Categories: Give Feedback :

What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle?

Showing 1-85 of 85 messages
What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? jawoodmansee 7/12/12 6:10 AM
I've been playing with different Chrome "Start Pages" as resourceful and sleek as some can be (and others are terrible), they are no replacement for iGoogle.  The one that I liked the best is "Speed Dial 2".  With it I can have access to all of Chrome's apps including links to my news sites.  But it does not give headlines and blurbs that get my attention, so to see what is posted I will need to visit each one or start using Google RSS.  I find myself forced to use multiple Google products to replace iGoogle.  I will start playing with Google+ to see if that can be used as an alternative.  What makes Google so attractive is that all of its products are in one place and can be used with a single sign on, AND of course, that its free.  So I, prefer to find a replacement rather than migrate to another service.  

What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle?  I'd like to have news feeds, gmail, docs, weather, local information, entertainment, and games on one page without needing to access a link to visit another page.  

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? printing724 7/13/12 5:28 AM
Sounds like we're in the same boat (use iGoogle for the same things). What I like about it is that my home page appears the same whether I'm using IE9 (at work) or Chrome (at home), or at a completely different PC.

I do not want to create yet another account so I have not evaluated NetVibes or Protopage which are two options I've seen discussed.

I will be exploring options and report back results as they come up. There's 16 months before it shuts down, and I'm sure there will be alternatives developed.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? CDS57 7/13/12 6:55 PM
Both Yahoo and MSN have similar "MyPage" type of start page but then you loose Google search and the other Google products like Map etc. I've checked NetVibes, Protopage and GoodNoows. They're good but not a replacement for iGoogle.

Hopefully someone will develop a similar page.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? printing724 7/13/12 7:06 PM
Yup. I'm not a fanboi, but I just like the idea of a Google start page since I usd their services so heavily. It seems ironic that I would consider a non-Google start page so I could access Google services conveniently.

But, I use GTasks Premium on my phone since Google never finished what they started there...

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? debragene 7/14/12 6:30 AM
I still can't fathom why Google feels the need for an iGoogle page is no longer needed. It was my start page and I have now spent 48 hours searching for an alternative. Google Chrome is not a replacement. Please let me know what alternatives you have to IGoogle.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? dmhunt112 7/14/12 6:00 PM
I have tried several attempts to right this WRONG!!! but I am not satisfied with anything.  I even went to IE9 to see what they offered. Netvibes and Protopage are ok but still provide much less flexibility.  I am hoping that some young (or aged) developer will soon unleash an app to help.  Also tried stHrt to no avail.  Still looking!
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Efit 7/17/12 4:24 AM
There isn't one.  That's the problem.  Chrome isn't a viable substitute for iGoogle - if I wanted to visit each page individually I'd hit up my Bookmarks.  In fact, Google doesn't have a product that's a viable subsitute for iGoogle... which means those of us currently enjoying the sleek, customizable, widget-based iGoogle homepage will be moving on to other products.

Not the smartest business move on Google's part, in my opinion.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Brilhante 7/17/12 12:42 PM
Olá Boa tarde ! Gosto também do google.Emuito bom , posso nele confiar , é completo ...
o meu problema foi falta de conhecimento que me induziu a uma complicação na página de endereço , que ainda estou tentando solucionar ...
Abraços !!
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Brilhante 7/17/12 12:52 PM
hello good afternoon!
I think young people to study more precision repeito ajuadar .. for us to sail ... complicadmesmo ... but it is the technicians who support us at home let us down, does not reveal what we need.
I'm having problems in the address bar. fiu accept the android. Now instead of http https He is a cold .. must have seguança. but I do not want to swap.
(unknown) 7/17/12 12:56 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Brilhante 7/17/12 1:00 PM
Thanks very much :)
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Brilhante 7/17/12 1:10 PM
Hello please .. guide me to change the https to http. dido Android think I have accepted that caused this change. Can help me if there is not safe for covir poie trim warning!
(unknown) 7/17/12 1:12 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? phil07 7/17/12 6:03 PM
I have spent the last week looking for an alternative to igoogle.  Chrome certainly is not the solution.  I have "forced" myself to use my yahoo as my home page.  Guess what.  It is not as bad as I thought.  The search function is actually quite respectible and the home page is as close as you can get to replicating igoogle.  I was convinced that google had the best search engine on the web, but I am pleasantly surprised by the functionality of yahoo.  Once I customized my yahoo, I ended up with a nice summary page taylored to my needs.  It is unfortunate about the imminent demise of igoogle, but I have made the switch to yahoo and it works for me.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Max2012_2 7/19/12 2:24 AM
I know how you all feel - its my go to page too.

I see some of you are turning to Yahoo\MSN, but you won;t be able to tie gmail in will you?

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? drocindy 7/20/12 8:01 PM
try  www.ustart.org
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? tina33 7/21/12 12:21 AM
thanks that was really helpful
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? jimmydent1 7/23/12 11:45 AM
could we post a rating of the alt's that have been tried?

i have a yahoo acct and i will try the my yahoo page to see how well it fits.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Max2012_2 7/23/12 11:55 AM
protopage.com looks usable to me, but it needs a bit of work to get it there - I've posted up a couple of suggestions to the developers
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? igoogle_lover 7/26/12 12:33 AM
I also would like to implore Google to reverse this decision unless they can off an equivalent or better product to the very useful IGOOGLE.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? needtokno 7/27/12 10:58 AM
Me three!
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? diziknees 8/1/12 9:23 AM
I think google should reconsider trashing igoogle or you will see many google customers eventually spinning away from google products.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? jesned71 8/3/12 9:08 PM
Just set up ustart.org as my iGoogle replacement.  Looks promising; much more like iGoogle than the others that have been suggested.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? CDS57 8/4/12 8:38 AM
Thanks for sharing. It looks really good and even better in certain aspects, like been able to control the numbers of entries displayed in a RSS feed.
Good job!
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? donviejo 8/5/12 10:15 AM
Just tried www.ustart.org and found that it is as good a replacement for iGoogle as currently available. A little too much color for me but I can put most of what I currently use on iGoogle onto this page and use it as my home page.

It is not an ideal replacement but much better than the other possibles, most of which I have tried, such as netVibes and Yahoo.

This is a find and suggest you give it a try.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Z00111111 8/6/12 5:10 PM
I switched to Chrome thinking it would have a customisable homepage identical to igoogle. How wrong I was...

Going to try out ustart while I patiently wait for Google to supply what they implied in the igoogle closing announcement.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Z00111111 8/6/12 5:37 PM
First impressions are as above. Looks A LOT like igoogle, is missing some of the widgets I liked, or I just haven't found them yet, but it's pretty damn close.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? jawoodmansee 8/6/12 6:31 PM
Since posting this question I've been experimenting with different options.  Currently, my chrome browser opens three windows on start up: gmail, reader, and calendar.  These are the three Google gadgets that I most frequently used.  In fact, because my reader opens on start up, I have been current in reading my subscriptions.  It seems, for now that is, that not using iGoogle has helped.  Though I will be looking more into uStart.org as some have suggested.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? jawoodmansee 8/6/12 6:41 PM
The news reports indicate that the number of iGoogle users are down.  But is good replacements are not found may of us who still use it may just easily migrate over to Yahoo.  With all of Yahoo's troubles in the past few years, this may be a blessing (or just a small blessing) for them.  
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? HunterShoptaw 8/10/12 12:35 PM
I checked out Netvibes and its actually a good replacement. One caveat, I didn't use iGoogle to show my gmail, so that didn't matter to me. I mainly loved it as a text based aggregator that let me quickly scan the days headlines and keep myself informed without a lot of wasted time. Sadly, so may of the other services out there are more focused on form over function.

I can say that my short use of NetVibes so far is fruitful. It took a little time to customize but so did iGoogle. Once I got it to where I liked it, which is fairly minimal, I have to say, its a good looking replacement. I was able to push my rss feeds to it with little trouble and now get the same info with a bit more space to work in. Sad to see iG go, but at least now I have a viable replacement.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? T_Moteo 10/14/12 7:14 PM
I couldn't agree more with the dissatisfaction expressed over G's bad decision regards iGoogle. It is but one more example of misguided group-think fostered by the 'ivory tower' environment fostered in G's development corpus.
There is a decidedly smug tone implicit in the Google viewpoint that has taken on a disturbing resemblance to another cyber-monolith; the one with the 'M', you know? I think this is best illustrated by the apparent lack of concern that Google evinces over the fact that both iGoogle and Gmail embarrassingly look better and are more functional as rendered by ie9 than they are in Chrome!
My distaste for that 'M' company keeps me using Chrome, but it is frustrating to say the least.
Google had best learn to listen rather than evangelize if they want to continue their attempt to redefine 'GoogleEarth'!!
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? eaglelynn 11/14/12 12:35 PM
What are people using to replace the calendar gadget?  That was what I used the most ... ustart does not address the google calendar.  Why?  Or is there another way to share a calendar and have it embedded in a page or on the desktop?
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? eaglelynn 11/14/12 12:37 PM
What are people using to replace the google calendar gadget?  ustart does not include it.  I'm willing to move to a new shared calendar but want it visible on my main page .. preferably in a side bar but any way will do.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? FSperry 11/19/12 5:32 AM
It is frustrating. I have tried Netvibes, and others, but am not satisfied. All I want is my google calendar, tasks, and a few other things I like to check quickly. Perhaps I need to fiddle with different pages a little longer to get them to replicate how I use iGoogle.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? FSperry 11/19/12 5:33 AM
yes! I need a way to embed the google calendar gadget, as well as a google tasks compatible task gadget.
exilio 11/19/12 4:55 PM <This message has been deleted.>
exilio 11/19/12 4:56 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? printing724 11/20/12 6:31 PM
I just set up an ighome page. It's a little rough around the edges but the closest thing I have found to a replacement for iGoogle. Had all gadgets I needed save one. Has an interesting feature to create a gadget from a url but I haven't got one working yet. That feature seems a little buggy yet.

But there is a lot of promise here.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? donviejo 11/21/12 2:56 PM
After trying almost all of the possibles suggested on this post, I finally did give a try to ighome.com. No question, this is, hands down, the closest approximation to iGoogle that is out there.

Perhaps there is a better one on the horizon but so far, I have everything on my ighome start page that I had on iGoogle.

It is simple to set up, has a fair amount of gadgets from which to choose and looks good. No, it is not a sophisticated power user's page but for most of us, a start page is a start page.  I just hope the developed continues his good work.

I already switched my home page to ighome and strongly recommend it to others. Why wait for Google to pull the rug out from under. Spend a little time setting it up and give yourself enough time to truly evaluate whether it meets your needs. It certainly met mine.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? sboire 11/22/12 8:33 PM
I like the simplicity and multi-device support (iPhone, iPad) of Iguzu. Check it out at <a href=http://www.iguzu.com>http://www.iguzu.com</a>
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? cjatchley 11/27/12 10:04 PM
Does it offer bookmarks?
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? printing724 12/2/12 6:01 PM
This is an update on igHome, which is now my daily driver. I can't say enough good things about the developer Mike Sutton. Within a week of me suggesting a Google Bookmarks gadget, it was there. Had a few rough spots around the edges which he addressed immediately. His responsiveness is phenomenal.

It is still a work in progress, but at the rate improvements are being added, iGoogle will be surpassed long before its drop dead date. In fact, I'd argue that it is already there.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? donviejo 12/3/12 12:53 PM
I have tried most of the other attempts at replacing iGoogle and found all wanting. However, ighome is as good as it gets in terms of a replacement. Still needs more work on gadgets but it is good, it is highly customizable and it does have an developer/owner who cares and is responsive.

I have already made the switch from iGoogle and have been delighted. My suggestion is that all should try this software and then send your request for changes, addition and/or modification directly to the developer,

From my point-of-view, working with all of the other alternatives that are currently available is a waste of time. Just go ahead, give igHome a try and you will be surprised at what is possible today.

I hope the developer keeps up his improvement work. We should end up with something better than iGoogle.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shalman UK 1/30/13 5:47 AM
I am using a website that I think ,it can be a very good alternative for igoogle.

I found it in yahoo news and now I am using it.

It gives you lot of services which you want and you can set it as your homepage.

name of the website is www.portalpanel.com.

http://news.yahoo.com/portalpanel-launches-bookmarking-featuring-three-applications-one-174629493.html

I hope you like it

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? cathemo 2/5/13 5:35 AM
ighome looks pretty good.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? rpete49454 2/16/13 4:20 AM
I know I am not the only person who isnt happy Google is dropping Igoogle.
I have a start page in the morning when I get online, and have all my apps (weather, news, finances etc)
I wish they would keep igoogle..

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? rpete49454 2/16/13 4:27 AM
Edit, I am not a social networking person. Nix facebook and twitter and those apps. Also, not a gadget guy, no smartphone or touch pads.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Socrates Cappas 2/17/13 3:23 PM
Very unhelpful of Google to pull the rug from under iGoogle without a functional equivalent.  Thanks to those you have posted alternatives.  I will move away from Google as soon as I can get a suitable replacement to what is now my home page.

Socs

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shalman UK 2/19/13 2:45 PM
Dear
I highly recommend www.portalpanel.com.

this is online web bookmarking and some other features that make it very useful and good alternavtive for igoogle.

You can read more about it in its blog:
www.blog.portalpanel.com

I have attached snapshots of its different pages.

I hope it can be useful you.

Best regards

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? LookieLu 7/2/13 7:32 PM
I agree - very bad business move.  Much like the old Microsoft.  "Who cares what the customers want.  Here's what you can have."  Well, I'm moving to Yahoo because there, I have set up a start page that is almost identical to my igoogle page.  I'm using Feedly for my news and Zoho.docs for my documents.  I'm using both Yahoo calendar and Google calendar, and if Yahoo calendar works for me, I'll switch to it.  I may switch to Yahoo email down the road, and if that happens, it's so long Google.

I tried IgHome, Netvibes and Protopage.  They all worked fine except for my stock portfolios.  Yahoo blows away even Google on that one.

I just want Google to know that I would never have even thought about using anything other than igoogle if they hadn't gotten so arrogant as to tell me, "We don't care what you want, you'll use what we give you."  I don't like what they're offering as an igoogle replacement.  It's clumsy and awkward to use.  I also just can't tolerate such a rotten attitude from any business toward its customers.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shalman UK 7/3/13 2:11 AM
I think, it can be helpful if you check www.portalpanel.com. Although it is young but it has attractive and simple design.

You can control all your social networks in one place, Online web bookmarking, Calendar, Web library of useful links in each country and free RSS reader.

I am using this and I am so happy.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? rpete49454 7/3/13 1:01 PM
I took a look at uStart.org and if I can tweak a couple of things that may be my replacement.
It has everything you could want (plenty of options), including an import for what it can import from igoogle.
I brought in some homemade gadgets for weather that dont work, but other than that, I am quite pleased with it.
What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Fed17 7/23/13 1:46 PM
I am totally frustrated Google also. I spent hours and hours building my image over years. Why don't you do what I have done. Write 1 million letters to Larry Paige. By mail. Lets make it 10 million letters by mail. Tell him his people are not listening. The "Buck" stops there! Do it quickly and tell each friend to write one and they reach out to their friends. When a giant doesn't listen, it is the early beginning of the giants demise. Be factual and firm. The one question is.. Why aren't you listening to all of us. His people aren't.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Tuckwolf 7/27/13 8:20 AM
Once iGoogle goes away, so will I.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Thomas Paull 8/11/13 1:45 AM
An interesting alternative to iGoogle is also Startific. It displays icons and widgets, connects all your favorite links and all your bookmarks, etc and organize them into a pretty nice interface, like you probably haven't seen in a quite while, check it if you want at www.Startific.com
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? rpete49454 8/11/13 3:11 AM
The issue with all the replacements, is that the GOOD gadgets or widgets are in a google catelog online. You just go get one, and use it. Keep adding till you have your custom "newspaper/magazine". We read them daily, Startific might appeal to some but for me its a giant miss.
UStart.org has some potential, but limited widgets (or I just dont get how to import them from google catelog/or SOME important ones just don't import automatically.
Same for Netvibes. Potential, but until I can get my exact weather to work, and news-sports....
One other thing, I dont want video news, or dont do facebook/social networking. I want to skim printed stories. Read those of interest. So if all the choices were like watching TV, I would go away.
I do video/tv for entertainment. I quit watching tv news in 08.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? rpete49454 8/11/13 3:44 AM
I also revisited ighome and we have a clear winner. The site is even easier to use and more like google ig.

I will continue tweaking ighome.com and switch over

Shalman UK 8/14/13 7:08 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shalman UK 8/14/13 7:10 AM
I highly recommend portalpanel.com.
It has very simple and neat design. I believe it is a brilliant alternative for igoogle and google reader with SSL protocol.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Hanson Lau 8/16/13 1:41 PM
I agree most wholeheartedly.  With such a long lead time to the demise of igoogle, doesn't google listen to the people?  If you take away something, google should come out with something BETTER and still FREE!  
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shalman UK 9/1/13 3:23 PM
Here is the reason why PortalPanel can be a neat and good alternative for igoogle.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Pat Vary 9/6/13 10:10 AM
me too.  It is a mess.  We now have 2 months to find a simple alternative.  Ideas?
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? donviejo 9/6/13 1:20 PM
I made a recommendation earlier in this online discussion but I do feel there is a need to repeat it.

I have tried almost all of the possible replacements for iGoogle as a home page and found almost all of them wanting, some more than others. The only one I found that was as clean and simple as iGoogle, is easy to set-up and customize, and meets all of my needs is ighome.

I Have been using ighome as my home page, having long ago listened to the Google people and quit using their product as soon as I found a suitable replacement.

Simply put: it works. While not the richest product in terms of apps, there still is more than enough enough to meet my needs, and I don't have to take what I don't want from the owner of the page.

My home page, using ighome, includes date/time, weather, stock quotes and several newspaper and TV feeds. You can customize the page layout and use the tabbed structure to add a second or third page for apps that cannot fit on the first page.

My suggestion ids to give ait a try.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? rpete49454 9/6/13 4:20 PM
I have IGhome also. There is one java weather applet that I cant get to work, but everything else is a near carbon copy.
I like it as mine is set up like reading a news paper.

So I second ighome.com

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shalman UK 9/7/13 3:26 PM
I believe we should go for a website which has got new approach to this category (Creat Custom Homepage) , not the websites which have tried to copy igoogle again. I still believe portalpanel is not a follower and has got one approach , To be to iGoogle, Google Reader and more what iPhone has been to previous cell phones, Simplicity within complexity. Here is the reason why Portalpanel can be a good alternative for igoogle and good homepage for users.
Shannon F. 9/7/13 5:18 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Shannon F. 9/7/13 5:24 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shannon F. 9/7/13 5:34 PM
In my opinion, nothing beats PTP (www.portalpanel.com).
I looked for an alternative to igoogle for a long time just like many of you are, until a friend introduced me to Portalpanel.  

I have been very happy with it.  I have set it as my homepage, so on ONE PAGE I have everything I need. You can personalize it anyway you like.

I have my facebook widget, my weather widget, my calendar, my news (RSS reader), a library of info and all my bookmarks.  

I think PTP has a very authentic and innovative approach and is the best fit for igoogle replacement.    

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? donviejo 9/8/13 10:13 AM

Everyone has different needs and likes to work in different ways so finding a replacement for iGoogle is not an esy task.

PortalPanel appears to be a nice and different approach but there are so many shortcomings for me that I will stay with ighome.

The approach they take is primarily one of links with few, if any apps or widgets. I use a combination of both on my home page.  

As to the PortalPanel's calendar, which is graphically well designed, there doesn't appear to be a way to sync it with any of the other calendars I use, including on my iphone, Google calendar or the Apple iCalendar. Pretty much useless for me.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Dean Furcolowe 9/11/13 3:01 PM
iGOOGLE is the next step into the future of computing and browsing and or interface, if google would take the time and effort to envision a future of a 3D interface with all things running at the same time and always on for instant access to everything on your computer, phone, tablet, laptop etc...
Never having to wait on things to open or load.
 Smart Phoneshave been trying to replicate what you can do on your home computer or laptop and now Google wants to DUMB DOWN your interface to the world of information and computing by getting rid of iGOOGLE. Their alternative is to use apps and or tabs to access things you can already do in ONE PLACE on iGOOGLE, now were supposed to go backwards and use individual iCONS to access things we want. Micro Soft did that already its called windows. Hey look GOOGLE invented icons,windows, oh wait there called APPS now.
 When iGOOGLE came out i thought this was awesome and when they came out with the android system and it would sync up with my calendar, gmail,contacts, documents,photos etc...  I was ecstatic everything I and or WE all need and have been waiting for is finally here with igoogle and android
everything all in one place with one company i have trusted and am comfortable with, with all my information.
 HEY GOOGLE WAKE UP!!!! I MEAN JUST THINK ABOUT IT. IS THERE ANY ONE COMPANY THAT YOU CAN THINK OF ANY WHERE ON THE PLANET THAT YOU FEEL SAFE, CONFIDENT AND COMFORTABLE WITH ALL YOUR PERSONAL AND BUSINESS INFORMATION WITH.  
I VOTE TO KEEP iGOOGLE. I would even be willing to pay for iGOOGLE. Like others have said one login to all google products and they all can be synced up with my android phone.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? RON DARYA 9/12/13 10:56 PM
Like everything else change is not easy but sometimes inevitable.  People in Google made up their mind I guess. I tried different options and honestly some of them are interesting and offer valuable features.

I personally chose to use www.Portalpanel.com and found portalpanel very user-friendly and so far it has everything I need. It has been a very good start up page (homepage).

The part I love the most about portalpanel is the Folder section and the RSS reader. Folder section allows the user to efficiently categorize various links and now I have all my scattered links, like my Youtube links, in organized folders.

The RSS reader gives you the option of a quick glimpse at the updated headlines of your choice on the corner of your home page (Portalpanel). Try it out, you'll enjoy it.

Good luck

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Dean Furcolowe 9/13/13 7:33 AM
Yes there are alternatives to iGOOGLE. The problem is trust, security and ease of use.
 If you go to another company like portalpanel or netvibes you are going to have to give them your google user name and password if you want anything to sync up. that gives another company (that i've never heard of or trust) access to all your information with google. what's even more crazy is that google forum tech's are recomending that google customers go to another company because google doesen't care enough about there own customers to continue supporting a product they feel isn't popular enough. Hey GOOGLE weigh the cost of supporting iGOOGLE against loosing customers. I and many others want an everything all in one spot with one company that I trust. with the demise of iGOOGLE I will now be looking at other alternatives such as apple (which I don't like) or (microsoft That I don't like either) but if I have to give up my iGOOGLE I will probably give up my android also. If google is going to bail on iGOOGLE whats next Android???
 Or we can stay with google and use the Icon/apps page and click on and open a page that you now have to look at for information you MAY or MAY NOT have to see. whereas with iGOOGLE you CAN SEE ALL your information at a glance in ONE SPOT and then decide if you need to go to your gmail,calendar,stocks etc...
 If google would just put a little bit of effort and advertising into iGOOGLE i'm quite sure it would be overwhelmingly popular.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? CDS57 9/19/13 7:03 PM
As iGoogle Nears Its End, 'My Yahoo' Gets Beautiful Redesign. my.yahoo.com
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? CDS57 9/19/13 7:06 PM
... Forgot to mention, you can import your iGoogle settings directly into My Yahoo.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Shalman UK 9/19/13 11:00 PM
With all due respect , I believe Portalpanel.com is one of the best options for igoogle . it has new approach to this category and it has not copied igoogle again.

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? ConorGal 10/4/13 1:26 PM
Certainly looks promising, but it falls over at the first hurdle. When attempting to sign in with my google account:
"Sorry, there was an error. Please sign in again with the same account or a different one."
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? NaRa82 10/5/13 2:37 PM
Among all available alternatives, portalpanel.com seems to be a useful one. It is very user-friendly and easy to work with. Its several features including on-line bookmarking, calendar, web-library and RRS reader service make it even more interesting. I would suggest to give it a try and enjoy its simple applications.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? jdeflo 10/11/13 4:03 PM
just switched to yahoo.com for my home page and I love it, however I would have stayed with IGOOGLE had they not pulled it out from under me.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? sboire 10/11/13 5:13 PM
I made http://www.iguzu.com because I didn't like the clutter in several of alternative to igoogle. It's limited, simple, but it does 95% of what is useful of igoogle.

Cheers

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Dean Furcolowe 10/11/13 9:25 PM
I went to
 Iguzu and what you see is "gmail - authorize access" "facebook - authorize access" "twitter - authorize access" Etc... same problem with netvibes or portapanel or yahoo Etc...
I don't know about you but this a HUGE PROBLEM for me because if I want something similar to igoogle I now have to give access to my google login and password to some company I never heard of, HUGE HUGE SECURITY RISK!!!! what is the first thing people say about being safe and secure on the internet, NEVER EVER GIVE ANYONE YOUR PASSWORD.
 Thanks Google/igoogle for giving us the high hard one. you could have at least given us some type of alternative like maybe integrating igoogle with google+ (which blows by the way). whats next? how long before google bails on google+ or google- wallet or android? CAN'T TRUST GOOGLE ANY MORE!!!
I will probably be going to Yahoo, don't want to but google Dumped me like a fat ugly blind date.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? sboire 10/12/13 12:52 AM
Hi Dean,

I understand your concerns, but let me address some of them.

1. The login (via google), uses Google to authenticate you. It gives to iguzu access your email address (i.e. not your emails) and google nickname. But iguzu doesn't get access to anything else. When you login, the page on Google effectively confirms that you agree to share that information to iguzu. I guess for most this is reasonable.

From there you can setup basic stuff like bookmarks, Meteo, Stocks, RSS feeds.

2. Seeing your facebook, gmail, calendar, twitter content in the iguzu portal requires you give access to the content of those respective accounts. This has serious privacy implications since to display the information, iguzu must have access to the information.

That being said, this is done via OAUTH (an Internet standard). Never iguzu gets to have your facebook, twitter or gmail username/password. iguzu obtains a security token, that can be used to access facebook, gmail, twitter, etc. on your behalf. That security token can be revoked at anytime on google, twitter, facebook, etc.

Since tweets are already public, iguzu is not privy to "private" information on twitter, but rather some "customized" information, this is probably not a big privacy issue. For facebook, you kind of making iguzu one of your friend, again probably OK with most.

Gmail access is another thing. Emails are rather private, so you may want to pass on that "feature", just turn off the widget, but it depends how sensitive you are to the privacy issues. Google calendar and Google tasks are similar, but would usually present slightly less privacy concerns than emails (given that the are not implicated in security workflows on the Internet, like email can be).

I hope that clarifies a bit more the information you share when using those features.

Sebastien

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? lisabpowell 10/12/13 8:22 AM
I agree.  I had my igoogle page set up in a user friendly style for myself and now all that work is down the drain.  Perhaps Google is going to come up with a more ingenious home page?  (I seriously doubt it.)  The thought of going to another homepage like Yahoo and using IE as my browser gives me an upset stomach.
Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? lisabpowell 10/12/13 8:30 AM
I took a brief glance at www.ustart.org and from the fast perusal it looks like it might be my closest option.

My concern is if I have a technical problem.  Is there a reliable group of tech support that can answer my questions and walk me through repairs?

Re: What Google product would make the best replacement for iGoogle? Dean Furcolowe 10/12/13 8:40 AM
Bottom line we are all getting screwed big time by google because now we don't know which google product they will bail on next, google+, google-calendar,picasa,google-wallet, etc... thanks google for dumping on us, now its our turn lets all bail on google. BOYCOTT Google.
More topics »