Categories: Discuss Chrome :

How do I change the default email client?

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
How do I change the default email client? striphe 7/4/09 3:32 PM
If I click a mailto: url Outlook opens. I want Chrome to open Gmail. This is doable in FF, but I haven't found the settings in Chrome yet.2009-07-05

Thanks for the help, I'll use the bookmarklet script until its included in Chromium
2009-07-05

http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_windows.html

Installing the notifier gives you the option to assign gmail as the default for "mailto:" links. I'd prefer to not install another program to make something simple like this work, but it will do for now.

Re: How do I change the default email client? †Tommy G.† 7/4/09 3:50 PM
There is no "setting" in Chrome for default mailto.  Go to Set program access and defaults and see if you can do it there.
Re: How do I change the default email client? striphe 7/4/09 4:26 PM
I checked under "internet settings" in Control Panel but the only choices were Outlook or Hotmail. Is it possible to change it in this manner?
Re: How do I change the default email client? †Tommy G.† 7/4/09 4:50 PM
If you can't change it from Set Program Access, then it can't be done.  I did some research about this myself for me.  If certain programs don't "register" with Microsoft, they are not an option to select for default.  Pisses me off that I can't have my very many years old AOL mail as my default account.
I've just resided in the fact I have to copy and paste to my account or sometimes I use a bookmarklet that will send the mail for me.
I think I will suggest this in the Chromium Issues website.
Re: How do I change the default email client? jujuridl 4/7/10 1:36 PM
Here's how I got Chrome to open mailto: links in Gmail. It's catywampus, but it works for now.  First, install the Google notifier, and make sure it's set with the google account you prefer to use for mailto links. Then, go to the Mail program, open it, choose Preferences under the apple menu, then General, and under the Default Email reader, choose the Google Notifier.  Alternately you could use a Gmail reader like MailPlane, which I've used before when mailto wouldn't talk to Gmail.

I know, crazy that Chrome doesn't play happily with gmail, huh? If there's a better way to do this, I'd love to know. This doesn't open up gmail in Chrome, but just a compose window for my account, but it's not bad.
Re: How do I change the default email client? †Tommy G.† 4/7/10 1:43 PM
Since the original post, there is a new program that sets any of a few clients as default.  It's great, I use it for my years old AOL mail.
Re: How do I change the default email client? twilock 10/4/10 8:23 AM
Yes it can be done.  You do not need to install any other program or notifier if you have Windows Vista.  Click on Start then program defaults, then click on the last option of "set program access and program defaults".  Choose Custom then the down arrow, set your default browser as Chrome then choose your default email client.  Hope this helps someone.
Re: How do I change the default email client? Cogent 11/14/10 9:52 AM
twilock - even though Im using Chrome to write this response to you, my computer doesnt even give me the option to set Chrome as the default (will probably have to do on Chrome itself) and my choices for default email client are Outlook, Opera, and Windows Mail.

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that Google creates their own browser but it doesnt even play well with their own email service. As a huge Google fan and user of almost all their products, this is annoying and disappointing.
Re: How do I change the default email client? wilton.roberts 4/11/11 10:26 AM
There is a Chrome APP that solves this: go to https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/pgphcomnlaojlmmcjmiddhdapjpbgeoc
Re: How do I change the default email client? Jon_Roland 5/9/11 11:10 AM
I use Chrome on Linux and just need to know where to find the configuration file where I can manually change the default email client from Evolution to Thunderbird, as I was able to do for Firefox.
Re: How do I change the default email client? chirdaki 8/3/11 3:37 PM
Hi all,

Solution for mac (10.5 for me, but its v similar for others)

go to mail -> sys pref -> general -> default mail app -> choose from dropdown list, sparrow for me.

done!
Re: How do I change the default email client? _skip_ 9/23/11 8:10 AM
I've been searching the forums and didn't find a suitable answer for this yet. I managed to find a way to do it using an old trick from Firefox days. I'll describe the goal and then list the instructions.

In Chrome, when I click mailto: links, I want Chrome to open a GMail compose window instead of using the system default mailto handler (Outlook). I want mailto links on the rest of the system to use Outlook, but in Chrome I'd rather have it use GMail. In order to do this, I needed to add a protocol handler to Chrome. Back in the day (two or three years ago), this was accomplished by following the steps here: <a href="http://lifehacker.com/392287/set-firefox-3-to-launch-gmail-for-mailto-links">Lifehacker: Set Firefox 3 to Launch Gmail for mailto Links</a>. The current Chrome didn't allow it to work and I couldn't find a way to add a protocol handler manually. After some poking around, I found a way to make it work.

1. Enable javascript handling in Chrome. You may be able to do this through the options menu, but I did it manually.
a. Close Chrome
b. In a text editor, open C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Local State
c. Find the protocol handler section:
   "protocol_handler": {
      "excluded_schemes": {
         "afp": true,
         "data": true,
         "disk": true,
         "disks": true,
         "file": true,
         "hcp": true,
         "javascript": true,
         "mailto": false,
         "ms-help": true,
d. Find "javascript": true, and change it to false: "javascript": false,
e. Save the file
2. Launch Chrome
3. Open <a href="http://www.gmail.com">GMail</a> and login
4. In the address bar type or copy and paste
javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandler("mailto","https://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&url=%s","GMail")
and press Enter or hit Go.
5. You're done.
6. To cleanup, close Chrome, change the javascript setting back to true in Local State.

Now, when you're surfing craigslist and need to send a personal email with GMail instead of work email (outlook), simply click on the mailto: link and it'll open in GMail compose instead of Outlook.

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me.
Re: How do I change the default email client? awick001 3/1/12 8:28 AM
this might help:
Go into control pannel--> then add/remove programs--> then Set program access and defaults.... Once you click the set program access and defaults button you'll see in the second section the question: Choose a default email program: before the problem the box "use my current e-mail program" was selected. I then chose Microsoft Outlook and apply. Then I tested it and it immediately fixed the problem. When I went back into the control panel and add/remove programs etc to write this I did notice that now the "use current email program"  is selected, but the problem is fixed. Hope this helps fix your issue...
Re: How do I change the default email client? mariodino 3/16/12 2:22 AM
I want to set Yahoo as my default email. When I go to windows to open up the default programs. Yahoo is not available.

How can I fix that?

Re: How do I change the default email client? Miggy Smalls 6/29/12 2:18 PM
I have 10.6.8 and it is still sending me to Gmail when I click an email link and it's totally annoying.  I want to use Apple mail 4.5 that is on my Mac because I want it sent from my default email which isn't Gmail.  I went in and did it in the General settings but stil makes Gmail compose.  Any Ideas?  Thanks
Re: How do I change the default email client? TFMB 9/15/12 9:35 AM
Thanks, Twilock.  This worked for me with Vista and setting AT&T Yahoo as the default.