Categories: Reading and Receiving Messages :

Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line?

Showing 1-77 of 77 messages
Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? polney01 6/18/09 8:14 AM
When people send me messages with the same subject line, they are automatically combined into one email. In the inbox it shows a parenthesis with the number of how many replies there are. Is there a way to have these emails come in separately so that they are not combined? I think that is more confusing, especially when trying to see the order in which they were received. Thanks!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Almos 6/30/09 8:40 AM
Same question:  How to prevent Google to automatically combine messages with the same Subject line.  When the sender does not bother to type a new subject, or keeps using the same Subject line, it is very confusing to find and view these messages.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Chata Mesmo 6/30/09 9:19 AM

The conversation view is not something that can be disabled... :-(
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? braidel 7/2/09 5:44 AM
I think this is the same question as was posted above by polney01 - and I don't see an answer to it?
Let me ask again :

Gmail is automatically combining messages in my Inbox from different people.  It seems to be doing this because the messages have the same subject.  In this case, I posted a 'job' request on craigslist and people are replying to it.  So the subject most often is just "Re: [title of my original post]"  .  I want to keep these replies from different people separate but gmail is combinging them - but only SOME of them.  It is very odd.  And I cannot reply to one without them seeing messages from other candidates - NOT very professional or good for me.

I've scoured all of Gmail help resources and not found any answers to this.

Please help and FAST.

Thanks.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Chata Mesmo 7/2/09 8:38 AM

braidel,

Although YOU see the messages together combined in a single conversation, you ARE NOT sending the whole conversation to someone...
Whenever you reply, the person will get ONLY whatever is written inside the compose box. No worries.

Coversation view is done according to subject line.
Maybe also timimg...
I don't believe that two messages from two different people, received in different days, with the subject "Hello" will be combined together...

As said - conversation view cannot be turned off...

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? tjclementi 7/4/09 10:02 AM
As someone new to Gmail, I also find this very confusing and less than helpful. I would like to have these emails come in separately-- sending out a bulk email does not mean the sender wants a bulk answer. If anyone at the GMail office is seeing this thread, it would be well to offer the option of separating mesages received that have the same subject line. Simply putting a number inside a parentheses is not a very good solution to anything.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? nhrrjr 7/11/09 3:32 PM
TJ is correct and I too can only hope someone from Google is monitoring these "conversations" and taking corrective steps. Yesterday I received three separate, different subject matter, emails combined by Gmail into one email; and today I received two separate emails combined into one. IN each instance I could not send an individual reply or take any singular action with respect to just one email. So, please anyone if you have an explanation for the cause of this lousy situation, or at least a valid solution, please let us know. Many thanks, Jack
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? katebat 7/11/09 10:52 PM
Agree that the lack of un-combine is ust abhorrent.  Worst programming the in business.

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Marty7 7/18/09 2:36 PM
Yes, this is really terrible - here's an additional question that may be a little different:

I'm arranging an event for my terminally ill partner and have sent out quite a number of invitations [with the same subject, of course].  I've set up separate "labels" in order to monitor those who are saying yes, those saying no and miscellaneous notes.  Is there even any way to "label" or move a single message?

If anyone has a solution I'd be grateful.

Marty7
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? dmaul3300 8/4/09 1:02 PM
I also agree. There are times I might be looking for an email on a specific date. I have to look at several threads before I find the correct email. I can see where at times, having all the conversations in one email is nice, BUT most fo the time, I do NOT want all of the emails lumped together. For me, it gets confusing trying to find the correct thread.

It would be nice if they could make this an option. In my mind, this is the only thing wrong with google mail.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? halb267 8/5/09 3:47 PM
I cannot stand the combining of conversations. it becomes so confusing, many conversations lost in the middle.

Come on GMAIL guru's, admit it, this is just wrong.  If a person wants to group conversations, so be it, but don't force a format that is non-typical on the entire community...

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? terrisi 8/5/09 4:21 PM
I agree completely. Gmail is NOT the way to go if you want control over the message organization. Every time I post an ad (just like the above user described on Craig's List), I spend a lot of time scrutinizing every line to see if there are more responses "hidden" in others. My latest headache was when my ad ended with the number of items I had available in parenthesis. eg: ink cartridges (9). Unfortunately for me this was an ad offering the ink for free. Because of gmail's habits, I had numbers in parenthesis all over the place.

Add to this headache: gmail automatically adds the senders to the contact list if you respond. After three ads, I now have 47 contacts to sort out and delete. Gmail needs to make that an optional "feature".

This "grouping" of threads and no way to ungroup is a mess. You can't even set up a filter to ungroup them.

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? january32 8/15/09 6:06 AM
Add my unhappiness - need to be able to un-thread!  Only solution I can think of ... do not use gmail account for invitation/Craigslist, etc., responses - much too confusing!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? leanite 8/16/09 2:58 PM
EUREKA!!!!!
I figured out how to separate individual e-mails lumped together in a "conversation" because they have identical subject lines! It's a bit time-consuming and roundabout, but effective. Here goes.

BACK STORY: Today I modified two different car reservations with the same company (Enterprise), for two different trips. I have other e-mails relating to those trips sorted in the Archive with two different labels. Unfortunately, the two e-mails confirming my modifications came in with identical subject lines, so they were welded together in a single "conversation."

I came here to see if there was a way to separate them, and found all of you fuming over this stupid feature just as I was. But someone pointed out that each e-mail in the conversation can be deleted individually from a menu accessed by the arrow box next to the "Reply" button. So I went to check it out. When I looked at the Arrow Menu I saw that EACH E-MAIL CAN BE FORWARDED SEPARATELY as well. So I forwarded each e-mail TO MYSELF, slightly changing the subject line so they wouldn't be lumped together again.

So that's the fix, friends. Forward each individual e-mail you want to save, to yourself, giving each one a slightly different subject line.

Hope this helps.

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? abrkadabra 8/21/09 1:27 AM
I think Google will switch off that automatic message combining but
it will be done more quickly if more peoples will complain about it.

So please, if you are new for this thread, just add message like this

AUTOMATIC MESSAGE COMBINING IS WRONG IDEA.

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Rosemary47 8/21/09 2:33 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TURN OFF MESSAGE COMBINING - IT IS A NIGHTMARE AND I AM LOSING BUSINESS BECAUSE OF IT

THANK YOU
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? lsebri 8/30/09 8:41 AM
I, too, would like to ahve the conversations stopped. I can't figure out how many people are coming to my event. Too confusing.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? lgasca 9/2/09 2:26 PM
Automatic message combining is HORRIBLE!  I WILL NOT continue to use gmail and will discourage others from using it if this is not stopped.  This is absolutely NO NEED for all of my msgs w/similar subject lines to be combined.  Is this being worked on?
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? pfrost111 9/4/09 6:55 AM
I was just searching for a way to disable stacking emails with similar subject lines into a conversation. Someone happened to send me an email with a similar subject to one they had sent the year before. Gmail decided to stack them. It was very confusing trying to read through all the emails in the stack to figure out what the current conversation was. I like the hotmail and yahoo interfaces much better and am tempted to leave Gmail because I can't turn off stacking. Please tell me that Google is working on a switch for this feature.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? combiningisbad 9/5/09 11:22 AM
Combining should be optional. I hate it. I may drop Gmail if it does not fix the problem. 
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? RealOldTimer 9/7/09 9:42 AM
I must add my voice to the chorus of complaints regarding the stacking / combining of messages into "conversations".  This is a "feature" that needs to be optional ..... or else I regret that it may well render an otherwise great service virtually useless for many people.

PLEASE Google folks ..... do something about it --- or at least respond to the concerns.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? michellevfitch 9/7/09 10:55 AM
I use Gmail for business, and by combining the messages it actually disables my ability to be able to respond to a function in all the mails except the 1st one. If this is not change I will have to go to another email.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Sentris 9/10/09 8:13 PM
I must add my voice to the discussion of the "conversation" feature.  I was sure there must be a way to uncombine but had not taken the time to search.  I stumbled upon this help thread and found there were many others unhappy with this feature and there does not appear to be a simple solution.  Sure, we can move to yahoo or elsewhere but it is a pain when you have provided this email to so many people and used it in all of your online accounts.  Google - please listen and provide an option to uncombine.  Thank you!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? squinnpif 9/15/09 4:09 PM
The only solution I've found is to forward emails that are sent to me with the same subject line and I will have hundreds coming in to a different server because they save them accorcding to a timeline not doing this idiotic combining thing!   I tried calling google but unfortunately they have no customer disservice dept.  We on our own!  We don't really know if Google is listening or cares!  An incredibly bad way to do business!!  Google has such a huge selection of excellent apps  too bad that they can't make themselves accessible to hearing about problems!  I'm guessing Gravi_t is a Google tech he/she sure pumps up Google unfortunately offers no solutions only defense.
THIS IS A NIGHTMARE FOR A BUSINESS WITH ALL INCOMING EMAILS HAVING THE SAME SUBJECT LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? nikad 9/17/09 7:04 AM
I have to say 99% of the time I like this feature however I have received 2 emails regarding 2 orders from amazon, both have the same subject and so they are both grouped together with no way to split them, and I cannot do anything about it.
I have tried to persuade work to move onto the google apps platform (and they would have been a paying customer) but we would have the same issue with forms posted from the web site where they all have the same title, and I imagine after a few years of use it would become horrendous to use (hundreds of messages with the same subject and no way to turn it off or split them). I am now glad they have not moved.
Personally this is just an annoyance but I can see that for some people this makes it completely useless.

Please google fix this issue, and allow us to break conversations up if we want to! I'm sure you want to stay the market leader in this field!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? andrejs4k 9/18/09 1:26 PM
AUTOMATIC MESSAGE COMBINING IS WRONG IDEA
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? megamanoffice 9/18/09 10:15 PM
We have the same problem in our company. Instead of working efficiently and making the money, we must handle this really bad gmail system of combining the messages. Google must take into account, many users working in business were using Outlook and are awaiting the same behaviour of the email program. This only system malfunction is discouraging and confusing many people in our company. We have only problems. Make it OPTIONAL.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? barblh2173 9/24/09 11:20 AM
Add me to the many who want to disable conversation threading, combining replies having the same subject should not be forced on us, it should be an option.  Like others I have wasted lots of time unscrambling this mess.  Instead of asking "did you find this answer helpful.  Since often what is posted is not an answer but the same problem said over and over, so a better question would be  "do you agree or disagree.

If conversation threading is "heart  of gmail" than gmail needs a heart transplant.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? futhi 9/24/09 6:12 PM
I also hate the conversation threading. It is very unintuitive and causes many problems. Please let us show individual emails. 
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? AliFinch 10/2/09 9:56 AM
Add me to the list of those who would like to disable this 'feature'!!

People reply to an email on a completely different subject and trying to find anything from anybody is a nightmare when they're all lumped together in the original email conversation.

Please, can we turn it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? nwirealestatejob 10/6/09 1:45 PM
I just had to put out a reply to all this also. I am closing my account because of this issue. This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. The person responsible for the layout should seriously reconsider his career path. I have used Hotmail for years and thought I would try out Google, BIG mistake.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? mgseeley 10/7/09 12:35 PM
I find this feature useful when I am having a conversation with a person. Having all the small back and forth replies linked together makes it easy to follow when active,  and simple to archive when completed. However, it is being applied to emails which are in no way a "conversation". I have web forms which email me their collected data. Why should each form submission from complete strangers, which don't include a single reply be grouped together in a Conversation? Just because they share the same subject and to/reply-to address? This seems to go against Google's very definition of Conversation; "Gmail groups all replies with their original message, creating a single conversation or thread." My received form submissions do not share an originating message NOR are they replies to a existing message.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? mgseeley 10/7/09 1:47 PM
gravi_t, thanks. I submitted my request. I have been using GMail in conjunction with Apple's Mail for some time. I recently switched to GMail's web app because the mobile version really shines on the iPhone. Switching from Mail on my Mac has allowed me to take full advantage of all the GMail features on both platforms. Unfortunately, applying conversation nesting to my one-way, data-only emails hampers my business. I am not about to dump GMail for this reason alone, but I am hoping the GMail team addresses this issue soon.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Just Kim 10/14/09 11:04 AM
I am having things combined that are not actual conversations.  Annoying.  It cannot be based on title or sender, because email subscriptions (Comics) are not combined. 
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? rugbytnrick 10/21/09 6:59 AM
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? hamishr 10/28/09 6:40 AM
I found this thread looking for a way to combine messages with different subjects into the same conversation.

A lot of the replies to this thread are just plain wrong ie. things like you can't reply to individual messages and things like that.
Perhaps I'm just really clever but to me the Reply button in the top right AND the bottom left of each message makes it pretty easy!
To reply to the whole conversation you actually have to click the menu in the top right of the message and click Reply to All.
Same goes for forwarding and printing.

A lot seem to think that Google owes them something(haha) and a lot are coming over as angry saying things like they HATE google mail... Then why are you using it?
On a similar tac are those saying its making their business loose money. WTF? To start with, you're not being forced to use it. Secondly, surely the fault is your business giving all emails the same subject... how was that ever a good idea?

This thread could have been a constructive forum for people requesting a new feature but instead people are just showing how thick they are.
You think Google is going to be intimidated into providing these changes by you saying its crap? And threatening to switch to Hotmail?

So here is the constructive part:

Google, I apologise on behalf of humanity for the ignorance and stupidity that has been shown in this thread.

Two priority features:
- Switch conversation grouping on/off.
- A new filter action: 'Do not group into conversation' (or words to that effect). This way any email that matched your filter would not be grouped. This could be used for form submissions etc.

Additional possible features:
- Set time period for a new conversation being formed.
- Boolean Option: Only group messages with the subject 'Re: Subject' (not just 'Subject') (Obviously group with the original as well)
- Boolean Option: Only group messages if you have replied to the original and the above condition is matched.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? pejs 10/28/09 1:28 PM
I would like to add my voice to the request that conversations become an optional feature.  My company has chosen to use Google Mail.  I do not have the option to change and conversations are exceedingly difficult to search through.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? tau.chocolate 10/29/09 6:36 AM
I totally agree. I cannot find the emails I am looking for when I need them. Digging through all the possible conversations is a big drag. This has me considering not using gmail and going back to yahoo as my primary email. 
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? tienga 11/1/09 11:49 PM
Conversation view can be great sometimes, and Google deserves credit for it, but it can also be incredibly annoying and I wish they would acknowledge that.  I would not say to get rid of it entirely, but let's be realistic here, it really does need to be optional.  Any feature that can be that annoying, evident from the anger and frustration expressed on this page, should have some way of turning it off.  The smartest idea by far in this thread came from hamishr, so I hope Google noticed it!!  Allow me to put in my vote for his suggestion, repeated here:
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? JorgenteG 11/2/09 4:40 AM
I agree - conversations on the WEB-version of GMail should be optional however - stop whining and use a - traditional - IMAP client that is incapable of grouping messages into conversations ie  http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/ or get it from a USB-stick at http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable for those situations that grouping is very inconvenient

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Ryan C 11/3/09 10:41 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TURN OFF MESSAGE COMBINING - IT IS A NIGHTMARE AND I AM LOSING BUSINESS BECAUSE OF IT

THANK YOU
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? cdmdms 11/9/09 6:38 PM
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? norajacobsapr 11/10/09 8:55 AM
Please add me to those users who would like to see this function made optional.  It makes it very difficult to manage your mail professionally.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? rkumari888 11/13/09 2:57 AM
Auotomatic Message Combining is wrong idea
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? kathyo 11/13/09 6:08 AM
Even though it is inconvenient to those in my address book to change my address just a few months after moving to gmail, I am planning to do so. The conversation thread is confusing and time-consuming for many of my email purposes.  And I just received an email reply that was 4 days old from gmail...this has happened before in conversation threads -- a reply comes in that is not bolded, especially when several people respond the same day.  Very, very poor function to manage our mail.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? wowfables 11/15/09 2:00 PM
I have the same problem, and I have to say the lack of an unthread option in the mail browser is an epic failure.

My gmail account is the target for a voicemail-to-email bridge, and the subject lines are all the same so gmail is grouping completely unrelated calls into one giant (false) conversation. This bad UI has been directly responsible for missed calls leading to business disasters.

Expecting mail senders to choose conveniently unique subject lines in order to please gmail's braindead threading heuristic so that we get a sensible user experience when checking mail is a ridiculous position. Please add an option to globally disable threading in the inbox so that the people who hate this mail reader misfeature as much as myself can shut it off. I don't care if the option off by default, I just want a way to make gmail's inbox behave sanely and display messages like every other mail interface out there, rather than cramming gmail's threading philosophy down every user's throat whether they like it or not.

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? raven.karen 11/16/09 6:08 PM
I am also very disappointed in Google that separating e-mails is not an option.  Someone suggested using GMail in a POP server which I have been trying to do.  However, it's a real gamble because some of my email enters my POP server and some of it doesn't.  My husband's account and mine are both set up for POP accounts and we each get only some of our GMail in them.  I am using Outlook Express (Windows XP) and he is using Windows Mail in Vista.  Obviously there are still some bugs to be worked out and we will probably return to our old provider until this becomes more reliable.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Polk 11/18/09 1:25 PM
combining conversations is a good idea. but it's not always working the right way. I want to have not only a feature to disable it, but maybe have an option to set specific emails or subjects to not combine. For example I'm subscribed to something and get emails from them every day. It's just a subscription email and not a conversation. But gmail will combine them ALL. No good. Google, please give us more options.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? mikeliebner 11/22/09 6:51 PM
IT can be nice - but they seem to group SIMILAR emails too - they are not the same senders so they should NOT be grouped

An UNGROUP setting would be nice
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? SeekGeek 12/1/09 12:31 AM
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? bblm3175 12/2/09 4:24 AM
While I don't take advantage of many of the enhanced features offered by gmail it is a decided improvement over my last service.  From the discussion it would appear this 'conversation view' is an intentional messaging organizational strategy on gmail's part and not some anomoly it needs time to find a fix for.

Finally, my question:  Can perhaps a Top Contributor describe the advantage google considers in retaining this feature when many folks would prefer it eradicated, or, at least made optional?  Does this mandatory chain structure increase memory capacity or speed routing?  My spouse lost out on cross-correspondence and subsequent meeting appointment (merely social, - nothing fatal), and I am very interested in gmail's long-range plans regarding this feature.

If it's the kind of thing where "it's here to stay and we should all just get with the program" then that's ok.  If so, then I might recommend a little clearer presentation of the strings.  Since this conversation view reminds me so much of a 'forum post format', then a clearcut indented format would come across better.  And make the most recent message the most prominent.  And when one deletes an old message the whole string is not wiped out.  Thanks.

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? bblm3175 12/3/09 3:59 AM
Thanks gravi-  Suggestions made.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? fitzoepatrick 12/7/09 8:38 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TURN OFF MESSAGE COMBINING - IT IS A NIGHTMARE.  All I want to do is label these emails separately!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? z3suzy 12/12/09 2:43 PM
I agree with all the others who want this feature to be optional, and want to have it possible to separate conversations after Google has grouped them together.  I got two emails from Amazon re different orders, and want to label each one according to whose gift it is, and can't put separate labels on each email because of the grouping.  GOOGLE, PLEASE PROVIDE SOLUTIONS!!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? z3suzy 12/12/09 2:47 PM
Another thing I would like is to be able to ADD an email to a conversation, for instance, when someone starts a new email to me instead of replying to mine but they really are part of the same conversation.  This has happened a number of times.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? guser42 12/14/09 2:28 PM
This feature just about gave me a heart attack when I saw two separate, very confidential messages to different people combined in the same string, indicating that the whole conversation had gone to both people, when I very carefully sent them as separate messages.

PLEASE INCLUDE A DEFAULT-OFF OPTION!!!!!!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? J.Mako 12/17/09 3:03 AM
--- Start Quote ---
when I saw two separate, very confidential messages to different people combined in the same string, indicating that the whole conversation had gone to both people, when I very carefully sent them as separate messages.
--- End Quote ---

Guser42, I don't think you need to worry that the whole conversation got sent to both people. You can easily check it if you open the conversation and click on the Show Details links for those two messages to see if there is only one person listed in the To field.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? karanik 12/18/09 2:54 AM
News for Auto-Combining ? switch on/off ?
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? KuldeepSinghGill 12/22/09 3:59 PM

Gmail is soo wonderful except AUTOMATIC MESSAGE COMBINING which is so annoying. Please switch it off and go back to the Folder creation idea. Label are worse than folders. Please switch off labels and enable Folders in gmail which will solve the problem.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? KuldeepSinghGill 12/22/09 3:59 PM
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? md2012 12/24/09 8:05 AM
I absolutly H-A-T-E this feature!! -- Give us a way to turn off this horrible "conversation grouping"

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? kmoana 1/5/10 3:16 PM
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? pmoses42 1/14/10 9:40 AM
Like all of you, I too abhor this feasure. I've read all of your comments and it appears to me that no one at Google is entering in the conversation. I find their silence unexplainable and irresponsiblef. This forum is not just for people to complain, but for answers to be found!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? kelt11 1/14/10 12:25 PM
AUTOMATIC MESSAGE COMBINING IS A BAD IDEA. I WORK FOR A UNIVERSITY AND NEED TO SEPERATE MESSAGES WITH THE SAME SUBJECT INTO DIFFERENT FOLDERS. THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE ANNOIANCE.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? J.Mako 1/21/10 2:17 AM
It would be nice if we in addition to this automatic message combining feature also could manually combine messages as well as manually separate combined messages.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? reb40 1/21/10 7:22 AM
Please turn off Message combining. I hate it!!!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? fuyi78 1/22/10 12:17 AM
I am an ebay seller and I am VERY VERY VERY UPSET with the auto message combining feature. It is so confusing. All my dutch auctions response with the same subject combined together. I got a few negative feedbacks and low DSRs on the communication just because sometimes the emails from customers were hidden and combined in one email. I couldn't even see it.

PLEASE FIX This horrible feature. At least, give us an option to turn it off!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? fets2402 1/23/10 10:02 AM
I am glad that I am not the only one how finds this feature annoying. How difficult can it be for google to change this and give the option whether one wants to have it grouped or not??
I would really like to switch email providers but have actually just changed from a different one (was annoyed with all the spam email) to google and now this weird grouping.

PLEASE GOOGLE HAVE THIS FIXED SOON!!
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? bplanins 2/2/10 1:02 AM
Automatic message combining is very annoying. It does more damage than good! I recieve many e-mails from same sender with same subject, but the content is NOT the same conversation! I can't separate them into different folders when i want to! Please give us an option to disable this!

Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? amityweb 2/4/10 1:18 AM
I think automatic message combining is actually excellent. No more trudging through many many different emails to find some information... its all there in one thread. What is needed is an option to turn if off for those who cannot see the benefit of conversations. And then also an option to "split" conversations. This is because I have two completely different customers email me with the same subject and its combined (which is wby I found this thread). But I certainly dont want it switched off just because of this annoyance.

Email needs to be reinvented... and Conversations is a very good idea.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? J.Mako 2/4/10 2:24 AM
The ability to split conversations into two or more conversations would be very useful especially if it came paired with the ability join two or more conversations together into a single conversation.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? 56Jagman 2/6/10 5:49 AM
Re: hamishr comment

Firstly, your constructive suggestion is the most positive in several forum discussions that I have read that are about the same problem.

Secondly, it is quite arrogant of you to post the statement "....surely the fault is your business giving all emails the same subject... how was that ever a good idea?" because it assumes that you know more about other people's business setups than they do!

A simple example for you: I send out a "special offer" to my 500 best clients (my Platinum group in the contacts list) involving a reply to accept an invitaion to one of three special social get-together events.  Why is it not a good idea to send that email (which incidentally will have the same subject heading, just in case you hadn't realised) to all my Platinum clients?  Now, the next day I have already had 163 replies from people who read their invitation email after business hours and responded immediately (they are after all, Platinum clients and therefore very reliable and prompt!).  With this "wonderful" system (NOT) that Google put in place last year it is now time-consuming and cumbersome for me to forward each of those replies to myself with the subject line changed so that the responses are grouped according to the event that the individual prefers to attend or even their apology for their inability to attend any of the events.  It is so much easier to just apply a label to each email as I read it, knowing that they will now be grouped as I want them to be, not as Google has decided they should be!

That is a simple example that would not involve my business losing money but may result in the loss of goodwill with some of my best clients.  It is surely not difficult to extrapolate this to a situation that would in fact cost a business money!

Now for my constructive suggestion:

Google, please add an extra item to the drop down menu that is available within each email.  The extra item that would solve the "problem" that is frustrating people so much is MOVE TO which works in the same way as the option at the top of the email display page.  I assume that this action would be applied to that email alone in the same way that the PRINT option is rather than being applied to all emails in the "conversation" as happens when you use the option at the top of the page.

I now encourage everyone who is reading / checking this forum topic to got to Gmail help, click on "Suggest a Feature", scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Message Organization" in the field below "I have another idea", select "Conversations and sorting" in the new field that appears, select "Conversations and threading" in the next field that appears and then put a message in the large box.  My suggestion is:

Please add "Move to" as an option in the drop down box in the top right-hand corner of individual emails so that we can put a different label on emails within a "Conversation" grouping if we want to.

Finally, click on "Suggest it".  If enough people do this it is much more likely that Google will get the message than if people continue to bitch and moan to each other in a Forum.  After all, a Forum is for users to help each other with suggestions, comments, ideas etc. etc., not for Google to monitor to find out if there is anything that users want changed.

Google has provided a facility to suggest changes / improvements so USE IT TO GOOD EFFECT!  Let's all hound them until they react to our suggestion.
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? Nek_Greece 2/13/10 3:30 AM
I really like gmail but i hate also 1 thing about it!!
I work at a hotel , we have an info@ account that is fowarded to gmail .
We receive bookings from a specific company that has a default subject line..exact same line in each one as the reservation details are in the email content ,so each time we receive an email from them even though it is a different reservation it groups them all together and makes a nice cocktail mixing up our heads....
After searching the gmail settings i couldnt find any way to disable it
I created a folder thinking that if it can at least seperate the folder mails from my inbox ones then it can be at least  more functional....but even then it groups them all together... so now i have delete each mail once i read and print it to avoid all this trouble .....ANNOYING!
Hope google finds a solution and i suggest making it optional.....
Re: Can I separate combined messages with the same subject line? gravi_t 2/13/10 4:07 AM

More topics »