1. Having dozens of subscriptions, the old format was better for pinpointing what videos I wanted to see, in what order. After that, the videos I have seen were gone from my subscription box, but still present in my Favourites and, if recent enough, if I clicked Subscriptions. Why would they just grey out? It makes no sense to me and I have yet to see an explanation.
2. Speaking of "yet to see", even though I have seen comments "I like the new homepage" (1% of all comments, number pulled out of my ass but I'm sure close to the actual statistics), most people that weren't against the new layout were just ambivalent, and those who weren't never stated why they liked it (I can assume they are a. anti-conformists b. people that are subscribed only to RWJ, MGM, Mosh and Failblog, not tens of subscriptions like the ones that are complaining).
3. "When I wake up, I like to surf my favourite sites while drinking my morning coffee and having the first cigarette of the day. I go in and out of each site pretty fast, and my top site was YouTube because every time I click the icon in my Chrome Bookmark, every piece of material is (almost) personally addressed to myself, since I was the one who subscribed to different users that made videos I like. Some people make diverse videos, some of which I do no like, but which I easily click away." -past self
"What the fuck gives? How many pages are there?! So much useless information! If I want to read the description for whatever reason, why must it fill half of my home page?" -present self, which now loses more time sorting shit instead of enjoying shit (the fine art of shit should not be dismissed so easily).
Since I'm here, some further recomandations:
1. The comment box at the top of the subscriptions; nice choice. I sometimes forget to check if I received any comments, and it's PRACTICAL to put it there (notice the emphasis on the word "practical"? The lack of it is our problem with the new layout).
2. There was a time when I clicked a video from my subscription and YouTube would make a playlist with all of them. Instead of that giant list of subscriptions with in-depth details concerning it, the playlist with the essentials (name, user, thumbnail) was sufficient. Make what you will with that playlist info...
3. We LIKED the "Recommended for you section" and I sometimes (emphasis needed... <u>sometimes!<\u>) used the box at the bottom with what people I'm subscribed to and friends "favourited" and liked.
4. Promote already popular videos on the right corner, and that's it! A "Popular today" box should be optional and should stay at the bottom of the page. Promote the lesser know videos that have good ratings but little views, in another OPTIONAL box.
5. Notice the recurrent theme here? I'll give you a hint: Optional.
6. A lot of people, like myself, tried the new layout. The vast majority changed back. For future references, before you say "Millions have opted for the new layout", check how many of them went right back.
7. Brush your teeth twice a day; when you wake up and when you go to bed. Many gum problems can be caused if you brush excesevly and/or wrong. Not much to do with the subject at hand but, godsdamn it, there are so many suggestions and advice on topic in my head that I just want to end in a joke or I'll be typing until morning.
8. One last one, though. LISTEN to the users and the feedback. It's been mostly negative and YouTube has not responded in any way, be it comment or posting a "Click here to get the old home page; we're sorry" button. If a response, video or text, has been released addressing this current problem (you made it a problem, we just responded to your bullshit), I failed to see it after considerable search. Even though it took a couple of hours (I have more than enough time to answer questions that haunt me, such as "Why, YouTube?" and "Could there possibly be a smurf/disney cross-over porno?"), I have read EVERY SINGLE COMMENT POSTED ANYWHERE RELATED TO THIS TOPIC. I know, but being an insomniac gets pretty boring after enough SciFi films and 90's sitcoms.
soon to be ex-user if shit ain't getting done: Segepop