Categories: Report an Issue :

Spell Check not working

Showing 1-294 of 312 messages
Spell Check not working Mars Blomgren 9/26/12 2:03 PM
I have not had any updates on anyhing and all of a sudden today spell check stopped working. How can I fix this or when will it be fixed?

Re: Spell Check not working Santos Martinez 9/26/12 2:29 PM
My Spell check is not working either.
Re: Spell Check not working phipfwe76 9/26/12 2:32 PM
Same here. Just noticed my spell check isn't working either.
Re: Spell Check not working Vampiric Mistress 9/26/12 2:46 PM
Mine stopped working to, not that long ago.. rebooted google twice and still nothing.
Re: Spell Check not working Bill Hobba 9/26/12 9:50 PM
Same here.  I reinstalled Chrome hopeing it will fix it but it didn't.

Anyone got any ideas?

Re: Spell Check not working Lady_Of_Honor 9/26/12 10:24 PM
Me three  :-(
Re: Spell Check not working Lady_Of_Honor 9/26/12 10:25 PM
I accidentally updated chrome and not it's gone, but I see that others did NOT have it and they did not update, so I have to wonder what happened.
(unknown) 9/26/12 10:25 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working Bill Hobba 9/27/12 3:40 AM
Hi Guys

Got mine working.  Here is what I did.

I tried the spell checker in Firefox.  It didn't work.  I tried IE and downloaded a spell checker for it.  That didnt work either.  Something drastic was obnviously amiss andI thought it may be a virus.  I had Panda antivirus installed and tried to do an antivirus scan but it kept locking up.  Thats bad.  So I uninstalled Panda and put in AVG - bingo - it started working again.

But just noticed it stopped working again Grrrrr.

Thanks
Bill

Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 9/27/12 8:51 AM
EDIT2: Hey folks, if you have unchecked the option to "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors", check that you have "Enable spell checking" selected for English, or your preferred language:
 - Click on the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > Languages > Languages and spell-checker settings > is the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog selected?

Please let us know if you still do not see red underlines for incorrectly spelled words. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Thanks folks for confirming the temporary workaround. We are looking into this issue on our public issue tracker. If you would like to follow along to get updates from the issue tracker you can click the star next to the issue number. We will also post updates here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey folks,

Thanks for your reports. Please let us know if you have the following selected (thereby enabled): 
- Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > in the Privacy section, do you have "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked?

If you do, can you try unchecking the checkbox as a temporary workaround and let us know if that changes things for you? Please let us know what you see so that we can troubleshoot this issue further.
Re: Spell Check not working Paul 33 9/27/12 9:54 AM
Thank you. Unchecking the "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors"  does solve the problem for me and I'm now pretty sure its the option to use "ask google for suggestions" option when you right click under a misspelled word that has caused this issue.  
(unknown) 9/27/12 10:28 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working cw_mn 9/27/12 10:29 AM
This worked for me as well.
Re: Spell Check not working Greico Modern Homes 9/27/12 10:35 AM
Perfect, Thanks
Re: Spell Check not working RyanK 9/27/12 11:05 AM
Sie,

That did fix my issue on both of my systems (corporate and my home machine). I originally thought the issue was due to a firewall at work, but after noticing the issue happens at home I believe it's something deeper. I will follow this post looking for an update. I'm a horrible speller and love the web service to help resolve spelling errors option. I figured out my horrible spelling every time.

Thank you,
Ryan

Re: Spell Check not working JimboKimbo 9/27/12 11:15 AM
Same problem. Really annoying. I'm using Chrome Beta Version 22.0.1229.91 beta-m. It stopped working a day or so ago for me.
--

------------------------------
*Kimbley Computer Services *- 0845 643 0741
Our Website <http://www.kimbley.com/> -
Our Blog <http://blog.kimbley.com/> - Twitter<http://twitter.com/KimbleyComputer>
 - Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/kimbleycomputerservices> - LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/kimbley-computer-services>
 - Review Us <http://kimbl.es/Jw6FqW>
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 9/27/12 11:23 AM
Hey folks, 
As mentioned in my post above, we are looking into this issue on our public issue tracker. If you would like to follow along to get updates from the issue tracker you can click the star next to the issue number. We will also post updates here.
Re: Spell Check not working Rigges 9/27/12 11:29 AM
Ok  I unchrckes it and it is still not doing dpell check?????????

as you can see above

Re: Spell Check not working Rigges 9/27/12 11:36 AM
wel I stil seee no change it doe sen't auto Correcttt at allllll

Need a fix soon

Rigges

Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 9/27/12 5:25 PM
@Rigges, can you post: 
(1) details from your "chrome://version
(2) a screenshot of the issue (where the incorrect text is not being red underlined) and 
(3) a screenshot of the settings selected in the Privacy section?
Re: Spell Check not working Bill Hobba 9/27/12 7:42 PM
Worked for me - does exactly the same as turning off Ask Google For Suggestions.
Re: Spell Check not working Lamont Lewis 9/27/12 11:55 PM
Me 3.
Re: Spell Check not working Username112112 9/28/12 12:39 AM
I'm gitting the exact same thing, wtf is going on? It was fine before, chrome is acting all buggy again...
Re: Spell Check not working BradleyQ 9/28/12 5:55 AM
I triead that and it worked only to underline the misspelled word but offered no options to correct it other than for a Google search for "triead".
Re: Spell Check not working Angelbarbie 9/28/12 6:14 AM
Oh good i am glad its not just me! mine doesn't work either... i haven't changed any settings so couldn't fathom out why it didn't work. glad its not just me then!
Re: Spell Check not working Angelbarbie 9/28/12 6:17 AM
that isn't an option there is no use a web service to help resolve spelling option to check or uncheck....
Re: Spell Check not working grumpy old man 9/28/12 6:59 AM
On Thursday, 27 September 2012 10:51:34 UTC-5, Sie_Deen  wrote:
> EDIT: Thanks folks for confirming the temporary workaround. We are looking into this issue on our public issue tracker. If you would like to follow along to get updates from the issue tracker you can click the star next to the issue number. We will also post updates here.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------Hey folks,
>
>
> Thanks for your reports. Please let us know if you have the following selected (thereby enabled): 
> - Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > in the Privacy section, do you have "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked?
>
>
> If you do, can you try unchecking the checkbox as a temporary workaround and let us know if that changes things for you? Please let us know what you see so that we can troubleshoot this issue further.

That worked for me. Thanks!
Re: Spell Check not working pepet 9/28/12 7:57 AM
Hahahhahaaha, that was the problem for me too.

And I just decided to let Google do this sort of spell-checking for me. Maybe I broke it :).

The Internet is broken because of me!

Thanks anyway, would be nice to receive an update on the matter.

Have a lovely day!

Re: Spell Check not working Kjeld Lindsted 9/28/12 8:48 AM
Temporary workaround seems to help. Thanks!
Re: Spell Check not working Jonathan Harry 9/28/12 9:46 AM
Mine will show a spelling error, but will not offer suggestions, checking the box for sending data to google (which I am unwilling to do beside for this test) makes it worse as it will not show underlines on misspelled words.
Re: Spell Check not working Yahia Kh 9/28/12 10:05 AM
thanks a lot temporary fix  but suggestion now stopped :(  

anyway thank u

Re: Spell Check not working ~Who~ 9/28/12 10:38 AM
I lost my spell check too! I do not have the "use web service" checked in advance settings. As in other posts I see that a word is spelled wrong with the red underline... but I dont get the option to correct it. I only get "undo" when I right click. :((
Re: Spell Check not working Frank Parmelee 9/28/12 11:03 AM
Thanks - that seems to work.
Re: Spell Check not working Hal Levy 9/28/12 12:34 PM
This worked for me also
Re: Spell Check not working mnd881 9/28/12 1:01 PM
I have included screenshots of all that was requested.

Hope this helps

Re: Spell Check not working castra 9/28/12 1:46 PM
I've unchecked "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors". It appears to be working fine now. Thank you for your advice. :-)
Re: Spell Check not working Marble68 9/28/12 1:55 PM
Broken for me. I've tried all of this with no luck on this 64bit Win7 Ult install.

Spellcheck works fine on my Mac.

Unchecking using a web service means no change.

this word is not underlined: univerkely

Re: Spell Check not working Reiver 9/28/12 1:56 PM
Me too.  Homepage not loading either.  It's one thing after another, think I'kk go back to Firefox.
Re: Spell Check not working Marble68 9/28/12 2:01 PM
For me: I cleared my cache back to the be beginning of time, closed and reopened Chrome.
Then, I also unchecked "ask Google for suggestions" on the right click context menu.
So right clicking / spell checker options / only English (United States) and 'Check the spelling of text fields' were checked.

Suddenly, it's working for me again.

Re: Spell Check not working Ken Burton 9/28/12 4:38 PM
Un-checking "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors"
got my spell checker back.
Version 22.0.1229.79 m on Vista 32
Re: Spell Check not working Rsheppard30 9/28/12 6:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. It was working fine for me yesterday but today it doesn't
Re: Spell Check not working Rsheppard30 9/28/12 6:49 PM
It's not working for me either.
Re: Spell Check not working Taylor5 9/28/12 6:52 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks for continuing to post your updates! For those who just joined this thread, un-checking "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" resolves the issue for most people. Please use this as a temporary workaround while we investigate. If interested, you can follow the issue's progress in our public issue tracker by starring the issue number. We'll post back when we have more updates.

Taylor
Re: Spell Check not working Rsheppard30 9/28/12 6:54 PM
Same here and it was working fine yesterday
Re: Spell Check not working Rsheppard30 9/28/12 7:38 PM
Where can that be found?
Re: Spell Check not working JamesW999 9/28/12 9:53 PM
Un-checking "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" worked for me here! Thanks
Re: Spell Check not working Bigpoppa09 9/29/12 3:17 AM
Mines Either (Did I spell Either Right?)
Re: Spell Check not working hexigon aran 9/29/12 4:52 AM
The work around worked for me, but I had to do it a few times in order for it to work. The developers are surely investigating it now though, good to see they respond to people with the problem. Hopefully you work it out soon though!
Re: Spell Check not working Cliff Hartle 9/29/12 5:52 AM
Yes it worked for me but Google please please fix this.

The internal spell check is pretty crappy even for simple typos. Before I found the option of Ask Google I had to select the word, right click and Search Google for the word.

Re: Spell Check not working BradleyQ 9/29/12 6:03 AM
Still a problem for me.  It just recently stopped working properly and for no apparent reason.
Re: Spell Check not working JbugsMom 9/29/12 7:13 AM
it worked for me. :)
Re: Spell Check not working Rigges 9/29/12 7:49 AM
Well today it seems to be working OK but I have seen it not underline the miss spelled text. so may be it is fixed???????/

Version 22.0.1229.79 m

Today it seems to be working fine.

I attached the Images that these image links go to as attachments

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/RiggesCTR/ChromeSettingsScreenshot.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/RiggesCTR/ChromeInfo.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Spell Check not working Ctchrisf 9/29/12 8:31 AM
Yup lost my beloved spell check think two days ago so 9/27/12. been driving me crazy since is a reckless typer. but once I type a word I have trouble finding misspelling. I even fired up IE8 to see how that was if i couldn't use chrome. Ohh the horror. I got two tabs open of the 40 or so I keep active and ran away.

Don't do this to me Google. '

so unchecking "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors"
worked for me. I can resume productivity. Thank you.

pssst.
someone should fix that. not everyone is determined to find fix. FB is a spelling nightmare right now.

Re: Spell Check not working HSOUIXZ 9/29/12 8:36 AM
I didn't choose to update, but it might have *automatically* updated. Please fix the SPELL-CHECK.

Re: Spell Check not working HSOUIXZ 9/29/12 8:41 AM
Temporary work around seems to help. Please permanently fix this, thanks.
Re: Spell Check not working The Yancey 9/29/12 8:46 AM
The work around did not work for me.  Still no spell check.
Re: Spell Check not working Anna Johnson 9/29/12 9:34 AM
I did all that, and unchecked the box - still not working
Re: Spell Check not working Anna Johnson 9/29/12 9:38 AM
got mine to work after right clicking, going to spell checker options, and unclicked the  "ask google for suggestions" - works fine now thanks
Re: Spell Check not working PatMac 57 9/29/12 10:38 AM
What happen to spell check... And my offer to save passwords only works sporatically ....Fix please....and how long will it be till it's fixed????

Thank You....

(unknown) 9/29/12 12:52 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working IAN JACK GATES 9/29/12 1:39 PM
worked for me,,, THANK YOU !!!!! from a poor speller !
Re: Spell Check not working chromie4 9/29/12 2:44 PM
Thanks. That worked,

Finally!!

Re: Spell Check not working soskb 9/29/12 7:40 PM
My spell check stopped working as well.  Have tried all of the suggestions found here. No luck.
Re: Spell Check not working Matthew Johnson 9/30/12 2:00 AM
it didn't help
Re: Spell Check not working Mag Har 9/30/12 2:13 AM
Thank you My spell checker just stopped working this morning but unchecking the box has worked!
Re: Spell Check not working Howard Neal 9/30/12 2:31 AM
The work arounds don't work for me either.

Misspelled words are highlighted but selecting and right clicking provides no alternative suggestions for spelling. The "Add to dictionary" function has also disappeared.

Re: Spell Check not working goth1856 9/30/12 3:03 AM
right click on a word that you mistyped. on the drop down, click on "spell checker options" then uncheck "ask google for suggestions" - done!  :-)
Re: Spell Check not working Lee Kielty 9/30/12 3:25 AM
Work around fixed problem in Hotmail. However not that spell choking is not working in this reply??
Re: Spell Check not working Bryan22 9/30/12 3:50 AM
The day before spell check packed up I noticed a new feature. Some words where underlined in gray these were words spelt correctly but not the right word.EG there their. Perhaps this new feature has crashed the hole system.
Work around does not work for me.
Re: Spell Check not working Devi Bunny 9/30/12 4:39 AM
It is not working for me at all even with unchecking the box / other things that have been suggested , re-booting the webpages , or even restarting my whole computer .

I have been making multiple spelling mistakes in multiple situations / places and am resulting to switching over to another internet service until / if this gets fixed .

Re: Spell Check not working zedordead.co.uk 9/30/12 4:50 AM
thank you works now....but i do like the help function of the item i just unchecked because it throws up more word options that basic spell check alone please fix it guys n gals
Re: Spell Check not working Pamela Pierce 9/30/12 6:20 AM
It worked for me... BUT I have to click INSIDE the work to get suggestions.  At least it works though... I wonder how many typos I have had over the past few days:(
Re: Spell Check not working Pamela Pierce 9/30/12 6:21 AM
Inside the word...not work... too bad Chrome doesn't have a stupid checker..
Re: Spell Check not working Matt Gebski 9/30/12 9:38 AM
Worked! Thanks a lot.
Re: Spell Check not working Supak 9/30/12 9:41 AM
Yes, unchecking the "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" box fixed the problem, apparently.
Re: Spell Check not working Lori Staten 9/30/12 10:49 AM
This is what worked for me.
 Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > in the Privacy section, do you have "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked?
Re: Spell Check not working Lori Staten 9/30/12 10:50 AM
Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > in the Privacy section, do you have "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked?

This worked for me.

Re: Spell Check not working spacedrive 9/30/12 12:02 PM
Mine is not working to and on facebook
Re: Spell Check not working Charles Keller 9/30/12 12:52 PM
Fixed it, thanks.
Re: Spell Check not working J.C. Schaumleffel 9/30/12 12:59 PM
Mine quit yesterday.  I have not experienced any unusual updates or installs (or any other issue).  

The fix suggested above worked just fine for me...

"- Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > in the Privacy section, do you have "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked? If you do, can you try unchecking the checkbox as a temporary workaround and let us know if that changes things for you? Please let us know what you see so that we can troubleshoot this issue further.

This setting was default for me...nothing that I had previously done.  I also do not have any spell/grammar check extensions or programs running in the background.

Thanks for the fix!!!  Didn't realize how much I relied on spell check while typing.

Re: Spell Check not working RustyinCabo 9/30/12 2:07 PM
That fixed it for me thanks.
Re: Spell Check not working Robert Barnard 9/30/12 3:25 PM
Chrome is not spell-checking on both of my machines (home and work). In checking Advanced Settings, I found the "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" option was not check.

Upon checking the checkbox, speck checking still doesn't work. perpaps I have to close and reopen Chrome...

Re: Spell Check not working Will Bethea 9/30/12 3:54 PM
This suggestion fixed my recent problem with auto-spell check not working in any web forms (such as Facebook or Gmail) in Chrome.

Thanks.

Re: Spell Check not working oya= 9/30/12 6:44 PM
It worked for me, too
Re: Spell Check not working bigfatpig 9/30/12 6:52 PM
I just unchecked the Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors box and it now works.
Re: Spell Check not working ragen 9/30/12 7:05 PM
when using the "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" it will underline the mispelled <----word with the wavy red line, but when highlighting the word and right clicking the mouse little to no alternatives are shown in the pop up box. Google needs to patch this
Re: Spell Check not working dcBear78 9/30/12 7:12 PM
Unchecking this underlines the the incorrect word. But right clicking does not provide suggested words as it used to which was what I always used.
Re: Spell Check not working JudgeDrey 9/30/12 9:23 PM
"If you do, can you try unchecking the checkbox as a temporary workaround and let us know if that changes things for you? Please let us know what you see so that we can troubleshoot this issue further."

Yes! This fixed the problem for me FYI. For now....

Please Chrome....PLEASE don't start letting me down now like other browsers have all done so far. I can handle a few bugs, but not going backwards!! sigh.

Re: Spell Check not working shortstuff48 10/1/12 3:25 AM
My spell checker is not working. In settings I only show advanced settings sync and no choice of plain advanced settings. Help!
Re: Spell Check not working Robbybayrob 10/1/12 5:00 AM
Its at the very bottom of the settings page, it looks like a link. Took me a few to find it as well. It did fix spell checker for me as well.

Show advanced settings...

Re: Spell Check not working BradleyQ 10/1/12 5:48 AM
The work around suggested seems to partially fix the problem on my system.  

I think some of the reported problems have to do with "highlight and right click" vs. simply "placing the cursor inside the word and then right clicking". The former doesn't work, the latter does. I made several intentional errors in this post and it caught/corrected all of them just fine using the method described above.

Re: Spell Check not working Joshua0583 10/1/12 6:27 AM
I have found that unchecking the box "Ask Google for Solutions" seemed to be a remedy for it.
Re: Spell Check not working Karina Napier Anderson 10/1/12 9:12 AM
Hi Taylor,
Thanks for your efforts.

The "use a web service..." box is, and as far as I know, has been unchecked in my Chrome Advanced settings for quite some time, and yet i've had issues with my gmail spell check for months.

Please advise?

Much Thanks!

Re: Spell Check not working Terri Crane 10/1/12 9:22 AM
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:51:34 AM UTC-7, Sie_Deen wrote:
> EDIT: Thanks folks for confirming the temporary workaround. We are looking into this issue on our public issue tracker. If you would like to follow along to get updates from the issue tracker you can click the star next to the issue number. We will also post updates here.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------Hey folks,
>
>
> Thanks for your reports. Please let us know if you have the following selected (thereby enabled): 
> - Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > in the Privacy section, do you have "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked?
>
>
> If you do, can you try unchecking the checkbox as a temporary workaround and let us know if that changes things for you? Please let us know what you see so that we can troubleshoot this issue further.

that worked!  thank you very much!  :D  i'm happy!
(unknown) 10/1/12 9:40 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working Benjamin Miller 10/1/12 10:00 AM
Unchecking "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" solved the problem for both myself and a coworker.

Thank you for being on top of things and getting this temporary fix out to us!

Chrome: Version 22.0.1229.79 m

(unknown) 10/1/12 10:18 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working Calisson 10/1/12 10:37 AM
Worked!
Re: Spell Check not working Kelly Baker 10/1/12 10:47 AM
Unchecking did NOT fix this problem for me.
Re: Spell Check not working Cdick001 10/1/12 1:36 PM
I thought it was only me that spell check did not offer correction.
Re: Spell Check not working Squiggy Topbox 10/1/12 6:29 PM
Mine stopped working a few days ago too so I tried this and it's still not working!
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 10/2/12 5:31 AM
Same, since the Chrome update spellcheck is 'NUDA' = 'Useless'.............Tried bot checking and unchecking as suggested in the required fields but to no avail!?
Re: Spell Check not working secdoover 10/2/12 11:26 AM
Yeah...that did nothing. Wavy red line? Yes. Suggestions? No. :(
Re: Spell Check not working Invader138 10/2/12 2:28 PM
I have the same issue. I am running Chrome Version 22.0.1229.79 m on Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1. Specifics of the issue:

type 'teh' instead of 'the'
I get a red line under 'teh'
highlight 'teh' and right click
I get 'Spell-checker options' where I can set my language or ask Google for suggestions.
I do NOT get the nifty suggestions from the right click menu where I could simply click 'the' and have the word replaced with the correct spelling.

Re: Spell Check not working zzapper 10/3/12 2:29 AM
i stil canot get spel chekking to wurk in croome evan tho i've unchecked the seting yu recomend
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 10/3/12 11:22 AM
@Bryan22, @Devi Bunny, @Pamela Pierce, are you still not seeing red underlines for incorrectly spelled words?

Do you have "Enable spell checking" selected for English, or your preferred language?
Click on the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > Languages > Languages and spell-checker settings > is the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog selected?
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 10/3/12 11:25 AM
@Robert Barnard, are you still not seeing red underlines for incorrectly spelled words?
Re: Spell Check not working Tanuj* 10/3/12 11:42 AM
thanks @Sie_Deen! now it's gone.  :)
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 10/3/12 11:42 AM
@zzapper, do you have "Enable spell checking" selected for English, or your preferred language:
Click on the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > Languages > Languages and spell-checker settings > is the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog selected?

Also are you right clicking on the red underlined word directly to get suggestions? 
Or are you selecting/highlighting the red underlined word first and then right clicking to get suggestions?
Re: Spell Check not working stevenspray 10/4/12 2:44 AM
Sie hi there, I won't read through all the responses, too many!

I do get Spell-Check (red squiggly lines under wrongly spelled words) but I do not get Spelling Suggestions, do you know what I meam?

When I typed a word wrong, I used to just right click on said word and Chrome automatically gave me a list of suggestions I could then just click on. This has disappeared. I use this function a lot!

Now, I have to right click on the wrong word and select "Search Google for whatever" and only then will Google suggest the correct word.

Why did this happen? I reinstalled Chrome (lostall my tabs) in the hope it would fix the issue but it hasn't!

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Steven

Re: Spell Check not working kernels 10/4/12 6:12 AM
Exact same problem and I miss being able to right click and get suggested spelling. OMG I hate not having this feature.
Re: Spell Check not working ~Who~ 10/4/12 11:06 AM
I have tried all of the above... and my spell check still does not work. I get the red underline showing it is mis-spelled but when I right click to chose a correct spelling I only get "undo" as an option. :(
Re: Spell Check not working ~Who~ 10/4/12 11:19 AM
I did this and it still does not work. :(
Re: Spell Check not working Michael Ntamoulakis 10/4/12 5:18 PM
unchecking the "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" solve the problem for me.

Thanks.

Re: Spell Check not working stevenspray 10/5/12 3:40 AM
It is NOT "Spell Check", stop confusing Sie. It is the "Spelling Suggestion" that is not working.
Re: Spell Check not working stevenspray 10/5/12 3:42 AM
Nope. That did nothing for me. Did you have a "Spell Check" OR "Spell Suggestion" issue?
Re: Spell Check not working stevenspray 10/5/12 5:29 AM
@Sie_Deen

Are you still working at Google?

Are you able to reply? If not, just say so. I will then look for help elsewhere.

Regards

Re: Spell Check not working Manisilentkiller 10/5/12 8:06 AM
i still do not see red underlines for incorrectly spelled words.... i enable spell checking and also "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" uncheck but ....i couldn't see red underline of wrong spell>>>> kindly repute the steps that what should i do so it shows red underline under wrong text....regards
Re: Spell Check not working Manisilentkiller 10/5/12 8:15 AM
@Sie_Deen
 tell me that what options should i check or what i should not check in detail kindly.......
(unknown) 10/5/12 9:42 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working plaster tuan 10/5/12 10:03 AM
i also facing the same problem
(unknown) 10/5/12 10:07 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working stevenspray 10/5/12 11:30 AM
Hello??!?! Can you help us?????
Re: Spell Check not working stevenspray 10/5/12 5:13 PM
Anyone having the issue I described, this is what you should do...

DO NOT "select" the misspelled word. (by double left clicking the word)

Merely, right click on the word once and presto!

**Issue solved by @Sie on another post.

(unknown) 10/9/12 7:45 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working KotsChopShop 10/9/12 2:47 PM
^^ that's actually not the fix

THE FIX is to NOT HIGHLIGHT THE WORD and right click as we all had to do in prior versions - Google has changed it to where you no longer have to highlight and right click the red underlined word, but simply right click it, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THE WORD BEFORE RIGHT CLICKING IT = fixed

Re: Spell Check not working apathetic 10/11/12 1:21 PM
This worked for me.
Re: Spell Check not working Vince Badovinatz 10/12/12 6:25 AM
That is how it has always been 4 me
Re: Spell Check not working Cnow 10/14/12 7:15 PM
So I see this problem is incredibly wide spread. I have to say that the spell checker was one of my favourite parts of Google Chrome. This problem is very annoying. Chrome detects spelling errors, but does not offer suggestions. I have tried all the suggestions cited here, and their reverse. Nothing makes it works. A couple of times it worked for the first word I spelled incorrectly, then never worked again. I would really appreciate a solution for this problem! Has no one from Google officially posted on this topic since September?
Re: Spell Check not working zzapper 10/15/12 3:32 PM
Thanks Sie_deen,
Yep that's it problem solved, but who changed what? and isn't that setting really hidden away in a dark corner?
Re: Spell Check not working zzapper 10/15/12 3:34 PM
Just testing if would correct horendous to horrendous which it did!
Re: Spell Check not working Jseamless 10/16/12 11:52 AM
Is there a solution for this now?
Re: Spell Check not working Ernest Buffington 10/17/12 9:08 AM
Let me suggest trying more than one website that uses a message system or message editor before you say something is broken. Some wysiwyg online editors disable and do not allow chrome to run spell check. You can get around this by choosing view source in the wysiwyg editor. spell check will run in the view source mode.

(unknown) 10/17/12 9:44 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 10/17/12 9:46 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working vfx 10/18/12 1:39 PM
Note the the WRENCH is gone. It's been replaced by the three stacked bars in a box icon.

-Go to settings
-advanced
-languages
-languages and spell-checker settings
-pick your english language
-note and click on the tiny box at the bottom for Enable Spell Check

now it works

Re: Spell Check not working Invader138 10/18/12 2:56 PM
This is what worked for me - - -
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 10/18/12 4:21 PM
Straight up 'Thank' 'You' for your 'Time' in giving your reply and advise :) I've been with another browser since the Chrome Spellcheck crashed and refuse to go back until 'Chrome Spellcheck' is once again a luxury that comes 'With' the browser, I mean really in my opinion users in this Day and age should not have to 'Fix' a Spellcheck 'Service' :)

Again 'Thank 'You' :)

Re: Spell Check not working pepet 10/18/12 5:51 PM
Yea, I am working with the online checker for a few days now, its.....I don't know, maybe OK. The thing I am afraid about is that some words are not selected as wrong, so I need to constantly check the words.

Thanks for the info though!

Have a nice one!

Re: Spell Check not working Lizzy Wood 10/18/12 9:50 PM
I have several times clicked the spell check box and unchecked it. So far no difference...
Re: Spell Check not working Kat Chic 10/19/12 5:41 AM
there is no red line no where it doesn't show up what's up with that?
Re: Spell Check not working Kat Chic 10/19/12 5:47 AM
thank you i agree what browser are you using b/c I"m really mad about this, its stupid.
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 10/19/12 3:07 PM
Firefox, its way cool, easy to nav, ever so slightly slower and YES the inbuilt Spellcheck works as it should = 'Brilliant' :)
Re: Spell Check not working RonnieChromeExpert 10/20/12 5:40 PM
Make sure this box is checked: "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors", check that you have "Enable spell checking" selected for English.

If you hadn't:

Click on the Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > Languages > Languages and spell-checker settings > (see if the box is selected; if it is not, check it)

Hope it works,
Ronnie

RonnieChromeExpert

Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 10/22/12 9:21 PM
I've tried checking and unchecking that option and it still doesn't work for me.
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 10/23/12 9:25 AM
@Toholio, can you let us know your operating system and Chrome version?
When you type an incorrectly spelled word, do you see the red underline? Or is this missing?
If you do see the red underline, simply right click on the word to get spelling suggestions. There is no need to select/highlight the red underlined word before right clicking.
Re: Spell Check not working Lorraine Leaf 10/23/12 4:19 PM
same here my spell check stopped working
Re: Spell Check not working Lorraine Leaf 10/23/12 4:22 PM
so dud I ...lolol  it just stopped I never changed any of my settings..ded check & uncheck box and stiil nuthin..
Re: Spell Check not working Michael Ntamoulakis 10/23/12 8:46 PM
my spell checking problem was solved (wrong word are red underlined) but when i right click the word it doesn't suggest other words for correction (like it did before)!
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 10/23/12 9:12 PM
...........Again thank you for a reply HOWEVER i will continue to refuse to use Chrome until the 'Spellcheck' is working how it should i.e by its self NOT because a 'User' had to manual adjustments, that's simply old school and Firefox is behaving itself quite nicely, Cheers :)
Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 10/25/12 4:13 PM
@Sie_Deen

I'm using:
* Windows 7.
* Chrome 22.0.1229.94 m.

I do not get a red underline regardless of how the "Check the spelling of text fields" option is set or how the "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" is set.

Re: Spell Check not working Kathy Ries 10/26/12 5:34 AM
I have always had both the Languages and spell-checker settings & the "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked.  I looked just to make sure someone didn't change them.  They are both still checked.  It worked before but no longr spell checks in facebook or hotmail.  Loved Google Chrome because of the spell checking.  What can I do now!
Re: Spell Check not working caver_tim 10/26/12 6:21 AM
kathy, try unticking "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors"
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 10/26/12 10:57 AM
@Toholio, does the same issue also occur in you are in an Incognito window?
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 10/26/12 2:07 PM
Ive been using Firefox ever since the Chrome spellcheck crashed......Both browsers are virtually the same these Days give or take a milli second.............O_o aint so bad when spellcheck actually works like it should :)
Re: Spell Check not working caver_tim 10/26/12 2:15 PM
zeekat - i assume that you have 1) unticked "use a web service to help resolve spelling" and 2) checked that spell checking is actually turned on?
Re: Spell Check not working Adam Stinnett 10/27/12 5:22 AM
I noticed as well that my spell check doesn't offer suggestions any more. I changed the settings you suggested and still no change. I've fiddled around with different settings but nothing has worked. Hope this is fixed. If any additional info is needed that would help you solve the issue just ask. Version is 22.0.1229.94 m
(unknown) 10/28/12 1:17 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 10/29/12 9:56 AM
@Adam Stinnett, this issue has been fixed for a while now, so I'm wondering if you are seeing a different issue. 
If you are seeing the red underline, make sure to simply right click on the underlined word. You do not have to highlight/select the red underlined word first.

If you do not even see red underlines for incorrectly spelled words, can you try the following:
  • In an Incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N), do you get red underlines for incorrectly spelled words?
  • Try creating a new Chrome user (Chrome menu > Settings > User > Add new user). In the new browser window, do you get red underlines?
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 10/29/12 4:14 PM
------------>'Drum Roll' followed by a MeXiCaN wAvE for you Sie_Deen ;) It has taken 'You' a 'Genius' to alert Chrome users that since the update to chrome several weeks ago users no longer need to highlight the spelling error as a simple right click causes 'Activation' :) -WOW- with NO THANKS to the tech team behind Chrome for explaining this simple tweak in regards to operation........Again 'THANK' 'YOU' Sie_Deen I can now, once again, use Chrome effectively :) 'Shine On' :)
Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 10/30/12 7:24 PM
@Sie_Deen I opened an incognito window and started typing badly. The red squiggle appeared under a few words then went away again. If I hadn’t been looking at the screen while I typed I would have missed it entirely. Nothing in the right click menu either.

Now when I start an incognito window it doesn't appear at all.
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 10/31/12 9:41 AM
@Toholio, you may have already tried this, but if you have not can you give the following a try:
Create a new Chrome user (Chrome menu > Settings > Users > Add new user), and let us know if the red underline still disappears after a couple of seconds.

Did you add any extensions, other programs around the time that this issue started for you? 
Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 10/31/12 3:37 PM
@Sie_Deen A new user doesn't work either, not even for a few seconds or when using an incognito window.

This started happening on a new machine (complete fresh install of the OS). When I installed Chrome and signed in it automatically installed AdBlock and FlashBlock. Disabling those doesn't seem to make a difference.

Re: Spell Check not working Adam Stinnett 11/1/12 8:21 AM
Ok, it seems that it doesn't give suggestions if you underline the word, only if you right click within the word does it give you suggestions. Odd. I guess it works then. Thanks!
Re: Spell Check not working dardata 11/13/12 8:42 AM
Big Thanks! I spent two days trying to resolve this. I use to be able to highlight then right click to get the contextual menu but like you said right click only works!
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 11/13/12 1:25 PM
narr, I left the settings as is............IMO a user should NOT have to play with settings in this Day and age, especially for something like a built in Spellcheck, Cheers :)
Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 11/15/12 2:30 PM
Has there been any updates on this? It's getting pretty annoying.
Re: Spell Check not working Adam Stinnett 11/15/12 3:36 PM
Yes. It used to work by highlighting the word and then right clicking would give you suggestions. It no longer does this when you highlight the word. You now only need to click in the middle of the word (WITHOUT highlighting it) and right click and it should offer suggestions again.
Re: Spell Check not working Lidador 11/16/12 10:57 PM
Damn, spent one hour around this! I used to highlight the word! I guess A LOT of people will be complaining...
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 11/17/12 2:08 PM
I know right, zif ya wouldnt post an 'Update' on function change........O_o
Re: Spell Check not working ragen 11/18/12 9:18 AM
just right click the word without highlighting
Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 11/18/12 2:37 PM
Since all we're getting in here now is people repeating the same irrelevant advice to not highlight misspelt words, I've started a new conversation: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chrome/report-a-problem-and-get-troubleshooting-help/windows/NveEMYlJfTE
Re: Spell Check not working han12345 11/19/12 4:31 AM
Still spell check is not working after changing the privacy setting. This is the issue is only on one machine where chrome is newly installed. My other machines are correctly running this application.
Re: Spell Check not working ITALIANNYC 11/19/12 12:16 PM
I figured out how to get spell check back.

Type this in your browser and then press enter

chrome://flags/

Go down to Force Synchronous Spellchecking and click enable

Restart browser.

Its fixed

Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 11/19/12 2:35 PM
Thank you ITALIANNYC, that worked!

I don't get the red underline but I do now get suggestions again.

Re: Spell Check not working han12345 11/20/12 9:57 PM
Dear:
        Its still not working. One surprise thing is I have reinstall the chrome. But no benefit. waiting for a suggestion that can work.
Re: Spell Check not working ITALIANNYC 11/20/12 11:07 PM
Are you sure you did everything I wrote? Thats weird that it wont work for you.
Re: Spell Check not working zeekat 11/21/12 2:58 AM
Don't highlight the spelling error, just right click.........
Re: Spell Check not working han12345 11/21/12 3:21 AM
Yes I did every thing you said but chrome is still showing the same behaviour...
I don't know why even after re installation. Even I change my antivirus and scan my whole machine......
Re: Spell Check not working smithandcompanypainting 11/22/12 8:34 AM
I tried all the work a rounds and I still cant make the spell check work while I'm typing in an email in my gmail account.  The little red line shows up instantly while I'm typing this message though!!  It just isn't working while I type emails.  Is there anything I can do differently?
Re: Spell Check not working Haruhuani Spruce 11/24/12 8:12 AM
I am having the same problem for the past week or two.  Did all the stuff mentioned above except re-install (several peopole say they tried that and it did not help).  Sounds like we need a tech with some real advice here.  HELP!
Re: Spell Check not working John M5 11/25/12 9:20 AM
I was having this problem until I came here,all fixed now I just right click on the word and BINGO suggestions pop up,thank you.
Re: Spell Check not working Ctchrisf 11/27/12 2:15 PM
I just unchecked use web service. but that was before this build. I have enable spell checker checked. this has been fixed for me for months now.
Re: Spell Check not working JMarkSt 11/28/12 10:32 AM
Using the beta build of Chrome on Windows the spell checker is not working (no red line) with or without the web server option checked.  Any other workaround to get the red line back?
Re: Spell Check not working drobbo 11/29/12 8:52 AM
I had the same problem and I think I fixed it by fluke.. here is what I did.

1. Opened a new email in gmail
2. Type an incorrectly spelled word
3. Right click it > Spell Check Option > Select a different language (I changed from English UK to English US)
4. I then noticed the red line appear under the word
5. Restart browser

It works but there is a PROBLEM. The spell check will work with English US but if you change the settings back to English UK and then restart your browser: the spell check stops working again. It seems you have to keep it in English US.

Hopefully Google will resolve this problem so I can change the language back to English UK.

Good luck.

Re: Spell Check not working Miral_ 11/29/12 9:31 AM
I'm on Version 24.0.1312.25 beta-m and it's broken for me again, the last time being when the bug appeared in September. Using UK-English so maybe that's where the bug lies. In fact I just changed over to US-English and my spellchecker is suddenly working again. No restarting/anything just changed it in the middle of typing this.

The bug seems to be with the English-UK language setting. This is slightly annoying considering I'm in the UK.

Re: Spell Check not working caver_tim 11/30/12 12:49 AM
Odd. Its working for me
colour colour colour

Re: Spell Check not working JMarkSt 11/30/12 4:29 AM
If you have set language to US then colour should be underlined as a spelling mistake - if it isn't then you either have it set to UK or it is not working - if you enter color and colour one or the other should be underlined.
Re: Spell Check not working caver_tim 11/30/12 4:41 AM
yes that was my point. I'm in the UK with a UK spell checker. Colour is not underlined. Color is.
so for me the spell check in UK English is working. So if its not working for you, we need to work out what is set in your copy of chrome to make it not work, or remove UK english as a language and readd it to see if there is a corrupt dictionary somewhere that';s causing the fault.
Re: Spell Check not working JMarkSt 11/30/12 4:59 AM
Thanks for the clarification - glad it is working for you - I've not tried removing UK English - and re-adding it - are you using the beta version?
Re: Spell Check not working caver_tim 11/30/12 5:06 AM
nope, stable.
Re: Spell Check not working Sie_Deen 11/30/12 9:21 AM
Hey folks,

For those of you who used to select/highlight the red underlined word first before right clicking, we are working to re-enable the feature. If you are interested in following along on the progress, you can click the star next to the issue number on our public issue tracker here. 

In the meantime, please note that the feature works if you skip the select/highlight step, and just right click on the red underlined word.
Re: Spell Check not working JMarkSt 11/30/12 10:03 AM
Hi Sie Deen,

In my case the issue is not related to hi-lighting the word, but the lack of ANY underlining at all when the UK English language is chosen.  Words mis-spelt just do not get flagged.  Not exactly sure when it stopped working correctly, but is faulty in the current beta version.
Re: Spell Check not working Stepan Arkadyevich Oblonsky 11/30/12 3:04 PM
I have the same issue, misspelt words are not even underlined. Chrome 24.0.1312.27 beta-m / win7 / UK - English
Re: Spell Check not working ADITYA DARP 11/30/12 3:18 PM
Seems to be the problem with the beta version. I un-installed beta and installed the stable release from "https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/". Now my British English dictionary and spell-check are working perfectly.
Re: Spell Check not working MrDragon 12/2/12 1:23 PM
I can also agree that the Chrome spell checker is broken in the latest Beta updates.

Version 24.0.1312.27 beta-m

Re: Spell Check not working audi4444player 12/3/12 5:07 AM
On Monday, December 3, 2012 7:53:46 AM UTC+10:30, MrDragon wrote:
> I can also agree that the Chrome spell checker is broken in the latest Beta updates.
>
> Version 24.0.1312.27 beta-m

Thank you, I just updated to this version and was wondering why it had stopped working, if it's just this version I can wait for the next update, I'm not dependant on it, although when I cant tell if a word looks right, it's a little disconcerting and annoying that i have to look it up.

Re: Spell Check not working audi4444player 12/3/12 5:12 AM
*dependent, wrong word spell checker wouldn't have picked it up but lol, the irony .
Re: Spell Check not working chrisycp 12/3/12 5:55 AM
Hi,
Spell check isn't working for me either.  Also, the blue highlight color doesn't come up when I try to highlight text.  It still performs all of the copy/paste functions, just without the blue highlight--which makes it really difficult to copy/paste.
Re: Spell Check not working Paul Stevenson 12/4/12 11:40 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU

That is all I needed to know. I kept trying to do the right click to see the corrected words and it didn't work anymore, all I had to do was right click without highlighting.

Re: Spell Check not working spell checker 12/5/12 2:10 PM
I do not have "use web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked and it dont' work. Yes my settings are set to English US. I checked, unchecked it, refreshed nothing is working. It's a super pain in the butt not to be able to right click and have a list of suggested words with the correct speelling. I'm using Firefox solely bc of this reason.
Re: Spell Check not working Russ Underhill 12/6/12 1:01 AM
Yep, that's what sorted mine as well.
Re: Spell Check not working JMarkSt 12/6/12 3:34 AM
Tried changing to US English - spell checker works but obviously a few problems, but changing back to UK English breaks it again, so not fixed yet in latest beta, unless there is some way of 'resetting'  the UK dictionary?
Re: Spell Check not working Paul Stevenson 12/6/12 8:23 AM
You don't have to highlight the incorrect word. Simple right click the word that is spelled wrong and the list will pop up like normal. Please read the thread next time.
Re: Spell Check not working jose aldana 12/6/12 12:16 PM
How can I make my spell check to work very time I need it?
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/6/12 1:49 PM
We've recently fixed a UK English spellcheck issue (http://crbug.com/163509). It should work now.
Re: Spell Check not working Toholio 12/6/12 3:32 PM
It now works for me using U.K. English. I had to also disable asynchronous spell checking.

The Australian English dictionary is still broken.

Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/6/12 3:57 PM
Switching to Australian English might not take affect until restarting the browser (including closing the system tray icon). There's a fix in the works for that (http://crbug.com/164485), but I am not sure that's what you're experiencing...
(unknown) 12/6/12 4:27 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working itsbex 12/6/12 8:55 PM
I'm using Google Chrome Canary, at the beginning of the week I stopped getting suggestions for misspelled words. I followed your suggestions but it only comes up with languages, I have no 'spell-checker' settings. It's getting pretty frustrating to be honest!
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/6/12 11:18 PM
itsbex: What is your OS? Which language are you using for spellchecking?
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/6/12 11:21 PM
Itsbex: Since you're on Canary, your issue might have been this: http://crbug.com/164562. The fix should be in the next Canary update, which is almost daily.
Re: Spell Check not working itsbex 12/9/12 2:36 PM
I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.8, I'm pretty sure my spell check language is English (UK) alternatively it would be English (Australian). I've checked out the link to the other issue you mentioned and have left similar details there.

I've checked this morning and the spelling suggestions are still not coming up, do I need to uninstall or perform an update?

Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/9/12 2:54 PM
What is your chrome version (form chrome://chrome)?
Re: Spell Check not working itsbex 12/9/12 3:08 PM
Version 25.0.1351.0 canary
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/9/12 5:49 PM
It has been fixed in 25.0.1352.0. Please upgrade. :)
(unknown) 12/9/12 5:50 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Spell Check not working NSpector 12/23/12 8:34 AM
Same problem for me for past week or so.  Just tried unchecking "Use a web service tohelp resolve spelling errors."  Did not work for me.  
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/23/12 12:27 PM
NSpector: Could you provide more details, please? OS type, Chrome version, language settings, steps to encounter the error, expected behavior vs actual behavior, etc.
Re: Spell Check not working Sadaf Hussain 12/25/12 5:48 AM
Where do i get that verion from?Version 23.0.1271.97 m
Google Chrome is up to date.
Google Chrome
Copyright © 2006-2012 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Google Chrome is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.
Google Chrome Terms of Service
i did upgraded & this appeared. problem stillnot fixed, what do i do?
Re: Spell Check not working NSpector 12/25/12 3:08 PM
Hi, yes, I'll do my best.  I'm not techie at all :o tho: It's a Chromebook by Samsung, model# XE500C21-A04US, Dec. 2011. So that's Google Chrome OS, yes? It's set to "English."  

About two weeks ago, my spell check just disappeared without me changing anything, not that I was aware of, anyway.  As I said on the 23rd, I tried unchecking "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors," but that did not fix the problem for me.

Thanks.  

Re: Spell Check not working Joseph Church 12/26/12 6:08 AM
Try this.. :"Uncheck" use web service to spell check.. then update google chrome :
http://tips4pc.com/computer_tips_and_tricks/how-to-update-google-chrome-to-the-latest-version.htm

Then re-check use web service to spell check that is what I did and it worked.
For some reason there was a glitch in the last update for google chrome where it disabled spell check.. Hope it works

Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 12/26/12 9:04 AM
NSpector: Yes, Samsung Chromebook has Google Chrome OS. As far as I know, "English" cannot be used for spellchecking, because you need to select one of "English (US)", "English (UK)", "English (Australia)", or "English (Canada)". Once you select one of these, you need to click on "Use this language for spellchecking" button.
Re: Spell Check not working NSpector 12/30/12 8:25 PM
Hi, yes, it is set to "English (US)".   It says "Chrome OS is displayed in this language.This language is used for spell checking"  But there's no button I see to click for that; it's just there.  Then, under "Imput method" is checked  "US keyboard."  Should it be one of the other US choices?  I still have no spell check.  
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/1/13 12:09 PM
NSpector: Your settings appear to be correct. When you type words in the textbox for replying here, do you see red underlines for misspelled words? 
Re: Spell Check not working NSpector 1/6/13 10:07 AM
UPDATE: Ok, now, for no reason that I know -- I did not change any other settings -- it IS now underlining red for misspelled words.  However, still not giving me options for correct spelling.  When I right click, it goes to the dropdown menu with "Spell-check options" and I can click on "Check the spelling of text fields," but I still do not get any options.  I have to goggle the word to find correct spelling.  
NSpector
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/7/13 9:45 AM
NSpector: Make sure that you are not highlighting the word before right-clicking on it. Also, what version of chrome are you running? (You can find that information if you navigate to chrome://chrome.)
Re: Spell Check not working NSpector 1/8/13 3:59 PM
Hi.  I'm answering in gmail, but my answers, at least the last two, are not getting here.  Anyway: Yes! It does work, at least for this moment, if I do not highlight the word.  Huh.  Had to highlight in the past.  I believe.  Or, if not "had to," highlighting did not make it not work.  Hm.  Anyway, thank you very much.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/8/13 4:05 PM
Great to hear it works, NSpector! You have encountered a bug that will be fixed in the upcoming releases of Chrome.
Re: Spell Check not working Ddrescher 1/8/13 6:43 PM
Worked. Thank you. Why is not checked by default>
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/8/13 7:38 PM
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:43:37 PM UTC-8, Ddrescher wrote:
Why is not checked by default>

Ddrescher: Could you clarify your question, please?
Re: Spell Check not working Ashhar Lodhi 1/17/13 10:58 PM
Dear Sie,
Please find the screen shot. Spell Check is not working.
Version 24.0.1312.52 m
WIndow Vista.
Dual 2 Core 2.2
Ram 3 GB
Re: Spell Check not working m garfin 1/18/13 7:58 AM
I updated a couple of days ago and spell chek went deed in so frustrated

no red underline in forums, gmail, comments.

windows XP
Version 24.0.1312.52 m

Re: Spell Check not working m garfin 1/18/13 8:01 AM
I updated a couple of days ago and spell chek went deed in so frustrated
no red underline in forums, gmail, comments.

I tried on checking web thing, but did not help.

windows XP
Version 24.0.1312.52 m

Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/18/13 9:17 AM
On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 5:48:23 AM UTC-8, Sadaf Hussain wrote:
Where do i get that verion from?Version 23.0.1271.97 m
Google Chrome is up to date.
i did upgraded & this appeared. problem stillnot fixed, what do i do?

Sadaf: The version that I recommended for Itsbex is for the Canary channel of Chrome. You are on stable channel, and so that version will not be available to you for several months. I think this thread has gotten too long to keep track of everyone's different issues. If you are still encountering problems, then please start a new thread, where we can take a closer look at your specific issue.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/18/13 9:23 AM
Ashhar:  There has been a couple reports of dictionary download being slow after upgrading to Chrome 24 (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=170656). The workaround at this moment is to download http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/chrome/dict/en-US-2-4.bdic, place the file in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\en-US-2-4.bdic, then restart Chrome completely. If the issue still persists, please start a new thread with your particular problem description. This thread has many different problems which require different answers.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/18/13 9:28 AM
Garfin: There has been a couple reports of dictionary download being slow after upgrading to Chrome 24 (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=170656). The workaround at this moment is to download http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/chrome/dict/ens-US-2-4.bdic, place the file in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\, then restart Chrome completely. If the issue still persists, please start a new thread with your particular problem description. This thread has many different problems which require different answers. It would be easier to look into each problem on separate threads.
Re: Spell Check not working John M5 1/18/13 11:19 AM
I get the red underline if I highlight it,it gives no spell options if I move the cursor over the word then click spell options come up.before I had to highlight it which was where I was going wrong,now its working just fine.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/18/13 11:26 AM
On Friday, January 18, 2013 11:19:51 AM UTC-8, John M5 wrote:
I get the red underline if I highlight it,it gives no spell options if I move the cursor over the word then click spell options come up.before I had to highlight it which was where I was going wrong,now its working just fine.
John: Thank you for letting us know. We are working on making this experience more intuitive.  
Re: Spell Check not working Shuvz 1/19/13 12:45 PM
same here :(
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/19/13 12:49 PM
On Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:54:07 AM UTC-8, Kimberly Sandhoff wrote:
I unchecked "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" and the red line still does not appear.

Kimberly: Please copy the information from chrome://version/ and paste it here. This will help me to figure out what's happening.  
Re: Spell Check not working Shuvz 1/19/13 12:55 PM
Google Chrome        24.0.1312.52 (Official Build 175374) m
OS        Windows
WebKit        537.17 (@138969)
JavaScript        V8 3.14.5.3
Flash        11.5.31.137
User Agent        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1312.52 Safari/537.17
Command Line        "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -servername:defaultbrowserserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
Executable Path        C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Profile Path        C:\Users\Shuvo\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
Variations        5666f941-fd526c81
ef3af165-80f9a33e
b03ddc1f-80f9a33e
4dcb0cd6-d31c4ca1
9d5bce6-30d7d8ac
f9b252d0-fd526c81
3664a344-be9e69ba
6b981c71-4ad60575
ccee547a-766fa2d
571ffcab-766fa2d
60f3499f-766fa2d
76b86d80-766fa2d
ffbe45b6-dbbd7415
75f7fb7e-766fa2d
24dca50e-837c4893
ca65a9fe-91ac3782
9c097cbc-d00c3f8d
3028188e-d60b5a5f
df910896-3d47f4f4
5a3c10b5-e1cc0f14
244ca1ac-4ad60575
246fb659-6754d7b7
f296190c-bd104136
4442aae2-d7f6b13c
75f0f0a0-e1cc0f14
e2b18481-3a9ae350
e7e71889-4ad60575
980cfc4b-7fb74f1c
Re: Spell Check not working Kimberly Sandhoff 1/19/13 12:55 PM
Version 24.0.1312.52 m
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/19/13 5:27 PM
Kimberly and Shuvz: There have been several reports of dictionary download being slow after upgrading to Chrome 24. The workaround at this moment is to download http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/chrome/dict/ens-US-2-4.bdic, place the file in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\, then restart Chrome completely. Please let me know if this works.
Re: Spell Check not working m garfin 1/19/13 7:12 PM
this file/link (http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/chrome/dict/ens-US-2-4.bdic) does not open I get an oops
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/19/13 9:00 PM
On Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:12:22 PM UTC-8, m garfin wrote:
this file/link (http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/chrome/dict/ens-US-2-4.bdic) does not open I get an oops

Garfin: Are you are at work? Your corporate firewall could be blocking the dictionary download website. In that case, please talk to your network administrator.

Some countries that block YouTube can also block the dictionary download website. 

If you are not at work and not in a country that blocks Google services, then your home firewall/web-filter could be blocking the download.

Please let me know which one of this situations applies to you, Garfin. That will help us to figure out the right solution.
Re: Spell Check not working Kimberly Sandhoff 1/20/13 4:27 AM
I realized last night that I am only having this issue on my PC at work.  I was able to download the link at home, but at work I get the "oops" error message. I would assume this is due to firewall here. Our IT here unfortunately doesn't support Chrome though, so this work around will not work for me.  
Re: Spell Check not working Tressa M 1/20/13 12:05 PM
I'm not even getting a red underline - I have followed the steps listed earlier and the proper boxes are checked and unchecked.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/20/13 1:43 PM
On Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:12:22 PM UTC-8, m garfin wrote:

Garfin: I made a typo, sorry. The language-region name is en-US, not ens-US. That means the file is http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/chrome/dict/en-US-2-4.bdic. Can you download it now? 
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/20/13 1:43 PM
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 4:27:07 AM UTC-8, Kimberly Sandhoff wrote:
I realized last night that I am only having this issue on my PC at work.  I was able to download the link at home, but at work I get the "oops" error message. I would assume this is due to firewall here. Our IT here unfortunately doesn't support Chrome though, so this work around will not work for me.  

Kimberly: Unfortunately, Chrome needs to download http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/chrome/dict/en-US-2-4.bdic for spell check. If you can download the file at home, then maybe you could e-mail the file to yourself at work? Place the file in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\ on your computer at work, then restart Chrome completely.
Re: Spell Check not working m garfin 1/20/13 1:50 PM
no
and I dont get a firewall message as other things get
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/20/13 1:57 PM
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:50:42 PM UTC-8, m garfin wrote:
no
and I dont get a firewall message as other things get

Garfin: From your answers, I gather that this issue happens on your home computer and that you live in a country that does not block Google services. (Please correct me if I am wrong.) As a last resort, which I do not recommend to anyone, can you please try to download the file from http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/deps/third_party/hunspell_dictionaries/en-US-2-4.bdic ? This location is not permanent, though. That's why I don't recommend you to use it.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/20/13 1:59 PM
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:05:14 PM UTC-8, Tressa M wrote:
I'm not even getting a red underline - I have followed the steps listed earlier and the proper boxes are checked and unchecked.

Tressa: I wrote earlier that this issue could be due to slow download of the spell check dictionary. Depending on your connection speed, Chrome downloads the dictionary within several seconds to several hours after upgrading from version 23 to version 24. In some people's cases, however, the download has been blocked by their firewall at work or in their country. Are you observing this issue at your work place, or at home?
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/20/13 2:02 PM
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:32:37 PM UTC-8, Neal Gray wrote:
I can highlight the red underlined word but get no options.

Neal: In some versions of Chrome, spell check will not show suggestions if you highlight the misspelled word. Please try right-clicking on the misspelled word without highlighting it. Does that work? (This issue will be fixed in the upcoming versions of Chrome.) 
Re: Spell Check not working m garfin 1/20/13 2:08 PM
got it and where do i but it?
Re: Spell Check not working m garfin 1/20/13 2:08 PM
got it and where do i put it?
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/20/13 2:22 PM
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:08:54 PM UTC-8, m garfin wrote:
got it and where do i put it?

Garfin: 
  1. Exit Google Chrome completely.
  2. Enter the keyboard shortcut Windows key  +E to open Windows Explorer.
  3. In the Windows Explorer window that appears enter the following in the address bar and press Enter.
    • Windows XP%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\
    • Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\
  4. Place en-US-2-4.bdic file in this folder.
  5. Start Chrome again: spell check should work now.
(Thank you, Craig Long, for providing this awesome instruction template.)
Re: Spell Check not working m garfin 1/20/13 2:26 PM
It"s up and running

than x Google is the best  

Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/20/13 2:34 PM
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:21:01 PM UTC-8, m garfin wrote:
worked
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:26:50 PM UTC-8, m garfin wrote:
It"s up and running

than x Google is the best  

Garfin: I am happy that spell check works for you now. I hope that we can improve Chrome so that we will not hit such snags in the future. 
Re: Spell Check not working Shuvz 1/21/13 7:55 PM
Thank you very much :D its now working :D
Re: Spell Check not working dragonflywhispers06 1/23/13 8:25 AM
didn't work for me, file is already there :(
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 1/23/13 10:15 AM
dragonflywhispers06: You may want to post a new question with your details. I need the following information to help you: (1) all information from chrome://version, (2) what OS are you running, (3) which language says "This language is used for spell checking" in chrome://settings/languages. 
Re: Spell Check not working bertdanger 2/19/13 5:21 PM
spell check finds the mispelled words but gives NO SUGGESTIONS on how to spell it. It is insane!
Re: Spell Check not working bertdanger 2/19/13 5:25 PM
OMG! I finally figured out the problem. I have been highlighting the underline words so spell check was not working. People, just right click on red underlined word and Chrome gives you the suggestions. I cannot believe that SO MANY 100s of people have been on these forums with the same problem and nobody answered it as I have done. Google, get it together and use some common sense when it comes to designing something and not giving proper help menu direction. 
Re: Spell Check not working dragonflywhispers06 2/20/13 3:12 AM
Nope, not for me, tried this a long time ago.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 3/12/13 8:58 AM
Ludwig: Check the troubleshooting steps here: http://productforums.google.com/d/msg/chrome/1xmXR7vq5to/wl5egFaMc3wJ
Re: Spell Check not working Percy. Hood 4/3/13 7:21 AM
Mine not working either. Get the following message.
"Unable to connect to Google spelling servers. Please check internet connection and try again."
The fact I am emailing you, suggests my connection is OK.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 4/3/13 10:18 AM
 Percy: Could you please provide a screenshot of this error message? 
Re: Spell Check not working bellavintage 4/3/13 3:47 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. It has a red circle with a white X in the middle of it. It says Unable to connect with Google spell check servers. Please check internet connections. My internet is fine but google spell check not working.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 4/3/13 4:14 PM
On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:47:23 PM UTC-7, bellavintage wrote:
Mine is doing the same thing. It has a red circle with a white X in the middle of it. It says Unable to connect with Google spell check servers. Please check internet connections. My internet is fine but google spell check not working.

bellavintage: Could you provide a screenshot of the issue please? 
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 4/4/13 3:15 PM
On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:47:23 PM UTC-7, bellavintage wrote:

There is a bug report at https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=226797 that describes your issue. Please "star" the bug report to be notified of status updates. 
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 4/4/13 3:46 PM
We've notified the appropriate parties and the issue will be taken care of. (The link is wrong, sorry.)  
Re: Spell Check not working silver chick 4/4/13 5:30 PM
I'm not using Google Chrome ...my spell checker went down today - I uninstalled the toolbar then reinstalled - still not working "cannot connect to spell check server, please check your internet connection" it says ...hope this doesn't last too long
Re: Spell Check not working Joni Shepherd 4/4/13 10:43 PM
My spell check stopped working yesterday. Help I'm not good with spelling!!!!
Re: Spell Check not working Debra Gilstrap 4/7/13 12:00 PM
My spellcheck is not working and I didn't change anything before this happened it just stopped working please fix.  I have went through all of the steps to fix it but it's still not working.
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 4/8/13 9:16 AM
On Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:30:44 PM UTC-7, silver chick wrote:
I'm not using Google Chrome ...my spell checker went down today - I uninstalled the toolbar then reinstalled - still not working "cannot connect to spell check server, please check your internet connection" it says ...hope this doesn't last too long

The spellcheck should be fixed in Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. If you're still experiencing the problem, please make sure that you have the latest version of Google Toolbar installed. The easiest way to get the newest version is to re-install the toolbar. Good luck!  
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 4/8/13 9:17 AM
On Thursday, April 4, 2013 10:43:02 PM UTC-7, Joni Shepherd wrote:
My spell check stopped working yesterday. Help I'm not good with spelling!!!!

Joni: Are you using Google Chrome or Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer? 
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 4/8/13 9:19 AM
On Sunday, April 7, 2013 12:00:06 PM UTC-7, Debra Gilstrap wrote:
My spellcheck is not working and I didn't change anything before this happened it just stopped working please fix.  I have went through all of the steps to fix it but it's still not working.

Debra: Are you using Google Chrome or Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer? 
Re: Spell Check not working JustinKSU 4/19/13 5:38 AM
I had the same problem, because Chrome was unable to download the latest dictionary.  If you go to Chrome menu > Settings > click on Show advanced settings > Languages you might see an error message saying that the dictionary could not be downloaded.  Hit Retry when you have internet connectivity and it should work.

For me, I had blocked some IP addresses used by Google to improve my YouTube performance.  I had to disable these rules for the download to work.

Re: Spell Check not working mike hardage 4/24/13 6:12 AM
it's part of the dumbing down of america.  the government is spraying us with
aluminum with chemtrails supposedly to fix global warming.  the aluminum is
destroying our memory of how to even spell our own names so we need spell check.  younger generations
never learn how to spell so it doesn't matter for them.....so here we are,
old and in the way....but ' hanging in there'...btw they need to add a setting label...'babble' to everything connected with computers
Re: Spell Check not working Alicia Cordova 4/25/13 12:20 PM
That worked for me. Thanks!
Re: Spell Check not working HamXa Siddiqui 5/15/13 4:08 AM
My chrome says Dictonary failed!
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 5/15/13 10:54 AM
On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:08:38 AM UTC-7, HamXa Siddiqui wrote:
My chrome says Dictonary failed!

Re: Spell Check not working imranQadri 5/15/13 11:53 PM
There is no need to download the spell checking dictionaries now, you just have to enable the following option under privacy settings;

Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors

Re: Spell Check not working Michael Howe 7/5/13 3:39 PM
I had the same problem... but I've just solved it by "right clicking" the mouse on a text box and selecting "spell-checker options" then selecting "Check the spelling of text fields"!

I hope this helps some people!

Re: Spell Check not working azhar and sons 7/7/13 10:20 PM
please tel me a Solution .When I compose /type the massage my  page not check the sapling . Please tell me method to solve the problem .
Re: Spell Check not working Carmela Portelli 8/10/13 7:53 AM
I thought I was the only one, but I see that I not.  since chrome I have no spell check please let me know in step by step how to get it back. Please HELP.  CARMEN
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 8/10/13 12:08 PM
Hi Carmela,

Please see this help page for information on how to turn on or turn off spell check in Chrome. Please let me know how it goes. Good luck!

Cheers,
Rouslan
Re: Spell Check not working Sandra Kiesel 8/21/13 6:43 AM
Hi Sie,

When I now compose email, my misspelled words are underlined in red.  When I right click on them it pulls up a menu with the suggestions but when I left or right click on them, it closes the window but does not correct the word.  To correct, I have to use the spell checker.  

It is a real pain because it takes more time.... and I am a bad typist, I type fast but not accurate.  Interesting it works just fine here, just not in my new compose window.  

On a different topic, I use my gmail box for both business and personal.  I have several boxes that integrate into my gmail box and when I send things I send from different email addresses.  In the old window it was an easy drop down.  Now inthe new box itis an extra click to pull up the boxes and then click.  Just takes more time and none of us have enough of that resource.  

Also, the right click preview feature has been eliminated so now all emails have to be opened.  Again taking more time.  

Please look for ways to make us more efficient instead of less.  It is huge when already working 16 hour days!!!

Thanks for the help.

Re: Spell Check not working Justice Marvell 8/23/13 2:21 AM
hello, i have been facing an issue that my chrome shows spelling mistakes underlined with light black or grey color which is difficult to notice, i was hoping someone could tell me how to turn that into red color? Please share here or send me email at kamra...@yahoo.com
Re: Spell Check not working Rouslan Solomakhin 8/23/13 7:29 AM
On Friday, August 23, 2013 2:21:25 AM UTC-7, Justice Marvell wrote:
hello, i have been facing an issue that my chrome shows spelling mistakes underlined with light black or grey color which is difficult to notice, i was hoping someone could tell me how to turn that into red color? Please share here or send me email at kamra...@yahoo.com

As far as I know, there's no way to turn the grey underlines into red underlines, sorry. The grey underlines are for grammatical or contextual mistakes. For example, you can write "one by won", but it makes more sense to  say "one by one". The spellchecker will underline "won" in grey. One thing that you can do is turn off contextual error checking entirely. This will remove the grey underlines, but keep the red underlines. However, Chrome will not show any contextual spellcheck errors. 
Re: Spell Check not working okiti spell 9/2/13 1:41 PM
if you are out there passing through any of this
problems listed below:
1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) How you been scammed and you want to
recover you lost money.email: okiti...@gmail.com
Re: Spell Check not working harpa-lea 10/1/13 8:43 PM
make that 6
Re: Spell Check not working Fernando Herboso 10/2/13 7:20 AM
Thank you Sie
it worked like magic!

More topics »