Categories: Account Access and Safety :

Opening two Gmail accounts at once

Showing 1-28 of 28 messages
Opening two Gmail accounts at once spam.b.gone 4/17/09 8:57 AM
I have two Gmail adresses. I log into the first one, but when I go to the login page again, I cannot log in to the other one, because the first is automatically opened. How can I view two Gmail accounts at the same time?
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Subbu 4/17/09 9:03 AM
Hi, you can open two different accounts by using two different browsers.

For example: Login to one gmail account using Google Chrome(download from: www.google.com/chrome ) and loginto to other gmail account using Firefox (downoad from: www.mozilla.com)

Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once simipack3663 5/11/09 7:41 PM
I don't quite understand. Can you tell me step by step, please.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once mickey_india 5/11/09 10:02 PM
hmmm..??? theres nothing so doubtful in it that you cant understand, see its very easy..

download mozilla from mozilla.org, download chrome from google.com/chrome

install both . when done, open chrome. login to one of your gmails, than open mozilla, login to another gmail, thats it..

if you want to open both gmails in same browser window, you need to go to gadgets( inside settings - only standard version of gmail will show you this) add this url in gadgets http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/102461574261220822928/gmail.xml  ( this gadget will be shown below your chat contacts in your gmail account) so always handy...
if you want to open this new gmail in another tab, click on open in new window/tab option
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once nnaim 6/5/09 8:37 AM
Although I appreciated the answers, I think it is very cumbersome... I guess u have to download another browser on every computer that you want to use... or you can spend 5 mins changing the settings on your browser when it takes less 30 sec to check your inbox....

Google has to come out with a better solution to this....
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once crowe 8/27/09 11:32 AM
I agree with nnaim. Googles needs to come up with an easier way to view two gmail accounts at once.  AOL does it simply and easy to switch back and forth between screen names. If anyone has other ways.. let us know.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Conn Corrigan 9/4/09 12:49 AM
Hi,
I have actually been having the same problem, as I like to have my personal gmail and work gmail open at the same time, and it would be handy to be able to do this in the same window, rather than going from browser to browser. If  anyone can crack this problem, please let me know.

Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once niraj2709 9/4/09 6:54 AM
use Mozilla Prism
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Stacy.fabian 9/15/09 10:18 PM
I agree with everyone about being able to have two accounts open at once in the same web browser.  I don't want to have to have Mozilla AND IE open just to see my personal gmail and work gmail at the same.  Google's doing so well they can't keep up on everything (which is a good thing...you go Google), but my suggest is for them to make this a priority!!  More and more small businesses are starting up and more and more people are realizing the value in Google and all their apps.

Thanks and please help Google!!
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once medler 10/27/09 9:25 AM
Hi mickey_india

What you have posted is what I'd like to do but I don't see 'gadgets' inside my settings.
How do add this gadget to my gmail settings so that I can open multiple accounts at the same time?
Thanks

if you want to open both gmails in same browser window, you need to go to gadgets( inside settings - only standard version of gmail will show you this) add this url in gadgets http://hosting.gmodules.com/
ig/gadgets/file/102461574261220822928/gmail.xml  ( this gadget will be shown below your chat contacts in your gmail account) so always handy...
if you want to open this new gmail in another tab, click on open in new window/tab option
5 of 8 people found this answer helpful. Did you?
Yes
No
Report abuse
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Bella44 11/21/09 7:40 PM
Hi Here's a simple way: Dowload the Gmail notifier, and drag the shortcut to your desktop (or use from your Start menu).
Click to open the Notifier, then without filling anything in, click "Cancel". This will now show as an exclamation mark inside a square on your toolbar. Now click this exclamation mark, fill in your account username and password and you have one account open. Go to the exclamation mark again, click, fill in your other account details, and you have two accounts open. The disadvantage is that you can't keep one account open all the time, but it's great for when you want to have more than one account open at a time. (I have had 3 accounts open at once doing this). Good luck. Regards.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Kathlind 1/10/10 8:33 AM
I have fiddled around most of the afternoon with this idea and cannot get it to work.  I have followed instructions but each time I click on the envelopes in the quick launch area the same googlemail account comes up for both. 

I think I will have to try the different browser idea.  This is a nuisance and I would have thought Google would have sorted it by now.  There must be a great many people who would like to have more than one account open at a time.  I am in the process of moving over to web-based e-mail and am finding the cumbersome nature of accessing more than one account a real nuisance.  I have two browsers downloaded onto my computer but would like three e-mail accounts open.  I really don't want to clutter my computer with a third browser.  I do have all my googlemail forwarded to my Windows Mail (as back up) but I don't want to deal with it from there - which is why I am using Googlemail.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once ramraj07 1/10/10 9:02 AM
Just use Google Chrome's Incognito feature. In google chrome just press Ctrl+Shift+N and it will open an "Incognito" window which will not read or write cookies to your browser cache. So if you go to gmail from there it will not be logged in. You can just use that window to log into another gmail account without logging out of your 1st account outside the incognito window. Firefox doesnt have an option like that yet but I think IE does.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Kathlind 1/11/10 1:06 AM
Thank you so much for your reply, ramraj07.  I have located what IE calls private browsing and your suggestion works.  I have just looked at Firefox and there is the facility for private browsing there, too.  I did try opening a second private browsing in IE to see if I could have three gmail accounts open at the same time  in IE but the second private browsing window opened with the same e-mail address as in the first.  Logging out and trying to log into a different address meant being logged out of the first PB window, too.  So it would seem only one private browsing window at a time can be used for gmail.

However, using your idea it would seem it might be possible to be signed into two gmail accounts in each browser - plenty for my purposes.  I now don't need to bother with a third browser.

Many, many thanks again for your help. 
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Bella44 2/3/10 10:51 AM
Hi Kathlind You might try this: make sure you are signed out of all your gmail accounts each time, then I think you will be able to use the gmail notifier as above. Good luck!
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once tudor2009 2/3/10 11:13 AM
I have 2 Google accounts because I needed to change the original Gmail address. Google won't let me replace the Gmail address associated with my primary Google account (with ALL my other analytics, adwords, etc. etc.) so I had to create a new Gmail/Google account. I can't migrate anything to the new Gmail/Google account, so I use one Google/Gmail account for email, and another for almost everything else. Why can't I just replace the Gmail address on my account and have a single account? Plz Google, fix some of these account management issues.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once amirsalr 2/3/10 12:00 PM
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Giggle123 2/13/10 5:28 PM
I agree with the previous respondents, I have a personal gmail account and have just set up another gmail account for more general use. Now I cannot access my main personal gmail account. Well done Google mail! I thought it would be simple to access both accounts, but really it is a messy means of configuration at present. Clearly Google mail does encourage direct contact either, which at the very least would provide some reassurance, instead of having to write third hand notes on pages like this. Really frustrating! What is the point of having another browser when I have Google??? Do you agree?
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once ekwyou 3/15/10 12:34 PM
We're not seeing the full picture on this... for years i've been able to keep 3 or even 4 accounts open at the same time... on all three computers i've got... all i had to do was click a new IE window (a new window session, not just a new tab) and log in.... so it's been generally possible for a long time...

With google as my home page (which tells you if you're logged in or not) clicking a new window session would not bring in the fact that i was already logged into a g-mail account in the prior sessions/windows of IE....  So i could log into as many e-mail addresses as i had open indepentant sessions of IE. 

One thing i did notice, was that If i clicked a link in the original session which opened another session/window of IE... it would remember that i was already logged in and so i couldn't use that new window to log into another g-mail account... but again, a fresh session always allowed me to login with new usernames...

now on this new computer of mine it's not working... opening a new session already remembers i'm logged in... SUCKS!!!  There's got to be some setting cuasing the problem...
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once phaynes 3/26/10 8:40 AM
I was able to open 3 accounts at once.  I did this accidentally while trying to figure out how to open 2, using ramraj07's suggestion, by downloading Google Chrome.  I then opened my 2nd gmail in Chrome.  Then I tried the Incognito feature, and it allowed me to have the same gmail open in two places. So I had 3 open at once, one in two places.  I did not need this, of course, but thought maybe someone with 3 emails might find this useful.  Thanks, ramraj07! :-)
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once onionsauce 4/7/10 4:49 AM
I also need to be able to access more than one Google account at the same time. I have a personal account, a work account, and I manage my daughter's account.  It is too cumbersome and annoying to be forced to log out of one account (I usually stay logged into one gmail account all the time) in order to do something  in another account.  This should easy. 

I haven't tried the workarounds suggested here, but I think they should not be necessary. This is such a pain to do this that I am considering switching to another e-mail provider.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once realpommy 5/1/10 8:48 PM
Opening two Gmail accounts at once
I see you can do this from two different browswers.

But does mean that I cannot open Gmail from two different machines using the same browser?

I'm logged on my desktop and my laptop. I cannot log on my laptop at the same tme.

Should I be able to?

Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once nht 8/15/10 5:05 PM
Yes, you can open two or more Google accounts on the same web browser.
I have learned from this genius web page:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25008/access-all-your-google-accounts-at-the-same-time-with-multiple-sign-in/

If someone has posted this already, then :). If not, then we can read; It is awesome!
Thank you, www.howtogeek.com!

Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once ashleigh_us 9/27/10 11:09 PM
To what mickey_india said
"if you want to open both gmails in same browser window, you need to go to gadgets( inside settings - only standard version of gmail will show you this) add this url in gadgets http://hosting.gmodules.com/
ig/gadgets/file/102461574261220822928/gmail.xml  ( this gadget will be shown below your chat contacts in your gmail account) so always handy...
if you want to open this new gmail in another tab, click on open in new window/tab option"

She failed to mention that the only way you could see the gadgets tab in your settings, is if you first go to the 'Labs' tab and scroll down to the bottom until you find the gadgets lab beta feature. after this has been enabled, and the page reloaded. You may go to your settings,and you will see a new tab there labeled 'gadgets'. the only issue here, is that mickey_india did not give us a valid gadget url
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Kathlind 9/30/10 3:04 AM
Many thanks to all who have posted suggestions here.  However, I have discovered that multiple login in one browser disables the offline facility to access e-mails.  As I want the facility to access e-mails when I am away from home and possibly offline I decided against using just the one browser.

I have actually discovered that having three browsers open is no great hassle.  I keep IE and Opera minimized at the side of my screen each with an e-mail account open and Firefox open with the e-mail I use most on the tab to the far left.  If you rearrange the headings of gmail so that either Inbox or Priority Inbox (there is a gadget for this in the labs setting) is at the left it is easy to see if new e-mails come in.

I am really happy with this solution as I tend to put my computer to sleep rather than keep switching it off so don't need to completely reboot all that often.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Karthi Shanmugam 10/22/10 9:57 AM
Kathlind, I found out the answer just today. Click on Settings when you are logged in gmail. Click Google Account Settings. It will open a new page where you can control all your google account services. Click Edit by the side of Multiple Sign-in. Follow the instructions and voila, you can check more than 1 gmail account in the same browser! Cheers - Karthi.
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Kathlind 10/24/10 2:36 PM
Thank you, Karthi.

I Have discovered that but unfortunately if I do multiple login I cannot access e-mails offline.  I actually keep three browsers open each with an e-mail account and find it is the simplest solution. 

Many tha nks for your reply, though.

Kathlind
Re: Opening two Gmail accounts at once Karthi Shanmugam 10/25/10 1:48 AM
You are welcome, Kathlind.

BTW, did you try Google Gears? It might work for multiple gmail logins and allow you to work offline at the same time.
I didn't try it though; just a suggestion. May be you can try and get back with your experience.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
Karthi

More topics »