Re: Updates to your Homepage - What's New & What's Next
Mar 18, 2012 10:24 AM
Posted in group:
@copycat042 Very good idea about this questionnaire, I really hope the devs and the people at youtube pay more attention to us this way I'll post mine as well:
1. I used the homepage mainly for watching videos from channels I had subscribed to, and sometimes watched videos from the recommended section. The list view the last homepage had for subscriptions made it very easy to know what every channel had uploaded as you could see 4 videos per channel and you could erase a video you had already watched and so it cleared space in your homepage. Another section I use a lot is my favorites and the history section, which I use regularly.
I don't really use my channel page or care to visit it,
I very rarely care or visit someone else's channel page.
i don't care about the social aspect in youtube.
I don't care about what others watch, like or subscribe to.
i don't care about popular or trending videos or channels.
2. Those aspects were the list view of the page, showing 4 videos per channel with the option to display more and especially the x button to remove content you had already watched or didn't want to. Another thing is the space was more efficiently used (as copycat042 and many others here have stated many times) because you could customize the page by modules and choose what was important for you and what wasn't, and I customized mine to prioritize subscription videos.
3. I didn't really have any problems with the last page design.
4. No element in this new layout makes this any easier, on the contrary.
5. The page space is not used efficiently used, only one video per channel, videos organized in chronological order instead of by uploader, too much scrolling, sections in the homepage I don't care about and/or rarely use (more specifically recommended channels and videos, and social), and no way to eliminate the content I have already watched or don't care to watch.
Just one suggestion to the youtube team (and sort of a question): In the old layout we had a good page for our subscription videos and people in this forums seem to always ask for the same things (x to remove videos, organize videos by uploader showing more than one at a time, etc) so why not make that same page with its former features in the subscriptions page? I'ts not like you have to make everything from scratch and you can keep the homepage as is. the way I see it most people that used the homepage in the last layout didn't have subscription or had only a few, so they didn't use the subscriptions page as they should, but to people like us who prioritize the subscriptions the change was for the worse and we don't have the features we need, so why not optimize each page for its intended use.