Categories: Report an Issue :

Installing web certificates

Showing 1-25 of 25 messages
Installing web certificates welby4404 2/2/09 3:21 PM
My company's certificate is not recognized as a trusted certificate.  There is no option to install the certificate information, and i'm not sure which part of the certificate i'm supposed to be importing.
Re: Installing web certificates agl 2/2/09 5:36 PM
If you install the certificates in the standard Windows SSL store they will be trusted I believe. Probably if you follow instructions for installing the cert in IE it will end up there.
Re: Installing web certificates welby4404 2/3/09 6:17 AM
Thanks for the help, it worked!  I sincerely appreciate your assistance, bu tin the future, for noobs you might spell out things like SSL, and IE.  I eventually figured it out, but it's a little intimidating.
Re: Installing web certificates zacharysyoung 2/10/09 4:23 PM
A fairly easy way to install a self-signed certificate in Chrome requires importing the certificate through Internet Explorer. There are options to do this through Chrome, but it seems to require having the actual certificate downloaded on your computer. I also only have access Internet Explorer, version 7. If there's any easier way, please post it...

1. Open Internet Explorer (IE) and navigate to the site hosting the self-signed certificate.
2. IE should display a page warning that, 'There is a problem with this web site's security certificate.'
3. Click the, 'Continue to this website (not recommended)' link.
4. Once the page has loaded, look to the right of the address bar. A red/pink button, labeled 'Certificate Error,' should be visible. Click that button.
5. A pop-up, titled 'Untrusted Certificate,'  will appear. Click the 'View certificates' link at the bottom of the pop-up.
6. Another pop-up, titled 'Certificate,' will appear. Click the 'Install Certificate...' button.
7. The 'Certificate Import Wizard' will be started. Click the 'Next' button.
8. ** For XP:
  a. Leave 'Automatically select the certificate...' option selected, and click the 'Next' button.
   ** For Vista:
  a. Choose 'Place all certificates in the following store' option, and click the 'Browse' button.
  b. Click the 'Show physica stores' checkbox.
  c. Expand the 'Third-Party Root Certification Authorities' folder, and choose 'Local Computer'. Click the 'OK' button.
  d. Click the 'Next' button.
9. This should display the 'Completing the Certificate Import Wizard' dialog. Click the 'Finish' button.
10. A 'Security Warning' pop-up will appear. The warning is informing you that the certificate's origin cannot actually be validated. You should know where the certificate is coming from. If you do, click the 'Yes' button to install the certificate.
11. A final pop-up informing you that, 'The import was successful,' will be displayed. Click the 'OK' button.
12. Restart/Open Chrome and navigate to the site in question. You should *not* be greeted by the security warning page.

If you ever want to remove the certificate, you will probably need to use the Microsoft Certificate Manager. This can be accessed by choosing Start --> Run --> typing 'certmgr.msc' (without the quotes) --> clicking OK. The certificate will be under Certificates - Current User/Trusted Root Certification Authorities/Certificates. You will need to know the name of the certificate, which is displayed during installation.

The name of the certificate is displayed during the installation. You can also look through in Event Viewer --> System for an event labeled 'Application Popup.' This will have the name of the certificate as well as its thumbprint. NOTE: There may be a lot of events with that (very generic) label. Going View --> Find and entering the text 'certificate' (without the quotes) in the Description field should help.
Re: Installing web certificates Torenware Networks 8/13/09 2:26 AM
A couple of the answers above will work in Windows, but as far as I can tell, they don't work in Linux.

It would be handy if Chrome did what Firefox does when you browse to a private Certificate Authority (CA) certificate file (a file that might be named  cacert.crt, for example).  Firefox understands that it's looking at the public certificate of a somebody's CA, explains what the file is, and asks you if you want to trust this CA.  This makes things pretty easy, because a company that wants to get their employees set up just sends them to a link, and the browser does the rest.

Barring that, Chrome needs some way of importing a CA that does not depend upon using another program.
Re: Installing web certificates Manoj Kumar Tinku 8/27/09 6:46 AM
Hey ..

In my system When i acess any URL in the IE6.0 then it is not asking for the certificate error , but when i acess the same URL in the Google Chrome then i giving the Certificate error, How do i over this problem ?

Thanks in advance
Re: Installing web certificates kulwinder190886 9/6/09 12:55 AM
my Google chrome is not working securely i want to access  this securely ..so tell me what can i do......?
Re: Installing web certificates rev_jazz 10/12/09 9:09 AM
Here is the way to set up private CA : http://wiki.cacert.org/BrowserClients#Linux
Re: Installing web certificates Nebron 1/6/10 7:13 AM
What trust store does Chrome use under Linux?
Re: Installing web certificates Keith Grennan 1/25/10 2:53 PM
Any idea how to do this on a Mac?
Re: Installing web certificates Peter van der Does 2/3/10 7:30 AM
To install SSL certificates under Linux:
http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2010/02/02/adding-ssl-certificates-to-google-chrome-linux-ubuntu/

The Ubuntu part is just for the installation of tools, the rest is general Linux.

I'm not 100% sure but this might also work on a Mac.
Re: Installing web certificates HooDooWitch 3/9/10 1:35 AM
So, in order to get Chrome to work with unsigned certificates on a Windows box, I must use IE, the very product I wish *not* to use and a direct competitor of Chrome. Way to go Google!
Re: Installing web certificates envoy510 3/29/10 11:54 AM
The suggestions above didn't work for me.  But this did:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/681695/what-do-i-need-to-do-to-get-ie8-to-accept-a-self-signed-certificate

I'm on Windows 7 (64-bit).
Re: Installing web certificates tzf30 8/19/10 9:47 AM
The suggestion to install the certificate under IE did not work. The certificate appeared to be installed but even IE won't recognize it and if I close and re-open IE and go to the same site, I get the same error. Of course IE lets me continue but Chrome does not.
Re: Installing web certificates rhythman 9/17/10 9:29 AM
To trust a self signed certificate in Chrome on OSX, you need to trust the certificate using Safari:
 * Open Safari
 * Go to the site using the certificate
 * In the certificate warning popup, click 'Show Certificate' button
 * Expand the 'Trust' section
 * In the select labeled 'When using this certificate:' select 'Always trust'
 * click 'Continue'
Re: Installing web certificates ear9mrn 10/23/10 10:42 AM
With Linux look here:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxCertManagement
I found this method for adding self signed certificates with Ubuntu (assume it will work with other distros).

http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2010/02/02/adding-ssl-certificates-to-google-chrome-linux-ubuntu/

Worked for me first time :-) Why cant google add this little script to add a self signed cert? Maybe someone (I could try) write a plugin to do this.

#!/bin/sh
#
# usage:  import-cert.sh remote.host.name [port]
#
REMHOST=$1
REMPORT=${2:-443}
exec 6>&1
exec > $REMHOST
echo | openssl s_client -connect ${REMHOST}:${REMPORT} 2>&1 |sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p'
certutil -d sql:$HOME/.pki/nssdb -A -t TC -n "$REMHOST" -i $REMHOST
exec 1>&6 6>&-

if you get an error running this try removing any earlier cert of the same name:

certutil -D -n <the name> -d sql:$HOME/.pki/nssdb
Re: Installing web certificates chuckh1958 1/3/11 1:55 PM
I have tried all of the above windows "fixes" on Windows XP. I still get the security warning from Chrome that my self signed certificate is untrusted. I've even tried manually importing the cert into the each of the following certiticate stores...

trusted root authorities
enterprise trust
intermediate CAs
trusted publishers
third party root CA's
trusted people

I still get prompted about the cert every time I go to my internal site. FWIW I also get prompted by IE8 (not Firefox though)., Surely there must be a simple way to tell Chrome to trust a specific cert. Can anyone help?
Re: Installing web certificates SpecialEd 2/1/11 5:48 AM
I have tried the linux fixes and chrome still does not trust my certificates.

Redhat FC13 x86_64

This is a glaring mistake in usability to not allow permanent exceptions in chrome.  My work mail does not have a legit certificate, so I have to click through every time.  Not only that, but load times appear terrible on sites with cert issues.  Which makes using chrome for webmail a PITA.

Basic functionality.  Not asking for much...
Re: Installing web certificates John Hinton 2/9/11 11:04 AM
I agree SpecialEd! Combine this issue with Chrome on a desktop and then add in the same issue with no easy resolve on Android in both the browser and email. What could Google be thinking... or maybe more to the point... not thinking.

Yes, basic functionality. I want to 'Add an Exception'. I'm smart enough to know when to do that.
Re: Installing web certificates sappah 8/14/11 11:41 AM
to install dod certificates for Google Chrome...you have to use another search engine and download this file "install 3.13a" from www.us.army.mil....or from any dod sites.  I downloaded mine from the army knowledge online site using Opera search engine.  After i downloaded it, i closed out Opera, opened up chrome and now i can use any dod sites
Re: Installing web certificates Vuitton 8/20/11 5:11 PM
i cannot connected with facebook, how can do that most be install dod certicates for google Chrome
Re: Installing web certificates c0d3 Master 12/5/11 9:12 AM
My solution :-
1) type cd /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/your_profiles on terminal
2) list all database type ls *.db
3) check if the database is exists
4) Normally the database name is  cert8.db  key3.db
5) type ln -s cert8.db /home/c0d3master/.pki/nssdb
6) type ln -s key3.db /home/c0d3master/.pki/nssdb
7) open chrome n voila..u can access ssl on chrome without any problem.. =)

sorry 4 my broken english..
Re: Installing web certificates prashantrana123 12/26/11 6:00 AM
The server's security certificate is not yet valid!
You attempted to reach www.gmail.com, but the server presented a certificate that is not yet valid. No information is available to indicate whether that certificate can be trusted. Google Chrome cannot reliably guarantee that you are communicating with www.gmail.com and not an attacker. You should ensure that your clock and time zone are set correctly on your computer. If they are not, you should correct any issues and refresh this page. If they are correct, you should not proceed
Re: Installing web certificates ghostracoon 2/10/12 5:55 AM
I m using Windows XP , and when i tried to open a site through the chrome, it says that It is a CA certificate error, so i need to download or transfer CA certificate, so i need to download a CA certificate now.......pls tell me from where i can download it?
Re: Installing web certificates BIG bad Bull 8/14/12 1:58 AM
in the mean time there is a bit more simple way to do it form chrome self.
1. click on the lock icon
2. view the cert
Auto install still does not work from in chrome so
3. view and save to file, before saving browse to desktop as the default location is hard to find. use all default options
4. open your desktop dubbel click on the cer file
5. install in trusted (only if you really want to, but when gooing though all this trouble, ...)
6. delete the cer file from your desktop (keep it clean)