Categories: Docs : Troubleshoot an issue :

Document is blank, looks like everything was erased

Showing 1-36 of 36 messages
Document is blank, looks like everything was erased mralto 8/15/12 10:24 PM
When I load my document it only shows a blank page and the editing buttons are grayed out. It looks like everything was erased or something. The link displays at the top but there is no longer any content. Is there anyway to recover what was there before? The document is over a couple months old and has been updated regularly almost every week.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased dziegman 8/15/12 11:59 PM
Check the revision history under File, See Revision History.

Hope this helps!

dziegman
(unknown) 8/16/12 12:22 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased smadams 8/16/12 12:23 AM
Having same problem >:-(
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased dziegman 8/16/12 12:28 AM
Did my suggestion help?

dziegman
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Mr. Walters 8/16/12 3:40 PM
dziegman,

I don't know if the original poster is experiencing the same problem as I am, but if he is, "File", along with most of the buttons are un-clickable. The only things you can click on is the arrow button next to the title of your document, which takes you back you your document cue. The only other thing that you can actually interact with, is the e-mail address displayed in the right-hand corner. This is so frustrating! 
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased dziegman 8/16/12 4:08 PM
I don't know if you're having the same issues.  However, let's see if we can find the cause of you case as well...

What is the browser and OS that you are currently using?  Have you tried other browsers to see if they have the same symptoms?  If not, can you do so please?

You can also post the document URL here, I can request access, and see if I get the same thing.  You'll know it's my address because it's very similar to my username.  Ignore any other requests for your safety and the safety of the document.  You can change these settings without entering the document by right clicking on it, and hitting share, and then a second share.

Hope we can get to the bottom of this! :)

dziegman
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased ToonNinja 8/16/12 4:19 PM
Dealing with the same issue. On a PC, using Google Chrome. I've been getting a "No connection detected" message on the docs list to boot...
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Mr. Walters 8/16/12 4:37 PM
dziegman,

I am using Google Chrome. Using Windows 7. When I go to Internet Explorer, it works just fine.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased booklover202 8/16/12 4:50 PM
I have same problem.  I can't open docs in chrome running windows 7 but can open it in internet explorer and firefox.
If I use incognito window in chrome I can open also, so I thought disabling all extensions would fix problem but it didn't. I've also cleared cache.
Interestingly, I went to another computer (a chrome book with chrome operating system) and could open the docs.
Clearly something in the way chrome is set up on my computer is preventing docs from opening.

Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased dziegman 8/16/12 4:59 PM
Hmm... Thanks, all, for that great info!

Can you check your chrome versions for me to make sure they're up to date?

Thanks!  :)

dziegman

Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased booklover202 8/16/12 5:13 PM
21.0.1180.79 m says up to date
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased AD:AM 8/16/12 6:03 PM
I know it's not much help to you, but just thought I'd say, I saw this behaviour on my Win7 notebook with Chrome 3 days ago, and then it just went away. I don't know if MS "Patch Tuesday" had anything to do with it.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased dziegman 8/16/12 6:57 PM
Thanks Adam!  I updated as well and never had any issues.  Can you all make sure you're up to date?

Thanks!  :)

dziegman

Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Callisto99 8/17/12 4:23 AM
I've had the same problem since yesterday - I can open my documents in IE, but in Chrome the page is completely blank and the editing buttons are greyed out and un-useable .
Excel spreadsheets work fine.
Anyone know what the problem is / or when this will be fixed?? My Chrome is up-to-date.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased SSS9 8/17/12 4:52 AM
I also started having problem since yesterday. Exactly same as mentioned by Calisto99. My Chrome is up to date and only thing I can think of some changes were pushed by Microsoft for Windows 7. Interestingly works fine in IE. I am also getting a Norton Confidential failure (crashed) and am not sure if it has anything to do with this issue. Please resolve at the earliest.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased 628 8/17/12 5:39 AM
I should have picked up on this series - I just started a new one. My documents all went blank yesterday also. Table are fine, but documents are all grayed out. You can't check revision history because you can't open any commands. This is a terrible situation for a writer! Anyone at GOOGLE listening????? I've checked out cookies, started and restarted, checked up on Chrome. Could it have anything to do with Google Drive which also appears to have taken over last night?

Last - did anyone notice any odd change notices to their documents? I did notice yesterday that a recent document had a change listed as having taken place at 4:01 AM - I did not change it at that time and was not a document I shared with anyone. Now, however, all times have been removed and only a date is visible.

Any answers appreciated!

Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased AnaLikesLattes 8/17/12 8:58 AM
Hi folks,

For those of you who are experiencing unclickable buttons and seeing a message that says that no connection was detected, please see this thread for updates. We are currently working to resolve this issue. I'm sorry that you're experiencing it in the meantime, and will do my best to post in that thread quickly once the problem is fixed.

However, it seems like some of you are seeing a different issue. When you reload the page and/or clear your browser's cache and cookies, are you able to see the text in your document? Does the text appear if you open the document in a different browser (Firefox, etc.)?

Thanks,
Ana
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Mrs Vyki Shaw 8/17/12 9:04 AM
Hello,

I have unclickable buttons only in document files (spreadsheets work fine).  Doesn't say anything about no connection - just looks as if it is about to load but it never does.

It is working fine in Internet Explorer and the issue is only occurring when I try to open them in Chrome.  Have reloaded several times, clearer cache and cookies but it made no difference.

Regards
Vyki
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased AnaLikesLattes 8/17/12 9:11 AM
Hi Vyki,

Thanks for letting me know. This is definitely the issue from the other thread I pointed out. Please see that thread for updates on the situation.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this, but we're currently working on a fix!

Best,
Ana
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased ericbro409 8/17/12 9:14 AM
Same here (no error message as someone above reported).  I am able to access those docs in an incognito window and in IE.  I'm about to try reverting to prior to yesterdays Win7 update and see it that works.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased ericbro409 8/17/12 9:30 AM
Here's an update of what I know from my situation, in case it helps...

I did a system recovery to a date prior to this week's Win7 update.  And I also deleted cookies and history for the past week.  No luck.

My wife is able to access the docs on her MacBookPro (Safari) and I can access them through the Drive app on my Android phone.

Hope this helps.

Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased AnaLikesLattes 8/17/12 9:30 AM
Hi folks,

To help us investigate, please let me know the following for each of you:

-Are you using Windows 7?
-What version of Chrome are you using?

Thanks for your patience!
Ana
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Callisto99 8/17/12 9:45 AM
Hi Ana,

Yes, I'm using Windows 7, and Chrome 21.0.1180.79 m

Thanks,
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased booklover202 8/17/12 9:47 AM
Also Windows 7 and 21.0.1180.79 m  same problems as everyone
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Callisto99 8/18/12 6:59 AM
I still can't view any of my Google docs on Chrome. 

Any news on when/if it will get fixed please?
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased UnwrittenVivian 8/19/12 8:45 PM
I'm having the unclickable buttons and empty document issue (without the connection error message) on my desktop which runs Windows XP as its OS. The laptop I'm on now runs windows 7 and accesses the documents just fine, which is a big relief cause it lets me know that they're still all there. I haven't been able to check if I can use a different browser to open documents on my desktop as Internet Explorer is WAY out of date and doesn't run right...
Anyhow, I hope this info helps!
Thanks for your time. :)
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased UnwrittenVivian 8/19/12 9:18 PM
Oh, and I just noticed that I don't have the Google Drive Chrome Web app on my laptop, but I don on my desktop.
Once again, I hope this helps.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Bozonomous 8/20/12 5:23 PM
It didn't help

Is goggle supposed to fix this?
It looks like its their fault to me

Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Bozonomous 8/20/12 5:23 PM
I would say no
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Bozonomous 8/20/12 5:27 PM
Its windows 7
I thought when you had chrome, you always had the latest chrome
I thought it was web based?

Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased daniellli 8/20/12 8:15 PM
have the same issue. can access google docs on i explorer, or on different computers but not on my computer at home, this is VERY annoying. can access spreadsheets
how can we fix this?
I uninstalled and reinstalled google chrome and it didnt help
(unknown) 11/6/12 9:48 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased 17teen 11/6/12 10:57 AM
Hi Ana,

Hyde, a google doc support wasnt able to help me this restoring our spreadsheet. I saw you have success on restoring spreadsheets. I hope you could help.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuGv072rJSZLdC1JREUwaE9KeDZZcDZMbDNJUGVBRVE

here's our spreadsheet. Kindly help me recover it asap.
Re: Document is blank, looks like everything was erased Bozonomous 11/9/12 3:39 PM
did they ever fix it so you can use google docs on google chrome with out being a computer expert?
If so I will try again

More topics »