Categories: Chrome Extension : Report or troubleshoot an issue : Video Call (audio/visual issues) :

FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9

Showing 1-114 of 114 messages
FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Angelo de Leon 10/22/13 10:25 PM

Please provide your OS, browser or mobile app version, and any other details that you consider relevant, so we can address your issue or question quickly.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Nick Rock 10/22/13 10:39 PM
Hi Angelo

Thank you for your message. Give me a couple of hours to check that. 
Will get back to you.

Cheers
Nick
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Morgenmicha 10/23/13 2:44 AM
also at Skype or FaceTime. After Mavericks Update the cam is lost at my MacBook Pro Late 2012
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Nick Rock 10/23/13 3:15 AM
Hi

Thanks for the additional feedback. I started the Update in the morning but won't be back to my Mac in within the next 5 hours.
I'll take a look at this and will report back but it is strange that even FaceTime is not woking!
We had a broken (OSX) update in the past but at least FaceTime was working.

Cheers
Nick
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 VR123 10/24/13 11:09 AM
Same issue. Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101, just updated a pretty new Macbook Air to Mavericks. Skype does detect the video camera. Hangouts does not. Also tried taking a profile picture from Hangouts and it says hardware is not detected. 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Mike Gutnick 10/24/13 11:18 AM
I too installed Mavericks on a late 2013 Macbook Air,  camera works fine with Skype but not recognized by Hangout.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Nick Rock 10/24/13 11:24 AM
Hi

Thanks all for the feedback.
I'll try to get some more information about this issue.

Cheers
Nick
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 VR123 10/24/13 11:38 AM
Just started a new Hangouts call and camera is now working. 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Udaivir Singh 10/24/13 3:38 PM
did u do something different, that it started working ol of a sudden..i think i still face the issue...please help...
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 10/24/13 5:41 PM
Same here. Camera is Not detected.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Andrew Ziobro 10/24/13 5:47 PM
Had the same issue today.
 Google hangouts needed permission to use the camera and microphone. (The Settings Bars were orange.) In the settings menu was the option to re enable the hangouts plug in.

Fixed.!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 10/24/13 6:42 PM
NOT fixed. No orange bar or anything for me. Still not working.
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: FaceTime Camera Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Bella Quisada 10/25/13 4:12 AM
Re: FaceTime Camera Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Bella Quisada 10/25/13 4:12 AM
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 SmallJones 10/25/13 6:35 AM
Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101 Mavericks MacBook Air 1.7GHz Intel Core i7 -

camera works in Skype (not in Chrome of course) but not in Hangout (in Chrome)

Chrome - Settings -> Extensions -> show no Hangout extensions as mentioned earlier.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 SmallJones 10/25/13 11:49 AM
Camera wasn't recognized by any brower -- Safari or Firefox as well as Chrome. Reboot seems to have fixed it all back.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 10/25/13 11:58 AM
Thanks Ron, that worked fine when I tried yesterday.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Ricardo de Souza 10/26/13 7:45 PM
I also got the same problem with Skype. OS X Mavericks. Did not try Hangouts.

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 happysunshining 10/27/13 11:54 PM
I use the latest Macbook Air, updated to Mavericks. Based on my test so far, as long as iMessages or Skype is logged in, google video cannot be recognized. I logged out iMessage and Skype, the google video gets back again. 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 10/28/13 7:32 AM
The problem comes back after using my macbook air for some time. But if I reboot it, the camera is recognized by hangout. And if I don't shut off the computer for sometime, and try hangout again, camera is not recognized. And reboot again fixes it temporarily.
(unknown) 10/28/13 9:25 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Dori, Community Manager @ Google 10/28/13 1:29 PM
Hi all,

Can you confirm that you have tried:
  • A different browser
  • Clearing browser cache / using an incognito browser window

Can you also please let me know the Hangouts plugin version that you're currently running? (In Chrome, type about://plugins and look for the Google Talk Plugin)

Thanks!
Dori
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Vinht23 10/28/13 2:32 PM
I have tried using Hangout in both Chrome and Safari. I just tried Chrome in incognito mode, and the camera was functioning. My plugin Version: 4.8.2.15856.

Thanks,

Vinh
Name:Google Talk Plugin.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Vinht23 10/28/13 2:45 PM
Clearing your browser cache seems to do the trick.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Dori, Community Manager @ Google 10/28/13 2:49 PM
@Vinht23 - thanks for following up!

@everyone else on this thread - please try clearing browser cache, trying a new browser, and trying an incognito browser?

Dori
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Heather Applewhite 10/28/13 5:48 PM
Hi,
I'm having a similar issue as Vinh, but my camera still did not work in incognito mode. I've tried Chrome and Safari browsers. My camera works on photobooth. I have not tried imessage or skype. I have macbook Air with maverick
Here is my plugin info:
Google Talk (3 files) Version: 4.8.2.15856
Thanks,
Heather
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Vinht23 10/29/13 10:27 AM
@Dori, this issue is so annoying now. Today the camera is not working. I've tried clearing cache and use incognito mode again, and the camera is not working.

Thanks,

Vinh
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Hegymegi János 10/29/13 4:31 PM
Hey,

I've ran into the problem on a Mid-2013 Macbook Air right after I've upgraded to Mavericks.

• On Firefox and Chrome
  • Both in incognito

Gtalk plugin is 4.8.2.15856 on both, with an additional Video Accelerator (0.144) on Firefox.

Highly annoying, even if the fault isn't on your end.

Regards.

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Andreas Heisswolf 10/30/13 7:15 AM
Hi, 

I have the same settings. Macbook Air mid-2013. Updated to Mavericks. Camera works on photobooth, but can't be found within the hangouts in chrome. 
Google Talk (3 files) Version: 4.8.2.15856  

:)
Thanks, 
Andy
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 10/30/13 9:31 AM
I got my camera working yesterday by deleting the plugin, clearing cache, restarting my entire machine, and reinstalling the plugin, on latest Chrome. Today it wasn't working when I had my actual work call, so something else is up with this. Please let me know when it will be fixed because I can't go through this every morning before my work call.

I'm on Mavericks, with latest Chrome, plugin i4.8.2.15856.

I see others are having the same problem and since this was a problem prior to Mavericks and now again on Mavericks, I would assume that the plugin needs to be updated?

Thanks,
Susan
FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 10/30/13 3:51 PM
You don't need to uninstall and reinstall plugin or delete cache. Just simply rebooting works. But after awhile, the camera doesn't work again, so I have to reboot again. Yea it's annoying..
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 10/30/13 5:16 PM
Wow, that's true, a restart got it working again. But I don't want to restart before every call to make sure the camera works as it means stopping all kinds of stuff and interrupting my work flow, so that sucks.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 yaktamer 11/1/13 9:50 AM
I tried all the suggestions mentioned above - different browser, clearing cache, nukeing the plugin and reinstalling - none of them worked.
The only thing that worked was rebooting which is something I hate doing unless there's no other choice.

Having to reboot just to get chrome to recognise the camera again (even for a limited time) *really* sucks.

Please give us a fix, Google!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 11/1/13 10:05 AM
I don't know. Yesterday, I used hangout 2 times, but with same person where about 20 minutes or something in between, and the camera was working fine? Is it fixed already? I haven't changed anything. I'm using Safari latest version on Mavericks, on 2013 macbook air 11inch. I don't now if it will work again today though. Maybe I will try later today.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 11/1/13 10:42 AM
So I too had it working twice yesterday and it worked this morning without a restart. I also got the new look/feel of the plugin, so I am wondering if it is fixed. I have another meeting this afternoon and that will be the true test for me.
FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 11/1/13 11:24 AM
Yea I also had the new look of the hangout. Looked so much nicer. :)
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 11/5/13 9:30 AM
So, not fixed. I just didn't have video and I think a restart is needed to get it back (I shut down over the weekend, so yesterday had a fresh restart). It seems somewhat intermittent to me, but still having issues :(
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Tim Murtaugh 11/5/13 2:41 PM
For the record, having similar problems myself. Internal camera on new MacBook Air is not recognized by a hangout in any browser, in private/incognito mode. Rebooting made no difference.

However — something I don't think anyone has come across yet here —  the camera in my Apple Thunderbolt display *is* recognized.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Adam Gerthel 11/6/13 2:23 AM
Same problem here. System:

Macbook Air 2013

OS X 10.9 (13A603)
Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Wush Wu 11/8/13 8:37 AM
Same problem here.

OS X 10.9 (13A603)
Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101

---

Note that Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD."
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Diamantis Falidas 11/9/13 10:02 AM
Same problem here, in a mid-2013 Macbook Air, Chrome 30
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Don Sheu 11/10/13 9:00 AM
I found that Mavericks defaults out existing applications to deny access to user information. I went into privacy settings and reauthorized Skype and Google Talk, and now the camera works with those applications.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 11/11/13 8:17 AM
Which privacy settings are you referring to? I looked in System Preferences and don't see anything in there, could you let me know?

Thanks!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Don Sheu 11/11/13 8:35 AM
Hi Susan, here's a link to a document I created with illustration of where everything's located. Hope this helps. Cheers, 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8zslq7ye2efukv/mavericksSkypeGoogle%2BHangout.pdf
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Adam Gerthel 11/11/13 8:42 AM
Strange, there is no GoogleTalkPlugin there in my settings.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Andreas Heisswolf 11/11/13 8:47 AM

Same here, there is no GoogleTalkPlugin in my settings. 
And I have reinstalled it just a few days ago.

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 11/11/13 8:50 AM
Yeah, I have no plugin there either, so there is something strange going on. I installed it and I even restarted and it still only lists Skype.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Don Sheu 11/11/13 8:53 AM
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 toddoli 11/13/13 10:36 AM
Hi all,

I had the same problem running mavericks (OSX 10.9) on a macbook air mid-2013 with the googlevoiceandvideo plugin 4.9.1.16010.
I only managed to get it working again by reinstalling the "whole google package":
- Deleted the Hangouts extension installed on Chrome at this URL chrome://extensions/
- Deleted the gtalk plugin : /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin
- Deleted Chrome from the applications folder
- rebooted
- Installed Chrome
- Went to do a hangout which lead me to automatically install the google talk plugin again
My Webcam worked again at this point!
- Installed the Hangouts extension

Hope it helped you!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Vinht23 11/13/13 10:46 AM
@toddoli, let me know if your camera still work when you do a second hangout. It seems that if you reboot your camera will work but then after the first hangout it will stop working.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dhassell 11/13/13 11:00 AM
No luck with this technique for me.  First, I didn't even have anything related to Hangouts listed in extensions.

I'm on a mid-2013 11" air.  Getting the gist that there's an issue specific to these 11" airs as some report their similarly configured 13" ones work fine.

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 11/13/13 11:02 AM
Actually not true. I have a 13" and the camera is very hit and miss. It always works after a restart, worked today for the third day in a row without restart, but that is surprising, every new hangout I assume it won't work.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 toddoli 11/13/13 11:10 AM
I also have a 13" macbook air and had the issue. Now I just tried several hangouts and everything went fine, rebooted and made some again (always with the same 2 account though) and still everything works. I'll let you know if I encounter any other problem later.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dhassell 11/13/13 11:10 AM
11" mid-2013 MacBook Air - 1.3GHz Intel Core i5
10.9 Mavericks 
Google Talk (3 files) Version: 4.9.1.16010

Camera works fine in Skype and other apps.  Doesn't work for Hangouts in Chrome or Safari.  Had camera issues around the 10.8.5 upgrade which affected more than just Hangouts was later fixed with an Apple update.  Upgraded to Mavericks 10.9 and all was still fine until the new Hangouts look & feel (plugin update?) -- now the camera is no longer working in Hangouts.

When I go to settings in the Hangouts window, I see in red text "We've detected problems" then in black underneath is says "You don't have a camera. You can still use voice and video calls without a camera."

I think the clue here is "We've detected problems" -- guessing that means it's experiencing some issue besides just not detecting a camera.  Thinking this is a bug with the hangout plug-in and hoping Google posts a fix ASAP.  I rely on Hangouts for my daily team calls so extremely impactful.

I've tried re-installing the plug-in, rebooting, re-installing Chrome, all to no avail.

Hoping to hear some positive news or solutions soon.

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Allan Acevedo 11/15/13 7:52 PM
So I have the mac book air camera os 10.9

Don Sheu's document was helpful, but when I went to the security settings, only Skype appeared as an app that I could give permission to. I double checked and have downloaded the googlevoiceandvideosetup and it says it's installed, but it's not showing up in the security list to grant access nor can I find it under my finder.

Where do I start?
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 kauelima 11/20/13 1:58 PM
Still not fixed! My camera works fine on all other apps but on hangouts it only works for some time after the computer starts. If i restart my macbook air it works, but after sometime with the macbook air open (maybe after the first sleep when i close the lid) it goes off again and can't find my camera

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 toddoli 11/20/13 4:12 PM
Indeed, still the sale for me, it usually works again after a reboot and then doesn't anymore sometime later...
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 11/21/13 9:08 AM
So I had a good run of several days where things worked, but now no such luck :(
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 harveymmr 11/21/13 11:29 AM
Same here.  Going to have to pay for Skype Premium.  Nice job google
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 kx152rider 11/22/13 3:49 AM
I have to reinstall the plugin and close/open the browser (not reboot) and then it works for that 1st hangout.  What a pain...
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Arvind Menon 11/22/13 4:51 PM
I have this problem on a Macbook Pro late 2012 running Mavericks. Fully shutting down Chrome and starting again fixes the issue for a little while. It looks like Chrome/the plugin takes over the camera and no other app can access the camera when it gets into this failed state.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 arisboch 11/24/13 4:48 PM
Same problem here.  Video Camera does not work with Google Hangouts at all.  I have gotten the video to work with Facetime a few times.  Running OSX Maverick on a 2013 Macbook Air, with Chrome Version 31.0.1650.57
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Nick Rock 11/24/13 11:27 PM
Hi

Please let me know if it works in that situation (for testing)

Cheers
Nick
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dave roy 11/24/13 11:45 PM
Doesn't work for me :(
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Tiago Fernandes Freitas 11/24/13 11:47 PM
I confirm that when having FaceTime open, the webcam is detected on hangouts (just needed to refresh the site).
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 susanjrobertson 11/25/13 9:16 AM
This didn't work for me. I started up my machine this morning, had my morning hangout, camera worked, but got bumped out. When I went back into the hangout, camera didn't work and I opened up FaceTime, refreshed and camera was still undetected :(
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 toddoli 11/25/13 9:20 AM
+1, didn't work for me either. I booted my macbook air, made a hangout where the camera didn't work, started FaceTime and refreshed the page (re-joined the hangout) but still no cam detected.
During the hangout I went out because a computer shutdown (no more battery) and when I booted again, and rejoined the same hangout the cam was working.

So for me, the FaceTime trick, didn't do the trick ;)
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 John James Jacoby 11/25/13 2:55 PM
The culprit in my situation is Skype. It essentially hogs the camera, and won't let any browser access it even after having closed Skype.

For some background, this has been a problem since Mavericks betas. There is a topic in the Apple Developer Forums about exactly this, and there is currently no fix there either.

Rebooting fixes the problem because Mavericks lets go of whatever Skype isn't. My guess is there's a kext or rogue process OS X previously unloaded that it no longer does, and Skype does not actively unload on its own, leaving it idly connected to the camera and preventing browsers from using it.

Or... demons. Hard to say.

I suspect there's a priority order also, as FaceTime is always able to access the camera regardless of Skype being open or not. The problem for me is in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, and specifically with Google Hangouts VS Skype.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 John James Jacoby 11/25/13 2:58 PM
See the thread over is Skype's forums for additional details:

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 arcwhite 11/25/13 3:22 PM
Confirm that this workaround worked for me (Macbook Air, OS 10.9)

With Facetime open (even if Skype was already open) I was able to get video in a G+ hangout, which I am otherwise unable to do.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 drlipton 11/29/13 5:45 PM
I have a MacBook Air, with version 10.9 and Mavericks, purchased in September, 2013. Hangouts won't detect my camera.  Skype has no similar problem, but I would like to use hangouts for a large family conversation. I have hangouts  version 2013.1120.433.1  Google Chrome is Version 31.0.1650.57 up to date. I have tried clearing the cache. I have tried stopping skype and rebooting. Skype works fine. I really don't want to buy Skype premium if there is a simple fix. I also don't understand where the GoogleVoiceandVideo software went, certainly not into my applications folder. 
I also tried Safari and Mozilla. It just doesn't work. 
My previous Air with Mt. Lion had no troubles with Hangouts and video. 
Who is in charge, and when or how is this going to be fixed? 

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Johann Sabbath 12/3/13 6:06 PM
I have the same issue! How did you fix it?
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 drlipton 12/3/13 6:58 PM
I didn't fix it.  Or rather, to be exact, google hangouts with video did work one time this week, but it is not reliable. It is no where near as reliable as skype. Most of the time, the machine says it cannot find my camera or that I don't have a camera (absurd, this is a macbook Air 2013). Then one time it did work, and I have no earthly idea what was different. I did not reboot or change any settings or software. Curious!  Still a big glitch, not reliable, in my mind. 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 chapma61 12/3/13 10:34 PM
The workaround worked for me! I opened FaceTime, started a Hangout, and the camera did not work. I refreshed my browser, started another Hangout, and my camera was detected. I closed FaceTime, tried another hangout, and was successful. Thanks!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Nikos Linakis 12/5/13 11:42 AM
I managed to make my Facetime camera work, once I installed the hangouts plugin from here https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dylan1785 12/17/13 3:50 AM
It works fine on 10.9.1
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Vinht23 12/17/13 9:08 PM
It does work on 10.9.1.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 chapma61 12/17/13 9:30 PM
I installed 10.9.1 this morning, and my camera worked in my three Hangouts. After a few hours it stopped working again. I have refreshed my browser and restarted my computer...and nothing- UGH!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Shelton.L 12/17/13 10:49 PM
I think the problem is not the Mavericks. I just installed Windows 8.1 on my MBA 2013 11inch, and I can't get web cam to work in hangout. I gave up. The camera works fine in Camera app. It may be incompatibility with MacBook's web cam driver or something. Not sure.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Vinht23 12/19/13 9:26 AM
@chapma61 was right. After 3 hangouts, my camera is not longer working with Maverick 10.9.1. Seems to be a permissions thing. Like Apple is trying to restrict web apps from using the cam.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 marascma 12/21/13 10:26 AM
OS 10.9.1 here on 2013 macbook air.  I got two hangouts before the camera stopped working again.  Resolves with reinstall of chrome.  Different browsers makes no difference.  Apple apps work well with camera.

Still waiting for a solution...
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 lane kennedy-levy 12/24/13 10:08 PM
Mine is not working either, did the update recently on a MacBook Air mid 2013-- not detection in hangout or skype.  HELP.... :)
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 ShannonYSL 12/30/13 11:47 AM
I update the hangout plugin today. Still not working.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 ShannonYSL 12/30/13 11:50 AM
chrome version 31.0.1650.63
google talk 4.9.1.16010
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 sbenario 1/2/14 11:45 AM
I'm seeing this as well. Does anyone know of a fix or a workaround? Hangouts can work once or twice after a reboot, but doesn't seem to have access to the camera more than once or twice after a reboot. Other websites ARE able to access the camera, even when hangouts cannot.

So then, to summarize what works and doesn't:
onboard camera works with skype and facetime
onboard camera works fine with Chrome (on other webapps that use camera)
Hangouts can sometimes detect the onboard camera (works 1-2x after a reboot)
The rest of the time Hangouts CANNOT see the onboard camera.
External camera works fine all the time with everything.

MacBook Air, 13", Mid-2013
Mavericks

Chrome:  31.0.1650.63
OS X: 10.9.1  build: 13B42
Google Talk plugin 4.9.1.16010

I've tried both with and without the Hangouts Extension.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 kauelima 1/2/14 11:52 AM
How to work around this problem:

1. Quit your Chrome entirely (cmd+Q).
2. Open your Facetime app and leave it open.
3. Open Google Chrome.
4. Start your Hangout.
5. You can now close Facetime app if you want.

This works, but would still love to see the plugin working without any kind of tricks.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 sbenario 1/2/14 12:03 PM
@kauelima - that workaround does not work for me. Interesting. I wonder if it's an OS-level lock on the hardware? Perhaps this is an Apple bug?
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 abel gladstone mangam 1/8/14 12:07 PM
It does work for me.. I however use the Photo Booth application.. !!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 IMJAAG 1/8/14 2:42 PM
I've tried all the work arounds, re-installed the plugin, and it's still not working, has anyone else found a permanent solution?
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 sbenario 1/8/14 2:48 PM
None of the current workarounds work for me either, but I heard from someone that this might be fixed in Chrome v32 (currently in Beta). Can anyone who has the issue confirm that installing the new Beta version of Chrome helps?
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Helena Osorio 1/9/14 7:55 PM
Hi! I just installed v32 this and it worked for me :) Thanks so much!!!! 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Street Feet 1/13/14 8:11 PM
I've been having the same problem. A workaround that works for me is to restart the AppleCameraAssistant process.

1) Open Terminal.
2) Type: sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
3) Enter your password.

Then try a new Hangout. Hopefully this works for other folks here?

MacbookAir Mid-2013 13"
OS X: 10.9.1 build 13B42
Chrome: 31.0.1650.63
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 sbenario 1/13/14 8:22 PM
SUCCESS! Street Feet for the win! That solved the problem for me.

However, I'm encouraged to hear from Helena Osorio that this is in fact fixed in v32, and I won't have to deal with the workaround for much longer :-)
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dhassell 1/13/14 9:29 PM
Holy wow Street Feet!  

I've tried EVERY workaround, INCLUDING installing v32 to no avail.  But THIS ONE WORKS!  Thank you!

Hey Google, hoping this gives you a clue as to what's going on.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Lore Carrillo 1/14/14 8:51 AM
Thank you! We've been trying to find a work around for this for a while! Worked perfectly.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Vinht23 1/14/14 10:48 AM
I've tried the restart of AppleCameraAssistant process, and it work only once for me last night. I restarted it, opened a hangout, and the camera was on. I did the same thing today before I joined a hangout. When I joined the hangout, the camera did not work. I thought this method was it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me every time.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 chapma61 1/14/14 11:07 AM
I upgraded to Chrome Version 32.0.1700.72 beta

My fingers are crossed! My camera has been working within Hangouts since my upgrade 4 days ago. 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 IMJAAG 1/14/14 10:20 PM
Thank you Street Feet! This works! I tried everything else (literally) and this is the only thing that worked! It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Evan Goldin 1/14/14 10:36 PM
This did the trick! Now I'm just hoping that there's a permanent fix soon.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dancasmo 1/15/14 11:31 AM
Not sure if this was already mentioned. Simple fix is, go to chrome://plugins in Chrome, look for 'Google Talk' and tick the 'Always allowed' option. Restart Chrome and all should be good. This fixed it for me anyway.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 chudak 1/22/14 1:48 PM
Looks like I am also having this problem.
Camera is not working in Hangout
Google Chrome32.0.1700.77 (Official Build 244503
OSMac OS X 
Blink537.36 (@164518)
JavaScriptV8 3.22.24.10
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Miryusup 1/25/14 4:07 AM
Hi there! Having the same problem. 

A solution with "sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant" works just fine with hangout but NOT WITH SKYPE.

Is there any hint, we're going to get the permament fix soon?

thank you!

mcbook 13' mid-2013

OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Chrome: Version 32.0.1700.77

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 toddoli 1/25/14 6:00 AM
Yeah the "sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant" has always worked for me yet too!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Jonathan Bunford 2/6/14 6:46 AM
This issue was only in Chrome. Safari was fine, even the most recent Canary build.
The "sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant" method was the only fix that worked for me with Chrome. Thanks!
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Özge Ersu 2/6/14 9:32 PM
I am using a brand new 11" Macbook Air 8GB Ram 512 SSD i7 but running Windows 7 Professional on Bootcamp. (I never use the Mac Partition). Same problem on Windows Installation, Google Hangout Camera dos not work at all. The Cirrus Logic mics are OK and the video camera is very fine and crisp on Skype etc. 

I tried all advice here, but no avail. 

Thanks...
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dbBliss 2/11/14 7:17 PM
Has this been resolved with clearing cache? I'm using Hangouts extension 2014.129.433.1 and I'm told no device has been found. It works just fine with Photo Booth or FaceTime. No luck with Hangouts or Skype.

Macbook Air mid-2013 Haswell
OS 10.9.1
Chrome or Safari
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 dbBliss 2/11/14 7:39 PM
Sorry, that was poorly worded. Clearing the cache did not fix the problem for me. I'm assuming that fixed it for everyone else as the chatter has died out. If anyone came up with a solution, care to share.

Thank you.

Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 hisarahp 2/19/14 7:20 PM
Hey dbBliss - I was having this problem a few months back, and this thread over on the Skype help forum helped me a ton and got my camera back up and running: http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/MacBook-Air-cam-don-t-work-only-on-Skype/td-p/1927097

Not sure if it's the same problem you were having or if this will fix it for you, but I thought I'd leave the link here just in case.
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 Kimberly Munoz 2/24/14 11:10 AM
Typing the following command in terminal to restart the AppleCameraAssistant works for me. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to do it every time you want to use the camera.

sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 therealmarv 2/25/14 5:27 PM
OS X 10.9.2 now finally fixed that permanently on Mac Book Air mid 2013 :) 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 MacBookAir Problems 2/26/14 1:46 PM
I'm confused how this was fixed mid 2013, when OS X 10.9.2 was only released yesterday (2/25/2014)..... correct? However, I've found that clearing my cache, closing chrome, and restarting my computer will make the camera work. Very frustrating. 

Hopefully upgrading to 10.9.2 will do the trick -- here goes nothing! :) 
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 therealmarv 2/26/14 2:20 PM
I was just saying that my Macbook Air was the "mid 2013" model which had this problems and now 10.9.2 fixed finally the webcam for other applications than the ones from apple ;) :)
Re: FaceTime Camera not detected @ Google Hangout with OS X Mavericks 10.9 chapma61 2/26/14 2:46 PM
10.9.2 fixed it for me!
More topics »