Categories: Report an Issue :

Tabs not reloading on startup

Showing 1-47 of 47 messages
Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/24/12 9:00 AM
For a little more than a week now, my previously open tabs have not been reloading on startup.  Only igoogle (which is my designated homepage) comes up and the warning across the top that the page has insecure content.  I can only assume this has been occurring since the upgrade, but would like to know how to fix it.
I'm using Windows 7 and am an added user to main Chrome install (we have two separate chrome accounts).
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup wár17 § 5/24/12 9:18 AM
To open to a desire page, go to Settings page  chrome://chrome/settings/
Under On Startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages.  
Click on Set pages link and set your page.

If you have Open a specific page selected already, select any option.  Then select Open a specifice page again.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/24/12 9:29 AM
'Continue where I left off' on startup had already been selected in my settings, that's why I'm having the problem.  I did notice that I was not signed in, which is strange because all my content (bookmarks, extensions,profile picture, etc.) was there.  I have signed in, and so far, the old tabs are coming back on startup.  I'm going to give it a day to see if this fixed the issue.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/24/12 9:42 AM
Now, after restart, I'm back to the same problem, plus my chrome user account was reset to 'default' (the other user account is unchanged).
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup wár17 § 5/24/12 9:53 AM
You need to sign in for sync to work.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/24/12 10:08 AM
I am signed in now.  My problem isn't syncing, it's the restoration of my tabs on startup...
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/24/12 10:10 AM
Should I try uninstalling/reinstalling chrome?
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup wár17 § 5/24/12 10:19 AM
it takes a few minutes when your device is open for syncing to occur.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/24/12 11:31 AM
Once again, syncing was not my issue, and I'm not using a device - this is on my pc running windows 7.  Chrome was not saving and reloading my last open tabs. This was a waste of time! I uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it, setting up my user accounts again.  It seems to be working as it should now.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Lazosh 5/24/12 12:56 PM
I have also had this problem for the last week or so on my windows pc. As others have said, I also have 'Continue where I left off' selected and am signed in. I haven't changed anything else so I don't know why this has suddenly started happening. Every time I restart my computer I just get my 1 homepage tab on opening. Any other ideas?
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Sie_Deen 5/24/12 1:25 PM
@blujaded, your initial post indicated two issues. For the infobar about insecure content, please refer to this other thread. Also please let me know if there are other webpages that you see the infobar on, other than your homepage (iGoogle).

Regarding your previously open tabs not opening on startup, it sounds like you have resolved the issue. If it starts up again, please let me know what version of Chrome you are on, and if there are any specific steps that will consistently trigger it.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Sie_Deen 5/24/12 1:33 PM
@Lazosh, can you let me know about the following:
1. Type "chrome://version" in the address bar and let me know what you see.
2. Let me know what happens when you try the following:
  a. Have a couple of tabs open
  b. Go to wrench > Exit
  c. Restart Chrome, do you see the tabs that you had from step 1 open? Or just the homepage that you have specified?
3. If you create a new Chrome user (wrench > Settings > Users > Add new user), and have the same "Continue where I left off" selected for On Startup settings, does the behavior work for this new user?
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Lazosh 5/24/12 11:58 PM
@Sie_Deen

My Chrome version is: 19.0.1084.52 (Official Build 138391)

When I tried step 2, my previous open tabs did open.

I have found another thing that seems to have helped. When I went to wrench > Settings > Sign in > Advanced sync settings, the open tabs box was unselected. I am not sure how this change happened as I don't believe I had changed anything. In any case, by selecting it again, I think this has solved the issue. I will have to see when I restart my computer to be sure.

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup gambodo 5/25/12 12:30 AM
please i have this issue. i use 19.0.1084.52 (Official Build 138391) m. If i restart chrome immediately its solve but if i restart after a long time say 5 hours, the problem comes back. please any help
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/25/12 7:14 AM
I think it must have been a glitch after an update but re-installation was the solution for me.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Lazosh 5/25/12 10:05 AM
Sadly my post above does not seem to have solved the issue as my tabs have not opened again after shutdown. I will try to reinstall.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup phoenixtommy 5/25/12 5:39 PM
Me too. I usually have a couple of dozen tabs open. However, within the last couple  of weeks and all of a sudden, it open only the home page.

Yes, I have Continue Where I Left Off checked in settings. I have never changed that setting and have NEVER had this problem before, whether I shut down the computer, closed Chrome only, or crashed. Chrome always reopened with all of the previous tabs opened.

The only thing that has saved me is discovering the extension TabCloud which allows you to memorize the open tabs. However, it doesn't remember the last configuration, just the last one you memorized, so I have taken to memorizing tabs before closing. If I wasn't for it, I would be REALLY p.o.'ed.

Suggestions? Fixes? Anything?

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Alex522 5/25/12 9:16 PM
I am having the same problem. It is storing my startup pages, but they don't load when I launch Chrome. Very frustrating.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Lazosh 5/26/12 4:31 AM
Well, I've tried reinstalling now and still the same problem after shutdown and trying to open again. Very frustrating as I keep tabs open that I've been working on. Google - please sort this out!
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Nward17 5/26/12 11:07 AM
I am having a similar issue as well. Every time I open, though, it says my preferences cannot be read and I have to sign in again. I've also tried re-installing and nothing works.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Lazosh 5/28/12 9:57 AM
Mine now seems to be opening all the tabs . I'm not sure why as I didn't do anything different. Did google chrome do something to update?
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup RossW 5/29/12 7:12 PM
I am having the same problem. If i close Chrome on my PC and then re-open it, it no longer re-opens the previous tabs.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup macondo78 5/30/12 1:15 AM
Same here... Chrome 19 on Win 7 64... Pinned and opened tabs from last session are still there but are not loading. I have to click on each URL in every tab and the pages are loading correctly. Tried all possible solutions that were mentioned in various threads regarding this issue but no change... very frustrating. :(
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup blujaded 5/30/12 8:50 AM
It was working fine until this morning, I'm back to the home page again!  Another update?? :/
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup ColoradoPeonies 5/31/12 10:44 AM
@blujaded

I was having a similar problem where the tabs I had open would not be there when I restarted my computer.  I found another forum that suggested I disable Cloud Print.  My tabs are now back upon restart.

To do this click on the wrench in google chrome - settings - show advance settings - disable google cloud print connector.

I hope this is the solution to the problem you were having.

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup macondo78 5/31/12 12:50 PM
Never had Cloud Print activated... so no solution for me... :(
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup phoenixtommy 5/31/12 3:30 PM
I used Cloud Print once out of curiosity. I turned it off and restarted. All the tabs were restored as before. Not that one out of one is proof that it is the problem, but this is the only thing that was worked so far.

Thanks for the tip.

I've also been bothered at the lack of response from Google on this problem. For me, it was a major annoyance. Again, try the TabCloud extension as a tabs back-up. Without it, this would have been a VERY MAJOR annoyance.

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Kainunable 6/2/12 4:04 AM
Reinstall didn't help me. Still having the same problem. Version 19.0.1084.52. Thinking of moving back to firefox - gasp.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Lazosh 6/3/12 5:07 AM
Turning off cloudprint finally seems to have worked for me. I didn't know it was turned on
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup loni8217 6/3/12 8:16 AM
I've been having the same issues for the past week where the previously opened tabs wouldn't open when the browser was opened. I did try the uninstall/reinstall route & to no avail. I was sure to restart the computer in between & still nothing. I decided this morning to come here & see if there was anyone else w/the problem...low & behold I wasn't alone! I learned about the cloud thing this morning & turned it off, closed the browser, re-opened it & tabs were there. Then I restarted the computer to be sure, and sure enough, they were there!!! Thank you for the cloud suggestion!! That worked for me, so far! ;-)

New issue: it says in settings: Google Chrome cannot determine or set the default browser. What does this mean & how do I fix it?

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup macondo78 6/3/12 11:28 AM
I tried deactivating all extensions again now chrome seems to load all tabs correctly at startup even after restarting pc. Still i hope google will fix this issue soon since it is a big annoyance...
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup macondo78 6/4/12 9:23 AM
For me the issue is fixed so far since i deactivated my Evernote extensions... with other extensions (Adblock Plus,...) there is no problem. I guess now i have to contact Evernote to get this issue fixed. :(
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup suoiduts 6/4/12 2:56 PM
Wanted to add my experience to this topic since I see a Google employee was engaged at one point.

I'm running:

Google Chrome        20.0.1132.21 (Official Build 139451) beta-m
OS        Windows
WebKit        536.11 (@118875)
JavaScript        V8 3.10.8.11
Flash        11,3,300,250
User Agent        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/20.0.1132.21 Safari/536.11

on Windows 7 64-bit. I have tried re-installing, disabling extensions, changing setting and then changing them back, all to no avail. The setting, "On Startup Continue where I left off" works only if I close and immediately reopen Chrome. If I restart the computer, it just goes back to opening a single tab. Hoping to hear more from Google on this or see a fix soon.

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup fldcdeb 6/5/12 6:23 AM
I just want to second this. This is my experience, too. The tabs are there on a simple reopen but not after reboot (with qualification described below).

I'm running:

Google Chrome        20.0.1132.21 (Official Build 139451) beta-m
OS        Windows XP SP3

WebKit        536.11 (@118875)
JavaScript        V8 3.10.8.11
Flash        11,3,300,250
User Agent        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/536.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/20.0.1132.21 Safari/536.11

I've noticed this behavior after reboot for about 6 weeks now. I have to say that in the same time I've also noticed that some mornings I'll come to my desk only to discover that my computer has self-rebooted. Presumably, something has put itself on autoupdate, but I haven't been able to determine what it is. In any case, it is after these auto-shutdowns and self-reboots that I seem to lose my tabs. If I close down Chrome normally and reboot, I keep my tabs. I,, too, hope that Chrome will fix/explain this soon.

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup rdealiii 6/6/12 9:25 AM
Yeah, there is a problem here. I configured Chrome with 3 "On startup" pages. 2 of those are supposed to load websites, and the sites never load. The 3rd tab loads the tweetdeck extension at startup, and it loads just fine.

Google Chrome        19.0.1084.52 (Official Build 138391) m
OS        Windows
WebKit        536.5 (@118056)
JavaScript        V8 3.9.24.28
Flash        11,2,202,235
User Agent        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.52 Safari/536.5
Command Line        "C:\Users\roy_deal\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --flag-switches-begin --enable-sync-tabs --flag-switches-end

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup rdealiii 6/8/12 7:54 AM
I was able to make some changes and see the 2 "website" tabs load successfully. Cloud print wasn't enabled, so that was a non-factor. The tabs loaded succesfully if I disabled all extensions and rebooted. Then, I enabled some extensions (including the TweetDeck extension, which was auto-loaded in the 3rd tab) and rebooted, and the problem came back. After selectively enabling/disabling extensions, I've come to the conclusion that it's the TweetDeck extension that is somehow involved in the problem. For now, I'll auto-load tweetdeck.com, rather than the TweetDeck extension.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup rdealiii 6/8/12 8:12 AM
WOT (web of trust) is another that seems to interfere of auto-loading tabs.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup macondo78 6/8/12 11:27 AM
For me its Evernote Webclipper... Evernote Clearly causes no problem, the same with Adblock Plus, Heroes & Generals Updater, ProxTube and Turn off the lights.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Tevya 6/12/12 9:09 AM
I've got Webclipper, Clearly, Adblock Plus and others installed. But turning off only Cloud Print fixed it for me. Google really needs to get his fixed.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Gamecrasher 6/13/12 8:33 AM
I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER!  In order for Chrome to recognize how to continue where you left off, you need to turn off the background apps.  To do this, go to Settings, then scroll down to Show Advanced Settings, then scroll all the way down to Background Apps.  Make sure that "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" is unchecked.  Now, Chrome will recognize where you left off.  It worked for me, and I hope it works for everyone that has this problem.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Tevya 6/13/12 9:04 AM
I already had background apps off, but still had this problem until I also turned off Cloud Print. This was true on 2 totally different computers, though both run 64bit Win 7.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup rdealiii 6/13/12 9:34 AM
Chrome has updated on my machine. The problem seems to have been fixed. Had to go do Tools | About Google Chrome to kind of "force" it to update:

Google Chrome        19.0.1084.56 (Official Build 140965) m
OS        Windows
WebKit        536.5 (@119244)
JavaScript        V8 3.9.24.29
Flash        11,3,300,257
User Agent        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.56 Safari/536.5

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup macondo78 6/13/12 11:42 PM
I did the same but there is still the same issue. As soon as i reactivate Evernote Clipper the pinned tabs are not loading on startup... without Clipper everything is fine... :(
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup rdealiii 6/14/12 6:37 AM
Yes, the issue "came back" when I pinned the tabs, rather than opening the same sites using Settings | On Startup. I unpin the tabs and replace them with Settings | On Startup (Open a specific page or set of pages), then Chrome loads the sites.
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup suoiduts 6/16/12 2:53 PM
On Wednesday, 13 June 2012 08:33:23 UTC-7, Gamecrasher  wrote:

> I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER!  In order for Chrome to recognize how to continue where you left off, you need to turn off the background apps.  To do this, go to Settings, then scroll down to Show Advanced Settings, then scroll all the way down to Background Apps.  Make sure that "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" is unchecked.  Now, Chrome will recognize where you left off.  It worked for me, and I hope it works for everyone that has this problem.

That worked for me! Thanks @Gamecrasher.

Re: Tabs not reloading on startup macondo78 6/16/12 3:52 PM
Very strange how many different solutions can solve this problem but for some people. I never had background apps activated so it is unchecked but the problem still appears... for its turning off Evernote Webclipper that does the job...
Re: Tabs not reloading on startup Troubleweaver 7/15/12 6:19 AM
For what it's worth, here's what finally fixed it for me. I'm running 20.0.1132.57, and had google print disabled, but "continue running background apps" checked. I noticed in the About page, it kept saying I needed to restart chrome to finish applying the update it had just installed. It would never apply the update until I disabled the "continue running background apps" unchecked, and then manually killed all running chrome processes. Rebooting the computer after I unchecked the "continue running background apps" box the computer after unchecking didn't resolve it, but after I manually killed all the chrome processes, it completed the update and reads as fully updated now.

It will properly restore tabs now, even after rebooting the PC. I have re-enabled the "continue running background apps" option, and it continues to work just fine, even between reboots.

No idea if it's related, but I'm running googledrive on this pc as well. I wonder if there's a possibility that the sync function on googledrive has an odd interaction with chrome? With the exception of googledrive, there are no other google services that come online when my computer boots, because I had already thought that maybe my system was enabling chrome apps before I started up chrome each time and wanted to check that. Check and see if manually killing all the chrome processes allows it to start working again after a reboot, that may be the common thread for all of these different "fixes" to this problem. Maybe we're all just hunting and treating symptoms of the problem until we happen to luck across the one that works on our machine?

More topics »