Google Product Forums

Re: Install Error 7: Install/update failed


Jackstraw.Lee Mar 7, 2011 5:14 AM
Posted in group: Google Chrome Forum

Categories: Report an Issue :

Would you like to try the following command in dos window (by Start -> Run -> cmd)?

proxycfg -u

I got the same error several days ago, and get rid of this error by the command.

There are 2 machines with
same OS(Windows XP SP3) and same proxy settings(behind a proxy).
Chrome on the laptop can update itself by the about menu, on another desktop computer, chrome
displayed the error: update server not available, error:7

In the event viewer on the desktop compute, it shows the following error:

----------------------------------

The description for Event ID ( 20 ) in Source ( Google Update ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Network Request Error.
Error: 0x80072ee2. Http status code: 0.
Url=https://tools.google.com/service/update2
Trying config: source=IE, named proxy=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XX, bypass=172.28.*;<local>.
trying CUP:WinHTTP.
Send request returned 0x80072ee2. Http status code 0.
trying WinHTTP.
Send request returned 0x80072ee2. Http status code 0.
trying CUP:iexplore.
Send request returned 0x80004005. Http status code 0.
Trying config: source=auto, wpad=1, script=.
trying CUP:WinHTTP.
Send request returned 0x80072ee2. Http status code 0.
trying WinHTTP.
Send request returned 0x80072ee2. Http status code 0.
trying CUP:iexplore.
Send request returned 0x80004005. Http status code 0.
Trying config: source=IE, named proxy=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XX, bypass=172.28.*;<local>.
trying CUP:WinHTTP.
Send request returned 0x80072ee2. Http status code 0.
trying WinHTTP.
Send request returned 0x80072ee2. Http status code 0.
trying CUP:iexplore.
----------------------------------------

It seems the googleupdate cannot access update server through IE, and WinHTTP cannot get the proper proxy settings.
This phenomenon is very like the WSUS error with same error code: 0x80072ee2.

So if your proxy is being setting properly in your IE, you can use the "proxycfg -u" command to import the proxy settings
from IE to WinHTTP, then the WinHTTP can access the address https://tools.google.com/service/update2
using the proxy.


But I did not know why the chrome on the laptop can access the update server without "proxycfg -u".
If you run this command, the below registry entry will be added.
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
   SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\
but in the laptop, there is no "Connections" entry under the "Internet Setting" entry