Categories: Discuss Chrome :

How do I open a local file in Google Chrome?

Showing 1-19 of 19 messages
How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? Perlster 12/16/08 12:00 PM
I can type "file:///C:/wherever/filename.html" into the address bar to open it, but I find no way to browse my computer and navigate to a local file. Surely an "open folder" icon among the back, forward, refresh and home icons would be fairly easy to implement. Or perhaps a context-menu in the address bar to select "Open local file..." or any such thing. Something needs to be added, though.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? blaine.varner 12/16/08 12:05 PM
ctrl O opens the Open window and lets you browse your computer.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? Perlster 12/16/08 4:06 PM
By golly, ctrl-O does the job. I can't believe I didn't think to try that.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? Master Chief 3/5/09 8:29 PM
Prey tell me why this is not part of the usual File->Open Menu?
Unless it is an internal tool, it should not have a basic function, hidden as an easter egg!
Just peeved as I was forced to search for this on the web!
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? puneetjain86 7/26/09 11:20 PM
How do i give a link to local file system on my web page so that it opens in chrome
it working fine in IE but not in Mozilla and chrome.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? indivisible 11/4/09 3:52 PM
puneetjain86: It is a safety issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#Things_to_consider

For FF there are two extension options, IE Tab and LocalLink. I don't know how to bypass this in Chrome though I am looking for myself too.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? lindyfly 2/6/10 1:30 PM
I truly truly agree with Master Chief - this is really annoying! I've stopped using Google Chrome several times because I like having the File Open feature - especially as I am working on websites and want to preview.  Hidden as an Easter Egg - JUST PEEVED too that I had to search on the web to find the answer!  Hope it works.  LindyFly
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? hendryjl 3/12/10 2:51 PM
A new extension was just posted today! It's called LocalLinks and it replicates the functionality of the locallink add-on for Firefox! You'll find it on the Google Extensions page, or you can get to it directly here:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/jllpkdkcdjndhggodimiphkghogcpida

Enjoy!
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? toddcbrf2 10/23/10 10:55 AM
Security makes sense but  really needs to be fixed or accounted for for intermediate or advanced users.  For work, I've created a page with links on it to open different files in xlsx, pdf, docx, dwg, dxf, jpg, ...etc and is not possible to do with Chrome.  For this reason, I can't use it - would like to but can't so back to IE.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? ANONYMOUSLY 11/1/10 1:13 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been very frustrated at not being able to "file/open..." a local item in Google Chrome.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? paperbeagle 6/30/11 11:20 AM
amen... it makes no sense to remove completely benign, expected functions - or flipping hide them!! I will only use chrome on my PC netbook and only when I have to - because of this sort of thing. It costs me time (=$) spending time trying to figure out what "gadgety" way google chrome does something basic that is easily found on other browsers. I mean, really.. why do this? You should never, ever HAVE to know the shortcut key to get to something, ever. There should always be a direct way. It is simple user interface design basics... who decided this? Bob the new guy?
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? lorijh 8/24/11 5:25 PM
Does this mean one cannot open a local file WITH the Chrome browser? When I do control-O, it treats the file as a download -- even if I choose Chrome from a list of programs to open the file. That seems weird to me.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? adeucalion 9/5/11 3:12 PM
This was helpful. Likewise Control S Saves the page. Wonder what else I can find?
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? Blu52 10/1/11 12:49 PM
It's taken me a while to discover that Chrome didn't include a local file button or link in this release. It's about as thoughtless as not including the ability to mail an entire web page instead of just a link. (Yes I have the add-on to do that now.) Perhaps a new version with at least these two major omissions fixed would be in order for an otherwise excellent product.

Thanks for what you have done so far. So nice not to have to wade through all the MS BS to get where you want to go. Not the equal of fire fox but close.  Make the fix please.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? Genrobgen 2/27/12 8:52 AM
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jllpkdkcdjndhggodimiphkghogcpida

This addon helpsl.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? jghoward 4/25/12 8:11 PM
Because the usual way of doing things is not the best way. Obviously Chrome intends to strip away unnecessary clutter, and lose the "click around" aspect.  Shortcuts are  your friend.  Learn to use them.  Here's a list:
https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=157179

Also, they are not hidden- Like most software, you can search the built in help system- For example, "Open File" One should do this anyway- just read the help system- there's a whole section called "New to Chrome"

Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? textynn 12/5/12 1:24 PM
I have noticed web page editor becoming harder and more obscure.  I think they are tying to make it something people need training to do.  In the past, html was pretty easy but now it a lot harder.  Easy things made difficult on an ongoing basis.  It's just annoying.
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? ak47007 12/10/12 8:19 AM
Thanks!
Re: How do I open a local file in Google Chrome? Rex Too 1/28/13 7:03 PM
google chrome will not load local file by default.
In order to make it to load local file, simply to launch google chrome with additioanl argument in the command window as following:

chrome.exe --allow-file-access-from-files

For more infor, visit http://www.askyb.com/chrome/open-local-file-in-google-chrome/