Categories: Getting Started / Tips & Tricks :

Can you send a text message via email your google number?

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
Can you send a text message via email your google number? shastarama 8/5/09 11:09 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to send a text message via email to your google voice number.  For example on ATT you can send an email to yourn...@txt.att.net and it will send you email as a text to your phone.  Does anyone know if this is possible with google voice like sending an email to yourn...@google.com or something?

Thanks! 
Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? ERICfromTEXAS 8/6/09 1:37 AM
No, Google Voice does not support this. If you would like to see this feature, suggest it using the link provided at the end of this reply.

ERIC
Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? shastarama 8/6/09 5:26 AM
Thanks Eric!  Will Do.

-Mark
Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? Papa Bear 2/15/10 12:51 PM
@shastarama

Go to GV settings > Voicemail & SMS tab : enable Forward SMS messages to my email (must be a Gmail address) > Save

Send a text message from your mobile phone to your Google number.

Go to your gmail address that was in your settings above > open the gmail > click on Show Details > copy the long gmail address that ends in @txt.voice.google.com > add it to your Gmail contacts for yourself.

You can either reply to this gmail message or send a new gmail to this odd looking address. However, You cannot send it from another email provider (e.g. yahoo) at this time.

Note: When you reply or send gmail, anything in the subject line will not appear in your GV sms text message, and a line in the body of the message cannot be broken with a new line space or by typing enter for a new paragraph.
Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? UsabilityArchitect 3/17/10 10:41 AM
The above answer is not completely correct, it will send a message from your GV to the original mobile phone.  So a couple of caveats: 
 a) if you use someone else's phone they will get the messages so use your phone.
 b) all messages will come from your GV # and not the original sender which creates risks to you in not knowing where the message are coming from.
Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? Papa Bear 8/25/10 1:14 PM
Starting today you can use Gmail to receive or place Google Voice calls.

Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? dduane 11/27/10 9:42 PM
I attempted the solution suggested by PapaBear but it seems Google has disabled sending mail for validation of forwarding addresses through  as replies to text messages.  I think its on to suggest the feature on its own.
Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? midnightdsob 1/17/11 1:45 PM
I tried papa bears suggestion however the email address it generates appears to have a key phonenumber.phonenumber.randomletters@txt.voice.google.com which leads me to think it might expire at some point?
Re: Can you send a text message via email your google number? autnagrag 2/15/11 9:24 AM
I still wish the people at my office could send an email from (for example) an Exchange server or non-Gmail webmail to a specified email address and have the subject line and body show up as a text message in my Google Voice (on a computer or on my cell phone). 

I have heard the old UNIX joke about good simple programs expanding until they can send and receive email, but despite that joke, this would be very useful to me and perhaps others.