Categories: Need advice? :

"Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ???

Showing 1-110 of 110 messages
"Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? ideamaned 5/22/12 7:36 AM
I've got QR codes hooked up to Google Places pages for various different businesses. Suddenly I have noticed that when the QR codes are scanned by a mobile device, like an iPad, the Google Places listing appears but there is no link to "write a review" or "upload photos." 

Previously, a user could scan the QR code, be taken straight to the Places page, and if they chose to, they could hit the "Write A Review" button and immediately rate and post a review. Now that button is missing, along with the "Upload a Photo" button. 

This is a serious flaw that has popped up.

Of course, if somebody has the Places app, they can still post a review. Or if they take the shortened link associated with the QR code and enter it into a normal computer browser, then these two buttons show up. But this is too much trouble to go through for a lot of people.

What is going on? Will this be fixed?

I am disappointed and might be encouraging merchants to cultivate positive reviews on other sites unless this gets fixed really quick.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? vanessagene 5/22/12 9:37 AM
What phones are you seeing this on? iOS? Android?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? ideamaned 5/22/12 9:47 AM
The new iPad.

I'm shocked that the "Write A Review" button is missing. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? vanessagene 5/22/12 10:03 AM
Can you post a screenshot, so I can see what you're seeing?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? ideamaned 5/22/12 10:43 AM

The QR code is for an Applebees location. If I scan it with my iPad, it takes me to the Google Places review page, BUT - "Write A Review" button is missing, along with the "Upload A Photo" button. This is something new. Previously, those buttons were present.

The screen shot shows the Google Places page for a restaurant called "Romano's." You can see those buttons are missing. The same thing is happening on multiple other Google Places pages that I have checked.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? ideamaned 5/22/12 10:45 AM
(I haven't had an opportunity to check this with an Android phone yet.)
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? judsta 5/22/12 6:23 PM
I wanted to print my places QR code on back of business card to make it convenient for clients to link reviews, but after scanning it with my iphone and realising you can not post a review on google places via mobile device i decided it was pointless.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? treebles 5/22/12 7:31 PM
It is possible with an Android device, Google does not develops the Maps app. so rating and reviewing Local listings might no be available on iOS devices.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? vanessagene 5/23/12 10:04 AM
Got it - Thanks for the screenshot! I'm sending this along to the team so they can investigate. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? vanessagene 5/25/12 12:56 PM
Team's investigating, I think it's a bug.

Thanks for sitting tight,
Vanessa
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? ideamaned 5/25/12 1:09 PM
Good! Thanks for moving this forward Vanessa. Looking forward to the repair.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? MBlumenthal 5/25/12 1:49 PM

For those of you that are desperate and need an iPad to get to a page that will give them the review button you can create a url like this that will work on an iPhone or iPad:

To generate the URL go into the dashboard and click on View.

Another tactic is to take the regular cid and add the "open review box" code to it:

This URL will take the iPhone or iPad directly to the mobile review form
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? TKW 5/30/12 7:31 PM
Yes, I am also seeking help. My review button is suddenly missing from my Google Places business listing and I am unable to get reviews from customers. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? marnel 6/1/12 2:22 PM
So since I can't enter a business catogry and it won't let me submit until I do - I can't use google place for my business?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? marnel 6/1/12 2:41 PM
Hi, I went into Foxfire and into Google Places.  It took my information.  Was this a way to go I hope?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? vanessagene 6/2/12 2:40 PM
@marnel If it worked in Firefox and it let you submit your listing information, then it sounds like it worked. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? nkrasinski 6/4/12 11:30 AM
I am having the same issue. We had QR codes set up to go to the page in this format  https://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=3291747407840809159&dtab=2&action=openratings as  MBlummenthal suggests; however, from mobile devices (both android and IOS) it brings up write a review info, but does not appear after hitting post. 

Our after thought was to send them to "https://plus.google.com/###############/about"   page and have them click the link to write a review, while this works fine on a desktop version, the same URL sends you to your personal stream on Google+ rather than the correct business page via mobile devices (again both android and ios).

It seems to me that it would be in Google's best interest to allow people to write reviews from mobile devices, since so many people are using them. How can this be easily accomplished with the recent updates?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Jade W. 6/5/12 4:37 PM
Yeah, with the latest update, looks like links to local Google+ pages in mobile web aren't going where we want them to. The team is trying to figure it out. Workaround right now is to direct users through the Google Maps or Google+ app on Android.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? michaelnorth 6/15/12 5:40 PM
Hi Jade!

Could you please give us an update on this?

I can't speak to iOS functionality per Mike B., it appears Android users simply CANNOT write a Google review on their mobile devices. Reviews I've written today on the old-style Maps / Places interface (star rating + review snippet) do not appear publicly that I can see -- off to deep space. And there is no mobile review functionality for Google+.

This is HUGE for us -- along with local SEO, we build mobile sites -- and without Google review functionality, a good deal of value is lost. Hope to have this issue resolved soon. Straightforward mobile reviews are essential. Thanks!

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? nkrasinski 6/18/12 5:29 AM
Hey Michael, we have found a work around for writing a review on a mobile device. It is not perfect or ideal and certainly not as simple as a mobile version will be, but it is a way to get people to write reviews.

Here are the directions for the URL you want to use. (Google is making a lot of updates and all of this is subject to change at any moment)     Go to Google plus Local (https://plus.google.com/u/0/local)   Do a search for the business you want to write reviews for: Be as specific as possible, the goal is to have only 1 result show up in the search results (use identical company name, address, etc)  Now that you've performed the search, copy the resulting URL....it should look like this: https://plus.google.com/u/0/local/Commerce%2C%20MI/s/Burger%20King%20union%20lake%20road

This URL can then be used as a QR code for a mobile device...the user simply presses the "pencil" in the right corner of the listing. Interesting enough, the user can also click the title that brings them to the Plus local page via this search results page, but linking directly to this page with a QR code results in the user landing on their personal plus stream rather than the page....it's an oddity. I can only think that has to do with some kind of referrer filter.

Anyway, it is not pretty, and I hope Google comes up with a working mobile solution soon, but this is better than nothing at this point.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Jade W. 6/18/12 9:51 AM
No big updates yet. We're still working on it!
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? DelenaR 6/25/12 11:07 AM
I am also experiencing this, on the iPhone.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? JSwish 6/26/12 11:24 AM
This is also negatively affecting the companies that I represent, and subsequently me.  Hopefully it's fixed soon (Places app not working on 1st gen ipad etiher - screen gets stuck after I hit the Post button).   Royal PITA.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? paullee357 6/28/12 9:35 AM
My Clients are seeing the same problem.  They have QR codes on all of their invoices and business cards that accurately creates the right URL for Places with the "Write a Review" Button.  But Mobile devices are showing a mobile layout of the same page with the "Write a Review" button missing
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? bigkelleh 7/10/12 7:41 AM
Any updates now? We bought an ipad to specifically get more google reviews, but we cant get any because its a mobile device.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? aaronff 7/10/12 8:06 AM
Yes, Google needs to fix this quickly!!!!!!
aaronff 7/10/12 8:06 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Jade W. 7/10/12 10:02 AM
The Google+ Local app for iOS has been released! I announced it on my sticky thread here: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/business/7BFwjJgk_DA

This is the only reliable way to rate/review on iOS.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Infinity Fitness 7/10/12 1:46 PM
Its very nice to have an app for iOS that will allow this, but its hard enough to get clientele to use QR codes and scanners, let alone tell them they need to download yet another app just to leave a review!

As a business owner I can tell you that the slightest inconvenience will prevent someone from leaving reviews unless they are angry about something. I see my business reviews dropping quite a bit now that I can't direct people to a URL that their mobile browser can use to leave a review.  

This damaged a LOT of people's local marketing efforts (and SEO rankings) and should be resolved with something that doesn't involve downloading a completely separate app

I hope for another update soon that remedies and streamlines the situation properly, not further convolutes the review process
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? aaronff 7/10/12 1:52 PM
I agree with Infinity Fitness...who's going to go to the trouble of download a new app just so they can place a review?
Google needs to just put the review button on the google+ pages for all browsers - mobile and non-mobile.
I would like to see this done promptly!

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? nkrasinski 7/10/12 2:18 PM
I walked around a restaurant this afternoon and asked about 20 people with smart phones if they could write a review for me. All were happy to do so, and not a single person could figure out how to do it. If Google truly wants people to write reviews in order to help other customers make the best buying decision as stated in their mission, then it needs to be simple. I believe it is relatively simple on the desktop computer at this point, but the fact of the matter is more and more people are abandoning the desktop for mobile devices, plus the mobile device is available at all times. I am certainly far more likely to write a review while the experience is fresh in my mind than when I get home and life smacks me in the face.

It is quite shocking to me that Google has not put more resources into making this work easily and simply. They are already adding the hurdle that a person must join Google + to write a review, now they expect people to use an application. It is an unrealistic expectation.

Searching around the web and looking at business reviews will show you how few reviews are coming in today than in the time period prior to the changes. Everyday I wake up anxiously hoping today will be the day Google fixes this disaster, and every morning I am disappointed.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? aaronff 7/10/12 5:25 PM
I agree!
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? iammichael 7/15/12 9:58 AM
I am having the same issue can not post reviews from my mobile phone. I have one of the newer models with the ICS software and can't post reviews which is really disappointing. Google talks about how important mobile is and how smartphones are outpacing desktop computers but yet they design a system that is not mobile friendly. Crazy!!!

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? mmonty_13 7/18/12 8:50 AM
This tip does semi-help, however it still is not perfect becuase if you're not already logged into your Google account the URL will redirect you to log in. Once logged in you have to then rescan the QR code to get the listing. Best solution I have seen yet though! Thanks.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? JSwish 7/27/12 8:12 AM
Any news?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? lubner 7/31/12 11:12 AM
it's totally true......Google + is where the add a review button is....and you cannot get there from a mobile phone.....you get redirected to a mobile version in MAPS....
It's STUPID given that the world has gone mobile and especially the reviewing public us mobile.........Google who gets 50% of all reviews just shot themselves in the foot!
Perhaps they are leading us to  a google AP  just like Yelp and the rest are doing with pop up windows to download their aps........
In the meantime......people have again invested their money..........business owners ........to send reviewers to google places/ plus to make reviews.  Google just Screwed em again!
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? michaelnorth 8/11/12 10:54 PM
Well said. For review acquisition, apps and new account sign-ups are poison. We built our mobile platform on the idea that people could review local businesses at the time of service with one or two touches. Under Places, the process was simple and direct. Now, it's impossible. In its current state, the Google mobile review system is a complete disaster, as is the bizarre 30-point Zagat score, a non-intuitive dinosaur that should have been abandoned.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? nkrasinski 8/13/12 6:54 AM
I'm beginning to question whether Google ever plans to release a truly mobile version of Google + that includes the "Local" tab. At this point, even redirecting users to the non-mobile version of Google+ Local would be a better solution than redirecting to the old Google Maps mobile site. I really can't comprehend the thought process behind many of these changes.

To make matters worse, many reviews are being "posted" without being posted. When someone DOES write a review on their desktop version it displays when they are logged in to Google, but it does not post to the actual page. I have received numerous phone calls regarding this and have even experienced it myself when writing a review. It seems to be rather random, some show up and some do not with very little rhyme or reason. Reviews that are supposed to make buying decisions easier for the public are not being displayed publicly....does that seem odd to anyone else?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Marc Simcox 8/15/12 11:58 AM
Jade,

You say that this is the only "RELIABLE" way to rate/review on iOS

Is this shaping up to be the ONLY way to rate or leave a review? As it has now been almost over 3 months since people started reporting this issue. A LOT of people have spent time and resources on creating qrcodes and accompanied media to have them be worthless now, and to have yet another hoop to jump through to leave a review.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? JSwish 8/20/12 1:16 PM
Jade's on vacation.  COME BACK ONE YEAR! 
By the time this issue's resolved I'll already have switched from an Apple device to an Android one, spoofed the user-agent, and voilà.  At least I think this should work.

Now to actually do it.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Jade W. 8/20/12 4:20 PM
I'm here! And yes, right now, the only ways to write reviews on mobile are: Google Maps for Android, Google+ for Android, Google+ Local on iOS.

I don't have anything to announce at this time, but we've heard your feedback about wanting a mobile web option for reviews. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? iammichael 8/22/12 1:57 PM
I have found one other way to leave reviews from my mobile device and that is the through the Local App that was pre-installed on my phone. I have a Galaxy Nexus running ICS software.

I am assuming this is similar to the Google+ Local on iOS.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? internetlocal 8/27/12 5:00 AM
I tried using Google Maps. It worked on some not on others. A problem was that sometimes it would show the G+ Local page for the business and I could see other existing reviews, but I would be asked "Edit Your Review" as if I had already left a review which was NOT the case.

Q. On first time use how is the phone owner's G+ Account setup??

john
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? VaBeachMatt 8/29/12 7:04 AM

Jade,

How can you seriously sit there with a straight face and say that the "feedback about wanting a mobile web option for reviews" has been heard?  If that is true then it's been heard and ignored.  I don't have to tell you how long this has been going on, you responded early in the thread.

As others have already said, you simply cannot expect a customer to download an app to leave a review - it's going to kill 80% or more of positive reviews.  Yes... a FEW will be motivated enough to go home and post it - but most of the time the only people THAT motivated are people that want to post a negative review.  We all know that someone who's upset will go out of their way to post the negative review.

We're just asking for something that was already available to be brought back - FIX the ability for someone to either search via Google and leave a review, or for us to print a QR code that goes directly to the reviews with a nice big 'Submit Your Review' button at the top and bottom.  To not do this is simply Google being negligent in support of business owners.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? MBlumenthal 8/29/12 2:06 PM
 If that is true then it's been heard and ignored. 

Question asked and likely answered. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Marc Simcox 8/29/12 2:49 PM
I think more what is going to happen or at least what Google would like to have happen, is that users use the app they created to leave a review. Then in the back end google can look at it and see
  1. Has this person been at or near the gps coordinates for this location in x mount of time.
  2. Have they ever even been within x distance of the location
  3. Does this person represent a reliable authorship profile that could be trusted if leaving a review using a format that cannot be geolocated near the location being reviewed
  4. Does this review match any of the triggers for a false/spam review
Remember, Google can track you when you use their apps if they want to.

That said. I think that the functionality to read QR codes should at least be built into the damned apps they want us to use! Unless they are single handedly trying to kill QR codes for something else, say that funky Microsoft triangle shaped and color coded barcode thing
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? nkrasinski 8/30/12 5:12 AM
That makes absolutely no sense in the real world.

The first and biggest problem with that is service based business. I personally have my lawn taken care of by a company that is almost 40 miles away and have never been near their location, but I'd write them a review because they do a great job. 

Your proposed solution for Google or your guess at what Google is trying to do leaves out a huge number of service based LOCAL business. 

I don't see how that could be a solution. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Marc Simcox 8/30/12 6:46 AM
This is exactly why Google is pushing service based business to have a service area instead of a pinpoint if they are local and service everyone in a x mile radius, if you are in their service area and you review them then you qualify under numbers 1 and 2.
(unknown) 8/31/12 11:19 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 9/4/12 12:07 PM
I have found this extremely annoying as well. At Liqueo, we work with automotive dealerships VIN specific micro-sites and also do reviews, campaigns, etc. Preparing a pitch for tomorrow and this through a kink into everything. If you have the ability to go back to you QR code and redirect the link do that. What I have found is that when running the search under local you arrive upon a page like this:

https://plus.google.com/local/FL/s/precision%20kia?gl=US&hl=en-US

In the upper right there is a grey square with a pencil icon. If the user clicks this icon they can leave a review from the window that pops up.

Before this we were trying to have everyone post a review on the page AFTER the search, which has been removed by Google with no answer or solution.

https://plus.google.com/104671601081015507005/about

If you are having issues solving this, email me at scase[at]liqueo{dot}com. I can walk you through it.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? RichardBaldock 9/5/12 8:32 PM
I dont see the 'pencil' ?

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? DebbieWebby 9/7/12 9:34 PM
This is very helpful Mike, but will it work for sure?

I read on this post (item #21) says:

21. Will Google be redirecting old Places URLs to the new Google+ URLs?
Keep in mind that we can't guarantee that you'll see a permanent URL from Google for any given page on our site. If you're directing customers to your listing for reviews purposes, you might be better off asking them to search for the listing in any printed/permanent collateral you have. 

Along the same lines as above, I wonder if a link on MY site that fills the Google Search box with "My biz name in MyCity, State"?

I'm just looking for advice for best practices to facilitate customer reviews.

Thanks,
:-D

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? MBlumenthal 9/8/12 7:21 AM
DebbieWebby

At this point most practices that Google can track and ID as "soliciting" no longer work that well. I have a suspicion but do not know that may even include referrer data although your idea is a creative one. 

One way that I know would work is the written instructions handed to a customer for them to type in at their computer. Another would be a mobile review on site (possibly using the technique noted by nkrasinski on June 18)
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? DebbieWebby 9/8/12 11:10 AM
Facilitate, solicit...  Hmmm.   Fine line.

DemandForce helps customers set appointments, with my dentist, then asks them about their visit, after its over.
That seems like fairly "gentle" solicitation.  Is that frowned upon by g+?

Written instructions, or possibly a printed QR Code, for them to point their smart phone at, while still onsite...  Hmmm.
I have to say, that after sitting in a dentist's chair for an hour or so, I'd be in no mood to write a thoughtful & useful review before I leave the office.
Even after a massage or an enjoyable meal, I wouldn't want to snap back to reality to immediately write a review.
Onsite mobile reviews before they leave the office, that approach just doesn't seem realistic to me.

DemandForce's approach appears more realistic to me.  Not pushy (unlike the sound of the name: DemandForce).  The dentist, or any biz can improve their customer service via feedback.

Thanks Mike!
:-D
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? VaBeachMatt 9/8/12 1:00 PM
Honestly, any business out there that doesn't literally ask for a review and make it easy for their customers to leave them is asking to lose customers to their competition that is making it happen.  Simple human nature will tell you that most people who enjoy a service or product MIGHT mention it to their friends, but 90%+ are not going to post anything anywhere unless they are asked and it is easy to do.  However anyone that feels slighted by that business will jump through hoops to spread their negative messages EVERYWHERE.  So for a business to print out the QR codes and ask their customers to give them a review is just good business.  If you are honestly against making it easy for your happy customers, then feel free to send your future customers down the street when they look at your reviews.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Murphy-VM 9/10/12 11:43 AM
Why hasn't this been resolved yet?  This is simply retarded!  Maps & Reviews are pretty much designed for mobile devices but nobody can leave reviews.  I even just downloaded the free app for my ipad and couldn't find a way to leave reviews, it just said, PURCHASE PRO version!!!
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Marc Simcox 9/10/12 11:59 AM
While I agree with your sentiment that this should have been resolved already, I wanted to help with your app situation

This is the app you need to use  http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google+-local/id406513617?mt=8 Google doesn't make ANY Pro version software that I know of and everything they have released thus far has been free(I'm sure that someone will correct me with an app somewhere they made that isn't free) I have not installed it on an iPad, just my iPhone so I don't know with 100% certainty that this will work, just 99.999%
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Murphy-VM 9/10/12 12:12 PM
Thanks Marc!  It worked on my ipad but the app was only designed for the iphone so it was a tiny box in the middle of my screen :)  
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Marine3038 9/18/12 7:35 AM
It is amazing that Google has not yet addressed this with Apple releasing the Iphone 5 - and their partnership with Yelp (for leaving reviews).   Google stands to LOSE A LOT....   Amazing they are not doing anything about this...
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? lubner 9/18/12 8:22 AM
ATTENTION EVERYONE... Marc is CORRECT!    The war between apple and google a huge disservice to millions.  The only way right now you can use an iphone that will show up in Google + is through the ap he posted.  Good job Marc!

I work in the reputation management field.  The review system is completely unbalanced due to the exact reasons so many of you have posted.  Out of the hundreds of of happy customers through let's say a restaurant.....guess who takes the time to write a review?  The ANGRY ONE!  These linger for years dragging scores lower and lower.  Just when we are making inroads to training owners the new culture of "decision by review ratings"  they put up another huge barrier to the business owner who now "gets it" and is trying to implement a program that asks the many fans they have to leave an honest review.

It's ridiculous that the two most powerful brands wield such power and hurt their own brand by doing these things.  The searcher is their customer and their screwing them.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Marc Simcox 9/18/12 8:28 AM
ME? I always try to help and i'm glad to know that I did help at least 1 person. 2 things I try to do every day, Learn 1 new thing, and help 1 person...

Of course I will be printing out this message and showing it to everyone I meet ESPECIALLY my family to show them that I WAS RIGHT!!!! 

HAHA, Thanks.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? lubner 9/18/12 8:33 AM
Good for you Marc!!!!!   Job  well done.
Pat
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 9/24/12 4:48 PM
Hey Marc! While I agree with you the solution is to download the app, it's bothersome to a customer to download an app. At point of sale no customer wants to download an app, then login, then direct their mobile device to the business, then leave a review. It's too cumbersome. An easy solution is to just scan this:

Liqueo_com_Shawn 9/24/12 4:50 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 9/24/12 4:51 PM
Hi RichardBaldock! Leave me the name of the company and the location and I will build you a solution.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? AllaW 9/26/12 11:13 PM
...same problem here.....
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? ALEXROB 10/10/12 7:19 PM
I am truly flabbergasted that this problem exists.  Google, you should be ashamed of yourself. How can you be touting the importance of mobile and doing so much to mobilize the web through initiatives like howtogomo, while at the same time breaking very basic mobile scenarios like writing a review of a business from your device? Download an app? Are you serious?  The Google+/Places/Mobile/Maps intersection is such a clusterf*&^.  #googleyousuck
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Linda Buquet ~ 10/11/12 7:52 PM
We have a conversation going about this issue at my forum today. 

Mike Blumenthal just posted a work around there. He said:

This URL is generated by search in G+ Local that only shows a single business: Google+
When a search result is accessed on an iPad or iPhone via this pre created URL, the "pen" to leave a review is visible and active. A user can then leave a review.
To generate these:
1- Go to G+ Local. 
2- Create a search that returns only your business
3- Shorten if necessary
4- Send to iPad

So he's basically saying that's a special link you can give clients that want to review you that will let the review button (pen) show up and work.

Linda
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 10/12/12 12:01 PM
The solution for everyone will never be the same. Some will find having your customer download the app is cumbersome, some will not.

For the nots, I wrote this walk through:

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? pennpope 10/15/12 5:39 PM
how did you generate the URL the takes the user to the mobile review form?   Where do I find the CID for my page?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? pennpope 10/15/12 5:59 PM
I created the QR code from the instructions above, however the pencil is not a clickable link for me.  Still can't leave a review on a mobile device.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? susie76 11/15/12 3:11 AM
google are ridiculous...just tried to write a review about a crap solicitor who did the conveyancing on my house, on my iPad, no luck. Sort it out google!!
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Joshua Reeder 11/15/12 10:46 PM
+jade can we get an update on when this issue will be resolved or what direction it is going in ??
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 11/16/12 8:58 AM
Please see this walk through: http://cars.liqueo.com/google-local/#.UKZwTuOe9dJ

@pennpope - what mobile device are you using so I can try and duplicate the issue? OS version number too if you have it please.

Feel free to contact me for further assistance.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Jade W. 11/16/12 9:19 AM
The only ways to write reviews on mobile are: Google Maps for Android, Google+ for Android, and the Google+ Local app for iOS. All of these apps are free.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? internetlocal 11/17/12 7:52 AM

@ Liqueo_Seo_Shawn Thanks for the help.

I was able to post a review thru the browser, on my mobile phone, although the review form was not mobile-friendly.

https:/plus.google.com/local/city,state/s/businessname  replacing the city state and businessname with the actual ones ie,

Click the pencil which shows on the line with the business name (even when multiple listings appear) to get the Review Form to appear but you may need to scroll vertically and horizontally to find the Form since the view is NOT mobile friendly.

I was logged in to my g+ account, filled out the Review Form and Published it. 

So, maybe Google is closing in on giving us a way to Post a review from mobile. 

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? WBCS-Neo 12/3/12 11:57 PM
Google have been updating the review system, I'm using a Galaxy Note (phablet) and even with a Google+ account, I'm still not able to write reviews, this will probably sort itself out in a day or two hopefully as the updates are given out...
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? internetlocal 12/4/12 9:53 AM
Use Google Maps app. Search for the company name you want to review followed by their city and state.
Once their flag marker shows on map, click it to get to the Write a review button.

I hope that Google finally gets us to the position of linking to write a review from a QR code.

There is the round about way to get to it as I mention in another post above.

John
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 12/4/12 11:34 AM
@internetlocal - I am glad that walk through worked for you. I wish Google would return a mobile friendly version! Maybe after the Google-Apple situation cools down.

The only issue with relying on the app is if the customer has the app.

If not you have to bother them to download it, then sign in, then search, THEN leave the review.

Unfortunately, having a device for the business with the app on it for customers to use at the end of sale may not work as well. Google has removed reviews for the same business, regardless of login, because they were on the same IP address. Additionally, I have heard the same for numerous reviews coming from the same device under different logins being removed as well. So be careful trying to do this as well. It may work in the beginning, but later could be flagged.

Again, for the new readers, I posted a step-by-step on how you can get around the mobile site on Liqueo's Blog Page. It will direct them to a desktop site, but they can leave a review from the mobile device right then and there. This is accelerated by using a QR, NFC, or short code to keep the user from typing in a very lengthy url.

Good luck everyone!

Shawn Case
Business Development Directore
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? peglegtrading 12/5/12 12:38 PM
Many thanks for the workaround. Currently I am accessing g+ from an htc chacha and the navigation is incredibly slow once I get to the destination page intended to review. Is it as clunky and difficult to maneuver on more powerful smartphones as well?
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? stagl 12/8/12 11:49 AM
Jade,

Are there any plans to introduce a "write a review" button on the mobile google+ page?  We are losing a lot of potential reviews because our link does not resolve well on mobile.  

The suggested work-arounds are troublesome and it is already difficult enough to get a customer's time for generating a review.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? michaelnorth 12/8/12 12:02 PM
Stagl, with you on this -- forcing customers to review outside of a browser is a disaster for local business. As a reviewer myself, I would never bother. Google -- we need mobile browser support for reviews please!
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Paul McTaggart 12/8/12 4:12 PM
This is a serios flaw.  Google needs to get on this!

If Google wants to beat Yelp in reviews it is not going to win the battle by having this bug...
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? atrweb 3/5/13 1:03 PM
I'm getting an error when customer is leaving review from mobile phone on Google places listing - it says "upload failed", and that's it.

Phone has been rebooted,etc.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? MazdaUSA Eugene 3/20/13 9:55 AM
I realize a lot of emotion has been directed towards you, but understand you're the only means of communication we have with Google about this issue.

The people want a mobile friendly Google+ review option, WITHOUT an app.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? VaBeachMatt 3/20/13 12:18 PM
This is EXACTLY the point of this discussion.  What all of us have explained repeatedly was our desire to be able for our customers (or customers of our clients) to be able to pull up a browser or even respond to a QR scan and post their honest review.  Once an app is required, it greatly reduces the odds of a non-incentivized review - well, at least a positive one.  We all know that a disgruntled customer will move heaven and earth to make their voice heard, but a happy one is much more fickle.  

Simply put, if Google doesn't want their reviews to become passed over for Yelp and other easier venues, they need to fix this for everyone - not users of this OS or that phone or whatever - EVERYONE that has a mobile device.  It's not something that is hard to do - they have plenty of software engineers that could have done this months ago - this is simply a lack of effort.  Why they don't want to do it is beyond me.  To me, it's bad business but obviously, their actions (or lack of) show that they disagree.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Jade W. 3/20/13 12:44 PM
Thanks, all, for your feedback about the review-writing experience on mobile. As I said earlier in this thread, right now, writing reviews is only available on Google+ or Google Maps for Android and Google+ Local in iOS. I have and will continue to relay your feedback about wanting a mobile web option to the team. 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? atrweb 3/20/13 12:49 PM
You would think Google would already have a user friendly, streamlined setup for customers to leave reviews for merchant directly through the mobile web browsers (WITHOUT having to use the Google app).............
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 3/20/13 4:28 PM
Until then everyone can use this walkthrough as a solution in the meantime.

Shawn
Liqueo, Inc
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 3/20/13 4:30 PM
@Jade W Why can't Google just utilize HTML 5 for Google reviews so this can be possilbe?

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? internetlocal 3/20/13 5:57 PM
I just tried this and was successful.

https:/plus.google.com/local/city,state/s/businessname  replacing the city state and businessname with the actual ones ie,

Type this into the browser and it should work. (another option is to create a QR code for that URL - I attached one to this post)

The page is NOT mobile friendly but you click the pencil image and get the review form. Write review as normal and Post.

But Jade's advice is probably the best.

John

Brent Biro 4/22/13 9:49 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? fbare 6/2/13 4:17 PM
Jade, your response if from Mar/20 and we're shocked Google didn't fix this simple issue yet. Most people out there are not like Bay Area techies to download yet another app or sign up for yet another social net G+. 80% of our customers are carrying iphones/ipads and told us they could not leave us a simple review... the review button is still not there. The world is increasingly mobile and fast moving, we had 1 chance to get our customers' attention for reviews but now we lost it for good!
We thought Google was trying to grow customers on G Places and we ditched Facebook but we'll have to ditch G Places and seek Yelp or other areas.
Google eng, think user friendliness and not yet another feature or app.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? intrr 6/15/13 1:20 PM
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Terry Dorland 6/17/13 9:57 AM
Hello Jade,
How do you go about posting a review on the G+ app for android?  I don't see the option to do so.

Thanks,

Terry

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? internetlocal 6/17/13 11:28 AM
See Jade's post March 20 above.   You should use Google Maps App on Android. You must also be signed in to your Google account in order to post a review. Once Maps is open click the magnifying glass to search. Enter the name of the Business that you wish to search. Click the Write a Review button. Sign in or SignUP to continue.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Launch Josh 6/25/13 8:41 AM
I still can't believe after a year this is still not resolved. There are so many unnecessary steps involved, users taking a direct link should just have a mobile site they can quickly login and leave a review, no app required. This is basic functionality, there seems to be a massive disregard for user experience and misunderstanding of how small businesses work. Users shouldn't have to jump through hurdles to leave a review and use a service that is supported by their very use.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? ideamaned 6/25/13 8:50 AM
I agree completely Josh. This is screwed up.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? notappy 7/25/13 11:45 PM
+1 couldn't agree more.

There should be one, universal, browser based solution.

Sort it out Google, if you want to be the powerhouse you envision this certainly isn't the way to go.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? JSwish 7/26/13 7:42 AM
It's been so long that despite it still being a major problem I've stopped caring about it (which is probably exactly what they're hoping for). 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Matt W M 7/26/13 8:31 AM
The reality is that we're just wasting our virtual breath. If G wanted to listen to the many comments here (and in the other similar threads elsewhere) they would simply re-enable the code that they removed when they created the mobile versions of their psges. They don't have to figure out how to fix this it, they just have to turn it back on.

At the end of the day G isn't enabling the ability to rate directly from the browser is because of another attempted power grab.  They feel that people will want to rate on their pages enough that they will download their app to do it.  I for one will refuse this and will simply steer customers to Yelp and other similar sites to increase their rep on.

They could fix this in 10 minutes. It hasn't happened simply because they have refused to. Stop begging them to fix it and move on. Find ways to work around them. Go to other servives that aren't being this foolish.

At.least that's what I'll be doing.

Later all

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 7/31/13 11:39 AM
They fixed it!!!!!!  (or killed it!)

iOS app is being closed! So fingers crossed you will be able to review via Google Maps for iOS. I switched to Android recently because I was tired of various restrictions such as this.

Check out my work around here in the meantime:
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? g?s 8/26/13 5:41 PM
Thanks for posting your workaround. Have you heard of any updates since you did your last post? 
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 8/27/13 9:35 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't received any updates. 

On my Android (Samsung Galaxy S4) I can rate from within Google Map App. I am going to look for a way to launch this from a QR or NFC so the customer can use their own device at point of sale.

As for my iPhone 5, I have not found a work around. This can only be an Apple struggle to push app use. I would assume Google would rather open it up to everyone to rate from anywhere versus loosing out to competitors. I will keep everyone posted on an iPhone work around as it develops.

Until then continue using this workaround.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Jimmy Mino 9/13/13 11:41 AM
Seems like the "Review" function is not back on the Google Maps app both on android and ios.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Liqueo_com_Shawn 9/13/13 12:02 PM
These screenshots are taken on my Galaxy S4 using Chrome browser. Seems to work fine from here.

You can see "rate and review" stars at the bottom of the second image.

Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Galin McMahon 9/14/13 8:40 PM
I refuse to use Google+.  I already use Facebook which is the clear winner in the social networking game.  It is a real shame that Google keeps dropping their good apps like Local in favor of an all in one search bar.  I used to leave google reviews for every restaurant I went to, now I can't.  Looking at posted reviews it appears that nobody else can either as they're all old.  I guess if google made android they are free to kill it too.  My next phone will be an iphone and my restaurant reviews will be on urbanspoon.
"Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Ericka Nelson 10/1/13 7:27 AM
Regardless of scanning QR codes or simply trying to write a review, a mobile phone such as my Android, does not provide the capabilities to write a review.
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? internetlocal 10/1/13 4:22 PM
I believe that you should be able to leave a review. Use Google Maps App. Search for the business and include their city and state for example The Fox Theatre, Atlanta, Ga.

You should see a view, mostly of a map and a section at the bottom with info on the Fox. Touch that section and drag it up to expose a section that will NOT be a Write a review button, but rather a section that shows "Rate and review" with 5 Stars under it. They look faint, but if you touch a star for rating it JUMPS, turns the stars gold and put a cursor into a text area with the keypad showing, ready for you to type your review.

I hope that you find that works for you. 

John
Re: "Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app. ??? Galin McMahon 10/1/13 4:54 PM
Thanks!  Okay, I might have to like the new format after all.
More topics »