Categories: Composing and Sending Messages :

How many recipients in the BCC field?

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
How many recipients in the BCC field? IAMPETH 7/9/09 11:16 AM
I need to send email occasionally to our group of approximately 600 members.

I plan on putting my own email address (GMail address) in the To line, and everyone else in the BCC line as a Contact group.

My question is:  How many recipients can I put in the BCC line?

I know there is a 500 email limit per 24-hour period, but does that mean I can put 500 email addresses in the BCC?

Thanks.

James

Re: How many recipients in the BCC field? IAMPETH 7/9/09 6:01 PM
:bump
Re: How many recipients in the BCC field? Catterbutts 7/9/09 6:11 PM
Rather than test the limits, you might be better advised using a more appropriate tool, such as Google Groups as advised in the Help pages.
Re: How many recipients in the BCC field? IAMPETH 7/9/09 6:21 PM
Thanks Catterbutts.

I've checked out Google Groups, and honestly don't know why it's so highly recommended in this group for bulk email.  Getting a group of 500+ people to subscribe seems like a nightmare, for one thing.  Plus, our membership ranks change quite a lot.... people dropping out, new people joining, etc.

Sending emails seems so much easier and intuitive.

I appreciate the suggestion, though.
Re: How many recipients in the BCC field? Catterbutts 7/9/09 6:36 PM
Webmail services are vulnerable to spambot and sweatshop account creation by spammers and need to keep tight control.

Fixed-line ISPs can be more relaxed as they 'know where you live'...

GMail Pemier Edition (for similar reasons) also has more relaxed limits.
Re: How many recipients in the BCC field? KeithR 7/10/09 3:41 AM
You can add addresses to a group to get it started.  People dropping out and joining in can then do it for themselves if you want.  I think you'll find it's a whole lot easier to manage than trying to work around Gmail's spam protection.
Re: How many recipients in the BCC field? longislandvettes 9/26/10 12:00 PM
I realize Google wants to stop and/or protect itself from people sending spam.  But there are some of us that belong to small clubs (under 200) members that would like to use g-mail for notifications.  Previous poster is correct in that it can be hard/impossible to get our members to join a group.

Bottom line - what is the magic bcc number 1, 10, 50, 100......   That's all we need to know.  If an account abuses the privilege or if google gets complaints,  shut down the account.
Re: How many recipients in the BCC field? KeithR 10/17/10 3:28 AM
@longislandvettes: "If an account abuses the privilege or if google gets complaints,  shut down the account."

If you had ever been a system administrator caring for an email server, you would know how impractical that idea is.  As soon as you shut down a spammer's account, he opens another.  Also very often spam is sent from bots installed on PCs belonging to unaware users like you or me and is untraceable.

The limit is not on the BCC field but is a daily limit of individual messages: 500 from the web interface, 100 from an SMTP client (Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.).  The limit is the same whether you use a mail merge program to send individual messages or a single message with a long list of recipients.