Categories: Android :

Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus !

Showing 176-362 of 362 messages
Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! jvvpc 12/12/11 1:58 PM
Okay Google, very nice you have updated the people app in ICS to support 256x256. 
The bad side is that when we sync with our contacs from gmail, the pictures will be downscaled and look hideous ! Not good enough ! you guys need to upgrade the pictures in contacts asap !

Thank you :)
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Mr.Mauro 12/12/11 3:35 PM
Yes, the same here. All the photos go to low resolution after a wipe because are store on google server still at the small res used till GB :(

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! w0bbl3r 12/12/11 3:38 PM
Agreed, makes the phonebook look ridiculous.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! AmardeepSingh 12/12/11 3:46 PM
agreed
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Lootes 12/12/11 4:06 PM
+1 for me.  I changed the majority of my contact photos on my phone to higher resolution photos and they remained that way.  However, after wiping my phone clean and setting up my google account, they were all back in the lower resolution.  

I would be happy to give up some of my Gmail storage space for the high resolution picture to sync both ways.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Keith Leung 12/12/11 4:23 PM
+1!! Poor resolution is not acceptable.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! cdrijfhout 12/12/11 4:43 PM
+1 such a shame for such a polished OS!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Hausted 12/12/11 4:51 PM
Agreed, lorte telefon
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Paul 12/12/11 5:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The icons used in Google Contacts used to be a relatively low resolution, more of a thumbnail really. Those are the pictures that the phone pulls from first. There are a couple of ways you can bring higher resolution pictures in for your contacts.

1) Use your own high resolution photo. You can do this by opening a contact in the People app, tapping the menu, selecting Edit, then tapping on the photo icon. You'll be offered a choice to either take a photo right then, or pick a photo you've already got on your phone from the Gallery app.

2) Sync your contacts with Google+. If you and your contacts use Google+, you can launch the Google+ app on Android and set it to sync contacts from the app's settings. If your contact has a high resolution photo for their portrait in Google+ it'll get sync'd to your phone. Note that the initial contact photo sync from Google+ takes a little while to finish.

(Advanced note on #2: I was just playing with this a couple of days ago and noticed that the initial sync with Google+ prioritizes syncing a contact that you happen to be looking at. For example, if you're syncing 200 contacts but go look at your best friend immediately, it'll pull down your friend's photo right then and there before working on the rest of your contacts.)
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! jvvpc 12/12/11 5:14 PM
So your suggesting a non-cloud solution.. Not very Googleish ;)
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! NexusDude 12/12/11 11:14 PM
+Paul, thanks for your suggestions, but that's lacking.

1) 

Since the beginning, we use GMail Contacts to manage our contact list. We have put everything there, name, address, photos, etc.

Then we bought our beloved Android phone and we saw ability to sync the contact list with GMail Contacts, wow that nice! Let's do that.

Contacts were synced, and got all the photos from GMail Contacts which are low resolution ... Hmm, ok, let's replace the photo with high resolution "manually" from the Android phone.

Then what? If we update the contact using GMail Contacts (because it is easier to use PC to manage hundreds of contacts) ... and we synced back to the Android phone. Guess what will happen? Yes, that low resolution photos will replace the high resolution that we put previously!

So, your first suggestion is not good enough. Especially because we must change the photo manually, one-by-one, for all the contacts ... every time we have a new phone ... and we may not use GMail Contacts to manage our contact list...

How does it sound? Not good ... really not good.

2)

Don't get me wrong, I love Google+ and I use it religiously. But, not all my contacts are on Google+, not even 10%. And for sure there are many users like we from the total 200 millions Android users. That simply don't use social network apps that much.

You can say to combine 1) for those who are not using Google+. No! The 1) is a mess that does not work in the first place!

Granted, Google wants to have more users to use Google+ ... But, this is not the right way. Forcing user to sync with Google+ in order to have high resolution contact photos is just a bad idea. This won't work and irritate users.

So, again, your second suggestion is not good enough.

--------------------------

Now, what's the solution then? If you spend some times searching the internet, you should find this issue discussed countless times in many forums since few years back. Why there is no good, simple solution to have "good" contact photos in our Android phone? Why?

The new Android OS, Ice Cream Sandwich added 256x256 pixel resolution for contact photos which is nice. But, it's a shame, for sure, majority for us will hate this low resolution contact photos.

Here are some suggestions that I can think of:

1. Change GMail Contacts to increase the contact photo resolution to at least 256x256 pixel resolution.

And have it converted to 96x96 for GMail thumbnail only, but not for contact syncing.

What's the problem with this? Storage space? You must be kidding! This is very simple and will put all Android users happy. We will not worry using GMail Contacts to manage our contact list and sync it back to our Android phone!

2. Add an option in GMail Contacts to NOT sync contact photo.

This is just a workaround, not an ideal solution. But, this prevent GMail Contacts replacing the high res photo that we put manually per your 1) suggestion.

So, there you go, but don't tell me "This is not Android issue, but GMail Contacts issue". If that's really the case, then please tell us how to escalate this to the GMail Contacts team? 

Please ...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! NexusDude 12/12/11 11:35 PM
When I searched the Google support forum for "low resolution", apparently there were already a lot of complaints submitted:

And guess what? Google has done nothing ...

This issue was raised since 2008 ... 3 years ago!

And it has been closed because ICS has been released that support 256x256.

ICS does not fix this issue. The low resolution will be synced back from Gmail Contacts.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Jabberwocky127 12/13/11 10:01 AM
I am completely behind NexusDude on this one. The solution offered by Paul is insufficient, Google should do something about this.
(unknown) 12/13/11 11:59 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DanBates 12/14/11 3:49 AM
Another vote for this.  Very disappointing that Google hasn't thought through using high resolution photos on ICS.  Have bought a shiny new Galaxy, but the user experience on contacts is very poor.  Apple wouldn't have this sort of low quality thing going on.  Don't rely on Google+ - my parents will NEVER be using it, so you should place your reliance on the ICS UX on it's adoption...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Moosa Moosa 12/14/11 4:35 AM
Yes Google.  Please put an enhancement in for this.  It is a real shame that I can show off my phone, but am embarrassed when anyone actually calls.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Alexnac 12/14/11 11:38 AM
I also agree. We NEED hight resolution for Gmail contacts !
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! hacmac 12/14/11 11:45 AM
On such a powerful phone there is no reason, that it doesn't work, so make it happen google!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! FoxRacR17 12/14/11 1:13 PM
I agree, this needs to be fixed!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Shieldsy 12/15/11 3:30 AM
Agreed Completely.

Must be a very quick job to increase the picture resolution in contacts.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Anthony Gelatka 12/15/11 3:45 AM
Agree, I would like to not have to replace the hundreds of contacts I have.

What happened to contacts.google.com ??? I though this would offer a more featured solution to this.

(Love that circles are now in my mail)
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! VesNL 12/15/11 6:55 AM
Google reps, forward this to the right department please
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Anaitsujm 12/15/11 8:58 AM
Yeah, this is a problem! My contacts look terrible!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Paul 12/15/11 12:14 PM
Higher resolution pictures in google.com/contacts is something that the Contacts Team is considering, and I double-checked that they're aware of this feedback from the public -- they are. Thanks everyone!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Corvidd 12/15/11 12:39 PM
Thanks for taking the comments on board, Paul.

I really hope this is something that gets sorted out. I know Google wants pull everyone onto Google+ through any means, but for the time being, people just lose out.

I'm not an expert on this, but I expect that the work required to change Contacts to supporting higher resolution pictures cannot be much. I mean, there's a whole team working on it, what do they do all day? There's been minimal changes to Contacts in the whole time I've used it.

I'm sure there's be server issues etc dealing with the larger data but that's surely something Google can survive?

I like Android, but it can never truly best the polish of iOS if it continues to have these stupid oversights and mistakes.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! NexusDude 12/16/11 3:12 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback, we are looking forward into it.

Hopefully, the GMail Contacts team will implement it soon. But, I am not holding my breath, because this issue has been raised since 2008. And yet, not even acknowledged officially by them.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Matt Fura 12/16/11 7:53 PM
I'll throw my hat in the ring too.  It's a pain to have to go through and manually add hi-res contact pics on my GNex after syncing my contacts on the phone.  Out of my 100+ contacts, 3 are users on Google+, but none of them have pictures.  

This is a major PITA and needs to be resolved.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! dugwood12 12/17/11 12:21 AM
Please fix this. These horrible quality contact pictures are an eye sore on the beautiful HD display of my galaxy nexus.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! friesoft 12/17/11 2:14 AM
A fix for this is badly needed! It look hideous how it is at the moment...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Aleaimo 12/17/11 3:16 AM
This is a 2008 issue.... please, fix it!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! tonarmshq 12/17/11 5:20 AM
The contact pictures really look like a puke of pixels. Please do something.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! ozcelika 12/17/11 5:40 AM
Come on Google, you should fix this issue, I've thought that this issue will go with the ICS update, but after the sync again we have that terrible pixel photo :( 
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Mahatasin 12/17/11 2:06 PM
Paul, thanks for your reply. But really disappointed at what you said - "Higher resolution pictures in google.com/contacts is something that the Contacts Team is considering". It is no longer a matter of consideration. You pull out your high end android phone (with those incredible displays) in public to answer a call and everyone notices the blurry/pixelated image of your wife, its a big embarrassment. It should've been implemented before releasing ICS. I always believed Google prioritize quality before anything else. So if possible please convey this message to  "Contacts Team" & tell them to stop considering such obvious matters & just implement them.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! beenyweenies 12/17/11 5:34 PM
The Galaxy Nexus screen, combined with ICS, makes this issue front and center. Google better fix it before ICS goes more public or they are going to have some really unhappy users.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! npgauth 12/17/11 6:22 PM
I agree with the general sentiment here... This should really be fixed.

Everyone who feels the same should vote for this on Android's issue tracker. Here are THREE open issues that are about blurry contact photos:

1. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3870
2. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22798
3. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22356
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! ThKlingenberg 12/17/11 10:09 PM
Crappy quality in Google mail/contacts is just part of it. On my Galaxy Nexus EVERYTHING looks like crap: Pics from G+, Facebook, local, all are blurry. 256x256 pixels on a 1280x720 screen? Really Google? Aren't you embarassed when you as employees get a call and people see that blurry mess that kinda looks like your friend? Go outand buy a WP7 phone if you need to see how beautiful it can look..
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! phases 12/17/11 10:16 PM
I'm bothered by this on my Galaxy Nexus. I emailed high resolution photos of my contacts to myself to put on the phone so I could replace the grainy upscaled old ones, as suggested by Paul. 

They look great and lose no quality on the Starred page of the People app. But, then when going into the contact page, they go blurry. Looks like ICS is saving an optimized version of my photo for the tile on stars, but then enlarges that saved picture for the detailed contact view. This is driving me nuts. 

It also loses resolution when displayed when the user is calling me.

Please fix, I really wanted high quality pictures throughout!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! nathanhers 12/18/11 1:00 AM
This is a pretty annoying issue. I agree with the general sentiment. Not everybody I know has Google+, so when they call it is frighteningly bad. Not just a little bit bad, awful bad. Like, quick put this away bad. Please, make the Google Contact pictures better.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Shieldsy 12/18/11 1:05 AM
Minimal effort required to make a significant positive impact to the user experience
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! nathanhers 12/18/11 1:18 AM
Also, its crazy that it only pulls high-resolution images if they are a favorite contact. If you are going to use big pictures like that for when people call you, they all need to be in high-res. Or you need to stop using pictures when people call. 
(unknown) 12/18/11 11:46 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! nyc_derek 12/18/11 9:16 PM
Here here!! These rescaled contact photos look hideous on my beautiful new 300 dollar phone.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! rbd3453 12/19/11 7:10 PM
Agreed, I hate having to explain why my contacts are blurry when showing off ICS to people...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Toe-Knee 12/19/11 10:23 PM
I've been complaining about this since I bought my Nexus S in 2010.  My friends with iPhones have been laughing at me all year because of how bad the photos look.

They're laughing harder now.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Toe-Knee 12/19/11 10:27 PM
Sync with google+?!

I've got a friend who thinks it's cute that his profile photo is of a puppy.  So, his dog picture overwrites my high resolution photo of the guy.  No thanks.  Facebook has the same problem.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! sandholm80 12/19/11 11:33 PM
Please vote for the issues posted earlier instead of adding comments to this thread. In this way, it might get a higher priority.
(unknown) 12/20/11 3:04 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! cyantific 12/20/11 8:51 AM
This seems like a very simple problem to address. Granted the amount of storage required for the upgrade would probably be huge, but that shouldn't be a problem for Google. I'm pretty sure most people would pay a buck or two for the upgrade. This is a major oversight, and an issue that has persisted for years. Google, please hear the outcry. Galaxy Nexus owners everywhere are ashamed, and further ignorance to the issue is a glaring blemish on your image.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! ultimate_ed 12/20/11 10:16 AM
I've got to jump on this bandwagon as well.  Got my Nexus over the weekend and love it.  Definitely don't love how the caller ID pics are showing up.  It was tolerable on my OG Droid screen as the resolution was lower and the image shown took up less of the screen.

However, with ICS, the image is almost full screen and looks terrible.

The left and right hands of Google need to get this sorted out quickly.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! moomex 12/20/11 1:51 PM
This should have a high priority for Google Contacts team.. I hope it gets fixed before 2015!!!!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! LeStagiaire 12/21/11 12:37 AM
We are close to 2012, cameras are taking 12MP (4000*3000) photos when you are talking about 96*96?!! Come on, this story is absolutely unbelievable. Back to the 80s :((
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! MrIncorvia 12/23/11 4:35 PM
Please fix this google
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Faldian 12/24/11 4:59 PM
So, we're still getting dismissive answers on this subject after nearly 3 years of people requesting a resolution to this issue? Perhaps we should all start asking our favourite tech blogs to write articles on this issue. Maybe then someone at Google will wake up and fix this foolishness.

Sorry, but "sync to Facebook or Google Plus" is not a solution. Nor is "manually set the contact photo for every one of your contacts, just to have Gmail overwrite it next time you edit your contact using the Gmail web client." I don't know about you but I'm not interested in using a photo that I have no control over as a contact photo, and I'm most certainly not interested in having to manually set a contact photo for all 200+ of my contacts each time I change phones or have to do a fresh contact sync.

PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR USERS AND FIX THIS ISSUE! PLEASE!!!!!!111
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! nathanhers 12/25/11 12:15 PM
Please fix this Google. It sucks
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! palmcrash 12/25/11 1:41 PM
I've migrated from Palm WebOS (better UI than even ICS, imho) for an even better Google integration, but this is really disappointing.

I don't understand why Google doesn't just store the as-uploaded higher resolution pic in the cloud (just use what's in Picasa Web / Google+, for instance), but display a rescaled low-res version for Gmail & Google Contacts websites.  This way, the cloud will just push the highest resolution picture possible to each device/app/service, which would resize it as necessary (resizing is already built-in to every device/service!).

Also, why do friends' profile pictures have to be public (world-viewable, not even just selectively shared) for them to be available as contact pictures?  Who else is going to be able to see my friends' contact pictures, aside from me on my devices anyway?  I have hundreds of friends' and family's tagged profile pictures that cannot be selected because they're not world-viewable (I expect this from Facebook, not Google...).

As a work-around for these issues, I've just created a Picasa album just for my favorites' profile pics to manually reuse after device wipes or new phones.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! kevinpc 12/25/11 2:19 PM
I just wanted to add, that I also am terribly frustrated by this.  I stand firmly against my iphone friends about the awesome power of android, but this miss-step has gone on far to long for it not to be addressed properly from Google's Android/Gmail team.  This is a very important UI portion of having a phone, and to have 8-bit looking contacts on a 720p beautiful screen with no work around is a shame.   Fix it! 
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! welcometo 12/26/11 6:06 PM
this is ridiculous that google is unable to fix this
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! GriZlore 12/27/11 5:34 AM
Google reps, can we have an answer please?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Sergio526 12/28/11 11:17 AM
Just wanted to add my name to the list of dissatisfied contact viewers. I know the end result will probably be me having to reupload all my contact photos, but as long as it's a one time thing, I'm fine with that.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! exbaitman 12/28/11 1:08 PM
just want to make sure post that I too need this functionality.  Please help me Google.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Jozef Hamar 12/29/11 8:46 AM
Are you serious, Google?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Jaybotics 12/29/11 10:03 PM
Are they ever going to fix this? This is embarrasing.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! starky27 12/30/11 2:21 AM
Could not ever imagine that I got a trouble like this with Google. Very annoying :\
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! sagesolar 12/30/11 3:48 AM
Please please please google contacts team: fix this! It makes a lovely polished OS look terrible!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Amit Tal 12/31/11 10:11 AM
I was an iPhone user for 3 years. 
Recently I moved to the all new Nexus with the new ICS OS. I moved since I needed a better google integration.
I think the contact photo problem lasts for too many years! I had it even on my iPhone!!
whats up with u gays?! it is small problem that u can fix and make your user happy. 
many of the iPhone users moved to iCloud because of this issue.

Pleas FIX it for us!!!!!

by the way, I love my new Nexus!!!! 
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! joshdance 1/2/12 10:01 AM
Unbelievable.  Switching back to iPhone later today because of this kind of lack of attention to detail.  Apple gets it right again.  I love ICS and my nexus, but from a usability standpoint, it is inferior still.  I so wanted to be an android user, but it's this kind of thing that keeps me on my iPhone.  I have tried 3 different android phones so I'm no fanboy, never was, never will.  I simply want my contact pictures to look like they are from the 2000s and not 1995.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! SnapCount 1/3/12 4:45 AM
Please fix this Google! It really does look bad on the Galaxy Nexus which also makes Android look amateurish when the photo of the contact shows up! :( 
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! adamdhaliwal 1/4/12 6:23 AM
Apple have always done the simple things well. Google need to listen EVERYONE who has a android phone. Everyone that I have ever spoken to about this has asked me if I know a way to get High Res photos because a blocky image just doesn't look very good on a 4 inch screen. Is it really that difficult? SORT IT OUT!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Giovanni Stoto 1/4/12 4:48 PM
I could do it 4 free so send me the sourcecode... :-@
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! emc02 1/5/12 3:34 AM
everyone wants high resolution contact pics! please change this! new smartphones have nearly FullHD resolution and the contact pics are 96x96px!!! OMG, thats... i've no words for that!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! R4DU 1/6/12 3:31 PM
fix please! 96x96 scaled to 256x256 is uglyyyy
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! cjav 1/10/12 10:28 AM
Just adding my name to the list of user wanting a good solution for this issue.

Also a +1 for +NexusDude 1st solution:
"1. Change GMail Contacts to increase the contact photo resolution to at least 256x256 pixel resolution."
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! McAllister 1/12/12 10:13 PM
+1
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! osulls 1/14/12 12:02 AM
This IS ridiculous, I currently have a Transformer Prime now running ICS and I've gotta say that for such a beautiful OS and even the People app revision, this lack of cohesive growth is a huge oversight and letdown, it's 2012 and time to make this fix a New Year's resolution. I had/have every intention of upgrading to a Galaxy Nexus later this year when it makes it's way to Sprint, but not if such a simple and ugly detractor remains. I love Google and I love Android, but such little things can really end up being huge problems aesthetically.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! c201 1/14/12 4:25 AM
This lack of polish is exactly the reason why people only 'like' android phones, but don't 'love' them like people do with iPhones.  It seems like a fairly simple and reasonable fix for a problematic UI issue; refusing to implement it just shows a lack of respect for their customers.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! mirkoslatarow 1/15/12 4:23 AM
Thats the reason why i will not maintain my google apps account. I dont know why that is such a problem for google. It cant be the the storage space, they are saving hundrets of youtube videos in different resolutions. I'm wondering what we have to do to get this problem solved. Do we have to dance naked through their bureaus?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! csamps 1/15/12 9:28 PM
I have been frustrated by this for a couple years too, can't believe Google can't fix such a simple problem!! At least disable two-way sync for the contact photo as suggested by several people, although a bandaid solution it works for now with NO impact on Google, how hard is that. The lack of official response from Google for such an outspoken issue is pathetic.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! boaweee 1/16/12 11:19 PM
I have a Sony Xperia Arc. Sony just phased out its sync service, which by the way let you have beautiful full-screen pics.

I finally got time to set up Google Sync, and edit all my contacts properly and all.

And then BAM, all my pictures have gone to shit in a tiny box in the corner.

Can't seem to find a quick fix, so I decide to go online and look it up.

I find out there's nothing I can do about it, which already sucks. But then I see this is a 3-year old issue that hasn't even been publicly adressed by Google.

Where is that "report abuse" button when you truly need it....
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Sniper435 1/17/12 1:56 AM
I too would love to see higher resolution photos being used in google contacts/gmail, at least the same resolution as is available for android phones at the moment (256x256) if not higher,
this has been requested for such a long time without any response from google, a common problem with many of their products.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! payaxy 1/17/12 6:25 AM

I just tried experimental CM9 build (with Android 4.0) on my Galaxy SII, and I was shocked by ugly look of new contacts application. Design is just fine, but all my favorite contacts photos are displayed bigger then in previous versions of Android, showing exactly how low resolution these are. Google, it's time to fix this issue!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! About2GoBack2Apple 1/18/12 7:02 AM
Just wanted to jump in line and voice my absolute displeasure. I had an Iphone 3g and held on to it until last week because I have been waiting for the Galaxy Nexus and ICS. Was so excited to come over to Android because I had been waiting for about a year and a half. Wow, this looks absolutely terrible. Please fix before I head back to Apple. I don't want to, but you are really forcing my hand. This is a gross oversight.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! MrIncorvia 1/18/12 3:32 PM
Is there any update on this issue?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! SuperHuman 1/19/12 2:44 PM
I also submitted a post regarding same issue

Common Google Make this change, accept high resolution pictures in Google contacts
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! emc02 1/22/12 11:59 PM
how difficult can that be, to change the resolution from 96x96px to 512x512px (maybe there will be higher resolutions some day ;)
please google, take your best coders and work hard on that issue, otherwise we can go back to our old Nokia phones with 96x96px display resolution...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Alexander N 1/24/12 12:09 PM
Hi there.

We should all do this :

Suggest a feature for Gmail

The link: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=suggestions.cs&bucket=16933&issue=116860

With a bit of luck we may get the FULL HD contact pictures for our android devices.

Have a great day.

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Alexander N 1/24/12 12:10 PM
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! betonAtCementownia 1/29/12 3:25 AM
Basically, it should be fixed on a google contacts level - I am (and I suppose many others are) willing to sacrifice my gmail space and use higher res photos for contacts.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! mamm0th 1/30/12 11:07 AM
I cannot believe Google release ICS without adding the high resolution feature to Google Contacts.  Isn't it embarrassing for Google, contacts look damn ugly with incoming calls!
We've been waiting since 2008 for this, I really thought with ICS they will really going to make the change ... I guess I was dreaming.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DizzyThermal 1/31/12 1:42 PM
I had contacted Vic Gundotra on Google+ and asked him about this issue and he agreed and tried to follow up with others from Google, then again this was over a month ago.  If you're interested in adding to the post or viewing the post, click the link below:

Either this is an impossible issue for Google or they have just neglected it beyond belief without giving the community any sort of feedback..

Very disappointing..
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Evergreen4 2/12/12 4:14 AM
Wow, Google team... how could you possibly IGNORE such a reasonable request like that... What is the point of buying an Android smarthpohe with EXTRA HIGH RESOLUTION screen if you have the contact picture is shown with SO BAD resolution and quality... is this a joke?... c'mon guys, tons of users are expecting an update on this request... could you at least let us know if there is an ETA for this?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Oumar 2/14/12 9:05 AM
The most surprising thing is google employees certainly has a Galaxy Nexus (Eric Schmidt, Matias Duarte, ...)
So why this problem still not fixed ?? This is unbelievable.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! AJKahn 2/14/12 12:28 PM
Before flashing ICS I never thought that it could be an issue. However the bloated contact pics just make the user experience on my phone look ridiculous. I hope they fix it soon, because this is a blot on an otherwise perfect picture.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! sethoscope 2/14/12 5:04 PM
Post a comment on the above G+ thread. Vic and others responded and it looks like they are working on it, but the more the better.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Bringonblink 2/17/12 1:27 AM
Looked at the above thread, Punit Soni (the lead project manager) claims they are fixxing it! Said so 2 days ago! Awesome!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Giovanni Stoto 2/17/12 1:36 AM
To be honest, 1 month ago i set some high res pics on my galaxy nexus and although I've been updating contacts infromation (even forcing updates to single contacts by modifying some fields) on the phone I keep on having the high res pics
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! ThKlingenberg 2/17/12 2:33 AM
256x256 px isn't high res..
It's not even close!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Giovanni Stoto 2/17/12 2:42 AM
true but...

Honeycomb was supporting 96x97
ICS supports 256x256

the problem here is that using a 256x256 contact pic in ICS, after a sync with google contacts online, it will look pixelated because the sync would replace on the phone the 256x256 pic (what i call high res) with a 96x96 pic

what i am saying is that this does not happen to me anylonger
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Bringonblink 2/17/12 2:50 AM
You call 256 high res 0.o

If that works for you then that's great, but for some of us it's just not good enough
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! ThKlingenberg 2/17/12 2:51 AM
Great, parhaps Google finally did something, it's about time, we've waited over 2 years..
256x256 still looks like shit on modern cellphones though. It's embarrasing to answer calls with people around. They need to fix this properly, with support for proper resolutions for todays screens. We're talking at least 720x720 here.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Giovanni Stoto 2/17/12 3:00 AM
I am calling it high res compared to low res cos it's shorter than using 256x256 or 96x96

I agree that 256x256 is still too low but always better than 96x96

anyway, again, the purpose of this thread was to complain about the fact that after a sync 256x256 pics on the phone are converted to 96x96, so we are asking google to upgrade the online contacts pics at least to 96x96

in any case, during the last month my phone is keeping the high res (256x256) pics even after sync

of course if you want real high res pics (720x720) google has to update both online contacts AND ICS
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Moav 2/18/12 2:57 AM
This is embarrassing... please fix this issue Google!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! vulpine 2/18/12 9:17 PM
I think this issue has been adressed atlast. I tried adding high resolution photos to few contacts from ICS 4.0.3  phone. After the sync, the contact photos got resized to 256*256 and not 96*96. Photos now look much better. But not any where as clear as we want them to be. Google, why didn't you consider 720*720 format? atleast 480*480 would have been better as most of the android phones out there have 800*480 resolution.

PS: I have tried doing same from 2.1 phone but fail! photos changed to 96*96!!! So I guess its changed only for ICS latest versions.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! keatlck 2/18/12 11:22 PM
I also agree. We NEED hight resolution for Gmail contacts !
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! nathanhers 2/19/12 1:13 AM
yulpine.. i don't think this issue has been fixed yet. I just tried adding a picture to my Gmail contacts and it came out incredibly pixelated. Still waiting Google...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DavidClegg 2/21/12 9:45 AM
It's not resolved for ICS, never has been.

1) Use a high res photo assigned to a contact on your ICS phone
The image is 'adjusted' slightly and stored inside your contact at 256x256 mediocre jpg compression, but it's still 'ok'. This is Googles FIRST mistake (I'll come back to that later)

2) Sync with Google.
The image will appear in the cloud at 96x96 resolution thanks to Google's cloud 'solution' (this is Google's second mistake, which I will come back to later)

3) Modify some aspect of the contact (say a phone number) using the Cloud interface (web)
You'll notice that your phone is updated with the modified phone number but the image KEEPS it's 256x256 resolution (good!).

4) Wipe your phone, or sync to a new device
You'll notice that Google ONLY has a 96x96 image in the cloud, and therefore sends this image to your new / wiped handset and your 256x256 hard work is lost.

Solution:

1) When an image is assigned to a contact in the cloud:
    a) The cloud KEEPS the original image stored (within acceptable limits, let's say max 100K file)
    b) When synced, the cloud generates an 'on the fly' (or uses a pre-cached) thumbnail appropriate to the current handset

2) When an image is assigned to a contact in the handset:
   a) The handset KEEPS the original image stored (within acceptable limits, let's say max 100K file)
   b) The handset generates an 'on the fly' (or uses a pre-cached) thumbnail appropriate to the current handset
   c) When first synced, the handset supplies the ORIGINAL image to the cloud

3) When Sync occurs
   a) IF the handset supplies a high res photo (via marking a contact as 'dirty / requiring sync', then the cloud accepts the high res image and stores it
   b) The handset then then loses the original image from its store (since the Cloud now has it saved!)

The basic principle here is that the Cloud maintains the 'original' hi res image for reference, but only actually uses a resolution appropriate for the device.
Devices (conversely) must keep the 'tie' to the original image until first sync is complete (for that contact), after which, it can drop the tie, because the image has been sent to the Cloud.

This solution becomes resolution independent (up to the max resolution or file size restrictions imposed by Google on the 'original' image).

Now let's do some loose math:

WORST CASE SYNC SCENARIO:
1000 contacts * 100K image each = 100M worst case IF all 1000 images where assigned at the handset!
The mostly likely case is that contacts are added over a period of time, in which case the 100M would be spread over that period of time.
If the contact photos were assigned via the Cloud directly, then no such transfer would ever be necessary.

WORST CASE SYNC AFTER WIPE:
1000 contacts * 30K image (remember, the image will be a thumb if pushed from the Cloud) = 30M

Even if 30M were deemed unacceptable, the Cloud is free to adopt a policy of lowering the resolution, or informing the user of the large transfer etc. But the original image is still never lost!

THAT is what Google need to implement.

Now let's turn to why they haven't?

a) Google may have some spaghetti code at their end that is making this a problem to 'fix'. Every time they take a look at it, they realise it's a mess and can't face fixing it.

b) Google may have looked at the possible storage implications if millions of Android users (or just Cloud users) assign a hi-res photo to every contact they have (however unlikely it may seem, they have to cater for that scenario).
I struggle to believe Google don't have capacity to do this - but I CAN believe they think the potential cost implication is too high (however 'minimal' we think it is)

c) Whilst handset manufacturers STICK to just using thumbnails for contact images, the problem stays away (buried), but the moment they try to implement full / large screen caller ID etc, the thumbnail problem shows up..... OK so far - blame the manufacturers for misusing thumbnails.

d) in ICS Google themselves have introduced a UI that uses larger contact images derived from the thumbnails.
Google themselves have met with the same issue as the rest of the world!

I do hope Google see the futility in their current implementation. If not today, then tomorrow it will surface again. With each new generation of handset and UI, the issue becomes greater, and when a system is flawed, it's usually better to correct the flaw sooner rather than later.

3 years this problem's been around. Do the decent thing Google and actually address it?

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DavidClegg 2/21/12 10:32 AM
Oh, one final suggestion

If all of the above is still too much trouble for Google, then at least introduce a 'photo url' - that way, they hi res images can be hosted elsewhere and clients can either cache a derived thumb from that URL, or actually retrieve from it each time (if they really wanted to)

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Sternreisender 2/27/12 6:30 PM
Yeah, Google really needs to fix this. Incredibly stupid oversight.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! cdman19800 2/28/12 5:31 AM
What kind of programmers are there working with google if they can't even fix this problem that's so anoying for so many people.
Did you ever see an iphone ring, there contact pic looks crispy clean...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Paul 2/28/12 10:53 AM
Thanks again for the feedback everyone. We are working on improving this, as Punit Soni mentioned on this Google+ thread:

In the meantime, please refer to the tips posted by myself and others on this thread for managing you contact photos.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! jb15613 3/5/12 9:30 PM
Why are we not able to store these photos on our phones and the people app can pull them in original condition? You gave me 32 gigs! I got five gigs of drop box space, Box just had a deal for Android users, cameras, game consoles, I can pull hi-res pics out my whazoo...........but not my GNex People app.......:-(
Booooooooo!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Alina1992 3/25/12 12:39 PM
Whre the fix for this SHEESH its so dumb. can you please hurry up on a fix for this google. I flash Roms and wipe here i dont want to keep fixing the ugly pix
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! 2easy 4/1/12 1:19 AM
It's a shame.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Francois Aleta 4/2/12 3:52 AM
I don't know what ICS is and I don't want to. I use http://google.com/contacts to manage my address book and I think it's just a shame that contact photos look all pixelized on a beautiful Galaxy nexus.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! aortiz 4/3/12 12:26 AM
Also would be nice to have this on the iPhone. Still waiting to hear back from Google after years of the same! Please don't make me switch to iCloud.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! rogeriorc 4/5/12 7:08 PM
We need this! Please fix it!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Klugschwätzer 4/11/12 2:43 PM
If you do not want to use ICS anymore I can give you my address so you can send me your phone. Because ICS is the Android version running on your Galaxy Nexus. ;-)
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! nelsonj3 4/14/12 11:37 PM
I did the local on phone solution and after a few hours it downgraded the photo to lower quality.

I understand software development isn't as easy as some think, but please address this issue.

I second that Google+ syncing isn't an ideal option for me.

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! e2zippo 4/19/12 4:43 AM
This is getting ridicioulus!

I've solved the problem with the google contacts syncing low res pictures by using certain 3:d party apps.

But the problem is that 256x256 is not enough, it still looks blurry on ICS.

If you want to have a look on how it should be done just take a look at this application!!

http://goo.gl/cD9HQ

I mean, we're not using 256x256 screens now are we?

Is this beeing looked at?

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Matthew9559 4/22/12 3:47 PM
Please fix this ASAP. I can understand that it may take time for something like this to be resolved but it's been 5 months...

The posted solutions are not enough. Manually update every contact, have to download each picture, then you get a new phone or reformat and it pulls from old images. Horrible solution.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! will-mc 4/28/12 4:06 PM
ICS users rapidly increasing as it rolls out over networks.

Needs sorting ASAP,

Can we have a status update please?

Hi-Res gmail contact photos are necessary

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! josdegroot 5/1/12 5:26 AM
Google... We're living in 2012.Please update the maximum resolution of the contact images, so their also appear high resolution photo's on my iPhone. Thinking of moving all my contacts to icloud because here you can store High resolution contact images.

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Jagogc 5/1/12 7:33 PM
2 months since your last response + Paul. Seriously, not even a hint of the situation for this problem.

You can take all the time you need to get something, but keep up us to date about the progress for that at least we do not feel as stupid waiting..

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! marras 5/4/12 8:26 AM
Yeah, but what happens if we don't want the google+ image of our contact? A lot of  people have a random image on google+ which simply liked. I prefer to have my own made photo of his face for my contacts. And I really don't want to have to put every photo of every contact again ONE BY ONE!! it's simply ridiculous!

Not only this, it's an issue with the most used application of the phone, thus the most visible and annoying, the phone itself!

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! BehelitOutlaw 5/5/12 6:02 AM
On iPhone you got a nice high res picture of your caller. On Android you'r wondering what pixel is calling you
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! josdegroot 5/7/12 2:07 AM
Not if your using google to sync with your contacts. Then you also see only a small picture on you're call screen.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! artkrz 5/7/12 4:38 AM
Please fix it google :)
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! hungheo 5/8/12 7:02 AM
thx.But I can't use Google+ in my country,How I can solve this problem?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Cholera 5/9/12 1:18 AM
Perhaps they cannot find where they declared the size of the pictures in their source code ;)
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! scooteriuly 5/13/12 3:17 AM
seems like i have to convince my grandma to use Google+, she has 80 years, doesn't know how to use a mobile phone but she MUST use Google+, for me to have an hi res photo of her in my contact list.

if all my friends, Google+ or Facebook put their kids photos as "profile photo" my phone will look like an pedophile's phone.

1 word: SHAME !!!

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Za5vod 5/14/12 7:15 PM
<rant>

I just started using an Android phone and while the capabilities of Android are amazing, Google has *NO* concept of how to do UI design.  This shows up not with pixelated contact pictures but with several aspects of the OS/Apps as well.  IOS isn't as powerful as Android, but it *looks* good.  Sure, you want to be different than Apple.  That's GREAT, but you can be different AND look good at the same time.  Phones and tablets are visual devices, it's 2012, not 1998.  We have lots of RAM, lots of CPU.  We're not using Palm devices from the mid 90's.  

Telling people to sync their contacts to Google+ is just a blatant attempt to get more people to use Google+.  That's not an option for all of my contacts, especially in a corporate environment.  Or if you want to sync contact from Exchange.

It's sad, but a lot of what I see in  Android reminds me of what I would expect from beta programs or from people trying to do a proof-of-concept.  Get it working, then forget about it.  Corporate ADD.

You guys need to stop trying to push ads so much and start focusing on making things look good for a while.

</rant>

also, pet peeve and completely off this topic, why does it take three (3) steps to power off the phone:  hold the power button;  choose power off; then confirm!

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! EverGreen13 5/16/12 5:44 AM
Please fix it. Contacts looks ridiculous on SGS2
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Zinfan 5/16/12 7:17 AM
How long u guys gonna take? its simple things to fix.. it look really blur all pics
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Zinfan 5/16/12 7:21 AM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jgarrison.hdcontacts&reviewId=17884654553570275695

this app will help u guys...

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! orzepka 5/20/12 9:29 AM
yes, but what about iphone users ?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! cipi055994 5/22/12 9:04 AM
I second that. And another thing: please make use of more swipe gestures like samsung has
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Fozzy-UK 5/30/12 4:28 PM
Again thanks Paul for the suggestions but there is another issue with relying on social networking to provide pictures.  Many people on social networks set profile pictures that are of something other than the person owning the profile.  They also tend to change their profile pictures from time to time.

What I want to appear as a icon when browsing through the contacts and on the screen when a call arrives is a stable picture of the person concerned, preferable of that persons face.  The pictures in GMail contacts do a better job of that than importing pictures from social network profiles but current suffer from the resolution problem.

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! BruceO 5/31/12 10:01 AM
This has been a major issue for years and google has been unresponsive. It is typical of google. Good ideas, terrible execution and follow up. Google is basically like microsoft was for years and arguably still is... Too many resources, lack of focus and creativity, just a mess.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Klugschwätzer 5/31/12 11:01 AM
The longer we wait, the more I think that ICS will not see an update, but we will have to wait for Jelly Bean. My guess is that they will fix that with a new version of Android and accompanying apps.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! YDD 6/12/12 2:05 AM
+1   when calling ,the image is terrible. please fix this
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Dougie Doug 6/14/12 8:32 AM
Any eta on when this will get updated, google?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Matthew9559 6/14/12 9:43 AM
I think at this point (6 months later) we can assume that they really don't care about fixing this issue. Imagine that...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Klugschwätzer 6/14/12 9:56 AM
I really believe that the issue will be fixed in Jelly Bean which is supposed to be quite around the corner. I guess this is why we don't receive any news from the dev team. I hope that we will know more in about two weeks time.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! rogeriorc 6/14/12 10:11 AM
This isue is not about android, galaxy nexus, ice cream or jelly beans...
It's about Google Contacts picture poor resolution.
Increase it's resolution, for god's sake!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Klugschwätzer 6/14/12 12:10 PM
In case you haven't noticed: the contact pictures are used not only by Google Contacts as part of Gmail, but also by the Peoples App which has in the past been distributed as a part of Android. So I think it quite likely that a new version of Android will be part of the solution.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! rogeriorc 6/14/12 12:42 PM
If you set a high definition picture in the People App, you contact calling picture will be high definition. The problem is that hd picture will only be showed in that device. Yours others devices will be synced with a shit resolution picture version of that.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Nameless337 6/15/12 7:13 AM
Bump for a fix from an exasperated iPhone user.  This isn't just an Android problem.  It's silly that the resolution is limited so severely in google contacts.  It's annoying enough on my actual contacts page even without all the added mobile issues.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! starnostar 6/15/12 12:51 PM
They said a fix was coming in january 2012....the nexus is google's FLAGSHIP DEVICE, I guess google doesn't really give a crap if contacts look laughably bad on it. Maybe you could support cardDAV naively as a syncing account so I can just put my contacts on my own server and not deal with this crap.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! ashokvm 6/27/12 2:11 PM
Its high time that you guys implement this feature.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! ultimate_ed 6/27/12 8:39 PM
Still been waiting since December when I got my Galaxy Nexus.  Lots of threads around the web related to this issue, still no action.

Do we need to bring out the pitchforks?

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! bravojackielee 6/28/12 4:52 AM
Is this problem solved with Jelly Bean? Otherwise, we are crazy about it.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Klugschwätzer 6/28/12 5:33 AM
I don't think so. Wasn't mentioned anyway.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! lucas3d 6/29/12 12:03 AM
I just try with my Galaxy Nexus on Jelly Beam.
Problem style the same :-(

I can update a hight resolution picture 720x720 on my Android phone but not in Gmail
Gmail convert high resolution picture to 96x96 pixels :-(

Only think, sync don't look remove HD pictures in the phone.
I will wait to upload on Gmail HD picture before replacing all my contact's picture !

Please Google fix it !!!

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DeathFroG 6/29/12 12:28 AM
@Paul: do you any news from development unit?
Because you said the 28th Februrary "We are working on improving this" and since you didn't give any news, and the other thread has closed.

Please fix !

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! bravojackielee 6/30/12 4:12 AM
Still no answer, we need a developer who might have flashed the leaked rom of Jelly Bean to confirm this long-unsolved problem.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! exzacklyright 6/30/12 10:17 PM
720x720 in jelly bean and still crappy gmail pictures :[
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! a3Dman 7/1/12 10:01 AM
Seriously, Is it that hard to fix this problem?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Jiia 7/1/12 2:57 PM
This is not true. You can add high resolution pictures to your People app and it DOES sync them to your Google account. The high resolution pictures are not shown in Gmail contacts but when you sync them to your phone after reinstall they are still high resolution.

The only problem is that Google syncs the high resolution 720x720 pictures back in lower JPEG quality. It's a noticeable difference but not as big of a deal as 96x96 pictures.

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! jcdst 7/2/12 6:30 AM
I like Android, but it can never truly beat the polish of iOS if it continues to have these stupid oversights and mistakes.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Pastouche 7/12/12 3:48 AM
"is something that the Contacts Team is considering"
You're kiding? Just considering.
We have 4.7" phones, 40" TVs since a while now and they are just thinking about having high res contact picture?

HD is everywhere but Google's contacts remain in low res, it is why people choose the Iphone, they don't do those stupid choices on such important think for a phone: CONTACT. It is fine to go onlline and do a lot of stuff but please don't forget Android is a phone OS.

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DDCarvalho 7/14/12 8:45 AM
http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

Does that mean it is fixed?

People

The People app is more buttery with smoother animations and improved search performance.
The People app now retrieves high res photos automatically for Google contacts with public Google+ profiles and displays higher res photos (720x720) on certain devices.
High res photos set on Google accounts will be backed up and synced across devices.

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! 2easy 7/14/12 1:50 PM
It seems ! Where are JB users ? Confirm us that please!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DizzyThermal 7/14/12 5:09 PM
Hey guys, please view this post, +1 it, share it, comment on it, we're going to get this heard.. https://plus.google.com/109941711245243963357/posts/PwRx3SHNbjR
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DizzyThermal 7/14/12 5:09 PM
No, it is not fixed.. This is still a huge issue!

https://plus.google.com/109941711245243963357/posts/PwRx3SHNbjR

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! oxplot 7/23/12 6:07 PM
Until Google takes care of this, give this a try: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oxplot.contactphotosync
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Wanakamuraka 7/28/12 7:40 AM
Agree it very important issue!
To be honest ID picture should be minimum 512x512  maximum should  be 1920x1920 as Android want to be know as full HD compatible!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! rschaefer.kassel 7/30/12 9:21 PM
So many years are gone by. Since the 1st devices with better reolutions we posted resolution problems. In the contact app the pic looks extremely horrible. 256 pixel is also low, because devices have resolutions between 400 and 720 pix. Especially the Google Nexus....there has to be a new solution, no force to use Google+ - i hate social networking and to put always more data into the web.
I use the method, to have a contact picture folder on my card and use these pics. But in the app it would be modern to have a really better resolution, depending on the abilities of modern devices.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! JMJ80 8/6/12 2:02 AM
Still no resolution. Is change to made very difficult for google ? Why google is not going towards their customers ?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! havkacik 8/8/12 2:15 PM
Has the problem been resolved already?
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! JMJ80 8/8/12 10:57 PM
No, there is no resolution yet. Workaround is Contact Photo sync app.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! justin4480 9/2/12 3:11 PM
Very annoying to have to use bolt on apps to manage this.  You can understand that data cost for google would be pretty massive with every gmail account user may have 100+ medium/high res images, but with the new influx of android tablets and mobile full screen call images you'd think it's kind of a key requirement these days.  Giving the ability to users to store on Google Drive would be a good push for them on their cloud solution.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! .wojtek 9/7/12 3:33 AM
On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:53:58 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
> Thanks again for the feedback everyone. We are working on improving this, as Punit Soni mentioned on this Google+ thread:
> https://plus.google.com/109941711245243963357/posts/YBMTuysqm3B
>
>
>
> In the meantime, please refer to the tips posted by myself and others on this thread for managing you contact photos.

@Paul

Half year later, another version of andorid and the issue is still there. what did you mean when you said 'meantime'?! This issue is very annoying!

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Klugschwätzer 9/7/12 3:46 AM
Yes. That would be really interesting.

I recently bought a Nexus 7 and on a 7-inch display it is hard to recognize this blurry thing as a face, let alone enjoy the HD-display.

Please tell us that there are really, really good reasons for not fixing this!

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! osulls 9/9/12 9:40 PM
There aren't any particularly good reasons for this, Google just outright refuses to do a damn thing about it. For a company that really wants to make waves in the phone and tablet OS market they let all kinds of obvious and fundamental issues persist from update to update. With all the effort they've been putting into unifying their product lines and services you think they could get their Android and Gmail/Contact teams working together to get this fixed in a week.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! swiftjonathan 9/17/12 1:50 AM
People, please go to the following link and add a feature suggestion:
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=suggestions.cs

- Scroll to bottom
- Select "Contact and chat"
- Then "Contact manager"
- Then "Editing contacts"
- Paste in the following:

Please allow 720 x 720px images to be saved for contact images in Gmail.
Currently, the image is compressed to 96 x 96px.

For Android 4.0+ users (Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean), the image is stretched and becomes extremely pixelated.

Here is an example:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7au8vhXjI1rbx9y1o1_1280.png

Here are some petitions:
https://plus.google.com/109941711245243963357/posts/PwRx3SHNbjR
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/02/jelly-bean-bumps-contact-photos-to-hi-res-720x720-but-google-sync-continues-to-clobber-it-with-low-res-mush/

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! eRadicant 9/19/12 2:06 AM
This needs to be updated...
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Evergreen4 9/29/12 5:28 PM
This is amazing... Could someone from Google team let us know if this PROBLEM is going to be fix or not in the SHORT TERM??
Is Google aware that most of the phones running Android as OS have 4-5" screens?
Is this really so difficult to fix?

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! rogeriorc 10/10/12 4:29 PM
Finally!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/10/hallelujah-google-finally-fixes-high-resolution-contact-sync-updates-web-contact-sync-with-brand-new-ui/

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! YangLam 10/10/12 6:36 PM
When will Contacts Team improve contact picture? We are waiting for so long!!!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DeathFroG 10/11/12 2:00 AM
Finally it works !!!
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Daniel Leteyski 10/17/12 4:57 AM
I tried to sync my contacts again with large contact pics, but the result was 96x96 pixels. I found  some workaround wich work good. In google play there is "Contact Photo Sync" application. It add "sync contact photos" in google account sync settings. When you press "sync contact photos" it creates in your google picasa, new album with all your hi-res contact pics.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! DeathFroG 10/17/12 5:18 AM
It works great for me...

On my Galaxy Nexus with JB, changing contact pictures on phone or online both works.
On the phone, open the google contact app, open a contact with newly synced high res picture. The picture is low res at the first time, but becomes high res after a couple of seconds...

Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Pushka Gib'en 11/16/12 12:56 AM
yesu O_______O
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Dissis 12/4/12 4:45 AM
So what? Contacts team is aware of this nonsense for more than 3 years now. NOTHING is changing, we are seeing no feedback from google. Its like you guys are thinking this is not an issue. It is, and its a big one. But the bigger issue is google's attitude about such problems.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! Klugschwätzer 12/4/12 11:33 PM
Check again. Problem has been solved.
Re: Contact pictures needs higger resolution for ICS and Galaxy Nexus ! m.fabach 1/2/13 8:23 AM
Can confirm that this works on regular Google Accounts (@gmail.com) but NOT on Google Apps Accounts (http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/)

I have both, a Google Apps Account (primary) where the image is still LOW-RES. I have tested in on my standard Google Account (@gmail.com), and the contact images are HI-RES.

So, please google - please let us Google Apps users not down!
(unknown) 1/2/13 8:24 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 1/2/13 8:24 AM <This message has been deleted.>