Categories: Report an Issue :

My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work.

Showing 1-26 of 26 messages
My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Garrant3 10/26/10 11:44 AM
Google Chrome version (type about:version into the address bar):Operating System:Error Message:Extensions installed:
Please describe your question/comment in detail (for example, steps to reproduce the problem):

I have the most recent version as far as I know of Google Chrome.  I've used past versions on my parents' computer at home, and the address bar worked fine; I could type in anything and it would go to Google search.  Then I bought a laptop for college with Windows 7, installed Chrome, and it hasn't been letting me Google search anything.  I have to type in Google.com if I want to to search for something, not that that's hard work, but it isn't as convenient.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. glittergirl2468 10/30/10 7:16 AM
I noe thts happens to me too....i dont noe why thou...plz help!!!! i type in g and thn tab so it noes im searching on google but it doesnt work it says something like resultbrowse.com???? I dont understand whats going on!!! PLz help
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. kmassengale 11/4/10 5:40 PM
Mine is doing that too! It comes up with a bogus search engine like BrowserQuest or something... Please Help Google!!!
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Douglisk123 11/7/10 1:44 PM
i have the same problem all my searches go to resultbar.com and it wont let me change
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. raphaella 11/7/10 10:48 PM
I have recently had the same thing start happening with resultbar.com. When I go to change it, chrome says it should use google. Does anybody have a solution to the problem?
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Togeika 11/8/10 6:31 AM
I am having the same  problem.   I removed Chrome and data and cold restarted and reinstalled and it was still there when I use the address bar to search.    I search computer for resultbar.com and found it.   Couldn't delete it because it is running.   Looked in Task Manager and it is listed there, but will not close, permission not granted.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Togeika 11/8/10 6:32 AM
running windows 7
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Togeika 11/8/10 6:41 AM
Oh, instead of doing a Google search, when you search in address bar, you go to a page that says at the bottom of the page:  © 2010 resultbar.com. All rights reserved.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. amandaram 11/8/10 11:48 AM
you need to uninstall Resultbar from your programs...... it was installed without you knowing.... after you uninstall, everything will be back to normal
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Garrant3 11/8/10 12:02 PM
Mine is a different one every time :( last time is was questdns.com or something, othertimes querybrowser.com, barquery.com, spacequery.com.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. sandeepc 11/10/10 12:01 AM
I had a same issue, the solution is very simple, open task manager, click on processes tab find resultbrowse.exe and resutbrowse117.exe, select both and click on end process, then open windows explorer, open search tab type in resultbrowse and search, result will show a folder and a exe file, shift delete both of them. Now you can browse safely in google chrome.

This worked with me on Windows Xp 3, all the best.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Garrant3 11/10/10 6:15 AM
Thank you!! For me it was queryexplorer.exe.  Also, I didn't do the thing with Internet Explorer and it still seems to work.  
Really appreciate it!
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. glittergirl2468 11/24/10 6:28 PM
Tht happened to me and i didnt understand why it kept doing that....it works on internet explorer and firefox its only google chrome tht has the problem cuz if you downloaded something previously it has its own browser page...so it sets it to that...i dont remember changing mine but somehow it changed....and i FIGURED OUT A WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!!
Click the start menu and then open the control panel and then add or remove programs and scroll down the list to find the website it always takes you on and them remove it...hope that helps....gud luck
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. jjnoahjames 9/24/11 7:48 AM
I just started having this problem now but it's a little bit different! It takes me to a completely  recent web page rather than google search. Sometimes it has a little tab button on the far right that says search with Google, or search with Facebook.

THIS IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING EVER IN GOOGLE CHROME. I've been searching from the address bar forever and now I can't. That along with the stupidest most dumbed down themes I ever have seen in a web browser is about to make me switch back to Firefox!!

I recently downloaded some torrent programs ( I'm new to Torrents and was trying to get access to some foreign television). This is what started it but I ran Avast!, Malware Bytes, and Security Task Manager all with success in removing some virus entities to be left with the problem explained.

Please help! Windows 7, Chrome 14.0.835.186 m
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. jjnoahjames 9/24/11 7:49 AM
I also tried the formula above but nothing like this shows in my Chrome task manager or my Windows task manager.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. joe.lepper 9/28/11 7:17 AM
I'm having the same problem as jinoahjames. I recently installed uTorrent and began experiencing this result.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Mattattack 10/1/11 6:07 PM
After a little messing around in the browser I have figured out how to get the search bar working.
First, right click in the web bar,
click edit search engines,
Once you click this you need to select google as the default then exit.
Kind of a weird fix let me know if this also worked for you. They should make this option a little more accessible in the options.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. knowmefirst0 10/8/11 10:47 PM
Mattattack,

Thank you so much, this helped me.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. dcal3 11/1/11 1:51 AM
Check out this link: http://www.mytechguide.org/7974/make-google-https-secured-ssl-search-default/.  I followed each of the steps and added Google Secured SSL as my default search engine.  Not only are all of my searches secure from any third party who might try see what I am searching for, but I can now search from the address bar again.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. kevinleitch 12/3/11 10:30 PM
Right click on your address bar and click "Edit Search Engines..."

Make sure you have a default search engine selected.

After I picked a default search engine my problems went away immediately.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. j_ywalk 1/1/12 3:39 PM
You need to edit the "Local State" file:

On Mac: /user/library/Application Support/Google/Chrome
On Windows: \Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

Open the file in a text editor. Search for google.xx where xx is the domain that keeps coming up when you search.  Replace .xx with your country. Save and try again.

Original solution found: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=4a2f9ac545e772f3&hl=en
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. ahqball 2/10/12 5:39 AM
Mattattack, the man!
Thank you!
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. mandapop 7/9/12 10:48 PM
Mattattack!! Yes that was it! I've been trying to figure this out forever.... You are a genius!
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. joeman16 10/7/12 10:35 PM
had done this through preferences (mac) and it still didnt work. Found out for mine that i needed to make sure that google.com was written as "www.google.com" in default search engine to make it work again.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. tiger3xA 12/27/12 10:55 AM
Oh wow, yeah...I was saying to myself (mine already is already set to google as default)...sure enough, it said google.com and not www.google.com and now it works perfectly.  thanks mattattack and joeman16!!  It's been over a year lol.
Re: My Google Chrome address bar won't let me Google search anything; only URLs work. Dimitry Gratia 3/4/13 2:14 PM
Works

Thank You

More topics »