Global Cloud Map

Showing 21-83 of 83 messages
Global Cloud Map radeon 7/12/05 2:00 AM
Hi!

I have created an image overlay with a near-realtime global cloud map.
The image came from the xplanet project. It will be updated every 3-4 hours.
You actually can see the dying hurricane Dennis.

Greets!
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 7/12/05 2:16 AM
You may change the opacity of the cloudmap for better viewing.
Sorry for the breakline over the pacific. I will try to correct this.

I love Google Earth!
Re: Global Cloud Map TheRealMcCoy 7/12/05 3:40 AM
This is a real cool dynamic data layer

Thanks alot

Please turn on Community Layers and search the forum BEFORE posting a placemark to avoid posting duplicate placemarks wink

All placemarks for Concorde are HERE! please check this thread BEFORE adding a placemark about this wonderfull plane wink

All placemarks for Tu-144 are HERE! please check this thread BEFORE adding a placemark about this wonderfull plane wink
Re: Global Cloud Map IckyChris 7/12/05 4:20 AM
Holy Koresh!
A hurricane over Illinois.

Is there any way to make the overlay an alpha channel, so that the black becomes transparent?
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 7/12/05 5:10 AM
i had already tried it with the .png format but it wont work with an alpha channel. You only can change the opacity in the overlay options.
I am new to google earth, maybe an experienced user knows a way to do this.
Re: Global Cloud Map IckyChris 7/12/05 6:08 AM
I hope so. I took a picture with and without the clouds and put them together in Photoshop - with the clouds alphad. It looks really nice. Especially with a drop shadow added, like you sometimes see on weather channels. Let's hope somebody here can write an algorithm to do this.

?? Will the map automatically update once you've downloaded it, or do you have to download a new one?
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 7/12/05 6:49 AM
It will update automatically every 3 hours. The source url of the picture is http://xplanet.dyndns.org/clouds/clouds_2048.jpg.
Re: Global Cloud Map IckyChris 7/12/05 7:44 AM
Excellent.
I've noticed tht the overlay is slightly off. About 70 miles west and a little bit North. Can you do anything about that?
Re: Global Cloud Map Whereitsat 7/12/05 11:14 AM
Oh yes. Very nice.

Thank you!
Re: Global Cloud Map equitus 7/12/05 1:16 PM
Way cool. I tried to make on like this a couple of days ago but couldn't find a map in the necessary cylindrical projection.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've found the refresh for this overlay gets flipped from "Periodically" to "Once." I've had similar problems with the national radar composite. I don't know how to fix it (it might be just on my PC), and Support has no idea either.

Too bad there aren't any time-stamps on the image. The one I'm looking at shows a big discrepancy, for example, in the midwest where the radar is showing some intense thunderstorms. I could be that the satellite image is approaching it's 3hour age limit, but I'm not sure it's not more out of date than that.
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 7/12/05 1:23 PM
Yes, you are right! I dont see this error of Time-Based-Refresh, thanks for your attention! Change the View-Based-Refresh to "On Request" then it will work!
Re: Global Cloud Map equitus 7/12/05 1:35 PM
I've been cautious of using view-based refresh because it requires realigning the image. That is, when I edit the refresh setting, the image shrinks dramatically. I'm just lazy...

Anyway, this attachment has been realigned and has that new setting.
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 7/12/05 1:47 PM
Thank you for your correction!!! Nice! We should work together ;-)
Re: Global Cloud Map Anonymous 7/12/05 5:43 PM
Quote:

That's really great Radeon! Really cool
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 7/13/05 1:05 AM
Near barbados, you can see the next upcoming hurricane "Emily". The hurricane will follow the hurricane "Dennis".
Re: Global Cloud Map Brutha 7/13/05 5:22 AM
I posted this before.. but we shouldn't all use the same mirror or it will be closed very soon... Happened before Maybe someone with webspace could make a script that picks a random mirror
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 7/13/05 10:43 AM
You are right butha. The server traffic fom this source will be very high.
Sorry, but i havent seen your posting before. I will start my own website with
own hires cloud pictures soon. I will choose a provider with unlimited traffic of course, then with have not to think about that.

Thank you for your posting butha!
Re: Global Cloud Map TequilaK1 7/14/05 2:27 PM
This is terrific!! I am a new Google Earth user. I LOVE IT!!
Re: Global Cloud Map petit 7/14/05 4:33 PM
Really beautiful !

I just found this Earth today, and was amazed at the beauty and the possibilities.
The Cloud Map is one and a beautiful one.
Thanks!
in lieu of a time stamp equitus 7/14/05 4:53 PM
Click on this link and look at the time and date for the file clouds_2048.jpg. The site is a German University, so I'm guessing the time difference from EDT is -6 hrs.

Or if you want to know the current time in Bremen, click here.
Re: Global Cloud Map Brutha 7/14/05 5:10 PM
That would be very nice If you could get webspace with php until then I could write a simple script to distribute the access to the different mirrors (this will not generate much traffic). I don't know asp though so I can't help with this.
Worldwide Mirrors Brutha 7/14/05 5:22 PM
This is page of worldwide mirrors: http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php. Right click on one of the servers near you and copy link location. In Google Earth Right click on Cloud Layer (or what you named it) in "Places". Replace the "Image Url or Filename" with the url you copied from the mirror page.
Re: Global Cloud Map alhop7 7/15/05 7:41 PM
Great link. really appreciate your sharing. Thanks
Re: Global Cloud Map Calico_Jack 7/15/05 9:02 PM
Bravo!
Re: Global Cloud Map Arto 7/26/05 3:58 PM
Amazing!!!!
Global Cloud Map makes GE B&W petit 7/26/05 5:29 PM
Radeon my cloud master!

Something strange happened to me tonight.
The wonderfully working cloudmap suddenly turned the Earth Black & White.
I guess that has somthing to do with the transparency handling from the original.
Maybe the load on the originating server became too heavy?
Or maybe my upgrade to GE Plus had somthing to do with it.

I really enjoyed the clouds ;-)
Re: Global Cloud Map makes GE B&W CapeVerde 7/27/05 5:44 AM
Petit,

You should have a scroll bar appear on the left side of your screen when you click on the cloud layer. You can adjust the transparency that way.

CV
Re: Global Cloud Map makes GE B&W petit 7/28/05 3:46 PM
Thanks CapeVerde!

Quote:

You should have a scroll bar appear on the left side of your screen when you click on the cloud layer.

Well, I don't get this automatically, but by choosing to Edit the overlay I can adjust the transparency. Probably I've brainlessly played with the transparency control at an earlier occasion

It all works nicely now.
Re: Global Cloud Map Gull 8/5/05 11:23 AM
Hello, i'm a newbye around,
The cloud cover is spectacular! Nice work!
I was wandering, is it possible to extrude image overlays in order to give them some altitude? It should be easy but i can't figure that out. I think if we could give some altitude to the cloud cover, it would give an interesting kinda cool look.

What ya think?

Gull
Re: Global Cloud Map dadmap 8/5/05 11:29 AM
Not sure how Scotty did it, but his Shuttle/ISS track has height to it.

Download the placemark here:

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=54141
Re: Global Cloud Map Crogon 9/12/05 3:04 AM
I am 100% on the same track as Gull. I am looking for a cloud cover with altitude. Of course the Sun needs some altitude as well. Someone needs to make a moon (unless I just haven't run across it yet). Then I could position my camara to look out over the mountains and see the clouds moving overhead, rainfall moving along the ground, busses bopping around Boulder.. geez we're about three and a half steps from an alternate reality here. ^^

I wonder how hard it would be to manipulate traffic cam pics with gd, to show traffic movement along the highway.

So yeah, could we possibly get the cloud cover moved to somewhere between the ISS track and the ground? You know what would be REALLY cool, multiple cloud layers at their correct altitude! Isn't there a feed for clouds by altitude somewhere? I'm being lazy, I could dig around my links and look for myself, of course.

EDIT: Uhm.. I was wondering why my cloud cover was making a bunch of streaky lines all over the globe. Then I went to look at the layer image:

http://xplanet.dyndns.org/clouds/clouds_2048.jpg

VERY fascinating study in in black and white line shading, but I don't think it's going to map to the globe right.
Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud Map) ChrisMDP 9/22/05 6:09 AM
Hi all,

I thought this would look better alphaed; so I've written a script which runs every three hours on my server - it grabs the image, copies the same image over the alpha channel and saves as a PNG.

Have a look at the attached KMZ. I can provide the code if someone wants to do a mirror - you need Perl+ImageMagick.

Hope you like it!

Chris

Update: The folks over at google have been kind enough to host this for me. I've updated the attachment - download the new one and all should be well again. C
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud Map) pkh 9/22/05 11:35 AM
This is sweet! Great job!

-Phillip
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud Map) PJ13 9/23/05 6:19 AM
This is brilliant, Chris. Thanks. I use it to open up google earth every day, and it regularly gives me a thrill to see the dynamics of the cloud cover.

I have zero programming skills, otherwise I would do this myself, but it there anyway to make the 'day' part of the real time day and night overlay totally transparent through an alpha channel?

Just a thought.

Thanks again

Peter
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M Frank4 9/23/05 2:12 PM
Chris, this is an awesome job! This is the best global cloud layer I've seen yet. I think you may get a write up at the Google Earth Blog!
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M ChrisMDP 9/26/05 1:02 AM
Quote:

This is brilliant, Chris. Thanks. I use it to open up google earth every day, and it regularly gives me a thrill to see the dynamics of the cloud cover.

Glad you like it.

Quote:

I have zero programming skills, otherwise I would do this myself, but it there anyway to make the 'day' part of the real time day and night overlay totally transparent through an alpha channel?

I guess it's possible although I think an optional transparency layer which darkened night areas would work better. I've looked for one but I can't find an overlay. Might have to generate one myself

Chris

PS: For those of you who are repeatedly hammering my server - the file only changes every three hours. It's not worth checking it every three seconds. Thanks.
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M Frank4 9/26/05 8:32 AM
Hey ChrisMDP, just thought I would let you know I finally got a story written up and have published your Global Cloud Map at the Google Earth Blog.
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M jeepguy 9/26/05 2:44 PM
Chris -

Great job on the file - i love the look of the clouds and I use yours and the weather data layer together to get the clouds and rain underneath them..

Way to go
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M D_a_n_t_e 9/27/05 1:30 AM
Thanks Chris for the nice global cloud with transparency and for your server.
What website do you know that it can be seen exactly as yours?

As you mentioned, the file only changes every three hours in your server.
What GMT time(s) does it change? It is important to know when, for noting the time element and so that I can know when to come back to see the newer image.

If for example it changes at 0900 GMT (it therefore changes also at 1200 GMT, 1500 GMT, 1800 GMT, 2100 GMT, 000 GMT, 0300 GMT and 0600 GMT), then when I look at it on 1000 GMT, at least I know that what I'm looking at occured one hour before. Then I can look at it again at the time I know it will change so I can compare the two.

D_a_n_t_e
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M ChrisMDP 9/27/05 1:58 AM
Quote:

As you mentioned, the file only changes every three hours in your server.
What GMT time(s) does it change? It is important to know when, for noting the time element and so that I can know when to come back to see the newer image.

The script runs every hour, on the hour, on the file got from:

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~jml/clouds_2048.jpg

I'm not sure how often that updates, sorry, but my script will delay the update on that server until the following hour.

-Chris
Re: Worldwide Mirrors BigJacko 9/29/05 8:17 AM
Quote:

This is page of worldwide mirrors: http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php.

I'm getting special 404 errors from Sourceforge when I try that link. Does this mean the mirror project has been canned, or has the KML itself been rewritten to choose a mirror automatically?

Just curious - cos this Cloud Map is a wonderfully cool example of GE at its best,
Re: Global Cloud Map BigJacko 9/29/05 8:32 AM
His track uses the <Point> KML command, which has an associated Altitude co-ordinate.

Alas, there's no such co-ordinate for the <GroundOverlay> command, nor its internal <LatLonBox> command either.

And I suppose it's fair play, really... the computation involved in 'stretching' an overlay in realtime, whilst continuing to project it properly over the globe's surface, is asking a lot. And stretching it is what would be needed, if it could 'float' above the earth's surface, and then be rotated in realtime as you zoomed around the globe.

With points, it's a lot easier to do... even with lines (which are really just 'point-to-point' computations), it's manageable. But not full blown bitmap overlays, where the points can run into the hundreds of thousand!
Re: Global Cloud Map jollyreaper 9/30/05 6:18 AM
Is this map still updating? I've got it enabled in my Google but all I see is a gray haze over the planet.
Re: Global Cloud Map BigJacko 9/30/05 6:43 AM
I reckon that means you're using the placemark from the top post in this thread, which points to http://xplanet.dyndns.org/clouds/clouds_2048.jpg

Looking at http://xplanet.dyndns.org/clouds in my browser, it appears that the images there are either broken or not being updated

But if you scroll down to the post marked 'Now with Transparency' there is a second placemark... and that appears to point to the author's own website.

I'm getting a picture with that placemark, but I have no idea whether it is 'fresh' or an old one.

Perhaps the two placemark makers can update us on the situation?...

{EDIT: I have looked through the thread, and it appears that the 'Now With Transparency' placemark is updaing from a different source, namely: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~jml/clouds_2048.jpg - which appears to be displaying a valid image today, at least!

So, my advice, JollyReaper, is to use the second placemark, instead of the top one. Use the one with transparencey, from ChrisMDP}
Re: Worldwide Mirrors billranton 10/2/05 2:59 PM
Quote:

Quote:

This is page of worldwide mirrors: http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php.

I'm getting special 404 errors from Sourceforge when I try that link.

It's not working for you because that dot at the end shouldn't be there. Go to http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php instead and choose a different mirror. If everyone chooses the same one then they'll pull the plug again.
Re: Worldwide Mirrors BigJacko 10/3/05 5:27 AM
Doh - how come I missed that! Thanks Bill!

Hmm - I WOULD use another mirror, except that the UK one seems to be down at the moment. I wonder if this is permanent?

I'll keep an eye on it, and leech off the French one, meantime!

Thanks again Bill
Re: Global Cloud Map TxAg 10/5/05 6:46 AM
How do you rectify the following error message?

Could not load image:
http://xplanet.dyndns.org/clouds/clouds_2048.jpg

Thanks,
Re: Global Cloud Map BigJacko 10/5/05 8:43 AM
You can't. That link is now dead (too many people must've used it)

Instead, go to this post in the thread and use the new placemark, which gets its data from a different source (and improves its transparency).

Then read the rest of the thread, to find out if there is a local mirror-site which you can use, to ensure that you're spreading the load across the servers (and hopefully, avoid the situation where the current ones go dead too!).

Hope this helps.
Re: Global Cloud Map TxAg 10/5/05 7:18 PM
BigJacko,
Indeed the link to the other server worked out very well. I noticed that when you Edit this 'Place' there is already a setting that has it to autoupdate every three hours. You don't have to manually update to get the latest image from the server.

I hope that knowing this will keep this server up and not make it crash like the other one.
Re: Global Cloud Map BigJacko 10/6/05 4:20 AM
I'm glad the other placemark file works for you, TxAg.

I see you've looked inside the placemark, and have seen that it updates automatically every three hours. However, that doesn't stop some people from still TRYING to manually refresh it every few minutes - which is a silly thing to do, because the underlying image itself is only updated once every three hours!

That, unfortunately, is why the last site vanished - because alas, GE's KML language makes it impossible for a developer to prevent a user from manually-refreshing when there is no point. And because some people are just stupid, I guess, or don't read instructions.

This is also why choosing a SEPARATE mirror-site, which hosts the SAME image, and which updates it on the same schedule, is very important too.

I have dug out the URL from further down this thread, so you can find the site closest to you. The URL is http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php - just replace the URL in the Placemark, with the one from that list which is nearest - that way, you will spread the load even further.

Of course, your comment IS right... if people leave the placemark alone, and don't manually update it, then the load would be manageable. But unfortunately, not everybody is as smart as you... and they do it anyway, even though it does nothing to help them. Which is why we STILL need mirrors anyway, alas!
Re: Global Cloud Map Kiriyama 10/31/05 6:03 AM
i'm getting image not found on this cloud map .. is there a new version ?
Re: Global Cloud Map brucemcdonald 10/31/05 8:59 AM
The original version still works. Sometimes if I have a problem like that I just exit the program (after saving the new placemarks) and restart it, and that helps. But on this particular overlay there is in fact a new version, adding transparency to radeon's original Global Cloud Map. It's in the same thread, titled Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud Map) and was posted by ChrisMDP on 09/22/05.
Re: Worldwide Mirrors Mike_Stanyer 11/5/05 5:25 AM
First off I am a newbie to GE... this is what must have been a glint in Tim Berners-Lee's mind when he did his original work in CERN... WOW!

Secondly the concept of dynamic data layers covering most of the globe (would really like to see some of the weather at the top and bottom of our planet... ) is pretty awe inspiring. I would like to see a timestamp auto- magically on these layers somehow.

Thirdly the question of mirrors for the transparant cloud layers seems to have been addressed on the quiet. Looking at my URL I find that I am getting my clouds from a UK site not mentioned in the mirror list. I did not set this up so some code is looking at my domain country and quietly putting in the most suitable/local URL. Well done.. lets not get these supplying sites too upset with our insatiable data demands

Many thanks to radeon
Re: Global Cloud Map panfee 11/6/05 3:37 PM
I cannot load the image. I don't know the reason why.
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud Map) panfee 11/21/05 8:10 PM
terrific!
thank u 4 ur nice job!
Re: Global Cloud Map lunaticurse 11/25/05 12:23 PM
its really gReat...i liked it... thanx
Re: Global Cloud Map radeon 11/25/05 3:16 PM
I thank you all for your postings and critics. I am currently searching for a hi-res image solution, with a much faster update rating.

That would be nice, if it works.
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud Map) drmarkmulligan 12/9/05 4:17 AM
It looks great alphaed - i have been trying to do teh same with other images using image magick but cannot get it to work

I used the following to convert all white picels in an image to transparent

convert cf_9_8.jpg -transparent "#FFF" cf_9_8_tr.jpg

any ideas of where I am goung wrong
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M Frank4 3/21/06 5:13 AM
Unfortunately, this really nice Global Cloud Map with transparencies has stopped working. I hope it gets fixed soon or someone comes up with another one.
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M IanUK 3/21/06 5:44 AM
You're right Frank, the image doesn't load up anymore.
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M Frank4 3/24/06 4:30 AM
Ok, I got the code from ChrisMDP (thanks Chris!). Chris says it was taking up about 5GBytes of traffic per month. Anyone got a server/bandwidth to give Global Cloud Map a new home? The code is in Perl and you need Image Magick and relevant perl modules.
Google Earth should offer global clouds as a layer smcq 3/28/06 7:45 PM
I really think this is something that Google Earth should offer as a standard layer. Anyone else second this motion?

SMcQ
Re: Now with Transparency! (was Re: Global Cloud M Forkboy2 3/28/06 8:54 PM
Quote:

Ok, I got the code from ChrisMDP (thanks Chris!). Chris says it was taking up about 5GBytes of traffic per month. Anyone got a server/bandwidth to give Global Cloud Map a new home? The code is in Perl and you need Image Magick and relevant perl modules.

I've got a server account set up at www.powweb.com which gives 300 GB/month. I only use about 70 GB a month so wouldn't mind helping out. Only problem is I would have no idea how to set it up since I have no idea what Perl or ImageMagick is.

Matt

More topics »