Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube?

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? Dr. Doodler 11/2/09 7:08 PM
Please can anyone help me out? I would like to change my User ID and my channel name please.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? Xelger 11/2/09 10:49 PM
No, you can't change your username. Your username is set in stone when you create your account. You can create another account, but you can't use the same e-mail address for it.

As for your channel name, you can change THAT by simply clicking on "Settings" on the "Edit Channel" bar just above your channel. Input the name you want in the "Title:" section.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? Dr. Doodler 11/3/09 9:46 AM
Thank You very much sir.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? McTweeds 4/13/10 7:56 AM
You can change your user name if you fully delete your account.

YouTube will ask if you want to delete any video posts prior to deleting your account - since you will not be able to edit them after your account is deleted. Then, open a new account and use any email you'd like (even the one you used when you opened your first account).

May not be worth the effort if you've already invested in uploading a lot of content, but if you are just starting out and had a change of heart regarding your user ID, deleting your account and starting over only takes a few minutes.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? Xelger 4/13/10 9:38 AM
Being able to use the same e-mail address that was used for the closed account is false. Even though the account is closed, it still exists, so nobody else can take it and essentially steal your identity. Because the account still exists, so too, does the e-mail address association. You will find that you cannot associate another account with the same e-mail address as the one on the closed account.

McTweeds, I'm sure you came to your conclusions because that's how many other sites work, but YouTube works differently.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? McTweeds 4/13/10 10:29 AM
Just this week, I successfully deleted my account after removing all video uploads and opened a new account using a new user ID and the same email address. YouTube did not require me to use a new email address. I made the change within 24 hours of creating my original account so perhaps that can be attributed to why it worked.

My purpose is not to win an argument. Users can try my advice at their own discretion.

If someone who recently created an account would like to try what I did and report if it works or not, please do.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? Xelger 4/13/10 10:49 AM
Huh, strange. If it works as you say, then that must have been a change they made very recently behind our backs. Heck, I wouldn't doubt it. It's YouTube, after all. :P
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? anmoose 4/13/10 11:38 AM
IF you use a non gmail address, and IF you change the email address on the account to a different "throwaway" address before closing the account, then yes, you can re-use that address. It will have been disassociated / delinked from the account while it was still active.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? Dr. Doodler 4/13/10 12:23 PM
Thank you all again. I decided just to stick with my channel name even though it sucks.
Re: Can you change your user ID and channel name on YouTube? McTweeds 4/14/10 5:12 PM
I used my normal gmail address before and after the change. Didn't need to use a throw away address. Perhaps I got lucky, but it's worth a try for anyone who is set on needing a new user ID.