Embed codes not working anymore

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
Embed codes not working anymore FrankSo 5/17/10 6:20 AM
Hi people,

I received a video url (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZUK6hTXGw) that is working fine. But when I embed it (with http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ekZUK6hTXGw) in an article on our website this is not working anymore. It works when I remove the "watch/" segment. This problem seems very recent. Did Youtube change anything technically? How to solve this? I have lots of articles with youtube links in my database.

Thanks for your help!
Re: Embed codes not working anymore ebbixx 5/17/10 7:32 AM
Why are you changing the '?' to a '/'? 
Re: Embed codes not working anymore FrankSo 5/17/10 7:47 AM
I use a TYPO3 (cms) extension for this. The extension required the url to be changed: "?v=" had to be "/v/". Anyway this was working. Now both the "?v=" and "/v/" versions of the url aren't working anymore (not only this video but all the urls I already published). Only when dropping the "watch/" segment it functions.
Re: Embed codes not working anymore ebbixx 5/17/10 8:08 AM
I'm not very familiar with TYPO3 extensions.  I'd suggest posting these questions in a forum where you can expect a higher concentration of TYPO3 experts in those to offer some ideas and potential workarounds.  YouTube code is changing constantly, so an incompatibility may have come up recently.  I won't waste your time by guessing about something I only just looked up.

It's probably beside the point, since it doesn't use TYPO3 in any way, but before you posted this clarification, I had added both embedded player and links to a blog post to confirm whether embedding codes were still working.  Those can be checked out towards the end of the post linked below:

http://atelierdropdeadcute.blogspot.com/2010/05/this-is-test-youtubes-unlisted-videos.html

Meanwhile, I'll pass this along for staff attention, though I really can't say whether or when it will get it.
Re: Embed codes not working anymore FrankSo 5/17/10 8:31 AM
Thanks anyway. I'm quite sure it doesn't have anything to do with our CMS. It has to be a change made by Youtube. Though I can't find any notification about it.
Re: Embed codes not working anymore ebbixx 5/17/10 8:47 AM
If the problem can only be fixed on YouTube's side, then I guess you're schrod.
Re: Embed codes not working anymore epontius 5/17/10 9:25 AM
The /v should be pulling the actual flash stream... so it would appear that your CMS is re-wrapping the video and creating it's own embed code rather than using the embed code that YouTube supplies.
The actual embed code will use the same /v as that is where the stream is located:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ekZUK6hTXGw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ekZUK6hTXGw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And it still works perfectly fine:
http://www.burningfromice.com/youtube/embed9.htm

So that would seem to indicate that there maybe a incompatiblity on your end.
Re: Embed codes not working anymore rewboss 5/20/10 1:19 AM
In a URL, slashes separate directory names from each other and from file names; question marks are used to send additional parameters to the server.

This is the URL of a YouTube video watch page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZUK6hTXGw

This URL does not actually specify a particular page. What it does is this: it calls up a script -- essentially a program -- running on the server, called "watch". This program accepts a parameter called "v", and the value of "v" is an 11-character video ID. The program, like all computer programs fundamentally, then crunches some numbers and spits out a result. That result is a page full of HTML code which is sent to the browser. That HTML could be an error message, or it could be a page with the video embedded in it.

The video itself is not actually located at that address, and never was. "watch" is not a directory with a list of subdirectories and files, it is a computer program. "v" is also not a directory, but a variable name.

In the embed code, though, you need to specify the URL for the actual video, not the program that generates HTML code. Put another way: If you're embedding a video on a page you designed yourself, you don't want YouTube to give you all the HTML code for building a whole YouTube video watch page complete with YouTube logo, search bar, related videos, comments and all the other bits and pieces: all you want is the video itself.

Asking the program called "watch" to give you the video won't work. The video itself (technically, a reference to the video, but that would be splitting hairs) is located in a directory called "v". It happens to have the same name as the parameter that you pass to the script "watch", but here it's the name of a directory. So there are actually two changes you need to make to the video page URL to get the embed URL:

1. you must drop the reference to "watch";
2. you must change "v" from a parameter to a directory.

Applying this two changes gives you:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ekZUK6hTXGw

Now, instead of calling "watch" and saying, "Give me the HTML for an entire web page", you're simply looking inside directory "v" for the video itself.

This has in fact always been the case since YouTube first started, and nothing about this has changed. I'm not sure if there's something in your Typo3 extension that has changed; it would seem to me to be a very trivial thing to automagically convert a YouTube video watch page URL into the embed URL (even I could do that), but I can assure you: having /watch/v/... in a URL has never worked on YouTube.