Categories: Discuss Chrome :

This topic has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.

Showing 1-43 of 44 messages
This message has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Dejan1024 5/18/09 2:25 PM
You can't turn off the status bar.

The status was designed to stay out of your way, except when it has something to show (when pointing to a link). That's why it's popping up from time to time.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Dejan1024 5/18/09 3:38 PM
Well, I'm sorry you're leaving...
You know, Firefox's status bar is always up, even when there's nothing to show :)
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Dejan1024 5/19/09 10:38 AM
I have to check something.
Chrome's status bar is not supposed to be "blinking". It is supposed to fade in when you hover over a link, and after half a second of leaving the link fade out. If you go to another link in the meantime, the status bar will stay visible, instead of fading out and back in.
Is this the behavior you don't like or is the status bar behaving differently on your Chrome?
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? SillyWilly 5/21/09 2:58 AM
Ah yes, the distracting status bar popup. It's the only bad thing about google chrome. In addition to being very distracting, you also can't see the full url on long urls or for links in footers of sites if the cursor is directly above where the status bar needs to popup. Without this problem though, Chrome would be the best.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? sihouse 10/1/10 7:35 AM
It is annoying -- if you have links at the bottom of a page (example, a persistent social media bar), the status bar can sometimes pop up over the top of a link, making it impossible to see the button underneath.

The way around it is to use javascript onclick instead of a hyperlink - but that's not the point.  Moving towards HTML5, we should be encouraged to use real HTML instead of using hacks to beat certain browsers odd behaviours.

I notice IE9 does this too ...  browser developers please KEEP your UI-chrome off the rendered web page.  Thank you.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Dejan1024 10/2/10 2:12 AM
The status bar is supposed to move out of the way if there are links under it. When your mouse is near the end of the page, the status bar moves below the window. If there is no space there or Chrome is maximized then the status bar moves to the right of the window. So it shouldn't be covering your links in any situation.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? theOriginalB-Dubs 10/17/10 6:41 AM
well the fact is, is that its not out the way. and annoying. so ya'll need to build the functionality to turn it off.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? heymattay 10/28/10 12:34 AM
First, I'd like to point out that Chromes status bar is a great idea. It's nice to have those few extra pixels while browsing. However, it would be great if it could be toggled. Like, have the ability to keep it how it is, give it it's own bar at the bottom, or turn it off altogether. Maybe even move it around the window here or there. I find it especially irritating when Facebook takes it sweet time to load and the bar is there covering up convos. I understand it moves when the mouse gets near it, but that's still another motion that needs to take place, a fairly unnecessary one.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? vasa1 10/28/10 7:50 AM
@heymattay: Google Chrome's devs don't seem to be too keen on providing options for most non-essential things. Firefox seems more obliging in that respect. Whether its willingness to provide so many options detracts from performance in terms of security, speed, memory management, etc is another matter.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? abczzz 12/5/10 1:46 PM
It is annoying, I will never buy anything with name "google" every again, will tell anybody and everybody that DO NOT BUY GOOGLE TV. IT has this crappy annoying distracting retarded pop up for every URL.... IT IS ANNOYING take it off.....
Expected much better from Google.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? mwinter 12/17/10 8:16 AM
The chrome status bar is also quite annoying when you're looking at a google docs spreadsheet, trying to click on different sheets. the buttons to change sheets are in the bottom left, right where the status bar keeps flashing on and off. boo
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? mic773 12/30/10 12:49 PM
I don't get it - why not just give a setting in Chrome to keep the status bar on top at all time, or disable it altogether?! It obviously annoys a whole lot of people and quite honestly, it's experience-breaking for me. If this won't be addressed there is no chance I'll ever move to Chrome - it's really THAT annoying.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Kif 3/2/11 11:17 AM
I've been obliged to install Chrome for work purposes.

And 'obliged' has turned out to be the operative word.

Sorry, but I hate it. It never tells me stuff I need to know, like whether an extension or a theme is installing or has been installed without having to close and reload the browser, and believe me there is a fine line between clean design and inaccessibilty. I can't find diddly squat, because it's all tucked away in layers of settings menus.

But what I detest, above everything else, is that damn distracting Status Bar up and down, up and down, up and down all the flippin' time! I've decided that I don't need Xmas lights this year - I'll just go to a busy page on Wiki and roll my mouse cursor up and down the page for a while. Should keep the kids amused for ages...

I'm not surprised Google won't allow Chrome users to disable the wretched thing, because it would be an admission that it was a ghastly mistake in the first place.It's like having some demented fly buzzing around just on the periphery of your vision.

I can appreciate why regular users might prefer Chrome, as there are some nice touches, but I praise whatever deity there may be that when I'm browsing for myself, Firefox exists.

Still, the fact that Google's spell checker doesn't recognise the word "Google" has given me a good laugh.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Ranglefant 3/10/11 9:57 AM
That statusbar is the most annoying part of chrome I've ever seen. Chrome is damn good but at the moment the statusbar is blocking part of the actual webpages I am trying to view. Its blocking vital information which makes me have to drag the mouse down to the bar, make it move, read the information, move the mouse up (ohh its over the view again..) and try to click on new options... rinse and repeat until yer happy.

Why oh why would you choose to block part of the webpage?
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? millerk310 3/19/11 12:32 PM
Wow, for two years people have been begging to have the status bar fixed and still nothing!?! Can it be so horrible to give your users the option to decide how they want their status bar to be displayed? Most of the time I'm ok with it actually (on a white page). But especially on a page with a dark background and when I have the browser displaying in full screen mode, that damn thing popping up on every link my mouse moves across is SO annoying. Can't you at least give us an option to disable the status balloon in full screen mode? Or at least adjust the opacity? Change the color? SOMETHING? How do you expect anyone to use your software when you can't grant such a simple request that so many people are complaining about?
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? jim_h 3/24/11 12:36 PM
After 2 days of trial, it's over for me and Chrome.  The reason is that INCREDIBLY ANNOYING STATUS BAR that's constantly blabbering away at bottom left, helpfully popping up with the URL of every link I mouse over.

Say Google, why not just hire Clippy?  I hear he's looking for a new gig after Office dropped him.  

Google is acquiring a bit of a reputation for never really 'finishing' things.  I'm going back to Opera or Firefox, which are always moving forward, and highly configurable.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? dcinzona 5/10/11 11:24 AM
This is actually a big problem when editing excel workbooks in the browser.  It's extremely annoying trying to switch sheets!!
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? bdv3 8/21/11 12:06 PM
I've been reading about this status bar thing for a little bit now. All I can say is that I don't really care what the justification for and purpose of this status bar is. Telling me these things isn't helping. What I want is the status bar to not be there. Period.
(unknown) 12/4/11 9:01 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? laugurinn 1/28/12 2:06 PM
this is real fin stupid google
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? breadguy 7/17/12 9:47 AM
I really want to turn it off...
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? hanseartic 8/28/12 2:24 AM
I was going to make chrome the default-browser in one of my client's companies. Now we decided to keep Firefox, until this annoying bug is removed from chrome.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? bigcharles 10/18/12 11:13 PM
OMG. Goog. Goog dudes. Chrome engineers...GIVE US A WAY TO TURN THE FREAKING THING OFF, woudja?

Proofing designs in full screen mode it's INCREDIBLY DISTRACTING.  :-(

Pul-leeze.  All those fancy code inspector features, and nothing for this? It's not a lot to ask.

(As a last resort, maybe someone could build an extension/plug in?)

Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Generic ID 10/23/12 8:10 AM
"Supposed to?" WTH? So now reality does not matter, only what some developer thinks should be happening is what matters. Is some Chrome developer's need for a false reality that is always consistent with his expectations more important than users' de facto experiences.

The only issues considered should be what Chrome is ACTUALLY doing for users. The fact is, the status bar is in the way for some people. IT IS IN THE WAY FOR ME. For me, the link covers a map scale in the lower left. When I change zoom level, I can't tell what the scale is on the map. Once I've rolled over a link, that status bar remains there, blocking the scale, until I go to another tab and then return. That 'solution' is unacceptably lame. I don't care what some developer thinks my weather forecasting map "should" be doing so that the status bar does what Google says it "should" do. I am *telling you* what is happening. I CANNOT SEE INFORMATION DUE TO THE EVER-PRESENT STATUS BAR. Stop drinking the Kool Aid and fix this broken (yes - BROKEN) part of Chrome. If it hurts the user, IT IS BROKEN. Allow the user to hide the status bar. (Perhaps Google cannot fix the problem? Perhaps this problem was fundamentally engineered into Chrome in an irreversible way, with Google too embarrassed to tell users the truth?)
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? bp0001 11/5/12 3:54 PM
Google - QUIT COVERING UP PAGE CONTENT. I have pages where the damn thing NEVER goes away, no matter what I hover over. Do you know how many sites put fixed content in the lower left portion of the screen? For a button to hide a sidebar, to give just one example?

Yes, I know it slides down when I hover over it. And no, I don't want to tell my clients "well, the button is there but Google has this asinine thing that they think should be there instead of my navigation button."

So I switched to Firefox just to take screenshots for a user's manual for my web applications. Pretty nice browser. Think I'll just use it for everything and recommend it to my clients.

Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Michele Cajano 11/29/12 1:30 AM
That status bar is damnin annoying because is OVER the loaded page, not under.
Sometimes i have to wait seconds to see information beneath.
That's the reason why it's annoying!
Very often Totals or Buttons appears just at the bottom of a page, UNDER THAT BAR!
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Chris Stuart 12/4/12 1:41 PM
I need a way to turn off the status bar. I'm trying to record a video of a foreign language site, Chrome does the best job of translating the site on the fly, but the status bar keeps popping up covering content/links and makes recording impossible.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? That's The One 1/21/13 9:30 AM
You got it! So annoying, and seems like it would be really easy to fix, so I don't understand why we are still having to be annoyed and now even downright mad every time that stupid, unreadable bar pops up and forces my eyes to go there for a split second. Love Chrome, but this is ridiculous!
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? That's The One 1/21/13 10:01 AM
****OK I have a solution! You can use a theme creator to turn the color of the status bar black (or any color really) and also the text is black- so now the goofy, blurry text in that status bar is black on black, or basicaly, gone!
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? md_jt 2/1/13 2:39 PM
Same issue here. Switching to Firefox again I guess. This is getting in the way of my work I need to do and work chats. Why can't it be a separate bar at the bottom or the top. I searched all over online for a few and found YEARS AND YEARS of people complaining about this.

Why not make it optional, or as I mentioned a way to turn it off??

Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Scott J. Fox 5/12/13 6:32 AM
just adding that it's almost halfway through 2013, and this is still annoying.

There's a webpage where the 'submit' and 'next stage' buttons are down in the bottom left, and there's different links around there too.
it gets in the way so fracking much.

Can't we please just pin it or disable it or even have the option to move it to the right hand side by default instead?!
Whyyyyy

There are sooooo many threads on soooo many forums, including Google's own, complaining about this issue..
Since 2009?!

God, Google. I love you to death-- but I swear to god you're so unwilling to modify projects at all. You seem to start something, get about 60-75% to perfection, then get bored and move onto something else you'll never finish.
Every. Single. Fucking. Thing.

You don't listen to any user input,
and just,
God; I don't even know what the fuck you guys are doing anymore.

I love you, Google. but You're breaking my friggin' heart.

(unknown) 5/30/13 2:34 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Phill Moran 6/20/13 8:18 PM
looks like --start-maximized --kiosk works just fine.
But then again, if you want an address bar (I dont) it removes them as well...
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Lance Caraccioli 7/25/13 3:09 PM
I'm surprised that no developers have mentioned that if you mouse past the status bar on the way down to developer tools that the status bar covers the tab buttons.  This is a problem.  This may be intended behavior, but it's a user experience bug in my opinion.
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Ben.november25 8/5/13 1:12 AM
FIX THIS SHITTTTT
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Wave S. 8/23/13 10:21 AM
PLEASE!!!!!!! JUST REMOVE THE GOD DAMN USELESS ANNOYING THIIIIIIINNNNNNG!!!!! PLZZZZZZ
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Max Favilli 10/11/13 10:16 AM
It's really annoying and driving me crazy... I can't understand how possibly developers at google are not pissed of by that behavior too... Maybe they use Firefox?
Re: The pop up status bar. How do I turn the bloody thing off? Edoardo RONCONE 10/14/13 9:32 AM
Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. Google CHROME,

Please let the user chose their own destiny, add a stinking toggle please.

'cause my cat has a tendency to attack the pop-ups and I have a tendency to get annoyed.

More topics »