Categories: Docs :

Does Google Docs Scan Files For Viruses?

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Does Google Docs Scan Files For Viruses? EdwinG 1/19/10 9:10 PM

The new feature that allows the uploading and sharing of any docs looks to be promising for us, but does it scan for viruses?  I'm worried about the risk that if an attacker gets into one of my user's accounts, he/she can now share a file that could contain a virus.  Does Google scan the files that it stores, or do I need to take measures myself?

What browser and OS are you using?

Did clearing your cache and cookies resolve the issue? You can quickly clear your cache by refreshing your browser while holding the Shift key.

Re: Does Google Docs Scan Files For Viruses? ahab 1/20/10 1:18 AM
Google does a virus scan on the files it stores as you can see when you try to download the shared file eicar.txt which contain the EICAR test virus in [1] 

Read about the EICAR test virus in [2]
Re: Does Google Docs Scan Files For Viruses? ahab 1/20/10 3:27 AM
For your information: the above mentioned test virus - in itself completely harmless - has been flagged inappropriate and I can no longer share it. It is unknown if a user tagged the link as an abuse one or if this was the result of an automatic procedure. This should show that even when uploading viruses is possible Google does scan and takes counter measures, which should be considered good news.
The bad new is that when I - as the owner - tried to download the file again I encountered an internal file error ( 

Internal Server Error

Error 500 ) of the Google Docs server. This may mean that when a file has been uploaded and tagged as inappropriate it may not be possible to download it again!

Re: Does Google Docs Scan Files For Viruses? EdwinG 1/21/10 3:00 PM
Thanks ahab!