Categories: Report an Issue :

<select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view

Showing 1-13 of 13 messages
<select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view alexdongli 11/11/10 1:37 PM
Google Chrome version: v8.0.552.28
Operating System:XP service pack 3

Chrome cannot display the select box correctly on this demo:
http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_select_size

It seems that attribute "size" is ignored if "multiple" is on. No problem with firebox or IE2010-11-11

Google Chrome version: v8.0.552.28
Operating System:XP service pack 3

Chrome cannot display the select box correctly on this demo:
http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_select_size

It seems that attribute "size" is ignored. No problem with firebox or IE

Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view dwight.stegall 11/11/10 4:08 PM
You're right it shows 4 instead of 2. It's working right in Firefox.
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view dwight.stegall 11/11/10 4:09 PM
Finally someone that knows what they are talking about. 99 times out of 100 people come in here and tell us things and when we go to the site it works right for us but not them. :)
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view OldWiseLlama 11/18/10 3:15 AM
4 visible items seems to be the minimum size for select(multiple) element in chrome. If you add more option elements in the select and set the size more that 4, then it displays more elements. At least with this version with chrome:
7.0.517.44 (Official Build 64615)
Win 7 Professional 64bit

I wonder what is the rationale behind this behaviour, or if it's just a bug.
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view OldWiseLlama 11/18/10 4:05 AM
This actually seems to be a WebKit issue/bug that some are trying to pass as a feature. There a is chromium issue thread about this: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=4579
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view Zequez 3/17/11 5:50 PM
Chrome 10.0.648.151 here, still not working properly.
This is really annoying.
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view WORMSS 9/23/11 5:01 AM
Chrome 14.. Still bugged.
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view Biiim 9/23/11 7:31 AM
<select style='height:35px;' size='2'>

^ 30 seconds work
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view A Rice 11/21/11 11:53 PM
CSS height:35px does work but only as long as the fonts are the default value. For example,

<select style='height:35px;font-size:250%;' size='2'> will render so that there is only a single item displaying (with default Chrome font size). This also hold true for users who have changed the default font size that their browsers uses (Chrome's default is 16) to a different size e.g. 36. As this is not CSS compliant, regardless of the intent, it should be corrected. If there are other pieces that are broken and this was put in place to compensate for them, assuming they can be fixed, those problems should be corrected and then this can be also be corrected. I understand the need at times to temporarily compensate for problems out of direct control, but this shouldn't be the case indefinitely.
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view Biiim 11/22/11 3:03 AM
i know it is a problem and should be fixed.  I design websites and admin systems, I dont have the time to wait 3 years while they design a select box to fit 2 options then decide actually we won't bother - i just get them working and get the job finished.

16 * 250% = 40px

<select style="height:92px;font-size:40px;" size="2">

if you want to use % then either javascript or a serverside script is the answer or just ignore chrome and leave it bugged - maybe they'll fix it when they find people moving from bugged select boxes

im surprised i got 0/3

Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view mohleo 2/3/12 9:57 PM
The bug isn;t fixed yet(as on 4th feb,2012),Your suggestion was somewhat helpful,thanks!
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view Roman Matusevich 6/11/12 2:57 PM
19.0.1084.56 bug still there
Re: <select multiple size=2>: size is ignored and all items are in view Divya Dasar 6/12/12 11:55 PM
is there any fix for this bug.... ????