Categories: Getting Started / Tips & Tricks :

how to answer google voice calls on my computer

Showing 1-12 of 12 messages
how to answer google voice calls on my computer kevinbuck 7/21/09 9:55 AM
I have already set up a gizmo account to place outgoing calls on my computer for free. Is there a way to recieve ,for free, calls to my google voice number on my computer. I have heard of somehow sending incoming calls to google talk thru gizmo, but i have not found any clear instructions on how to do so.
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer Hillsborough 7/21/09 10:00 AM
Features: Adding a Gizmo number

To forward your Google Voice calls to a Gizmo number, first you need to identify your Gizmo SIP number. In your Gizmo client, go to my.gizmo5.com. Your SIP number is displayed below your name, and most likely starts with 747. Enter this 10-digit number as one of your phones. Here's how:

1. Sign in to Google Voice.
   2. Go to the Settings link at the top right of the page.
   3. Click the Add/Edit Number link right above your phones, to the right of the page.
   4. Click the Phones tab.
   5. Click Add a new number.
   6. Select Gizmo in the Phone Type drop-down menu.
   7. Enter your SIP number without 1.
   8. Enter a name for that phone, if you want.
   9. Click Save.

Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer Hillsborough 7/21/09 10:02 AM
As of 7-17-09, you can no longer just use a Gizmo number on your account, a 10 digit number in the continental USA is now required.
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer LTN 7/21/09 10:30 AM
Hillsborough...I haven't tested my Gizmo configuration with GV lately but will those of us with Gizmo numbers configured before 7-17-09 still able to use it as is?

As for new configurations with Gizmo and GV, will the the Gizmo number have to have a regular U.S. number linked like an IPKall number? Am I understanding this right?

Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer Hillsborough 7/21/09 10:38 AM
My understanding is that all users are required to have at least one regular forwarding phone for the account.  I am going off of the limited information posted by a Google employee and other users so I can not answer your question accurately. 

My opinion is that the service is not intended as a stand alone sip product and that Google may add more restrictions in the future for all users if people continue to use the system in this manner with work arounds like IPKall.
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer LTN 7/21/09 10:44 AM
Outside of the standalone SIP issue, I was under the impression that you can still use a Gizmo 747...number as one of your forwarding numbers.

So for kevinbuck, I think he can have a landline or cell phone as one of his primary number AND add a Gizmo 747 number as a secondary. When people call, the forwarding can be set to ring both his primary and Gizmo number. If you think this is not correct, please explain.
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer ohlord 7/21/09 10:45 AM
Issue with IPKall is GV will not pass CID, only the WA State # from IPKall.

Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer Hillsborough 7/21/09 10:53 AM
Yes - you can still use the Gizmo option with other regular forwarding phones, just not by itself with no other forwarding phones.  There is probably a work around but that may be blocked next if people continue to use it and encourage others to do so.
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer kevinbuck 7/21/09 11:02 AM
so can i answer phone calls for free on my computer with gizmo?
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer Hillsborough 7/21/09 11:07 AM
kevinbuck:  Yes but you need at least one other forwarding phone on your account as well at this time. 
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer familylively 7/21/09 12:29 PM
@Hillsborough - I don't have any future children in store to name in appreciation after you, but I will eat my 1st tomato fresh from my garden in your honor. Thanks again!
Re: how to answer google voice calls on my computer Andre2 7/21/09 3:53 PM
I currently have only a Gizmo forwarding phone, but it was set up that way before July 17.  (I AM located in the continental US, though.)