Categories: Need advice? :

Google requesting my business license?

Showing 1-19 of 19 messages
Google requesting my business license? CommonwealthSunoco 4/23/12 8:32 AM
What's the issue you're experiencing?

I received an email from local...@google.com. They are requesting a scanned copy of my business lisence. They sent the request to my business email and not to the email I used to create my listing.

I just want to know if this is a legitimate request and not some scam.

Thank you

Re: Google requesting my business license? Linda Buquet ~ 4/23/12 10:00 AM
That appears to be the correct Google email but I've never heard of them emailing to request a business license.
The email issue is a little odd, but I do know they sometimes email the business email as well as or instead of
the claim email.

Please provide link to your Place page and I'll see if I can get Google to take a look.

Linda
Re: Google requesting my business license? CommonwealthSunoco 4/23/12 1:59 PM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for your response.

Here is the link to the places page:

I wish I could give you a cleaner link, but that function doesn't seem to be working right now.

Here is the citation:

Commonwealth Sunoco
850 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 232-1188

Thanks for your help.
Re: Google requesting my business license? Linda Buquet ~ 4/23/12 2:08 PM
Ya you're right, however you got to that link, the link feature didn't work right.

I'll check with Google about the license request. It's probably some new verification thing they are doing.

Linda
Re: Google requesting my business license? CommonwealthSunoco 4/23/12 2:13 PM
How did you get that link?

I usually grab it using the "link" option at the top right, but it often doesn't work for me. I've noticed it won't work properly depending on how I got to the listing.

Anyway, thanks for digging into this :)
Re: Google requesting my business license? Linda Buquet ~ 4/23/12 2:37 PM
I had to copy your phone into map search then click link to Place page, then click "link" then strip out the phone from the URL.
Maybe there's an easier way, but that's how I got it.

Linda
Re: Google requesting my business license? vanessagene 4/23/12 3:00 PM
@Commonwealth -- Just to confirm: Yes, that request is from the Google Places support team. 
Re: Google requesting my business license? Linda Buquet ~ 4/23/12 3:12 PM
Thanks for confirming Vanessa.
Re: Google requesting my business license? jim.jaggers 4/23/12 4:29 PM
I learned this trick from Vanessa the other day.  From the input_srcid= URL, click on the map and then click on the listing name to go back into the listing. The Link link now gives you the CID= version of the URL.
Re: Google requesting my business license? Linda Buquet ~ 4/23/12 4:48 PM
Cool beans!  Thanks Jim. That does the same sorta as my phone # method but with Vs method then the
name is in the URL, instead of the phone #.  Always a new trick to learn around here, huh?

Re: Google requesting my business license? a11c 4/24/12 9:12 AM
been using that "new" trick for about two years now, still works great.
Re: Google requesting my business license? ABC Lock & key Inc 4/27/12 8:21 PM
I would strongly support this program. That's the best way to get rid of all the spammers on google places. Looking forward to see google push this program to another level.
Re: Google requesting my business license? CommonwealthSunoco 4/28/12 9:53 AM
Thank you for confirming :)

And thanks everyone else for contributing.
Re: Google requesting my business license? jliles29 4/30/12 8:53 AM
Commonwealth Sunoco- It looks like your place page is still live. Did you end up sending in your business license to Google?

What would happen if you didn't send over the scanned business?
Re: Google requesting my business license? snjames 5/2/12 4:40 AM
I hope such requests are an exception to the rule; since it is my understanding that in the UK, Sole Traders (i.e. the majority of UK businesses) are not required to hold a formal business license.
Re: Google requesting my business license? vanessagene 5/2/12 1:25 PM
To follow up here, since there seems to be a lot of talk around this thread: In very rare cases we may ask for documentation of business ownership or authority in order to confirm Place page verification. Nothing's changed with the current verification processes we have in place.  

Re: Google requesting my business license? Linda Buquet ~ 5/2/12 1:34 PM
Vanessa, I posted the same thing twice at Mikes blog today and then copied your latest reply as well just now.

Linda
Re: Google requesting my business license? Scott Dodge 5/2/12 1:36 PM
Vanessa,

Any chance you could explain why this is? I'm generally curious.

Thanks,
Scott
Re: Google requesting my business license? vanessagene 5/2/12 5:18 PM
Thanks, Linda! @Scott -- Yeah, what I said above is all I really have to say about it. I'll keep you posted if I have more to share.