Categories: Products and Features :

Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting?

Showing 1-22 of 22 messages
(unknown) 6/29/12 6:50 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/29/12 6:53 AM
Adsense is a contextual advertising program so that's a bit like asking your local supermarket to stop selling food :)
(unknown) 6/30/12 7:05 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/30/12 7:45 AM
if I put all of my content in <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->, would it be possible?

If you did that, you'd probably just get ads for Google products like Chrome as you haven't given the bots anything to read to render ads.

Maybe there's something behind the question that could throw more light on why you have an issue with contextual ads?
(unknown) 6/30/12 8:32 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/30/12 8:42 AM
There's always a risk with contextual advertising that some inappropriate ads might slip through. In some (but not all) parts of the world there are category filters to assist but, even then, some inappropriate ads still display if the advertisers have unwittingly (or deliberately) mis-labelled the ads.

Because, as stated above, Adsense is a contextual program and will remain so, you may have to concluded that its not a good fit for your site(s).
(unknown) 6/30/12 8:54 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 6/30/12 8:59 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/30/12 9:05 AM
... its might be worth an experiment but then again if the bots don't know what your page(s) are about they could end up displaying anything and you could end up with worse ads than before. Similarly if the ads are of no interest to your visitors you're unlikely to make much money from them so it might be worth exploring affiliate ads that you can select yourself to give you 100% control.
(unknown) 6/30/12 9:12 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/30/12 9:17 AM
Why do you think its a bug and its not really a feature request; you're asking them to launch an entirely new advertising model. You signed up for a contextual advertising program, if you didn't want that you should have explored other options :)
(unknown) 6/30/12 9:23 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 6/30/12 9:32 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 6/30/12 9:36 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/30/12 9:42 AM
If bots fetch nothing, then they should render nothing. why end up with "anything"?

Because you've placed an ad code for them to fill. If you wanted nothing simply remove the ad code.

I've nothing really further to add; if you don't want contextual ads that's fine, just go with an advertiser who doesn't provide them not ask an existing business to change its entire model.
(unknown) 6/30/12 9:46 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/30/12 9:53 AM
I never asked for a new advertising model, surely.

Final comment. What you're asking for is a bit like signing up at a horse program to get a horse and when the horse arrives asking whether it would actually be possible to change it into a penguin because the horse doesn't meet your needs.
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? gddsmith 6/30/12 10:20 AM
Well I would agree that you are asking for a new model that Google doesn't provide through Adsense. If you place ad code on your site those codes are making request & using resources even if the bots determine that in some or many cases there are no ads to provide. Therefore Google could be using a lot of resources for your site(s) with a very little chance of return. This is a business. like any business, that is based on risk versus reward & ROI & why would they want to spend $$ & use resources for no return just to satisfy your desire to not have those types of ads? 

Personally I think you would very seldom get clicks on ads either because none are showing, irrelevant ones are showing, or the visitors constantly seeing the same placement targeted ad that you would not earn much of anything. Again IMO if you're going to severely limit your earnings what's the point in even putting ad code on your site(s)?

As ME stated, believe me horses are expensive to maintain & if you don't want or need a horse to perform the service not only are you wasting the horses time & energy but you are also wasting yours.
(unknown) 6/30/12 10:20 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: A feature request: Would it be possible to give some capability to disable the contextual targeting? i4c 6/30/12 11:44 AM
Didn't intend to reply further and stand by comments made above and echoed by gddsmith "if you're going to severely limit your earnings what's the point in even putting ad code on your site(s)?" but you certainly didn't say anything wrong, it was just a discussion that wasn't really going anywhere as it appears that you don't really want a contextual advertising program which is what Adsense is and that's not going to change by request or otherwise.

I stated above "its might be worth an experiment" but then rechecked the guidelines which state "Including insufficient content may result in less relevant ads or no ads at all. In addition, please keep in mind that this feature should only be used to emphasize significant sections of your site's relevant content. It is against our program policies to manipulate the ad targeting to result in ads that are not relevant to the content of your pages." (my highlight).

As such, I wouldn't recommend any such experiment as it may well pose a risk to your account. So, maybe either accept the program for what it is or conclude its not a good fit for your site and explore alternatives.
(unknown) 6/30/12 5:48 PM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 6/30/12 8:47 PM <This message has been deleted.>