Categories: Composing and Sending Messages :

Sending a text (?) message to my cell phone.

Showing 1-2 of 2 messages
Sending a text (?) message to my cell phone. odeho19 12/23/10 9:38 PM
Explain your issue in full detail here:  This is kind of strange, and I don't believe that Gmail is at fault. I tried to send a text with a pic in the body of the message to my cell phone. The carrier is Boost Mobile. I've done this in the past between these two, so I knew this was possible. However this time, I forgot to check the size of the pic. A few minutes later I got this message in my inbox from Gmail:

"Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 552 552 #5.3.4 message size exceeds limit (state 18)."

I worked with Boost's customer service (joke) department for about an hour. I reset the phone, both manually, and through them. This set the phone back to it's factory settings. ( lots of fun tweaking the darn thing to how I like it again). And after all that, still no joy. I've down sized the pic I wanted to send to just under 7 kb. The only variable that I thought of was to send it as an attachment, instead of in the body of the message. This didn't work either. 

The phone does send and receive text messages. Boost sent me two separate ones, and I had a friend of mine send me a text WITH a pic in it, while I was haggling with Boost, and it worked perfectly with in minutes. I even got desperate, and reached out to my old Hotmail acct. ( Please, don't choke. I WAS DESPERATE) And the same downsized message that could get sent out by my Gmail acct, but not received by my phone, came through with in minutes.

What I'm really curious about is the phrase "Technical details of permanent failure" that is the header in the rejection notice that I got. This is a message from Gmail/Google. Not from Boost. To me it kind of reads as though Gmail/Google is somehow permanently blocking me from sending text messages to my phone ever again, because I screwed this up. I even tried sending the same message via a different Gmail acct, and it went out, but never got to my phone. Weird. Also, all pertinent Gmail Labs are "enabled", in case anyone was wondering. I had seen other posts somewhat similar to mine that had been solved because some Labs were disabled. Mine are enabled. 

I would REALLY hate to have to send text messages to my cell phone via Hotmail. I really HATE Hotmail. I really love my Gmail. Please help me if you can. Thank You! 

Please Also Include:
Operating system (e.g. WinXP): Windows 7 Ultimate
Program and version you use to access Gmail (e.g. Internet Explorer 7 or Outlook 2003):  Google Chrome 8.0.552.224
Your antivirus software (e.g. Norton 2007): Microsoft Security Essentials v 1.95
Any extensions, toolbars or plug-ins: Adthwart 
Re: Sending a text (?) message to my cell phone. s.m.vinieth 1/19/11 7:52 AM
how are you