday. I've been trying to figure out where it went.

So far this month, my trust in Google has diminished a great deal. First Google Reader, now this.

But hey, that's OK. We'll soon have Google Glasses.

So annoying. Thanks Google.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab indigocherry 3/24/13 6:37 AM
Seriously pissed about this.  I used this feature almost every day and now will have the utter JOY of having to copy/paste the emails into documents in drive by hand.  This is enough to make me consider dropping Gmail altogether.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 3/24/13 7:28 AM
Do you need to be able to edit/amend the copies you save to Drive? Or are they just for archiving/backup purposes?

If just for archive/backup, then print them from Gmail as PDF files to your Google Drive folder - PDF printing is built-in to Chrome. They will then sync up to Drive.  

Or set up Cloud Print in Chrome, and you will then have the print option of saving direct to Drive as a PDF.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Paul M. Boggs 3/24/13 4:12 PM
You people are making a fundamental error in your thinking about features in your Google products. You are making popularity the exclusive/primary criterion and omitting any consideration of the significance of a feature for a limited number of customers but ones who depend greatly on that particular feature.
Your suggestions for replacing the "Create a Doc" feature, as listed above, are ridiculous! If users need this feature, even if only occasionally, that usually means that the emails they need to create are important - for personal, legal, professional, etc. reasons. This is the case with me.
I am extremely disappointed and annoyed at this decision, especially since it is just another one in a long series of recent decisions by Google which are leading to an increaing level of dissatisfaction among numerous users. (You just have to take a look at blog sites, etc. to see how widespread this dissatisfaction is becoming.)
Microsoft Outlook is becoming more and more appealing!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jawhite 3/25/13 7:01 AM
It's a pdf. Can't edit. That was the benefit of the original process.
Too bad.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab ocarmona 3/25/13 2:09 PM
I agree! I don't understand why they do things like this but they keep other non useful stuff.... c'mon google!! give us an alternative!!!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab gwidianto 3/29/13 2:38 AM
Springpad provides another option of saving individual email in Gmail. To be able to save an email message in Springpad Notebooks, you have to install Springpad Bookmarklet. After installing the bookmarklet, you can highlight some portions of texts in your email message and click the right button of the mouse, then click the "Clip this page" in the context menu. Springpad will save the message.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Wout de Jong | Creetion 3/29/13 9:36 AM
This is really unfortunate. Alternatives are not that good. Copy pasting doesn't include the (inline) images in the mail.
Can't you put it back on? I don't know what the maintenance costs are for this feature, but expect them to be low.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Wout de Jong | Creetion 3/29/13 9:44 AM
PDF printing does not work nicely with widescreen images. It trunks off half of the screenshot. Any way around this limitation?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Button Bigot 3/29/13 10:00 AM
It is obvious that there is NO acceptable alternative today, and NO ONE from Google is listening at all.  If anyone expects Google to fix this and turn it back on, FIRST we have to reach someone and have them listen to the users.  To my knowledge, there has been NO Google employee in any capacity that has seen or responded in any way to this string.  

Google's apparent lack of allowing any meaningful user's input to touch anyone in management, let along engage with them, will eventually be their undoing.  But, it will take a while for that to happen, and someone else like Microsoft must first offer attractive alternatives.  ie, if it doesn't hurt Google, they will never take action.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab malibowers 3/30/13 9:04 PM
I agreee with Himtex, we are disappointed the lab had been broken.  I assumed it was part of gmail and not just experimental.  
It seems you should have given us more warning on the change.
Jim
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab DeanaDolar 4/1/13 4:29 PM
Rats! I used this almost daily, as did many people in a couple of business email groups to which I belong. Please reconsider. What does it matter how many people use it anyway?
Thank you,
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Scott Barrar 4/1/13 4:57 PM
"due to low usage"?  so is safe to assume  google + to not be around in the future either?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab scalf 4/2/13 3:51 PM
Extremely upset about this. Now you need to make a way to print an email without having to print all of the email addresses and other garbage that it contains. Why not leave the lab for those that use it? Trying outlook.com now
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Philip Taylor 4/4/13 9:13 AM
Sorry to hear this.  We had an issue come up at work today and I thought I had a solution which we had used at a previous company to document email exchanges over "incidents" related to safety and other problems.

Please bring this back or as an alternative save the conversation some other common format to docs.  

Thank you.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab bkennelly 4/4/13 9:49 AM
Philip,

As mentioned above, if you are using Chrome, you can us Google Cloud Print to save the messages to Drive in PDF format.  There are also some scripts mentioned that can save the messages for you.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Laura Munich 4/4/13 10:12 AM
What people don't seem to grasp is that saving as a pdf (whatever the method) is NOT an acceptable substitute for creating an editable document.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab bkennelly 4/4/13 10:55 AM
Laura, you are correct and I fully agree.  I was just responding the Philip's "alternative" option.  

The lab had been broken for a long time, but I didn't realise how much I still depended on it until it was retired.  I am hoping for a replacement, too, and none of the suggested alternatives really work well.  "Save to Drive" in PDF format is the closest for me.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mightyhannibal 4/4/13 8:00 PM
BLECH!!!! I MISS THIS!  LOW USAGE MY PRIVATE PARTS. SO FRUSTRATED! YES I"M SHOUTING, I"M REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATED! I USE THAT BUTTON ALL THE TIME!!!!!!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mightyhannibal 4/4/13 8:01 PM
yes yes! Bring it back! I would pay for an "add on" to do this with a single button. So frustrated! I use this button all the time. This is actually a centerpiece of one of my jobs!  PLEASE turn it back on or allow it as an option! So if someone doesn't need it, they don't have to use this option!!!!!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mightyhannibal 4/4/13 8:03 PM
This is indeed very frustrating. Thank you for you post.

Google should reconsider just unilaterally turning off a function. And isn't it counter intuitive, where I'm sure Google Docs products benefit from this??

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab rbdigital 4/5/13 12:48 PM
This was a very useful feature, especially because images embedded in the email would be inserted into the document, along with text. The PDF option using Cloud Print does not enable editing of the PDF, and the copy / paste option does not handle images correctly. And yes, I am using Google Apps for business, and am on the "release" track, so I was surprised to see this feature vanish without notice. But then, nothing surprises me about Google anymore.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Hugh Bannerman 4/5/13 7:03 PM
Sorry to see this function go as I found it very useful
regards
Hugh
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Skip_TML 4/9/13 10:11 AM
LadyBugz,

I'm sorry to see the feature go.  It was very useful.

Skip

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mrsrjp 4/9/13 2:31 PM
lovely, first the new compose, then away with reader, now this. ugh. why get rid of something at all? create something new, sure but if you made it just leave it, who is it hurting?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Nimrod3 4/12/13 12:04 PM
Oh dear.  I am really disappointed I would use that feature about once a week, now I haven't got it I realise how important it was - Okay Google put it back we now appreciate it - job done.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mowens.berry 4/13/13 4:40 AM
I use ..or rather used to use this feature all the time. I am bereft!
I want a quick, slick operation, not one that goes through several hoops. I thought that Google was my answer to easy computer usage. Now it appears that a change was made on advice from the bean counters. Who else could have made such an egregious  mistake.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Claire Costanzo 4/15/13 8:33 AM
I am terribly disappointed too...I kept checking back in hopes they would return the lab.  BAD CALL GMAIL!
(unknown) 4/16/13 8:58 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Lakeview 4/16/13 2:45 PM
Thanks for the tip. I was looking for the create document option and was unable to find it - I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Ultimately I went to Google Help and discovered this feature had been retired; Your instructions on a work-around was a real help. Thanks.

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:53:04 PM UTC-6, GoBigSocialMedia.com wrote:
> You can still save to your Google Drive through the "print" dialog.
>
> 1) Open an email in Gmail.
> 2) Click on the print icon. A new window with the print dialog will open.
> 3) Under destination, click "Change". A small window with options will open.
> 4) Near the bottom under Google Cloud Print, click "Save to Google Drive". The window will close.
> 5) Click "Save"
> 6) Go to your Google Drive and the document should be there.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Steve Donaldson 4/16/13 11:30 PM
Thanks Google for taking away one of the useful parts of you gmail. Your user interface stinks. It looks like an Unix programmer designed it because it is so user unfriendly. Now I find something that would make my life easier and you retire it before I can use it.  The reason it was not used very much is because you made it hard to find.  "Labs", what kind of tab is that.  Put the stupid button where people can find it and then see how under used it is. You need to let all of your gmail user interface people go. For reference, you are just slightly better than Lotus Notes. But like Lotus Notes, you program is written for the programmers not the users!!!!!!!!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Butch Lenhart 4/17/13 10:26 PM
Bummer. Had not used in a while but went to use today and couldn't find. Hopefully they will reconsider.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Tom Sadeghi 4/18/13 6:08 AM
This is very unfortunate removing this feature from Gmail. I have been a prime user of this feature as I receive lots of e-mails [some with embedded pictures] in a different language such as Farsi. The problem with saving them as PDF and/or cut&paste [as evidence in Google translator and other products] the Farsi word shit around and the text become meaningless - something that is very difficult to edit and correct.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Chris Pennells 4/24/13 4:00 AM
Oh man are you kidding? This was THE BEST labs function on gmail. Idiots.
Google's recent failings and mistakes scalf 4/24/13 4:23 AM
Not sure what is happening at Google. Look at the mistakes they have made recently:

Removing create Docs
The new compose window
Doing away with IGoogle Page
Doing away with the Google reader
Lack of improvements to mail sorting and filters

I have to wonder why they are sabotaging their own product?

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Glenn Verner 4/26/13 5:52 AM
I am Missing this feature.
(unknown) 4/26/13 6:09 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab scalf 4/26/13 6:09 AM
Create a doc was more useful than create event
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab icantchooseone 4/26/13 6:10 AM
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab KateCM 5/2/13 10:33 AM
Bad decision..how hard to allow us to save to drive? The result of this will be that I will have to find a way to forward to Evernote or Dropbox (so I can easily print and save (so basic!) and BUY storage with them rather than with Google.  Okay, maybe all your customers don't use this but there will be fewer folks purchasing storage and you may not know that is the reason.
Re: Google's recent failings and mistakes MormonYoYoMan 5/6/13 7:43 PM
Because Obama didn't raise Doug Edwards' taxes high enough?

Back to Microsoft....

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MormonYoYoMan 5/6/13 7:49 PM
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:13:00 AM UTC-5, Nadine Fisher wrote:
> This was a great feature and I miss it!

There is a method. But don't tell Google, or they'll delete it.

Go to PRINT your email thread. (You have no choice. You MUST choose the entire thread, which Google calls a discussion.) Tell it to print NOT to your printer, but to Google Drive.

Sometimes it works. But it ends up as a PDF, and you'll need to convert it to MS Word. You remember. That uptight word processor we used to use before Google Docs spoiled us with its speed, efficiency, and ability to access our documents anywhere on any device?

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Katy Fransen 5/8/13 8:53 AM
I'm disappointed this feature was disabled. I would think it would be a basic part of having a connected suite of products.  Having to copy & paste feels very clunky and amateurish.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MormonYoYoMan 5/8/13 9:32 AM
Now,  Katy, you're assuming Google is in it for something other than more and more money.  Remember their motto: First do harm to the suckers.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Laurent Pissard 5/9/13 6:15 AM
I used a lot direct access to my main Google Documents from GMail.
I am disappointed.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ryan Scott Causecast 5/15/13 1:13 PM
i used it all the time.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Laurent Pissard 5/16/13 3:32 AM
You are using in GMail, on left, Google Docs Labs ? connected with Drive ?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab J McLaughlin 5/20/13 11:02 AM
When it is coming back with the enhanced features mentioned below (including headers, etc.)?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab J McLaughlin 5/20/13 11:04 AM
I totally agree!!! Please bring it back. I used it practically daily.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 5/27/13 12:16 AM
Try this as a workaround if you use Chrome - the Print All app. It's main purpose is to allow you to "print" the entire contents of any Gmail label as a Drive document, but it also works well to create a fully editable document from an individual message or conversation, complete with headers, which the old Create a Doc lab did not do.

Create a label for messages you want to create a doc for - and name it so it comes at the top of your label list, or is easily accessible close at hand.

Use the shortcut options for the Print All app to put its icon on your Task bar or Desktop

In Gmail open the message you want to create a Doc from, drag the "Create a Doc" label to it and then hit the icon in your taskbar. The document will be created in Drive with a generic Print All filename - to name it yourself to something more suitable, click the link provided and rename it. 

Once the Doc is created, then remove the label from your message by clicking its "x" box. 
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab jfilice 5/30/13 4:29 PM
I found this is a feature in Chrome. Failed to mention that. Then it simply makes a PDF, not a Google Doc.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MormonYoYoMan 5/30/13 5:03 PM
It appears that the full Google Docs has returned, as part of a Google Office type package. It is not free. Nor can you purchase it. We would have to rent it, on evidently an annual basis.

It would be worth it if (a) It was more featured and reliable than before, and (b) If Google hadn't been so arrogant and customer-unfriendly about this all along.

When Google sent someone to the President of the U.S. to beg "Please raise my taxes" they meant "Please raise our taxes so we can pass the increased expense to our suckers - uh, customers."

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 5/30/13 10:50 PM
jfilice -

I was not referring to the Print to PDF function in Chrome. I was referring to the downloadable app called Print All which creates Google Doc files. . 
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 5/30/13 10:55 PM
MormomYoYoman -

Why do you think Docs is now "not free" and has to be rented?  It's as free as it ever was, for all Gmail consumer accounts. It has simply been renamed to Google Drive to reflect its wider abilities to store and share document files and pictures. 

You are getting confused about Google Apps for Business, perhaps, which is the enterprise-class Google offering for larger organisations which attracts an annual charge per-seat.

To use Docs in the same way as you always did, free of charge, just select Drive from your black Google bar. 
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Norma Glennie 6/7/13 10:47 AM
Thank you so much!  This will really help us in saving some of our emails.  
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab tamiloveis 6/18/13 3:52 PM
Thank you very much! I didn't know I could do this. You have saved me some extra steps :)
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mightyhannibal 6/21/13 12:17 PM
Yeah I'm upset myself. I need this tool.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mightyhannibal 6/21/13 12:18 PM
oh snap
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab NobleGuy 6/21/13 12:50 PM
Ridiculous!

Is one of the offered download companies which provide the same paying you to shut the "Create a Docs" Lab???

Put it back!

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Andrew Lyons 6/24/13 8:01 AM
What an absolutely horrible and counter intuitive decision if the goal is to actually compete with other providers.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab David Covell 6/25/13 4:17 AM
PLEASE BRING BACK!!!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Sunen d.o.o.- Andraž Aber / Obnovljiv d.o.o. 6/26/13 6:28 AM
too bad, we also used it a lot....
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Nicole K. 7/9/13 7:25 AM
I wish google would consider advanced gmail users before making changes such as this one. Some of us use gmail as the hub for our professional emails. This recent change, among others has dramatically increased the amount of time it takes me to organize content and respond to queries. It is one thing to simplify the basic features, but quite another to do away with the adaptability that was provided by labs such as this one, which I used regularly.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab WHPromo 7/15/13 1:00 PM
Add me to the growing list of ones who would like to see this feature (CREATE DOCUMENT) available again.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab scalf 7/15/13 1:28 PM
Does anyone believe that Google will listen to users and add this feature back?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab WHPromo 7/15/13 1:45 PM
If you don't try to persuade them, then they most certainly won't. Plus there is no harm in trying.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Jay Gangi 7/19/13 9:58 AM
Wow. Poor decsion by Google for for business users.  This is one less reason for me to use Gmail and one more reason for me to use Outlook as my primary email client.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab WHPromo 7/19/13 10:19 AM
I certainly wouldn't go that far!! ;)
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Ximena Velosa 7/21/13 5:03 PM
why? It is a very useful tool. Please give it us back again, your decision has caused much trouble in my job.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab scalf 7/21/13 5:16 PM
I sure wish they would bring that back. And the sync for blackberry would be nice
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MyTech 7/22/13 1:45 PM
Alternatively use the "Forward All" option in the "More" button, and copy paste the draft message.
Or send it in email to yourself.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab martinhughharvey 7/31/13 8:02 AM
Fantastic and many thanks. Would be nice if it saved in a folder rather than the master folder but can't be greedy ...
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MormonYoYoMan 7/31/13 8:21 AM
Would be even nicer if it would save in an editable format such as doc, docx, odt, or something similar.

Fortunately, Mozilla likes THEIR customers, and is working on a replacement for Google (first, do much harm)  Docs and maybe Drive.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab martinhughharvey 7/31/13 8:38 AM
Sure - but I'm really primarily interested in saving Gmail emails so typically no editing. Evernote typically is a good choice and alternative but wasn't available to my collaborators for this one.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Karl Lembke 8/2/13 10:13 AM
I'm going to miss it.
Ah well.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Sandie Ching 8/8/13 6:51 PM
Please reconsider this decision! It would be nice to have this button back. Thank you!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab mrdkaplan 8/20/13 6:10 PM
This stinks.  This is a primary function required by a work group I'm involved in. This ability to save emails to various team members in one place accessible to all is essential.  BRING IT BACK, P L E A S E.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Trish Pelarenos 8/23/13 3:19 PM
Very sad!!
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MormonYoYoMan 8/23/13 3:54 PM
Google does not care about us, the users. Google is now a part of the Establishment, and we little people are not as important as their riches and their wealthy friends.

We have to cut our losses, and leave Google as completely as possible. I've deleted Chrome, but that's just a start.

Understand: Google doesn't want us. They want us to leave.

Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab pcimring 9/8/13 1:01 AM
I agree - this was a useful tool - please bring it back...
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab MormonYoYoMan 9/8/13 4:51 AM
Folks, again:  Google is not monitoring this thread. Google is not reading our complaints or requests. Google created this thread to isolate all their unhappy customers in one place, the easier to ignore us.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab scalf 9/8/13 5:05 AM
Unfortunately I have to agree with you. It is sad. But as long as we continue to use GMAIL they will just do what they want.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab wdurham 9/8/13 5:26 AM
Create a Doc was retired in February - 8 months ago. It was retired because hardly anyone was actually using it. 

So the likelihood of it being returned to use as a lab after such a long period is about zero. 

However, there are a number of alternatives, one of which is Print All for Gmail for Chrome users.  This is simple to use - label the mail you want to "print", activate the script-driven app, and a Drive document will be created from all the messages that have that label.  Unlike "Create a Doc", this can handle multiple messages, not just one message or conversation at at time.  

If PDF's of your emails are adequate, rather than editable Google Drive documents, you can also use the Save to Google Drive Chrome extension.

Or you can print to any PDF printer driver from any browser, and just upload the file to Drive. 
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab Barbara Kellogg 9/13/13 10:41 AM
This is so unfortunate.  I used this feature all the time.  In fact, it was a main reason why my company switched to google email.  What a total bummer.  
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab martinhughharvey 9/13/13 10:59 AM
+Barbara Kellogg - is the moral of this story don't rely on L:abs?
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab scalf 9/13/13 11:23 AM
No the lesson is don't rely on Google.
Re: Gmail retires Create a Docs Lab martinhughharvey 9/13/13 11:58 AM
Well you've taken it a step further which I empathize with to a degree. Must admit that, without any extended experience, I have issues thinking about Google for business.
More topics »